Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for djinn

Real Name djinn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname djinn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 14, 2011, 23:07
Total Comments 165 (Novice)
User ID 56937

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic
15. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic Mar 6, 2015, 19:02 djinn

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 16:36:
Awww, that's so sweet. Do you think one of you girls could reach into your purse past your tampons and get me a tissue.

Laugh2

lol. Yea, up yours too

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic
6. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic Mar 6, 2015, 14:18 djinn

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 14:12:
I thought this was both beautiful and entertaining.

Agree. Kinda like how Epic (and some other devs) are getting a bit more daring in how they present their stuff, instead of the macho crap we've been getting drowned in for the past few decades.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
45. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 04:54 djinn

chickenboo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 21:08:
Before digital delivery services, I remember gaming magazines (and myself) griping about the high price of games and how much of that price was due to publisher fees, delivery fees, and shelving fees. Part of the idea of digital delivery services was to cut out the middlemen between the gamer and the developer, to cut out the publishing costs, shipping costs, and shelf costs, of games so gamers could enjoy lower prices and stop supporting annoying store fronts. I think on balance, Steam and services like it have been a massive boon to PC gaming. OTOH, hearing about their 30% up-front fee makes it sound as if all those cost-cutting gains have been lost. We've merely replaced several middle-men with one middleman.
I'm not anti-Steam by any means, and I'm glad to see Steam investing in new technology with their profits rather than mailing them off to shareholders. Also, I expect competition among content delivery services to be beneficial, provided they avoid making exclusive zones - the way Origin does (I may buy FC3 from Ubi but I want to play it with Steam, not their dumb software.)
Case in point, if you buy PoE from Obsidian's website, it's $44.99, but on Steam it's $49.99. So I'm paying $5 to activate it on Steam? hmmmmmm...

Not sure if I'm remembering this wrong, but weren't the retail stores throwing a hissy fit over steam considering game releases at a discount when they first opened?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
27. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 15:27 djinn

Pigeon wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 11:14:
RPS: Yes, but you know that. Youíve been working in the industry for over thirty years, you know how much money it costs to make a game and you put a specific amountĖ

Peter Molyneux: No, I donít, I disagree John. I have no idea how much money it costs to make a game and anyone that tells you how much itís going to cost to make a game which is completely a new experience is a fool or a genius.

RPS: But you have to have enough experience to know the basics of budgeting a videogame, youíve been doing it for thirty years!

Peter Molyneux: No, I disagree. See this is where youíre wrong....

Popcorn

Being in the industry for 30 years has some merit, but for completely new experiences I agree with him. Sometimes things that sound great on paper just don't work out in practice and that's when contingency comes in. Production and schedules sure, the 30 years comes in handy, but the creative part can be a right pita sometimes.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer
15. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 15:17 djinn

I don't know about you guys, but I thought the music for this trailer belonged on the Just Cause 3 trailer and vice versa. Maybe I'm too traditional.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Grow Home
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Grow Home Feb 4, 2015, 21:23 djinn

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 20:19:
If your home is in the sky, you got to get high if you want to get back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blz5cie1xf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOkg_rGQhPc

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE DDoS
2. Re: QUAKE LIVE DDoS Jan 30, 2015, 17:04 djinn

Jivaro wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 16:42:
*facepalm*

What an accomplishment. Whomever has done this must be super proud of themselves. /sarcasm

Another kid got his ass handed to him and couldn't handle it.

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
15. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 15:59 djinn

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:31:
Then again, Discovery is turning into a steaming pile of crap like A&E did.

Like National Geographic. MTV clones of the former MTV channel that ended up not playing music.

On the other hand I assume this is pre-marketing for some forthcoming info on the next Doom.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
21. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 12:01 djinn

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 11:12:
My PC is dead anyways. My wife got me nice new slippers for Christmas and they tend to build up a nice static charge. I walked up to my PC and when I reached for the power button, I shocked it somehow before I even touched it and it killed my machine.

I think your wife might be an evil genius.

News Comments > Hellblade for PC Revealed; May Support 4K, Mods
3. Re: Hellblade for PC Revealed; May Support 4K, Mods Jan 8, 2015, 17:11 djinn

Alamar wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 16:50:
Dragon Age: Inq was at 5FPS, but disabling aliasing upped it to ~15... Playable, but not nearly ideal... Might pick up a 970 (potentially SLI) or 980 though.

Is there any need for anti-aliasing at 4k?

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer Quest
6. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer Quest Jan 7, 2015, 16:50 djinn

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 16:25:
grudgebearer wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:58:
This is a port of the iOS game that was terribly monetized. New characters cost money...missions cost money...skill slots cost money...equipment for your characters cost money...

Wow, makes you wonder why they even bother.

Games Workshop needs a good old fashioned forehand. How they could mess up these franchises is beyond me. Especially when Blizzard basically poaches from them and makes it work.

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
25. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 19:38 djinn

What part of Origin do you work on?

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
89. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 31, 2014, 11:08 djinn

NKD wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 07:41:
It's not some never-ending slippery slope that inevitably leads to the breakdown of all laws and complete anarchy in the streets dude.

Certainly not a linear line from the beginning of history no. I meant in terms of a single society from the point it becomes noticeable to their eventual failure. Hence a 50 to 100 year time frame, as I think it's a bit alarmist at this stage to say we're on the edge of collapse, especially on a topic based on a single game.

But, it should be fairly clear to everyone that at the moment we're constantly challenging old moral codes and the question was, where does it end for us? Thinking ahead like this isn't a bad thing. But you made some good points, which gives me something to think about anyway.

@Harlock. On your question regarding why I'm not concerned about "real" factors that affect people like pollution etc, well, how do know I'm not?

News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
17. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 31, 2014, 00:07 djinn

Sho wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:19:
Signal processing boner.

Also, visually reminds me of the fun I used to have with NPRQuake 15 years ago:

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/sketchScreen.jpg
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/brushScreen.jpg

This is all pre shaders so it was pretty nifty at the time, especially as a student project.

The lead dev is a senior software architect at Pixar today, so it worked out for him, too.

Wow, nice!

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
80. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 21:09 djinn

Prez wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 20:49:
turn off enough of your potential market with your gratuitous sex, violence, Gore, torture, rape, or whatever and the game dies and that type of game is not attempted again. At least for a while.

At least for a while. For me personally, that's the key issue. It's an ever changing line that doesn't go back and forth. It continues in the same direction, being pushed further and further back. Does anyone ask themselves where it will end? 50 or 100 years down the line? No moral posturing or attempt to censor here. Just trying to project where it could end up in the worst case, long term scenario.

13. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 30, 2014, 09:27 djinn

Quboid wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 09:18:
What does it do? "those annoying le reddit, fedora, m'lady type of comments on YouTube should be removed" - what does that mean? Does it hide YouTube comments based on key words? Does it hide comments based on the user's own criteria? Is it just a way of pretending people you disagree with don't exist?

He hides based on account number. Apparently they go through a number of different data points to remove all those "hilarious" comments from reddit. You'll be left with the usual cesspool, but at least you don't have to scroll through additional loads of garbage to get to the occasional useful post.

11. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 30, 2014, 06:46 djinn

Sepharo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 02:18:
Use the Chrome extension Hide Fedora, you won't regret it.

Why? You'll miss out on the oh so hilarious berta posts...

/s

News Comments > Eye Occilations and Framerate
11. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 26, 2014, 17:23 djinn

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/02/douglas-trumbull-hobbit-frame-speed/

Interesting potential approach using variable frame rates.

8. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 26, 2014, 09:35 djinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 08:34:
If that is really a 2nd uncanny valley then that must be a vastly more complex thing than the uncanny valley for mimic/facial features/body expressions.

I wonder if that's because there's a combination of subjective and objective perceptions in terms of 48fps for film than replicating a realistic face, which is almost entirely objective?

Games and vr are interesting too. In terms of just blur, I think object motion blur almost always makes the animated character look more believable, whereas I don't know anyone that enjoys the experience of screen blur (in an fps at least). Maybe because games are active and not passive? Your direct control over the camera is more a replication of how your eyes move, snapping from one focal point to another as opposed to panning widely like a cam on a tripod. Will be interesting to see how it works out in the next decade or so.

5. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 26, 2014, 07:37 djinn

Fion wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 23:01:
24 FPS looks 'cinematic' and 48/60 look 'video-y' because video camcorders, go-pros, cell phone cameras, etc shoot at a higher framerate. Movies/TV shot at those framerates look more real, there's less potential for suspension of disbelief, and as eRe4s3r said, CG animation cannot look as believable below that.

If the movie industry converted today there would be a lot of growing pains but 10 years later the first movie to come out at 24 fps again would look terrible to everyone.

Good looking CG isn't dependent on framerate. It's entirely dependent on the animator, the lighting artist and the compositor. The problem these days is that many movies are employing cheaper studios to do the work for them.

I also don't think it's a case of "getting used to it". There was a strong reaction for a reason. In an attempt to look more real it had the opposite effect, so there must be something else we're missing.

Maybe the lowered blur in higher frame rates/shutter is the issue? Wave your hand in front of your face and focus on something in the background. There's plenty of blur there. But as with trying to represent anything on a 2d surface there's the issue of not knowing what your eye is focused on. This is information that you obviously can't compensate for on a cinema or tv screen, which may be the reason that lower frame rates/shutter end up being the closest compromise. Guessology though. Maybe I should read the article?

[edit] from the article. "Some readers of this article have suggested that this is all an artifact of motion-blur Ė double the frame rate, half the motion-blur, and you naturally get twice the sharpness.

It may play a part Ė though Iím not sure it plays a large one Ė The Hobbit, the shutter was set to 1/64th of a second. For regular movies? The shutter exposes for 1/48th of a second. Thatís not halving; half the motion blur of 24 fps film would require an exposure time of 1/96th of a second. So I suspect that motion blur isnít the whole story here."

Problem here is it may be more like an uncanny valley effect where if the slightest thing is off, the whole illusion comes down.

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2014, 08:22.

165 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo