Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Crustacean Soup

Real Name Crustacean Soup   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2011, 01:04
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 56982

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
51. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 18:31 Crustacean Soup

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:29:
I may have to buy a new TV soon, and I'm already dreading the research for it.

I noticed that the new LG LCDs that replace the (terrific and reasonably-priced) TV I bought last year are significantly worse than the old models. It appears that they've been intentionally weakened to make LG's more expensive TVs more appealing.

Yeah, TV shopping can be a pain :\

swedishfriend wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 12:53:
4GB is plenty of memory. I was hoping for 2GB from the new generation. People complain about long load times now when they just have to fill 512MB of memory, get ready for load times 8 times as long (or will they have and SSD instead of a regular hard drive?).

The biggest issue with load times is the optical drive. The difference between loading times in Skyrim on my PC compared to the 360 on DVD is ridiculous, and I just have a plain HDD in here.

Loading from optical drives also forced the console game devs to use more RAM, as they had to buffer things more frequently and further ahead-of-time than you do on the PC. Hopefully Microsoft guarantees every SKU will have an HDD/SSD this time (as they did with the original Xbox), because that can only help.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 16, 2012, 21:59 Crustacean Soup

DG wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 19:42:
Damn, read the whole article then saw Dev could have saved me the bother

Bear in mind with the specs that consoles are a lot more efficient with CPU, GPU and RAM. The 360 only has 512mb.

As far as CPU and GPU go, you can write to an exact specification with a console, using CPU/GPU-specific hardware tricks and predictable timings to get what you can out of a game.

Memory is memory. All that matters is how much is available to the game. The 360 has only 512MB, and that's a big limitation, even if the system software leaves most of it for the game. It does force the game teams to be more efficient with it, since they can't spend memory willy-nilly, but that efficiency is because they're working with strict constraints, not because the console gives them anything special.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 22:32 Crustacean Soup

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 11:34:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 11:29:
I think John Carmack is on to something with VR head mounted display gaming, and the future...

The issue is really the distance - having your eyes look at something that close to them isn't very good for them and causes a good amount of fatigue.

You put them virtually farther out, then. Like a reflex sight, or the mirrors in an optometrist's office that artificially lengthen the room.

News Comments > Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer
11. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 16:50 Crustacean Soup

It's definitely not comparable content-wise with the DLCs. This adds new gameplay mechanics, a substantial number of units/buildings/techs, and has to rebalance everything to compensate (and apparently they're going for a very different feel for the combat), in addition to civilizations and scenarios. The DLCs were only new Civs and Scenarios/maps. There's no comparison. All that adding a Civ involves is creating the leader and UI artwork, and making sure the civ's perks aren't OP.  

News Comments > Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer
8. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 13:47 Crustacean Soup

ASeven wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 11:45:
Civ V is so, so underwhelming... It will easily go down as the worst Civ in the series.

And the price for this expansion is insane, compared to what is offering, which isn't that much. Even more outraging when you know "k hasn't fixed a ton of bugs in CivV.
$30 is insane?

They've added:
- new techs
- 27 units, 13 buildings, 9 wonders
- 3 scenarios
- 9 new civs/leaders, 2 new city-state types
- embassies, espionage
- religion
- melee sea units, embarked unit defense, embark stacking
- rebalanced combat, AI tweaks

Yeah, I'm fine with paying $30 for that. No doubt the price will drop in Steam sales for people who aren't.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend
9. Re: Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend Jun 13, 2012, 01:09 Crustacean Soup

eunichron wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:42:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:38:
What is "premium"? Is that like what Activision is doing with Call of Duty Elite or whatever it is?

Essentially it's $50 for all of the DLC (Karkand and Close Quarters, and the 3 as yet unreleased). There's also some cosmetic bonuses in game like weapon skins and a new knife model and dog tags, nothing that gives you an inherent advantage.

The biggest thing is getting the DLC, which would save you (I think) $25 over buying them all separately.

Which makes it practically an expansion pack. An expansion pack that you're paying for in-advance, but still an expansion pack. There's some outrage about it and I don't quite completely understand why.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week
11. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 11, 2012, 18:08 Crustacean Soup

Been hearing that this nerfs the hell out of the bullet weapons, which I would be super happy for. I've seen more people using the Falcon recently, and it's capable of taking you down within the time that it takes to fire two discs. A heavy might get three off.

I'd be happy if they just cut the bloody things out altogether, but at the very least they need to weaken them, increase the inertia inheritance, and slow the projectiles down. They're the only guns (excepting the rifle) that you can just point directly at the enemy and shoot without even taking inertia or travel time into account.

Edit: More spread too. Techs can eat my health from halfway across the map, when they're barely inside mortar range. There's no way to react to that, it's obnoxious.

And of course the plasma is almost as bad for speed, and worse for damage/splash...

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2012, 18:15.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 00:01 Crustacean Soup

Great, now we've got the 'not black enough' and the 'too black' complaints covered.  

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Revealed
25. Re: Star Wars 1313 Revealed Jun 1, 2012, 18:05 Crustacean Soup

Star Wars 1313 emphasizes epic set pieces

Good sign when this is mentioned before anything vaguely gameplay-related.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard Revealed
20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard Revealed May 31, 2012, 17:45 Crustacean Soup

Totally buying, but I'm not anywhere near the point where I need new quests, and I haven't even gotten around to creating a second (caster) character yet. The game is ridiculous. It's the first Elder Scrolls game that's really held my attention too.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 29, 2012, 23:11 Crustacean Soup

The bit about suing Gametrailers (and apparently getting a settlement of some sort out of them) just compounds the strangeness of this whole thing.  

News Comments > Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat
2. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 20:35 Crustacean Soup

I suppose it affects caster types more. My character does the Heavy Armor thing and relies on potions rather than spells. The only thing I don't like is that it's still 3rd person.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend
13. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 18:47 Crustacean Soup

MadBoris wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:53:
Crustacean Soup wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:18:
The thing I see new players potentially getting frustrated with more than anything is just movement. Skiing, jetting, and just moving constantly are all completely necessary, and completely alien to anyone who's only played "Modern Combat" FPSs. Newbies just don't do it. They stop to shoot, they walk along the ground, they have no idea how to build momentum.

Tribes has always had a learning curve. It takes weeks to really start seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes in this game. That is the fun.

I keep wishing for tiered MM, but people think it separates the player base, yet that is the point!

Atleast they have the videos and training grounds, if they use them.

I enjoy that, but a lot of people get frustrated with any learning curve at all. An F2P game with a real learning curve is an exceptional beast. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but something they need to help easily-frustrated players overcome somehow. I'll have to see how good a job the new videos do.

9. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 16:18 Crustacean Soup

The thing I see new players potentially getting frustrated with more than anything is just movement. Skiing, jetting, and just moving constantly are all completely necessary, and completely alien to anyone who's only played "Modern Combat" FPSs. Newbies just don't do it. They stop to shoot, they walk along the ground, they have no idea how to build momentum.  

7. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 15:51 Crustacean Soup

I'm quite happy with the $7 I paid during the Beta to grab the VIP status. No problem at all unlocking everything I care to unlock.

The game still needs balancing love. Plasma and whiteout grenades in arena are a gigantic PITA, and I still hate the bullet guns. Trying to clear a flag stand of defenders while three techs beam their weirdly-accurate SMGs at you from long range isn't awesome.

News Comments > Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Underway
16. Re: Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Underway May 25, 2012, 15:40 Crustacean Soup

Boston wrote on May 25, 2012, 01:20:
Yeah this is a good Civ game to play if you've never played one before and don't know how much better the previous games were.

Nah. I was very very slow to warm up to Civ 5, and completely dropped it until around April when I decided to really give it another chance. The game feels great now, and I'm looking forward to the expansion pack.

I really like how the Diplomacy works. Okay, sometimes the AI's motivations are difficult to understand, but the simple mechanic of denouncements and declarations of friendship are great little touches that make it seem so much more alive than other 4Xs. Unlike Civ 4, the AI don't seem to pester you every other turn for favours that end up souring your relationship when you refuse them all, they're usually a bit more opportunistic, and blocs seem to form more naturally.

I really don't mind the one-unit-per-tile thing, and the late game seems to drag a lot less than Civ 4's. It's definitely a departure from the previous games, and I still feel that Civ 4(+BTS) has something to offer. However, since I've played said game a lot, Civ 5's novelty is itself a big advantage.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots
22. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 02:09 Crustacean Soup

Blackhawk wrote on May 18, 2012, 01:21:
The interesting bit is that we're getting so close to photorealism that 'improved graphics' as a selling point is about to hit a wall. We'll reach a point at which graphics can't be improved noticeably, and the developers will have to find some other way to make their games stand out. Since nobody is going to buy based on sound, hopefully it will make them push content as their selling point.

We're not even at cinema-quality yet (and movie CG still doesn't look 'real'), never mind photorealistic.

News Comments > New Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta & Trailer
12. Re: New Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta & Trailer May 18, 2012, 02:06 Crustacean Soup

gilly775 wrote on May 17, 2012, 09:40:
Heh...stick it on Hard. You won't find it primitive.

The AI still seems to be kind of poor. I'm doing a game on hard. I've been ranked last militarily for most of the game (right up until I finally bursted), and positioned in the same star system as the AI who has been in the lead for most of the game, but none of the enemies have made any headway at all attacking me.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
82. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 15:53 Crustacean Soup

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 05:41:
Also, if you have a decent HoF, it's going to be really hard for lone cappers to make the grab. Mainly because the Super Heavy perk is so overpowered and will kill the capper if he collides with the HoF. Force-fields are also pretty effective at stopping cappers.

I've flag grabbed by skimming over a HoF's head. If he doesn't see you approaching (he's following another player, for instance), he might not hop up to block. I'm pretty sure I managed that without the Reach perk, and I'm not a great capper (my routes usually bring me in at around 200, up to 220). The forcefields are a great help against lone wolfs though, unless it's one of the very open-flag maps where they can be avoided.

Jackplug wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:13:
T:A has the physics is all wrong for a Tribes game. It seems that if you are travelling fast in one direction and then fly upwards off a ramp, then try to steer left you cant cos of the momentum and you fly away from you intended target. When playing Tribes 1, you had very good control when doing the same thing.

Useless none listening devs as usual, who noob the game so everyone can play it without having high learning curve..

The physics obviously aren't trying to straight-up ape Tribes 1 or 2, but I like the feeling nonetheless. There's enough control that you can manoeuvre around nicely, but not so much that it's dead easy.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 16:01.

4. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 13, 2012, 23:44 Crustacean Soup

Maybe it's only a major issue in NA servers, some cultural thing? I'm in Canada, I prefer low-ping servers.

I haven't been playing much BF3, but it was an issue in BF2, and I know others who have had problems recently with poorly-run servers in BF3.

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo