Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 309 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer
13. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer Nov 8, 2013, 03:35 shihonage

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 23:18:
I like how all the derps that think Path of Exile is better come in here and bag on this already. POE is such a shitfest. Typical anti blizzard idiots thinking its cool to hate the better title.

Looks like Jay Wilson has a lot of free time on his hands after being jettisoned from Diablo 3 development.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
76. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 31, 2013, 20:20 shihonage

So many strawmen here, no substance. If someone told you they love "Jack & Jill", would you still stick to "subjective quality" red herring?

Nobody needs Fallout 3 to be an accurate historical simulator. But even Mass Effect, the staple of RPG mediocrity, had better writing, FAR better visual design, and actually attempted to make its world cohesive in some way.

In Fallout 3, not only there's an inexplicable town sitting on a nuke(which makes no sense from any angle), but then you're greeted with open arms by a complete stranger Lucas Simms (who is tasked to protect the town), and then yet another complete stranger asks you to blow up the bomb, because apparently he couldn't be arsed to do it himself.

There's no backstory, no motivation or explanation for any of this.

And when you do blow up Megaton, a mutated human appears there immediately - Moira - and greets you with the most retarded attempts at fourth-wall humor I've ever seen. In Fallout 3, not only do humans survive nuclear blasts, but they mutate instantly!

The truth is, Fallout 3 falls far below any of its peers, those being games like Mass Effect, Gothic, Dragon Age, and The Witcher. The only memorable bits about the game were stolen from the prequels directly - the light you see when getting out of the vault, the "Vault Boy", the plot about water purification...

Their design was so bad, in fact, that in the end of Fallout 3 you end up having to go into a nuclear chamber, and you have an NPC with you who is IMMUNE to radiation, but the game won't let you send him in. When you try, he says "This is your path, and your path alone".

It makes no goddamn sense. The rest of the game is equally lazy. Fallout 3's world is not a world, but an "anything goes" theme park, a collection of kiosk vendors yapping in Simple English. And the sad part is, millions of supposed adults were "entertained" by it.

The cars strewn around that nobody robbed of fuel... nuke launchers... mutant orcs... The Matrix... one menial quest after another...

Hey man, I'm being overly subjective. After all, from a certain point of view, Mariah Carey's "Glitter" was a profound coming-of-age story.

65. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 30, 2013, 20:50 shihonage

I don't see how Fallout 3 could be considered immersive by anyone whose reading experience goes above books about friendly elephants and Dora The Explorer, but that is indeed your prerogative to "stand by".  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
21. Re: Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip Oct 30, 2013, 20:38 shihonage

Tom wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 18:30:
I'm sure that works great with Punkbuster...

It's not a DLL injection, it doesn't modify the executable or operating memory in any way, so it depends on how paranoid Punkbuster is.

63. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 30, 2013, 18:22 shihonage

Everytime I'm about to type something, SMA takes the response from my head and types it for me.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD SMA

The thing about "making Fallout 3 into a living, breathing world" was hysterical. Fallout 1's gameplay code and scripting made so much more effort toward that goal. There were so many more reactivity checks against your stats, the dialogue was more dynamic, the descriptive text screen alone played the role of a Dungeon Master that breathed more life into the world than anything in Fallout 3.

The quest system was more sophisticated, with things involving timing, interrupted dialogue, and other tricks. Multiple solutions to quests were the norm.

"Zany" Fallout is a trend started in Fallout 2, and then taken to retarded extremes in Fallout 3. Fallout 1 was a cohesive universe, and after Fallout 2, it became an "anything goes" universe. A theme park of random sci-fi attractions, that infected the entirety of the series including New Vegas and its "thematic" DLCs.

Unfortunately the game is old and now everyone is a revisionist historian. Another blow against intelligently-made games is that a retard can plow through it like it's Diablo, and all they take from the experience is killing shit, handing in quests, and taking loot.

Fallout as a franchise has no direction or theme anymore. Perhaps it wasn't even meant to be a franchise. Tim Cain, the mastermind of the series, left after the first game.

So did quality. It was replaced by quantity and lulz.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
17. Re: Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip Oct 30, 2013, 18:05 shihonage

If you want to have FXAA benefits without FXAA problems, get this:
http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

It works with pretty much every game, just like FXAA, but it reduces amount of blurring involved in the process. It is more accurate at estimating edges/perspective/etc.

I use it in Tribes: Ascend, it works great and doesn't blur text, either.

In order to use it, you'll have to unzip the corresponding files into game's binary folder so that it intercepts DirectX calls. And disable the game's native antialiasing modes, including FXAA.

37. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 06:23 shihonage

Sup SMA

Fighting the good fight on Blue's News, I see.

My favorite memory of Fallout 3 was the message "uninstall complete".

Regardless of lore, regardless of comparisons to the prequels, and entirely on its own, the game was a piece of garbage.

Awful UI, ugly piss-filter on even uglier graphics, load screens every time you enter a tiny hut(Terminator: Future Shock called from 1995, wants its engine back), abysmal writing (the worst I've ever seen in a game made by English speakers), inane location design, stupid/duplicate/nonintuitive dialogue choices, retarded logic, vampires (lolz), insta-ghouls, heavily railroaded gameplay progression despite illusory claims of "sandbox", SPECIAL system almost entirely lacking impact on gameplay, nuke launcher, invulnerable children used as a quest wall...

Fallout: New Vegas corrected many of these flaws, but far from all. It is, however, a title that may actually be kind of worthy of remembering. It is what happens when a reasonably skilled team takes an engine from drooling retards at Bethesda and tries to do something decent with it within a very limited amount of time.

News Comments > WoW Connected Realms Update
16. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 27, 2013, 06:15 shihonage

These raider story arcs give me flashbacks to when I cofounded an Unreal Tournament clan in 2004. Soon after, the other 2 cofounders started accepting people of highly questionable character but who "aimed well".

The game stopped being fun when we started having mandatory in-game meetings to practice wall jumps and other shit. This is what I was afraid of all along - game becoming another job.

There was a lot of clan drama between us and competiting clans, due to everyone being, well, a child, or at least acting like it.

Then some of our little shitheads started using aimbots just to "experiment", and told me to stop overreacting, which is why I realized nobody was listening to me, the other admins didn't give me ban power, and so I quit that kindergarden once and for all.

News Comments > AMD Beta Drivers
5. Re: AMD Beta Drivers Oct 26, 2013, 03:29 shihonage

Given how the "shitty drivers" wave has hit NVidia again, my next card will probably be ATI.

Before this, I owned an ATI card but their drivers became crap.

I can only hope that both sides aren't producing shitty drivers at the same time.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Launch Trailer
3. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Launch Trailer Oct 22, 2013, 06:35 shihonage

Looks the same as Black Ops 2 trailer... press W to progress. Hooray.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
19. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Sep 19, 2013, 20:04 shihonage

PowerVR is still kicking somewhere. They should step back in.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 18, 2013, 06:39 shihonage

Turn off hardware acceleration.  

News Comments > Red 5 Studios Reorganizing; Reworking Firefall PvP
10. Re: Red 5 Studios Reorganizing; Reworking Firefall PvP Sep 16, 2013, 23:19 shihonage

The game/UI was disjointed and goals were confusing last time I checked. Then after a few days of playing it, they patched it so it stuffed me into an unskippable tutorial, at which point I uninstalled.  

News Comments > WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst
40. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 19:48 shihonage

WoW will never die, if only for the fact that there are fully emulated servers running in countries outside the reach of U.S. law.

Of course by the time WoW is officially discontinued it should be considered abandonware, and ideally there should be no attempts to persecute the emulators anyway.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
26. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2013, 05:10 shihonage

Saw the first two posts by the troll and realized the 25-post count is going to amount to people feeding it.

Some things never change.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Aug 9, 2013, 04:45 shihonage

I bought the Duke3d for multiplayer, namely coop, because all Duke3d ports are half-assed and have broken coop.

... only to run into the small print that it's "pending". It's been pending for months and they missed their promised July deadline because they shifted resources to work on Shadow Warrior.

A spit in the face of paying customers, not dissimilar from behavior of Hi-Rez and what they did with Tribes: Ascend.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2013, 03:04 shihonage

I loved District 9, but Blomkamp may be a one-hit wonder. Elysium looks like a movie more concerned with Leninist propaganda than entertainment.

Despite Matt Damon, I'll give it a chance anyway. I watched "The Happening" in theaters, guess I'm big on... chances.

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
49. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 03:09 shihonage

Carmack is partially responsible for failure of Quake Wars, which was an excellent game brought down by shitty performance from early version of his MEGATEXTURE garbage.

If I was the devs that licensed that godawful engine from him, I'd sue.

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
42. Re: id: RAGE Aug 4, 2013, 23:12 shihonage

Silly Tim. Rage doesn't have a "universe". It is a collection of generic tropes, implemented through terrible fucking level design.

It's the kind of design where you have invisible walls. THAT KIND. Coming from id software, the former king of FPS.

Rage is dead. id has been dead since Romero left, really.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 21:18 shihonage

@Beamer: agreed.  

309 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo