Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for netnerd85

Real Name netnerd85   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname netnerd85
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 11, 2011, 20:02
Total Comments 1607 (Pro)
User ID 57021

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez Gunslinger
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez Gunslinger May 23, 2013, 02:08 netnerd85

Good looking, good humour, well presented, great fun, great price  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 22, 2013, 04:26 netnerd85

Surveillance and the Internet of Things
That article raises some questions but nothing we have not heard before a million times. It's a pointless scare mongering article, it doesn't create much awareness and delivers it's point through fear rather than education. There are no solutions in the article at all.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 15:03 netnerd85

mch wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:00:
That is one large console. Seriously, looks to me like a VCR
lol, that's what I thought, or a NES... even has similar curves.

News Comments > Moon Rising Beta
2. Re: Moon Rising Beta May 21, 2013, 03:23 netnerd85

The music on the clip reminds me of Dark Reign 2's music, which is amazing! Looks good.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer
22. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 21, 2013, 03:20 netnerd85

So, no Hard Reset 2 then?  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
54. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 12:57 netnerd85

I think I made myself clear about what I really meant, if you fail to take note and just want to ignore that...

Jerykk is actually having a discussion with me without resorting to childish "but you said ALL aliens are green", I've made my point and myself clearer, is that not what we are trying to do here by communicating?

@Jerykk, but it's still a problem and a bad point. Yes it's more of a developer issue but the developers are using Steam to create the problem. I wouldn't have the problem if I didn't require Steam. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I only have a handful of my 120+ games installed on Steam so I don't know which ones update and which do not. I tend to play older games first so I don't notice how often the new games are updating. Some games are great and require very little while others clog up your bandwidth usage.

I would like to see a poll of Steam users to see the actual satisfaction rating. Steam has a lot of points that seem like that's a good idea until... you want to do something that counters it.

How many free services are great ideas and convenient, everyone uses it then one day the company dedcides to do something it's users don't want like start charging for things... There will be a price to pay later for all this convenience I strongly believe as it happens all the time.

50. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 06:17 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on May 19, 2013, 06:08:
Security isn't a black and white thing. There are varying degrees of security and most people are willing to sacrifice some degree of freedom to attain it. This doesn't make them unreasonable. It makes them practical. It's why you choose to live in a society bound by laws and regulations. If you want complete freedom, you need to become a hermit and live in the woods, desert or some other remote location far away from civilization. I'm pretty sure you aren't a hermit living in the woods or desert so really, you're just being a hypocrite.
I'm talking about bought security mainly. Let's try to seperate the safety in numbers argument from the company or politician trying to sell you a false message of security. They sell you peace of mind and nothing all. Secuirty is a band aid to a much larger issue of evil human behaviour. Obviously humans need to stick together and that's not what I am talking about. Rules are important but security, the peace of mind bullshit people sell you, is not needed. There is only so far you can go where the balance of ACTUAL real safety is not increased vs the restriction of freedom. It's a balancing act, you should never go too far and choose a little bit more security over freedom.

Such as, not being able to access some of your games without an internet connection and some companies stupid software that is just designed to sell you more shit.

Jerykk wrote on May 19, 2013, 06:08:
Also, how am I ignoring you? I've addressed every one of your points and refuted them with undeniable facts. That's why your argument is poor. If you can present an argument I can't soundly refute, then you'll have a good argument. Your personal tastes are all well and good but they don't support the arguments you're making. You may not like DRM or Steam but that doesn't change the fact that Steam has had a beneficial impact on PC gaming and that most PC gamers like it.
No. You just ignored me completely with Sleeping Dogs, that's a real issue and real concern for Steam. Forcing people to download and update or not play their game? That is extremely restrictive.

We don't live in a world with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited disk space yet and it's probably a way off still.

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 05:50 netnerd85

Jensen wrote on May 19, 2013, 02:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2013, 00:06:
Dunno where he sees "violence" but shooting robots and cyborg animals is at best vandalism
Yeah, in this game you're only simulating the shooting of simulations of people instead of simulating the shooting of people.
You guys really don't know what violent behaviour is if you think it's limited to human vs human. Which is alarming to say the least.

48. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 05:37 netnerd85

Beamer wrote on May 18, 2013, 21:41:
This argument started with "anyone that gives up any freedom for security is a fool" and turned into a discussion on the merits of Steam.

You guys don't even need to do that. He started with such a giant, stupid blanket statement that there's no need to discuss Steam. His opening hypothesis can be proven wrong with, well, society and civilization as a whole.
In general Security is an illusion. A perception of something that is impossible to achieve. Those are just the facts. It's a piece of mind thing that just doesn't work.

Games still get hacked, Valve are selling publishers and now developers a service. There are plenty of hacked Steam games out there. Plenty.

@Jerykk you ignored my personal experience as nothing. My examples you said just were simply not good. You're just ignoring me.

44. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 18:43 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2013, 18:40:
netnerd85 wrote on May 18, 2013, 09:03:
You are acting as if there is only one side to the story, the one you wish to believe. There are always two sides and you aren't seeing both. I agree with some of your points but not the fact that it's the right or complete dominating majority view.

I do see both. I even listed the objective downsides to Steam. However, even if those downsides were all important to me, I still wouldn't be able to deny the beneficial impact that Steam has had on PC gaming because I can't deny facts. If Steam had never been created, digital distribution would be nowhere near as popular as it is now and we'd be seeing far less PC games than we see now. The retail presence of PC games was already in decline before Steam was introduced and that decline would have continued (as it did even after Steam debuted). However, without digital distribution, there wouldn't have been any other viable ways to sell PC games so PC gaming would have suffered.
If Steam had not come along another digital distribution system would have, there's a high chance of that. You give Valve way too much credit they do not deserve.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews May 18, 2013, 17:18 netnerd85

Yeah, no need for the negativity towards the dude... I'm glad he's actually playing the games rather than just calling it the devils work.  

41. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 09:03 netnerd85

You are acting as if there is only one side to the story, the one you wish to believe. There are always two sides and you aren't seeing both. I agree with some of your points but not the fact that it's the right or complete dominating majority view.  

39. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 18, 2013, 05:01 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2013, 04:41:
netnerd85 wrote on May 17, 2013, 11:42:
Verno wrote on May 17, 2013, 10:54:
Platform unification was bound to happen, the PC was too fragmented to support going forward and we were seeing the slow death of the PC gaming industry before digital platforms.
"Platform unification", what on earth do you mean by that? and what do you mean the PC was too framented to support going forward?

It seems pretty self-explanatory. Before Steam, the PC didn't really have any standards. There were tons of different DRM schemes (Starforce, SecuROM, TAGES, Safedisc, ByteShield, Uniloc, etc) and no standardized features between games. PC gaming still doesn't have any official standards but the fact that most publishers use Steamworks means that certain features (cloud saves, silent installs, automatic updates, achievements, leaderboards, etc) are quickly becoming standard and players need only deal with one DRM scheme for all their games.

In terms of PC gaming's health, Steam has been a boon. Steam brought digital distribution into the light and made it easier (and cheaper) for both publishers and developers to bring their games to PC. The PC currently has more publisher and developer support than it has ever had before and although most big-budget games are ports (due to the multiplatform nature of modern development), the quality of these ports has risen significantly over the past decade.

If you cast aside your contempt for DRM and look objectively at the features that Steam offers, you should be able to understand why so many people like it, even if you disagree that the features are enough to compensate for the DRM.
No, it wasn't self-explantatory. It's a very generic term and I had no idea what specifically you were referring to, I asked to make sure rather than assume.

There is nothing wrong or flawed with having different kinds of DRM, nothing is perfect and you need variety/competition to find out what works best (Lol, I'm not defending DRM, if we have to have it, then I think it's better to have different forms especially ones not tied to a massive piece of software/client). Personally none of the things you mentioned matter to me (cloud saves etc.), it can be good to have automatic updates however as I learnt with Sleeping Dogs, it was a massive pain in the ass. Steam would reserve double the amount of gigs, sometimes much more, than it needed to download an update for Sleeping Dogs. I ended up turning off automatic updates for the game, however I was unable to play the game because an update was "required". Forcing me not to be able to play the game. Sometimes you don't want to wait an hour for gigs of data to download. So I uninstalled the game and will have to get back to it whenever they stop farting out DLC for it. The patches weren't patches as such, it was just there for DLC.

So you can see, there is a massive downside and you can't just have a game installed on Steam and not have it update. These downloads are huge and are wasting resources. Limited or not, it's still a massive pain to be forced to deal with.

I do not think Steam has been good, especially for the long term. I now expect a certain low price for games. We all seem to be like "hrrmmm, wait for a sale". That is power to the people and all that but it is no doubt hurting some small players. It's also given a bit too much spotlight to some indie people that aren't making quality games, they are just making games to a known formula to get sales.

Free to Play, there is nothing good about that. Nothing at all for the long term. There is no quality in free. There is always a downside and some form of "payment". Nothing is free.

DLC. Do you really think this whole DLC thing is good? Steam is partly to blame for a lot wrong with the industry. We'll see what Valve really are like with their next game release.

There are good and bad points. I don't agree at all that it's the saviour of the PC industry like you seem to think it is.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2013, 05:08.

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
21. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 04:33 netnerd85

... agreeing with above so changed comment to not quote another.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2013, 09:04.

News Comments > 7 Days to Die Announced
19. Re: 7 Days to Die Announced May 18, 2013, 03:45 netnerd85

siapnar wrote on May 17, 2013, 17:29:
Also, they blatantly tried to copy the 28 Day's later theme.
It came across as a mix of a few.

But that 28 Days Later theme is the BEST zombie theme EVER. It captures the hopelessness of the siutation perfectly IMO.

28 Months later, one day

News Comments > Remember Me Trailer
4. Re: Remember Me Trailer May 18, 2013, 03:38 netnerd85

Seems okay, graphics look a bit date/consoley. The story is presented as being way too dramatic.

DmC: Devil May Cry is still my 'button mashing fun' game choice for the year.

They need to make a Logan's Run game and they should hurry up with the remake!

News Comments > Alien Fear Renamed Alien Rage; Coming to PCs
4. Re: Alien Fear Renamed Alien Rage; Coming to PCs May 18, 2013, 03:25 netnerd85

Maybe  

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
18. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 03:14 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2013, 02:45:
Sepharo wrote on May 18, 2013, 02:21:
Cutter wrote on May 17, 2013, 23:55:
All you need to know is I'm generally right about everything.

Wrong.

If I'm virtually always right then the odds are actually pretty good that you're wrong. See how that works?

Did I hack Cutters account in my sleep? that sounds like some dumbass shit I would say lol... this doesn't sound like the real Cutter!

And btw, you're wrong. They may very well get 2 more sales soon, the show is very good

News Comments > 7 Days to Die Announced
11. Re: 7 Days to Die Announced May 17, 2013, 14:04 netnerd85

WyldKat wrote on May 17, 2013, 13:32:
Looks neat but it seems really strange to me why they aren't using smooth voxels instead of the typical Minecraft bricks. For example of smooth voxels, take a look at Planet Explorers. Brick voxels are fine for buildings but in this gameplay video they are SUPER jarring when looking at them on terrain (0:33 seconds into the video), especially when the rest of the game looks like they're going for a realistic look instead of something retro.
Agreed.

36. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 17, 2013, 11:42 netnerd85

Verno wrote on May 17, 2013, 10:54:
Platform unification was bound to happen, the PC was too fragmented to support going forward and we were seeing the slow death of the PC gaming industry before digital platforms.
"Platform unification", what on earth do you mean by that? and what do you mean the PC was too framented to support going forward?

1607 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo