Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 582 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics
1. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics Feb 27, 2014, 19:40 Panickd

OMG! What will I do with that extra 128 lines of resolution in crappy FMVs!?!?

But 1080p is the 2K standard for television and computer monitors (and yes it's not really full 2K, just like 4K TVs (and monitors) are running 3840x2160, i.e. not really "4K").

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:19 Panickd

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 12:54:
Of course there is not much in terms of 4k content right now but do you think this will be the case in 5 years?

In terms of filmed entertainment I suspect the next 5 years will be packed to the gills with 4K choices. But in terms of gaming, not so much. This generation of consoles is going to be much like the last in terms of being the lowest common denominator. Now do I think the XBone will always have problems hitting 1080p output? No. Once the developers have had a few years with it I suspect they'll be able to easily coax 1080p out of it at an acceptable framerate. But neither the PS4 nor the XBone is going to be capable of gaming at 4K. And looking at the current crop of video cards that are out there that were likely to be considered for these "next gen" consoles I think it's ludicrous that that was ever a rumor.

So 4K gaming will be a PC only thing for the foreseeable future and as someone who games primarily on the PC, I am totally OK with that.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 12:35 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 10:29:
4k is utterly worthless on a tv unless you're about a foot away or its 100", so don't expect that to matter much. On monitors sure, but not tvs.

4K? They can't even comfortably hit 1080p with these new consoles. Even the PS4 has problems doing it in single player content when the machine has to worry about things like AI. I suspect 4K video content will be another story though (not that there is much of that right now either).

Even modern PCs struggle to game at 4K. It will probably be a year before we get decent 4K monitors and graphics cards beefy enough to push them that don't require enough electricity to power a third world nation.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Google becomes the official voting platform for American Idol Feb 27, 2014, 12:05 Panickd

And not a single shit was given by anyone with half a braincell to spare.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
28. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:00 Panickd

Nom4d wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:14:
Panickd wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 15:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:23:
Lets see how we can make more money, thus increasing scope.

The signs of a never ending, never finished project are popping up every week.

The scope of the game thus far (with all of it's stretch goals) seems unfathomably wide already, which doesn't generally work out well in the end for most would be games.

And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

Yup, anyone who has ever been a part of a very troubled project can see where this is going. Usually it is external factors (executives, marketing, the board, etc) that puts ridiculous requests in that doom a project - these idiots are just doing it to themselves.

This won't end well.

For those who have been paying attention, Chris Robberts has said that some of the promised features will probably not be in at the launch of the game (See a few of the '10 for the Chairman' episodes for example). The intention is to keep content and features coming in for a long time after launch. I get the feeling that a lot of people have their expectations all wrong. Also entitlement and impatience.

In order for them to continuously build in features after launch they actually have to launch something. Continuously promising more, more, more when you haven't actually shown anything playable off yet points to all kinds of bad in the future. They need to buckle down and deliver something, anything, that can be played for all the money they've been taking in.

I like Chris Roberts and I am a huge fan of his previous work but the constant promising and backtracking and selling of nothing is worrying.

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
20. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 15:55 Panickd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:23:
Lets see how we can make more money, thus increasing scope.

The signs of a never ending, never finished project are popping up every week.

The scope of the game thus far (with all of it's stretch goals) seems unfathomably wide already, which doesn't generally work out well in the end for most would be games.

And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
5. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 11:14 Panickd

Kajetan wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 10:50:
Panickd wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 10:48:
This lawsuit is probably going to cost Gearbox more than they will ever be able to make on the Duke Nukem IP.
Why? If Gearbox has the IP, 3DRealms will loose and cover the expenses of the trial.

And, oh, 3DRealms changed the teaser page. In a way it seems, they anticipated all this.

Or 3DR will just declare bankruptcy and leave Gearbox to pay their own lawyers (it probably cost them more just to draw up the paperwork for the trial than they have made off the Duke IP so far). There can't be a whole lot of cash there even to keep the lights on any more.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 11:12 Panickd

Techie714 wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 10:55:
Ma, these open world survival zombie games are REALLY popular. DayZ & Rust must be making millions.

*Great to see ARMA & Wither on there!

Garry recently tweeted that both Garry's Mod and Rust had made something like 30 million dollars each.

And I think DayZ crossed the 40 million dollar threshold awhile back as well.

It's a weird time to live in where you can sell a game that isn't really a game yet and make tons of cash doing it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Microsoft Said to Cut Windows Price 70% to Counter Rivals Feb 23, 2014, 11:04 Panickd

It's a bit hard to cut your (insanely high) prices to "counter" your rivals when your rivals have mostly decided to give their stuff away for free. I think Microsoft needs to hop on the clue train and realize that if they want to continue to push Windows as the platform of choice they need to make it a no cost option (at least on the home consumer end of the spectrum).

Of course Microsoft is so completely clueless that if they ever did do something like that we'd get "Windows Basic" for free that would be so stripped out as to be absolutely useless because that's just how they roll.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 10:50 Panickd

OMG! Could it be! A week where a game that is actually finished tops the Top 10!  

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
2. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 10:48 Panickd

This lawsuit is probably going to cost Gearbox more than they will ever be able to make on the Duke Nukem IP. It's kind of bullshit that 3DR is still trying to flay skin of that dead horse though.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2014, 09:10 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 23:13:
2. What does it matter if they offer tiered options or not, when Verizon is throttling traffic at the peer to peer connection? When you throttle the peer, it doesn't matter if you're on a 5mb connection a 1 gigabit connection, it's just as slow.

This is another reason I think Google is getting into the ISP business. They're not really offering tiers because one of their purposes is to kick other ISPs in the ass to get their speeds up for "reasonable" rates. But I also think they're doing it to bring a hammer down on ISPs who throttle traffic or saturate peer links in hopes of extorting more money out of their peering partners. If you could have an ISP that offers fast speeds but engages in those practices or one that offers faster speeds and you know they don't and won't pull any shady BS for basically the same cost to you, who would you choose?

And Google is already looking at even faster speeds for their fiber even though no one really "needs" the gigabit they're already offering.

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 15:24 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 13:18:
Only problem I have with G Fibe is that it's still $70 per month. That's effing expensive. Sure it's for a gig which is nice to have but totally unnecessary for most. They should have lower end tiers as well. As it stands this is just a service for the affluent and does nothing to address the needs of the poor and underserved.

I pay that now for far less. It's not just that it's a gigabit either, it's a gigabit synchronous, upstream and down which opens up a whole host of possibilities that aren't possible (or are very painful) with current home internet.

And thus far Google has offered a "free" option that is ostensibly "for life" in the areas that they serve which is a 5 Mbit line. They had to put a seven year limit on it because of some red tape but if you pay to have the fiber hooked up to your home (which is a couple hundred dollars at most) you've got a decent enough line for basic web use with no more monthly fees. And considering that that kind of line runs a minimum $15-20 a month in my area right now I would call that a great deal. I only hope Google continues to offer it to newer areas as they expand. I know a lot of places where that kind of thing could work wonders.

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 13:24 Panickd

Frijoles wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 12:51:
Same thing happened in SLC when Google Fiber was announced in Provo (about 30 min away). My speed doubled about 3 weeks after the announcement. No additional cost. It was followed with email spam proclaiming how great Comcast was and how my blazing fast speed would be all I ever needed.

Google just announced they're trying to come to SLC. I'm hoping I get another speed boost from Comcast until they get here. Maybe they can double it again.

They announced they were expanding into Phoenix too so I'm sure Cox and Centurylink will be upping their games here before long. It'll probably be a year before Google clears all the bureaucratic hurdles to start their build out though. If they come to my area I'll sure as hell hop aboard.

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 10:39 Panickd

Look at that, all it takes is actual competition in a market for ISPs to start providing speeds they claimed they couldn't support only months before. Greedy fucks.  

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
3. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 18, 2014, 18:17 Panickd

1badmf wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:10:
sad, but at least Levine will continue to make games. really, they should just rehire all the old Looking Glass guys and bring them back together.

Most of the old Looking Glass guys are doing their own things at developers they founded. It seems to be a pattern in the gaming world that the truly talented individuals work under another talent for only so long before going off to build their own houses and become mentors themselves. I'm sure that's what will happen with Irrational shutting down as well.

News Comments > Rust Punches Cheaters
6. Re: Rust Punches Cheaters Feb 12, 2014, 10:51 Panickd

Acleacius wrote on Feb 12, 2014, 10:00:
I haven't play anything but Coop for at least the last decade, so it doesn't/won't ever effect me. However permanently banning someone, who bought the game during alpha code without a single warning, is an extremely bad idea.

They said, "Don't do it." They said, "We're working on something to deter it." How much more warning do you need?

If you want to cheat in single player games, have at it. But if you feel like cheating in a multiplayer game then you're tacitly accepting reciprocity when/if you're caught doing it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 11, 2014, 09:30 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 23:11:
So Mark donated stock, not actual money. Big difference. And this organization sounds more like it exists as a tax dodge than anything else. Way past due for these fat cats to pay their share.

Tax dodge? You are aware that there is a maximum amount you can donate to charities in the US and past that it has no effect on your taxes, right? Nearly a billion dollars is way, way beyond that point. And if there is such a big difference between "actual money" and stock why aren't more billionaires pouring stock into charities instead of their money?

It must be tough to live in your world where everyone is a totally selfish asshole and can't do anything whatsoever to redeem or better themselves.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 10, 2014, 11:09 Panickd

Verno wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 09:06:
Death threats over a phone app, LOL. What a world.

The writer of Mass Effect got death threats over ME3 and I recall one of the CoD developers getting death threats when they tweaked the reload times and firing rates on a few weapons so slightly it would have been imperceptible if they hadn't listed it in the patch notes. Some game developers have even had the lives of their children threatened over some perceived slight in a game. The dude who used to be Microsoft's Live community manager still gets dozens of threats daily over XBox Live and he hasn't worked for Microsoft for more than two years.

People are morons when they have the ability to communicate semi-anonymously and too much time on their hands.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 18:32 Panickd

Acleacius wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 16:31:
Panickd wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 12:15:
That's not what DayZ is about though. The game has some major flaws but forcing a coop playstyle would rob the game of all of it's tension and that's thin as it is. Wasteland was all about the coop and racing to get to the randomly dropped resources before the other groups. DayZ was (and is) all about collecting everything you need to keep yourself alive only to randomly stumble across some asshat who shoots you on sight and takes all your stuff so you have to start all over again. If you don't enjoy that you probably shouldn't be playing DayZ.
My whole point, was allow one minor option, to increase sales by at least 40%. How do you see the word "force" from, "allow an option on the server"? Translation issue?

I agree Panickd, with you and Dagnamit the zombs aren't ready yet, but that's the whole point of alpha/beta. No one is forcing you to join a Coop server. What the developer is doing is saying, this is my sandbox, play "my way" or you can't play.

But you can play that way with your friends already. It's just that everyone on the server may not be playing the same way as you are. And given that the zombies aren't even in the game yet what would you be doing in a "coop" server? Sight seeing without the risk of being shot? Not really much of a game. Even when the namesake zeds get added in they'll undoubtedly be just as ineffective at stopping players as they were in the mod. The only thing that made them dangerous in the mod was the glitchy way in which they spawned.

Given how well the game has been selling I doubt the developers have any interest in increasing the uptake right now. But I bet you that once they finish it there will be numerous mods out there that will do what you're looking for.

582 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo