Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dagnamit

Real Name Dagnamit   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 30, 2011, 02:52
Total Comments 479 (Amateur)
User ID 56435
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
12. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 4, 2015, 00:09 Dagnamit
Kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 23:50:
siapnar wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 23:31:
Kxmode, you certainly expend a lot of energy analyzing a game you clearly despise

Because SC is the only game with the capacity to damage the crowdfunding / early access model for other indie game developers in addition to harming the rebirth of the PC space sim genre.

I am currently backing about a half-dozen projects like Shroud of the Avatar, Everspace, Exoplanet: First Contact, Project: Gorgon, Descent: Underground, Castle Story, Kerbal Space Program, GRIP (backed on KS, planing on rebacking when it's on Steam Early Access), and others. So of course I have a vested interest in Star Citizen.

All of my points establish a pattern of behavior of CIG's decision makers that border on fraud. Involving some form of legal action so that people know what's happening at CIG financially is the first step towards establishing laws or rules to protect Backers AND companies alike.

As Michael Corleone says, "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business." This isn't a personal thing. I'm backing other games and I don't want CIG's shenanigans to risk their projects.

you need to stop spending money on things that don't exist. you clearly can't control yourself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
42. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 16:02 Dagnamit
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:23:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:33:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:35:
I really enjoy this game!
It figures that you'd like a casual game like this whilst zealously bashing Star Citizen, a game with depth.

Let the hate flow through you, encompassing another thread.

The only depth in star citizen vaporware is the seemingly bottomless pockets of a few cool-aid gulping supporters.

Hey! I resemble that remark, except for the bottomless pockets part.
News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
7. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 11:04 Dagnamit
Desalus wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:42:
From what I gather from the reviews the biggest complaint is that the game gets repetitive rather quickly and it has a few technical issues. I find it hard to believe that those complaints warrant the 50/100 score from Polygon however. I'd like to see how that reviewer rates MMORPGs (which are the the epitome of repetitive).

JC2 was repetitive as all get out, right down to the cut scenes and missions, but the variety of approaches to deal with the same problem were so vast that it really didn't detract. I wonder if he did quick up against the deadline kind of review.
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February
12. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February Aug 31, 2015, 12:52 Dagnamit
"We’re thrilled to announce Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will launch February 23rd March 29th April 12th, 2016!"  
News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
61. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 08:23 Dagnamit
Drayth wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 17:38:
25 in and the comments section is already out doing it's usual self.

I'm going to start referring to the commenters as SCJWs, Star Citizen Justice Warriors, because this game is obviously a rip-off and there's no debating it so shut up.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2015, 08:34.
News Comments > HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed
9. Re: HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed Aug 28, 2015, 12:32 Dagnamit
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 10:20:
My primary concern with all of these VR headsets coming out isn't resolution/refresh rate. Those things will constantly improve over time. The first headsets need to be sure to NOT cause motion sickness, that's the absolute most important part. Make someone sick once, they'll never use it again and they'll warn their friends against it. So the resolution is lower than we'd want, because it has to work on less-than-stellar video cards to sell enough to gain traction.

But none of that is really news. What no one seems to be talking about is interoperability. With what...5 different headsets coming out, is there a standard for the interface? Or will SOME games work with the Valve headset, and a completely different set of games with with the Rift, and ANOTHER set only works with the Razer headset...

I see it like when 3D accelerators first came out. Sure, 3DFX cards were the king of the hill, but for a while there, SOME games had a 3DFX patch, and others had PowerVR patches, but very rarely did one game have both. There were other contenders as well, and it made for a splintered market. DirectX came along and solved all that, making it a just required people to run their games in windows, not DOS. I didn't like the overhead windows added, but the benefits of directX could not be denied.

Currently, I sincerely doubt these headset makers are agreeing on a standard. They're all funding different projects so they can brag about having a must-have game ONLY in VR on THEIR headset. Because they're only interested in selling THEIR headset, NOT the sustainability of VR as a standard.

Does anyone recall seeing a single article about compatability? Not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously hoping I somehow have missed that happening.

Why would there need to be standardization from the outset? The software and experience is ONLY thing that differentiates them because the tech will likely be close to identical. These companies are in competition in the market. The market will speak to which standard is chosen. Once someone wins, the others will pile on and then try to innovate for increased market share, or bow out. Remember we're talking about products that haven't even been released yet. It's too early for a call to standardize.
News Comments > Rocket League OS X and SteamOS Plans
1. Re: Rocket League OS X and SteamOS Plans Aug 27, 2015, 20:02 Dagnamit
Woot! Not bad coming home to a free game. Already not regretting my steamlink preorder.  
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2015, 16:27 Dagnamit
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 12:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 11:06:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 10:29:
Who the hell would work in such an Orwellian environment? Are you an employee or property?

And privacy is a thing, Just because I leave my door open or the windows unblinded that's not an invitation for anyone to walk in or start looking through the windows in earnest. The reason we need privacy laws is precisely because some people don't understand that it's a thing and need to be made to understand that.

You have to create barriers to protect your privacy (blinds for example ,p). Just by doing nothing to protect your own privacy you cede more and more of it until you left with no privacy.... So privacy is not a "thing" that you can grab and carry. It is a process that you have to constantly maintain by action and that you lose more and more by mere non-action.

Aside that I agree with you

No, because there's a differnce between someone walking by looking in your window and a peeping Tom standing out there with binoculars looking in. That's why we created laws against voyeurism and it's considered an invasion of privacy. Otherwise we'd all have to live in virtual prisons with 20 ft high walls around our property. It's a very tangible thing. Same as why the cops can't - aren't supposed to at any rate - shake you down for no reason. Privacy ain't nothin' but a thang! Beatnik

I disagree. There's no difference between the casual passersby and the peeping tom in that situation in regard to the homeowner's privacy. The laws are there because the peeping tom's behavior is considered inappropriate by society, and for safety reasons, but not because of privacy. The burden is on the homeowner to protect their privacy. Cover the windows.
News Comments > Mad Max Commercial
9. Re: Mad Max Commercial Aug 24, 2015, 15:03 Dagnamit
harlock wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 13:08:
havent seen it yet becuase i suspected all the HYPE!! was overblown and false... kinda sucks

its really hard to top OG road warrior or mad max

same with this ghostbusters shit

I feel the hype was deserved. It's easily the best film (and I mean film, not movie) I've seen this year. It utterly succeeds in what it intended to do. There's plenty of story for what it is (a chase movie) and they drop you right into a world with zero backstory (other than what you think you know already) and, most importantly, zero exposition dialogue. It's a film that shows and doesn't tell. The visuals and stunt work are simply incredible. The whole thing is totally bonkers and exciting from beginning to end. I loved it. Give it a shot.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2015, 09:45 Dagnamit
Yup, also 10GB of text is an enormous amount of information. Let's see if anything really interesting comes out.

However, if anyone was using that website also used an email address that was known to your S.O. and also used your real name, you were playing with fire there, son.
News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 13, 2015, 21:38 Dagnamit
I don't care what they put in this game as long as I can shoot a guy in the dick with a pea shooter 30 times in a row in slow motion.  
News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
15. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 12:49 Dagnamit
Loot system is intriguing. Diablo 2 in space would be... interesting. Just imagine some of the crazy modifiers you could come up with. I mean it would destroy any semblance of balance, but hey, I don't play this one in multi.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2015, 13:17 Dagnamit
walrus1 wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 12:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 12:12:
So... I found out last night that Netflix is showing ads now. It was for one of their new original shows, played when simply trying to access the page for one of their other ones (i.e. not when actually trying to view any episodes). What the fuck.
They've been doing that for a while now and sometimes the homepage is a giant ad for a Netflix original series when a new season or show comes out. Also House of Cards is filled to the rim with product placements. There have been rumors that they will start showing ads before streaming starts for awhile but I think they'll just increase the subscription fee first.

I hope so, I hate ads. Personally, I feel that Netflix streaming would be a decent deal at $15 or maybe $20 per month, but here's hoping it'll be just a small adjustment.
News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2015, 19:44 Dagnamit
NKD wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 19:33:
Warcraft movie isn't giving me much hope so far. For three years in a row now they've refused to put these trailers and footage they show online.

What are they hiding?

An unfinished movie. I would guess that it's heavily CGI'ed, so much so, that they can't even release clips of it until nearly complete. That has it's own issues. Too much CG is kinda blah. Though there's likely some comic con leakage on the way.

However, the director made Moon (a fantastic film) and Source Code (a good, not great, thriller), so I'm still optimistic about this one.
News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 08:57 Dagnamit
Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 08:29:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 07:53:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:59:
4 years. It took them a year to create the prototype demo that they showed at GDC and to angel investors, ventures and finally to crowdfunders on KickStarter. They started this project in 2011, officially announced it in 2012. What do we have 4 years later: Arena Commander, ships, a hangar and a racing track. You might call that progress. I call it a failure.
Please. The prototype was made by Chris Roberts and a few volunteers from Crytek. CIG didn't exist as a studio. You can't equate that time to the time spent since the Kickstarter. It's taken about 18 months to fully staff the studios while laying out the groundwork. Obviously progress is slower than people would like and the original goals were wildly unrealistic but what matters is the final product.

That's not the point of my comment. Read it again... slowly.

I read your comment slowly. So... the game's not done and you're mad about it, but mostly mad that other people want it to succeed? What do I win?
News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 01:03 Dagnamit
walrus1 wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 23:43:
If you don't see this as an entirely possible or incipient cluster fuck then you're just blind. And no stating the obvious doesn't make me a hater or a "troll."

it's a total clusterfuck. how can development of a such an ambitious game not be total mess? I have $150.00 riding the on that ambition. I know this thing could fail. I'm fine with that.

I haven't seen much evidence this game is going through anything other than what every game goes through in development, though I will admit to looking into the gray ship market.

CIG/Roberts biggest sin is thinking they needed to be open about WHEN things were going to be done. Devs tried that 20 years ago and it ended with most declaring, "it's done when it's done." The detente that ensued has held us over.

And most think the games industry is secretive so the hype-train can be primed. Nope. It's because of this shit, right here. You can't tell gamers anything lest they freak the fuck out.
News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 10, 2015, 10:12 Dagnamit
While not a great jump in performance, the Fury is at least priced (mostly) correct. AMD really needed to drop $50 off each of the Fury cards. $500 with 10-15% greater performance and same RAM as the 980, is very compelling.  
News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jul 8, 2015, 09:33 Dagnamit
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 21:10:
lol. I read that as 'Hustler - kid edition' and did a double take.

But enough about Subway Jared....
News Comments > Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out
11. Re: Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out Jun 29, 2015, 16:03 Dagnamit
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 15:51:
The Link and controller are definitely interesting but a machine that runs a Linux OS won't have many games available.

I pre-ordered the link. I can't wait to try it out. It's also a good excuse to upgrade my router to 802.11ac.
News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 24, 2015, 11:20 Dagnamit
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 10:54:
So Fury X costs around the same as a 980 TI, doesn't perform as well, and it consumes more power too?

It seems like a loser out of the gate unless they ratchet all the prices down in a hurry. This card seems "meh" for the price point - am I missing something?

Major Thanks to Tech Power Up for showing scores in resolutions people actually play at.

AMD is in big trouble. The specs of this thing represent the pinnacle of what is possible in a GPU. 600 mm^2 is about as big a GPU die can get and have reasonable yields. 9 billion transistors is as dense as they can get at 28nm. HBM give more bandwidth than any other tech. It's water cooled. It has 33% more shaders, than GTX Titan X (though less ROPs which is what likely killed them here.) That's everything AND the kitchen sink.

This is their best shot and it's more or less a tie with Nvidia's 2nd best card. It's not beating a Titan X, which is more or less 150% of a GTX 980 with 384 bit memory interface, and kinda a ho-hum placeholder release, imo. I'd love to see what AMD can do at 14/16nm, but I fear they'll be dead. This is not the product that will reverse the trend and they're running out of time.
479 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

Blue's News logo