Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Crustacean Soup

Real Name Crustacean Soup   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2011, 01:04
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 56982

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > April Foolin' 2012, Part 2
12. Re: It Came from April Fool's 2102, Part 2 Apr 1, 2012, 20:21 Crustacean Soup

The Wiimote hidden blades cracked me up.

But eh, Google Maps definitely has it this year.

Dev wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 18:41:
And the onboard computer I wonder if its done in minecraft

"The computer in the game is a fully functioning emulated 16 bit CPU that can be used to control your entire ship, or just to play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish."

Apparently he's actually been talking about doing that on Twitter (a 16-bit VM inside his space game). Sounds kinda nifty.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 20:50 Crustacean Soup

Ventura wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 18:44:
I don't know, there are some movies (Prometheus) that I only want to see in the theater despite having a pretty kickass home theater setup.

I have a kickass setup at home too, and the better it gets, the more I realise that I only continue to go out to the movies because they get them first. If movies I really want to see, like The Avengers, Battleship and Prometheus, came out on Blu Ray on the same day as arriving in cinemas, it would be a very different story.

It used to be about the big screen experience, but these days, it really doesn't cost all that much to be able to have a similar experience at home.

It's not even just that it's at home, the quality you get from even a cheapish home theatre setup is better than at any of the theatres I've been to.

Projectors? Always out-of-focus, out of sync, covered in dust. The best I've seen was one that had an awesome new DLP projector just installed... but since then, it's degraded massively (maybe because they installed a 3D lens adapter on it that they never remove?)

The sound is wretched too. Poorly balanced, way too loud (hearing protection loud, which is just insulting).

As far as I can tell these theatres have good, often new equipment, they're just being run incompetently (few, poorly-trained employees). I'm sure there's well-run theatres somewhere, but I've never seen them.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Mar 22, 2012, 23:38 Crustacean Soup

I have a lot of time in Shogun 2, though most of it was because of a few times where I walked away without closing the game. Still, actual play time is probably comparable with or greater than Skyrim. Excellent game.

And I haven't tried mods yet. I didn't really find the lack of unit variation bothered me that much.

News Comments > Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game"
20. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 20:19 Crustacean Soup

I'm going to miss Mark Hamill's Joker  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 11, 2012, 03:54 Crustacean Soup

Narf2029 wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 23:04:
I almost never use my 360 anymore, except to watch Netflix. Even that is dubious since I have a computer hooked up to the TV as well.
Yeah, since I hooked a PC up to the TV I've barely touched my 360. Most console games I care about are multiplatform, and almost every multiplatform game supports controllers, so that argument for the console is out. I can lie down on the couch in any position I feel comfortable and game at my leisure. At full 1080p with antialiasing and cranked graphics settings. Or I can pull up the keyboard and mouse, and blast away some people in an online game. It's great.

News Comments > Avalanche Game Announcement at E3
3. Re: Avalanche Game Announcement at E3 Mar 10, 2012, 00:56 Crustacean Soup

Can't wait to see what this is.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
45. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 22:23 Crustacean Soup

If you like the game, putting down $8 on the cheapest booster gives you at 10-day booster and for-life VIP status (only if you do it during the beta). I bit the bullet and did it; I've had enough fun out of the game for the devs to get something. It's the only F2P purchase I've ever made.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
16. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 13:29 Crustacean Soup

Shataan wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:18:
I don`t remember Tribes 1 being all that fast at release. A mod came that allowed for unreal speed and the ability to jumpjet without needing a recharge.... but that was way after release. So the term "Tribes is all about speed and movement" kinda loses me.

It was if you skied, and if you didn't ski you were at a massive disadvantage. Skiing was, IIRC, figured out during the beta; maybe it wasn't extremely well-known until some time after release. Tribes' speed had nothing to do with any silly infinite-energy mod.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 01:21 Crustacean Soup

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 12:09:
I guess in some esotheric, purely theoretical way the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, but in reality it's the other way around. Sony's stupid memory sharing system is murdering the latest games to come out on their platform.

Creston
The memory is part of it, but I think the Cell and the GPU are bigger parts.

The PPE is like a sort of weak single-core CPU. If you have a heavily CPU-bound, multithreaded game running on the 360 or PC and you try to bring it straight over to the PPE, it's going to run pretty poorly. Similarly, the PS3's GPU is less powerful than the 360's by a pretty good margin, so you can't just bring that stuff straight over either.

The trick is that you need to offload as much as you can onto the SPUs: rendering, physics, AI, whatever. They're very powerful vector processors, and they can make up for the weaker PPE and GPU, but only if you utilize them properly. They're extremely not easy to program, and they're different. PC and 360 have a similar paradigm, and one that's been around for a while, while the PS3's was completely new and requires extra work over and above what's required for the other two platforms.

Some relevant GDC slides from Killzone 2, and I'm sure there's much more material out there (this is literally the first thing I got from Google): here

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2012, 23:06 Crustacean Soup

I'm usually one to tough out the first few episodes of a show if they're even the remotest bit interesting looking, but I gave up on this one about half-way through the first. Did it get any better, or did everyone else quit too?  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Announced
7. Re: Assassin's Creed III Announced Mar 5, 2012, 23:45 Crustacean Soup

I'll definitely go for this, but I'll be more wary about the inevitable unnumbered sequels that follow it. Revelations was completely skippable. I liked Brotherhood, so that was a disappointment.  

News Comments > Day 1 Tease - New MechAssault?
11. Re: Day 1 Tease - New MechAssault? Feb 17, 2012, 23:55 Crustacean Soup

Bah, MechAssault was fun. As a cheap XBLA game (with limited-to-no single player)? I'd consider it. If they try to make a full release out of it, no. There's simply not enough to it to justify that purchase.

Do want a real mech game though.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 15, 2012, 02:53 Crustacean Soup

Uh, yeah [H] guys, what's so unbelievable about this? Software to remove moving objects from scenes already exists.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway
19. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 13, 2012, 01:09 Crustacean Soup

space captain wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 23:43:
panbient wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 09:01:
For myself I gave it a month, I have yet to figure out a way to play it and consistently have fun. The potential is definitely there, which is probably why I keep going back every once in a while, but I'm not ready to fold Tribes:Ascend back into my daily gaming mix.

if you are concerned about getting kills, you should be playing TDM primarily... it is non-stop combat, the maps are tiny and there is hardly an idle second

it will improve your combat skills much quicker than CTF

The skills you get from TDM don't transfer well to CTF, though. Movement, positioning, and map awareness are less important. The roles don't exist as they're defined in CTF; there's no defenders, there's no crazy suicidal fractal-grenade-running brutes, there's no juggernauts trying to take out / distract your flag D, there's no chasing, there's no sniping incoming cappers (what with there being no incoming cappers).

The basic concept of aiming at and shooting an enemy is nothing to pick up at all. The rest of it can't be learnt effectively in TDM. Even just the basics of jetpacking and skiing aren't as strictly required, and a lot of players who play TDM (from my short experience in it) don't seem to grasp the concepts well enough that you have to exercise them to keep up.

News Comments > BAFTA Audience Award Voting
14. Re: BAFTA Audience Award Voting Feb 10, 2012, 01:26 Crustacean Soup

I played Batman on DX11, but after the patches (I only beat it a week or two ago). Framerate dropped noticeably but not game-killingly in some areas outdoors (namely, in a couple alleys where riddler trophies were; NOT up in the air or during fights), but the game was otherwise extremely solid on my 6950. I don't know how it was at launch.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Beta Patch
4. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 00:54 Crustacean Soup

See, I don't like the microtransaction thing, but at least these guys are (otherwise) listening to their players and not living in some sort of bubble. Can't say I disagree with any of the balancing changes right now.

Added minor damage falloff to projectile-based automatic and semi-automatic weapons.

FINALLY. Not sure it's going to be enough, but it's a start. The Tech SMG seems to have (have had) way too far an effective range for what it is. That whole class is a PITA. The doom CG is also super annoying.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 9, 2012, 01:38 Crustacean Soup

Login should be two-factor. Just send an email or an SMS, like Steam and Gmail do.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront III Outed?
6. Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Outed? Feb 8, 2012, 01:07 Crustacean Soup

It's going to end up being saddled with New Trilogy stuff. Even if it's an otherwise good game, this makes me

I 'liked' Battlefront 1 and 2, but I could only play them for maybe a day or two total before getting bored (both were rents on the Xbox). They were repetitive: the games played the same way every time. They were linear: there was no room for experimentation, creativity, strategy, tactics, thought. And they were dead easy, with nowhere to go once you picked up the mechanics.

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday
52. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 18:13 Crustacean Soup

Dev wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 17:34:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 15:25:
Dev wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 14:01:
Not quite. PAE can allow up to 64 gigs in 32 bit.
Not on Windows it can't, though. They don't enable PAE unless you have a server version.
Again, not quite. Windows XP (and others) you could enable it as a boot option (such as in boot.ini). Vista and 7 have it enforced disabled for licensing reasons (although I've heard there's a kernel patch to bypass it).
Okay, they let you use PAE in XP, but it's still restricted to 4 GB addressable RAM maximum on non-server editions. It's not set in stone, but it is artificially restricted by Microsoft.

But yeah, it's still not a limiting restriction right now. On a 64-bit system, a LAA 32-bit executable can address up to 4 GB of virtual memory, and I don't know of any games that go that far. As far as memory goes, they only have to move to 64-bit when that starts becoming restrictive.

News Comments > Hold Your ME3 Save Games
7. Re: Hold Your ME3 Save Games Feb 4, 2012, 18:05 Crustacean Soup

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo