Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 373 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
71. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 15:23 panbient

Drillo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 15:15:
How can people miss the reference to which the towel is from...42...answer to everything..

So THAT's why Douglas Adams' name is listed in the write up...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
18. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 11:05 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 10:30:
Yet you have idiots like InBlack who will on every thread go "1 MILLION FOR A TOWEL LOL SCAM SCAM IDIOTS PAYING FOR A 1 MILLION DOLLAR PIXEL TOWEL THAT MY DOG COULD PROGRAM IN 1 DAY"

Yet, in every thread anyone who doesn't show blind faith and idealistic optimism towards this product's development gets dismissed as a troll / hater. Read through the thread again, no one called SCAM!. The 'addition' of a towel and a potential extra room for the hangar at this stage of development is questionable in the eyes of many and likely generates far more facepalms than raised fists. It's more of a concern in regards to how the money is being spent rather than how much money they've collected.

Seriously though, can you explain how the addition of a towel to the hangar increases the potential value of the product? How does it provide a better experience for the player? What's the actual critical benefit to its addition? Sure it's a great inside joke for fans of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but how does it help anyone get closer to flying spaceships sooner?

The defense of those additions as 'finished' art assets (same as the helmet animation in the boarding sequence) doesn't hold water. Unless everything else in the game in perfect on launch, those early 'finished' additions will be rightly seen as wasted production time that could and should have gone to address the core features of the game. If their art team is to the point of creating 'final' assets this early in development then they have mismanaged their budget and hired an imbalance of developers.

Having a towel in your space game is not any sort of core feature outside of a HGttG game or SlimRam's Space Burrito shenanigan. Is it a fun thing to make? Absolutely! But is it necessary for the core game? That's the only question that should really matter when you're still trying to build it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
137. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 19:33 panbient

deqer wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 17:02:
What's wrong with polishing the game as you develop it? I know typically polishing comes afterwards, but I personally am polishing my own product as I develop it, just so that I don't have to go back to then do polishing because it's already done.

Saluk's comment covers it perfectly. Anyone truly impressed with these clips should read it again as well. I don't want to see it fail. I don't think it's a scam. I'm just not confident in their delivery.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
130. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 16:14 panbient

OMG that helmet animation

It's not even a matter of putting the cart in front of the bull. It's a matter of worrying about the spinners on the wheels on the cart.

The fact that ANY development time went into something like that helmet sequence at this stage in the production does not bode well in my eyes. I don't care what their PR machine says or how many employees they have on staff. That should not have been any sort of priority.

Bring on the burritos!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2014, 09:28 panbient

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 02:04:
I played the shit out of Guitar Hero from World Tour on, as well as Rock Band 2 and 3 plus a ton of their DLC... Got my feet wet with RB3 pro mode and now I play a proper guitar using Rocksmith, fairly well. Doubtful I'll be actually playing in a real band or anything, but vidya games did indeed teach me an instrument, and I'm getting better all the time.

I'm on the drum side of this fence, mainly because I'd already been playing guitar for years before RB existed. It's not perfect but pro-mode + midi adapter + a proper e-kit gets you feeling pretty darned close to the real thing. Still play it on PS3 once a week or so.

The concept for Rocksmith is fantastic but I really hope Harmonix maintains support for a variety of instruments in future iterations of RB. It would also be super nice if previously purchased DLC would be supported in the future but that's highly unlikely.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 11:43 panbient

In this case I think the old guard is right to be concerned. The industry is headed towards gamifying revenue streams, not towards making new games or improving on proven classics.

He also does a great job of dismissing the opportunity to define what he considers to be a game within the comments to that editorial. He comes across as just another producer who wants to make money and sees opportunity within gaming, not someone who actually wants to make games.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 9, 2014, 20:54 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 19:07:
Whitehat hacker goes too far, gets raided by FBI, tells all.

Not sure what he was expecting.

Based on what I'm reading in his reddit AMA it seems he's expecting a job with the government once this all blows over...

Yeah, there might be a little bit of idealistic hubris at play. I mean really, who in their right mind gets raided by the FBI then decides the best course of action is to host an AMA thread? His lawyer must just absolutely love him.

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
14. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 18:59 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 18:47:
How awesome did DS2 LOOK before release? Before they killed the graphical settings?

As for pizza, the more stuff on my pizza the better. I love piling as much crap on there as I can. Maybe that's just me though.

Exactly. Before they dropped the graphics to the point where it would be playable on enough machines to make it profitable enough to recoup its development costs sooner than later.

And you might just be a pizza weirdo I'm not against a large amount of toppings, but I do tend to limit the flavours. Pineapple is awesome on a Hawaiian pie, but I'm not so sure how it would taste on a Greek. Know what I mean? hehe

11. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 18:49 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 16:04:
only 3 new hires? Did you only read the top part of the update post?

Obviously.

I get that you're excited for the project, but your first post in this thread is pretty antagonizing.

And $30 only gets you access to a massive project. Until there's something released, it's only access to the project. You might think I'm not following it, and truthfully, I'm not - anymore. But I did sign up so long ago that I got a 'special VIP golden ticket'. Heck Roberts hadn't even announced the project as Star Citizen when I signed up - that's how excited I was at the hope of a new Privateer style game from the man who made the original.

Then the feature creep kicked in and the more updates I got in my email the less excited I felt and more concerned I became. I get that some of you are anxious for what seems like VR Space Captain Deluxe but there has to be focus to the scope of the design. But 18 months in, all I'm seeing is more and more expansion, my golden ticket is apparently only good for 24 months. Will I ever get to see actual action? I just wanted a newer, fancier version of Privateer. I guess that was too little to hope for as they seem intent on providing so much much more. Hopefully. Eventually.

Sure all the extra details are nice, but that's also where you find the devil. No one needs all the extra fine details, especially not before there are worthwhile proofs of concept and working mechanics in place. I understand there are multiple studios and teams all working on it. What I don't understand is why they don't seem to have focused on getting the core elements working yet. And don't just regurgitate their PR lines and dismiss my concerns as a 'hater'. Until the DFM module is in place all they're showing is a bunch of really nice assets and nice assets do not necessarily equal a great game.

6. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 15:48 panbient

Tumbler wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 13:24:
Is $45($40?) too much if the game turns out to little more than a dogfighter? Let's say it never materializes into what we'd hoped, the dogfighter happens, they add maybe a dozen ships but for whatever reason the project stalls after that, SQ42 comes out and it's pretty terrible. Very few want to play it, and CIG decides to scrap the rest of the project because there is no point in building a game people won't play. Or worse the Cryengine just can't do enough and a dogfighting sim is about all it can be.

$40-45 for a basic dogfighter? Like you said, I'd probably wait for a sale. But our personal financial situations probably aren't the same either. That 2nd part is PRECISELY what the 'negative' people are concerned with.

The big divide is still the concept of 'buying in'. I don't think it's possible for RSI / CIG to show much of anything that is going to convince the more cynical gaming crowd to do more than wait and see what's available at release.

Like that HUD image. Sure it looks great, but it's a mock up. It even says so in the file name. Will it actually look like that in game? Perhaps, but right now it's still just concept art.

That ship looks really nice too, but tell me, when's the last time you were able to pay attention to the intricate details of a ship model in the middle of a dogfight? Why does it need a fine print warning to not step on the flap? What are the developers actually focused on? Making it work? Or making it look really pretty? Makes for great PR material though...

Either way PAX East is coming up fast and we should have substantially more to see soon. I'll be watching but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

3. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:10 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:12:
where are all the THIS IS SCAM posts on the Star Citizen Monthly March update? It is clearly a scam and that full post is all made up shit, because you know.... coke and hookers?

White knight it harder dude. Maybe they'll make you an NPC in the actual game.

As its been said plenty of times, most of the 'negativity' isn't from trolls screaming scam, it's from people who've already taken a ride on the CR roller coaster in the past and who would rather remain cautious in the face of his present claims. Even people like me who look at SC updates and think 'WTF, enough with the hype and promises for the moon', we actually WANT a great space-sim (I absolutely LOVED Privateer). We really do. We're just not confident in anything that tries to promise everything (as he's done in the past). It's less about being negative and more about being realistic in regards to what's possible. Pretty sure a lot of us will start singing a different tune once RSI does more than just spew hype / collect money. And frankly, I really hope it's not 'we told you so'.

Constant involvement and interaction with the community is great for PR / hype purposes, as they've currently proven. But it's horrible for actual project development, as they've also currently proven by not really releasing / showing much of anything / pushing the DFM back for a redo. Design by committee always turns into a mess. They mention 3 new hires in the most recent update - a production coordinator (ie - manager) - a marketing associate (hype maker) - and an assistant community manager (hype coordinator). Only one of those jobs actually helps the product materialize, the other two help feed the fund raising machine.

Ever try a pizza with every possible topping? How tasty is it really? I guess we'll have to wait until PAX East to find out. I'll admit the concept art definitely looks great. But how awesome did the art for Dark Souls 2 look prior to release?

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
14. Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 10:42 panbient

Panickd wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:11:
So if you're a game designer you shouldn't dream big or try anything that hasn't been done before? Got it.

Correct. Pretty much. Every single interview I've read with a major designer over the last... 20 years, seems to underline this thought. Basically, feel free to dream big, but, and this is key, BE REALISTIC with your design. Innovate and improve on existing features to provide a better experience rather than putting all your eggs in an unproven basket. More importantly, recognize what is feasible in the current market and the timeframe within which you want to launch so that you actually have a good shot at not just hitting the target but nailing the bullseye.

Right now all I'm seeing / reading about SC is claims that we'll be able to hit a target on the moon with a bow and arrow from our backyards. While the idea is pretty cool, how realistic does it actually sound?

Like so many others, I too remember the development of Freelancer and nothing from RSI is dulling my apprehension for SC.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
31. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 21:46 panbient

No Space Burritos?

No Space Dollars!

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 10:56 panbient

McTurbo wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 09:29:
whats killing Nintendo is an inability to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

No. What's killing Nintendo is the fact that whenever a gamer walks into a store they'll usually see an entire WALL (or 2) full of PS / Xbox games and only a 3 foot wide shelf of Nintendo games for both their home and handheld consoles. They need a wider variety of available games - but not the endless shovelware that plagued the DS. I'm really curious to see what Unity support will do for the Wii U.

It's also flawed to compare the regular Mario / Zelda / Donkey Kong iterations with something like Madden. At least Nintendo is actually creating new games for those IPs rather than just annually updating the player roster between 4 year engine updates a la EA Sports Whatever.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2014, 17:02 panbient

DangerDog wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 16:02:
Yes John, nothing wrong with companies like Facebook selling your personal data to the highest bidder.

[url=]http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/26/technology/social/facebook-credit-score/[/url]

... nothing in that article refers to FB selling personal / consumer data. Credit companies turning to FB to judge potential borrowers is not a mark against FB, rather a reflection of our changing society.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
42. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 16:07 panbient

Panickd wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 13:54:
Hell, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin only went to the moon once! But no one is going up to Buzz Aldrin these days and going, "Yeah, but what have you done lately?"

... did you honestly compare a video game designer to astronauts? And not just any, but the only human beings to step foot on the moon?

Really? Even as a hyperbolic statement that's ridiculous. When did those astronauts blame the public for the failure of their pet projects the way Molyneux blamed the industry (and its emotional immaturity - we were not 'ready' for such emotions) for the failure of Milo?

I like games and all but seriously, this cult of personality / white knighting of developers by some is getting ridiculous.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
3. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 09:44 panbient

He sounds like a record exec from the '00s still struggling to understand the impact the internet has had on mainstream media. Of all industries I would have expected the old guard of gaming to be the most adaptable.

Yes, there is definitely a cyclic aspect to any sort of 'revolution' but unless the medium itself changes drastically I don't see how the independent level will disappear the same way it did in the early 90s. Just like music, the bigger indie names will be gobbled up by publishers, but just like music there are plenty of cheap studio / development products and distribution outlets that will allow fans to create their own material independently.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 20, 2014, 22:27 panbient

That Square Enix headline is only mildly deceptive. VP of Strategic Marketing may be a type of boss but not 'the' boss. Nor is a global brand manager vital to the design or development of a game, maybe for focused sales and revenue, but not the actual creation of the product.

Dude just got a way better offer.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2014, 15:08 panbient

nin wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 10:13:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 10:03:
Not sure if it's just me, but it's nice to have 'old' Blizzard back.

No, at least as far as Diablo, I'm feelin it, too. I'm more than a little surprised they pulled it off, but it's FUN now!

Somewhat ironically, Diablo has been loads of fun since it came out on consoles last Fall. I tried going back to the PC version this past weekend, but it's just not the same. Something about the subtle difference in control / agency I feel when using a gamepad over the mouse and keyboard. It's like directly moving your character into position rather than commanding it to move to a location.

I'll concede that it might not be for everyone, but if you've got a good couch co-op buddy (or 3) it's a blast. I just hope Blizzard and Sony are waiting until after RoS is released for the PS4 to announce it for the PS3 though I've got my doubts.

News Comments > Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses
29. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 17:31 panbient

deqer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 16:33:
You know what "fine-print" is, right? The very definition and purpose of "fine-print" is to "trick" you.

So why would they print it on all 6 sides of the box if it was supposed to be subversive?

373 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo