Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 298 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 panbient

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 09:55:
Pretty silly, you can disable it on the PC already with some forum dudes hacked wrapper. It serves no purpose unless you have the camera, let people disable it already.

A piece of black electrical tape works perfectly as well, but it would be nice if it was an actual option.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access
14. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 20:26 panbient

Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 19:57:
if you aren't going to pay to compete then don't bother.

Thanks for saving me download time.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Onslaught: Play as Mike Myers
7. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Onslaught: Play as Mike Myers Jan 14, 2014, 11:12 panbient

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 18:06:
Damn, I was envisioning players running around dressed like and sounding like Wayne, Austin Powers, Dr Evil, Dieter, etc. Oh well.

You shot me! Excellent. Party on!

Offer a Garth skin and it would be the first CoD I ever purchase (especially if you land on your keys when you crawl - hehe). Party on indeed!

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
8. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 9, 2014, 21:09 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 19:40:
Diablo 1 kicked ass because it was dark and gritty. Torchlight is too bright and cute. And Tit Quest wasn't that good but the expansion was.

Diablo 1 kicked ass despite being super dark and gritty. The 2nd area is almost entirely black and dark brown with either invisible monsters, brown demons, or grey goatmen. And that lasts for 25% of the game.

I played through it again last month for the first time in years and what struck me most was how narrow the scope and variety of the loot was compared to later games (regular white items, blue magic, and gold uniques). What's really amazing though is that I never felt the need for more types. The game wasn't just about collecting gear for your character. It was about creating a character capable of beating Diablo. Once. Then it was over, THE END. Start a new character, and see what kind of hero you can come up with given the variety of random drops.

Like others have said, the original focus was the action with the loot and RPG stuff tacked on to support it. That's what all the others got wrong (except D2 of course).

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
1. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 8, 2014, 17:46 panbient

Whether or not anyone from GOG reads this comment... thanks for a great 5 years of service for those classics. It's VERY appreciated  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
25. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 5, 2014, 10:06 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 22:36:
GTA Toronto would be nice... GTA: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

The more I think about it the better it gets. Feature downtown Toronto, Windsor, Detroit. Cross border smuggling over the great lakes by small plane or boat. Could even set it in the 80s with a young Trevor.

12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 17:00 panbient

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 16:08:
They should do Toronto, GTA in the GTA

The only real question now is... would Rob Ford be the protagonist or the antagonist? hehehe

News Comments > Criterion Cofounders Leave
15. Re: Criterion Cofounders Leave Jan 4, 2014, 10:56 panbient

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 15:44:
3) Stay with EA for a few years, making the exact same game you used to make, only under a different title and with a bit less freedom

The other way of saying that is - pass the risk / burden of responsibility onto someone else. It's hardly a bad deal, especially if your own financial situation doesn't change dramatically. Job security is not exactly common in the development industry.

Also here's hoping that this means a new game more in line with Burnout 2/3 and less like Burnout Paradise.

News Comments > On Sale (1)
32. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 15:10 panbient

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:53:
panbient wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:45:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 11:55:
I'm going to miss steams voting sales, really enjoyed those...

I'm disappointed that I'm missing 1 more vote for a final snow globe. That and I got #10 like three times in a row hahaha

#10 is the only one I still need. I got a bunch of #5 and #6, among others.

I've got 2 extra 10s, a 6 and an 8 up for grabs. Still need a 1, 3, and 7. Same user name on Steam if you (or anyone else) wants to make a trade.

News Comments > On Sale (1)
4. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 12:45 panbient

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 11:55:
I'm going to miss steams voting sales, really enjoyed those...

I'm disappointed that I'm missing 1 more vote for a final snow globe. That and I got #10 like three times in a row hahaha

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
40. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 09:22 panbient

BitWraith wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 09:14:
I can't tell you how many games I have in my collection that have some form of DRM that predates the internet: Discs that you cannot copy (even for backups), manual lookups (printed on red paper so it cannot be photocopied), weird code wheels... It was definitely the wild wild west back then, and if you lost your manual etc, you had no recourse to play your game.

... what was the 3rd word from the 2nd paragraph on page 6?

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
7. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 13:17 panbient

Krovven wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 12:48:
Curious to see what is done with the Fallout games on Steam...if they just change the Publisher to Bethesda or if they get removed as well.

They're still on sale as of right now, and still list Interplay as the publisher. Who knows how long that will last though.

2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 28, 2013, 16:25 panbient

Kythlyn wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 14:56:
If there was ever an argument against console gaming, this would be it.

Yeah... because it's NEVER happened on the PC before...

Oh wait, what was that Warhammer Online developer going on and on about like two weeks ago?

Yes, the community might actually get around to providing private options for enterprising gamers who want to invest the time and effort into maintaining their own servers. But for the average gamer, what's the actual difference?

News Comments > Homeworld HD/CE Survey
20. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 19:44 panbient

Depending on the quality of the ship model I'd be fine with paying up to $50-60 for a CE HD remake. Though I'd prefer if both games were part of the package.

I quite like the idea of adding a Homeworld ship next to my Marcus and Pip Boy bobble-heads. Yes, I paid $100 for Borderlands 2

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2013, 07:56 panbient

BobBob wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 16:26:
Merry Christmas! We're going to unwrap presents on the beach. Perfectly sunny weather so far.

http://tinyurl.com/kthje4d

Meanwhile in Canada... it has snowed (or iced) EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for like the last 2 weeks. This morning... two more inches, and it's still coming down Wreck Though I shouldn't complain too much since I'm one of the lucky ones who never lost power.

Have fun on the beach you lucky bugger hahaha and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Jolly(?) Festivus to everyone

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $35 Million
33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 16:52 panbient

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:05:

They asked for 2 millions so they can prove to their investors that people were interested in that game!!!

If they got the money, they would give them the rest 22 millions in private funds to make it !!!

My bad on that aspect of the initial crowd sourcing. I just remember their original public target. Either way that still leaves them with almost double their original target so why is it now only able to start being more than the bare minimum?

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:05:
But since they do not need them any more , They are True AAA Public funded game...

So they DONT have to worry for the Investors pushing them to get it out, so they can make a quick fat profit

The lack of a 'suit' does not guarantee a greater product. If anything it guarantees a riskier development and requires even more focused discipline. Instead gamers get the dogfighting delay and new stretch goals being defined by the community. Yes, on one hand it's nice that they're involving the players. On the other it can appear as a situation where they've run out of ideas and don't know what else to add so they're just asking the crowd to decide for them. Which generally speaking doesn't result in the best choices.

Ever listen to an album by a musician who released it as a gift for the fans? To give them back everything they'd been asking for? Ever heard one that didn't suck because it lacked the original focus that made their music great rather than pandering to the public?

I REALLY hope they prove me wrong. But everything about it makes me nervous. If it goes good all gamers will benefit from seeing more AAA studios making space games. If not we'll probably never see another AAA studio even think about touching space.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $35 Million
7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:24 panbient

I'm at a loss here. This just blows my mind. How can he call this milestone "allowing the team and I to go beyond the BARE MINIMUM".

They've gotten almost 20 times more money than they originally asked for. Should they have not been able to go beyond the 'bare minimum' like... oh... last year?

And yeah, that Elite: Dangerous alpha video is the bees knees.

This on the other hand just sounds more and more like a situation where you're collecting tools to make 'something' eventually - once all the tools have been purchased. Rather than buying the tools as you need them in order to construct the next piece of the plan.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2013, 15:27 panbient

How likely is this a hoax?

I mean really... if you were hanging out with someone and then 2 people showed up and started strangling her and then ordered you to get them a PS (4, I presume - wait no... Kotaku says it was for a PSP). Either way, why would you not immediately go to the police? Why would you go back to the place to ask for more time before going to the police?

Nothing of that article sounds legit.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Questions Answered
15. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Questions Answered Dec 19, 2013, 19:13 panbient

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 17:58:
Did they say in the video at what stretch goal they'll release the game?

The only stretch goal I'm concerned with is Space Burrito Surprise!

News Comments > Strife Closed Beta Underway
9. Re: Strife Closed Beta Underway Dec 18, 2013, 18:10 panbient

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers the old Strife game. That youtube clip was great. I never actually got to play the whole thing, I just remember getting the demo on my very first PC Gamer disc way back in the day and all the fond memories that go along with Coconut Monkey hehehe  

298 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo