Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dagnamit

Real Name Dagnamit   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 30, 2011, 02:52
Total Comments 270 (Amateur)
User ID 56435

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
3. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 09:49 Dagnamit

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 09:43:
On-line single player option

hey hey!

Goddamn, that trailer looks epic.

nin, throw some cold water on me! I need that $75 for rent!!! GAAAAA... temptation.... getting the best of me. must resist...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 13:25 Dagnamit

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 12:20:
Yup, I see an 860 [Ti] in my future... Will be perfect timing with GTA V, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn if that's something they're going to be promoting the stuff around.

I hadn't thought about that angle. GTA is a such a big seller/system mover that NVidia and AMD would dumb to not release a card in support. Rockstar may as well call the PC version, Grand Theft Auto V: 4GB VRAM EDITION.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 11:45 Dagnamit

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 11:29:
Well, both Nvidia and AMD seem to be VERY happy with where the prices are now and in spite of the obscenely high prices cards seem to be selling at a rate that they haven't seen any need to lower the prices yet.
Look, I'm hoping as much as you and everyone else in the consumer space that GPU prices will come back down into reasonable territory rather sooner than later but realistically it ain't gonna happen because there is absolutely no reason for either nVidia or AMD to drop their prices at this time.

I mostly agree on that and certainly want to pay less, however, I will say that NVidia can force AMD to lower margins by keeping prices lower on the whole. If Nvidia starts pricing GM204's at $700, they're giving AMD wiggle room to price higher themselves and make more cash. AMD needed to price the R9 series where it was or risk disaster.

I'm not trying to start a flame war btw, I just really love talking about this stuff.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 Dagnamit

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 10:40:
Why should they all of a sudden drop prices and ruin their margins now? People have been buying high end gfx cards for $600 - 700 for years at this point. Rumor has it the 880 is going to be +30% faster than the 780Ti.
No way Josť. The most optimistic scenario is they'll phase out the 780Ti and offer the 880 at the same price in the ~$700 range. But knowing nVidia they will probably go $899 or $999 RRP with the 880.

Because the margins are still good on a $400 dollar midrange smaller die part? I guess that's the basis of my current line of speculation. However, the 880 will almost certainly have 4gb of GDDR5 (or people would burn NVidia to the ground), so maybe $400 is pushing it based on that alone. I'll revise to $450.

Nvidia's only been able to play the huge markup game with GK110's because they had an enormous performance lead on AMD when the Titan launched, and used it to more clearly define the tiers between the mid and high end chips. I don't think they're changing that structure. They've done so well marking up the GK110 that it makes sense for them to go for volume on the lower tiers. I don't think they can get away with pricing the midrange part beyond $500. People will just buy AMD.

As far as 30% improvements on the 780ti, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. I just want my next card to be one that can push a 1440p screen at 75hz, aka, an Oculus Rift.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 Dagnamit

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:05:
Nadool wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:01:
But but but...I took out a second mortgage so I could SLi me some Titans!!! Idiots

Don't fret. I bet the GTX 800 series will start with RRPs of only US$9,999 .

I actually expect these to be priced around the same as the 600 series when it came out. $300, $400, $500. There's decent chance, imo, that Nvidia prices theses super aggressively, like $250, $325, $400 to swing the value proposition to their corner. 28nm yields must be pretty stellar by now.

The problem that I see is that the 880 may not beat the 780ti, which would be really problematic for the green team, unless they can hit the $400 price with the 880. Unless they get 15%-20% improvement on the 880 over the 780ti, $500 is just too much and doesn't under cut AMD's 8 month old similarly performing card in price...

Screw it, I'm calling it now. $400 GTX 880. They just have to price it there or why bother releasing the thing at all?

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2014, 10:14.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
22. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 16:31 Dagnamit

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 16:09:
Actually you ARE funding Dominoes when you buy a pizza. You are supplying them revenue they need to keep operating aren't you?

But you don't get to tell them what to do with the money. It's the difference between a consumer and an investor, and where Oculus got into trouble. Kickstarter gives you the appearance of an investor, but the rights of a consumer. Now Oculus could have been more up front about that difference, but they were one of the first KS darlings, so they couldn't really know how it would shake out. Man, there's going to be some interesting masters thesis' written about this subject. It's a neat little grey area.

21. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 16:24 Dagnamit

Deathbishop wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 12:41:
I think the problem here is a lot of people buy early access games without knowing exactly what that means. You're entitled to what you buy, namely alpha/beta access to a game that more than likely is highly unfinished. Somewhere along the way people have construed early access to mean the same thing as being kickstarted and that's not true at all.

I don't think this can be repeated enough times. Early Access is not crowdsourcing.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 28, 2014, 16:01 Dagnamit

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 13:01:
I'm against mods that can be bought for money, that is all.

And yes, that includes paying money for a CS reskin.

Get used to it, because this is how UT2015 is going to roll. Free-to-play core with a mod market that's both free and pay-to-play.

2. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 10:06 Dagnamit

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 09:28:
Are we crazy? Are we doing it wrong? Should every person in the company be working on the same thing? Should HBO make one TV show at a time? Should Warner Brothers make one movie at a time?

I'm just gonna stop there at the guy comparing his podunk studio to the most highly lauded TV network and a film studio that's been around for a century.

I don't think he's a making a direct comparison, just stating that every company has a lot of balls in the air at the same time and many revenue streams from different projects. He clearly feels that having a company with a lot on its plate is a recipe for success. Hell, that's how I would do it. It's a great way to keep people engaged.

News Comments > Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"
1. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 16:07 Dagnamit

translation: Sell sell sell sell sell!!  

News Comments > 2K's BioShock Tease?
3. Re: 2K's BioShock Tease? Jul 24, 2014, 09:28 Dagnamit

nin wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 09:15:
Repackaging Bio for new consoles? Seems to be the thing these days...

Word. However, Infinite cranked up on a decent rig is some serious eye-candy. I'm not surprised that they would sell it on the PS4/XBONE on looks alone.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 19:27 Dagnamit

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 19:14:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 19:06:
What the hell is the problem with DayZ? It's a goddamn positive development in gaming. It requires patience, it's not from a AAA studio, it has a great deal of customization available, and it's hard. This is what PC gaming is supposed to have in spades.
I think the problem is that it's not close to being finished and the completion date isn't even on the horizon.

DayZ won't ever be complete. They'll always find things to add to it. Sure, it's not finished but the core gameplay is not going to be changing all that much. Aside from the many bugs, which it will always have because it's the Arma engine, I consider the game complete enough to be very playable, and has been for some time.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
3. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 18, 2014, 11:11 Dagnamit

I'm drooling over this game, but it seems a little light on content (I know, beta) and that you need to create your own fun most of the time. Will the release version be like that? It seems far more "actual space flying simulation" rather than "space war story telling machine". Is that about accurate? I'm seriously considering dropping the $75 on the beta.  

News Comments > The Crew Closed Beta Monday
5. Re: The Crew Closed Beta Monday Jul 17, 2014, 21:29 Dagnamit

Aero wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 20:20:
Maybe sort of a Eurotrucker sort of thing, with a few detailed areas and generic scenery in between. That could be okay if they do it well.

I am a little curious about this in relation to their claim of "thousands of square miles" which would fall short of covering the US by many orders of magnitude.

45 minutes from side of the map to the other, or so it's claimed. pretty big.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 16, 2014, 20:29 Dagnamit

Beamer wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 20:10:
Fion wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 19:27:
Am I the only one that finds it odd that console players are clamoring to pay $60 - $90 to buy games they've already played because someone slapped a 'next gen' sticker on them?

Well, have you seen a GTAV thread here, with numerous PC fans clamoring to buy GTAV a second, or I think in some cases, a third time?

Or all the people that are excited to play a 15 year old LucasArts game remade for the PC?

Well, I would probably pay $150 for remake of xwing/tie fighter. Easily.

News Comments > Ex Infinity Ward Devs Reload
1. Re: Ex Infinity Ward Devs Reload Jul 15, 2014, 09:11 Dagnamit

more fps. geez  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 9, 2014, 12:05 Dagnamit

Beamer wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 10:18:
Julio wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 09:41:
Guess they don't want the truth to come out, so they're pushing to settle.

What "truth?"

Again, why do so many here think there is conspiracy behind incompetence?

Word. How much more money are they going to spend finding a scapegoat for this mess? Politicians are useless.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
7. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 12:53 Dagnamit

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 11:53:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 11:44:
So Blizzard cares because botting ruins the experience of those who are not botting, i.e. people not cheating.

There is a fine line between botting and effective multiboxing. The big distinction being that Blizzard allows multiboxing but not botting. It really comes down to whether or not every action your character performs is a direct response to user input or not.

If you click one button and your character performs a chain of 50 tasks you are botting and Blizzard bans you.

If you click one button and 50 characters you have on 50 different accounts perform 50 various tasks you are multiboxing and Blizzard takes your money and laughs.

Pretty much this. I remember watching old videos of a 5 box elemental shaman arena team. Hilarious against unorganized teams. Dude just nuked anyone that came into los, had all 5 shammy's lightning bolt and chain heal linked to a couple buttons on the keyboard. That config was legit as far a Blizz was concerned.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2014, 09:35 Dagnamit

50/50. boo-yah.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 6, 2014, 11:54 Dagnamit

my body is ready.  

270 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer