Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 509 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Plans
9. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Plans Jul 24, 2015, 04:51 shihonage
"Lara must use her tits and survival skills, form new alliances, and ultimately embrace her destiny as the Tomb Raider."

Had to do a double-take, because it made sense this way.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
28. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 22, 2015, 03:27 shihonage
News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
4. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 21, 2015, 19:33 shihonage
In before this game is retooled at the last minute into the world's most ambitious screensaver. Eat that, flying toasters!  
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 21, 2015, 18:10 shihonage
The Roslyn compiler doesn't extend to C++, therefore there's no reason for me to migrate in hopes of effective refactoring of old code.  
News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 21, 2015, 17:02 shihonage
The "study of the study" picked 100 fact checks from over 7000 the source actually checked since 2007.

The source officially condemned this selective misinterpretation of the results.

The link to said misinterpretation is now dead, because, well, it doesn't hold water.

Also, this.

As an immigrant from USSR, I've not seen people more deluded or brainwashed than American liberals - not since being brainwashed myself in Soviet academia into ideologies frighteningly similar to Obama's Statism and cultivation of class wars.

It takes one to know one. The brainwashing will defend itself at all costs - no wonder you people grasp at the flimsiest straws.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2015, 17:13.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
53. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 20, 2015, 06:37 shihonage
Quinn wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 05:48:
We have a huge difference of opinion. When a character would simply drop dead in battle, I'd just get pissed off due to dumb AI behavior and press the quickload button. On the other hand, when the written story leads to a possible death of a companion, all wrapped up in cinematic music and proper behavior of the protagonist.. Only that would move me. You see, when I'm blazing guns and move from cover to cover, I'm just having fun playing a GAME, and nothing can move me like a good book or movie would. But when the story that is told to me through the game is moving, it moves me like any other medium.

Sure, immortal NPCs are unrealistic, but the story that can be told because of this is worth it to me.

Imagine a game like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. It would have been impossible to write the story that they did with mortal companions. I was moved by Loghain's sacrifice. I was moved when I had to sacrifice one of the two companions in Mass Effect 1. I was annoyed in Gothic 1, when I killed an NPC and a red text told me I had killed a story critical NPC and could not continue said story.

I see RPGs as role-playing games, not cinematic emotioneering. A genuine RPG maintains a different kind of consistent immersion, one which is out of your frame of reference entirely.

The less you're involved in the gameplay, the less control you have over the gameworld, the less important events matter in the game. The illusion DOES NOT HOLD, so you're pushed out of the gameworld almost immediately, and it happens in every single so-called "RPG" these days, so people are used to it. The loss of discernment in modern gamers is indeed tragic.

As for the NPCs deaths locking out content...

You assume that the death of NPC necessarily locks out content in all cases. That's not always the case. In Arcanum you could sometimes find notes they left behind and continue. There are other ways. It's called "design".

In Fallout, one NPC remained invulnerable through 99.99% of the game - the Vault Overseer, who gave you the main two quests. However it didn't seem jarring or unnatural to me, because he sat in a shielded turret installation, defending the Vault. If you attacked, he cursed you and fired his minigun from up high. Naturally.

But even THAT is details.

The main point is, the whole idea of the player "seeing everything in one playthrough", is a dead-end.

The very concept of choice&consequence precludes this from happening!

C&C is a key quality of a proper RPG, and when it's present, it means you CANNOT experience ALL that the game has to offer, in one playthrough!

And killing an NPC is just another choice, which has its own consequences.

Real C&C means a game has depth, and therefore, replayability, as well.

Modern RPGs make sure that your choices are largely inconsequential, so you can "experience all the cool stories they want you to experience".

Too much ego, too much shoving of content in your face, too little understanding of the most promising gaming genre.

World reactivity is KEY to immersion. Being able to do things your way, and have the world behave as expected.

Streamlining, "cinematic experiences" - this is, indeed, the true decline. It is also lazy design, primitive framework, inability to innovate or learn from lessons of the past. Arrogance.

I never felt immersed in Mass Effect, not even a little. The walls closed in fast. Straitjacketed narrative, primitive content hubs, nonconsequential dialogue, crappy realtime combat which bleeds player skill into character skill...

I'm tempted to say, in Soviet Russia, RPG plays you! Because that's how it feels playing Bioware games... like I am the one being played. One checkpoint to the next.
51. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 20, 2015, 03:11 shihonage
InBlack wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 02:13:
Well said. I agree 100%. The stupid immortal NPCs is just LAZY programming. Nothing else. "Hey this dude should be key to our story, he CANT die, lets make him Immortal". LAZY FUCKING GAME DESIGN.
"Hey, lets make all of our NPCs immortal, that way we can write all these cool stories for them and the player gets to see them all, high five bros!!!" LAZY FUCKING GAME DESIGN TIMES ONE MILLION!

If that was genuine agreement, great.
If that was sarcasm, it was misplaced.
News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 20, 2015, 01:00 shihonage
That space truck simulator is deader than dead.  
49. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 19, 2015, 18:34 shihonage
Jerykk wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 18:18:
Eh, to be fair, Dogmeat was basically worthless in FO1 because he was killable and you had no real control over him. He'd attack Deathclaws and Super Mutants armed with gatling lasers or he'd just walk through a laser forcefield.

At a certain point, you either said "screw it" and let him die or reloaded your save every time he died. Making him invincible (but still get knocked out if his health reaches 0) means he can still be useful but not OP and won't feel like a burden either.

Yes, one could say that Dogmeat's death in Fallout was essentially scripted for emotional manipulation. But therein lies the difference in Fallout's design in all respects vs. newer RPGs.

Its walls are not "hard", but stretchable. There isn't a specific moment where Dogmeat died. Whatever moment he dies, it's YOUR moment, inside GAMEPLAY, while you're immersed. You were with him during the battle. It's not some crappy cutscene which dictates what happen - you bear partial responsibility for it due to your involvement.

And isn't there a little bit of tragedy in how that could, indeed, happen? Dogs do get attached. There are no dog-sitters in the apocalypse. And you can't exactly put power armor on them.

And of course, there's also the fact that Fallout is so stretchable, that some people managed to keep Dogmeat alive through the end - by locking him behind forcefields in Military Base and killing all the mutants.

It is an unreasonable amount of effort, but not having hard walls goes a long way toward immersion. It is harder to design, but it is the true path in evolution of RPGs.
47. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 19, 2015, 00:37 shihonage
Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 08:19:
I don't agree. In fact, I call utter bullshit.

Have you ever played Mass Effect? If you did, you probably did get attached to characters. None of them were not immortal in combat. None.

In fact, any important NPC in any game I can come up with is immortal in this sense.

The fact that they CAN die in the story depending on your decisions, that's what matters. The interaction you have with the characters outside of combat, that's what matters -- that's what develops a relationship, like that first moment you meet Dogmeat in this video.

Ahem. Actually Dogmeat originated in Fallout 1, where he was killable. And so was every single NPC in the game, including quest givers and other potential companions.

Fallout 2 and Arcanum followed a similar design.

They key word here being "design". RPGs hit their apex mechanically in the late 90s, and console dudebro abominations like "Mass Effect" mutilated the genre into something utterly unrecognizeable.

At some point the publishers interpreted RPG as "Really Profitable Game", and thus it became an amalgamation of genres.

"Mass Effect" does not know how to make player care. Its NPCs are autistic infodumps, they talk like no one ever, and what you say to them is disconnected from what is shown on the screen.

Mass Effect is a generic action franchise with a few stats thrown in, and a few IF-THEN pivot points to give it that RPG flavor without any of the substance.

Its idea of emotional involvement revolves around hackneyed "tearjerker" cutscenes (my eyes were even drier than usual), and awkward bumping-mannequins "lovemaking".

The success of dudebro RPGs like Mass Effect is a symptom of the general decline of the audience. Consoles made games a form of passive entertainment, a set of clowns juggling chainsaws on your TV while you lay back on the couch and absorb content.

Like COD series, it was a big step back toward reducing interactivity in games, essentially neutering the strongest feature that makes them unique, and instead trying to play off genre's secondary qualities of being able to poorly, very poorly, imitate a really crappy movie.

Bioware/Bethesda wouldn't know how to make the player feel immersed, involved, or make him care. That art was lost a long time ago. It requires actual thought, design, innovation, writing. It requires an innate understanding that an interactive world is the holy grail of an RPG.
News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2015, 07:37 shihonage
harlock wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 07:24:
not surprising that some people want to lick trump's asshole

its the same people who are so retarded they would love to drown themselves in his diseased sperm, and dream of choking on a gold encrusted cock

Aww, the angst, the hormones. Keep being adorable, you
33. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 06:13 shihonage
Bethesda making Dogmeat invulnerable means there will be heavy-handed emotional manipulation cutscenes which will of course fail because Dogmeat has been invulnerable and you never grew to care about it.

That company wouldn't know storytelling if it sat on Todd Howard's face.
News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2015, 06:02 shihonage
If you filter out all the sentences that start with "ME", "MY", etc, Derek Smart has homed in on an obvious truth, and he's milking it with glee.

Star Citizen WILL blow up, it is inevitable. It will be as if thousands of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly... well... no, they'll be crying for a long, long time.

Chris Roberts will be a pariah of unprecedented proportions. He's gonna make John Romero his bitch.

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 21:14:
zombiefan wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 20:30:
The Donald Trump (outrageous ego) of video games takes on the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker of video games (promising Nirvana while fleecing the imbecilic sheep). Now we just need Geraldo to cover the fracas. Or Jack Thompson.

Trump is a very apt comparison. I have no idea why he gets the air time he does.

Authenticity tends to get through to people, especially in our age of double-speaking politicians with triple-vetted teleprompter speeches.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2015, 06:08.
29. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 04:46 shihonage
Fallout fans (of the first two games) should be far more concerned with those issues than an underwhelming presentation.

After Fallout 3, if anything, this game might be an improvement.

It's not a Fallout game even a little bit, but as far as walking simulators go, it has better graphics and seems to be more honest about its useless stats by simply discarding them in favor that something may work better for its purposes.
26. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 01:25 shihonage
Didn't you know?

These days, IMURSHUN is achieved not through choices&consequences, cohesive worlds, engaging writing, stats that matter, reactivity, but through animated water and weaving grass.

Epically minigunning a Deathclaw is really the core of Fallout, see? MAXIMUM IMURSHUN.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
32. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 17:52 shihonage
I'm about to publish my formerly DOS-based ASCII shooter on Steam. Product of adolescence.

It had an internal FPS of 15 at the time. I doubled it to smoothe the "camera" movement, so now it's 30.

Gah. Guess that's not enough now... even though it's largely pointless, because the game will still respond at 15FPS internally.
News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 17, 2015, 04:17 shihonage
"Feature creep bloat". Isn't that like "ATM machine", "Sahara desert", etc?  
News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 00:06 shihonage
harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 23:31:
we know you arent perfect, but youre also annoying and stupid

so try to keep it short, ok kiddo?

That vague feeling of discomfort you felt upon glancing over my review, was created by your brain cells trying to multiply. I know it's uncomfortable at first, but hey, you spelled "youre" instead of "ur", and you are posting on a niche site created in the late 90s, so you are making progress. Keep it up! Thumbsup
11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 11, 2015, 23:25 shihonage
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 22:21:
All that needs to be realized from shihonage and his opinion is this quote from a few days ago from a previous post "The more people we have like Derek Smart and Peter Molyneux and that Fez guy, the better."

The only thing more delusional then shihonage is the fictitious antihero in this show.

That said, Again, amazing show.

You certainly have an interesting definition of "amazing", and a particularly content-free way of arguing your point. As for the ridicule, it really speaks for itself.

harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 22:13:
shihonage wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 20:28:
harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 13:48:
love this show

nobody cares

yeh but it didnt take me 5000 words to say it

It's okay son, nobody's perfect.
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 11, 2015, 20:28 shihonage
harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 13:48:
love this show

nobody cares
509 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo