Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Crustacean Soup

Real Name Crustacean Soup   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2011, 01:04
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 56982

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
33. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 14, 2013, 01:49 Crustacean Soup

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:54:
I have no idea what some of you guys are talking about. This game has to be one of the easiest shooters I've ever played, and shooters aren't even my favorite genre. You enter the game, hit insert key to auto join a team, you select a class (which is very self explanatory), you click on the team lead and select deploy. Now you're with your unit either defending or attacking the enemy who has a different colored uniform. As you play, you easily figure out what your class can do, or maybe go to a vehicle terminal and easily figure out what the vehicles do. Please, someone tell me what the difficulty is.

I've been playing this game for a while now, just a little less these days because frankly I'm getting bored with how easy and mindless it really is.
Not sure if I can say "one of the easiest". When I started playing it wasn't immediately clear what the objectives were, how to go about accomplishing them, why everyone was standing around, why there was a building we couldn't enter that people were still spawning in, how to get up to a biolab, how to find the squad leader or what world he was on, etc.

Basic gameplay mechanics are easy, and getting kills is easy, but there could be some better explanations on "big picture" things.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
55. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 01:31 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 01:28:
"I don't believe there isn't a God or gods, I don't believe they exist either. I simply don't know."

Without the entire sentence you don't have context. I suppose a person who speaks English as a second language would be confused by the intent of those 2 sentences, but other then that it strikes me that you are arguing semantics for the sake of arguing.
I'm not sure what you're saying. What I wrote works with that entire sentence, and my paraphrasing lost none of the meaning. Should I edit the full sentence into my post? Will that matter in some way? Edit: Are you saying that you are an atheist and you have faith as well (whereupon this devolves into a discussion of dictionaries and the word "faith")? Did I miss something? Are we done? Edit2: Yeah, I think so. Good night!

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 01:42.

53. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 01:18 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 01:08:
It says exactly what I said it did. Atheists, by definition, do not believe in god, gods...otherwise known as "deities". I fail to see how that varies from what I said it would.
atheists do believe in something they can't actually prove, and I think that qualifies as faith.
I don't think to disbelieve and to believe are equivalent. Again, M-W

DISBELIEVE

transitive verb: to hold not worthy of belief : not believe

You said you do not believe in a god (nor believe in one). That, uh, fits M-W's definition of atheism. That's all I said.

And again, regardless of that, to characterize "atheists" as having faith in something using someone else's words doesn't really work. But you just repeated it again.

51. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 01:00 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:37:
As for atheists considering me one of them...well...that is their prerogative I suppose. By the definition of the terms however I am not one and the definition is the only thing I can go by. Atheism is not flexible, it is what it is. To me it seems pretty clear cut based on the fact that if I look in 3 different dictionaries I get the same definition.

My three dictionaries disagree. Merriam Webster's website says
ATHEISM
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Dictionary.com (Randomhouse) and oxforddictionaries.com (Oxford University Press) include equivalent definitions.

In any case, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. You're sitting here arguing that "atheists" have faith in something and are acting fanatical and this and that using dictionary definitions instead of their own words. That doesn't work. English isn't something like a computer language, it's a natural language.

49. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 23:49 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:36:
Atheism, whether atheists want to admit it or not, can not prove they are correct without a shadow of a doubt. They simply have faith that they are correct because they have never seen any proof to the contrary.

In the interests of full disclosure, and despite the Bill Maher video I linked, I consider my self agnostic, not atheist. I don't believe in anything in particular other than the obvious truth that we are a very small part of a very big universe that has a whole lot of things going on that we can't predict or control. I don't believe their isn't a God or gods, I don't believe they exist either. I simply don't know. Nothing that I have observed or experienced in my life proves either belief to me. I do believe that regardless of whether a God or gods exist, religion itself is man made and that many religions, including all the modern varieties, get twisted by people for selfish reasons.
A lot of atheists would consider you to be one. Dawkins doesn't claim to know that gods don't exist either. Not many self-named atheists use the "certainty that gods don't exist" definition.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
5. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 13, 2013, 21:56 Crustacean Soup

Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 21:23:
Since the game is inherently broken and does not do any of the granular simulation they said it did who really cares if they get their shit together server-wise? I was an ardent defender of this game and their decision to do it all online but this game has just turned out to be crap on crap with more crap on the side.
I thought it did do what they said it does, but that it just ends up failing more frequently than the old, less hardware-intensive probabilistic setup.

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
80. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 17:21 Crustacean Soup

ViRGE wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 16:52:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:16:
The region processing cannot be very CPU and/or RAM intensive at all. How could it be? 23 servers CPU's and RAM for tens of thousands (at least) of players at once. The amount of CPU/RAM slice per player must be very thin indeed for this to work at all.
You're being too literal. A "server" in this case would be a server cluster composed of an unknown number of nodes. There's at least one beefy machine doing all of the database work, they may have a proxy layer, nodes doing the regional simulation, etc. We have no way of knowing precisely how many individual drive a server cluster, but I'd expect there to be a lot of them handling the regional sim.
This speaks to how difficult it would be to pull the regional stuff off of the servers and put it in an offline version. The server environment is entirely different from what an individual with a single computer has. There's a lot intercommunication that would have to be simulated/changed, there's database servers, it's all probably running in a (/ many) different OSs and software environment(s) that consumers wouldn't be running the game on. Getting this stuff all on the client is not the flip of a switch that some people are characterizing it as.

But it still can't be extremely computationally expensive. It wouldn't be economically-feasible if running a single region consumed more (or anywhere near as much) resources than a gamer has available on their home computer, and I doubt that the added efficiency of running many regions simultaneously shaves off enough compute power to make it necessary that it run on a server / cluster of servers.

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
27. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 13:22 Crustacean Soup

Whiskers wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 08:50:
Has anyone tried that new 4x Stardrive?
Enjoying it. It's less 'streamlined to hell' than Endless Space is, despite being realtime. On the other hand, I'm still not sure how much staying power it'll have, and I have the vague (still uncomfirmed) feeling that every game is going to more-or-less play out of the same way. There's still a month or so of polish and balancing to go until release though.

News Comments > StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access
12. Re: StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access Mar 10, 2013, 22:22 Crustacean Soup

I took a chance and bought it. The game is pretty fun, though I can see there's room for balancing before release. Still making up my mind, but so far I'm liking it.

The game feels a bit more like a typical 4X and less like an RTS than does, say, SOASE.

You get a set number of tiles on planets on which to build improvements, and you can further specialize by tweaking the % of a planet's population that works on research, production, or food, and whether to import or export food and production. Freighters auto-trade resources or colonists between planets. You can have a pure research planet that depends on agriculture and mining planets to survive.

There's ship design (2D grid with parts), typical 4Xy diplomacy (with fairly reactive AI who declare war when you're weak, suck up when you're strong, etc.), and bog standard tree research, but all taking place in real time. There don't seem to be as many things to do to influence a battle. There are no RTSy unit powers or whatnot. You can try to micro, but there are so many fast-moving ships and so many different firing arcs...

Problems? Ships avoid engaging enemies in the same star system unless they're nearly adjacent or on "empire defense" mode (which does what it says if you forget to manually set up an AO). The research tree feels like it could be fleshed out a bit (or it's just too fast to move through it at the default Pace setting). I hit one event that unlocks some powerful ship parts, and it wasn't clear if the AI did too -- if they did, their designs weren't making great use of them. Launching/using troops is a little weird, and it seems a bit too easy to get them past enemy ships and straight to the planet. And it's easy to get into debt without noticing and then lose everything to rebels.

News Comments > Age of Empires II HD Next Month
7. Re: Age of Empires II HD Next Month Mar 7, 2013, 16:48 Crustacean Soup

There are hacks to run AOE2 at a higher resolution. It doesn't look like this has anything "HD" to it other than that...

(the Workshop and multiplayer support is cool, though)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 6, 2013, 17:38 Crustacean Soup

I was kind of hoping for a decent list of games I might want to play, and maybe why I might want to play them. Nooope.

Example:
Pocket Legends is hands down one of the most entertaining and exciting MMORPGs currently available for Android devices. This 3D source of addiction will leave you hooked for hours, days, possibly weeks. This game is the largest mobile MMORPG game to date. Gather with other fantasy fans in a humid swamp, a sweeping mountain top or a dark and dreary dungeon. The power of choice is back in the hands of the players. Pocket Legends will seriously leave you hooked. This game has received some rave reviews from fans. The graphics get you hooked and the game play keeps you coming back for more. It is easy to get addicted to this game.

Oh well.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
21. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 4, 2013, 15:45 Crustacean Soup

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:38:
Usually by the time I've reached true immortality I've reached the goals I've set for that character, and I just start over again.
I tried to start a new character (character was around level 50 and everything was starting to become unpleasantly easy), but I ended up redoing a bunch of quests I'd already completed which drove me kind of crazy. I ended up just adding in some mods to increase the difficulty, and using less cheesy gear.

News Comments > Piratey Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Revealed?
8. Re: Piratey Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Revealed? Feb 26, 2013, 18:53 Crustacean Soup

The naval combat in AC3 was pretty good. Would have been a lot better if it didn't grab the camera away from you every couple of minutes though.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 15:21 Crustacean Soup

wtf_man wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:15:
won't block used games, doesn't require a constant internet connectection

The WiiU doesn't either, and I'd be very surprised if the new Xbox does.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 15, 2013, 18:32 Crustacean Soup

Email has one or two tabs. Documentation related to whatever I'm working on potentially takes up a lot of them. Yet more tabs are taken up by a web-based issue tracking system, with any tickets I'm working on opened. And then I might have a website, forum thread, and/or Youtube video about a bug I'm working on...

I do have a tendency to leave tabs open when I shouldn't, but having more than 9 tabs open is hardly pointless.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition
20. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 15:19 Crustacean Soup

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:02:
lack of expanding cone of fire on the automatic rifles is a huge deal.. its why all competitive players are forced to use them because they are unstoppable at mid-close range - point and kill, basically - nothing else comes close

its a pretty big issue IMO

Yep. Bullet weapons have pissed me off in this game from the first day. They've been nerfed, but they're still crazy effective, not to mention much easier to use than the slower weapons. They gave the Juggernaut an LMG at some point, that's about when I gave up completely.

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects
40. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 19:22 Crustacean Soup

descender wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 17:45:
If you think any of these things were what I was talking about... then something tells me this conversation was wasted on you.

If you 're still insistent that by tweaking the INI files you've turned Fallout 3/NV's visuals into "almost exactly like Skyrim", I'm thinking I'll just abandon this "conversation".

33. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 17:23 Crustacean Soup

descender wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 17:21:
You absolutely can tweak the graphics for better draw distance, more color/saturation, higher resolution textures, less detail fade... so don't tell me "you can't" when the rest of the world around you can and does.

INI tweaks can't improve the textures. You can download better textures from mod sites. I've done that.

That still doesn't improve: # of objects in the world, density of objects, mesh detail, shader quality, shadows.

31. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 17:16 Crustacean Soup

descender wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:31:
Can I sell you a boat that isn't leaking "quite so much"?

As I said, you can tweak FO3/NV to look almost exactly like Skyrim.

You are having a stuttering problem because FO3/NV were not released with exe files that can actually use most of your hardware. Go run them with the 4GB LAA exe files that Skyrim shipped with and your stuttering will likely disappear.

- No you can't
- I already have

I'm not sure what INI tweaks can add more objects to the game's barren landscapes and empty interiors (EDIT: or more detailed meshes, or better shaders, or...). I do remember there was a particular bookshelf in a particular corner of a particular room in FNV that had a lot more objects than normal. It actually chugged. On my i5 2500k/6950 HD system.

22. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 16:26 Crustacean Soup

descender wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:34:
There is not a huge difference between the Skyrim engine and what they used for the Fallout games... just tweaks and updates. You can achieve similar results with their older games by simply editing the ini files.

Playing New Vegas right now. It runs noticeably worse than Skyrim (with constant stuttering as it loads in new areas/objects) despite looking much worse and having much more barren environments. New Vegas and Fallout 3 were also far less stable for me than Skyrim is; I can count the number of Skyrim crashes I've encountered on one hand, while New Vegas usually crashes at least once every time I play it.

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo