Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 582 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:55 Panickd

It seems like they built a "cloud" for the XBone without ever giving any real thought as to what it would be used for. And then when game developers looked and went, "Yeah, we don't really need that" Microsoft said, "Nope. We built it already so you need to use it for something!"

EA is already talking up how the Titanfall sequel probably won't be an Xbox One exclusive because they thought Microsoft was just going to stomp Sony in the Next Gen beauty pageant and that didn't happen. So that right there tells you how "absolutely essential" the cloud is to the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Console Crisis Mar 10, 2014, 13:35 Panickd

Pigeon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:24:
Is there a compelling reason to upgrade if you already have a PS3 and/or 360? Looks like a lot of the big titles that are releasing on the xbone and ps4 are also releasing on the last gen, and not looking that much different. I got a PS4, but the last console I owned was a PS1, so I don't really have a perspective if there's a good reason to upgrade right now.

A) It's not upgrading, it's buying a new system. They are different concepts.

B) The new generation is only a few months old. It's normal for the new games on a new system to look remarkably like the later games on the last gen system. Go and compare the PS4 games to the PS3 stuff that was shipping in 2006 and tell me they don't look much different.

There is always little reason to buy a new console right out of the gate unless you've got nothing better to spend money on. Most of the games are extremely derivative of the previous generation with the majority shipping on those previous gen systems as well. It's never worth it until something ships that you feel you must play and can't get any other way. Even Titanfall won't be to total windfall that Microsoft is hoping for it to be for the XBox One since it's shipping for PC and the 360.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2014, 15:33 Panickd

Alamar wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 13:05:
Holy crap... Dark Souls III is already on the list... : )

-Alamar

Must be part of Steam's new Early, Early, Early Access program. "Now you can pay for the game before the developer even thinks to make it!"

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2014, 15:30 Panickd

It always baffles me when a $60 single player title ends up topping the top 10 on Steam. The people who pay that kind of money for those titles are always the same people bitching in the forums a couple weeks later when the same game is on sale for half or more off.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Sam Raimi Plans A "Last of Us" Movie Mar 7, 2014, 21:23 Panickd

Why? Just play the damn game! It was already a great movie with gameplay bits in between the set pieces.  

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2014, 16:05 Panickd

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 12:54:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 12:47:
Panickd wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:01:
InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:02:

Im not sure most would know the difference unless someone pointed it out to them. For that matter Im not sure most PS4 owners would know the difference either.

Unless you had the PS4 version and the XBox One version side by side on some large ass TVs that you were sitting unnaturally close to you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Like, not at all. Most folks have a problem telling 720p from 1080p on normal size televisions at living room distances, and that's a huge difference. But 180 extra lines of resolution? You'd legitimately need to have your nose against the screen to spot that.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to gaming at "4K" on my PC.

You are right, from a couch viewing distance 720P on a 42" screen is fine for many things. But that isn't ultimately the point that is being said here. It's that this is the console for the next 7 years and this is already struggling with things that we would have just thought was a no-brainer given.

For the master race, they did the one thing right they had to 8 gig's o ram, that was the part that affects me.

I kind of have the feeling that if enough people were to invest in 4K TVs over the next 3 years or so this would be a 5 year console generation at best. Remember the only real reason the last generation lasted so long is because Microsoft and Sony spent buttloads (I believe that's the technical term) of money on developing them and really wanted the generation to be as long as possible to maximize their returns. This time around they both went the route of basically building a midrange PC with a few specialized parts. It hasn't cost them anywhere near as much and both are breaking even on the hardware right out of the gate.

So I wouldn't be at all shocked to see these consoles both get deep price cuts over the next 3 years or so (it is commodity hardware, after all) and then start hearing inklings of a new generation by four years out that would basically be just an upgraded PC, thereby giving backwards compatibility with this gen and providing newer games for all the 4K TVs. It's just going to depend on consumer demand.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2014, 12:26 Panickd

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:06:
Bundy wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:19:
Games generally look better going forward through a consoles lifespan as things get optimized, for some reason a lot of people think the xb1 is gonna do the opposite.

Games also run up against resource limitations more as devs leverage the hardware which results in tradeoffs like what I already mentioned.

Unless you had the PS4 version and the XBox One version side by side on some large ass TVs that you were sitting unnaturally close to you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Like, not at all

Depends on the game really and what else was scaled down, its way too subjective to generalize. I can certainly tell the difference between AC4 on my PS4 and my buddys Xbox One. People who only have one console probably don't care either way but then again the internet is filled with comparisons so who knows *shrug*.

If you have an XBox One and a PS4 how often are you out there buying the same game for them though? Do the extra lines of resolution impact your enjoyment of the game in any way? If you owned an XBone and never saw the PS4 version of a game would you feel cheated in any way?

I have a PC capable of playing pretty much anything at some pretty insane resolutions. I also own a PS3. I own a small number of games on both platforms thanks to Steam sales and, as you might expect, the PC beats the PS3 in graphical fidelity hands down. But when I'm playing those games on the PS3 I'm not sitting around going, "Screw this 720p bullshit! 4K is sooooo much better! It makes the game soooo much more enjoyable!"

Absent the ability to directly compare two versions, it's not even an issue. That was my point.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2014, 11:01 Panickd

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:02:

Im not sure most would know the difference unless someone pointed it out to them. For that matter Im not sure most PS4 owners would know the difference either.

Unless you had the PS4 version and the XBox One version side by side on some large ass TVs that you were sitting unnaturally close to you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Like, not at all. Most folks have a problem telling 720p from 1080p on normal size televisions at living room distances, and that's a huge difference. But 180 extra lines of resolution? You'd legitimately need to have your nose against the screen to spot that.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to gaming at "4K" on my PC.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2014, 18:26 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 13:41:
Verizon: We're In Talks With Netflix.

So, so, so wrong.

While I agree that it is wrong in that it goes against the way the internet is supposed to work I don't see a solid out for Netflix against bigger ISPs. Their customers can't go somewhere else because there isn't any real competition in the market in 99% of the US so their only options are pay the extortion so the ISPs in question will stop clogging their ports or sit on their thumbs and whine about how they're being mistreated. They've obviously chosen the former.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 10:53 Panickd

Task wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 10:48:
I'm confused Beamer, Warren Buffet is a crook, IE, Legalized Crook, bitcoins or not.

You do realize that "legalized crook" is an oxymoron. Only doing illegal things makes one a crook. If society has chosen to legalize what he does then he isn't a crook irregardless of what that may be.

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Mar 4, 2014, 21:24 Panickd

They need to raise the bar for making it through Greenlight. Or just accept that Steam is going to look like the Google Play store.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 21:20 Panickd

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:25:
Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:35:
And Nicolas Lovell's Blog has just shown us why hyperbole is only good for clickbait articles.

Edit:

In Chapter 3 of The Curve, I set out the economic arguments for why a digital product will tend towards a cost of zero over time

Really? Someone needs to tell Bobby Nodick that about CoD, or TakeTwo about GTA, or....

Read the whole article; he addresses why console gaming will not tend towards a zero price point separate from the fact that it's still largely a packaged goods business. It's an interesting argument although I was perturbed by his reference to the "Iron Laws of Economics".

Except that his reasoning for why console gaming will not tend towards a zero price point is not in play any longer. Sony and Microsoft aren't subsidizing their next gen hardware. They're making money on them this time around. And they are letting F2P games onto those consoles, which they weren't allowing before. Once the delivery mechanism shifts from physical discs to digital (which both Microsoft and Sony are pushing for) the only thing standing in the way of the "race to the bottom" will be the owners of the distribution networks (i.e. Microsoft and Sony).

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 14:46 Panickd

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:28:
Panickd wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:51:
You assume that Microsoft is going to iterate quickly while Sony just sits on it's thumbs?

Microsoft has the experience to iterate quickly, that hasn't been Sony's strong suit traditionally. It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally. So while I don't assume they won't iterate, they've been awfully quiet about missing launch features and additions so far and Microsoft is already beta testing a large set of fixes and additions to their own platform in the same time period. As I said, Sony needs to step it up to stay on top. The Xbox won't be in the doghouse forever.

I think $100 buys you a lot of slack in the console market these days. When you're charging $100 more than the next guy so that you can include an accessory that no one really wants and are pushing hardware that isn't quite as capable, I think you've screwed the pooch. There isn't a lot that you can do on the software side to iterate out of that hole.

I expect Sony to continue to improve the PS4 just as Microsoft will the Xbox One but with the added benefit of being able to point at a few third party games and go, "Ours runs in 1080p but the other guy's doesn't!" for the foreseeable future (which wouldn't matter if marketing people couldn't convince idiots that they could see the difference without a side by side comparison).

Microsoft flubbed a launch in a very competitive market and Sony pounced and is reaping the rewards. Xbox fanboys will buy the XBox One because they were always going to regardless, Sony fanboys will continue to villainize it and everyone else will probably pick it up when the price is right and it will sit right next to their PS4. By which time most of the features of one that are worth having will have made it over to the other one.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 10:51 Panickd

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:33:
The problem with PS4 sharing is no Youtube support. I don't want to share shit to fucking Facebook of all places. There's also some oddities with the DVR where its sometimes recording everything you do but then inexplicably misses the entirety of your last match without any feedback.

PS4 still hasn't delivered on the game suspend/resume feature or the controller sharing over IP. Microsoft will iterate quickly and people will forget a rocky launch if they come down on price, Sony needs to step it up IMO.

You assume that Microsoft is going to iterate quickly while Sony just sits on it's thumbs? I'd say Microsoft flubbed the Xbox One pretty badly. They thought they were just going to ride the 360 wave right into the next generation and that didn't happen. They thought that they were in a position to dictate exactly how the Xbox One could be used, that didn't happen. So far as I've seen Microsoft has spent most of it's launch backpedaling so quickly it's tripping over it's own feet.

Microsoft will iterate quickly and solidly. It usually takes them three whacks at something to really hit their stride. But Sony will be iterating equally quickly and right now it's their momentum to lose.

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
17. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 10:44 Panickd

Angrius Maximis wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:12:
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3418426

All the changes...all for good. Path of Exile fanboys kindly fuck off

Yes, nearly two years later they finally fix all the standout problems with Diablo III to make it worth playing and that makes it OK to trash people who've been happily PoE since it's release, no fix needed! Good show!

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 1, 2014, 22:11 Panickd

Task wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:10:
They won't be arrested because they are above the law and think they are "righteous" in their ways. Bush and Co. were not arrested. And Obama and Co. will not be arrested either. They receive state protection.

Oh Jesus Christ, dude! Pick a side! Evil... or slightly less Evil!

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
11. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:28 Panickd

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:03:
Due to this, this is not the "share with friends and remote family" plan we would all clamor for, but more of a "share with your children/spouse locally" system.

Precisely, which is why it is just about the most useless feature Steam has ever rolled out. I don't need something like this to share a game with my kid because I can just log into my account and let him play any game I have with no bullshit "cannot be shared" issues. There are zero technical reasons I shouldn't be able to play a game while sharing out my library and allowing a friend on an entirely different machine to play an entirely different game simultaneously. Its no different than me coughing up the discs of a game I'm no longer playing so that he can have a run at it like we all did in the old days. Or does no one remember the days when we had that much control over our games?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2014, 14:57 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:28:
King no longer claims to own "candy," still claims it owns "saga".

King can DIAF.

Maybe Microsoft will sue King over use of Saga to protect Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Or maybe Square will sue to protect their rather prolific Saga series. Or maybe Atari will sue King to protect Dragon Ball Z: Sagas. Or maybe Sega will sue over Panzer Dragoon Saga. Or maybe Nintendo will sue over Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Here's the thing, King. There are lots of games with the word "saga" in their name. However, you chose to go after one of the smallest players with some of the most beautiful art that has a successful Kickstarter feel-good story and is as different as possible from your stupid match three game. So knock it off. You're coming across as a bully and an asshole. If you really want to protect your name, go after Microsoft or Nintendo, and let us know how that works out for you.

Oh, and yeah, if someone tries to copyright "Kitten Crush Saga" and you want to sue, I'll back you 100%.

I'm not even sure how they got the TM for "saga" with so much other work in their own industry already having used it.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2014, 14:54 Panickd

Julio wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:56:
The EU should force games that are "free-to-play" to instead call themselves "pay-to-win" which is what they are.

I can think of several of examples that would thwart your hypothesis. Tribes Ascend, TeamFortress 2, Path of Exile, Neverwinter, etc. I burned through the entirety of Neverwinter's initial content front to back without ever feeling the need to spend a single cent. And I've hate-played Candy Crush Saga for 160 levels now without giving them a dime. In a nutshell, not every F2P game is P2W. And just because you can pay real money to progress doesn't automatically make a game P2W.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
1. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 12:02 Panickd

I never got the point of the Library Sharing feature. If I can't be logged into my account and playing a game at the same time someone I've shared my library with wants to play a totally different game from my library it loses any value it may have had.  

582 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo