Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 390 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2014, 09:39 panbient

Dang, talk about a gut punch. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is now considered 'old sci-fi'  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Namco Bandai's Profits Down; Dark Souls II Ships 1M+
1. Re: Namco Bandai's Profits Down; Dark Souls II Ships 1M+ May 8, 2014, 10:26 panbient

Well, considering they keep releasing new 'fighting' games that are moving away from multiplayer (seriously, WTF?) I'm not surprised they're losing money.

I -wanted- to throw money at my TV to unlock all the potential fighters in the new Soul Calibur release, being a 'fighting' game after all. Except there's no multiplayer - at all. It's a Soul Calibur game where the fighting is secondary and customizing your online profile is the focal point. What. The Actual. Fuck. ???

The most disappointing thing is that the game is visually great (cryengine), and the limited fighting you get is solid. But it only exists to prop up a hackneyed mobile f2p profile scheme.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 7, 2014, 10:13 panbient

Verno wrote on May 7, 2014, 09:41:
Holy shit Nintendo, don't die

And for the love of god please start releasing new games instead of just rehashing Mario / Zelda / X Kart / X Party / Wii Casual Activity.

And fix your freaking online store. Stop making gamers repurchase digital products for each system. Streamline and organize your digital distribution. Really though, if I purchased a SNES classic on the e-shop for the Wii, why do I need to pay for it again for the Wii U using the exact same account information? Why are so many classic games only available 'for a limited time', on a digital store? It's a BS false limit on the supply to justify increasing the price.

Why are there so few new games being released? So Mario Kart 8 comes with a free game? Whooptee-do! It's limited to one of the few games early adopters would already own because of the lack of variety in releases. When you only release a single major title per quarter (if that often) how are you expecting to survive?

Step out of your tower Nintendo and take a good look at what's happening on the gaming block because other players have moved into town and you really need to step up your game instead of just sniffing your own farts - unless the plan is to just become modern VCRs. While you've been navel gazing MS and Sony took control of the console market, iOS and Android have taken control of the casual market, where do you expect to fit?

There is no princess in the next castle Nintendo, time to stop chasing her and get back to business.

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
63. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 09:43 panbient

Killswitch wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:40:
And for anyone saying the victims get what they deserve... You're the epitome of society. This is exactly why there needs to be safeguards in place; because there's people like you in the world that have no empathy or remorse.

So because we take the side of 'buyer beware' in an open market we're the scourge of society? There should be safeguards in place to protect individuals from their own choices?

When governments propose invasive 'security' measures to circumvent your privacy -for your safety- do you sit there and celebrate? Do you like the idea of a thought police protecting you from your arbitrarily defined 'bad' decisions?

Watching the video linked of the game it shouldn't take a single Valve employee to warn customers of a crappy product. If you couldn't tell it was crap on your own then you have bigger issues than $20 impulse purchases. Namely the invaluable lesson of doing your own critical research before spending your own money, rather than expecting society to do it for you.

No one forced anyone to make the purchase, nor were their options limited, nor does this game sound unique. If anything individuals had to search out the opportunity to spend on this title. Is it truly a scam or just a wannabe game developer who promised far more than they could ever realistically deliver (why does this sound so familiar)?

I understand people are upset by the situation, but is it because they were scammed or because they're embarrassed by the incredibly poor decision they made? Regardless, I'd still rather have the choice be mine entirely rather than being limited to whatever corporate options are made available.

32. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 16:27 panbient

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 15:28:
Excuse me but thereís a Hugh difference when it comes to free and people spending their money on something. You canít even compare both. So your point is invalid.

They're both public distribution methods. Only difference is you and the other modders weren't asking for money (though some would ask for donations). Maybe it's a regional difference but generally speaking, it's buyer beware, especially when just about anyone can offer something for sale. This is not something Valve should police, this is a lesson more gamers need to learn. Just because the initial hype looks good doesn't mean anything, same as just because there's no suit / publisher involved doesn't mean it will be better.

I think my local pawn shop used to say it best when you bought a cd - we guarantee the disc will play, not that you'll like the music. And as far as I'm concerned, that's really all Valve needs to offer in regards to Early Access - the 'game' will do something when you run it, whether you like what it does when you run it is your own issue. That's the risk with Early Access, if you don't like it, just don't spend. It really is that easy.

12. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 10:45 panbient

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 09:59:
Why should he, when he has us to do his dirty work for him. The problem is people are too willing to buy these shit games and vote for them. Steam has been in a downfall for a while now. Constant disconnects and down times. Steam is turning into an over bloated pig. And all of these early access games are just making it worse.

Should I have complained about the NWN vault hosting your mod back in the day because the site was cluttered with 'pre-alpha' releases and hopelessly broken / never-finished mods? Seems a lot of people were willing to vote for those shit mods to keep them on the front page. (Also, thanks for that mod, it was great fun back then).

If Steam actively policed their store then people would complain about the lack of variety and the hurdles independent developers face when trying to bring a product to market. I really don't think it's Steam's responsibility to force customers to make wiser spending decisions.

I think the fact that Steam is willing to police, remove, and refund potentially fraudulent products once they've been identified by the community while keeping the platform relatively open is still the best approach.

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 Now Fully F2P
9. Re: PlanetSide 1 Now Fully F2P May 1, 2014, 15:37 panbient

Ryan Lange wrote on May 1, 2014, 14:38:
In this case, free-to-play simply means you no longer have to pay a subscription to access the game. That's it. No other changes were made. No addition of an in-game store or micro-transactions of any kind. There's literally nothing to pay for.

Thanks for the clarification. Though it begs the question why didn't they just say it's 'free', period. I would think SOE is well aware of the implications the term 'free to play' has within the gaming world. Sadly, 'free' and 'free to play', no longer mean the same thing.

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 Now Fully F2P
3. Re: PlanetSide 1 Now Fully F2P May 1, 2014, 12:25 panbient

So two years after the sequel launched as a F2P game they update the original to... compete with its own sequel? Am I missing something? Wouldn't anyone interested in playing Planetside for free already be doing that?

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
53. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 16:18 panbient

All I want to know is will there be a collector's edition, and will that collector's edition ship with a helmet bobblehead.

HELMET! HELMET! HELMET!!!

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 28, 2014, 09:17 panbient

InBlack wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 08:58:
Yeah whatever man. All I know is that I cant quit my day job and live from the live gigs alone. In (Eastern) Europe its a fucking pipe dream, unless I give up on rock music and start playing wedding receptions and shit like that. You might argue but thats music too, but there is music and then there is music. In any case no one is talking about record labels, its a struggle just to get airplay on the radio today.

The linked articles talk about labels and use their behavior as examples (flawed) to argue against the RIAA. There are so many other reasons to hate the RIAA but exploitative contracts from the labels is not one of them.

The pipe dream is no different in Canada, except you'll still be working a day job even if you choose to play wedding gigs and corporate events. Your comment about 'there is music and then there is music' underscores a bigger issue with most musicians, in the fact that a lot won't compromise their ideals. But if the artist is not willing to compromise, why does the industry need to?

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 28, 2014, 08:44 panbient

InBlack wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 03:55:
Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 13:01:
Yes RIAA is evil but the arguement that musicians are poverty-stricken is absolutely laughable.

As a struggling musician, with a day job, I can most definitely say that its not a laughing matter.

As a dude who owns a small studio's worth of gear. It's hard to hear people complain about poverty or being hungry while they noodle on a $1000 instrument. The one hitch every musician I talk to absolutely hates to hear and face is the fact that not a single one of them (myself included) ever actually -needs- to be a working musician, we would all like and want to be working musicians but it's not up to us and the RIAA is not what is holding the majority back.

The boing boing piece links to a techdirt article that showcases a bigger issue in my eyes. Mainly the fact that most musicians have no business savvy and will sign exploitative contracts regardless of how many times people speak out against them. The fact that signing to Warner Brother's screwed a band out of money is not the fault of the RIAA. Really though, how is it the RIAA's fault that a band didn't bring a contract with a label to a lawyer first to get the details explained to them in plain English?

The problem is less RIAA and more the middle man 'major' labels. Sure it's annoying to see the RIAA try to present the plight of the artist as their motivation, but when the exploitation of the artist is due to the nature of the contract between the artist and a record label to keep blaming the RIAA is kind of missing the point in my eyes.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2014, 13:16 panbient

It depends on the situation. I like a numerical summary at the end of a review. Same as a bullet point list of pros and cons.

If I'm researching a game at home the summary will give me an idea of whether or not I want to spend the time reading the review for a more detailed analysis and explanation.

On the other hand, if I'm at a game store and a flashy case / cool premise has caught my eye I'm not going to want to read a detailed review. I just want to check for an aggregate to decide whether or not I should follow through with the impulse purchase.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:37 panbient

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:26:
I completely disagree that music is NOT a vital component of the product. Ok this might be a subjective thing, but to name one example the first Diablo wouldnt have achieved cult status without the brilliant soundtrack...

That's fair, and as someone who's played music for 20 years I can relate. But what I mean by 'vital' is that the game can still function without that element. Diablo still works as a game without the music. The music absolutely adds to the experience, but it wouldn't actually break the game if it wasn't there.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 panbient

nin wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:53:
Halo, Destiny composer Marty O'Donnell fired by Bungie.

Like to know what happened there, as he's claiming "without cause"...

Sounds like a financial decision more than anything. "Without cause" means through no fault of the employee and doesn't tarnish their reputation for future work within the industry. In Canada being terminated "without cause" also affords the former employee the chance to draw unemployment benefits from the government while they look for other work or retrain / develop new skills, not entirely sure how it works out state side, but I can't see it being a negative mark on the employee.

As for the potential political angle, I doubt it, a personal clash would have happened years ago. After 15 years on the job I'd expect their salary was on the higher end of the spectrum. Again, more of a financial decision than a personal one. At a time when AAA development costs keep going up and up it seems odd to keep a composer on staff rather than contracting out as necessary (or simply licensing music) as a product nears release. That's not to say music doesn't add to a game's experience, but unless you're playing a rhythm game it's not a vital component of the product.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
128. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:03 panbient

BitWraith wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:38:
How do you people expect these folks to get their games made? Of course they're not spending this money on development. They making a profit - good on them for finding a business model that works for them. Do you seriously expect these guys to work at a completely even margin? Spending only exactly what is needed for development? They might actually want to make some money off of this.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Until there's a product released the only thing they can 'profit' from is by cannibalizing the hope and hype of their own community. Profiting from that seems akin to exploitation in my eyes. If that actually is the case then open your eyes to the scam.

Until there's a product released (does not need to be the SC game, could be branded t-shirts or mouse pads or whatever) for commercial sale they don't have a means to generate an actual profit. And the profit only exists as the difference between what they paid for those products to be created and how much they sell them for. Skimming the top of the funding pile and calling that 'profit' is fraud.

125. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 08:48 panbient

Drillo wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 06:37:
Also, wait are you implying that i work for CIG? haahhahaha/lmao/ROFL i fucking wish. Now take off that Tin foil hat and come back to reality buddy.

*laughs off in the distant*

If you keep acting like a typical street team marketer trying to shut down or disprove any perceived negativity towards the product and whitewashing or repeating PR lines for everything else then yeah, I think more and more people are going to start assuming you're a shill. CIG wouldn't need to pay cash, I'm sure the promise of a free ship once the game launches would be enough for their most enthusiastic fans to do some viral marketing on their behalf.

Also no one should ever respond to [VG]Reagle in SC threads. They've been posting the same rant forever. But at least now they're recycling a version with correct spelling. The fact that you wrote a full screen worth of text as a response to their obvious trolling kind of makes you look like a shill trying to shut down any negativity. That, or a fanboy with so much blind faith in the ideal of the product that you'll never actually give it a critical beyond the parts PR openly criticizes (ie - there's no problem with the development team, the problem is the Cry Engine NOT anyone or anything within CIG)

80. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 16:17 panbient

Sleep wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 16:10:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 16:03:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 15:52:
We'll see, DFM release is real close.

Just waiting on a landing pen for fly pig thats carrying it.

Fly pig? Lol.

Guess I'm not the only one who had a In Living Color flashback haha.

71. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 15:23 panbient

Drillo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 15:15:
How can people miss the reference to which the towel is from...42...answer to everything..

So THAT's why Douglas Adams' name is listed in the write up...

18. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 11:05 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 10:30:
Yet you have idiots like InBlack who will on every thread go "1 MILLION FOR A TOWEL LOL SCAM SCAM IDIOTS PAYING FOR A 1 MILLION DOLLAR PIXEL TOWEL THAT MY DOG COULD PROGRAM IN 1 DAY"

Yet, in every thread anyone who doesn't show blind faith and idealistic optimism towards this product's development gets dismissed as a troll / hater. Read through the thread again, no one called SCAM!. The 'addition' of a towel and a potential extra room for the hangar at this stage of development is questionable in the eyes of many and likely generates far more facepalms than raised fists. It's more of a concern in regards to how the money is being spent rather than how much money they've collected.

Seriously though, can you explain how the addition of a towel to the hangar increases the potential value of the product? How does it provide a better experience for the player? What's the actual critical benefit to its addition? Sure it's a great inside joke for fans of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but how does it help anyone get closer to flying spaceships sooner?

The defense of those additions as 'finished' art assets (same as the helmet animation in the boarding sequence) doesn't hold water. Unless everything else in the game in perfect on launch, those early 'finished' additions will be rightly seen as wasted production time that could and should have gone to address the core features of the game. If their art team is to the point of creating 'final' assets this early in development then they have mismanaged their budget and hired an imbalance of developers.

Having a towel in your space game is not any sort of core feature outside of a HGttG game or SlimRam's Space Burrito shenanigan. Is it a fun thing to make? Absolutely! But is it necessary for the core game? That's the only question that should really matter when you're still trying to build it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
137. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 19:33 panbient

deqer wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 17:02:
What's wrong with polishing the game as you develop it? I know typically polishing comes afterwards, but I personally am polishing my own product as I develop it, just so that I don't have to go back to then do polishing because it's already done.

Saluk's comment covers it perfectly. Anyone truly impressed with these clips should read it again as well. I don't want to see it fail. I don't think it's a scam. I'm just not confident in their delivery.

390 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo