Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 253 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans
13. Re: Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans Sep 18, 2014, 23:18 shihonage

This game is gonna be crap. Therefore, DLC will also be crap. Case closed.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 16, 2014, 08:12 shihonage

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 20:13:
I believe he's the cause of ISIS and the hate for the west.

He's the Bieber of Youtube.

Oh wait-

News Comments > Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer
32. Re: Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer Sep 15, 2014, 07:47 shihonage

mj_popcorn.gif  

News Comments > Alien Isolation Specs
22. Re: Alien Isolation Specs Sep 11, 2014, 08:11 shihonage

I'm 95% certain this is going to be another Colonial Marines fiasco. Don't preorder this crap.

It will be a trial-and-error game with zero fun value, a misguided design that works during brief exposure during demos and on video, but not as an actual game.

News Comments > Transverse Announced
20. Re: Transverse Announced Sep 10, 2014, 06:55 shihonage

InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 02:40:
I gave up on MW:O when I figured out that Clan Wars was goddamn lie. There is no cake.

Now these clowns are trying to poach CR's suckers... Jesus Christ, why not, I dont know, hmmm let me think, crowdsource a Mechwarior single player campaign!!!???

Indeed. Mechwarrior as an MMO was a shitty idea from the start. They should've made a tribute to Mechwarrior 2 instead, a single-player game of epicness.

Unfortunately nobody can really make a game that feels as good as MW2, because it used an excellent engine with flight sim physics which were military grade. Because the dude who wrote that engine used to make military grade simulators.

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
31. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 7, 2014, 06:35 shihonage

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 18:57:
How the fuck ISIS is our problem? These guys just want what they've wanted all along, westerners out of their countries.

Go far back enough in history, way before there were "westerners in their countries", they were doing the same shit.

They will be doing the same shit once the westerners are out of their countries. They will be performing genocide on their own people just as they do now, repressing and castrating their women, brainwashing their children into culture of death, and constantly trying to fuck over the political systems and start conflicts in all pockets of the world where they gather en masse.

Radical Islam is a militant political regime. Always has been. Always will be. It is a constant danger to the civilized world, it accepts no compromise or negotiation, and it understands nothing except superior power.

Unfortunately, students cocooned into America's leftist education system have been brainwashed into believing that Christians are the real enemy of the modern world, while peace-loving Muslims are merely misunderstood.

Brainwashing is hard to wash off, because nobody who is brainwashed understands that they are. Such people have long lost the ability for critical thinking or seeing factual information from an unbiased perspective. Political correctness alarms blare in their head, stopping them from stepping into "radiation zone". Really, it is very effective hypnotism, and it is the most effective on the young, every which one of them wants to feel truly enlightened.

News Comments > Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs
6. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 6, 2014, 18:36 shihonage

You don't need to handle the GPU side. You can run your games in 1080p on a 4K monitor. The upscaling should work well in this situation.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 00:14 shihonage

From everything I've seen, ESO is another single-player "MMO". That they want you to pay monthly fee for. HA!  

News Comments > Alone in the Dark: Illumination Trailer, Details
5. Re: Alone in the Dark: Illumination Trailer, Details Sep 2, 2014, 04:00 shihonage

Wow, this is an awful trailer.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
25. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 31, 2014, 06:04 shihonage

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 02:52:
shihonage wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 19:55:
It was created by ActiBlizzard Of New, directed by idiots like Jay Wilson, who saw Diablo as a mindless clickfest for ADHD tweens, and made it exactly into that.

Was it ever anything else than that? Don't think so. You're kidding yourself if you do. It's probably just you outgrew Diablo since it was about a decade between 2 and 3 but it's always been a retarded clickfest for short bus riding monkeys.

When it comes to Diablo3, there is a laundry list of factual retarded design decisions that were a reversal of those made in Diablo2 by a much smarter team.

So it is you who is kidding yourself here. It is typical for people to assume that a game with better graphics has better gameplay mechanics underneath, but in reality a lot of older games had brilliant coding and design which was never repeated again.

Here are just a few of those items off the top of my head:

1) The core element of roguelikes, dungeon generation, is completely broken in Diablo3. Dungeons vary very little, because they consist of large art pieces. This cannot be fixed with a patch due to the need to completely rework and reformat all the art.

WE CAN STOP HERE.

Really, if this was the ONLY FLAW, it would've already made this game utter shit. No further explanation needed.

2) You could play Diablo1/Diablo2 while ignoring the story completely, and it never got in your way. The games were just vast roaming spaces with a town in the middle, and entrances to various dungeons. Diablo3 made an effort to be story-heavy, which in turn railroads the player in the beginning section of the game, and in general further removes randomization. It also accosts the player with stupid in-game cutscenes at every step. In Diablo2, you would move around while NPCs said their taunts, but in Diablo3 every one of them insists on reading you War&Peace.

Diablo1/2 were games with brief NPC background talk, and the rest you could find in town by listening to gossip, IF YOU CHOSE TO. Diablo3 NPCs are like an annoying spinster who rarely gets any visitors, so they talk your fucking ears off.

3) There is no way to customize stats.

4) There is no concept of distinct character builds, no sense of careful investment. This is just another lazy move by designers because they've failed to balance the game and are really afraid some builds can't get through it. Another rational solution would've been to just get a respec option for a moderately punishing price. Or maybe have a synergy system from Diablo2.

5) The character archetypes in Diablo2 were very clear, and their abilities were pretty intuitive. In Diablo3 they're a moronic mess. Their unneeded backgrounds are written to appeal to tweens, and worst of all, the characters look and sound appropriately. And for some reason my mage guy always looks like an Asian woman. They all look stupid except the Barbarian, the only unmolested class from the prequels. Necromancer, an excellent class, was removed once again as to not be controversial and not to upset the 3-year-olds they want to be gobbling up this game.

6) While we're on this subject, a lot of satanic references and "controversial" imagery were removed. The game became Disneyworld, with monsters no longer having a solid pre-rendered look, but instead made of colored paper-mache. Curiously, Starcraft2 managed to retain the solid look of its prequel. It's just the Diablo3 team that screwed the pooch.

7) The cretinous blur filter which still has no in-game option to turn off. Once you install DarkD3 and see how much texture detail this filter OBSCURS, you will ask what the designers were thinking.

8) As further extension of this, Diablo3 characters are now allowed to look like flamingoes from distance.

9) The player downtime in towns in Diablo2 is something I really liked. In an action movie you need moments of silence in order for the action to not get old. Diablo3 team deliberately stated they pretty much hated town downtime and wanted the player to always be in the action. As result, several decisions were made, including allowing each class to identify their own items. A muscle-bound brute now is a lore historian like Deckard Cain. They killed him off in this NU DIABLO, because thanks to their stupid decisions, he became expendable.

10) No real control over town portals. It's trivial to always be up-to-date on another player's location now. There's no danger or exploration as you catch up to a team who has an old portal up. No strategic placement of portals before a big fight. No need to buy town portals, no joy in finding them lying around either.

11) The gameplay in co-op feels like fighting by myself with other people near me fighting by themselves. Diablo2 was much better at encouraging people to cooperate. Paladin with his auras, Necromancer would create walls to control enemy flow, and plomp golems inside the isolated pockets...

To make a long story slightly shorter, Diablo2 was a masterpiece compared to this heinous piece of overstreamlined garbage. Removal of player agency is the THEME of Diablo3.

I haven't outgrown Diablo2, just as I haven't outgrown Fallout1, or X-Com1, or Battlezone, or Mechwarrior2, or fucking Doom... which are all games of stellar quality, and some of which I was replaying fairly recently.

Starcraft2 managed to repeat the magic of the first game. But that's because they didn't throw its lessons into the garbage. Yet Diablo3 team of arrogant dicks did exactly that.

It's the truth. Deal with it.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2014, 06:17.

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
13. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 30, 2014, 19:55 shihonage

I had hopes for Diablo 3 2.0, but it looks like they haven't fixed any of the glaring problems and general stupidity. In fact it appears 2.1.0 patch introduces some kind of level scaling mechanics.

All in all, this game is unsalvageable. It was created by ActiBlizzard Of New, directed by idiots like Jay Wilson, who saw Diablo as a mindless clickfest for ADHD tweens, and made it exactly into that. Self-fulfilling prophecy, if you will.

Gone is the synergy of player cooperation, complex maze generation, and any sense of real player agency except for clicking on shit. I'll always be bitter about this game because it's the first Blizzard product that sucks, and it sucks terribly.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 27, 2014, 21:04 shihonage

Don't bother with the article, it answers nothing.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 24, 2014, 23:22 shihonage

They spent too much time on pixel lighting and other superficialities. When it comes to actual game mechanics, dialogue and C&C handling, they will stumble and implode.  

News Comments > Firefall Launches
12. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:33 shihonage

I can't play this game because it requires I prioritize UDP traffic on port range 32000-65535.

Given how by default my traffic is Bulk, and is selectively elevated for each game, I cannot just give high priority to 33535 freaking ports.

Terrible and pointless coding decision on their part.

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
21. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 19:22 shihonage

This announcement makes it clear as day that the "demo" shown was just another Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Now they will haul ass to try and make the actual game resemble the video in some form.

This project, one could say, is doomed.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Z
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 19:10 shihonage

STAY AWAY. This is a weak-ass rewrite. You're better off using GOG version or whatever. At least with emulators you get options on screen resolution and scaling. Nothing of the kind is present here.  

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Incoming
28. Re: Titanfall Patch Incoming Jun 27, 2014, 05:52 shihonage

This game is not even 1/10th as good or complex as Quake Wars. And Quake Wars had both elements of Tribes AND actual Titans from Titanfall!

Plus a ton more. And it still looks great. It didn't deserve to die.

News Comments > Serious Sam 2 Replaces GameSpy with Steamworks
12. Re: Serious Sam 2 Replaces GameSpy with Steamworks Jun 15, 2014, 06:08 shihonage

I ran this game only to discover there's no mouse inversion option.

Thus, a waste of $2.50.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
19. Re: Evening Interviews May 4, 2014, 00:17 shihonage

Mad Max RW wrote on May 3, 2014, 21:18:
You must be one of the newer people at the codex because Fallout Tactics was HATED by the community. Canon rape aside it's far from a "superb game".

I said "superb game in its own genre", which is the same genre as Jagged Alliance, rather than Fallout. It wasn't a Fallout game but a spinoff, and as an RPG it failed miserably... because it was more of a turn-based strategy game with stats.

Kinda like Wasteland 2.

But better-looking and deeper.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
18. Re: Evening Interviews May 4, 2014, 00:13 shihonage

TheEmissary wrote on May 3, 2014, 18:30:
The "Lulzy Scifi" as you put it was always there in Wasteland and Fallout. Just go back and look at some of the npcs for the original game or enemy types they had. Those games were products of the time and filled with pop-culture references. Too bad you can't really see that.

Incorrect.

While Fallout 1 had humor, it was still a cohesive world.

While Fallout 1 had pop culture references, it was explicitly designed with the rule instituted by Tim Cain, where each reference must be completely obscured from people not familiar with what is being referenced.

What happened later, was this type of thinking: "hey guys, Fallout had an easter egg that was a UFO, so let's just start making UFO DLCs and shit".

It's the same kind of intellectual fallacy as making a "Rambo The Librarian" sequel because at some point in a Rambo movies he's portrayed reading a book.

I am sure the "IF/Then" is just pseudo-shorthand for a quick explaination of how the quest system at a high level might work in the sense some actions have reactions or consequences. I don't think he was being literal as this can be implemented several different ways in the actual code.

This simplistic approach is evident in the depth and nature of C&C actually present in Wasteland 2, as well as in the way Fargo was hyping it up as having C&C up the wazoo, without realizing just how few games got it right, and how difficult it truly is.

The point is, he's not technologically proficient, and this project does not have the middle managers he requires to govern efficiently. Being made by a tiny company, it requires too much hands-on creativity and technical prowess from Fargo himself, which is like getting water out of stone.

That's why the game is filled with one retarded-obvious-in-your-face-C&C quest after another.

253 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo