Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Crustacean Soup

Real Name Crustacean Soup   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2011, 01:04
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 56982

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Announces Optional Client
11. Re: GOG.com Announces Optional Client Jun 5, 2014, 19:00 Crustacean Soup

No dev-centric information yet?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - 1849
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - 1849 May 8, 2014, 22:03 Crustacean Soup

The 4:3 screenshots on Steam are... concerning, and the gameplay looks dead simple. I might investigate the mobile version though, always on the lookout for Android games that aren't horrible freemium messes.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Community Test Environment
9. Re: Battlefield 4 Community Test Environment May 8, 2014, 21:59 Crustacean Soup

I like the scare quotes. "Netcode" doesn't mean anything. Or more precisely, it's a vague term with different definitions that ends up being a means of describing perceptual issues with a networked game. Those issues can be anything, from rendering delays, to animation blending issues, to server simulation latency, to physics simulation inaccuracies, to server-client network latency, to simulation desynchronizations, and I could go on. And why those things might be problems is a whole story that's individual to every game.

But when you're dealing with a perceptual thing in a largely visual medium, players are going to... simplify. They're going to notice that things are wrong, but they're not going to always know why they notice that, or even if they do they're not going to know what's causing the symptoms they're noticing. So it all gets bundled up under "netcode" and forums broil, cities fall, empires crumble, Xenu blows up a few volcanoes....

News Comments > Fortnite Alpha Signups
16. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 9, 2014, 01:20 Crustacean Soup

Fantaz wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 18:38:
"At this time, you do not qualify for the Fortnite Alpha. Thank you so much for your interest."

WTF? what questions did you guys answer correctly to qualify? or is it U.S. only and not Canada?

I'm in Canada, answered truthfully, and got a "Thank you for signing up for the Fortnite Alpha. If you are chosen, we will notify you...", not a rejection.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
5. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 09:55 Crustacean Soup

He hasn't acknowledged the factors that created indies like us. They're new and powerful, making this not at all like the 80s.
- Steam, Youtube, and in the Internet in general, gives indies a promotional platform they never had before
- Likewise, Steam gives indies a distribution platform they never had before, letting them completely bypass the publishers. Sony and Microsoft also seem to be leaning that way with console digital distribution (and Nintendo?). With fewer people getting a cut, you don't need to sell as many copies...
- Content creation tools are better than ever, and instruction is available all over the Internet, making everyone more productive
- You no longer need an enormous team to create a great tool set, or a lot of capital to license one, when you can license freaking Unreal Engine 4 for $19/mo. (which, just adding to everything else, is a more complete and featureful package than ever before; likewise for the new Unity I'm sure)
- Modern engines and modern hardware are easier to program and build games for. The engines are laid out more sensibly, they use nice scripting languages, the hardware is a lot more powerful so you can get more out of them with less low-level fiddling

edit:
- Also, thanks to the Internet: Anyone can hire worldwide; anyone can work on remote, distributed teams

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2014, 10:12.

News Comments > Free BF4 Handgun Shortcut Kit
16. Re: Free BF4 Handgun Shortcut Kit Feb 18, 2014, 22:24 Crustacean Soup

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 22:22:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 21:51:
What? Who cares about bullet drop when you're ripping around like you can in this? Or is that some in-joke I'm missing?

Makes hitting crits on titans a total no brainer... i got a KD of 10+ in this and I am not a superb pro gamer. But I *can* aim perfectly when weapons are hit-scan

I am quake railgun master
Ah, in Titans. Yes, arc would have been nice. 40mm cannon is the only Titan weapon on PC, the other two are unnecessary when you can aim.

I just played again and hit someone using the magic pistol effectively. He also had a poor connection (120-200ms) and was meleeing me to death while several metres away on my screen (30-50ms), rendering the shotgun hopeless. I'm now a bit pissed.

13. Re: Free BF4 Handgun Shortcut Kit Feb 18, 2014, 21:51 Crustacean Soup

What? Who cares about bullet drop when you're ripping around like you can in this? Or is that some in-joke I'm missing?  

11. Re: Free BF4 Handgun Shortcut Kit Feb 18, 2014, 21:44 Crustacean Soup

DangerDog wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 21:35:
It's a fast shooter like unreal tournament or quake.
There has to be a way you can do more with the game mode of a faster speed game though, beyond team deathmatch and friends. Deathmatch is great and all, but I've been playing it since Doom 2. Titanfall's Hardpoint mode barely gets beyond that.

And yes, the lack of destruction itself is not bothering me. I don't know that I would want extensive destruction in this game, and lack of cosmetic destruction I can easily look past. The game needs something dynamic though.

8. Re: Free BF4 Handgun Shortcut Kit Feb 18, 2014, 21:04 Crustacean Soup

I've been enjoying Titanfall. It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it runs well, looks good enough, and the first-person animations and camera animations are good.

The issue I'm having is the lack of variety in the current maps -- there's two of them in the beta, and they play out about the same way every single time. The movement is great fun, but it has the effect of basically flattening out the maps, so that Conquest just doesn't work. It works in Battlefield because there's back-and-forth pushing, but you can just parkour everywhere in Titanfall and bypass all of that.

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:54:
Static map. Bigger than most COD maps, smaller than most 64 player BF maps, manages to feel empty with just 12 people. Mechs are more useful if you set them to auto-guard an area or follow you than if you actually pilot it yourself. The auto-pistol is BULLSHIT. Pure console gun that is WAY overpowered on the PC.

Crowded maps wouldn't work with the movement system, but it's not even a little hard to find other pilots to kill, as long as you're moving constantly. Team Deathmatch is maybe another matter, but Hardpoint focuses everything more than enough.

The magic pistol is obnoxious to get killed by. It has some distinct disadvantages though, I haven't really had any problems with other players using it. I can even take auto-pistol users out at mid-range with my shotgun before they can lock on.

If anything, I feel like the shotgun is the absurdly useful one. I haven't found any reason to use any other gun. Activate stim pack, run in, shoot the enemies at point blank...

Still, fun. There aren't many modern FPSs that I can enjoy this much, they're all so serious and samey. (edit) It may be the type of fun that won't last too long because of that lack of variety, so whether I'll buy the game is another matter.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2014, 21:21.

News Comments > Steam Adds Discoverability Options
5. Re: Steam Adds Discoverability Options Feb 7, 2014, 21:32 Crustacean Soup

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 19:34:
AFAIK, if you're seeing Payday 2 announcements in your Activity feed, that means you joined their community group. If you don't want to see them, then quit the group.
That's how it works. You also get pop-ups when they make announcements. Otherwise, you'll just see the announcements in the hub.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 22, 2014, 22:01 Crustacean Soup

The Barracuda article includes a description of the exploit, the URLs involved, the affected browser, a link to the CVE page for the exploit involved, and a packet capture. I don't know what more you want from them.

Who uses 32-bit IE 10 or below? I'm sure a lot of businesses do, and Cracked is a nice site to view while bored at work...

News Comments > EA Paying for YouTube Love
31. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 21:49 Crustacean Soup

Still don't get that bandwagon. The new start menu is nonsensical (but the search still works), Metro is useless, and I miss the glass effect, but it's otherwise more or less just like Windows 7 from the desktop side. There are plenty of ways to fairly criticize it (e.g. it haphazardly throws two different, incomplete, totally separate UIs together and tries to claim that it seamlessly merges Desktop and Mobile), but the rabid naysayers just come off as being as silly as console warriors.  

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Jan 12, 2014, 14:42 Crustacean Soup

But blocking and hitting are not highly directional and don't require a high degree of interaction. Auto attacks and abilities happen over a largish arc with instananeousish hits like every other MMO. And I can't remember doing anything like Skyrim's power attacks / shield bashes to break blocks.

Stepping back from ESO in particular, do you recognize how Skyrim's combat differs from a typical MMORPG's (say, WoW), or even a typical MOBA?

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Jan 12, 2014, 12:22 Crustacean Soup

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 12:06:
Pet peeve: "The combat system is terrible" yet no one ever says what an awesome combat system is. I have been playing games since a Commodore 64 and friend's Atari's. Please enlighten me on what a good/great combat system is. I am truly interested, considering I have played THOUSANDS of games across every single console and platform - and honestly, the combat is normal style combat just like all the other games of this type.

Thanks.

Bats.

Yes, I think "like all the other games of this type" is the problem. It doesn't play like an ES game.

At PAX East, the melee character played like an MMO character: keep autoattacking, occasionally press a spell button. In Skyrim blocking is fairly directional, you can break enemy blocks, strike multiple enemies at once, and you can even miss attacks since they're tighter and more manually-directed than in an MMO. Not so in ESO.

Did this change?

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Freedom Cry DLC Tomorrow
12. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Freedom Cry DLC Tomorrow Dec 16, 2013, 19:57 Crustacean Soup

Maybe it's because it's the fourth (uh, fifth? Fifth and a half?) Assassin's Creed I've played, but yeah, it was extremely easy. I kind of enjoyed being able to basically run straight through a plantation killing every guard with ease, but I was hoping for some sort of challenge. I was also hoping they'd flesh the naval side out more over AC3, but that didn't so much happen. At least they stopped grabbing the camera at every opportunity.

I followed the story well enough and the ending didn't seem to come out of nowhere. The real-world side of it was pretty silly and didn't amount to much though.

Did anyone spend any amount of time in "Kenway's Fleet"? Why does that even exist?

News Comments > Open-World Star Wars Game Clues
8. Re: Open-World Star Wars Game Clues Nov 30, 2013, 13:37 Crustacean Soup

It's an interesting studio to do a Star Wars title. There's some other stuff that happens there, but EAC in Burnaby is mostly centered around sports titles (among things, FIFA and NHL are made there), and was the home of the late Black Box (Need For Speed, Skate)  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 15:39 Crustacean Soup

Kosumo wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:57:
Totally enjoying Blackflag. Never played or seen a AC game before this one (I'm a big Pirates! fan form back in the amiga days).

Been singing sea shanty while in the shower!

Singing Sally Brown is the one ....
How is the ship stuff? What's the balance of ship stuff to not ship stuff? I have played the other ACs, and the melee combat looks pretty much the same as the others, so it's the ships I'm interested in.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 00:42 Crustacean Soup

Axis wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 23:14:
That's the greatest thing I've ever read in a looong time, you guys just paid for an open source box
PS4 isn't an open game console just because it uses a kernel derived from FreeBSD. The BSD license lets you close your derivative software down as much as you like.

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS?
5. Re: Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS? Nov 17, 2013, 12:49 Crustacean Soup

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:19:
Locking the fps of a PC version makes absolutely no sense to me.
They set up the engine with the assumption of a fixed time per frame because they targeted consoles first. That's not rare for console games, but it's pretty bizzare in a PC port.

Everything playing at a solid 60Hz is probably my favorite part of playing multiplatform titles on the PC, never mind the increased resolution and everything else. :\

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2013, 23:06 Crustacean Soup

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 11:34:
Haven't noticed anything on my build, but I've only been running it for a day or so.

It'll get better. One thing I did notice is that the update decided to downgrade my video drivers. I noticed that nVidia 3d decided to turn itself on, went to turn it off and upon further investigation found that 320.xx drivers were installed vs. my previous 331.40 betas.
I didn't check the driver version, but 3D kicked itself on for me too. Weird. That's the only issue I had with 8.1, and I didn't even realize it was tied to 8.1 until now.

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo