Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tessier Ashpoole

Real Name Tessier Ashpoole   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Primalchrome
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 26, 2011, 18:32
Total Comments 125 (Novice)
User ID 56308

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
15. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 20:24 Primalchrome

Ceribaen wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:09:
In this case, WH:T was intentionally not to be a table top replacement because Privateer Press doesn't want that.
I've been interested in it off and on, the original concept I think was supposed to have been more of a first person style control with the warcaster with tactical combat
....no. You're either talking out your ass or you're confusing this game with something else. From the kickstarter forward it was supposed to be a turn based implementation very similar to the table top ruleset. They succeeded in this. A similar implementation to Space Hulk or Blood Bowl's different forays into PC gaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
4. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 11:24 Primalchrome

This isn't a WH40k game. It is an adaptation of Warmachine....totally different table top system. More of a small unit tactical feel than WH40k's massive units slugging it out.

I got in on the Kickstarter for WM:T and have played it a few times as it was being developed. It isn't flawless, but I've genuinely enjoyed the time I've spent playing. If you want a general feel for how the game works, there are plenty of threads in the forum and there will be gameplay video reviews up by the end of the day.

(For the record, I wouldn't recommend buying it until a couple of patches come out. They're only coming out of Early Access because of contractual obligations.)

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2014, 11:44.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2014, 11:17 Primalchrome

Happy Birthday, Blue!  

News Comments > New Steam Early Access Guidelines
3. Re: New Steam Early Access Guidelines Nov 20, 2014, 21:00 Primalchrome

PHJF wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 20:05:
Craft the World. OH BY THE WAY IT AIN'T FUCKIN FINISHED. MADE YAH LOOK, IDIOT
While I agree with the general opinion, Craft the World is functional and releases in 4 days.

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
8. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 20:54 Primalchrome

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 19:55:
I came back and have to say that I'm very impressed with WoW, probably as much as I was the first time I ever played back in Beta.
I'm not trolling....genuinely curious... What changed that impressed you and made it so enjoyable?

News Comments > Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale
3. Re: Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale Nov 12, 2014, 22:00 Primalchrome

Is GOG borked? I can't access my library or check out my shopping cart...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Nov 12, 2014, 18:00 Primalchrome

What sort of rules changes? I thought Ascension just brought in new chapters, loadouts, marine progression, and hybrids? Most of that has been in previous TT versions of Hulk.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Nov 12, 2014, 11:52 Primalchrome

That brings it down to ~$20... Not certain that the additions are worth it...  

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
63. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:43 Primalchrome

Kajetan wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:56:
Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:34:
Go DRM-free, though, and get rid of much of that process and many, many more people will avoid buying.
There is no proof of that. None at all.
Oh how quickly we forget. Napster/Limewire/Bearshare -> iTunes. iTunes (oh how I loathe you) made it convenient for the unwashed masses to get their shitty pop music. That and relatively little legal wrangling and file poisoning resulted in legitimate sales as opposed to the rampant piracy that came before. Convenience and reasonable pricing....beats piracy every time. There will always be those that pirate digital products....but when it's a bigger pain in the ass to do that than buy it, the numbers drop.

To bring it around...everyone I know...and probably everyone on this site have bought more games since Steam has been out. Yes, we're older and have more disposable income. The real drive behind the sales is convenience and pricing. Impulse buys. "I can't go wrong for $9.99" buys.

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
60. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:38 Primalchrome

I use Steam. I refuse to install Origin. Why? Because EA has proven time and again that they are only in it for the yearly resale. In the past they have happily crippled games with the sole interest in driving their customers to the next 201X version. Valve games that I bought 10 years ago still work fine. As a consumer, my dollar will vote for the company that has shown loyalty to its clients.

Uplay? I have an account. Haven't felt the drive to buy a game there yet....but I'm willing to stray to another distro platform for the right titles/deals. That said, I am unwilling to have more than a couple of distro platforms clogging up my machine. Competition is good. But for centralized distro platforms...even a fair amount of dilution will be very bad for end users, particularly when market forces result in some of those platforms closing down.

There are enough games in my Steam library (and other libraries) that I could go a year with no purchases and still have a satisfying amount of game time.

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
8. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Oct 25, 2014, 00:19 Primalchrome

Early Access games can win "Best Original Game" and "Best Indie Game"??? Or, a game that was essentially released as a mod two years ago and is now available in a poor bug ridden state?

Sweet mother.

News Comments > Play Civilization V Free This Week
7. Re: Play Civilization V Free This Week Oct 20, 2014, 23:07 Primalchrome

I kind of enjoyed playing the vanilla release...and then again as each expansion came along. It felt like breathing new life into the title with each addition. Just one...more...turn....  

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
3. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 15:39 Primalchrome

Yakubs wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:24:
She's just another suit that gets extra attention due to her looks. /snore
Man....I hope you never have a daughter reproduce.

News Comments > Rebel Galaxy Announced
10. Re: Rebel Galaxy Announced Oct 15, 2014, 10:19 Primalchrome

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 22:16:
Wonder if they'll have to change the name.
That's funny, because even 30 seconds into the clip I thought it was based in the Star Wars universe.
"Rebel Galaxy"
"Star Destroyer"
...and the feel of the language the fish alien was speaking.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
21. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 16:04 Primalchrome

I was late to the party and didn't get a BL title until BL2+DLC was on a Steam sale. The storyline and most of the DLC provided hundreds of hours of enjoyment. So much so that I'm happy to have spent $43 on BL:TPS.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 18:01 Primalchrome

Congrats Blue!  

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
14. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 16:01 Primalchrome

MacLeod wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 15:07:
I've never understood the hate for Blizzard. In truth, except for the mis-step that was Diablo 3, I haven't seen much that they're creatively falling apart. I mean, Did I agree with a lot of their WoW decisions? No. But I also never felt that they weren't doing what they thought was best for the game.
Therein lies the disconnect. They were not making creative decisions on anything beyond Burning Crusade. They were making stockholder decisions. Big difference. Diablo III is the same animal. From a business perspective, the only thing any rational person can do is give them a standing ovation. They are riding their IP and developing it for the widest possible adoption rate. From the creative standpoint....it is now McDonalds.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees
25. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees Sep 18, 2014, 13:48 Primalchrome

I bought BL1 & BL2 when they were on Steam sales....but I may buy this one at full price. There is nothing technically stunning about these games...but they are a fun ride. Not very many titles out in the past few years have had me really appreciating the dialogue and some of the relatively minor details. Admittedly, a lot of it is on the level of fart jokes....but after a stressful day sometimes it's nice to just let go and enjoy yourself.  

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
36. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 12:08 Primalchrome

Hopefully they will incorporate Games for Windows Live! into it!!! Woohoo! Can't wait. It's all blue skies from here forward!  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha
18. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 11, 2014, 11:40 Primalchrome

Last post, going to try to quickly address points :
- "When you can pay for a gameplay advantage, it is the very definition of pay to win..." - ...name one advantage that you can buy in MWO that you cannot acquire via in game currency. Improved arty/airstrike? That's a joke and does not determine the weight of a match. Clan mechs are being released via Cbills, so don't play that card.
- " stupid, stupid people who pay for MMO and F2P are a cancer on gaming," - Childish rant not really worth addressing, but I will. Without persistent servers, how exactly are these companies supposed to run managed leagues or provide massive worlds to players? Those persistent servers require significant monthly outlays of cash. Or would you prefer something like the EA approach where they shut down the community component every two years? Yes, Kali, Quakeworld, and the like were great, but it was a niche community rather than one with global scope. Ask yourself truthfully....was American football better when the Acme Packers were playing the Staleys on a sandlot or two years ago when Green Bay played the Bears in the actual playoffs?
- "Clan wars was promised years ago, nothing." - Agreed that it is LONG overdue. But....the first two steps appeared in game in the past month.
- "New maps, well there have been some but they are so few and far between its ridiculous. New mechs, nearly as bad as the map thing" - They've released a couple of maps...with one currently on the test server. Agreed that new maps/gamemodes have been horribly few and far between. As to mechs. The clan package (8 mechs) was released and being made available to cbill purchase. They have also released a couple of hero mechs and a new IS chassis in the past two months.
- "Everything Task Said" - Other than the opinions, the FACTS were pretty spot on. As for most of the funtionality...I'd love to see Advanced Targeting and arm arcs...the rest, meh. The ECM, hitboxes, streaks, etc...all play out fine once you understand 'em.

So yeah, MWO isn't anyone's dream of what MW could be in a persistent game. But if you'll read through those answers you find one interesting bit. More has been done to MWO in the past three months than in the previous 12. Couple that with the fact that IGP/PGI have been splitting the bedsheets during that 3 month period and it opens up the possibility that the upward trend will continue.

I'm not saying it's a great game. It's not. But it enjoyable for what it is. I'm not saying it will become a great game. It won't. But hopefully the improvement will continue and at least get it to a solid persistent platform.

For the game we all want MW to be made into, it will require a top tier dev and publisher. But it will probably never get that in the modern world because the Battletech community loves to gnaw on its own fingers. Assassins Creed XXI : Resurrection is a safe bet with their investment dollars. A community of 30-40 something fickle bitches that will never be happy is not.

125 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo