Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 239 (Novice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Zombies and Zombies Demo
5. Re: Zombies and Zombies Demo Dec 3, 2012, 14:59 shihonage

I bought it to test out the whole Desura thing and uh... the game.

The game doesn't really handle all too well, and there's no "going toward/away from camera" animations in this isometric engine, but the amount of environmental destruction is impressive.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 02:02 shihonage

It's funny how under a "liberal" President America gets all kinds of suspect borderline-dictatory shit, like the airport TSA, surveillance drones, "cybersecurity" bills, constant secrecy, "tzars" that let him game the checks and balances of the system...

Still waiting until people wake up to the fact that Obama is not a classic Liberal but an actual hardcore Leftist, of dictator variety, made of the same cloth as the guys who ruled my former home - the Soviet Union.

"It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed." - Vladimir Lenin

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
23. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Nov 15, 2012, 17:46 shihonage

Crysis 1 was an excellent breath of fresh air until I got to the Descent level.

Then I finally wrestled myself out of it, only to end up in the aforementioned winter level.

Then I quit.

All I ever wanted is a Crysis 1 where you are always in the outdoors.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 20:04 shihonage

Julie Larson-Green is the she-devil behind everything that's gone wrong about Microsoft user interfaces since 2007.  

News Comments > StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013
28. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 20:01 shihonage

Blizzard still thinks someone cares. So adorable.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Reference Drivers
2. Re: NVIDIA Beta Reference Drivers Nov 13, 2012, 00:01 shihonage

Translation: "we fixed some crap in our programming that made Black Ops 2 run 26% slower than it should".

Smug

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 12, 2012, 05:54 shihonage

... still waiting until Microsoft fires the woman responsible for Office 2007/2010 and Windows 8 UI "revolutions". I keep forgetting her name, but then, that's how she should end up - forgotten.  

News Comments > Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming
30. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:44 shihonage

Orogogus wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:27:
shihonage wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:08:
Are you familiar with the phrase "keeping an honest man honest"? You know that most door locks cannot withstand a deliberate intrusion, and yet leaving your door open isn't quite the same as having one locked - no matter how flawed the lock is.

So there goes your comparison between cheats, hacks, and having end-game items staring you in the face 30 minutes through the game.

With a trite saying? You have to actually put the gun in your inventory, and wield it, the same way you would have to type in a console command or install a hack. This talk of locks and honest men is why we still have people throwing bitchfits about games that let you save anywhere.

So, the only way you can continue to inject life into this pointless debate is by trying to invalidate a reasonable, fitting analogy.

This is the part where I start repeating what I said over and over in a language tailored to a lowering-with-each-iteration IQ, and you do your best to keep appearing dumber and dumber in order to deny it.

I think I'll let you have the last word on this one, yes sirree. It's time for me to go do something else.

27. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:08 shihonage

Orogogus wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 00:29:
I honestly cannot fathom being outraged -- and you're totally flying off the handle here -- because you're buying those things in the store and they're forcing you to ruin your game. Is your game ruined the second you see a cheat code on the Internet, or once you find out the game can be modded? Because that's the level of self-control we're talking about. DON'T USE THE GODDAMNED DLC IF YOU THINK IT'S OVERPOWERED. Just use those other things, which you would be getting in the normal course of the game.

I mean, if the complaint is that it makes your store cluttered, that's kind of valid, but not "OMG the Steam version is broken boohoo *sob*" material here.

Internet 101: accusing the other person of being emotional is the key to winning arguments.

But I'm not here to play games with you. I am pointing out the fact - Dead Space 2 on Steam is broken. With all the outrage about Doom 3 BFG edition, Dead Space 2 has gotten very little actual press, and hasn't been fixed STILL.

Are you familiar with the phrase "keeping an honest man honest"? You know that most door locks cannot withstand a deliberate intrusion, and yet leaving your door open isn't quite the same as having one locked - no matter how flawed the lock is.

So there goes your comparison between cheats, hacks, and having end-game items staring you in the face 30 minutes through the game.

To you this may be a non-issue, but it is definitely not a "feature" by any stretch of the imagination. It adds nothing to the game, only subtracts from it.

That's why there's a 23-page about it, on Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780675

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 01:15.

24. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 00:10 shihonage

Orogogus wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 21:57:
shihonage wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:20:
Dead Space 2 on Steam continues to be horribly broken while they fix Doom 3, a subpar game nobody plays.

Hilarious.

See, buying Dead Space 2 on Steam rewards you with a DLC "feature" which makes all items in the shop free - even the most powerful ones. All the prices are FUBAR'd.

You can go around that and redeem Dead Space 2 code via Origin, and get Dead Space 2 v1.0, which does not have that problem - unfortunately it has a game-breaking bug which creates constant noise and mini-inventory never goes away from the screen.

The sane solution, I suppose, is to get a pirated cracked patched version, but at this point I am too tired to bother.

This is not true, or it wasn't when I played through a year ago. The Steam version of DS2 comes with all the DLC items, for free. If you have the console or Origin versions, you have to pay money for the DLC -- at which point it's also free in game.

The regular, non-DLC weapons cost the same as they normally would.

When you go to a shop, anything with a fancy icon on it is a DLC item, and is free. Their name also has some modifier in it, so that instead of a Ripper you'd be buying a Bloody Ripper or something. If you don't select those, you're playing the original game.

" The Steam version of DS2 comes with all the DLC items, for free."

And those items are some powerful shit, completely breaking gameplay progression.

How is that NOT BROKEN?

Barring that, how is the "lack of ability to TURN OFF DLC" not a broken concept just by itself?

Or, wait a second - did I also buy a bonus home exercise in self-restraint?

Ahh. It all makes sense now.

7. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 15:20 shihonage

Dead Space 2 on Steam continues to be horribly broken while they fix Doom 3, a subpar game nobody plays.

Hilarious.

See, buying Dead Space 2 on Steam rewards you with a DLC "feature" which makes all items in the shop free - even the most powerful ones. All the prices are FUBAR'd.

You can go around that and redeem Dead Space 2 code via Origin, and get Dead Space 2 v1.0, which does not have that problem - unfortunately it has a game-breaking bug which creates constant noise and mini-inventory never goes away from the screen.

The sane solution, I suppose, is to get a pirated cracked patched version, but at this point I am too tired to bother.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Video Diary
9. removed Nov 6, 2012, 06:02 shihonage

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2012, 10:00.

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942
31. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 23:35 shihonage

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:16:
The guy who quoted you was and that's who I was responding to. If you read my post then you would know I even said it was in response to the general complaint about DD clients using system resources.

You saw my repeat mention of DRM and contrasted it with my original post, representing it as "WAHH", and implying that it didn't have DRM reference in the first place.

It did.

Please don't make this into a retarded circular argument, okay? It's what the plants crave.

Slick wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 19:18:
you know how much of a knob you're making yourself sound like right? So it's not okay for there to be any soft-drink companies out there that don't "conform" to the Coca-Cola specification...

anti-competition much? fucking commie! since when is competition bad for the consumer?

it's funny cause you come off sounding like the biggest STEAM corporate hack i've ever heard. how much money you make everytime you say that STEAM is the only service anyone should use? oh right, you're fighting AGAINST this stuff... riiiight...

Thank you for the effort, it truly made me smile. 8/10

15. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:05 shihonage

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 15:46:
shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 15:43:
Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 14:51:
Yeah I don't really get that one either, seems like a spergy nitpick. The shittiest laptops still have 2GB of memory, people really need to let it go. I don't really care if Steam or Origin use 200MB of memory, I have more than the OS and an active game running can ever use. I care more about the info they collect than the resource footprint.

Yes, let's keep on telling big companies that it's OKAY to install their particular brands of remotely-updated DRM and potential malware(it's all about trust, right?) instead of having them conform to Steam. There's plenty of room in systray yet!

Yeah. To each their own.

That's a different argument than "WAHHH MY 20MB OF MEMORY!" sooooo.

I hate to tell people to learn to read on the Internet, it's so passe. Why do you make me do it...

My first post also referred to "the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background".

So learn to read.

Also Steam itself is basically DRM so having them "conform" to it isn't saying much. I love Steam and I think Origin is a mediocre piece of shit that doesn't do much well but if you compare their base functions and protections, they are fairly equivalent.

We've come to know what Valve is and isn't capable of. They are probably the sanest game company to ever exist. And despite Steam not being a stellar piece of programming, it doesn't overreach, as it easily could. In the hands of a corrupt company, a product you let run in background could install browser toolbars, collect personal information, throw ads in your face, hog CPU time and bandwidth due to poor coding, you name it.

EA has not earned my trust.

That is an old build of Origin. Who knows that a newer build does? Today? Tomorrow? This comes from company that's embraced Ubisoft-style always-on DRM in some of their titles, so they aren't shy when it comes to draconian measures.

Good luck with that. I'll pass.

12. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:43 shihonage

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 14:51:
Yeah I don't really get that one either, seems like a spergy nitpick. The shittiest laptops still have 2GB of memory, people really need to let it go. I don't really care if Steam or Origin use 200MB of memory, I have more than the OS and an active game running can ever use. I care more about the info they collect than the resource footprint.

Yes, let's keep on telling big companies that it's OKAY to install their particular brands of remotely-updated DRM and potential malware(it's all about trust, right?) instead of having them conform to Steam. There's plenty of room in systray yet!

Yeah. To each their own.

4. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:21 shihonage

So they are still trying to get people to run their Steam knock-off next to Steam in systray huh.

I am not buying any games that use Origin exclusively. Conserving system resources and the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background.

Did you know that Dragon Age installs its own Windows Service just to d/l Dragon Age DLCs?

Uninstalled that too. But it left the service behind.

News Comments > F2P Command & Conquer Beta Early Next Year
15. Re: F2P Command & Conquer Beta Early Next Year Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 shihonage

F2P games taught me a valuable lesson - they are like web interfaces and the cloud. You don't really own them, and they're prone to horrible decisions being patched in on random basis.

If you want an Email client, get a local one, like Thunderbird or Outlook. If you want to be at the mercy of the ever-changing cloud, use Gmail and Hotmail via the web.

Same goes for games. Either you own them, or not. And with F2P, you don't own SHIT.

This message was brought to you by a disgruntled Tribes: Ascend player.

News Comments > SMITE Adding New Mode
3. Re: SMITE Adding New Mode Nov 2, 2012, 04:43 shihonage

Ah, Hi-Rez. Amazing engine and gameplay programmers they aren't.  

News Comments > SMITE Adding New Mode
1. Re: SMITE Adding New Mode Nov 1, 2012, 19:05 shihonage

Well at least they're updating ONE of their games...

Tribes: Ascend, on the other hand, has been left a rotting carcass of bugs, shitty "new" maps, horrible performance, and incompatibilities with 32-bit systems.

News Comments > 0x10c Multiplayer Footage
11. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 15:27 shihonage

I like the visual aesthetic, I just don't see why they had to put Quake 1 deathmatch in there.

The core of the game has to be completely different from whats shown in this video.

239 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo