Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 286 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 11, 2014, 00:31 shihonage

Mad Max: The 300 Edition

Honestly looks like ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
96. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 10, 2014, 06:08 shihonage

This game will be ruined by hacks and abandoned by all sane online players who don't like to be instagibbed.

The hacks will also affect the world of always-online single-player. You won't get instagibbed, but there will be weird pricing/availability fluctuations and whatnot.

Within 3 months the game will be cracked to have real single-player, because it is neither a thin client, nor a particularly secure one.

In the end, pirates will have the one good version of the game.

Again.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2014, 22:23 shihonage

jimnms wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 22:15:
I agree with you about Skyrim being shallow, but disagree somewhat about its reactivity to you. It's not like they have the internet and camera phones where people can get instant updates on what's going on in the world. They have books, so I'm sure they probably have some form of news papers. How is some random citizen supposed to know you are the dragon born and all of your epic deeds? Then there are times when people know about things I did when they shouldn't.

Even allowing for that... the RPGs of the 90s were more reactive to everything about you.

Now we spend hours creating the perfect looking FACE for our character because the stats themselves are almost meaningless. Of course, so is the damn face.

You're not gonna have someone call you a Chinaman because you created Asian facial features... the programmers and designers don't care about reactivity or immersion past the threshold of luring in 12-year-olds.

The idea used to be - look at these amazing computer machines! They can allow us to implement the dream of interactive worlds which function just like P&P RPGs minus all the time-wasting calculations, and portray the events with real graphics!

The idea became - look at these amazing consoles, attached to your entertainment centers. They can allow us to create Hollywood spectacle with an occasional illusion of meaningful player input! It's what the plants crave!(tm)

The former was a challenge to evolve the gaming industry and create miracles. The latter is a corporate directive.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2014, 05:05 shihonage

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 04:48:
The lack of reactivity is what makes me really sour about Open World games nowdays as well Farcry 2/3/4 are all the same game... Dragon Age Inquisition also has this problem, and is nearly like a slightly more focused Skyrim in that regard... at least some stuff really does happen in the world. But reactivity... the army that is supposed to ravage the lands is always nothing but a phantom and nobody really cares about it until it stands right in front of your door, quite literally, twice even.

And don't even get me started on Assassins Creed , Watchdogs and Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor. All 3 are the same games essentially. Mixed up with a slight bit of dynamic, but ZERO reactivity. Even the much touted nemesis system is nothing but bullshit and really adds nothing to the game reactivity at all....

Even stuff like GTA lacks any real DEPTH to it's world.

When you think about it a lot of games really had very low world reactivity. Even good stuff like Torment, Baldurs Gate and such had great story and writing but world reactivity? You could kill certain people and other people might care, but it was all pretty shallow...

Yep. If you read say, this:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nearly_Ultimate_Fallout_Guide

... it will make you shed a tear - after you notice just how much subtle reactivity is in the world of Fallout 1. It reacts to your stats and choices, sometimes intermixing the two.

Rescuing Tandi from the Raiders? Well, you can start a fight. You can attempt to outsmart them and join them, however they will force you to kill all female prisoners, and if you fail to get all of them before they escape, the Raiders will attack you.

Oh, and you have high INT, you can convince their leader that you're his father.

And there's this kind of scripting all over the damn gameworld. When was the last time a Bethesda designer managed to do something like that?

Fallout was one of the last progressive steps toward creating a computer analog of P&P experience. You'd walk down a corridor and your high PER would let you know of a stimpak in a nearby locker. You can even wait out a night and go right back into Vault 13 without leaving the cave.

I'm working on a game influenced by Fallout's ideas. It's my struggle against the dying of the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVeZr-xQIj4

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2014, 04:41 shihonage

No really, Skyrim is ankle-deep. You can finish the game, go around talk to NPCs, and they'll treat you like nothing happened. There are far too few choice&consequence checks, and the world isn't really reactive in any meaningful way.

Bethesda doesn't know how to do any better. Fallout 3's world reactivity was a pale shadow of Fallout 1 and 2. It too was an ankle-deep game, using the same engine no less.

We live in an age where publishes combine genres to appease everyone. That's how you get clumsy realtime first-person combat in your RPGs (Skyrim) and have to skin boars to get a second weapon slot in your FPSs (Far Cry).

That's why Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs are essentially the same game.

IQs dropped sharply enough in the past decade for people to stop distinguishing between a world which reacts to player agency, and a mere walking simulator.

For the most part, what we have today is walking simulators, all merging into this omni-genre of mass consumption. They're no longer games, but spreadsheets in 3D clothing, stamped out one after another off a conveyor belt.

All of them about "epic" bombastic adventures, where you stumble upon hundreds of programmer-written, autistic NPCs who drone on about garrisons, defenses and politics in a manner that makes The Phantom Menace look well-written.

The dream of translating pen&paper reactive worlds into computer form has died a long time ago. Now the big publishers only make extroverts' games. All flash, all nauseatingly "epic", taking place in railroaded and dead worlds.

Dark have been my dreams of late.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2014, 03:29 shihonage

Skyrim is like GTA5, Far Cry 2-4, Dragon Age: Inquisition - an ocean, ankle-deep.

Sandbox RPG is the most boring type of game one can imagine, for it offers no actual freedom to player's actions. That would be hard. Instead, it lets you choose the order in which you kill things, and the locations where you kill them.

In other words, sandbox RPGs offer you a thousand different ways to get bored.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
31. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 06:48 shihonage

I called Spore what it was before it came out, and everyone was on my ass. Funny how people woke up to this sort of shit now.

Yes, this is Spore 2: Deep Space. Unlike Spore, I don't believe it will actually be released.

24. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2014, 02:46 shihonage

The trailer makes it obvious that Arnold is a man in the future who was used for T-800 prototype. He has a robotic arm due to a war injury.

Due to [PLOT DEVICE] he went back to the past to become Sarah's adopted parent.

By the time she grew up, he is old. Then the T-800 comes for her, and he has to fight him. Then the T-1000 also comes for her, and uh... Kyle Reese... doesn't know... time changed... Sarah saves Reese...

... which is all going to be a fabulously convoluted mess by the creators of THOR: THE DARK WORLD and ALEXANDER. It will make no goddamn sense and in the end Arnold will sacrifice himself by jumping down from a helicopter somewhere and possibly exploding.

News Comments > I am Bread Early Access
8. Re: I am Bread Early Access Dec 4, 2014, 04:18 shihonage

They should license Garbage's "I Am Milk" and make some kind of romance option for Bioware audience.  

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
44. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 17:03 shihonage

The petition to stop Diablo3 from looking like Disneyland gained over 60k signatures, and those smarmy fuckers did nothing.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming
12. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming Dec 1, 2014, 19:15 shihonage

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 18:00:
I would have said the exact same thing you said at the end of your comment if you were an official reviewer and wrote that shit. In my opinion, Ghost was the worst fucking CoD out there. Not a second did I feel like a Ghost member on did the game give the Ghosts a sense of the reputation they were credited in the introduction movie. That game was bland shit. AW was a good change of pace and personally I have nl fucking clue what you mean with the enemy placement/spotting complaint. Dunno, maybe you need a stronger pair of glasses?

I don't give a crap about feeling like a "Ghost member". What I do care about is gameplay and immersion, and AW failed at that spectacularly from the very start, while Ghost starts off with a tense space station takeover sequence.

There are two mindsets when it comes to creating a COD-style campaign.

Mindset #1: Create a competent-looking level, plonk some enemies and scripted sequences at certain intervals, throw in some bombastic music, and you're done.

Mindset #2: Humble yourself and realize that even scripted campaign design requires thought and skill. The timing of scripted events, making sure the player doesn't feel boxed in all the time, proper enemy placement, difficulty curve management, pacing, decent writing - they all matter.

Mindset #1 has been employed in most of these games, with Battlefield 3/4 being the worst. COD4, Medal Of Honor (PC) and Ghosts employ Mindset #2.

To make another parallel, Mindset #2 was employed with Diablo2 while making a Diablo sequel (roguelike with more freedom, more randomness, more content), and Mindset #1 was employed with Diablo3 while making a skinner box for retards, devoid of player agency, replayability, and generally suffocative.

That's the difference between something made with care, and something made from a step-by-step manual - like the Woody Allen movies. Real food vs. dog food.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2014, 19:31.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming
6. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming Dec 1, 2014, 16:50 shihonage

It's a new engine only in the sense that Skyrim used a new engine. In other news, old engine with a sloppy coat of new paint.

I only care about campaigns in these games, because their MP experiences are shallow, twitchy imitations of better, deeper games.

With that in mind, I just wasted money on AW after reading all the positive reviews about its campaign. Then I acquired Ghosts, which was universally panned, and immediately its campaign is beating the AW campaign like a redheaded stepchild.

AW's levels have no rhyme or reason. It's just environments with enemies plonked in randomly - enemies you can't often even see. The suits provide no protection against bullets, and enemy placement is FUBAR, so the gameplay reduces you to a sitting, cowering duck playing popamole.

Ghosts, on the other hand, has the proper pacing, level design, and just plain superior writing. It can make you care, and it can make you feel like a badass. And, amazingly, their levels, with older version of the engine, look fucking BETTER. This is the better COD that I remember from COD4 days.

Never trusting reviewers again.

News Comments > Dead or Alive 5 Last Round for PC Revealed?
11. Re: Dead or Alive 5 Last Round for PC Revealed? Nov 26, 2014, 07:36 shihonage

I loved this game on Dreamcast because of the cool counter system, and my favorite character was the old guy who does internal martial arts.

He's the best. Around. Nobody can keep him down.

Ok, he's far from the most effective, but that's what makes him interesting.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 26, 2014, 04:20 shihonage

I'm still waiting until we go past the "cigarettes cause no harm" stage in regards to cell towers.  

3. Re: Into the Black Nov 25, 2014, 20:08 shihonage

Gonna be worse than the original, including visuals-wise.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 25, 2014, 00:34 shihonage

I got a free 2mb memory card for Matrox Mystique for defending it furiously on newsgroups.

Also it was thanks to my idea that Tomb Raider accelerated for Mystique actually came out for default 2mb version without requiring an addon card.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 21, 2014, 18:40 shihonage

This is becoming a clusterfuck :mjpopcorn.gif:  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
35. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 19, 2014, 06:18 shihonage

After buying Blood Dragon and dealing with Ubisoft's DRM, and then realizing that pirates got a superior experience than paying customers... I decided not to buy any more of their games.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 13, 2014, 03:37 shihonage

Liberalism was not always a mental disorder. Old-school liberals provided a much needed balance,a humane counter to worker abuse, greedy corporations, and to bible-thumping cults. Sexual liberation, and all that.

That time is long over. Modern liberals are Statists who have been defending a totalitarian President. Demagogues who prey on emotion and race to sway low-information voter.

The country has finally woken up. Thus, their asses have been kicked during the 2014 elections, and in 2016 elections, the other shoe is going to drop.

Modern conservatism is not about bible thumping. It's become about fact and reason, the ability to do math and act rationally in the interests of this country and its allies in the world. A candidate that stops dropping Jesus into every sentence, and shows themselves to be resolute, informed, sober, experienced, and optimistic, is going to win.

We're going to have a conservative President. And one day, your children will be thankful for this.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 12, 2014, 23:47 shihonage

Bleh.

The solution is to force monopolies to lease their lines to smaller ISPs to give them a struggling chance.

Making Internet into a public utility can backfire with even lower quality of service than we have now.

Quality of service rises and prices fall only due to competition, and such competition needs to be tended to.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2014, 23:52.

286 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo