Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves Valve
9. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 13:54 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:48:
Panickd wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:58:
Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:44:
People change careers all the time for many reasons. You can do a lot better than the gaming industry sadly, the wages are shit for many positions comparatively, it really is a labor of love.

I'm pretty sure the pay at Valve is crazy good so long as you're working on the right (i.e. high profile and successful) project. But I'm positive the whole operation is complete shit for everyone else.

Pretty sure it's pretty good for just about anyone, though pay in the industry tends to be very bonus driven and bonuses come in most for releases - Valve also has a fairly significant other revenue source.

I'll never get why people are always so convinced everyone is miserable and disjointed at Valve. Valve has had very few people leave on their own volition, and only had one layoff.
People seem pretty happy to me.

Actually you can't really know with any certainty how many people have left Valve or how many layoffs or force outs have ever happened at the company. Unless the people that leave choose to talk about it, you'll never hear about it. Valve is a privately held company that doesn't have to blab all it's going ons to the public, and they don't. The people who have left and chosen to talk about it have made it pretty clear that if you can jive with the culture there and get involved on the right projects it's a great place to work. But the inverse is true as well. There is a massive culture shock in going to work for Valve when coming from nearly anywhere else and very little help in the company for overcoming it. And apparently that's the way they want it. So if you can't get with the culture or get on the right projects it's going to be a shitty place to work.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Rovio Exec: Why New ĎAngry Birdsí Is Free Jan 6, 2014, 12:01 Panickd

Ummm... because the ad supported Angry Birds made several times the revenue of the paid for Angry Birds? And adding a F2P model to that can only result in dollar signs in the eyes of investors everywhere? Just a wild guess.  

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves Valve
5. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 11:58 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:44:
People change careers all the time for many reasons. You can do a lot better than the gaming industry sadly, the wages are shit for many positions comparatively, it really is a labor of love.

I'm pretty sure the pay at Valve is crazy good so long as you're working on the right (i.e. high profile and successful) project. But I'm positive the whole operation is complete shit for everyone else.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 5, 2014, 10:24 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 20:39:
To the original point: For PC there's Windows, and there's Linux. Most of us don't LIKE using Windows (esp v8.x), but it's a defacto monopoly and runs vast amounts of software that's simply not available on Linux. There's no choice.

The definition of "sheep" in the vernacular is someone that is easily led. Out of a myriad of choices they do the thing everyone else does b/c they are easily influenced or are afraid of standing out. The problem with Windows is there are no viable alternatives. With no choice, the label of sheep simply doesn't apply.

The whole "no choice" argument is an illusion that Microsoft is happy to have perpetuated. For 99% of the things 99% of people will ever use a computer for Linux is a perfectly viable alternative to Windows. Most people don't use it because A) Windows comes with nearly every computer sold (home and office) and the 99% in question isn't about to install their own operating system let alone build their own PC and B) Windows is the only OS they've ever used so they've gotten used to the way it works. That's why everyone "hates" Windows 8 so much, because it doesn't work the way that previous versions (since Windows 95) have taught us to believe Windows should work. People switching to Ubuntu or OS X would run into the same stumbling blocks. There isn't anything particularly bad about Windows 8 other than the fact that it doesn't know if it wants to be a tablet OS or a desktop OS. Once you beat it into submission, it's fine.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jan 4, 2014, 21:09 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:48:
Gabe Newell on what makes Valve tick.

Given how late HL 3 is I'd say the clock was broken.

Technically HL3 has no release date and therefore can never be "late".

Plus it took them 6 years to do the second one and that was before TF2, Portal 2, Dota 2, CS:GO and for the most part Steam itself. Making a regular old software product that people just pay for once and are done with is no longer Valve's M.O. If you can't use the game as a platform to sell hats, keys, cards, backgrounds, emoticons and other useless geegaws it's not worth making.

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
14. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 16:58 Panickd

Clancy wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:17:
Yeah, they had to add DRM back in from the GOG versions...that is the real reason why they needed to "update".

Paranoid much?

Yes, I'm sure that Bethesda is going to take the time to add DRM to a 16 year old game. Makes total sense. </sarcasm>

News Comments > On Sale (1)
35. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 16:47 Panickd

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:07:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:54:
Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:48:
panbient wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:45:
That and I got #10 like three times in a row hahaha
Just sell it on the market and buy the one your are missing.
Those cards will disappear from your account tomorrow

Uhhm, why would they disappear from his account? The Summer Sale cards are still available on the Market, which means they are still in peoples inventories.

It is different this time, read the Steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/snowglobefaq

Unlike previous badges, once the sale ends the cards will disappear. Make sure to trade and craft your badges before Jan 3rd 11am PST.

That sucks, for a lot of people. Personally I don't care, as I've been selling them as I get them. Odd that they changed it, but I suppose they want to be able to reuse them next year, whereas there is no point in reusing the Summer Sale cards.

In all likelihood Valve got tired of the "event" items clogging up the market and wanted to give the cards more value and light a fire under people to buy them rather than taking the attitude of "I'll pick them up whenever". I personally think it's a great thing because it gets people to stop sitting on these items hoping they can put them on the market later for insanely stupid sums of money.

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
36. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 14:39 Panickd

Fantaz wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:09:
Panickd wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:56:
Why? If you bought it before it was pulled you still own it and can still download it anytime. They're just not selling new copies. And this isn't just affecting Steam. It was pulled from every digital store for every platform.

Steam has the right to remove a game from your library at any time, it's stated in the terms. we're only renting out games. it's been discussed in Blue's News comments sections on many occasions.

Redmask wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:07:
So you don't buy Xbox games either? They can be pulled the store shelves or removed from the on demand service which has happened before.

no, not from the xbox online marketplace. only get physical. and on Steam only games I play are Valve ones (because i have to).

You do realize that before long you won't be able to play any games at all if you insist on not buying via digital distribution, right? I can absolutely guarantee you that before the death of the PS4 and XBox One we will see the death of game discs sold at retail. Everything will be sold via Live or PSN for their respective consoles.

News Comments > On Sale (1)
10. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 13:04 Panickd

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:48:
panbient wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:45:
That and I got #10 like three times in a row hahaha
Just sell it on the market and buy the one your are missing.
Those cards will disappear from your account tomorrow

Uhhm, why would they disappear from his account? The Summer Sale cards are still available on the Market, which means they are still in peoples inventories.

They're not doing that anymore though. The Snow Globe cards are gone at the end of the sale and any naughty or nice crates you collected over the "Smissmas" event in TF2 will be permanently locked as of the 6th. I imagine the Holiday event items in other Valve games are going to be handled similarly from here on out.

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
23. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 12:56 Panickd

Fantaz wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:52:
this is why i don't buy Steam games

Why? If you bought it before it was pulled you still own it and can still download it anytime. They're just not selling new copies. And this isn't just affecting Steam. It was pulled from every digital store for every platform.

News Comments > Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record
10. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Dec 30, 2013, 11:51 Panickd

BitWraith wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 11:41:
This bodes well for the PC as a platform. 3.25 million units of Skyrim on the PC is a pretty good number if you consider that the profit margins on the steam version are much better than the console counterpart.

No licensing fees to the console maker
No manufacturing
No shipping
No returns due to production faults

Beyond Valve's cut of the sale, Bethesda makes more per unit sold on the PC. So, console versions would have to sell many more units to make the same.

I'm aware that there was a physical copy of the PC version, but I'm sure that accounts for a tiny fraction of total units sold.

The physical copies of Skyrim for the PC were still tied to Steam (that's how I got my PC version). And the console version of just about any game that comes out on PC and consoles sells many, many times more on the consoles than it does on the PC. Most people don't want to have to futz around with keeping their PC's current to run current gen games when they can drop $300-400 on a console and be done with it. The only cross platform game that has come out in the last several years that might be close in sales cross-platform is Diablo III and that's only because the console port came out way after the PC version (and it was a very different game on consoles).

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
15. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 12:18 Panickd

ldonyo wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:45:
Panickd wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:26:
Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:22:
This is from the shareholders? What about the players? Well serves them right at this point.

This is from greedy lawyers looking to get shareholders involved. How they plan to prove that the entire company was devalued because of one game (that sold well despite it's issues I might add) is beyond me.

They'll prove it by showing the drop in EA's stock price, which is a valuation of the entire company.

That doesn't prove that Battlefield 4 was the cause of that stock drop though. As I said, despite the bugs BF4 has been on the bestseller lists since it was released. And stock dips happen all the time for a lot of reasons. If they're going to hitch their pony to the BF4 wagon they've got a tough road ahead. What else can a game publisher do but release a game that sells well?

This is a nuisance lawsuit from lawyers looking for some "go away" money that the shareholders in the lawsuit will never see.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
7. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 11:26 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:22:
This is from the shareholders? What about the players? Well serves them right at this point.

This is from greedy lawyers looking to get shareholders involved. How they plan to prove that the entire company was devalued because of one game (that sold well despite it's issues I might add) is beyond me.

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
9. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 22:40 Panickd

Gee YouTube being unapologetic? That's so unlike them!  

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
15. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:42 Panickd

djinn wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:22:
Panickd wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:57:
Frijoles wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:21:
I played the Arma II version when it first came out. Other players were more of a threat than the zombies. I recall them removing any sort of negative punishment for killing other players, to make it more realistic. Is that still the case?

Beyond the "bandit" clothes was there ever any real punishment for being a dick in DayZ? No. And there still isn't beyond other players hunting down the dick in question which hardly ever happens. DayZ is what happens when you let people play to their basest instincts in game form. Even the people who would usually be friendly have a shoot first mentality because to not do so is to repeat hours of belly crawling for the basic needs of your survival. It gets old fast and isn't worth $10 let alone $30.

Vanilla gets old very fast. Looks like standalone adds even more tedium than the original (shoes wearing out?). Private hives and the mod community have been tweaking the rules and loot spawn to much better ratios in my opinion. Haven't played vanilla since last year.

When mods are required to fix a game that is itself a mod, that's just plain bad design. Not that DayZ ever had much real "design" to it. I'm seeing pretty much the same scenario playing out in Nether. You can never do anything beyond a few hours because some dick is going to come along out of the blue and shoot you and make you start from square one again. There is a reason most PvP MMO's don't do the permadeath thing: it's not fucking fun!

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
10. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:57 Panickd

Frijoles wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:21:
I played the Arma II version when it first came out. Other players were more of a threat than the zombies. I recall them removing any sort of negative punishment for killing other players, to make it more realistic. Is that still the case?

Beyond the "bandit" clothes was there ever any real punishment for being a dick in DayZ? No. And there still isn't beyond other players hunting down the dick in question which hardly ever happens. DayZ is what happens when you let people play to their basest instincts in game form. Even the people who would usually be friendly have a shoot first mentality because to not do so is to repeat hours of belly crawling for the basic needs of your survival. It gets old fast and isn't worth $10 let alone $30.

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
9. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 4, 2013, 20:21 Panickd

So "fixing" the game is their number one priority but making sure it was finished (or even "finished") was not?

Great. Nice to see another developer who can't be trusted to ship working code. Oh, and look, it's published by EA! What a coincidence!

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2013, 10:29 Panickd

Once publishers began tying developer bonuses to Metacritic scores developers were bound to begin paying for good reviews. It's not like this hasn't been happening forever. Top reviewers get all kinds of perks from the companies that make the games. They rarely pay for the games they review. They get flown out to launch parties for big titles and new consoles by the companies that make them. All of that is just paying for reviews in a different way.  

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2013, 14:59 Panickd

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 13:50:
I'd like to win an Oscar.

Even though I've only been an extra twice and wound up not being visible on screen both times.

Good luck to us both, EA!

And I'd like to play in the NHL. Which seems unlikely as I have gone undrafted yet again...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: 'PS4 PSN Game Prices Will Be Changed' - Sony. Nov 27, 2013, 12:12 Panickd

EA's games were priced at a eye-watering £62.99, though they have since dropped their prices to £59.99.

That's still nearly $100 US! WTF? I'd hate to try and buy a special edition of a game if I lived in the UK. I'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford it!

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo