Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dagnamit

Real Name Dagnamit   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 30, 2011, 02:52
Total Comments 427 (Amateur)
User ID 56435

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 24, 2015, 22:42 Dagnamit

NewMaxx wrote on May 24, 2015, 18:55:
AMD is likely to get bought out. Right now Samsung is a strong contender, although in the past I suggested perhaps NVIDIA. NVIDIA's strategy, however, has sharply diverted from that path over the last few years. My money's on Samsung for a variety of reasons; they have their own fabrication capabilities that can match or beat Intel, they wouldn't face anti-trust issues that NVIDIA and Intel would, they already make their own versions of mobile SOCs (effectively APUs), they have the cash and leverage, and it fits their current market strategy (plus, AMD and Samsung are already in a cooperative agreement). They'll wait for the right moment where there is a convergence between low AMD stock value and low competition for a buyout. This is still a while out, so put away your pocketbook for now.

it doesn't matter who buys them out, no one else will be interested in competing with intel for x86 processors. It's the rise of ARM that killed AMD, otherwise someone would have bought them out years ago. Samsung would only buy AMD for patents and GPU tech. ARM designs will eventually push even intel out of the ENTIRE consumer market. x86 is living on borrowed time and intel knows it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: 9500 per hour May 21, 2015, 23:50 Dagnamit

harlock wrote on May 21, 2015, 19:20:
wow thats a good gig if you can get it

it is, and I only bill $150 per hour.

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns Seven
5. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 18:04 Dagnamit

Man, the first of the great so-called "WoW killers". There were so many.

AoC, Warhammer Online, Matrix, etc...

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Next Month
5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Next Month May 18, 2015, 12:50 Dagnamit

Darks wrote on May 18, 2015, 11:25:
The game just wont be the same without Tony Jay voicing the narrator part. Great guy and voice.

They should get Tony Jaa. That would be an interesting twist... Bard's Tale IV: Ninjas of Skara Brae.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
34. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 17, 2015, 13:34 Dagnamit

HorrorScope wrote on May 17, 2015, 13:22:
Yeah that was a little thick on the AMD. But like Win10's plan, the O/S, front ends of current gen... these need to now become long term fronts. Meaning, if it goes as it has, we are stuck here for another 7 years.

We need to embrace change and that change is game systems that get enhanced now and remain 100% compatible, but with better innards. Everything else is doing that and at a much larger scale and to even a more casual base. Console gamers can't handle this? Really? It can work AND AND AND it keeps us moving forward timely. PS Sell at a profit like phones, you make money when gamers go out and by the new units, win!. The old units still work, so those that want to wait, can. Many want the better stuff if you'd just give them the opportunity to buy it.

To me that is the next step for consoles to make. How do they see getting big into VR with those mid-range specs, which will soon be unquestionably low-range?

If VR takes off, they will have to release new hardware or bow out. I think they bow out of gaming consoles no matter what happens. There's just not enough money in the way the current platform operates.

The company in the best position is Valve, but I don't think they have the cultural wherewithal (i.e. no killer corporate instinct) to pull it off. They could absolutely own the high-end gaming market with SteamOS.

30. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 17, 2015, 12:55 Dagnamit

You can all thank AMD for that. AMD hardware is fucking garbage. But they marketed it well enough to Microsoft and Sony, with enough of a discount over nVidia that they bought the marketing and stuffed that trash in their consoles. And now we all fucking suffer for it. Good going, PR. You're literally holding back progress. The last console gen was actually a huge step up from the one before it, but now that AMD is involved, it's barely an improvement, let alone a generational leap.

I don't know if I should blame AMD for not being able to compete or nVidia for spoiling us with actual innovative hardware. I tend to think that progress is the better path to take though, rather than cutting corners constantly the way AMD does. I wish some rich investor would step up and inject tons of funding into AMD so that we don't have to keep being tied down to this utter trash we keep having to deal with from them.

I guarantee it's going to be the same fucking bullshit with their 300 series of GPUs too. All the fanboys are trumpeting it as the thing that will finally bring down nVidia. No. 3d memory isn't going to do jack shit. They'll still be number 2, and their idiot fanboys will still defend them, despite the fact that the majority of the series will merely be rebrands, and the one that has the new stacked memory will cost far more than it's worth. When will people wake up and stop buying their shit just because it's cheaper? Force them to actually make advancements instead of holding the entire fucking industry back. >:\

Wow. I'm no AMD fan, but they built those SoCs to spec for their clients. MS and Sony could have ordered heftier parts but cheaped out and/or made an agreement not compete on the performance front.

What I've always wondered was if they can build those chips for consoles, what's stopping them (beside contracts, likely) from making a super-beefy SoC's designed to run windows? That would be a killer HTPC solution. Their A10 and A8 lines are joke. If they can build a chip with the specs like a PS4 and sell it, at a profit, for $100-$150 to Sony. Why the hell wouldn't they make chip to sell to PC peeps with similar specs for $200?

28. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 17, 2015, 11:54 Dagnamit

HorrorScope wrote on May 17, 2015, 10:34:
CD Projekt RED is giving back a little of that great cred they built up recently.

No one should be surprised that a game built for 3 platforms has serious compromises. Blame Sony and Microsoft for cheaping-out on hardware, which in retrospect feels like collusion between MS and the Big S to keep specs low.

Everyone assumed the new consoles would be far more powerful. Like someone said here on this website, not rendering at 1080p for all titles simply wasn't a conversation anyone thought was possible when discussing the new console generation.

That's a mistake on CDPR's part and one they're not likely to make again, but at least an understandable one.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 23:32 Dagnamit

ViRGE wrote on May 16, 2015, 16:15:
Redmask wrote on May 16, 2015, 15:27:
It's just a game and has nothing to do with the rest of the operating system. Might as well freak out at the inclusion of Solitaire. We've been testing Windows 10 at work and its perfectly fine, much better than Windows 8 in terms of accommodating all user devices with minimal compromise. The small resource footprint and requirements are great too, its a big improvement over Windows 7. Don't listen to the people who can't even bothered to load it up and just parrot whatever they hear on Slashdot.
It's not just a game. It's Microsoft including software from a company who engages in blatantly unethical, predatory practices. People don't spend money on Candy Crush because they want to, they spend money because the game is engineered down to the last bit to manipulate them into doing so.

...and those people are called idiots. Or rather, fools... and that which may they soon part with...

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews May 16, 2015, 17:06 Dagnamit

oh man, that monitor. WANT!  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 13:59 Dagnamit

Axis wrote on May 16, 2015, 12:50:
Windows 10 preloaded with candy crush... Sounds EXACTLY like the direction MS has been going.

Like it or not, those games are the Minesweeper of the times. Played by the exact same type of person too. Production quality is just better.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
12. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 20:18 Dagnamit

harlock wrote on May 15, 2015, 20:09:
Dagnamit wrote on May 15, 2015, 20:07:
harlock wrote on May 15, 2015, 19:56:
im very skeptical this can provide a stable >60fps in >90% of games to be released in 2016-2017

very very skeptical

They're simply setting the benchmark for cost. A roughly $300 dollar card will be required to the play the thing at any one time, off into infinity. As Horror said, this is not a surprise to anybody.

The rift will always be best utilized with a top, top, top card, or an SLI setup, the latter of which should prove to be the ideal bang for buck scenario. What could really be good, if nvidia and amd support this well with drivers, will be the $200 range GPU's in SLI/Xfire. There's real potential there for "just enough to be perfect" without blowing $600-$700 on a flagship.

current equivalent? ok i can see that, maybe

still skeptical even on these specs, running the rift today

i guess the fine print is "at low to medium settings" Winkrazz

that's absolutely the fine print as was reading this story today.

I just hope we get more games that looked as good, and ran at 120+ fps like Alien: Isolation on max settings. There's a reason why people love that game on the Rift.

11. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 20:14 Dagnamit

HorrorScope wrote on May 15, 2015, 19:42:
Yeah thanks, how about your damn products specs?

Got to think NVidia will have it's new line come out right around these devices release. I would think many will be looking at 1070's for VR.

21601200, or 1080x1200 per eyeball, or about 2.6 million pixels total. It's a little concerning from a PPI standpoint, but they may also be using a more compact screen with different optics, so screen door is lessened. That being said, with the galaxy s6 1440p amoled screen in the wild and used in millions of devices, I'm surprised it's so low. 1440p must have been too many pixels.

9. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 20:07 Dagnamit

harlock wrote on May 15, 2015, 19:56:
im very skeptical this can provide a stable >60fps in >90% of games to be released in 2016-2017

very very skeptical

They're simply setting the benchmark for cost. A roughly $300 dollar card will be required to the play the thing at any one time, off into infinity. As Horror said, this is not a surprise to anybody.

The rift will always be best utilized with a top, top, top card, or an SLI setup, the latter of which should prove to be the ideal bang for buck scenario. What could really be good, if nvidia and amd support this well with drivers, will be the $200 range GPU's in SLI/Xfire. There's real potential there for "just enough to be perfect" without blowing $600-$700 on a flagship.

1. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 19:21 Dagnamit

sounds about right.

let's see... (looks under the desk)

3570k at 4.3ghz
gtx 970
8gb ram
Windows XP

Dammit!

News Comments > Arma III Free Weekend; BIS Sale
2. Re: Arma III Free Weekend; BIS Sale May 8, 2015, 08:55 Dagnamit

1badmf wrote on May 8, 2015, 08:36:
does this game have a big following? how does multiplayer work? i'm assuming it's not the lone wolf hell that is bf/cod just cuz the maps are so big, so then how would a lone player have fun? i don' thave any friends that play this =(

Arma3 has a fairly large and committed fan base. There will always be people playing it. This game has a very, very long shelf life compared to most. It also has a pretty outstanding battle royale mode. Big map that shrinks as time goes on, forcing conflict. The mod community is probably the best and most robust of any shooter these days. On top of that, the ARMA III engine is far less janky than anything Bohemia has put out and the controls much better. What was once an almost impenetrable military sim, is pretty accessible these days. It's a good game. It's also got a good following on Twitch so go check it out!

/not a Bohemia Employee

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
13. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 10:21 Dagnamit

no interest in this. I'm still waiting for magic and wrestling to become real.  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. May 5, 2015, 17:34 Dagnamit

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 17:31:
Interesting Elite story. Sounds like they'll be adding some new content soon that might shake things up a bit in that world.

I liked this ancient artefact that's sitting out on the outer edges of the sol system.

I'm getting close to getting back into it myself. They just need to fill the galaxy with something. Anything really.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition Announced
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition Announced Apr 29, 2015, 23:37 Dagnamit

Reactor wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 22:34:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 20:24:
Nice... now let me know when this version hits $9.99.

Yup

came here to say this. well... $14.99.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Apr 19, 2015, 11:50 Dagnamit

Fantaz wrote on Apr 19, 2015, 10:56:
it's going to be hard waiting it out for a deal on this game... needs to be less than $30 for a buy.

I felt the same way and finally said, "screw it", and just bought it yesterday. This thing isn't getting to $30 'till X-mas, at the very earliest (at least on Steam).

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2015, 21:15 Dagnamit

I agree with all your points here jd, buuuut he's got a point about the fan service parts, especially when it comes to Abrams. The first Star Trek was pretty good, however, Into Darkness had just that type of pandering fan service, so there's a chance it made it's way into this.  

427 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo