Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 576 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2014, 12:26 Panickd

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:06:
Bundy wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:19:
Games generally look better going forward through a consoles lifespan as things get optimized, for some reason a lot of people think the xb1 is gonna do the opposite.

Games also run up against resource limitations more as devs leverage the hardware which results in tradeoffs like what I already mentioned.

Unless you had the PS4 version and the XBox One version side by side on some large ass TVs that you were sitting unnaturally close to you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Like, not at all

Depends on the game really and what else was scaled down, its way too subjective to generalize. I can certainly tell the difference between AC4 on my PS4 and my buddys Xbox One. People who only have one console probably don't care either way but then again the internet is filled with comparisons so who knows *shrug*.

If you have an XBox One and a PS4 how often are you out there buying the same game for them though? Do the extra lines of resolution impact your enjoyment of the game in any way? If you owned an XBone and never saw the PS4 version of a game would you feel cheated in any way?

I have a PC capable of playing pretty much anything at some pretty insane resolutions. I also own a PS3. I own a small number of games on both platforms thanks to Steam sales and, as you might expect, the PC beats the PS3 in graphical fidelity hands down. But when I'm playing those games on the PS3 I'm not sitting around going, "Screw this 720p bullshit! 4K is sooooo much better! It makes the game soooo much more enjoyable!"

Absent the ability to directly compare two versions, it's not even an issue. That was my point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2014, 11:01 Panickd

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:02:

Im not sure most would know the difference unless someone pointed it out to them. For that matter Im not sure most PS4 owners would know the difference either.

Unless you had the PS4 version and the XBox One version side by side on some large ass TVs that you were sitting unnaturally close to you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Like, not at all. Most folks have a problem telling 720p from 1080p on normal size televisions at living room distances, and that's a huge difference. But 180 extra lines of resolution? You'd legitimately need to have your nose against the screen to spot that.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to gaming at "4K" on my PC.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2014, 18:26 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 13:41:
Verizon: We're In Talks With Netflix.

So, so, so wrong.

While I agree that it is wrong in that it goes against the way the internet is supposed to work I don't see a solid out for Netflix against bigger ISPs. Their customers can't go somewhere else because there isn't any real competition in the market in 99% of the US so their only options are pay the extortion so the ISPs in question will stop clogging their ports or sit on their thumbs and whine about how they're being mistreated. They've obviously chosen the former.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 10:53 Panickd

Task wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 10:48:
I'm confused Beamer, Warren Buffet is a crook, IE, Legalized Crook, bitcoins or not.

You do realize that "legalized crook" is an oxymoron. Only doing illegal things makes one a crook. If society has chosen to legalize what he does then he isn't a crook irregardless of what that may be.

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Mar 4, 2014, 21:24 Panickd

They need to raise the bar for making it through Greenlight. Or just accept that Steam is going to look like the Google Play store.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 21:20 Panickd

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:25:
Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:35:
And Nicolas Lovell's Blog has just shown us why hyperbole is only good for clickbait articles.

Edit:

In Chapter 3 of The Curve, I set out the economic arguments for why a digital product will tend towards a cost of zero over time

Really? Someone needs to tell Bobby Nodick that about CoD, or TakeTwo about GTA, or....

Read the whole article; he addresses why console gaming will not tend towards a zero price point separate from the fact that it's still largely a packaged goods business. It's an interesting argument although I was perturbed by his reference to the "Iron Laws of Economics".

Except that his reasoning for why console gaming will not tend towards a zero price point is not in play any longer. Sony and Microsoft aren't subsidizing their next gen hardware. They're making money on them this time around. And they are letting F2P games onto those consoles, which they weren't allowing before. Once the delivery mechanism shifts from physical discs to digital (which both Microsoft and Sony are pushing for) the only thing standing in the way of the "race to the bottom" will be the owners of the distribution networks (i.e. Microsoft and Sony).

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 14:46 Panickd

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:28:
Panickd wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:51:
You assume that Microsoft is going to iterate quickly while Sony just sits on it's thumbs?

Microsoft has the experience to iterate quickly, that hasn't been Sony's strong suit traditionally. It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally. So while I don't assume they won't iterate, they've been awfully quiet about missing launch features and additions so far and Microsoft is already beta testing a large set of fixes and additions to their own platform in the same time period. As I said, Sony needs to step it up to stay on top. The Xbox won't be in the doghouse forever.

I think $100 buys you a lot of slack in the console market these days. When you're charging $100 more than the next guy so that you can include an accessory that no one really wants and are pushing hardware that isn't quite as capable, I think you've screwed the pooch. There isn't a lot that you can do on the software side to iterate out of that hole.

I expect Sony to continue to improve the PS4 just as Microsoft will the Xbox One but with the added benefit of being able to point at a few third party games and go, "Ours runs in 1080p but the other guy's doesn't!" for the foreseeable future (which wouldn't matter if marketing people couldn't convince idiots that they could see the difference without a side by side comparison).

Microsoft flubbed a launch in a very competitive market and Sony pounced and is reaping the rewards. Xbox fanboys will buy the XBox One because they were always going to regardless, Sony fanboys will continue to villainize it and everyone else will probably pick it up when the price is right and it will sit right next to their PS4. By which time most of the features of one that are worth having will have made it over to the other one.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 10:51 Panickd

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:33:
The problem with PS4 sharing is no Youtube support. I don't want to share shit to fucking Facebook of all places. There's also some oddities with the DVR where its sometimes recording everything you do but then inexplicably misses the entirety of your last match without any feedback.

PS4 still hasn't delivered on the game suspend/resume feature or the controller sharing over IP. Microsoft will iterate quickly and people will forget a rocky launch if they come down on price, Sony needs to step it up IMO.

You assume that Microsoft is going to iterate quickly while Sony just sits on it's thumbs? I'd say Microsoft flubbed the Xbox One pretty badly. They thought they were just going to ride the 360 wave right into the next generation and that didn't happen. They thought that they were in a position to dictate exactly how the Xbox One could be used, that didn't happen. So far as I've seen Microsoft has spent most of it's launch backpedaling so quickly it's tripping over it's own feet.

Microsoft will iterate quickly and solidly. It usually takes them three whacks at something to really hit their stride. But Sony will be iterating equally quickly and right now it's their momentum to lose.

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
17. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 10:44 Panickd

Angrius Maximis wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:12:
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3418426

All the changes...all for good. Path of Exile fanboys kindly fuck off

Yes, nearly two years later they finally fix all the standout problems with Diablo III to make it worth playing and that makes it OK to trash people who've been happily PoE since it's release, no fix needed! Good show!

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 1, 2014, 22:11 Panickd

Task wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:10:
They won't be arrested because they are above the law and think they are "righteous" in their ways. Bush and Co. were not arrested. And Obama and Co. will not be arrested either. They receive state protection.

Oh Jesus Christ, dude! Pick a side! Evil... or slightly less Evil!

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
11. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:28 Panickd

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:03:
Due to this, this is not the "share with friends and remote family" plan we would all clamor for, but more of a "share with your children/spouse locally" system.

Precisely, which is why it is just about the most useless feature Steam has ever rolled out. I don't need something like this to share a game with my kid because I can just log into my account and let him play any game I have with no bullshit "cannot be shared" issues. There are zero technical reasons I shouldn't be able to play a game while sharing out my library and allowing a friend on an entirely different machine to play an entirely different game simultaneously. Its no different than me coughing up the discs of a game I'm no longer playing so that he can have a run at it like we all did in the old days. Or does no one remember the days when we had that much control over our games?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2014, 14:57 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:28:
King no longer claims to own "candy," still claims it owns "saga".

King can DIAF.

Maybe Microsoft will sue King over use of Saga to protect Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Or maybe Square will sue to protect their rather prolific Saga series. Or maybe Atari will sue King to protect Dragon Ball Z: Sagas. Or maybe Sega will sue over Panzer Dragoon Saga. Or maybe Nintendo will sue over Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Here's the thing, King. There are lots of games with the word "saga" in their name. However, you chose to go after one of the smallest players with some of the most beautiful art that has a successful Kickstarter feel-good story and is as different as possible from your stupid match three game. So knock it off. You're coming across as a bully and an asshole. If you really want to protect your name, go after Microsoft or Nintendo, and let us know how that works out for you.

Oh, and yeah, if someone tries to copyright "Kitten Crush Saga" and you want to sue, I'll back you 100%.

I'm not even sure how they got the TM for "saga" with so much other work in their own industry already having used it.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2014, 14:54 Panickd

Julio wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:56:
The EU should force games that are "free-to-play" to instead call themselves "pay-to-win" which is what they are.

I can think of several of examples that would thwart your hypothesis. Tribes Ascend, TeamFortress 2, Path of Exile, Neverwinter, etc. I burned through the entirety of Neverwinter's initial content front to back without ever feeling the need to spend a single cent. And I've hate-played Candy Crush Saga for 160 levels now without giving them a dime. In a nutshell, not every F2P game is P2W. And just because you can pay real money to progress doesn't automatically make a game P2W.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
1. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 12:02 Panickd

I never got the point of the Library Sharing feature. If I can't be logged into my account and playing a game at the same time someone I've shared my library with wants to play a totally different game from my library it loses any value it may have had.  

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics
1. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics Feb 27, 2014, 19:40 Panickd

OMG! What will I do with that extra 128 lines of resolution in crappy FMVs!?!?

But 1080p is the 2K standard for television and computer monitors (and yes it's not really full 2K, just like 4K TVs (and monitors) are running 3840x2160, i.e. not really "4K").

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:19 Panickd

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 12:54:
Of course there is not much in terms of 4k content right now but do you think this will be the case in 5 years?

In terms of filmed entertainment I suspect the next 5 years will be packed to the gills with 4K choices. But in terms of gaming, not so much. This generation of consoles is going to be much like the last in terms of being the lowest common denominator. Now do I think the XBone will always have problems hitting 1080p output? No. Once the developers have had a few years with it I suspect they'll be able to easily coax 1080p out of it at an acceptable framerate. But neither the PS4 nor the XBone is going to be capable of gaming at 4K. And looking at the current crop of video cards that are out there that were likely to be considered for these "next gen" consoles I think it's ludicrous that that was ever a rumor.

So 4K gaming will be a PC only thing for the foreseeable future and as someone who games primarily on the PC, I am totally OK with that.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 12:35 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 10:29:
4k is utterly worthless on a tv unless you're about a foot away or its 100", so don't expect that to matter much. On monitors sure, but not tvs.

4K? They can't even comfortably hit 1080p with these new consoles. Even the PS4 has problems doing it in single player content when the machine has to worry about things like AI. I suspect 4K video content will be another story though (not that there is much of that right now either).

Even modern PCs struggle to game at 4K. It will probably be a year before we get decent 4K monitors and graphics cards beefy enough to push them that don't require enough electricity to power a third world nation.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Google becomes the official voting platform for American Idol Feb 27, 2014, 12:05 Panickd

And not a single shit was given by anyone with half a braincell to spare.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
28. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:00 Panickd

Nom4d wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:14:
Panickd wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 15:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:23:
Lets see how we can make more money, thus increasing scope.

The signs of a never ending, never finished project are popping up every week.

The scope of the game thus far (with all of it's stretch goals) seems unfathomably wide already, which doesn't generally work out well in the end for most would be games.

And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

Yup, anyone who has ever been a part of a very troubled project can see where this is going. Usually it is external factors (executives, marketing, the board, etc) that puts ridiculous requests in that doom a project - these idiots are just doing it to themselves.

This won't end well.

For those who have been paying attention, Chris Robberts has said that some of the promised features will probably not be in at the launch of the game (See a few of the '10 for the Chairman' episodes for example). The intention is to keep content and features coming in for a long time after launch. I get the feeling that a lot of people have their expectations all wrong. Also entitlement and impatience.

In order for them to continuously build in features after launch they actually have to launch something. Continuously promising more, more, more when you haven't actually shown anything playable off yet points to all kinds of bad in the future. They need to buckle down and deliver something, anything, that can be played for all the money they've been taking in.

I like Chris Roberts and I am a huge fan of his previous work but the constant promising and backtracking and selling of nothing is worrying.

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
20. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 15:55 Panickd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:23:
Lets see how we can make more money, thus increasing scope.

The signs of a never ending, never finished project are popping up every week.

The scope of the game thus far (with all of it's stretch goals) seems unfathomably wide already, which doesn't generally work out well in the end for most would be games.

And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

576 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo