Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 463 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
97. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 02:42 shihonage

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 01:34:
You have a lot of passion. I'll give you that.

Fallout 2 had quest flags that lead to predefined sub-endings. You are still funneled into an ending. You can't buy a boat and float away to a new world, you can't be king of Bartertown. You can't even change the economy or pick most items up. Minecraft has more going on than that.

Fallout 2 is still a good game, but it's not an open one. The world only reacts to you in ways the programmers predicted.

You want *emergent behavior* and there is little to none in Fallout 2. There is little to none of that in most games because it's hard to do and results can be unpredictable enough that the game goes from being fun to not being fun in a hurry.

You're not entirely right, which makes a HUGE practical difference in this case.

What I am talking about is not _absolute freedom_, which is impossible, but having significantly more freedom than Bioware and Bethesda games allow.

Walls made not out of brick, but out of elastic resin. This means, although the amount of "game endings" is predetermined, the individual player experience is never quite the same. It is also a VERY different feeling, between running into brick and into resin.

Both games in Fallout series accomplished this through rich world reactivity on macro- and micro-levels, as well as "soft area passability control".

It's not just WHAT happens, it's HOW it happens. Multiple quest solutions, design that has no unkillable NPCs or hard-blocked story hubs (i.e. anti-Bioware), passing by a corridor when your PER dings you that there's a stimpak in a nearby locker...

As I said, look into that Fallout guide. It's hard to comprehensively describe otherwise, but it ends up being a rich experience which dithers into something that feels organic and creates more freedom in your day-to-day actions than most games do.

You're not limited to LARPing and choosing which trash can to loot next. The game rewards you for being clever where it actually matters - its WORLD (and I see that term differently than just terrain with critters on it, mind you).

When I talk about this with most people, they immediately fall into this dichotomy - either it's a "an impossible AI that writes a story on the fly", or it's "Dwarf Fortress".

I believe in something else, based on research, not just vague dreams. We can have a game which provides a very convincing illusion of a story that is shaped by YOU.

Oh, there will be limitations as to how far it can be stretched, because we don't HAVE an AI. However we don't need an AI, just some old algorithms from 1960s, and writing+world that are structured to maximize their benefits while hiding their drawbacks.

If you want things to be shaken up you should expect to contribute yourself. There are two engines out there right now you could be using for free - Unity and Unreal - to make prototypes.

Be shiny and we will witness it.

The project exists. You'll witness it on Steam when it moves into functional gameplay.

Now if someone gave me a cure for chronic dry eye, things would move a lot faster.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 00:44 shihonage

shihonage wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 00:39:
He accomplished reactivity as he saw it.

93. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 00:39 shihonage

harlock wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 00:29:
shihonage wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 00:25:
Wasteland 2 was never meant to be a Fallout game. It was NOT a stated goal! Fargo namedropped Fallout a couple of times, but the game was a combat strategy game, as opposed to an RPG with depth.

i never said it was meant to be a fallout game. it was meant to highlight and feature "world reactivity" which for damn sure WAS a stated goal, many numerous times

He accomplished reactivity as he saw it.

90. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 00:25 shihonage

harlock wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 00:00:
give it up dude - it was the high water mark ... nobody is willing to put in that kind of effort these days

even wasteland 2 didnt come close, and that was their stated goal specifically

takes too much brain power or something - who knows

If the public had higher expectations, we'd get higher quality games.

Wasteland 2 was never meant to be a Fallout game. It was NOT a stated goal! Fargo namedropped Fallout a couple of times, but the game was a combat strategy game, as opposed to an RPG with depth.

It didn't help that he filled the game with throwaway text, micromanagement and general stalling, because "that's what those nerds must like".

85. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 23:07 shihonage

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:22:
The world is open, not the story. Jesus. Stop nitpicking.

Don't panic.

How does the fact that it's not a completely loose story (which would be incredibly fucking boring--you need some framework, or you don't have a game) make it not fun to play or somehow ruin your enjoyment of the game?

Because I grew out of games which pretend to have choice&consequence but really don't. I know such games are possible - Fallout1&2 paved the way - and refuse to settle for simplistic design which amounts to LARPing simulators.

I'd argue that it's your attitude that ruins your enjoyment. Holy fucking shit. Learn to smile more. >_<

I'd argue that I'm more educated than you on how complex Fallout1/2's world reactivity was. Those games were a promise of things to come, but instead the industry's been devolving at worst, in stalemate at best.

Look at Fallout1/2 walkthroughs. Like this one:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nearly_Ultimate_Fallout_Guide

There's so much variability and world reactivity there, there are quests based on time behaviors, multiple solutions, world reactivity galore - it's just superior in every way to what we're being fed now.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking that world reactivity and C&C in an RPG is simply a series of IF-THEN statements.

In reality, while we have established, complex frameworks for rendering tree branches and fields of grass, nobody has pushed the art&science of non-linear story forward since 1997.

It doesn't require an "AI". That's a scapegoat. It doesn't require getting lost in a chess tree of infinite IF-THEN statements - that's a college students' approach.

What it does require is proper, functional framework.

And what happened to writing, proper lore-building? Fallout1/2 had pretty compact but functional/believable writing. Fallout 3 was a horrible mess. Mass Effect series is populated by Rain Men. All games have worse writing than the most mediocre TV show.

When was the last time you played a game and actually felt like you were doing what YOU want to do? I'd say, probably decades, or maybe never.

We've been so conditioned to follow the character's lead, follow the story's lead, reach the next checkpoint, "finish the story" that we've mentally become slaves to those expectations.

It's okay that you select something from the TWO choices your character has, and then he SAYS a completely different thing from what you just chose.

It's okay, man. Relax. Leave your brain at the door. Games are for brainless idiots.

Well, I refuse. I expect MORE - from story, world-building, non-linearity, reactivity.

These are THE qualities that the first 2 Fallouts took a big step toward, and Fallout 3 has abandoned due to technical ineptness, poor writing, and general ignorance.

There WILL be more, dammit. Even if I have to do it myself.

79. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 19:55 shihonage

One day I'll get the refund for my Fallout 3 Steam purchase. One day.

Meanwhile, never again.

______

And Fallout 3 was not an open-world game. It's time people grew up and realized that an open-world game which forces you through a specific series of checkpoint without any real variability on choice or sequence, is not open at all.

Games like GTA series, Far Cry series, and Bethesda's latest are not open-world games at all. They only let you be somewhere where you want to be, as long as your actions carry no consequence on anything real, i.e. the story.

They're LARPing simulators which from time to time remind you your place as the passive observer, by straitjacketing you into a linear story checkpoint.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2015, 20:01.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 31, 2015, 16:31 shihonage

Growing up as a nerd in school I started off by saying "chess is a sport!" (add nasal tone here). Then I grew out of it.

Let sports be sports, and games be games. Nobody suffers for it.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 31, 2015, 16:29 shihonage

PS3 owner detected.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 31, 2015, 04:34 shihonage

Todd Howard, is that you?  

25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 31, 2015, 04:20 shihonage

Reactor wrote on May 31, 2015, 03:39:
You sound like a nutter to me. If FO3 caused you 'mental torture'', make sure you avoid any game made after 1991, leaving the house, or talking to people. Basically doing anything.

Protip: it was a humorous exaggeration.

News Comments > Overwatch Video
13. Re: Overwatch Video May 31, 2015, 02:53 shihonage

When Blizzard started using WoW art style in all their games, they became homogenous in more than just appearances.

Starcraft 2 (2010) was the last game before the decline. After that, it's all been downhill.

Welcome to MMO remodeled into FPS as a hail mary. Much excite. So WoW.

23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 17:18 shihonage

harlock wrote on May 30, 2015, 17:17:
you seem to have strong feelings about this

Just as I would after stepping into horse manure.

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 16:08 shihonage

I do deserve a refund when I paid for entertainment and got mental torture instead.

The Aliens: CM and Fallout 3 were the most depressing gaming purchases I ever made (not in a good way).

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 15:59 shihonage

harlock wrote on May 30, 2015, 09:24:
F3 was mediocre, but not loathsome

I played the game some (what I could stomach, for science), and went through complete LPs of other people.

The only achievement this game has, is that it does not format your hard drive.

I could present screenshot evidence of just how horrifying the dialogue and world-building is, literally written by some programmer on a napkin, ALL OF IT, but frankly I shouldn't have to prove the obvious.

The game is super-linear, devoid of choices or world reactivity, because Bethesda confuses non-linearity with "ability to walk places".

The only thing that doesn't 100% suck about this game, is the setting it was inspired by, which is taken from the original Fallout, which remains a true classic.

That moment when you leave the Vault, with the sun affecting your vision, was equally if not more powerful in Fallout1, even if it only described it through a dungeon master textbox.

14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 06:54 shihonage

I don't know. Terrible engine? Terrible UI? Terrible writing, with dialogue obviously written by programmers, in a way that no living thing ever speaks?

Terrible world design? Terrible combat? Terrible story? Lack of non-linearity? Nuclear exploding cars? People in the middle of nuclear detonation instantly becoming ghosts? Non-reactive, non-consequential player stats? (unlike FO:NV)

Long, unskippable vault sequence?

Horrific animations and models? Loading screens upon entering every tiny hut? Trash items everywhere?

Graphics piss-filter?

Retardation in every possible crevice of this terrible product?

This just off the top of my head. There's more.

12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 05:26 shihonage

I want my fucking money back. This is the one game where I feel very strongly about that.

Well that and Fallout 3.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 30, 2015, 01:36 shihonage

Blaming Russians is en vogue these days. King Obama set a trend.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 29, 2015, 06:15 shihonage

Impressive aim, he knew exactly what he was doing. Probably due to experience.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches May 26, 2015, 18:08 shihonage

Not playing KF2 until they stop monsters from blatantly teleporting behind your back. Not only does the player move like a turtle, they STILL can't make this mechanic work gracefully, while L4D solved this 7 years ago.  

News Comments > Evolve Free Update Adds Arena Mode
2. Re: Evolve Free Update Adds Arena Mode May 26, 2015, 18:06 shihonage

"For those not up on your math, thatís 70 locked-down venues, ready for brawling."

Somehow the arrogance even seeps into the patch notes.

463 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo