Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 572 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
26. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:20 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:14:
Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:10:
I would agree except that at least two of the games I have on Origin were pulled into Origin from Steam (they still had to be downloaded in Origin, obviously). Ubisoft is the publisher of these games and they could easily pull the games from Steam into UPlay and allow me to play them directly from UPlay if they wanted to. There is zero reason I should need to run two digital distribution clients to play a single game. It's just laziness/cheapness on Ubisoft's part.

That's completely different, as Origin is giving you additional licensed copies of those games as a courtesy. They are not just taking the Steam requirement out of your Steam games, because that's illegal. I guess you could complain about Ubisoft not doing the same charitable thing, but that's a bit petty...

Then those games shouldn't be appearing in my UPlay screen. I didn't purchase them there and they have no reason to be there. They ran fine from Steam without UPlay's app before Ubisoft decided UPlay should be an application for distribution of it's games rather than just a DRM scheme. It's shoddy design on UBisoft's part. If you want people using your store to buy games don't be launching someone else's software from your own when they go to play a game. If you want to bring everything you make out of other apps into your own then those games should launch directly from your own platform, otherwise leave them where they are and don't annoy me with your lower rent software.

Say what you want about Origin but at least EA had enough of a brain to realize that sending your users to another app to launch games was just a stupid idea.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:10 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:56:
Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:33:
I hate that it sees your Ubisoft games in Steam and then launches Steam to play those games. Just let me pull it into UPlay and launch it from there if you must but don't launch an entirely different digital distribution platform so that I can play your game. All that does is make your less robust application look pointless. I shouldn't have to be running Steam and UPlay to run a game.

If you bought the game on Steam, or redeemed key you bought somewhere else on Steam, then Steam is the DRM requirement for running that game. There's no way around that, except buying the game straight from Ubisoft instead.

I would agree except that at least two of the games I have on Origin were pulled into Origin from Steam (they still had to be downloaded in Origin, obviously). Ubisoft is the publisher of these games and they could easily pull the games from Steam into UPlay and allow me to play them directly from UPlay if they wanted to (remember these games are already using UPlay's "phone home" DRM scheme, otherwise they wouldn't be showing up in UPlay). There is zero reason I should need to run two digital distribution clients to play a single game. It's just laziness/cheapness on Ubisoft's part.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 15:16.

20. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 14:33 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:22:
I only used UPlay for FC3.

It was this annoying thing that opened when I launched the game, and once hung without me noticing, causing Steam to think I had played for 70 hours straight.

I never explored it. Never clicked a button. Never tried to figure out what all these points it was giving me were and how I may or may not be able to redeem them. It was an unnecessary, unwanted nuisance, a redundant layer on top of a layer already doing everything it did.

People used to say the same things about Steam in it's early days. UPlay will get better if Ubisoft will put some time and effort into it. Right now it's in a pretty sad state though.

I hate that it sees your Ubisoft games in Steam and then launches Steam to play those games. Just let me pull it into UPlay and launch it from there if you must but don't launch an entirely different digital distribution platform so that I can play your game. All that does is make your less robust application look pointless. I shouldn't have to be running Steam and UPlay to run a game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 14:20 Panickd

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 09:39:
Analyst labels PlayStation Now 'a joke'.

Still incredibly skeptical of it working. We'll see, I guess...

Anyone get in on the beta?

Michael Pachter's track record for predicting anything in gaming is pretty pathetic. He does little to no research to come to his conclusions and then phrases his "analysis" in the most provocative way possible so that he can attract lazy game journalists to come to him for quotes hoping to set up some sort of self fulfilling cycle. In short, Pachter is an analyst who realized that being an analyst was hard work and doesn't get you as much attention as just randomly pulling things out of your ass and ranting about them.

News Comments > John Carmack on Leaving id
14. Re: John Carmack on Leaving id Feb 4, 2014, 21:58 Panickd

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:10:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 19:51:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 19:07:
Let me translate. Id wanted me to work on actual games and all I want to do is puke 4 hour speeches about
video drivers.

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 19:47:
Thanks for making us want to dig our ear drums out with a fork every year.

We get it. Someone tied you down and forced you to listen to his keynotes A Clockwork Orange style.

Romero was right all along. Wasted money on ROCKETS AND YAPPED NON STOP FOR 10 years.

So what you're saying is that John Romero made you his bitch? And you sucked it down?

News Comments > Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman
12. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 14:22 Panickd

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 12:57:
So the Board kicks out Ballmer AND Gates because they want to shake things up, then they pick this guy as CEO.

Ca plus ce change, etc.

Umm... the board had nothing to do with either Ballmer or Gates leaving. Gates has been very public in saying he wanted to take on more of an advisory role and spend more time on his foundation for the last couple years at least. And I'm thinking Ballmer has had his exit planned for a long while as well. He was never as passionate about Microsoft once Gates stepped away. He certainly wasn't going to stick around without ol' Bill to give him some cover.

They didn't want change. On the contrary they're looking for Microsoft to continue walking the path that it's on. They just want it to execute better.

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
16. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > $32M Feb 3, 2014, 21:15 Panickd

Bumpy wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 20:47:
Rockstar is definitely getting their money's worth out of that game engine, that's for sure.

I'd like to see them do comprehensive environment destruction and interaction in their next engine. It is so pathetically lacking in today's games.

In a different vein, I think a new setting would be awesome for GTA6. Give me a sci-fi future world with things like hover cars, laser weapons, high tech gadgets and alien races.

You basically described a small part of Saints Row IV. GTA is the semi-realistic heist/crime family game while the Saints Row series has been the "what crazy shit can we put in next" GTA clone.

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
10. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > $32M Feb 3, 2014, 18:50 Panickd

Metasparks wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 17:45:
Hey Blue. Typo in headline. Not > $32M. Should be > 32M copies

No, GTA 5 did indeed do sales in excess of 32 million dollars. So it's technically correct, typo or not.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 2, 2014, 10:32 Panickd

NicklePop wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 21:16:
Buy gold and silver.

Avoid bitcoin.

The coming USD collapse will make you rich on the other end, provided a viable economy appears accepting metals.

Or better yet play the market, sell the metals during the USD collapse and buy real estate with the proceeds.

(likely that we'll return to 99% of pre-FRN economics)

I would think that in the event of a total economy collapse (which is what would happen if the USD collapsed) a hunk of metal in the convenient shape of a gun is going to gain you a lot more than gold or silver. And will probably allow you to take whatever real estate some other fool bought during the collapse with his gold and silver too.

News Comments > EA Class Action Suit Plans
13. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 20:41 Panickd

Quboid wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 20:13:
The shareholder's perspective is that EA knew that BF4 was flawed before it was released. Therefore, by telling investors before the launch that they were about to release this mega awesome new game, they intentionally mislead investors to push their share price up. Investors who then lost out when the problems became apparent and their value was hit.

The thing is, I don't understand why their stock took a hit over BF4. The game sold extremely well despite it's issues so EA did make money on it and will no doubt make even more as the various DLC packs are released. EA is a game publisher. They published a game. The game made them a profit. That should be the end as far as any shareholder is concerned. I don't understand how any of that warrants a drop in stock price.

And as far as them playing up the release of a game that they knew was going to sell well: isn't that what every publicly traded publisher does with it's big titles?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 1, 2014, 20:07 Panickd

LittleMe wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 16:19:
Mining bitcoins is now done on a more industrial scale with ASIC chips. GPU mining is obviously not profitable unless the BTC value climbs enormously in value which will probably not happen in the short-medium future.

GPU mining is, for now, profitable with scrypt-based crypto-currencies.

All crypto currencies are only worth what the community thinks they are which means they are now and will always be subject to massive nonsensical spikes and dips in value. They aren't backed by anything of any true value nor the promise of any corporate or governmental body. Bitcoin could easily spike thousands of dollars in value in a few months and lose all that value in a week because there isn't any real regulation beyond what the community believes it should be worth. The only people who really made any sort of killing on Bitcoins got in way early and have exchanged all or the vast majority of what they mined by now.

News Comments > EA Class Action Suit Plans
9. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 19:57 Panickd

I am not sure what EA did in the wrong here from a stockholder perspective. They made a title and got it to the shelves in time for the holidays and it sold really well despite the roll out glitches which EA went to work fixing as soon as they could. What else could they do? Delaying the roll out would have screwed their earnings in a very important quarter which, so far as any shareholders should be concerned, would've been worse. Why were there no shareholder lawsuits over the SimCity launch which was botched just as badly if not worse?

This is just some bottom feeding law firm looking for some go away money.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 21:08 Panickd

Quboid wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 19:45:
Is the latest Splinter Cell, Blacklist, any good? I liked the first few Splinter Cell games very much and I'd welcome a return to that. When Ubisoft went off the rails with their DRM I ignored the series but it isn't used any more. I'm not keen on Uplay but I'm putting up with it for Far Cry 3 these days and it's not killing me.

Blacklist is awesome. It's particularly good if you have someone to run through the coop campaigns with. Doing the coop missions was some of the most fun I've had with video games in a very long time. And, for the record, you need to install Ubisoft's UPlay to play it and to play coop.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 30, 2014, 20:28 Panickd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 20:23:
More importantly, look at all the free goods from psn+.

Not that I'm for this but, Microsoft is starting to give away freebies for Live Gold subs on XBox One.

But yeah, there's no way this works except for idiots. You'll get basically the same trade in from Gamestop for god sake.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: After Google pressure, Samsung will dial back Android tweaks Jan 30, 2014, 20:21 Panickd

While I don't like Google taking a totalitarian type of control on Android, Samsung's stuff has by and large, sucked. That said I wish Google would form a group open to OEMs that would decide on what gets put into future "vanilla" Android releases.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
46. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 15:24 Panickd

Malfrex wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 15:00:
Yes, AMD currently has an advantage over nVidia but that is because until Mantle was released nVidia didn't have any chance to figure out how to implement it in their drivers. That head start is what AMD is planning to ride out, just like when the x86_64 instruction set came out and blew Intel out of the water.

This would be true if AMD hadn't published the Mantle API before they ever implemented it, which they did. They also held very public talks with various developers and encouraged them to share information about and lobby for Mantle. Nvidia has had every chance to be right at the starting line on this, just like they had the chance to be there at the beginning of OpenCL but couldn't be bothered because they were busy making their own proprietary version of it. If Mantle proves to be worth anything I expect they'll minimally support it and make their own proprietary version that they spend all their time optimizing to make it better.

And as for the x86_64 instruction set and Intel, AMD gave Intel every chance to implement their 64 bit instruction set early on (they have a cross-licensing agreement, after all) and Intel was too arrogant to accept that anything worthwhile could come from some other CPU maker so they wasted a lot of R&D money and engineering time coming up with their own 64 bit instruction set (after claiming that 64 bit was overblown and unnecessary for about two years) which no one used for anything. And even when they did implement x86_64 they couldn't stomach calling it the same thing AMD did so they rebranded it even though they made zero changes to their implementation!

Intel should buy Nvidia or vice versa. Their shared corporate narcissism would be a wonder to see.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
24. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 11:41 Panickd

Quboid wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 11:22:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:04:
What most come here wanting to see:

1: Low-end single-player
14% faster

2: 64-player multi-player
25.1% faster

3: Multi-GPU single-player
58% faster

Not bad, lol to where the numbers really look good they put in an Intel Processor, sure Crossfire to, but still lol. Will be interesting to see what a $300 Intel quad will do, aka what more of us have.

It will be nice when publications that do a better job, pump out some benches.

That's very impressive if these are truly representative, especially on high end systems. I saw no reason to believe their performance increases were any better than driver updates talking about huge boosts. We'll see.

I wasn't aware of any reason to expect this to be compatible with Nvidia hardware. If this is effective I'm sure they'll work on something if they're not already. It would be nice if it's compatible but a period of fragmentation is a price worth paying for some innovation.

Do next/current/whatever gen consoles use anything like this, or could they through software/firmware upgrades?

Mantle was developed to be hardware agnostic so theoretically Nvidia could release drivers that could make use of it. Though given their track record I would expect them to come up with some Nvidia-specific Mantle knock off and tout it as superior in every way.

And yes Mantle can be used with the PS4 and XBox One and it's probably already being used for some games. Part of the reason AMD developed Mantle was to give their APUs a little bit more headroom in performance and the APU is what Sony and Microsoft chose to build their consoles around. I think it'll be a boon to cross platform developers too. Much easier to move your PC game to console with Mantle and vice versa.

News Comments > Valve Beta Streaming Impressions
28. Re: Valve Beta Streaming Impressions Jan 27, 2014, 19:41 Panickd

ledhead1969 wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 17:17:
It was flawless in this setup?:

Server (game being run on) wired to wireless router

to

wireless computer linked to TV (or just another laptop wireless connected)

?

Not flawless, it is a beta. I would describe that setup as playable with ac wireless but it probably depends a lot on interference (at it's highest setting the video encode uses 15mbps according to the FAQ). I get just the slightest amount of lag when streaming from a gaming rig on a wired connection sent to a laptop on wireless with nothing else sharing the wireless connection. Hardwired on both ends it's like you're playing on the host.

17. Re: Valve Beta Streaming Impressions Jan 27, 2014, 13:25 Panickd

Jivaro wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 12:32:
Can a single gaming rig stream more than one game to multiple devices at a time? For example, if I want to play Skyrim on my laptop and my step-son wants to play *insert random FPS here* on his laptop, could we do that? Does it have to be local network streaming or can I do it from a hotel room 500 miles away?

Sorry if this was covered already...new to this particular topic. I haven't been paying attention to it.

Nope. To use the streaming service you must be on the same LAN and you must log in to the two instances of Steam with the same login. If you attempt to login on a third device it will ask you to logout on one of the other two devices. So, same local network, two login limit.

Edit: I haven't tried launching a different game directly on the host machine from what it's streaming but I can't imagine that Steam will allow that.

10. Re: Valve Beta Streaming Impressions Jan 27, 2014, 11:49 Panickd

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:30:
Loose Cannon wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:27:
Connected wireless it was a bit laggy.

That... doesn't sound very promising. Laggy as in noticeable?

The lag depends heavily on your wireless setup and the amount of interference in the area. For me on an ac setup with the host system hardlined into the router it's barely perceptible most of the time. The hitches in the changing frame rate are far more noticeable.

572 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo