Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 524 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Version 1.1
25. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 22, 2015, 20:28 panbient

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 16:27:

What people should be moaning about is the fact that the new download system required uninstalling the game and redownloading it all again. People should be annoyed that the original upload for 1.1 was corrupted, meaning that downloads had to be reset. People should be annoyed despite that issue being fixed the install still crapped out at the end, with the workaround to be enabling patch repair under settings. People should be annoyed that the online multiplayer is broken, with CIG advising people not to bother until Monday.

Good. Use your aggressive feelings, kitty cat. Let the hate flow through you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 8, 2015, 22:28 panbient

MindStalker3 wrote on Mar 8, 2015, 17:01:
Maybe if they want to add a feature like new instrument support, they just make it a free update.

If anything in the genre justified a paid expansion new instrument support would be it. New versions weren't bad as they did provide new soundtracks the hassle was playing old content through newer versions. Harmonix got it right with allowing users to import the bulk of their old content into the new game and always added substantial improvements with each version.

GH was just a mess by the end of it, which was unfortunate since they had a lot of great tunes. Personally, I preferred the GH soundtracks but RB was just a better overall product.

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 7, 2015, 13:24 panbient

Top Tier soundtrack?

Dark Side of The Moon please and thank you.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 5, 2015, 21:09 panbient

Blue wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:59:
Here's the big question I haven't seen addressed... will they finally manage to bring The Beatles Rock Band content to the main game?

Doubt it. I don't ever recall Harmonix calling it anything more than a technical issue, something about the video backgrounds being too intricately tied to the tunes. I'd be very happy to be wrong about that though.

As for the foot pedal thing. After having gone through 2 plastic ones I stripped the guts from one of them and hooked them up to an entry level Pearl kick pedal. It worked flawlessly until I got a real e-kit.

It's a simple mod. There are 2 main components, a magnet embedded into the pedal itself and a wired sensor in the base. Setup the hammer so that it strikes the latch that would normally hook up to a bass drum when you kick. Superglue the magnet to the fastener at the edge of the center bar. Duct tape the sensor on the side nearest the magnet and adjust it so that they make contact when the hammer hits the frame. It took me longer to figure out how to type this than it did to make it work.

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:02:

Rock Band 4 will focus on the core experience and the roots of the franchise – guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. There will be no Pro Guitar or key support in Rock Band 4. We will continue to support “Pro” mode for Drums.

This doesn't really surprise me given their experience with pro mode. The pro-drums are just a graphic swap based on the underlying sample of the chart. Pro-guitar was a novel concept but unless they go 1:1 with Rocksmith it seems like a futile endeavor.

On the other hand I am kind of surprised they'd drop keys but not really. Not everyone likes piano rock and if you spent the money on a keyboard you probably wouldn't want to be forced to use it to try playing guitar or bass parts.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
25. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 28, 2015, 20:16 panbient

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 14:18:
Gun range is rarely realistic so all you end up with in most games (as far as sniper rifles go) is a regular gun that does a ton of damage on crit.

If you tried to model a sniper rifle in a lot of modern turn based games you'd just be shooting NPCs from 7 screens away and then watching their dumb AI try to get to you. Alternatively you would be the one taking cover from 7 screens away trying to get to your assailant.

It kind of sounds like the sort of fun that would get boring and aggravating really fast.

Would asking for more than maybe 2-3 tiles of sniper rifle range compared to an assault rifle be that game breaking though? Maybe just get rid of sniper range entirely and if you have line of sight you have progressively less chance to hit.

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 28, 2015, 14:40 panbient

Recognize guitar / music games for the niche they are. The people who like them will support them.

Having said that, I don't think the industry should bother with a new generation of plastic pseudo-instruments. Go the Rocksmith route and let the players buy their own gear and provide a custom interface. That way when people come over, they won't see a bunch of plastic 'toys' cluttering your living room, they'll just see musical instruments.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena Announced
15. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena Announced Feb 27, 2015, 00:52 panbient

Orogogus wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 12:49:
panbient wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 10:55:
On the other hand Relic never tried selling The Last Stand as a stand alone product.

Am I misunderstanding, or isn't that exactly what Relic did?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/56438/

That; that's The Last Stand as a standalone product, isn't it? For $10?

My bad. I just got the DoW games pretty much on release and enjoyed the mode as an addition to the regular game. Never did beat wave 20 either

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena Announced
10. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena Announced Feb 26, 2015, 10:55 panbient

On one hand it's not a horrible idea given the popularity of other MOBAs and The Last Stand mode from the DoW2 games.

On the other hand Relic never tried selling The Last Stand as a stand alone product. Minimum $25? I don't think so. And while I enjoy twin-stick shooters on my ps3, I'm not nearly as interested in them on my pc.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
81. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 09:18 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 08:14:
I still don't understand how it's a bad thing that rich people help fund the game for the rest of us...

That was never really an issue.

The issue was the fact that the scope of the project keeps expanding and seems to be looking at the funding as a revenue stream (that will keep providing money) rather than start-up capital (to get the job that was pitched done). It went from being "we're hoping to get X amount of money to make Y game" to "we'll keep adding to Z game until we stop getting money then you'll get what you get".

The fact that it's an unprecedented project should be a concern rather than a justification for the behaviour.

Here's the other thing, most rich people don't like wasting money (one of the fundamental reasons why they're rich in the first place). They like getting something back from their spending, even if the results seem absurd to poor people. And if they don't get something back, they can afford lawyers who can rather than just raging about getting screwed over on the internet like the rest of us.

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Demo & DLC
3. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Demo & DLC Feb 20, 2015, 14:35 panbient

... and it's only a 26 GB download...

what the actual shit?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 19, 2015, 19:15 panbient

I'll fess up. A new Rock Band game would make me get PS4.

I can definitely understand wanting to step away from plastic 'toy' instruments. But at the same time I really hope it doesn't just turn into a karaoke game as well. RB Blitz wasn't horrible but it's not at all the same experience. Maybe make the instruments optional? No instrument play, no sale for me.

Pro-mode was a great concept but ultimately botched. Their fancy Fender midi guitar was nearly impossible to find. Then there was the issue with Pro-guitar/bass DLC not only being sold as a premium to the regular chart but also required by all players if you wanted to use that mode online. Which meant the vast majority of online Pro playing was limited to the on-disc RB3 content. Keyboard seemed pretty cool too though I never actually tried it.

It also seems to me Rocksmith has proven the viability of playing real guitar through your console since then, and I can't see why Harmonix / Rock Band would step away from that. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
31. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 21:34 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 21:03:
who owns the rights to the System Shock IP?

As of a few years ago it was an insurance company who had the rights, but EA had the trademark on the name.

So while anyone could potentially secure the rights from that random company, they'd still need EA's approval for the name.

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
23. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 17:07 panbient

Blue wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 11:24:
Icewind wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 11:15:
Someone call Tom Hall and let him know about this. The sequel must be made.

Is Tom ok? Last I heard he had a heart attack. Would love to see him make Ananchronox 2.

Actually it was a stroke, but as far as I know he's made a complete recovery.

I hope the recovery is accurate. I also hope he manages to somehow become involved in whatever might happen with Anachronox. I mean, he was the mo-cap model for Boots' dancing after all (on top of everything else). The world needs more of that. As well as finishing that conversation with Grumpos.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
43. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 09:08 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 08:58:
especially when you knew beforehand that these promises were impossible to meet.

That's the part I'm not convinced exists and the line between being hopeful and deceitful.

If you KNOW ahead of time that you cannot ever deliver on what you're saying then yeah it's bad on you - that's the lie. On the other hand if you're pitching greatness it's on the investor to decide if it's feasible and worth the risk of putting their money down. Like it or not, that's how business works.

Kickstarter / crowd funding pitches are not contracts. They're marketing tools.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
41. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 08:49 panbient

The Magician wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 07:30:
Xil wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 02:11:
took me ages to read the RPS article, they did not go gentle on him and at times I thought he would totally break or something....

We should have RPS interview politicians.

That would require people to actually pay attention to politics with the same level of interest as video games. Hell most gamers wouldn't ever install a game if they paid as much attention to the contents of the EULA as they did to marketing hype they routinely dissect - all for the benefit of what boils down to semantic arguments (they said 'they WILL have this feature' rather than 'they would really like to implement this feature' it's FRAUD!!!!!)

Molyneux already had a reputation as being an idealistic dreamer who routinely overpromised (likely due to getting over excited about the possibility of his projects with no one able to pull him back down to the reality of his projects).

On the other hand RPS made themselves seem like bullies with this interview.

And as for his comment about lies I'm guessing he interprets lying as something with actual intent to deceive. I don't think he does that. I really do think he'd like to deliver on everything he claims. Being unrealistic is not the same as lying. RPS never bothered getting clarification, they just kept pushing their own agenda.

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
8. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 12, 2015, 19:06 panbient

harlock wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 18:45:
looks like NWN 2015

Exactly what I was thinking. And considering how much I played those games I'm extra super stoked for this.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Finds Lost Vikings
8. Re: Heroes of the Storm Finds Lost Vikings Feb 11, 2015, 13:51 panbient

Xero wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:28:
The thing is, at that point, your going to have every single character from every Blizzard game thrown in here, lol

Bring on the Rock N Roll Racing drivers!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 10:29 panbient

Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:33:
We're running out of room for the snow, we really need a brief thaw here. The snow mounds in my driveway (thanks mister plow) are so high that I have to be almost halfway into the street to see if theres traffic coming.

I am totally starting to understand that guy who took a flamethrower to the snow in his yard.

I hear ya there. We got more than 6 feet over the course of like 9 days at the start of the month here. I'm 6'3" and a lot of the banks along the street are still chest / shoulder height.

And we're supposed to get another foot on Sunday Cry

News Comments > Original Early Access Game Pulled
22. Re: Original Early Access Game Pulled Feb 9, 2015, 17:48 panbient

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 17:15:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 15:03:
Do you work for free? Why should anyone else?

Lots of people do. It's called volunteering. And if you take money for something promised you're legally bound to deliver that or it's fraud. If you pay me for an order of widgets and I deliver you a box of them only half done you're going to want what you paid for or your money back, right? This is no different. I have to carry liability insurance for the stuff I make, and so should they. Personally I think government watch dogs need to start regulating this stuff seeing as Steam and others aren't - when they should be seeing as they're profiting from it.

You're also comparing objective and subjective products. Regardless of that, if you checked the thread both the developer and programmer address the issue in more detail. They apparently ran out of money a year ago and both still kept working on it until now.

The coder didn't leave because of money, he left because they had fundamental differences on development methods. He wanted to work with a plan, clear objectives and methods to reach them. The other guy (the dreamer) did not, he wanted to be able to make changes on the fly and develop on whim and gut instinct.

It's not that one way is necessarily better than the other, but they do not work well together.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 3, 2015, 22:54 panbient

garrywong wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:07:
I don't know why anyone would want to try and rebuild a very good game when instead you could use those same assets to instead extend on the vast world with new stories.

Because it gives you the option to replay it with newer / nicer tech and all within one package.

Though personally I'd rather see a Warcraft 2 remake inside SC2. THAT would be super awesome.

524 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo