Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 227 (Novice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2014, 17:49 shihonage

Oculus Rift is a convention device. It works great at conventions where the exposure is limited. Once you own it, you will realize that it is nauseating and impractical to use.

I kind of applaud the genius of its creators, who managed to sell the thing to Facebook before anyone realized that it's a dud.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall Optimization Tips
42. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 17:38 shihonage

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 09:33:
Titanfall is a game that introduces multiple paths to victory to team deathmatch. That you somehow hadn't noticed that proves that what Trevellian said is correct, and everything you type about Titanfall is a waste of keystrokes.

I didn't mean multiple paths LITERALLY you simpleton. Yes, the wall-running, how novel, oh no you can chain them, I got hang of it in minutes.

Quake Wars just had a richer arsenal of possibilities at any given moment, which included the weapons you used and how they worked. It was a deeper game in all respects. It had a ton more vehicles, includine Titans, which handled far more satisfactorily than the ones in Titanfall. They could go prone, like a siege tank, and be repaired. It even had Titanfall's "falling from the sky" effect, which looked awesome.

I have many demos recorded from Quake Wars still lying on my HD, after I got pretty good with it, bouncing shots off walls and doing all kinds of crazy shit that is way beyond the shallow herp-derp-COD-clones like Titanfall.

I think I'm gonna dig up those demos and make a tribute video to Quake Wars in pointless hope that it will help get the game back.

31. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 07:50 shihonage

I'm pretty good at Tribes, have been there since beta, and score on top of the team pretty much every day.

I'm also well-aware of all the hacks floating around, and just how widespread they are. I could go into detail on where you could find proof of this, but I won't.

I don't "cry hax" because I suck, but because I've seen aimbots ruin clans in Unreal Tournament 2004, because I've seen people hack in Tribes, including teleporting other players around the map at will, hacked rate of fire on weapons, you name it.

Titanfall is just another easily hackable game with dull, hitscan weapons, and there are already aimbots out for it.

My point was that I miss games which weren't made for idiots (COD/Titanfall), and weren't simplistic, sloppy-coded garbage(Tribes:Ascend). They had multiple paths to victory, which suffocated hackers even with working aimbots. Quake Wars was such a game. It died an undeserving death.

Another such game was Tribes 1 with Shifter mods. Unprecedented.

29. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 06:59 shihonage

I got sick of all the DLL injectors and .INI hacks in Tribes: Ascend. You never know who's a scumbag with a rate-of-fire or sparkly player cheat or hitbox cheat or whatnot...

Bought Titanfall to try something new. It plays just like the FPS I hate - Call of Duty series. You get killed in 0.2 seconds by someone who may or may not be using a hitscan aimbot.

_______

Quake Wars' mechs felt better than those in Titanfall. They also looked magnificent and handled better. They even had a prone mode. And Quake Wars had jetpacks, like Tribes. Quake Wars' depth of mechanics always kept cheaters at bay, just because the game wasn't simple enough to be easily exploitable.

It was my perfect online FPS. I mourn its demise. Oh, how I mourn it.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
16. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 18:11 shihonage

They stopped supporting my GTX 260 a long time ago. Do the "BIoshock Infinite" optimizations really work on it? Do the "Titanfall drivers" actually improve its performance in Titanfall?

Who the hell knows.

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale
18. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale Jan 30, 2014, 04:09 shihonage

Played a little coop with a friend (E1M1, E1M2), it stayed in sync and wasn't as laggy as I expected. People say it crashes on E1M3 though.

Predictably, the devs did the same thing you could do with Doom's EXTRATIC parameter - improve perceived smoothness of the game at expense of responsiveness. It looks fine as long as you're watching and not playing.

GZDoom's peer-to-peer mode wipes the floor with this port in terms of performance and responsiveness.

And, as a finishing touch on this lazy, endlessly delayed, hackjob of a patch, they disabled saving and loading in co-op, which was present in the original Duke3D and some ports.

That so-called "developer" should be fired.

16. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale Jan 29, 2014, 18:31 shihonage

Maybe I should've made it more clear. If you're looking for co-op, developers will abandon it. Single-player is fine.

Of course, the game is 18, it moved out of the house, got married, had kids, and all of us already played the crap out of its single-player, so co-op/deathmatch is the only thing that was not properly replicated until now and therefore is worth a damn.

14. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale Jan 29, 2014, 07:05 shihonage

Don't buy this game. You can get a better experience with an old version of eDuke32. One of those old versions had stable co-op.

____

My sordid and tawdry timeline of Duke3D: Megaton Edition:

* Bought it for co-op
* Discovered it was false advertising but devs promised to release co-op (the patch that came out NOW) by July 2013 at the latest
* Devs shifted and pushed the deadline to "when it's done" because they started working on Shadow Warrior Redux instead of delivering their promises on time
* Saw what was happening with co-op beta way past deadline and called developer on their incompetent bullshit. Predicted their code will never work right and they'll just end up scrapping co-op and pretending it was never there.
* Developer smarmily called me an idiot who doesn't know shit about networking.
* I told him I coded both P2P and client-server networking engines with lag tolerance, and that instead of giving me attitude he should keep his mouth shut and get back to delivering the failed promise.
* Got banned by upset developer from Steam forum.

Now, after a long and painful beta, the "non-beta beta" patch is released and it's pretty much just a checkmark they checked off. They will abandon this game and pretend everything has been delivered as promised. It is inevitable.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 25, 2014, 06:46 shihonage

Don't believe the "dispelling HD myth" article. Stay away from Seagate drives, they're shit, and have been shit for a very long time.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur
25. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 19:11 shihonage

A schilling quote.  

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
37. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 23, 2013, 23:26 shihonage

You're a LARPer. Bethesda makes games for LARPers because of their own failure at semi-coherent or even meaningfully branching narrative. You enjoy the walking simulator aspect, while for me it's gotten banal, mundane and generally old a long time ago.

I understand some games where this works. Games where you truly create your own narrative, because they're procedural and feature emergent gameplay features. Games like Dwarf Fortress. You don't need to LARP in Dwarf Fortress, because what happens IS the story.

Fallout 3 doesn't have that, neither does Skyrim. Neither does GTA series for that matter. They don't have fluid gameplay systems that intersect and create emergent narrative.

Therefore, you're forced to LARP it while you walk the wasteland and hand in some of the worst-written quests in history of videogames. Your emergent gameplay there amounts to an odd bug or to rearranging furniture in someone's home.

And since the rational mind rejects vampire cults, suicidal trees, and towns built on nuclear bombs, it just leaves a void where narrative should've been.

As for sales numbers, that's hardly indicator of quality. Phantom Menace made a mountain of money, yet it's one of the worst movies ever made.

35. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 23, 2013, 21:34 shihonage

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 10:35:

It will look great. Even though I rather not have loads, their last few games entering a building the load time is in ms, no seconds. Yeah they suck, they can only branch story lines about 5x deeper than any other game maker, make worlds larger than anyone else and allow us to mod the bejesus out of it. Only a retard wouldn't be able to see that.

Not everyone has an SSD, so let's not exaggerate the Gamebryo performance here.

Fallout:NV, made by Obsidian, puts Fallout 3 and Skyrim story branching to shame. So do Fallout 1 and 2, on many levels.

As to what "only a retard wouldn't be able to see", is how drab these "walking simulator" games are in every respect. Rearranging cups on a table is not good gameplay, and making a large empty world and then artificially padding playtime by giving player slow movement speed isn't good gameplay either.

Despite the illusory of vast expanses, Fallout 3 was actually a very railroaded game compared to any of its peers. It was very Biowarian in nature that way, except that Bioware's mediocre writing is Shakespearean compared to anything Bethesda churns out.

31. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 23, 2013, 00:31 shihonage

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:37:
There's going to be a Fallout 4, nothing to tease. Now if someone has specific game-play details... now you have some news!

No, but I can predict them. It's still gonna look like ass, have loading screens upon entering every tiny little hut, inventory will show you one item at a time, writing will be retarded, but HEY! There will be winter effects! Nuclear winter is the new dragons!

I'm waiting until Bethesda follows my ingenious suggestion and combines both franchises into a game based on Reign of Fire. Post-apocalyptic dragons. Voila, one franchise, two retarded fanbases, everyone wins.

Except Fallout fans of course. But we haven't won since 1998.

News Comments > Patch Notes Confirm CoD: Ghosts RAM Change
3. Re: Patch Notes Confirm CoD: Ghosts RAM Change Nov 20, 2013, 15:46 shihonage

Still won't recompile the executable for 32-bit systems. Yet the game runs fine on XBOX 360 with its tiny hardware and looks kinda the same as it does on PC, which was always the case on the series.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Lowers RAM Requirement
16. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Lowers RAM Requirement Nov 19, 2013, 15:00 shihonage

So the game that takes 2gb of operating memory is still alienating 30-50% of its audience by refusing to run on 32-bit systems for no reason.

Well played. The last time I've seen that type of stupidity, was when Tribes: Ascend refused to work on 32-bit systems for several months, and lost a huge chunk of playerbase, which eventually put it in a death spiral.

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
47. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 02:21 shihonage

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 01:38:
Um, I'm not sure what version of Skyrim you play, but with HD textures, and the enhancement mods alone (Town and Villages Enhanced for example), the game is vastly better then the current console version or the vanilla PC version.

But look at GTA 4 to Red Dead Redemption or GTA 5. Same engine vastly improved over 3 games. Let's see what they can do with the Skyrim engine in their second game.

I can get a sense of a game engine. Skyrim still has load screens for every little hut, just like all their prior Gamebryo games. No real link between indoor and outdoor areas.

The fact that this gaping problem, one which was solved by Tribes in 1998, still exists in their engine, is telling as to how far they can push it overall.

Some engines grow better than others.

Look at COD series. In Modern Warfare 1 (COD4) the Quake3 engine received its last facelift. Every MW game since then looked exactly the same. Ghosts added sunshafts but otherwise looks the same.

Skyrim still looks quite mediocre compared to its contemporaries, nevermind the best offerings on the market. It's a road of diminishing returns.

44. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 01:32 shihonage

Cyant wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 00:54:
please be PS4 / Xbox One/ PC only (as in dont get constrained by 512MB ram consoles)

It's not gonna look any better than Skyrim anyway. That engine is creaking at the seams, but they will run it into the grave.

They can't switch to id software's engines because they can't migrate all the RPG mechanics, dialogue parsing, a ton of underlying gameplay stuff would have to be rewritten from scratch, and Todd Howard likes money.

26. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 18:27 shihonage

Playing Fallout 3 was like being stuck in the mind of an idiot with no way to get out. Probably the most agonizing gaming experience I ever had.

FO:NV was an improvement in that it made SPECIAL actually matter, as opposed to being just a set of numbers you get to see in the beginning, never to matter again. It also had dialogue in English, as opposed to Fallout 3's Simple English, and has gone through a lot of effort to continue the legacy of Fallout 2 properly.

Unfortunately it suffers from the same horrendous engine, interface, combat system, and its world still has a massive amount of derp.

However, Obsidian only had a year or so to work on it, they were saddled with all these limitations, and they clearly rushed things.

Fallout 4 made by Obsidian could in fact be a good or even a great game. Fallout 4 made by the same team in Bethesda responsible for Fallout 3... would be just another journey through the shallow recesses of Todd Howard's dudebro mind.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer
13. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer Nov 8, 2013, 03:35 shihonage

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 23:18:
I like how all the derps that think Path of Exile is better come in here and bag on this already. POE is such a shitfest. Typical anti blizzard idiots thinking its cool to hate the better title.

Looks like Jay Wilson has a lot of free time on his hands after being jettisoned from Diablo 3 development.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
76. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 31, 2013, 20:20 shihonage

So many strawmen here, no substance. If someone told you they love "Jack & Jill", would you still stick to "subjective quality" red herring?

Nobody needs Fallout 3 to be an accurate historical simulator. But even Mass Effect, the staple of RPG mediocrity, had better writing, FAR better visual design, and actually attempted to make its world cohesive in some way.

In Fallout 3, not only there's an inexplicable town sitting on a nuke(which makes no sense from any angle), but then you're greeted with open arms by a complete stranger Lucas Simms (who is tasked to protect the town), and then yet another complete stranger asks you to blow up the bomb, because apparently he couldn't be arsed to do it himself.

There's no backstory, no motivation or explanation for any of this.

And when you do blow up Megaton, a mutated human appears there immediately - Moira - and greets you with the most retarded attempts at fourth-wall humor I've ever seen. In Fallout 3, not only do humans survive nuclear blasts, but they mutate instantly!

The truth is, Fallout 3 falls far below any of its peers, those being games like Mass Effect, Gothic, Dragon Age, and The Witcher. The only memorable bits about the game were stolen from the prequels directly - the light you see when getting out of the vault, the "Vault Boy", the plot about water purification...

Their design was so bad, in fact, that in the end of Fallout 3 you end up having to go into a nuclear chamber, and you have an NPC with you who is IMMUNE to radiation, but the game won't let you send him in. When you try, he says "This is your path, and your path alone".

It makes no goddamn sense. The rest of the game is equally lazy. Fallout 3's world is not a world, but an "anything goes" theme park, a collection of kiosk vendors yapping in Simple English. And the sad part is, millions of supposed adults were "entertained" by it.

The cars strewn around that nobody robbed of fuel... nuke launchers... mutant orcs... The Matrix... one menial quest after another...

Hey man, I'm being overly subjective. After all, from a certain point of view, Mariah Carey's "Glitter" was a profound coming-of-age story.

227 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo