Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tessier Ashpoole

Real Name Tessier Ashpoole   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Primalchrome
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2011, 18:32
Total Comments 114 (Novice)
User ID 56308

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Play Civilization V Free This Week
7. Re: Play Civilization V Free This Week Oct 20, 2014, 23:07 Primalchrome

I kind of enjoyed playing the vanilla release...and then again as each expansion came along. It felt like breathing new life into the title with each addition. Just one...more...turn....  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
3. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 15:39 Primalchrome

Yakubs wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:24:
She's just another suit that gets extra attention due to her looks. /snore
Man....I hope you never have a daughter reproduce.

News Comments > Rebel Galaxy Announced
10. Re: Rebel Galaxy Announced Oct 15, 2014, 10:19 Primalchrome

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 22:16:
Wonder if they'll have to change the name.
That's funny, because even 30 seconds into the clip I thought it was based in the Star Wars universe.
"Rebel Galaxy"
"Star Destroyer"
...and the feel of the language the fish alien was speaking.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
21. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 16:04 Primalchrome

I was late to the party and didn't get a BL title until BL2+DLC was on a Steam sale. The storyline and most of the DLC provided hundreds of hours of enjoyment. So much so that I'm happy to have spent $43 on BL:TPS.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 18:01 Primalchrome

Congrats Blue!  

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
14. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 16:01 Primalchrome

MacLeod wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 15:07:
I've never understood the hate for Blizzard. In truth, except for the mis-step that was Diablo 3, I haven't seen much that they're creatively falling apart. I mean, Did I agree with a lot of their WoW decisions? No. But I also never felt that they weren't doing what they thought was best for the game.
Therein lies the disconnect. They were not making creative decisions on anything beyond Burning Crusade. They were making stockholder decisions. Big difference. Diablo III is the same animal. From a business perspective, the only thing any rational person can do is give them a standing ovation. They are riding their IP and developing it for the widest possible adoption rate. From the creative standpoint....it is now McDonalds.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees
25. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees Sep 18, 2014, 13:48 Primalchrome

I bought BL1 & BL2 when they were on Steam sales....but I may buy this one at full price. There is nothing technically stunning about these games...but they are a fun ride. Not very many titles out in the past few years have had me really appreciating the dialogue and some of the relatively minor details. Admittedly, a lot of it is on the level of fart jokes....but after a stressful day sometimes it's nice to just let go and enjoy yourself.  

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
36. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 12:08 Primalchrome

Hopefully they will incorporate Games for Windows Live! into it!!! Woohoo! Can't wait. It's all blue skies from here forward!  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha
18. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 11, 2014, 11:40 Primalchrome

Last post, going to try to quickly address points :
- "When you can pay for a gameplay advantage, it is the very definition of pay to win..." - ...name one advantage that you can buy in MWO that you cannot acquire via in game currency. Improved arty/airstrike? That's a joke and does not determine the weight of a match. Clan mechs are being released via Cbills, so don't play that card.
- " stupid, stupid people who pay for MMO and F2P are a cancer on gaming," - Childish rant not really worth addressing, but I will. Without persistent servers, how exactly are these companies supposed to run managed leagues or provide massive worlds to players? Those persistent servers require significant monthly outlays of cash. Or would you prefer something like the EA approach where they shut down the community component every two years? Yes, Kali, Quakeworld, and the like were great, but it was a niche community rather than one with global scope. Ask yourself truthfully....was American football better when the Acme Packers were playing the Staleys on a sandlot or two years ago when Green Bay played the Bears in the actual playoffs?
- "Clan wars was promised years ago, nothing." - Agreed that it is LONG overdue. But....the first two steps appeared in game in the past month.
- "New maps, well there have been some but they are so few and far between its ridiculous. New mechs, nearly as bad as the map thing" - They've released a couple of maps...with one currently on the test server. Agreed that new maps/gamemodes have been horribly few and far between. As to mechs. The clan package (8 mechs) was released and being made available to cbill purchase. They have also released a couple of hero mechs and a new IS chassis in the past two months.
- "Everything Task Said" - Other than the opinions, the FACTS were pretty spot on. As for most of the funtionality...I'd love to see Advanced Targeting and arm arcs...the rest, meh. The ECM, hitboxes, streaks, etc...all play out fine once you understand 'em.

So yeah, MWO isn't anyone's dream of what MW could be in a persistent game. But if you'll read through those answers you find one interesting bit. More has been done to MWO in the past three months than in the previous 12. Couple that with the fact that IGP/PGI have been splitting the bedsheets during that 3 month period and it opens up the possibility that the upward trend will continue.

I'm not saying it's a great game. It's not. But it enjoyable for what it is. I'm not saying it will become a great game. It won't. But hopefully the improvement will continue and at least get it to a solid persistent platform.

For the game we all want MW to be made into, it will require a top tier dev and publisher. But it will probably never get that in the modern world because the Battletech community loves to gnaw on its own fingers. Assassins Creed XXI : Resurrection is a safe bet with their investment dollars. A community of 30-40 something fickle bitches that will never be happy is not.

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 10, 2014, 17:51 Primalchrome

edaciousx wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 16:45:
Those mechs are damn overpriced. $15? for one hero mech or $30 bucks? I forget the price but its just so damn stupid. Then you have to buy more mech bays... what a disappointment.
A buck for a mechbay is expensive? $15 for a mech that gives you 30% earning bonus for every match you play? For a game you spent $0 on to begin with? Entitled much?

My 13 year old, who only plays on weekends has bought six or seven mechs in the month he's been involved, one of which is a top (in-game currency) dollar assault. He spent a few bucks to get a hero mech, some mechbays, and a few days of premium time. He has one chassis, the Jenner, leveled to Mastery and regularly ends a game with a KDA or 2 or better. The grind is reasonable to anyone not baptized in the new MMO idea of going to level 50 in the first week. The game is not P2W. No matter how people would like to frame it, the progression is nowhere near as punishing as WoT.

Does anyone remember when you were paying $230 a year to play that drek Blizzard has been force feeding you since Burning Crusade? Or spent $60 on the latest AAA title that was a slight texture upgrade to last years AAA title? MWO is a decent game that has shown more improvement in the past 6 months than the prior 12. It has a lot of warts...but its pricing scheme is somewhat reasonable to anyone that doesn't think running colo servers and payroll expenses are free.

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 10, 2014, 12:57 Primalchrome

Orogogus wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:13:
Really? Like what?
Task does not care for any kind of online model. He wants his software on a CD, with a key, with no connection to the outside world unless he desires it. He wants his mechs and his missions local to his hard drive and available to play in 20 years. Which on one level, I totally understand. On another, it would be a very difficult model for any game looking for a competitive scene.

At the end of the day, MW is always going to be tainted because it has a rabid fanbase dating back to BattleDroids. It will never be good enough, or close enough to canon, or have enough 'mechs. It will always be marginalized and torn down by the very community that loves it.

He does have a point in that MWO is missing a number of items that made prior titles really good. Single player experience. Decent tutorial. Vehicles. No prerequisites for private matches. etc...

And yes, I played TT religiously and have been firing PPCs on my computer since G.Braver and I went up against the Darkwing. I'm as rabid as the next guy....but I realize that sacrifices have to be made for different IP's to jump to other media.

4. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 10, 2014, 10:35 Primalchrome

Actually, MWO is functional....and enjoyable (warts and all). If you frequent the cesspit that is /r/mwo you might have a different picture than people actually playing the game.

I think the real question here should be,"Why does the MechWarrior: Tactics' website still say 'we'll be right back' after 6 months of downtime?"

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
27. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 7, 2014, 00:09 Primalchrome

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:59:
While it could be reasonably argued that Popcap enabled Zynga, I'd hardly call their games shitware. While casual, they were innovative at the time they were made. And I appreciated games we could play together as a family when my kids were younger. And games like Bookworm Adventures helped the kids with spelling and vocabulary.
QFT

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
19. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 19:43 Primalchrome

Fion wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 18:30:
Google has already pushed 3/4 of the game-based channels off the site because of their rights management bullshit. I'd have hated to see that happen on twitch.
Uhm. You realize that Twitch wasn't owned by Google when that change was made? Rights management will be addressed by Amazon as well.

12. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 18:07 Primalchrome

Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 17:35:
Why would they pay a billion dollars for something no one has ever heard of?
ROFL. It's one of the top ten peak traffic sites on the internet and 'no one has ever heard of' them. They're buying the brand, the contracts, and the infrastructure. Whether its worth a Billion? Google and Amazon both seem to think enough people know about it to make it worth their while. >shrug<

4. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 17:25 Primalchrome

Great. There goes my last hope of getting to ChromeCast Twitch streams to my plasma. Sigh.  

News Comments > Wargaming Boasts 100M Registered Players
2. Re: Wargaming Boasts 100M Registered Players Aug 12, 2014, 17:50 Primalchrome

Out of curiosity, I'd like to see numbers on concurrent players. I know of 10-15 accounts that have been created...played for a week...and abandoned.

That said, there are a LOT of people playing that are very passionate about the title.

News Comments > SSI Vets form TSI
11. Re: SSI Vets form TSI Aug 8, 2014, 17:35 Primalchrome

This could be a great thing for future turn based titles... Glad to see so many folks share fond memories of the old gold box titles.  

News Comments > Wings! Remastered Edition Takes Off This Year
5. Re: Wings! Remastered Edition Takes Off This Year Aug 8, 2014, 11:27 Primalchrome

I'm with Creston. I don't know how many hours I spent playing Wings with my old Epyx joystick (what a great design). It was great for its time....but that time has passed.  

News Comments > The International Tourney on TV
4. Re: The International Tourney on TV Jul 17, 2014, 18:01 Primalchrome

Yakubs wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 16:58:
Actually it has more to do with the size of the International prize pool. But let's not let that stop us from trying to incite a LoL vs Dota2 fanboy war.
Don't be ridiculous, this is Blues. The very mention of any MOBA is met with nothing but disdain and yelling for kids to get off your lawn...

Why would a prize pool have anything to do with ESPN picking it up? Viewers equate ad revenue.....which is the grail of any organization. Almost every adult gamer in the US knows Steam/Valve/Gabe, so it is perfectly reasonable that a Valve game would make headway into being broadcast on ESPN. At the end of the day it's good news for any game trying to develop a pro scene.....even though Twitch or Azubu probably already has an entrenched position with the younger 'cut the cord' market.

114 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo