Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dagnamit

Real Name Dagnamit   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 30, 2011, 02:52
Total Comments 447 (Amateur)
User ID 56435

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2015, 13:17 Dagnamit

walrus1 wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 12:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 12:12:
So... I found out last night that Netflix is showing ads now. It was for one of their new original shows, played when simply trying to access the page for one of their other ones (i.e. not when actually trying to view any episodes). What the fuck.
They've been doing that for a while now and sometimes the homepage is a giant ad for a Netflix original series when a new season or show comes out. Also House of Cards is filled to the rim with product placements. There have been rumors that they will start showing ads before streaming starts for awhile but I think they'll just increase the subscription fee first.

I hope so, I hate ads. Personally, I feel that Netflix streaming would be a decent deal at $15 or maybe $20 per month, but here's hoping it'll be just a small adjustment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2015, 19:44 Dagnamit

NKD wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 19:33:
Warcraft movie isn't giving me much hope so far. For three years in a row now they've refused to put these trailers and footage they show online.

What are they hiding?

An unfinished movie. I would guess that it's heavily CGI'ed, so much so, that they can't even release clips of it until nearly complete. That has it's own issues. Too much CG is kinda blah. Though there's likely some comic con leakage on the way.

However, the director made Moon (a fantastic film) and Source Code (a good, not great, thriller), so I'm still optimistic about this one.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 08:57 Dagnamit

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 08:29:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 07:53:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 19:59:
4 years. It took them a year to create the prototype demo that they showed at GDC and to angel investors, ventures and finally to crowdfunders on KickStarter. They started this project in 2011, officially announced it in 2012. What do we have 4 years later: Arena Commander, ships, a hangar and a racing track. You might call that progress. I call it a failure.
Please. The prototype was made by Chris Roberts and a few volunteers from Crytek. CIG didn't exist as a studio. You can't equate that time to the time spent since the Kickstarter. It's taken about 18 months to fully staff the studios while laying out the groundwork. Obviously progress is slower than people would like and the original goals were wildly unrealistic but what matters is the final product.

That's not the point of my comment. Read it again... slowly.

I read your comment slowly. So... the game's not done and you're mad about it, but mostly mad that other people want it to succeed? What do I win?

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 01:03 Dagnamit

walrus1 wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 23:43:
If you don't see this as an entirely possible or incipient cluster fuck then you're just blind. And no stating the obvious doesn't make me a hater or a "troll."

it's a total clusterfuck. how can development of a such an ambitious game not be total mess? I have $150.00 riding the on that ambition. I know this thing could fail. I'm fine with that.

I haven't seen much evidence this game is going through anything other than what every game goes through in development, though I will admit to looking into the gray ship market.

CIG/Roberts biggest sin is thinking they needed to be open about WHEN things were going to be done. Devs tried that 20 years ago and it ended with most declaring, "it's done when it's done." The detente that ensued has held us over.

And most think the games industry is secretive so the hype-train can be primed. Nope. It's because of this shit, right here. You can't tell gamers anything lest they freak the fuck out.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 10, 2015, 10:12 Dagnamit

While not a great jump in performance, the Fury is at least priced (mostly) correct. AMD really needed to drop $50 off each of the Fury cards. $500 with 10-15% greater performance and same RAM as the 980, is very compelling.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jul 8, 2015, 09:33 Dagnamit

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 21:10:
lol. I read that as 'Hustler - kid edition' and did a double take.

But enough about Subway Jared....

News Comments > Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out
11. Re: Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out Jun 29, 2015, 16:03 Dagnamit

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 15:51:
The Link and controller are definitely interesting but a machine that runs a Linux OS won't have many games available.

I pre-ordered the link. I can't wait to try it out. It's also a good excuse to upgrade my router to 802.11ac.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 24, 2015, 11:20 Dagnamit

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 10:54:
So Fury X costs around the same as a 980 TI, doesn't perform as well, and it consumes more power too?

It seems like a loser out of the gate unless they ratchet all the prices down in a hurry. This card seems "meh" for the price point - am I missing something?

Major Thanks to Tech Power Up for showing scores in resolutions people actually play at.

AMD is in big trouble. The specs of this thing represent the pinnacle of what is possible in a GPU. 600 mm^2 is about as big a GPU die can get and have reasonable yields. 9 billion transistors is as dense as they can get at 28nm. HBM give more bandwidth than any other tech. It's water cooled. It has 33% more shaders, than GTX Titan X (though less ROPs which is what likely killed them here.) That's everything AND the kitchen sink.

This is their best shot and it's more or less a tie with Nvidia's 2nd best card. It's not beating a Titan X, which is more or less 150% of a GTX 980 with 384 bit memory interface, and kinda a ho-hum placeholder release, imo. I'd love to see what AMD can do at 14/16nm, but I fear they'll be dead. This is not the product that will reverse the trend and they're running out of time.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 22, 2015, 12:36 Dagnamit

hopefully this driver takes care of the driver crash issues of the last two updates. I had to roll back to 347 to stop the problems.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 14:43 Dagnamit

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:24:
Good to know about the zero fan mode thing. I may look at that. Right now I have a case fan that is pretty noisy and I'm thinking about replacing it when I replace my video card. The PC should be pretty quiet after that.

It sounds like the 970 memory thing is not that big of a deal.

I imagine most people will have cards with 1 or 2 gigs onboard for the near future.

That is what I kind of hate about most review sites - they make all the reviews at 4k resolution with some beast machine but what I want to know is what I can expect at 1080p with an older i7.

When I look at the Steam Hardware Survey my specs are still above average for most gamers so I don't know why hardware sites have to push the $999 video card when everyone is really spending less than $200.

Noise of Resounding Agreement.

The 4k benches are out of control on the review sites. All they tell me is that native 4k gaming at reasonable price point is at least 2 years away. Gaming at below 60 fps is just unacceptable to me, so when I see those benches in the 30-50 range, from a Titan X no less a $1000 card, I just roll my eyes.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 11:40 Dagnamit

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:26:
AMD's new architecture is interesting I guess but what I really want to see is real-world benchmarks from 3rd party reviewers. I assume those will come out on day 1 of product release.

Currently I'm looking at 980s but I'm going to wait until winter to buy anything. By then there will be price drops and maybe Christmas bargains.

The 970 is closer to what I really wanted to pay but apparently there is some issue with it effectively having 3.5GB of video RAM instead of the advertised 4GB and fans are so mad I can't tell if it matters or not. Maybe the Fury Nano is what I will want. Nobody knows because all we have at the moment is a bunch of charts and speculation and no product on the shelves.

I will probably still be playing at 1080p for the next 2 years or so. I am just not that excited for 4k.

It matters a little bit, but really only if you're pushing super high-end features for image quality.

At that point you're pushing fps down far enough that if WANT to use those features you should just buy a 980 or 390x, in which case the RAM becomes a non-issue.

In other words, a 970 at 1080p on high settings will be enough for any current games, and at least the next year. Most still make PC games with 2GB cards in mind, Witcher 3 included. 2 years is anyone's guess.

Personally, I would wait to see what DX12 brings in terms of performance before buying anything with 1080p in mind. If it really does bring significant overhead reductions, then a 960 w/ 4 GB may be enough to push 1080p at acceptable levels. We just don't know.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2015, 14:24 Dagnamit

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:10:
Also, just in case you have never ever bought a CoD game in your entire life, Activision is making the entire collection available as a bundle, just in case you wanted to buy them all in one shot. All of the games, and all of the DLC can be yours for the low, low price of $299.99. Allthumbsup

Advanced Warfare isn't even in that bundle. LOL

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
10. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 10:25 Dagnamit

Icewind wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:17:
It's just angry little pissant nobody developers (Who are SJWs) whining about finally being unable to trick people into buying their garage-developed garbage.

Good God. Get help now.

News Comments > DayZ Downturn
4. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 09:51 Dagnamit

In before all the people that don't even play the game chime in.

I've put about 100 hours into this game. I don't really play it anymore, mostly because of server and engine performance ridiculousness.

For a game all about immersion, and one that does it much better than most, they need to sort out how the servers will work. every server disconnects about once every couple hours.

My guess is that people stopped playing because the last major patch shifted the focus from unfettered pvp (which is this game has nailed btw, the pvp in this game is unlike any other) to focus on survival mechanics. It was jarring, but I can see how it could turn-off the pvp junkie.

I wish they would just say eff it and port the whole mess to Arma3 already. It would probably solve a whole host of issues. Arma2 engine is just so shitty words can't adequately describe it.

I really, really like this game, and wish it was in better hands. I just can't take the performance issues anymore, with no end in sight. That said, I've more than gotten my money's worth on it, so if I have to walk, then at least it was fun.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2015, 10:05.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
6. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 4, 2015, 12:42 Dagnamit

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:39:
Task wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:37:
*Shrugs* I don't know - for me the excitement isn't totally there for slightly different reasons (like it not being Isometric), but everyone has there own take on FO now (for me the series peaked in 1998/2001). I'm surprised there is already a pre-order up.

(Perhaps overly optimistic) Rumor is this fall. I was surprised by the preorder as well, as I expected the game next year (still am, actually).

Guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

7 years since FO3 and almost 4 years(!), if you can believe it, since Skyrim. That's a good chunk of time, even for a game like this. I'll be buying whenever the first game fixing mods hit.

News Comments > 3D Mini Golf Released
1. Re: 3D Mini Golf Released Jun 3, 2015, 09:41 Dagnamit

This just made thing about how cool a mini golf game would be on the oculus rift.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
18. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 30, 2015, 23:36 Dagnamit

Kris Redbeard wrote on May 30, 2015, 23:22:
Dagnamit wrote on May 30, 2015, 22:55:
See but you're so quick out of the gate with the SJW stuff, that I can't really believe that it's just about ethics in journalism. Someone tell me, what does GG want? Please.

More beer.

well, shit. why didn't you just say so?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
16. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 30, 2015, 22:55 Dagnamit

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 30, 2015, 22:39:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on May 30, 2015, 22:20:
You're going to end up with far more GG critics in prison than GG supporters if laws against such are enforced.

I can't wait. You're also going to find a lot of SJW's, atheism+ and so on supporters in jail.

See but you're so quick out of the gate with the SJW stuff, that I can't really believe that it's just about ethics in journalism. Someone tell me, what does GG want? Please.

News Comments > Borderlands Drop Rate Increases
14. Re: Borderlands Drop Rate Increases May 27, 2015, 22:31 Dagnamit

Wow. and here I thought I was crazy for thinking I was the only one that thought BL2 was a fun, yet fatally flawed, game. Drop rates and scaling. My thoughts exactly.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Asset Leak
4. Re: Star Citizen Asset Leak May 25, 2015, 12:46 Dagnamit

The Half Elf wrote on May 25, 2015, 11:29:
If they can produce a game,and this ship as shown in the 1st video released for Star Citizen/Squadron 42, AND not take a fucking mega computer sent from the future to run it... then awesome.

But until then everything released is a bullshot.

It's going to take a mega computer. Roberts was very up-front that the requirements would be steep. I wouldn't worry if you have a 970 or 290. This looks fantastic, imo.

447 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo