Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 366 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
14. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 18:59 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 18:47:
How awesome did DS2 LOOK before release? Before they killed the graphical settings?

As for pizza, the more stuff on my pizza the better. I love piling as much crap on there as I can. Maybe that's just me though.

Exactly. Before they dropped the graphics to the point where it would be playable on enough machines to make it profitable enough to recoup its development costs sooner than later.

And you might just be a pizza weirdo I'm not against a large amount of toppings, but I do tend to limit the flavours. Pineapple is awesome on a Hawaiian pie, but I'm not so sure how it would taste on a Greek. Know what I mean? hehe

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 18:49 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 16:04:
only 3 new hires? Did you only read the top part of the update post?

Obviously.

I get that you're excited for the project, but your first post in this thread is pretty antagonizing.

And $30 only gets you access to a massive project. Until there's something released, it's only access to the project. You might think I'm not following it, and truthfully, I'm not - anymore. But I did sign up so long ago that I got a 'special VIP golden ticket'. Heck Roberts hadn't even announced the project as Star Citizen when I signed up - that's how excited I was at the hope of a new Privateer style game from the man who made the original.

Then the feature creep kicked in and the more updates I got in my email the less excited I felt and more concerned I became. I get that some of you are anxious for what seems like VR Space Captain Deluxe but there has to be focus to the scope of the design. But 18 months in, all I'm seeing is more and more expansion, my golden ticket is apparently only good for 24 months. Will I ever get to see actual action? I just wanted a newer, fancier version of Privateer. I guess that was too little to hope for as they seem intent on providing so much much more. Hopefully. Eventually.

Sure all the extra details are nice, but that's also where you find the devil. No one needs all the extra fine details, especially not before there are worthwhile proofs of concept and working mechanics in place. I understand there are multiple studios and teams all working on it. What I don't understand is why they don't seem to have focused on getting the core elements working yet. And don't just regurgitate their PR lines and dismiss my concerns as a 'hater'. Until the DFM module is in place all they're showing is a bunch of really nice assets and nice assets do not necessarily equal a great game.

6. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 15:48 panbient

Tumbler wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 13:24:
Is $45($40?) too much if the game turns out to little more than a dogfighter? Let's say it never materializes into what we'd hoped, the dogfighter happens, they add maybe a dozen ships but for whatever reason the project stalls after that, SQ42 comes out and it's pretty terrible. Very few want to play it, and CIG decides to scrap the rest of the project because there is no point in building a game people won't play. Or worse the Cryengine just can't do enough and a dogfighting sim is about all it can be.

$40-45 for a basic dogfighter? Like you said, I'd probably wait for a sale. But our personal financial situations probably aren't the same either. That 2nd part is PRECISELY what the 'negative' people are concerned with.

The big divide is still the concept of 'buying in'. I don't think it's possible for RSI / CIG to show much of anything that is going to convince the more cynical gaming crowd to do more than wait and see what's available at release.

Like that HUD image. Sure it looks great, but it's a mock up. It even says so in the file name. Will it actually look like that in game? Perhaps, but right now it's still just concept art.

That ship looks really nice too, but tell me, when's the last time you were able to pay attention to the intricate details of a ship model in the middle of a dogfight? Why does it need a fine print warning to not step on the flap? What are the developers actually focused on? Making it work? Or making it look really pretty? Makes for great PR material though...

Either way PAX East is coming up fast and we should have substantially more to see soon. I'll be watching but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

3. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:10 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:12:
where are all the THIS IS SCAM posts on the Star Citizen Monthly March update? It is clearly a scam and that full post is all made up shit, because you know.... coke and hookers?

White knight it harder dude. Maybe they'll make you an NPC in the actual game.

As its been said plenty of times, most of the 'negativity' isn't from trolls screaming scam, it's from people who've already taken a ride on the CR roller coaster in the past and who would rather remain cautious in the face of his present claims. Even people like me who look at SC updates and think 'WTF, enough with the hype and promises for the moon', we actually WANT a great space-sim (I absolutely LOVED Privateer). We really do. We're just not confident in anything that tries to promise everything (as he's done in the past). It's less about being negative and more about being realistic in regards to what's possible. Pretty sure a lot of us will start singing a different tune once RSI does more than just spew hype / collect money. And frankly, I really hope it's not 'we told you so'.

Constant involvement and interaction with the community is great for PR / hype purposes, as they've currently proven. But it's horrible for actual project development, as they've also currently proven by not really releasing / showing much of anything / pushing the DFM back for a redo. Design by committee always turns into a mess. They mention 3 new hires in the most recent update - a production coordinator (ie - manager) - a marketing associate (hype maker) - and an assistant community manager (hype coordinator). Only one of those jobs actually helps the product materialize, the other two help feed the fund raising machine.

Ever try a pizza with every possible topping? How tasty is it really? I guess we'll have to wait until PAX East to find out. I'll admit the concept art definitely looks great. But how awesome did the art for Dark Souls 2 look prior to release?

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
14. Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 10:42 panbient

Panickd wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:11:
So if you're a game designer you shouldn't dream big or try anything that hasn't been done before? Got it.

Correct. Pretty much. Every single interview I've read with a major designer over the last... 20 years, seems to underline this thought. Basically, feel free to dream big, but, and this is key, BE REALISTIC with your design. Innovate and improve on existing features to provide a better experience rather than putting all your eggs in an unproven basket. More importantly, recognize what is feasible in the current market and the timeframe within which you want to launch so that you actually have a good shot at not just hitting the target but nailing the bullseye.

Right now all I'm seeing / reading about SC is claims that we'll be able to hit a target on the moon with a bow and arrow from our backyards. While the idea is pretty cool, how realistic does it actually sound?

Like so many others, I too remember the development of Freelancer and nothing from RSI is dulling my apprehension for SC.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
31. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 21:46 panbient

No Space Burritos?

No Space Dollars!

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 10:56 panbient

McTurbo wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 09:29:
whats killing Nintendo is an inability to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

No. What's killing Nintendo is the fact that whenever a gamer walks into a store they'll usually see an entire WALL (or 2) full of PS / Xbox games and only a 3 foot wide shelf of Nintendo games for both their home and handheld consoles. They need a wider variety of available games - but not the endless shovelware that plagued the DS. I'm really curious to see what Unity support will do for the Wii U.

It's also flawed to compare the regular Mario / Zelda / Donkey Kong iterations with something like Madden. At least Nintendo is actually creating new games for those IPs rather than just annually updating the player roster between 4 year engine updates a la EA Sports Whatever.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2014, 17:02 panbient

DangerDog wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 16:02:
Yes John, nothing wrong with companies like Facebook selling your personal data to the highest bidder.

[url=]http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/26/technology/social/facebook-credit-score/[/url]

... nothing in that article refers to FB selling personal / consumer data. Credit companies turning to FB to judge potential borrowers is not a mark against FB, rather a reflection of our changing society.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
42. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 16:07 panbient

Panickd wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 13:54:
Hell, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin only went to the moon once! But no one is going up to Buzz Aldrin these days and going, "Yeah, but what have you done lately?"

... did you honestly compare a video game designer to astronauts? And not just any, but the only human beings to step foot on the moon?

Really? Even as a hyperbolic statement that's ridiculous. When did those astronauts blame the public for the failure of their pet projects the way Molyneux blamed the industry (and its emotional immaturity - we were not 'ready' for such emotions) for the failure of Milo?

I like games and all but seriously, this cult of personality / white knighting of developers by some is getting ridiculous.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
3. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 09:44 panbient

He sounds like a record exec from the '00s still struggling to understand the impact the internet has had on mainstream media. Of all industries I would have expected the old guard of gaming to be the most adaptable.

Yes, there is definitely a cyclic aspect to any sort of 'revolution' but unless the medium itself changes drastically I don't see how the independent level will disappear the same way it did in the early 90s. Just like music, the bigger indie names will be gobbled up by publishers, but just like music there are plenty of cheap studio / development products and distribution outlets that will allow fans to create their own material independently.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 20, 2014, 22:27 panbient

That Square Enix headline is only mildly deceptive. VP of Strategic Marketing may be a type of boss but not 'the' boss. Nor is a global brand manager vital to the design or development of a game, maybe for focused sales and revenue, but not the actual creation of the product.

Dude just got a way better offer.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2014, 15:08 panbient

nin wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 10:13:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 10:03:
Not sure if it's just me, but it's nice to have 'old' Blizzard back.

No, at least as far as Diablo, I'm feelin it, too. I'm more than a little surprised they pulled it off, but it's FUN now!

Somewhat ironically, Diablo has been loads of fun since it came out on consoles last Fall. I tried going back to the PC version this past weekend, but it's just not the same. Something about the subtle difference in control / agency I feel when using a gamepad over the mouse and keyboard. It's like directly moving your character into position rather than commanding it to move to a location.

I'll concede that it might not be for everyone, but if you've got a good couch co-op buddy (or 3) it's a blast. I just hope Blizzard and Sony are waiting until after RoS is released for the PS4 to announce it for the PS3 though I've got my doubts.

News Comments > Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses
29. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 17:31 panbient

deqer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 16:33:
You know what "fine-print" is, right? The very definition and purpose of "fine-print" is to "trick" you.

So why would they print it on all 6 sides of the box if it was supposed to be subversive?

News Comments > Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses
9. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 10:38 panbient

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:07:
Regardless, the fact remains it shouldn't be necessary to be on-line for solo play. And I've not heard or seen an legitimate argument to indicate otherwise.

Hardcore characters. Like the first part of the comment you snipped.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 19, 2014, 10:15 panbient

WOW!!! 50% off selected X-Hero DLC for the next 12 days...

Most Rock Band DLC has been 50% off since they stopped releasing new tracks a year ago. Just another example of how Activision botched that cash cow. I really liked how every new GH seemed to allow you to import a little less than the last one, if at all.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:16 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:51:
Sony should be worst company in America, except that they're a Japanese company.

Why? Genuinely curious here.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
19. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 panbient

Now that they've 'fixed' the auction house what are the odds of cross platform MP? I know Blizzard has said no in the past but they also said the AH was an integral part of the product...

I'd really rather just play it on my PS3 while most of my friends are attached to their PC characters. I just prefer the subtle distinction of actually moving my character rather than clicking on where I want it to go. At the same time I suppose gamepad support for the PC version would work too.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Mar 17, 2014, 11:03 panbient

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 17:31:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 16:43:
I challenge anyone to show me a single example of a videogame movie that didn't suck.

People seemed to like the first Mortal Kombat, though I never saw it. I liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I'll vouch for the first MK movie. Don't go in there expecting high-brow cinema but as far as rainy Saturday afternoon action flicks go, it's great.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 15:13 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:10:
If you can make games... and you are making $15 an hour. Be like Gary, he has now made two games at more than 30 million in revenue each. If you can make games why settle for money a waitress can make more at? You have a mad skill. You are skilled labor.

Congratulations on getting really lucky.

This bit reads like the same crap my aunts throw at me when they wonder why I didn't invent facebook or google because I could make HTML pages back in the day... Garry got VERY lucky. Why didn't you make Flappy Bird?

By 'business development' do you mean middle management or actually entrepreneurship and starting your own company? In which case not everyone has access to the venture capital to get a business started nor are there always the available talent pools to staff the endeavor. Same as not everyone has the stomach or political acumen necessary for middle management.

You also don't seem to want to consider the fact that the developer asking for $100k a year will be reminded that they can easily be replaced by 3 juniors for 10k less than their desired salary who will be willing to put the overtime crunch necessary to accomplish the same results. How many developers working beneath you are making 6 figure salaries?

I will agree that it feels exploitative and like you're living a very bad joke. It's probably why I've quit it again. The industry is only getting busier, not better.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 11:28 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:40:
Can't speak for the Mexican's. But then I hope those not making 100K are getting profit sharing then. 50k avg? Then we can bring in all the extra cost beyond salaries.

Man I WISH I had managed to work in whatever magical dreamland of development you envision. The average is closer to $30-40k / year. Especially for unproven / fresh talent. Which is EASY to find when there are so many people desperate for legitimate 'industry experience'.

Really though... 100k / year as an average for a video game developer? WOW... just wow.

366 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo