Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for LurkerLito

Real Name LurkerLito   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LurkerLito
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 16, 2011, 20:27
Total Comments 198 (Novice)
User ID 56985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Onikira: Demon Killer for PC. Onikira Released
4. Re: Onikira: Demon Killer for PC. Onikira Released Aug 27, 2015, 14:47 LurkerLito

I bought this early access and I only played it a little bit. It was kind of like a 2D Devil May Cry type game. It was fun but since it was early access I ended up shelving it for another game while I waited for release. I guess I should load up steam and check it now.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
15. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 11:51 LurkerLito

Congrats to CDPR.

I can't wait for Cyberpunk, but I will keep my expectations lower than they were for Witcher 3. It's not that I don't think they can do it, but it is the first game of a new IP so I expect some growing pains.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
6. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 11:01 LurkerLito

Larian has my support since they have actually successfully finished and delivered a good game that was done with a kickstarter. Original one was suppose to be Nov 2013 release but it was delayed and the actual release was June 30 2014. Alpha hit Dec 2013 then Beta in April 2014.

I really should finish the first one.

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
66. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 21:37 LurkerLito

yonder wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 18:36:
LurkerLito wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 11:37:
harlock wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 11:13:
I would still be comfortable saying they are still $200m short to be on the safe side of being able to complete this game with the current promises.

So you think that stating that they require DOUBLE the Dev Budget of GTA5 is "being on the safe side"?

... yeah okay.

And I'm budgeting seven hundred dollars next week for groceries... just to be on the safe side.
If you act like CIG then yes you better budget a lot more for your groceries. Going to the store for fish sticks and coming out with $100/ounce caviar, I'd say $700 is a safe budget for you.

Why $200m more? Simply based off their current progress, their estimated original release date, their tendency for feature creep, and the fact that they couldn't hit their original release date with even an alpha of something resembling the game they pitched whose original kickstarter stretch goal cost was $6m. Yeah I'd say $200m is being safe.

$6m was suppose to get us this game (look it up on the kickstarter campaign page) but even after all those ship buyers inflated it to $87m all they have to show for it is Arena Commander. That is pathetic. In the software industry delays are common it's a fact of life, but even then, to promise delivery by a date, receiving money several magnitudes in excess of the original amount, and not being able to deliver even a decent alpha level quality partial game with at least 50% of the content is incompetence. That is the company is imploding, mismanaging everything, and people are going to lose their jobs territory.

16. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 11:37 LurkerLito

harlock wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 11:13:
you think the entire 285m budget for GTA went exclusively into software development?

hint: it didnt.. try researching the pie chart on how that budget was ACTUALLY ALLOCATED before using this as some kind of argument
Of course not, but it still doesn't change things. They are still short on money. Their sales have slowed to a crawl and they are now having to do refunds. They will need to switch to some kind of episodic release schedule to hopefully drum up some more sales in order to stay afloat, and that will require marketing. Maybe not nearly as much as say GTAV, but it still won't be free. I would still be comfortable saying they are still $200m short to be on the safe side of being able to complete this game with the current promises.

10. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 10:50 LurkerLito

Task wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 10:32:
I imagine an MMO like this, as high fidelity as it is, will take 6 years minimum, 8 years max (like some other big MMOs). I can wait, plenty of other things to play in the mean time.
But that is the problem isn't it. They supposedly have at best $87m. This game is GTAV in scale minimally, that cost $285m to make. They are about $200m short to actually be able to finish this. I don't see any way they can generate $200m more dollars from backers, and I don't know if any publishers would even touch this project to save it.

8. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 10:37 LurkerLito

zombiefan wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 10:20:
Funny thing is, if you don't talk to them in what they deem as a "rational" manner, you can still get your money back. Right, Derek?
I doubt it. Derek could get his money cause he is well known enough that they couldn't just steal his money without getting hit by a huge PR nightmare. Any normal person wouldn't get the same treatment. They would just ban the account for being abusive and they'd just steal keep the money.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House
25. Re: Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House Aug 18, 2015, 17:21 LurkerLito

I was doing some simple math on estimates of how much money they have given the expenditure figure I read from a Derek Smart tweet and if the $3m/month figure is even in the same ballpark, and making a few generous assumptions, CIG has around 17-24 months of money left to complete SC. So layoffs at this stage and closing of external subsidiaries are not going to be unexpected from now on. I would expect more.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 17, 2015, 12:56 LurkerLito

InBlack wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 08:22:
Also what the fuck is illegal hardware?
Illegal means not legitimate or can be used for illegal things, for example a USB to Serial adapter that uses a counterfeit chip inside. Similarly, if you have a say DVD drive that has a modded firmware that lets you bypass region restrictions that would also be considered illegal or say a device that allows you to bypass the HDMI encryption. It's broad enough to include lots of things.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2015, 18:17 LurkerLito

Hardware already happened, not really MS's fault but they also got heat from it:

USB driver bricks chips

Basically hardware manufacturer put out an updated driver that bricked the USB to Serial Adapters that had counterfeit chips in them. Now with the new MS EULA, no more apologies necessary for that or admonishment for the company that pushed the update. I would definitely believe that the reason the clause is in the EULA now is because of this incident.

News Comments > Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Announced
3. Re: Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Announced Aug 1, 2015, 10:13 LurkerLito

I'll be getting it also because I love the concept overall, but I haven't really gotten good at the game. It can be tedious, but it's one of those games, I can play and not notice the time went by so quickly.  

News Comments > Kyn Released
4. Re: Kyn Released Jul 29, 2015, 11:04 LurkerLito

It's actually fun and I like it. It is very Diablo/Torchlight/Grimm Dawn like but with a single male character that can change play styles depending on your outfit choice. The enemy types aren't as varied as I'd like. They are Spider, Wraith, Gargoyles, undead, skeletons, essences and vampire. Basically I haven't really seen any others in about 18 hours of play, just variations of those types. It is really dependent on the loot drops you get and there are "demon powers" you can use. I'd say if you are a fan of the aRPGs like Diablo/Torchlight/Grimm Dawn you will probably like it also. I don't regret my purchase and I am still playing it, and I find the $18 first few days of release sale a fair price for the content.  

News Comments > Kyn Released
2. Re: Kyn Released Jul 29, 2015, 00:08 LurkerLito

Already bought Victor Vran on GoG so this one maybe in the future sometime when it goes on sale, but I am aRPG-ed out for now.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
63. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:22 LurkerLito

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:39:
The vast majority of funding was raised AFTER the inclusion of FPS. Those backers knew what they were getting, whilst early backers get more for no extra cost. What it comes down to is that the game is delayed. And you know what... that's pretty damned common for a project of this scale. Nobody likes delays but people have to be reasonable and accept that they happen. It was promised as a cutting edge PC game to show off the platform and that's absolutely what it's going to be, now more so than ever.
So those people are the cause for the delay to the detriment of the early backers. See that is the problem. CIG had an obligation to fulfill the kickstarter goals. Once he added to them like with the FPS module then he completely changed the goals that were agreed upon with the original backers. Since he could no longer fulfill those he absolutely should have made concessions to all early backers that they would refund their money IF THEY WANTED.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:39:
Stop being ridiculous. Adding or improving upon features isn't 'bait and switch'.
Yes it is bait and switch if the original goals and time lines were greatly exceeded to the point that the original could not be delivered as promised. At that point they have broken the agreement for the money they accepted. Since that is the case they need to refund anyone in the early kickstarter WHO REQUESTS it. This is no different than if someone ordered some food in a resturant then it came to their table with peanuts on top added. The buyer has the right to send it back or not pay for it because it's not what he ordered (especially if they have a peanut allergy). CIG got the money, for the features listed on the kickstarter page. It doesn't matter if he got more money from the backers afterwards for more features like the FPS module, the original backers did not ask for it nor were they given the option to back out because of it. If they are holding the money now after a backer requested a refund, they baited them with one set of features and switched out what they were going to get and increased development time. No matter how you look at it, they baited and switched from the original backers and that constitutes fraud.

57. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:06 LurkerLito

Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:04:
LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 11:55:
You're absolutely wrong:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win
Please point out where FPS was part of the original goal.

You're funny. You already answered your own question. I put it in bold and underlined it for you.

the FP in FPS stands for First Person, in case you forgot.

And you obviously don't know a thing about games. Star Marine is a FPS (S as in Shooter, call of duty BS) it has nothing to do with the original game. First person trading, sure walking around your ship yes, but shooter NO! Stop trying to add extra words in there that don't exist.

23. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 11:55 LurkerLito

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 11:21:
Wrong. FPS combat was one of the stretch goals hit in the original Kickstarter campaign, both at $3.5m and $5m. Development started in late 2013 (12 months after the start of crowdfunding) and first shown off about a year later. At the moment it has been worked on for 18 months, which isn't much time for a project of this scale (zero-G, accurate first and third person animations, motion capture, netcode, backend integration, etc).
You're absolutely wrong:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win
Please point out where FPS was part of the original goal. It's not FYI, not even in the document. That's what I and many others funded and agreed to including the time line to completion. It's a good thing kickstarter keeps the original docs around, cause I am sure CIG has modified it significantly on their site and revised it to their version of history.

Here is the deal with crowd funding, you come up with a concept, you try to get funds from backers, then *gasp* YOU FINISH IT with what you promised, and then you get to do another or build upon the released version for the sequel. You don't say you're building a Space Sim, then say "ooh it would be great if it had a FPS" then say "we can't deliver the space sim you funded until we also finish building the FPS." That is bait and switch and is the reason backers are mad and looking to get out. You don't get to take 2 completely different concepts and merge them together after taking people's money and change the original goal and time line unless you are willing to return the money you took to people who only wanted the originally planned concept. It is that simple. That really needs to get beaten into CIG and the whole crowd funding movement so feature creeping added features don't keep getting put into the original plan. Punch

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2015, 10:41 LurkerLito

I hate to say it kxmode but you are screwed like all the backers. I personally found the email exchange quite a big eye opener. Here is the thing that really caught my attention:
So, speaking to you as a backer this was only ever the scenario assuming that the stretch goals stopped at that point. The idea was that as more goals were met, the more the game could grow and expand into something bigger and better. Right from the get go Chris mentioned in his pitch. "I don't want to build just a game, I want to build a universe"
So according to CIG support, the backers who bought more spaceships are the cause of the current situation. If they had only just stopped sending them money they would have actually finished the game to the specifications and on time.

So get that through your heads next time you buy into any kickstarter. If they keep asking for more money for more features after the kickstarter ends DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYMORE!!!!

Some rules for kickstarters really needs to be placed by the FTC. IMHO once the KS ends any adding of more stretch goals for more money should be illegal whether on the kickstarter website or on the website run by the company itself. That is one that absolutely needs to be put in and enforced. Otherwise feature creeping projects like SC will continue to the detriment of backers and possibly kill their usefulness due to mistrust they generate.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2015, 10:29 LurkerLito

It sounds like CIG is suppose to release something in 2 weeks or so they say. It'll be interesting to see what they put out. For some reason I can't stop thinking they are desperate to quiet the distension among the backers and are working in crunch time conditions to get it out as fast as possible.

I more interested about this bit in the article:
These reports range from rapidly dwindling funds left to see the project to completion; to a new report that SQ42 is almost a year away if they don’t reduce the scope, and that it is now going to be an episodic game, in which the first episode (about 3hrs long without cut-scenes) is free, while future episodes are going to be paid DLC.
They absolutely did not mention or even imply the single player portion of the game was episodic requiring payment to get anything past the first episode. If they did even imply that during the KS time I would never have backed it. Episodic means it'll never be finished. I don't think I have ever seen a game that was labeled "episodic" finished.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
115. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 15:51 LurkerLito

dsmart wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 15:21:
And you just said it yourself. It was told to us, after the fact.
Ha interesting, I didn't even notice that. Well I wish you luck in that pursuit.

I am stuck regardless since I went direct to RSI with my pledge. But since I am only in like < $30 I don't much care as long as they deliver me Squadron 42. I am fairly certain they'll cobble that much together at a minimum and it was all I wanted in the first place.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
111. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 15:14 LurkerLito

dsmart wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 14:43:
No. That's not how it works. They are separate. I pledged on KS to a product. I never pledged, knowing that my product, would be tied to another entity (RSI).

It's all be through legal, so I know what I'm talking about.

That's why I indicated that, in the event of a catastrophic loss, only the KS backers ($2.1m) have any recourse to get money back, depending on how much - if anything - left, if/when this whole thing collapses.
That doesn't sound right, it was told to you that your pledges were linked to your RSI account in the email update on 11/30/2012.
From the email:
Kickstarter Linking

We’ve had a lot of questions about the Kickstarter linking process. Everyone is wondering when their pledge will appear on the site. The answer is that it may take another two weeks: Kickstarter gives pledgers a grace period to confirm their payment before we’re allowed to send out the end-of-campaign survey collecting your information. Once that period is over, we will send out the survey through Kickstarter to collect the relevant information that will allow us to link the pledge to your account. Once we have that in hand, we will begin the process of linking your pledges to your RSI account, note due to the large volume of transactions and time allowed for people to complete the surveys this will not be an immediate process. For those who added money for Kickstarter add ons, you’ll be given a ‘credit’ at RSI which you will then be able to divide into the add ons you purchased on Kickstarter, including those no longer available like the Vanduul, M50, etc. Kickstarter users will automatically have access to the lower price add ons and extra tiers that those who registered for the RSI site before 11/26 have. Also note that the winners of the referral contest will be announced after the Kickstarter pledges are integrated; we can’t give away the big prize until everyone has had a chance to list their referrals!

198 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo