Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shihonage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 349 (Amateur)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 06:54 shihonage

I don't know. Terrible engine? Terrible UI? Terrible writing, with dialogue obviously written by programmers, in a way that no living thing ever speaks?

Terrible world design? Terrible combat? Terrible story? Lack of non-linearity? Nuclear exploding cars? People in the middle of nuclear detonation instantly becoming ghosts? Non-reactive, non-consequential player stats? (unlike FO:NV)

Long, unskippable vault sequence?

Horrific animations and models? Loading screens upon entering every tiny hut? Trash items everywhere?

Graphics piss-filter?

Retardation in every possible crevice of this terrible product?

This just off the top of my head. There's more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 05:26 shihonage

I want my fucking money back. This is the one game where I feel very strongly about that.

Well that and Fallout 3.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 30, 2015, 01:36 shihonage

Blaming Russians is en vogue these days. King Obama set a trend.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 29, 2015, 06:15 shihonage

Impressive aim, he knew exactly what he was doing. Probably due to experience.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches May 26, 2015, 18:08 shihonage

Not playing KF2 until they stop monsters from blatantly teleporting behind your back. Not only does the player move like a turtle, they STILL can't make this mechanic work gracefully, while L4D solved this 7 years ago.  

News Comments > Evolve Free Update Adds Arena Mode
2. Re: Evolve Free Update Adds Arena Mode May 26, 2015, 18:06 shihonage

"For those not up on your math, thatís 70 locked-down venues, ready for brawling."

Somehow the arrogance even seeps into the patch notes.

News Comments > Free Content Coming to Gauntlet
3. Re: Free Content Coming to Gauntlet May 25, 2015, 16:12 shihonage

Is this the patch that makes it fun?  

News Comments > Desura Explains Missed Payments
10. Re: Desura Explains Missed Payments May 22, 2015, 17:19 shihonage

On Desura, you can just PUBLISH, and let the rest sort itself out.

On Steam, you first have to get through Greenlight, which is a huge obstacle and has been critically deemed a failed concept.

Desura is a very nice launching pad and preparation for "bigger leagues" like Steam. It's much MORE indie-friendly than Steam ever was, and also the publishing process is easier.

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns Seven
2. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 17:29 shihonage

This game was dead 3 months from release... this is some sort of necromancy.  

News Comments > 25,000 H1Z1 Bans
20. Re: 25,000 H1Z1 Bans May 20, 2015, 16:11 shihonage

StaTik wrote on May 20, 2015, 10:54:
You can't "fix" cheating. There will always be someone hacking in to the code on these games and making profit from it. Cheating is not a bug to be fixed, it's a choice. If you choose to rob a store you get put in jail, if you choose to cheat in a online game you get banned. That's they way it should be. You rob me of my hard earned money by taking away my enjoyment of my game so they should take your money by kicking your ass to the curb.
I would rather see new features in games then have the dev chase hackers with there time and money.

Yes you can "fix" cheating, at least on game mechanics level, through strict client-server protocol which has to validate every action by the client, trusting it with NOTHING.

On user's computer level - aimbots and such may always be there, but you can minimize their effectiveness by allowing a depth of mechanics which lets players run circles around them.

That's why in Quake Wars, for instance, aimbotters never brought down a game. Not only because bullets had physical properties (no hitscan garbage), but because so many mechanics were available to frustrate them, especially if people gang up on them.

News Comments > H-Hour: World's Elite Early Access
2. Re: H-Hour: World's Elite Early Access May 20, 2015, 06:23 shihonage

H-Hour: W-World's El-el-elite  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2015, 18:20 shihonage

Impressive feet I see what you did there.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 19, 2015, 16:18 shihonage

Chances of Warcraft movie writing being as entertaining as that of a random questgiver in WoW - 95%.  

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
77. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 19, 2015, 16:01 shihonage

I really don't get the Wolfenstein hype. I'm somewhere 40% through New Order (will probably never finish), and it's just Call of Duty with all the Call of Duty gimmicks, but health doesn't regenerate. OMG SO OLD SCHOOL AMIRITE.

It's still the same old new shit, where you shoot gray enemies in front of gray walls, and level design doesn't play the same big role as it played in shooters of the past.

Not only the gray-on-gray irritates the crap out of my eyes, but weapons also don't feel as distinct as they did in either Wolf3D or Doom, and the game is chock-full of retarded scripted sequences during some of which you just press ONE KEY.

Wolfenstein and Doom were never about the story. The story suffocates level design and gameplay, always - something I realized way too late into my own 2D shooter project.

I truly hope Doom 4 is NOTHING like New Order.

71. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 19, 2015, 04:25 shihonage

peteham wrote on May 19, 2015, 03:57:
Probably also a large dose of having to deal with the constraints of GeForce2/3 class hardware, and their flaky shader feature set.

Doom 3 required GeForce 3 as I recall, because it had normal mapping. In fact GeForce 3-grade hardware is what excited Carmack about "possibilities" in the first place, which lead into this game being a graphics engine demo.

I assume the teleportation-thing was at least partially a gameplay mechanic born out of the need to ensure that you were never fighting more than 2-3 enemies at any given time. Meanwhile, Doom 1/2 had you gunning down piles of demons.

Quake2 had a similar (polygon count) challenge and it solved it via decidedly Doom1-like level design, which didn't require flooding the player with spawning monsters. No, it just required proper _level design_.

I also think monster closets automatically feel more jarring once you reach a certain level of fidelity. Doom 3's levels tried to convey a sense of time and place, where machinery appeared to have function, and some story-telling via PDAs. Doom 1/2's levels were mostly just there to let you shoot stuff.

Monster closets would be just as annoying in Doom1/2, if they used them with the same shameless abandon, in the same cramped linear levels, with the same lack of teleport sound cue.

In Doom3 they were a poorly implemented and overused gimmick, a lazy tool for generating cheap scares.

65. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 19, 2015, 01:49 shihonage

Krovven wrote on May 18, 2015, 19:50:
Aww so witty. Was that supposed to impress me? What would impress me is you actually countering it with something that is meaningful and maybe demonstrates you have a single clue of which you speak of.

PROTIP: the correct response is, "Ah yes, I re-read your posts and understand the entirety of your argument. I do concede - proving that Doom 3 is a worthy Doom game, on any level or scale, is an impossible task as it is objectively false. Thank you for making me see the light. Can I have your autograph?"

This exactly.

49. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 18:50 shihonage

Krovven wrote on May 18, 2015, 18:39:
And you are perfect example of someone that runs their mouth when they know nothing about what or to whom you speak. I'm almost 42. I've played all the id games since the beginning. You've been around here for a few years...I've been around here for 20 years.

Some people learn for 20 years. Others learn for 1 year, 20 times in a row.

And your entire argument about the closets is based on teleporting. It's semantics, of whether they were spawned in, teleported from elsewhere, or were preplaced. You triggered events and closets opened with monsters. Just because they "spawned in" rather than be "placed in" areas you may have already looked sometimes, doesn't change the function.

Any two subjects can be simplified to the point where start appearing extremely similar. This, however, speaks nothing of the subjects themselves, but rather of the bias of the observer.

"Summarizing" my already compact and siccinct point until it starts sounding like yours, is, how do I put it... maybe Doom 3 and you have something in common after all. You're both cheap?

46. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 18:31 shihonage

Krovven wrote on May 18, 2015, 16:18:
It makes me laugh when people complain about monster closets when it comes to Doom 3, but none of the other previous games. Happens in all of the Doom games and at least the first Quake game. Pick up an item, flip a switch, step on a pressure plate...wall opens monsters come out. This might be right behind you, right in front of you, or around the corner so you don't know it's coming.

Ladies and gentlemen, here we have a prime example of someone who has heard of these "old games" on paper but never actually played them.

FYI - the way it was done in Doom 3 was radically different from previous Dooms.

I quit Doom 3 after being subjected to the same exact routine multiple times - walking through claustrophobic environments when a monster spawns RIGHT behind my back and starts clawing at me.

In Doom 1/2, monsters didn't actually spawn (with exception of final level in Doom 2). SOME were placed in a way which would make them walk onto a teleport when the player reaches a certain place in the level, and appear in your immediate vicinity.

You could eventually go and find the location they were teleporting FROM.

Just as importantly, it didn't take place in cramped, polygon-savvy quarters of Doom 3. Both first Doom games (especially the more famous second one) had expansive, large levels, where the annoyance factor of such a spawn would be mitigated. Other mitigation factors were VISIBILITY, and the teleport sound cue.

Doom 3 is a completely alien game in design when it comes to the series. It no longer uses level design as the enemy in itself, relying instead on "atmosphere" and cheap spawns. The levels are there to "look good" instead of serving the function of feeding the monsters to player in entertaining and imaginative ways. The notion of creating illusion of non-linearity was abandoned, too.

Doom 3 was a tech demo with Doom name slapped on it. The end of id software.

News Comments > Open Source MAME
18. Re: Open Source MAME May 18, 2015, 03:33 shihonage

I bet that requires a ping of 30 or below to be even remotely playable.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic
28. Re: The Witcher 3 Launch Cinematic May 15, 2015, 04:34 shihonage

Quinn wrote on May 15, 2015, 03:57:
It makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. They look sexy in passive mode so they can catch anyone off guard, and in combat mode they have to look intimidating and scary so that even the best of fighters is reconsidering flight during the fight. But I read between your lines: You just wanted to see a naked chick.

You, much wisdom, Daniel-san.

Squirmer wrote on May 15, 2015, 04:02:
shihonage wrote on May 15, 2015, 02:49:
No, I have no issue with it whatsoever
That's what I mean.

Thanks!

349 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo