Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 572 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
2. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 10:48 Panickd

This lawsuit is probably going to cost Gearbox more than they will ever be able to make on the Duke Nukem IP. It's kind of bullshit that 3DR is still trying to flay skin of that dead horse though.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2014, 09:10 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 23:13:
2. What does it matter if they offer tiered options or not, when Verizon is throttling traffic at the peer to peer connection? When you throttle the peer, it doesn't matter if you're on a 5mb connection a 1 gigabit connection, it's just as slow.

This is another reason I think Google is getting into the ISP business. They're not really offering tiers because one of their purposes is to kick other ISPs in the ass to get their speeds up for "reasonable" rates. But I also think they're doing it to bring a hammer down on ISPs who throttle traffic or saturate peer links in hopes of extorting more money out of their peering partners. If you could have an ISP that offers fast speeds but engages in those practices or one that offers faster speeds and you know they don't and won't pull any shady BS for basically the same cost to you, who would you choose?

And Google is already looking at even faster speeds for their fiber even though no one really "needs" the gigabit they're already offering.

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 15:24 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 13:18:
Only problem I have with G Fibe is that it's still $70 per month. That's effing expensive. Sure it's for a gig which is nice to have but totally unnecessary for most. They should have lower end tiers as well. As it stands this is just a service for the affluent and does nothing to address the needs of the poor and underserved.

I pay that now for far less. It's not just that it's a gigabit either, it's a gigabit synchronous, upstream and down which opens up a whole host of possibilities that aren't possible (or are very painful) with current home internet.

And thus far Google has offered a "free" option that is ostensibly "for life" in the areas that they serve which is a 5 Mbit line. They had to put a seven year limit on it because of some red tape but if you pay to have the fiber hooked up to your home (which is a couple hundred dollars at most) you've got a decent enough line for basic web use with no more monthly fees. And considering that that kind of line runs a minimum $15-20 a month in my area right now I would call that a great deal. I only hope Google continues to offer it to newer areas as they expand. I know a lot of places where that kind of thing could work wonders.

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 13:24 Panickd

Frijoles wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 12:51:
Same thing happened in SLC when Google Fiber was announced in Provo (about 30 min away). My speed doubled about 3 weeks after the announcement. No additional cost. It was followed with email spam proclaiming how great Comcast was and how my blazing fast speed would be all I ever needed.

Google just announced they're trying to come to SLC. I'm hoping I get another speed boost from Comcast until they get here. Maybe they can double it again.

They announced they were expanding into Phoenix too so I'm sure Cox and Centurylink will be upping their games here before long. It'll probably be a year before Google clears all the bureaucratic hurdles to start their build out though. If they come to my area I'll sure as hell hop aboard.

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 10:39 Panickd

Look at that, all it takes is actual competition in a market for ISPs to start providing speeds they claimed they couldn't support only months before. Greedy fucks.  

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
3. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 18, 2014, 18:17 Panickd

1badmf wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:10:
sad, but at least Levine will continue to make games. really, they should just rehire all the old Looking Glass guys and bring them back together.

Most of the old Looking Glass guys are doing their own things at developers they founded. It seems to be a pattern in the gaming world that the truly talented individuals work under another talent for only so long before going off to build their own houses and become mentors themselves. I'm sure that's what will happen with Irrational shutting down as well.

News Comments > Rust Punches Cheaters
6. Re: Rust Punches Cheaters Feb 12, 2014, 10:51 Panickd

Acleacius wrote on Feb 12, 2014, 10:00:
I haven't play anything but Coop for at least the last decade, so it doesn't/won't ever effect me. However permanently banning someone, who bought the game during alpha code without a single warning, is an extremely bad idea.

They said, "Don't do it." They said, "We're working on something to deter it." How much more warning do you need?

If you want to cheat in single player games, have at it. But if you feel like cheating in a multiplayer game then you're tacitly accepting reciprocity when/if you're caught doing it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 11, 2014, 09:30 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 23:11:
So Mark donated stock, not actual money. Big difference. And this organization sounds more like it exists as a tax dodge than anything else. Way past due for these fat cats to pay their share.

Tax dodge? You are aware that there is a maximum amount you can donate to charities in the US and past that it has no effect on your taxes, right? Nearly a billion dollars is way, way beyond that point. And if there is such a big difference between "actual money" and stock why aren't more billionaires pouring stock into charities instead of their money?

It must be tough to live in your world where everyone is a totally selfish asshole and can't do anything whatsoever to redeem or better themselves.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 10, 2014, 11:09 Panickd

Verno wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 09:06:
Death threats over a phone app, LOL. What a world.

The writer of Mass Effect got death threats over ME3 and I recall one of the CoD developers getting death threats when they tweaked the reload times and firing rates on a few weapons so slightly it would have been imperceptible if they hadn't listed it in the patch notes. Some game developers have even had the lives of their children threatened over some perceived slight in a game. The dude who used to be Microsoft's Live community manager still gets dozens of threats daily over XBox Live and he hasn't worked for Microsoft for more than two years.

People are morons when they have the ability to communicate semi-anonymously and too much time on their hands.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 18:32 Panickd

Acleacius wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 16:31:
Panickd wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 12:15:
That's not what DayZ is about though. The game has some major flaws but forcing a coop playstyle would rob the game of all of it's tension and that's thin as it is. Wasteland was all about the coop and racing to get to the randomly dropped resources before the other groups. DayZ was (and is) all about collecting everything you need to keep yourself alive only to randomly stumble across some asshat who shoots you on sight and takes all your stuff so you have to start all over again. If you don't enjoy that you probably shouldn't be playing DayZ.
My whole point, was allow one minor option, to increase sales by at least 40%. How do you see the word "force" from, "allow an option on the server"? Translation issue?

I agree Panickd, with you and Dagnamit the zombs aren't ready yet, but that's the whole point of alpha/beta. No one is forcing you to join a Coop server. What the developer is doing is saying, this is my sandbox, play "my way" or you can't play.

But you can play that way with your friends already. It's just that everyone on the server may not be playing the same way as you are. And given that the zombies aren't even in the game yet what would you be doing in a "coop" server? Sight seeing without the risk of being shot? Not really much of a game. Even when the namesake zeds get added in they'll undoubtedly be just as ineffective at stopping players as they were in the mod. The only thing that made them dangerous in the mod was the glitchy way in which they spawned.

Given how well the game has been selling I doubt the developers have any interest in increasing the uptake right now. But I bet you that once they finish it there will be numerous mods out there that will do what you're looking for.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 18:23 Panickd

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:19:
Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 16:16:
If the only way tension is achieved is through griefing than it's poorly designed game to begin with. Pass.

PvP is not inherently 'griefing'. It is certainly not for everyone but I am amused at how people are misappropriating terms to use when they encounter a situation that is unfavorable to them.

When the prevailing sentiment in a game is "shoot them before they even know you are there even if they don't have anything you need and are no threat to you", that's griefing. DayZ breeds griefers like feral cats.

That is in stark contrast to Rust where the prevailing sentiment seems to be to wail mercilessly on anyone who is not as well outfitted as you are but to give anyone who is equally as armed a pass.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 18:19 Panickd

Why is GoPro going public? They're already a very successful multi-billion dollar company. Why would anyone in their right mind give up any control over a company like that?  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
23. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 18:15 Panickd

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:09:
Seriously, if you believed he was making 50k a day I have a bridge for sale in brooklyn, I will cut you a great deal.

It was an ad supported free app not a F2P app where people had to buy into anything. It was number one in both the Google Play store and the Apple App Store. $50,000 a day is easily doable by such an app.

And the app is indeed gone from both store fronts now.

14. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 15:12 Panickd

Kosumo wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 14:48:
Beamer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:24:
Whether he is a fraud or not isn't a question in the games community but in the mainstream. Because, like I said, this thing needs no pr because its the biggest game phenomenon since minecraft. At least in the mainstream.

Lol, I think Rockstar would disagree with their little game called GTA 5, have you not heard of it?

GTA 5 is so last year. No one is talking about it anymore and probably won't be until the PC game is released. A couple of games since then have generated more hype, Flappy Bird is just one of them.

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 12:24 Panickd

Fantaz wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 11:54:
"I can call ‘Flappy Bird’ is a success of mine. But it also ruins my simple life. So now I hate it."

WTF? how can making a game ruin ur life? a little criticism shy, are we?

Ever since the game launched there has been a vocal group claiming that the download numbers for the game were artificially inflated and that brought his other games under scrutiny. If you didn't do anything wrong and if you're not used to being in the public eye that kind of negativity can be tough to take. I can see why he's unhappy and wants to be left alone. And let's face it, if he was making $50k a day he can afford to walk away now and just say, "Fuck it!"

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 12:15 Panickd

Acleacius wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 11:03:
DayZ is a force to be reckoned with, too bad they ignore at least 40% of potential customers. Clearly a large percentage, possibly a majority want Coop options for servers. I can't think of a single instance where pvp is the majority, when there is a choice, mmogs for example.

That's not what DayZ is about though. The game has some major flaws but forcing a coop playstyle would rob the game of all of it's tension and that's thin as it is. Wasteland was all about the coop and racing to get to the randomly dropped resources before the other groups. DayZ was (and is) all about collecting everything you need to keep yourself alive only to randomly stumble across some asshat who shoots you on sight and takes all your stuff so you have to start all over again. If you don't enjoy that you probably shouldn't be playing DayZ.

News Comments > Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands
7. Re: Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands Feb 5, 2014, 17:24 Panickd

SimplyMonk wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:58:
Parias wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:04:
And yet smaller companies have no problem keeping their MMORPG servers going many, many years after their game's prime. WTF?

Most likely because with MMOs you have an ongoing revenue model so those servers still generate revenue. Mercs 2 had no IAP from my memory so the servers are purely money down the drain in EA's mind as they want you to move on and buy their new games.

It's amazing to me how many games require an online server for matchmaking that don't comprehend this idea. I see a lot of indie games falling into this kind of trap and it worries me. They sell a game that needs some sort of server connection to work properly but don't have any sort of ongoing revenue plan to support that sort of game model.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
31. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 17:17 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:23:
Don't know what to tell you boss, aside from stop buying Ubisoft games if it bothers you so much. I couldn't tell you what games are listed in my Uplay library, because I don't even go there in the client. I just click the X to close it after I'm done playing whatever game launched it.

If I had any choice in the matter UPlay would never have been on my machine. It was necessary for two of the games that Nvidia gave away in it's XMas "buy our new video cards" special. The code for Arkham Origins was on Steam but Splinter Cell and AC IV could only be gotten through UPlay. If they're going to force their shitty software on me like that they could have put some thought into how it would work from and end user perspective. That's all I'm saying. They either need to commit to selling their shit themselves and cut the cord with Steam or not force me to run an asinine app that serves no purpose if I end up buying their stuff on Steam.

If even a junk heap of a company like EA could comprehend that it shouldn't be that hard for some of the marketing geniuses that work at Ubi to pick up on it.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
30. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 17:04 Panickd

Redmask wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:28:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:26:
Uplay is just entirely unnecessary. It uses up resources needlessly. That's the problem I have with it. If it isn't essential why do I have to use it?

Anyway, looking forward to this game too. No way in hell I'm paying $60 for it however.

What resources? It launches the game. It takes about 2 seconds and 50MB of ram. You don't need to keep it running all the time or something. There are real issues with uPlay like having to patch through its stupid interface and Ubisofts network being about as reliable as a drug addict. But it's not required here anyway so who cares.

If they continue down the path they're looking to it will be required for certain things in their games. Want to play that new game online with your buddies? Just invite them to your game via UPlay! Don't want to use UPlay for that? Too bad, there isn't any other way to do it.

It's just really shoddy software. If they want anyone to take it seriously as a contender in the Steam/Origin/everyone else race they need to get their shit together.

News Comments > Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands
3. Re: Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands Feb 5, 2014, 15:25 Panickd

Wow. DAoC still exists? I thought it had died years ago. You never hear anything about it anymore, at all.  

572 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo