Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 263 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 18, 2013, 01:00 shihonage

mag wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 00:13:
Protecting beautiful girlfriend by being nowhere near her when this goes down. Going to Hong Kong, which has a large amount of autonomy from China, and is strongly dedicated to free speech, and has an extradition exception for political crimes.

Leaving beautiful girlfriend in a country that can easily use her against him.

Being too good to go through whistleblowing channels already available in the country.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 17, 2013, 23:55 shihonage

Edward Snowden is showing himself to be rather weak-minded and easily provoked. This in addition to his actions making no sense (leaving beautiful girlfriend, fleeing to CHINA of all places).

CHINA. The bastion of freedom in the world. Seriously.

Perhaps, being badmouthed by an idiot like Edward Snowden means you're doing something right.

News Comments > Fez II Announced
17. Re: Fez II Announced Jun 14, 2013, 04:35 shihonage

Paketep wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 04:04:
It's not just his attitude. He left his costumers hanging in xbla because he fucked up and he didn't want to pay the microsoft fee to release a patch.

It does make it sound silly when you put it like that. Now when we look at the facts - the small matter of "Microsoft fee" is FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

For a guy who made a game in his basement.

Yeah. I can see why he wouldn't rush to release a patch there.

News Comments > Fez II Announced
9. Re: Fez II Announced Jun 13, 2013, 21:53 shihonage

It's funny. I have far more vitriol toward the smarmy Jay Wilson who spit in the face of millions of fans and ruined a franchise as well as compromised a formerly legendary company's reputation.

Phil Fish has temper tantrums. So do I. So what.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailers
10. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailers May 22, 2013, 04:08 shihonage

The first Modern Warfare had one of the best stories told in a videogame. It is where the limitations of the "linear FPS syndrome" were played to their advantages.

The magic was abruptly lost with MW2 and MW3. World At War had some poignant moments that reminded me of MW1, but that's about it. It all became about bombastic, disjointed setpieces. Black Ops was guilty of this as well, and it had some of the worst scripting (people complain about Medal of Honor?).

None of them measured up to MW1's intro, to what happens when the chopper goes down in the middle of the game, to the awesome Chernobyl flashbacks and even to the emotional payoff of its ending.

Stories in videogames usually don't amount to much, and in that respect, MW1 is still no "24" and it's not "Saving Private Ryan", but everything becomes known in comparison to its peers.

I was very excited for MW2 after the high note MW1 left things on... and it was crap. And everything else was crap. Observing the trend, this Ghosts game will be crap, too.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
22. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 01:21 shihonage

Truth hurts.  

20. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 01:11 shihonage

I've been a DS early adopter. As I said before, DS has a lot of good games if you are a child, or in the case of the two people who replied to me, if have the preferences of a child, i.e. are obsessed with cartoons, or suffer from permanent SNES/N64 nostalgia syndrome. No offense.

Asides from those "good" titles, the vast majority of DS titles are worthless shovelware, such as movie tie-ins. They have no quality filtering system and not enough blockbuster games to matter.

The only attempt to make a normal game on the DS has been GTA: Chinatown Wars, which apparently didn't do nearly as well financially as it deserved. It is a game that had no Mario, it had solid mechanics, pushed the system to the limit graphically, it wasn't some dumbed-down throwaway port but a full-featured GTA title.

However, should one go looking for more depth on the system, you will not find it, unless you're into games where you control 3-year-old protagonists with retarded Japanese storylines.

The proof of this is the lack of a single conventional CRPG. You will not find a Fallout, Baldur's Gate or anything of the sort on the DS. There are a few flawed dungeon crawlers, who think it's "hardcore" to make you pull out a piece of paper and draw your own maps. Once again, pointless appeal to nostalgia, oversimplification, and lack of substance.

DS has been strictly oriented toward the Nintendo Cultists(tm). Nostalgics, hippies, Japanophiles, people who just discovered videogames (i.e. what later became a Candy Crush Saga audience). It is what it is.

This is why after buying and selling a Wii, and getting burned by 3DS' complete lack of good games, I am not giving them any more money. They've been promising to appeal to a broader audience since, well, the DS, and all the signs point toward Wii U being just another failure in that regard.

16. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 23:30 shihonage

What goes around, comes around, Nintendo.

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids, your best 3DS game is still the last-gen title made for the original DS (GTA: Chinatown), and your Wii-U line-up is a big fat NOTHING.

Stop using Mario as your liferaft, stop the flood of shovelware on your consoles, and come up with some original IPs and protagonists. And do this 8 years ago.

Oh wai

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
52. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 18:45 shihonage

Solution to all problems: design the game with fixed FOV of 90.

90 is the FOV that doesn't cause motion sickness.

This is not as good as having an FOV slider, but a fuckton better than a fixed low FOV.

News Comments > Bethesda Game Vulnerability
20. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 17:55 shihonage

Bethesda games after Morrowind have been overstreamlined, boring slogfests with Asperger NPCs, stylistically ugly graphics, and monochromatic visuals.

As far as I'm concerned, their best game was that post-nuclear FPS with talking heads they made. It felt authentic to the license it was based on, it was atmospheric and had groundbreaking visuals at the time of release.

What was it called, again?

Oh yeah...

Terminator: Future Shock.

News Comments > Co-op a "Big Focus" of Diablo III 1.0.8
4. Re: Co-op a Mar 8, 2013, 02:38 shihonage

Sometimes the trip back to town to sort through a bag of gear is enough of a hurdle to make somebody feel playing co-op isn't worth it. Nobody wants to be in the dungeon fighting monsters while your teammate is off in town identifying a full inventory.

A year later, they still believe that oversimplifying and overstreamlining is the answer. What a sad picture.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition
17. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 05:50 shihonage

gtrogers wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:04:
Hi-Rez has been doing a great job of listening to their community lately. They hired a community relations guy whose job it is to relay what the fans want to the devs. This patch today has a ton of new content and I've sunk countless hours into the game since it launched. I'm a T1 and T2 veteran and am loving my time with this game. A lot of players got burned out in the first year and got frustrated with the imbalance and lack of clear communication with the devs, but that's all changed now.

If you're considering trying Tribes Ascend, or returning to it after a long hiatus, now's the time! VGH VGW VGS!

Total Comments 1

Wow, Hi-Rez must be really desperate to revive this failure.

Ever since it exited beta, they spent several months driving away half of their playerbase by making it unplayable on 32-bit systems and ignoring large threads of complaints on their forums.

They never fixed year-old bugs and "charming" oddities, but kept piling on new ones with each new feature added. It's become an expected pattern.

I abandoned ship a couple of months ago. By the time they figured how to stop the game from crashing on 32-bit systems (at low texture quality!), server population has dropped into oblivion.

SMITE players will soon be enjoying the same kind of support as we Tribes: Ascend players did. If you want something that lasts, better stay the hell away from Hi-Rez.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer
11. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer Jan 31, 2013, 04:28 shihonage

There's a very high probability of multiplayer mechanics being completely different from single-player/coop campaign. Movement speed, as well as everything else, cannot be the same for "story" aliens as it is for "deathmatch" aliens.

Thus, judging the story version of the game by its mandatory deathmatch tack-on is pretty stupid.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 25, 2013, 22:37 shihonage

Diablo III has devs?  

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2013, 00:29 shihonage

I watched 3 seasons of The Wire, and couldn't stand it anymore after that. The sedated pacing makes Downton Abbey seem like an action blockbuster. Literally nothing happens for half a season.

Like "Scarface", "The Wire" is one of those things people mention for some kind of mythical streed cred, which resulted in it being wildly overhyped.

"Oz" was about ten times better than "The Wire", for instance.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III
11. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 20:39 shihonage

Do they even have a bloom checkbox in the options yet? Or are we still relegated to third-party driver hacks like DarkD3?

Not that I care anymore. The game is banal-shit-boring, and the only reason it got so many sales is because of Blizzard's PRIOR reputation and momentum.

After Diablo3, this momentum stopped cold. They are now just another greedy game company, nothing more.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 7, 2013, 04:25 shihonage

I recently tried to install Windows 7 on a new HP laptop which came preinstalled with the nightmare that is Windows 8.

It is amazing, the number of walls I ran into (through BIOS, which made it a nightmare to boot from CD, through their replacement of MBR which hung Windows 7 install), the final one possibly being the worst. Just as I actually managed to install Windows 7, I discovered that HP provides no Windows 7 drivers for this laptop.

No USB/chipset driver, no wireless driver, nothing. I am sure that with scrupulous work and editing of .INF files, it may be possible to force those drivers to actually work on Win7, but the laptop wasn't mine and the person decided to simply return it.

Moral of the story: don't buy Windows 8 laptops with hopes of installing a real OS. Either find a Windows 7 laptop or bust.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Multiplayer
13. Re: Tomb Raider Multiplayer Dec 29, 2012, 20:17 shihonage

Multiplayer is not my concern. The game itself, however, looks like Tomb of Duty - suffocatingly linear, scripted, and pretty much the antithesis of the free-roaming illusion of the real Tomb Raider games.

Just one more sad attempt of game designers trying to make movies instead of games. I suspect it will profoundly fail at generating the drama, just as hundreds of similar attempts before it have failed. Like Max Payne 3 has failed.

Games cannot out-movie movies. They should be something you play, not passively watch.

News Comments > WoW 5.2 Preview
6. Re: WoW 5.2 Preview Dec 23, 2012, 04:03 shihonage

When WoW goes F2P I might give it another chance. They sucked enough money out of me over the years.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 16, 2012, 02:48 shihonage

There's the physical processor and there's the codeset. The article should've just said "386", not "i386".

Linux has been the most amazingly backward compatible OS up to this point because it could actually run on a 386 processor. Until now.

I don't think anyone cares.

263 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo