Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for djinn

Real Name djinn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname djinn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 14, 2011, 23:07
Total Comments 61 (Suspect)
User ID 56937

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 10, 2014, 19:24 djinn

Letterman was great. I hope Colbert drops the fake persona and becomes a bit more "real" for the show.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed
4. Re: New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed Mar 29, 2014, 18:09 djinn

Rossafur wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 15:04:
hackers...

Hackers? Wasn't that the main delay getting the early access out in the first place? Restructuring network architecture or something along those lines?

[edit] nevermind. watching latest frankie vid now. :/

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
42. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 19:06 djinn

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 18:36:
My point is, when some company takes over an entire market like that, it serves well to remind ourselves what they COULD do with their awesome power, compared to what they're actually doing.

Great question and precisely why I avoid FB like the plague.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
108. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 06:47 djinn

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 04:40:
Plenty of KS projects have ended in people getting fucked over with no recourse.

Not saying KS is any sort of investment platform, but this type of outcome isn't exactly new on Wall Street either.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 13, 2014, 06:01 djinn

"When Do Memes Stop Being Funny."

From inception.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2014, 22:32 djinn

Morga wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 20:08:
Bitcoin does not require central banks, it has a finite supply (not based on debt)

Isn't bitcoin infinitely divisible, negating any idea of limited supply?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Having lost $468 million in bitcoins, MtGox files for bankruptcy protection. Feb 28, 2014, 19:31 djinn

Frijoles wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 17:28:
LittleMe wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:47:
Maybe the time to buy is now while the market is in shock from this.

I thought the same thing. Then I remembered that buying bitcoins with cash is a pain in the ass. Lemme do it through Paypal and I'll buy some.

First coders that come up with an easy to use platform for trading will earn a fortune.

I just can't trust these things and may regret it in the long run. Then again, money isn't everything.

[edit] grammar

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2014, 19:47.

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
12. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 18, 2014, 19:18 djinn

Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:49:
Wow, that seems kinda... harsh? Guys make a very succesful game, and then because Ken Levine wants to make a smaller studio, everyone else gets sacked?

Thanks, Ken Levine?

Thought the same. Wasn't there another way he could have passed the baton on to someone else and kept the studio together? If it's only 15 people he's moving on with it seems like an odd decision to axe the rest. Maybe there's more to it? Then again, maybe not.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
21. Re: Thief Trailer Feb 11, 2014, 16:51 djinn

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 13:20:
When your main character is a thief, you often have to go above and beyond to make it clear he's not the bad guy and not just some dick taking shit from other people.

Like the Ubisoft ip legal team?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2014, 06:39 djinn

mag wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 01:28:
A selling point for many of the PVPers is probably playing with people that don't want to PVP, but don't have any recourse if they want to play the game. If they all leave and go to co-op servers, who are all of the gankers going to gank.

Not necessarily. After changing play style (to kos) some of the most fun I've had has been hunting down the experienced bandits. It's hard work and doesn't always pay off, but when it does it's very satisfying. There's no fun at all in killing new guys, or obvious friendlies as there's no challenge.

Again, this is in modified versions of the mod only. The standalone is way too slow at the moment for the sort of time investment needed to experience this imo.

News Comments > Evolve Teases Tuesday Reveal
3. Re: Evolve Teases Tuesday Reveal Feb 9, 2014, 17:30 djinn

Bandwidth put to good use...  

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 17:15 djinn

Only way to play is to kill on sight. To play any other way will just become frustrating. But I agree, they need private server options for the standalone eventually, so people can tailor it to certain tastes.  

News Comments > John Carmack on Leaving id
26. Re: John Carmack on Leaving id Feb 5, 2014, 08:30 djinn

Timmeh wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:56:
This site has more clueless douche bags than any other place i visit on the internet.

There's always room for one more. Welcome to the club!

News Comments > Steam Music Beta Nears
5. Re: Steam Music Beta Nears Feb 3, 2014, 20:11 djinn

Hm... looking at their music library list. They got Amon Tobin, but no Abba. What's up with that?  

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 3, 2014, 04:03 djinn

siapnar wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 11:55:
So, to anyone who plays Day Z.. how frequent are interesting encounters akin to the ones seen in youtube vids?
It looks incredibly fun at times, but I feel like there's a hell of a lot of boredom in between.

Depends. With the mod there are a lot of private hives that have better balance, at least imo. They adjust the layout, have spawn locations, add more weapons, have fully repaired vehicles, a start pistol like vanilla used to have etc. While it's not quite the same game, it suits my time investment better. On some servers you can get up and running in 20 minutes or less.

The standalone has gone too much into micro management. I guess that's the game he wants to make, but it isn't the one I want to play. Finding someone with the same blood type as you for a transfusion, along with the multiple implements you need to perform one is just one example.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated "M"
48. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated Jan 23, 2014, 14:41 djinn

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:05:
Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:03:
Hahah you played on Men of God, didn't you? I used to love listening to those wackos try to convert random CoD teenagers who would unleash a verbal abuse that would make a sailor raise an eyebrow.

It was fun though, it is a really weird sensation of listening to these guys talking about god and stuff while shooting the shit out of each other in CoD

If a person can separate fantasy from reality I don't see the problem. The violence isn't real after all.

[edit] This game looks terrible. What's with the effects overload?

News Comments > Boxing Day Legal Briefs
5. Re: Boxing Day Legal Briefs Dec 27, 2013, 06:39 djinn

Fantaz wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 17:52:
in other news, Taiwan is evil to fine $666k. mark of the devil.

The Apple 1 sold for $666. If it wasn't a coincidence that 20 million Taiwan dollars come to $666000 I'd have said they were having a laugh.

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
36. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 20:03 djinn

Panickd wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:42:
When mods are required to fix a game that is itself a mod, that's just plain bad design.

Agree. They've already taken it too far into grind territory. Some of the private hives have better design timing overall. Setup in a way that gives you a good couple hour session without the endless grind of vanilla.

13. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:22 djinn

Panickd wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:57:
Frijoles wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:21:
I played the Arma II version when it first came out. Other players were more of a threat than the zombies. I recall them removing any sort of negative punishment for killing other players, to make it more realistic. Is that still the case?

Beyond the "bandit" clothes was there ever any real punishment for being a dick in DayZ? No. And there still isn't beyond other players hunting down the dick in question which hardly ever happens. DayZ is what happens when you let people play to their basest instincts in game form. Even the people who would usually be friendly have a shoot first mentality because to not do so is to repeat hours of belly crawling for the basic needs of your survival. It gets old fast and isn't worth $10 let alone $30.

Vanilla gets old very fast. Looks like standalone adds even more tedium than the original (shoes wearing out?). Private hives and the mod community have been tweaking the rules and loot spawn to much better ratios in my opinion. Haven't played vanilla since last year.

11. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:15 djinn

I only recently met one person who was friendly and that was first guy in about 12 months.

I bitched about the lack of friendlies for so long and eventually capitulated and became a bandit. Basically everyone shoots on sight now.

However once you get that and accept it, it actually wasn't as bad as it seemed. Still think it would be better to have stronger deterrents for bandits though, just to make the concept of them fit the game world more. 99% of people just murdering for no reason makes no sense at all.

[edit] I see a design flaw here too. If everyone devolves into bandits and you get a little humanity for killing a bandit, wont it reach some sort of equilibrium for the humanity value in the long term?

61 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo