Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 476 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 12:20 panbient

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:40:
Which non-shady organization are you thinking of that's willing to fund a AAA game development project?

The Star Citizens of Earth?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Windows 10 and Xbox
27. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 09:58 panbient

Slick wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:10:
panbient wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 07:59:
I know my internet was out for 'a few days' last week. Or did I accidentally fall into a coma for a few years instead? What happened to Windows 9?

Did they forget what comes after 8 or did I miss something? Why stick with numbers if you're not going to be sequential? Did 7 really eat 9?

Lol, i can't believe i didn't think of that. good ol 7-8-9. anyways the real reason there's no Window 9 is because there's still checks in the codebase pertaining to Windows 95 and Windows 98. so anything that starts with "Windows 9-" is already buried in there somehow to this day. So the practical solution was go to 10 (or anything that doesn't start with "windows 9-"). there was never a "Windows 1". although with this penchant for "one" in their marketing, that day might come sooner than later...

Fair enough I suppose though it still seems odd, but then again it's got people taking notice and talking about it and that's really all marketing is about.

News Comments > More on Windows 10 and Xbox
22. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 07:59 panbient

I know my internet was out for 'a few days' last week. Or did I accidentally fall into a coma for a few years instead? What happened to Windows 9?

Did they forget what comes after 8 or did I miss something? Why stick with numbers if you're not going to be sequential? Did 7 really eat 9?

News Comments > Counter-Strike Match Fixing Accusations
2. Re: Counter-Strike Match Fixing Accusations Jan 20, 2015, 15:56 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 12:56:
Huh, what would the motivation be? Same as all sports fixing? Betting against the favor and get a big payout from Vegas since the odds were against the winner?

Yup, except in this case it seems the big payout was skins. Thousands of dollars worth... of Steam stuff. Seems foolish to potentially lose a real money paycheck to score virtual goods but then again I don't know the rigors of being a pro gamer.

Than again this is also a league where the captain from one team was a co-owner of the opposing team.

News Comments > etc., etc.
29. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2015, 10:17 panbient

yuastnav wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 09:26:
It wasn't someone stalking you over the net, trying to find out as much info about you as possible.

That still happened on back in the days of ICQ as well. Hell I got an actual phone call from a border guard once which resulted in an individual getting banned from Canada (the country, not the chat room). Incidentally that happened 13 years ago.

And yes, the death threats that people posted on message boards before a mod cleaned them up is the exact same behavior as the sociopathic behavior. Difference is people didn't post so many personal details on public platforms back then.

It's pretty simple, people can't find out personal details about you unless you choose to make them public online. And fact is, regardless of how mainstream the internet has become, it's still very much a free for all. If you're going to poke a stick at a hornets nest you should expect to get stung. I'm not saying it's right, or that the people making threats are justified, only that it's foolishly naive to be any sort of shocked or surprised by the behavior.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare "Reverse Boosting" Bans
4. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Jan 19, 2015, 12:19 panbient

Linksil wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 12:04:
How is getting a ban from this and ruining the suicide players version of fun in the game

Because that version of 'fun' is generally called griefing and comes at the expense of the other players. Why do they need to do it in a public match if their 'fun' isn't entirely derived from screwing over other players?

Losing a match and getting your xp screwed over because you lost a firefight with a superior opponent might be annoying, but at least you had a chance (however slight) to come out on top. That's a completely different can of worms than getting screwed over because someone on your team is actively trying to screw over your team.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jan 17, 2015, 09:46 panbient

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 12:37:
Videogames make more money than movies. You bet this is a big deal, when billions of dollars are involved, and everyone turns a blind eye...

No. No, they really don't.

Not even close.

This idea is the result of a misguided comparison of an entire industry and all its ancillary revenues (GLOBAL video game sales, hardware (consoles), hardcore / casual, DLC, MMO subscriptions, microtransactions etc. etc.) and a single subset of another industry (North American box office revenue).

News Comments > Diablo III Celebrates Patch With Buffs
18. Re: Diablo III Celebrates Patch With Buffs Jan 16, 2015, 09:44 panbient

Longswd wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 22:25:
I'm curious as to why the last gen consoles don't get the same double treasure goblin buff. Can't handle a double loot explosion?

It's because the hardware architecture is so different they basically need to write the patches from scratch, then get it QA-ed and approved for release. At least that's the 'official' line from Blizzard since 2.1 (which we never got either).

I'm like 20 bounties away from getting the platinum trophy on my ps3. While it would be nice to get the new content I'd be just as happy getting the 'salvage all' option at the blacksmith rather than having to click through every. single. piece. of. inventory.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 13, 2015, 10:48 panbient

Yes and no, more songs would have definitely been cooler but at the same time it would have cost more and there's no guarantee they'll make their money back. I figure it's more about testing the waters and seeing what sort of interest RB still holds with the gaming public.

Plus Sony only ever allowed them to release a maximum of 5 tracks per week for whatever reason.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 12, 2015, 22:45 panbient

Awww yeah new Rock Band DLC!!!

freaking stoked! hahaha

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Mechs & Mercs: Black Talons
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Mechs & Mercs: Black Talons Jan 9, 2015, 19:23 panbient

The screenshots give me a modern Mech Commander vibe with a side of Heavy Gear mixed in. Definitely intrigued but still going to wait for a few proper reviews.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 19:21 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:16:
And a big thanks that blues does not follow any of that modern UI redesign bullshit.. keep it looking like it looks. It's awesome the way it is.

This is the reason I stopped reading Shacknews back in the day as well. Once they went web 2.0 it was over (that, and Steve Gibson's departure just made it weird for someone who started with the Shugashack).

Thankfully Blue keeps it looking like the 90s!

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
1. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 09:35 panbient

Hmm...

Stretch goal for $70 Million?

We'll come up with more stretch goals!

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
38. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated] Jan 4, 2015, 17:30 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 16:55:
It will result in a much more vibrant kind of business world, as people will pursue business interests about which they're passionate about instead of having to work some job they hate to feed themselves or pay their health insurance.

The ONLY way that would ever actually work is if human nature itself changed and we all stopped wanting more than we need. Otherwise there will still be people who will be jealous and greedy of another individual's achievements and accomplishments, regardless of material wealth. There will always be a rat race to keep up with the Jones' in one way or another.

That's the inherent flaw most idealistic people never want to see and can't just brush away with more idealistic hopes and dreams.

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
31. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 4, 2015, 07:59 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 01:18:
but I imagine a future society where an abundance of riches and technology provides base needs, and people only work that wish to exceed that. But for many, many people that base level would suffice if it allowed them to pursue non-material dreams.

So... the ultimate welfare state?

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
54. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 16:27 panbient

Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 10:34:
panbient wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 09:25:
And I'd say your optimism is due to fear of admitting fault. If Roberts is refusing to establish any sort of tangible objective goal he's creating an escape plan on his get rich quick scheme, which is what this really seems like now.
Please, explain me this "escape plan". How is investing incoming money into the project "escaping"?

He gets to play with other people's money instead of working a real job. And by never establishing a clear and direct end target once the money stops coming in (eventually it will) and the collection of modules don't gel into the cohesive fever dream the community expected he "can't" be held accountable because at this point he's not really promising anything more than to keep expanding the scope to no actual end point.

Just look at how well the dogfighting module materialized - and that was with excessive funding coming in and a full 12 months of pre-production before going public and asking for funding. How well do you think other experimental modules will work out once the money stops?

It's an escape plan from reality on his community's dime. He's #winning more than Charlie Sheen could ever imagine.

Also - BluesNews Nov 2012

That first line... just wow...

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2015, 12:21 panbient

garrywong wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:16:
So I don't get it. Does this mean ISPs now have to do deep inspection of all people's traffic to see if they happen to be downloading something illegally? Or how does this even work? I can't imagine something like this can hold up to the Canadian constitution.

And how does something like this even pass into law in a democratic country without any people having any say in it?

It's probably more of a situation where an ISP will investigate when a user goes over a certain threshold of bandwidth within a given period. Then if it happens to be something like a constant HD Netflix / WoW account they'll happily ignore you. If on the other hand it happens to be non-stop torrents they might look a little closer and see just what's being transferred on their network. Remember you're buying into -their- service and using their network infrastructure. It's honestly kind of foolish to think you ever really had true anonymity online, even back in the 90s.

As for how something like this can pass into law. We democratically elected officials into having the power to decide whether or not it was in the best social interest of the country to pass this into law. If you don't like it you should have written a letter to your local MP's office a while ago and tried to convince them otherwise.

It's also kind of nice that there's a mandatory 5 year review implemented as part of the package.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
37. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 09:25 panbient

Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 09:01:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 08:47:
I'd say that's the first solid proof I've read indicating this game is in real trouble.
I'd say you misunderstand him on purpose. He just says that he scales production according to the amount of money coming in. The more money comes in the bigger the scope gets. There is no fixed end of developement. When some more millions are coming in, he spend this money on making more content, polishing existing content or introducing new features.

And I'd say your optimism is due to fear of admitting fault. If Roberts is refusing to establish any sort of tangible objective goal he's creating an escape plan on his get rich quick scheme, which is what this really seems like now. Yes, he'll keep 'working on it' while the money keeps coming in, but what is he really working on? What's the actual goal? Not your personal interpretation / expectation, but the actual stated goal by the people collecting all the money... how feasible is that goal and how likely are they to succeed in achieving and delivering that goal?

It's not necessarily a scam, but what do you call something that they will just keep working on -indefinitely- with no actual conclusion until the money stops coming in. Who do you think he'll blame once the money stops and the production ends? His own hubris and the unchecked scope of the product design? Or the community that 'abandoned' his vision once they finally smartened up and stopped dumping money, into as previously stated, the biggest sunk cost fallacy in the history of gaming (if not the entire internet).

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2014, 08:16 panbient

Lord Tea wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 07:59:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 27, 2014, 21:23:
"Requires controller" welp guess we're not buying that.

Yeah, smells like console and I hate that smell.

It's still a nicer smell than the snobbery from either side of the fence.

Would you boycott the Star Wars X-Wing / Tie Fighter games because they require a joystick? After they were re-released on cd in the late 90s they needed a stick. Not recommended - required.

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
134. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 21:57 panbient

Timmeh wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 19:33:
You guys are fucked in the head. Sorry but you are.

This past summer, some dude in my town got an assault rifle and a shotgun and walked through a suburban neighborhood allegedly shouting 'Bring me the cops!'

When the cops showed up he killed 3 of them and wounded two others before running away into the woods (he was caught the following evening).

He was also home schooled in a 'good and proper' Christian environment for the first 22 years of his life. Cause and effect right?

Who's to say who is really going to end up fucked in the head?

Certainly not me. Though you're free to keep on your self-righteous crusade as if it matters (it doesn't).

476 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo