Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 551 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr Revealed
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr Revealed Jul 15, 2015, 18:26 panbient

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 18:18:
So it's like Warhammer 40k Diablo style?

That would be awesome. So probably not. I'm guessing it'll be more like Space Marine in an open world setting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
88. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 20:40 panbient

JohnnyRotten wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:20:

See my other post for my take on the crowdsourced private=public argument that DS is trying to make. The term "right" implies a legal (not moral or ethical) construct. So the kickstarter contract and whatever contract CIG offered for donations on their site would be applicable.

That's cool, thanks for the insight. Though I'm sure you can understand why it seems to many that they're taking advantage of both sides as well where they can present themselves as a charity case while operating as a private business.

Then again I suppose that's why there's more talk in regards to more regulations with crowdfunded endeavors.

News Comments > Op Ed
86. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 20:02 panbient

JohnnyRotten wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 19:45:
panbient wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 19:35:
Where he's no longer a backer he's no longer got the right to make the request as a concerned project supporter / investor / donator / sucker / whatever.

That's one of the straw men - no private individual has the inherent legal right to demand the PNL of a private company in and of itself, backer or no. How would you do that? Is there a standard form? Is there a disclosure time limit? A cost for gathering the information? In what form must the PNL disclosure take? At what level of detail? What information could be considered privileged? Must it be certified by board members?

Ludicrous.

Now the issue of his standing in general to file any sort of legal claim based on his now refunded original investment could be an interesting one. Not sure how he could show any kind of harm though.

I'm not disagreeing and I'm no lawyer or even close to a legal expert but doesn't that first situation fall into a bit of a gray area?

Where the language being used is that backers are providing donations doesn't it become kind of like a charity of sorts? Don't individuals have a right and ability to get a basic overview of how the money is being spent prior to making a donation to the United Way or Red Cross or whatever? It's nice to know if the money is mainly going to the needy or just back to more fundraising efforts, most don't care how much a receptionist is getting paid.

Either way I'm not invested, I just wanted an HD remake of Privateer. But I can't help but pay attention to how this plays out and the effect it will have on the industry in one way or another.

News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 19:35 panbient

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:37:
I think this should answer your question.
From forums.robertsspaceindustries.com
Hey guys!

I believe I can clarify this. We refunded Mr. Smart’s package because he was using Star Citizen as a platform to gain attention as part of a campaign to promote his ‘Line of Defense’ space game.

I do now want to stress that that is not to say you can get your money back by simply being as obnoxious as possible; we’re also able to ban accounts from the forums without requiring a refund. But sometimes we take a look at a user and decide that they’re so toxic or their intentions are so sinister that we simply don’t want them associated with Star Citizen.

I can understand their decision to not want an association with competitors / toxic people etc. And while Smart did refer to his own products throughout his articles they seemed more in terms of reinforcing the idea that he knew what he was talking about or at least had relevant experience.

I don't recall seeing any sort of development based concern that I hadn't already contemplated and commented about (aside from the legal stuff), same as plenty of other critical thinking / tech minded gamers. The difference being his voice has clout whether anyone likes it or not. Smart did step up back in the day and swung for far beyond the fences and did so with a twig instead of a baseball bat and a lot of us saw the result (some first hand). But at least he tried and seems to have owned up to the subsequent results. I think it's safe to say not many of us have even given serious contemplation to producing anything of that scope and complexity never mind actually trying. Anyone doing so even right now is quickly coming up with the same (sane) conclusion - nope, nope nope nope nope, NOOOOOooooope!

Having said all that I don't believe for a second this CIG justification for a refund has anything to do with a toxic personality and pretty much everything to do with a not at all subtle legal threat to make basic profit and loss accounting numbers public.

Where he's no longer a backer he's no longer got the right to make the request as a concerned project supporter / investor / donator / sucker / whatever.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 09:58 panbient

This reminds me... did nin get their refund? Or do you have to publish a 20 000 word complaint first?  

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
150. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 10:23 panbient

bobbyric wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 21:13:

You say "of this scope" as if games like Arkham Knight or GTA or Assassin's Creed are not of the same scope. Sure they don't let you "visit planets" and all that crap, but under the hood those action games are @#!)@! huge, beyond the scope of anything Smart has ever done.

There's a big difference between being able to perform the same set of actions 1000 times over (like your examples) and being able to perform 1000 unique actions once (like the sims being discussed). That's the difference in scope most people are talking about.

Kind of like how there are more steps involved in just getting an airplane off the ground in a DCS title than there are stages in a HAWX game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 7, 2015, 16:36 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 14:17:
VR will be a niche tech, but a successful one. It won't be a flash in the pan, as many naysayers claim, but nor will it be ubiquitous as Zuckerberg opines.

I think it'll be about as successful as 3d tv.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
35. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 12:47 panbient

Zor wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:07:
It's a hard cover book of the entire publication, I believe. It's something they will put out once it's all done. I think they took pre-orders for it awhile back to gauge interest?

Ok that's actually pretty cool as a retrospective kind of thing. But at the same time considering everything else they've tried to do I wouldn't have been that surprised had they tried to revive monthly print media hahaha

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
29. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 10:47 panbient

Zor wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:01:
The "information" that comes from the community team is accessible to everyone with exception of the monthly magazine. That is eventually going to be available to everyone in physical form, though.

Are you saying they're planning on publishing a paper magazine? Like the print medium that's been disappearing over recent years?

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
91. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 6, 2015, 20:39 panbient

dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:21:
panbient wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:07:
dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 19:43:

This one guy, went completely over-the-top with his complaint. You have to read it to believe it.

Well... I think we know the real name of the dude who started that Pyramid Scheme thread on the CIG forums now hahaha.

Wait! was that him? I didn't even make the connection, since his complaint had a lot more detail. It just looked to me that it was a copy and paste job, with new bits added. So it probably isn't him (he's banned now btw, he was previously on probation)

Yeah I was just guessing too but there are a few passages that are super close. Not sure if it's really a copy / paste job so much as a first draft on the forums / final draft for the feds (mixed in with all the other copy paste supporting arguments and examples).

Not at all surprised that he got banned either, I found it kind of funny that most of the people who agreed or supported his perspective ended up being put on probation as well hahaha

87. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 6, 2015, 20:07 panbient

dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 19:43:

This one guy, went completely over-the-top with his complaint. You have to read it to believe it.

Well... I think we know the real name of the dude who started that Pyramid Scheme thread on the CIG forums now hahaha.

29. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 12:06 panbient

Dacron wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:58:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that...

FPS delayed indefinitely

But then there's this - new German office

Where this new office is apparently creating content for the FPS and SQ42 campaign. At this point I don't think anyone has any clear view as to just what's really going on - Chris Roberts included.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 15:43 panbient

As someone who tried downloading Battlecruiser on a 56.6 modem back in the day this was a very interesting read (never did get it to run).

Ultimately these designers seem like racehorses to me, they have great potential and ability. But just like racehorses, they need a jockey to win the race, and in some cases blinders and other equipment to keep them focused on the goal. Unfortunately in these cases they started running full tilt before anyone could start to narrow the focus into an achievable target. And while they might be the strongest and fastest horse in the field, they're not actually running in the race anymore.

And there's no trophy for just running wild. It was one thing when Derek Smart was doing it with his own resources, this is a whole other potential mess.

News Comments > Independent Consolidation
4. Re: Independent Consolidation Jul 4, 2015, 12:46 panbient

As much as I hope RB4 is a success I still remain cautiously optimistic and haven't pre-ordered - yet. 30 extra tunes is a nice incentive though.

And I'm one of 'those' players, with all the major disc content, and over 250 DLC, and the Mad Catz midi adapter, and a pro quality e-drum kit that makes the ION look like, well, a kid's toy.

And while it's nice that legacy content will carry over including most DLC, it's not perfect. Harmonix still hasn't confirmed that RB3 disc content will be transferable, and DLC seems to be a case by case basis. It's also nice that they're planning on supporting old peripherals, but I find it odd that the Mad Catz midi adapter hasn't been confirmed especially since they're the ones supplying the gear now.

But most baffling of all is no online play at launch. Just WTF? That's not to say it might not happen eventually, but still worrying.

At least people can still use the stage kit for lights and smoke effects though...

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update
8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update Jul 4, 2015, 09:10 panbient

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 02:21:
TF2 was still kind of fun the last time I played it, I dont doubt it's still pretty great. Im not going back though, found it a little bit douchy that I had to grind to get drops to set the loadouts I wanted for the characters I wanted to play. Douchy, because I paid full price for this game when it came out with the Orange Box (and purchased two copies as gifts for RL friends) & I hate grinding in FPS games. Hope there is none of that shit in Overwatch, will be trying that out for laughs...

What gear are you looking for? Odds are I have a dupe you can have should you change your mind, unless you're looking for Stranges etc.

I agree that it's annoying to have to grind, but from what I recall (after trading my entire backpack for Defense Grid a long while ago) it didn't seem to take that long to get it all back. In some cases I was getting 3-4 items between rounds / deaths.

The only reason I stopped playing recently is because I've had to change my living arrangements and don't have a desk at the moment. FPS gaming on a TV while balancing the keyboard on your lap and the mouse on the arm of your chair just doesn't cut it hahaha

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Jul 2, 2015, 08:53 panbient

Still waiting on my dream update of seeing how much time is left in a map from the server select screen in the main menu.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 1, 2015, 16:21 panbient

Task wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 13:56:
do not bail out anymore banks, let them sink and survive as Iceland has. Iceland did those things and has recovered positively - regaining sovereignty and putting banks in their place which have been causing economic hardships everywhere.

Iceland is an exception. They're also tiny in comparison to the majority of industrialized nations. And they also had to deal with substantial inflation and economic hardships after letting their banks fail before kind of getting back on their feet. Unless you consider losing 90% of their national stock value essentially overnight and having their GDP decline / stall for about 3 years, the value of their dollar losing 1/3rd of its value, and inflation over 15% to be good things.

I also seem to remember something about a $1B bailout after they let their old system fall apart... oh wait, it was $5.1B... and guess who it came from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
20. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 20:53 panbient

Kajetan wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:11:
Finally the "right" remake

Exactly. THIS is the Battlezone news I wanted to hear

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 11:01 panbient

Wasn't the op-ed about how Steam should just stop selling product for a week / month / whatever so the writer could deal with their backlog also on kotaku?

Is being a wanker a requirement to be a writer at that site?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 24, 2015, 09:13 panbient

If Nintendo really knew what its fans wanted they wouldn't have put their money on Federation Force first. It's probably not a bad game, but it could have easily been a Starfox title, or Kirby, or Pikmin, or any of their other IPs. Calling it a Metroid game without announcing an actual Metroid game first was a mistake. Comparing this to Zelda: Wind Waker is foolish. WW was still a Zelda game, sure the visual style was different but it was still a Zelda game at its core. This is not.

They say they know what the fans want? And they know when to make announcements... The right time to announce Federation Force was right after the big Metroid reveal as a companion handheld game. Or are they trying to convert the nerd rage into free press?

551 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo