Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 430 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Bonus Weekend
3. Re: World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Bonus Weekend Jul 31, 2015, 23:09 shihonage

bores of borenor  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ZOMBI Announced
8. Re: ZOMBI Announced Jul 31, 2015, 02:03 shihonage

ZOMBI on ZX Spectrum was one of the scariest games I've played in the early 90s.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
58. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 23:56 shihonage

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 23:47:
I never refuted that gameplay system innovation has pretty much stopped. There's still some things that are better than in the past, but they're mostly cosmetic. Thing is, open world games are the best we can get nowadays, so I support them. At some point console gamers will become more experienced and we'll finally be able to push games evolution again.

Modern open-world games are not any sort of apex of evolutionary design. They're just another genre, no more, no less. And as I said, they usually fail at being "open-world" in any meaningful sense.

56. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 18:42 shihonage

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 17:27:
I have no idea what you are talking about now... If you don't like specific locations, try Daggerfall. In my top 3 games of all time. The entire world was randomly created. Quests are generated randomly and given to random npcs. It's pretty crazy. A bit buggy though :p

Way to shift the goalposts. There are plenty of games in the past that are more evolved than games in the present. I am talking about present games, and made specific examples of present games, in the context of Fallout 4 discussion.

Daggerfall didn't exactly hold up well enough to be played today. In its own way, it tried to innovate, however. That innovation should've been taken much further over the decades that followed, instead of being forgotten and forsaken in favor of Ass Effects of today.

54. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 17:14 shihonage

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 08:39:
Well the other game genres are even MORE guilty of that. Open world games are the richest type of games we have at the moment. So, if you're going to give up on open world games, might as well give up on everything.

Not really, they're just as locked as the rest. Changing your location on the map isn't the same as changing the gameworld.

You can go anywhere in GTA or Far Cry or Watchdogs or Assassin's Creed... but it's pointless because eventually you'll have to go to point B, point C, point D on the map, all predefined, and complete the plot-sequences in specific order to see your precious cutscenes and "progress".

The walking simulation aspect is just that. There isn't even any "simulation" asides from being able to kill random people or drive random cars.

51. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 29, 2015, 04:36 shihonage

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 19:43:
I feel that, maybe not that strongly. It is why I hope VR can give us a nice change up. Indies is probably where most innovation is at today.

I don't agree with Walking Simulator.

VR is just a change in rendering and UI. It will call for new gameplay mechanics eventually, but none of significance.

You'll still be playing Skyrim 2: VR Edition and talking to an indestructible NPC who addresses you like some schmuck despite you being ultra-powerful, and 2 out of your 3 dialogue choices will have the same outcome...

You'll be playing Fallout 5, where Liam Neeson will once again play your dad, and once again when your dad asks you to find him some item or someshit, if you say "Not now", the game will simply stop until you actually agree.

The real work is in advancing the reactivity of virtual worlds. And, if a game isn't supposed to be particularly reactive, then the real work is in developing the art and science of writing game worlds and dialogue in a manner which matches a good TV show in quality.

Visuals driving immersion has been a dead end for 9 years now. People keep saying "imagine if stuff looked better than it does now"... well, stuff looked great for a long freaking time already.

It's not about how stuff looks, it's not about stuff looking shiny in 360-degree view angle, it's about meaningful interaction and player involvement.

Innovation, new game genres, wouldn't hurt either. At all. Wouldn't hurt at all, really.

News Comments > Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed
23. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 29, 2015, 03:35 shihonage

InBlack wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 02:30:
Fuck Diablo3. They took everything that was good about Diablo2, threw it away, copied shit from WoW, introduced butterfly witches and retarded archangels named 'Imperius', added some more WoW shit, then excreted it out for our gaming pleasure. D3 is seriously Blizzard's worst fail ever. No ammount of fixing will get it anywhere near the quality of even Path of Exile let alone Diablo2:LOD...

I like you.

19. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 28, 2015, 23:31 shihonage

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 21:57:
But for me, the biggest thing is that combat's really fun since it's WASD movement with mouse-aim and you can infinitely dodge roll and jump. Combining that with switching in and out of two weapons makes combat a lot of fun and it feels a lot more active and engaging than using a mouse cursor to move AND attack while pressing the number keys once in a while ala. D3 and PoE.

Sounds like fun if it had co-op. (looks at Steam page) Wait... it has co-op??!?

10. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 28, 2015, 20:08 shihonage

"This is a the best time ever for Diablo genre fans!"

Oh yeah? Will 2.3.0 patch make the levels more random and less claustrophobic? Bring back usefulness to visits to town/downtime? Resurrect Deckard Cain? Allow custom attribute setting? Resurrect town portals? Remove the mandatory story exposition yapping? Remove the blur filters which obscure the game's detail? Bring back skill trees? Remove stupid shit like a melee item (without special modifiers) dictating mage's spell power?

Ugh.

8. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 28, 2015, 20:00 shihonage

You're gonna laugh, but the only game remotely like this that I sometimes play is WoW circa 2006. It's the build of WoW that preceded the beginning of the game's decline, and there's a well-populated and fully emulated server...

You know, back when we still had skill trees and the game wasn't completely dumbed down to lowest common denominator. It also was more aesthetically consistent... right now WoW is a bizarre mix of old and new models.

I guess this isn't entirely legal, but WoW has changed so much, that version kinda falls into abandonware category. I wasted way too much money on WoW to feel guilty about spending 20 mins per week blasting some orcs in Redridge.

43. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 17:52 shihonage

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 17:47:
At that point it's time to go outside.

Or is that considered another "walking simulator"?

No, actually I walk outside a lot, and practically don't play games anymore because they're just all dry-runnable and have no engaging writing to compensate for same old gameplay.

I just remember it so vividly, the beginning - where games were struggling with the hardware, ingenuity was afoot, new genres were being invented...

Then we just... ran out of genres? That's really stupid, in such an amazing, infinitely potent medium.

I'm not fed up with games. I am fed up with stagnation.

41. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 17:36 shihonage

I have zero interest in the walking simulator genre, whether it's Far Cry, GTA, Batman, or new Fallouts.

There comes a time when you start seeing these games in Matrix-vision, as spheres and cubes traversing above a checkered grid, with mountains of data rising and falling at the horizon.

The magic is gone, everyone is making games from the same limited templates, using the same abstractions. The walls and limitations of every game are absolutely the same.

These are not even true sandbox games, however limited sandbox games are. You can't have a herd of elephants chase you into the hut where an IMPORTANT NPC has a CINEMATIC SPEECH, and send them running in mid-sentence... no... the important cinematic sequence will always be walled-off into a bubble.

Garbage, all.

News Comments > StarCraft II Turns Five
9. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 28, 2015, 07:02 shihonage

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 06:59:
Blizzard totally mixed up their shit in regards to Starcraft and Diablo. In Starcraft they should of really gone the evolutionary route, not almost a copy and paste with a few different units and barely upgraded graphics. In Diablo3 i would of preferred if it remained closer to Diablo2 as Sc2 did with Sc1. Both were huge disappointments to me and that really sucks to say as SC1 and D2 were some of my favorite games of all time.

Starcraft did right by Starcraft. It did remove a lot of SC UI limitations, even if we take them for granted now.

D3 is just so full of wrong, the cheerful color palette is #50 complaint on my list at this point. The game doesn't PLAY well... never will. Unfixable, moronic design by that monkey Jay Wilson.

News Comments > StarCraft II Turns Five
7. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 28, 2015, 05:37 shihonage

SC2 was authentic to Starcraft formula. Campaign was fun.

However as an average player I felt no desire to be humiliated a billion times in competitive games.

And the Zerg expansion... I don't like controlling units that look disgusting. Still waiting for Protoss campaign...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 28, 2015, 04:05 shihonage

Julio wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 18:54:
If Microsoft could get their updates to stop bricking PCs, then I would be more likely to let them install them right away.

And you would still be a fool to let any company get away with this. Infallibility doesn't exist. System-pooping updates are always going to happen, and taking control from users is an act of tyranny.

Google Chrome recently started forcing its updates despite any and all workarounds, policy edits, etc. Of course Google's QA has always been shit, so it creates as many problems as it fixes.

Upon learning that, I nuked it. Don't need viruses on my machine.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
30. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 27, 2015, 07:23 shihonage

InBlack wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 07:15:
shihonage wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 07:08:
Good, now I don't have to post this. This new Doom looks like it will fail to capture Doom gameplay just as the countless knockoffs did over the years.

Serious Sam series is a prime example of how nobody understands the ingredients which made Doom a classic series.

And you base these assumptions on what exactly? That it will feature fast paced gameplay??? On the 15 minutes of gameplay video we've seen that featured what I assume to be the first level and a part of a level in hell?? (That were IMO rather simple, but still pretty awesome) I agree that Doom 1 & 2 featured some never before and since seen level design, and I really doubt that this sequel will reach those heights but why automatically assume that it will have Serious Sam Arena levels?

I base these assumptions on the fact that id software resembles nothing of its former self, the fact that polygon count race once again prevents them from having crowds of enemies, the fact that game's movement speed is sedated and it's full of retarded design decisions like the monochrome visuals, Mortal Kombat fatalities, and Borderlands-type garbage falling out of enemy corpses...

etc etc.

I predicted Spore was going to be garbage before it came out. Didn't take a genius, just understanding of what I was seeing.

Most games today are so soulless, they all blend together, and I see them with Matrix-vision, just spheres and cubes traversing along checkered landscapes, arrays of data rising and falling...

It may be a drab, jaded vision, but it certainly helps me see through all the bullshit.

On a rare occasion I will see game as a world, and the magic will be breathed back into it, but most games unfortunately are just stamped-out templates and remixes of the same old, with this "Doom" title being exactly that.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
28. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 27, 2015, 07:08 shihonage

Gruntstein wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 23:13:
Doom wasn't solely about speed. It was also about methodically exploring your way through levels that often had branching paths. You could run into a room guns blazing, but you could also find cover and pick off enemies as they approached your position. Fighting your way through a typical Doom level was a very dynamic experience. This is why Serious Sam didn't really capture the feeling of Doom and why this game will probably feel more like Serious Sam than Doom.

Doom wasn't an arena. It was a maze.

Good, now I don't have to post this. This new Doom looks like it will fail to capture Doom gameplay just as the countless knockoffs did over the years.

Serious Sam series is a prime example of how nobody understands the ingredients which made Doom a classic series.

News Comments > Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom
5. Re: Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom Jul 24, 2015, 20:34 shihonage

Overon wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 18:06:
shihonage wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 15:30:
Even if it was Tribes 2, their netcode in the first remake was so horrible, the game was a competition of exploits. I say this as a level 50 player.
Tribes 2? Son, let me tell you about Tribes 2. Tribes 2 came out in 2001. You mean Tribes Ascend 2. No way is that coming out ever.

I said "remake".

News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
16. Re: Bombshell Trailer Jul 24, 2015, 20:24 shihonage

After 1 minute, when NPC started talking, I got strong Hellgate: London vibe. Also known as a "catastrophic failure" vibe.

Except they probably outsourced this to some people in India who used Unity to slap it together from generic assets in a month.

News Comments > Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom
2. Re: Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom Jul 24, 2015, 15:30 shihonage

Even if it was Tribes 2, their netcode in the first remake was so horrible, the game was a competition of exploits. I say this as a level 50 player.  

430 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo