Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Crustacean Soup

Real Name Crustacean Soup   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2011, 01:04
Total Comments 378 (Amateur)
User ID 56982

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
19. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend May 25, 2013, 00:33 Crustacean Soup

Ant wrote on May 25, 2013, 00:01:
I played its free weekend last time, but it was so buggy like its tutorial. Has it improved since then?
The tutorial works, though we broke its camera animations in the last patch (always the best timing with tutorial bugs) so there are a couple of slightly awkward bits where you might be aware that something is supposed to be happening but isn't.

Anyways, it's a multiplayer-only game, the whole single-player scripted gameplay thing wasn't really the highest priority.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2013, 00:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Servers Vulnerable?
8. Re: Game Servers Vulnerable? May 23, 2013, 19:11 Crustacean Soup

BobBob wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:38:
Crustacean Soup wrote on May 22, 2013, 19:06:
BobBob wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:35:
Firewall settings can typically prevent this.
Not unless you want to stop clients from even connecting to the server in question.

You can control packets, search strings, etc. I'm talking Linux not Windows.
You could do DPI. It's expensive to do so, and you'd have to specifically tailor it towards each exploit (there's no "anti-exploit" setting you can turn on in your firewall to do this). No firewall vendor is going to do it automatically for you, it's unlikely any actually server operators would end up doing it, and it's pretty much certain no consumers will (should an vulnerability be exploited by a server against clients instead of the other way around). So okay, hypothetically it's possible.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation May 23, 2013, 08:30 Crustacean Soup

Microsoft won't let indies self-publish on Xbox One.

I don't understand this mentality. It felt outdated last generation, and with the popularity of indies on the PC it's definitely outdated now. Why put up extra barriers to keep us out? There's already a certification process that everyone has to go through anyways, and there are already plenty of terrible published games.

News Comments > Game Servers Vulnerable?
6. Re: Game Servers Vulnerable? May 22, 2013, 19:06 Crustacean Soup

BobBob wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:35:
Firewall settings can typically prevent this.
Not unless you want to stop clients from even connecting to the server in question.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2013, 23:31 Crustacean Soup

Verno wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:23:
- Underpowered hardware again, this is sort of Nintendos thing but they really pissed off third parties with that slow CPU and only 2GB of memory
It's really only been Nintendo's thing since the DS and Wii. At least they didn't just pull a 'last gen' and do 512 MB of RAM.

The marketing is just the most surprising thing to me. No one gets that the Wii U is a brand shiny new console because the thing doesn't have a new aesthetic, still uses the Wii Remote, and it's called "Wii U". I can't fathom what happened there.

News Comments > Incredible Machine-inspired Contraption Maker Announced
8. Re: Incredible Machine-inspired Contraption Maker Announced May 12, 2013, 15:40 Crustacean Soup

And Rovio's Amazing Alex  

News Comments > Bethesda Game Vulnerability
13. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 12:29 Crustacean Soup

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 12, 2013, 11:45:
His "exploit" requires you to have access to the console.

Wow. What a non-story. There are probably a million ways to make the game crash or otherwise screw up when you have access to the console.

A mod can also take advantage of the exploit, and crashing the game outright is just one possible outcome: a person could probably use this to run malicious code. I've never heard of someone delivering malware through a game mod and I'm sure Bethesda games aren't the only ones where modding opens you up to that, though...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2013, 18:21 Crustacean Soup

Do many ultimately-proven-to-be-true console rumours get started on TV Tropes?  

News Comments > Defiance Renewed
41. Re: Defiance Renewed May 11, 2013, 13:39 Crustacean Soup

Do you get Continuum in the US or anywhere outside of Canada? That and Doctor Who are the only TV science fiction series I'm watching right now, though I haven't given this one much of a chance.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 May 11, 2013, 13:13 Crustacean Soup

I want to buy everything DCS, but I haven't even had the time to figure out how to get the Blackshark off the ground (although DCS-A10C and FC3 sound a bit easier to get into, and I so love planes, so I might have to take the plunge anyways)  

News Comments > EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights
34. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:28 Crustacean Soup

Nice thing they picked their "star" studios to handle this. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.  

News Comments > Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week
18. Re: Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week May 4, 2013, 18:04 Crustacean Soup

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 4, 2013, 11:28:
...a virtual pinball experience that is arguably better than the real thing.

So uh, are you actually arguing that?

News Comments > Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week
9. Re: Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week May 3, 2013, 23:55 Crustacean Soup

Love Pinball FX2. Even if its physics are noticeably deficient it's nonetheless very fun. Nothing comes close to a real table for that authentic pinball experience anyways.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Buys Related Designs
17. Re: Ubisoft Buys Related Designs Apr 12, 2013, 13:34 Crustacean Soup

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 08:46:
Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 05:50:
Steam is not DRM, it's a content delivery system.
Its a digital content delivery system that contains DRM. A minimal amount of it, but its there.
It's there, but there's no requirement that you use it when you release a game on the platform.

News Comments > Free Hyperspace Pinball
4. Re: Free Hyperspace Pinball Apr 12, 2013, 13:30 Crustacean Soup

You can download any Desura game without using the Desura client. There's a list of downloadable files on the game's page...

The threshold for getting onto Desura is lower than Steam's (um, if there even is one), so a lot of indies go there, even if they're trying to get through Greenlight.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III The Betrayal DLC
5. Re: Assassin's Creed III The Betrayal DLC Mar 19, 2013, 22:38 Crustacean Soup

Brumbek wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 21:29:
It is basically slander.
Except that it's being presented as a fictional, hypothetical what-if, not as historical reality...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
57. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 02:02 Crustacean Soup

Not trolling. Anyways, the actual quip I entered the comment thread to make:

How Netflix is turning viewers into puppets.

"Puppet" apparently means "Netflix' algorithms determine exactly what I want to watch". That's, uh, fine by me.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
33. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 14, 2013, 01:49 Crustacean Soup

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:54:
I have no idea what some of you guys are talking about. This game has to be one of the easiest shooters I've ever played, and shooters aren't even my favorite genre. You enter the game, hit insert key to auto join a team, you select a class (which is very self explanatory), you click on the team lead and select deploy. Now you're with your unit either defending or attacking the enemy who has a different colored uniform. As you play, you easily figure out what your class can do, or maybe go to a vehicle terminal and easily figure out what the vehicles do. Please, someone tell me what the difficulty is.

I've been playing this game for a while now, just a little less these days because frankly I'm getting bored with how easy and mindless it really is.
Not sure if I can say "one of the easiest". When I started playing it wasn't immediately clear what the objectives were, how to go about accomplishing them, why everyone was standing around, why there was a building we couldn't enter that people were still spawning in, how to get up to a biolab, how to find the squad leader or what world he was on, etc.

Basic gameplay mechanics are easy, and getting kills is easy, but there could be some better explanations on "big picture" things.

55. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 01:31 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 01:28:
"I don't believe there isn't a God or gods, I don't believe they exist either. I simply don't know."

Without the entire sentence you don't have context. I suppose a person who speaks English as a second language would be confused by the intent of those 2 sentences, but other then that it strikes me that you are arguing semantics for the sake of arguing.
I'm not sure what you're saying. What I wrote works with that entire sentence, and my paraphrasing lost none of the meaning. Should I edit the full sentence into my post? Will that matter in some way? Edit: Are you saying that you are an atheist and you have faith as well (whereupon this devolves into a discussion of dictionaries and the word "faith")? Did I miss something? Are we done? Edit2: Yeah, I think so. Good night!

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 01:42.

53. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 01:18 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 01:08:
It says exactly what I said it did. Atheists, by definition, do not believe in god, gods...otherwise known as "deities". I fail to see how that varies from what I said it would.
atheists do believe in something they can't actually prove, and I think that qualifies as faith.
I don't think to disbelieve and to believe are equivalent. Again, M-W

DISBELIEVE

transitive verb: to hold not worthy of belief : not believe

You said you do not believe in a god (nor believe in one). That, uh, fits M-W's definition of atheism. That's all I said.

And again, regardless of that, to characterize "atheists" as having faith in something using someone else's words doesn't really work. But you just repeated it again.

378 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo