Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 384 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Plans
11. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Plans Jun 28, 2015, 03:25 shihonage

What's sad is that Left4Dead solved these problems in what, 2008? It's not like they require big budgets to solve - just programming.

If you don't have the budget for fence climbing animations - don't make levels in a way where zeds are forced to climb fences. Idjots.

theglaze wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 03:06:
XP resets are also in the Early Access

As for the teleportation, I agree that it needs to be removed or significantly revamped.

Personally, I find the clunky movement of zeds over objects to be more annoying as they've instantly rise and fall over fences and what not with no climbing action, and ruining any lined up shot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Plans
9. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Plans Jun 28, 2015, 00:27 shihonage

Until they remove zed teleporting, which negates all the strategy... the game is useless junk.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 27, 2015, 02:47 shihonage

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 00:46:
I don't know what kind of age limits there are on holding a seat in the FCC (if any), but maybe we could start by changing the age requirements for the United States Presidency from minimum 35 to minimum 21, maximum 45. We could do similarly with other branches and positions.

That would help bring government around to more accurately representing the future rather than the past. Get all these old, clueless fucks that time left behind the fuck out of positions of power.

21 year old President... oh dear... well I guess he/she would still be smarter than Obama.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
22. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 02:52 shihonage

Did you doubt it as well when Valve rewrote most of Carmack's Quake codebase while making Half-Life?

'cause dem software developers, yeah...

Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 02:49:
shihonage wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 01:40:
In the face of evidence contradicting to your viewpoint, attack the source.

Yawn-zies.

I said it was a good article. They definitely worked on and changed a bunch of stuff. But as a software developer, the rewrote every part bit is funny to me.

20. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 01:40 shihonage

In the face of evidence contradicting to your viewpoint, attack the source.

Yawn-zies.

18. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 16:25 shihonage

It's pretty clear from the article that they ended up rewriting every part of the engine in a major way, and the implications toward networking being ignored from this process are nonsense.

You have a lot of theory clouding your mind, while Titanfall in reality IS more responsive than TF2, and Dirty Bomb's netcode IS better than netcode of another recent UE game like Tribes. It can be felt.

Tribes DOES suffer from a lot of networking nonsense, and its netcode is RIDDLED with exploitable bugs, inconsistent performance on different machines, etc etc. But that's just Hi-Rez. Hi-Rez couldn't even make bullets draw at ping-aligned distances, hackers had to fix that for them.

descender wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 10:02:
That article is from like 2 days after release, back when they were still lying through their teeth about their "cloud processing" and some other features that we now know were not actually implemented in any meaningful way to Titanfall.

in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there

That is exactly how much I am willing to believe they improved the "latency" in source, "a frame". They are not actually talking about networking latency there anyway. I believe they attempted to improve "input latency" since they were artificially locking themselves in to using triple-buffering, but actually altering the netcode? No way. Nothing specific mentioned and nothing else they claimed about the games revamped technology really turned out to be relevant in action.

I think there is more of a confusion of terms here than anything else. "Latency" has many factors, not limited to but including the netcode. The netcode controls hit-detection, and hit-detection works WAY better in source than most other engines (frostbite being the main competitor). So... maybe that's what I should have actually said. Frostbite does server based hit-detection, which is why you can get shot after you've already safely reached cover. This never happens in a source game.

Yes, I understand Frostbite has more to keep track of but no, I don't think that excuses them from trying to track more things than they can actually handle because they are basically using full server-side hit detection (like planetside2 did) and that is the worst™. IMO there is nothing more frustrating in MP FPS than the server telling you something different than what you see on your screen.

EDIT: Dirty Bomb runs on the Unreal engine, which has the worst possible netcode and latency issues of the 3 main options. I do appreciate the article though, it was an interesting read. Thank you.

15. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 22:31 shihonage

Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:52:
shihonage wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:35:
Titanfall actually had to rewrite Source networking stack to make fast-paced multiplayer work.

This interests me greatly... but doing some quick googling has returned nothing.
Do you happen to know where you learned this from?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-tech-interview

"Client-side, Respawn has based Titanfall on the Source engine, but it has effectively been re-built from the ground up. In our last Respawn interview, producer Drew McCoy said that "I hate to say that it's the Source Engine" because so much had changed. From our experience with the beta, we saw a piece of technology significantly transformed. Source was never particularly well-threaded, and there was no DirectX 11 support. More than that, the tech simply wasn't built for the kind of ultra-low latency feedback that the erstwhile Infinity Ward team members demand from a satisfying shooter."

"A lot of the work was making the engine multi-threaded. The original Source engine had a main thread that built up a command buffer for the render thread and there was a frame of delay. We kind of changed that so the render thread buffered commands as soon as they were issued - in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there. And then almost every system has been made multi-threaded at this point. The networking is multi-threaded, the particle simulation is multi-threaded. The animation is multi-threaded - I could go on forever. The culling, the gathering of objects we're going to render is multi-threaded. It's across as many cores as you have."

12. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 16:35 shihonage

descender wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 10:28:
laggy and imprecise like TF2
not suitable for fast-paced gameplay

You must play games on some other planet. Source has the most consistent and solid netcode in the business.

I really don't understand that comment at all lol... Frostbite has the most horrible netcode (shoot 3 feet behind your enemy to continue) in existence and I don't know what other "fast paced" multiplayer FPS engine you could be referring to. UE3 didn't even attempt lag compensation.

On topic: Dirty bomb looks to be about as generic as it could be. Both games are pretty blatant TF2 rip-offs, and neither of them are going to be very successful.

Quake Wars, my friend. Quake Wars had amazing netcode.

Titanfall actually had to rewrite Source networking stack to make fast-paced multiplayer work.

TF2 always handled about as precise as WoW combat to me. Overwatch looks similar.

It's been a while since I bothered with TF2, but did it really have objective-based gameplay?

Is objective-based gameplay considered "generic"? Are there more objective-based competitive FPS out there that are solidly built, of which I am unaware?

Dirty Bomb's level design is created from years of experience, so are the abilities of characters, many of which are taken from Quake Wars.

UE has pretty bad netcode by default (as evidenced by Tribes), but then again, HiRez is a half-assed company, and Splash Damage clearly went through a lot of effort to make the netcode work.

They lack cheat protection at the moment, which is unfortunate, but the netcode has quite a good "feel".

10. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 07:27 shihonage

Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 07:03:
Overwatch looks a lot more interesting than this. More interesting weapons, more interesting abilities, more interesting traversal.

Replace "interesting" with "wacky" for increased truth factor.

Overwatch looks like an overdesigned gimmick which is gonna handle laggy and imprecise like TF2, because both Source engine and Blizzard's next-gen MMO engine are not suitable for fast-paced gameplay.

8. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 19, 2015, 16:22 shihonage

Tribes: Ascend is dead and full of hax. I say this as a former level 50.

Dirty Bomb is the only contender on the market, and they were created by makers of Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, my favorite online FPS of all time.

It is unfortunate that Quake Wars, 8 years ago, had far better visuals, and 3x the depth and content of Dirty Bomb, but beggars can't be choosers.

I hope Splash Damage succeeds with this title, because they know how to make this sort of game. Their cards system is a clusterfuck, but once you get past it, they have a real game underneath.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 17, 2015, 05:33 shihonage

AmaZoo  

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
23. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 21:37 shihonage

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 21:32:
shihonage wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 21:22:
Techie714 © wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 13:48:
Sorry, but no matter how much you dislike the business practices of Bethesda (Zenimax) you have to give them credit for delivering some seriously rock solid games that most of us have spent HUNDREDS of hours in. I know I'll be spending at least 100+ hours in F4 & Dishonored was an OUTSTANDING game. Really looking forward to tonight's stream!

Well, that's because you haven't played enough games. When that point hits when you see The Matrix and all games just become blonde, brunette, redhead... you will want something new. Something more.

Something that is not a lifeless, poorly written, creatively bankrupt grind agonized into existence by bleary-eyed programmers whipped into a schedule by corporate management.

When that happens, call me, I'll fly out on my jetpack, we'll hang out.

You might be the only person in existence to accuse Dishonored of being lifeless, poorly written and creatively bankrupt.

It is less so than Bethesda's take on Fallout, but yes. A world that never comes into its own, gray visuals, stilted writing. Everyone's waiting for the sequel to "really show the world of Dishonored" but chances are, it will be more of the same.

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
21. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 21:22 shihonage

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 13:48:
Sorry, but no matter how much you dislike the business practices of Bethesda (Zenimax) you have to give them credit for delivering some seriously rock solid games that most of us have spent HUNDREDS of hours in. I know I'll be spending at least 100+ hours in F4 & Dishonored was an OUTSTANDING game. Really looking forward to tonight's stream!

Well, that's because you haven't played enough games. When that point hits when you see The Matrix and all games just become blonde, brunette, redhead... you will want something new. Something more.

Something that is not a lifeless, poorly written, creatively bankrupt grind agonized into existence by bleary-eyed programmers whipped into a schedule by corporate management.

When that happens, call me, I'll fly out on my jetpack, we'll hang out.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 13, 2015, 00:40 shihonage

Chris Averrated  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
6. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 11, 2015, 18:35 shihonage

Dirty Bomb starter pack 25% off. 23 bux not bad for the loadouts. This is the closest we'll get to Quake Wars or Wolf:ET...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 11, 2015, 16:19 shihonage

Google got design? Did I miss something and Google+ interface became understandable and intuitive overnight?  

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
51. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 19:56 shihonage

Vio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:41:
shihonage wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:34:
They just need to limit it to games that cost $30 and up, which are mostly non-indie titles.
There is no reason to place limits on refunds unless a company/indie is going to produce a piece of crap that no one wants to keep, and sucker them into buying via marketing.

The simple fact is this: everyone who got the refund didn't think the game was worth the purchase price.

Think about what an early access game REALLY sells. It sells a small piece of content, usually, and the rest of your money is invested into future patches which expand this content.

Thus, early access games are prime targets for being exploited by this return policy.

50. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 19:52 shihonage

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 16:47:
Just out of curiosity: did you know less than 2 hours into FO3 that you wanted a refund? (I assume you did with A:CM)

Yes. In both cases. In Fallout 3, I understood everything I needed to know very shortly after leaving the Vault. Quit and never touched it again. Later the horror of it all was confirmed by looking at people's LP threads of this "game".

41. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 15:34 shihonage

As someone who hopes to put an early-access indie title on Steam at some point... I believe return policy is almost there. They just need to limit it to games that cost $30 and up, which are mostly non-indie titles.

My biggest buying regrets were Aliens: Colonial Marines and Fallout 3, both made by big companies, both over $30.

This policy change might also encourage lower pricing of games? There's probably an unforeseen side-effect to this, but I don't see it just yet.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
113. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 17:25 shihonage

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:27:
Fallout used branched story paths that closed and opened new branches as you went - just like Wasteland 2. Some variations were introduced with skill checks that relied on percentages instead of hard locks. Some variations were introduced with light simulation elements (explosives can open doors, etc.).

This kind of oversimplification is why we can't have nice things

Fallout games and Wasteland 2 provided a very different experience, in terms of freedom as well as everything else.

384 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo