Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 551 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2015, 14:06 panbient

Retired wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 13:18:
The bag most likely leaked. I keep ours in the basement and only bring up a few at a time. It is surprising how fast potatoes go bad. The liquid that the things excrete is noxious. I would wipe the area with a bleach solution, then water.

I second this. Especially considering the heat and humidity that the east coast has been getting recently. If you're not comfortable using bleach where you'll store food then vinegar should suffice.

Another potential option that I haven't seen mentioned is a small bowl of vanilla, not sure if it really absorbs or just masks the odor but it's WAY more pleasant than rotten potato juice.

Something else I remember my mom doing back in the day was boiling yeast to get rid of (or at least overpower) smells. Our bathroom was connected to the kitchen and sometimes you just have the stomach flu and, well, NO ONE wants to smell diarrhea before or during mealtime (or pretty much ever).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
24. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 19, 2015, 09:50 panbient

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 00:07:
This is like the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Jessep admits to ordering the death of PFC Santiago in a court of law.

So does this mean that only Chris Roberts can handle the truth?

I'm still concerned about some of the comments he made a while ago when demonstrating the multi-crew ships and stating stuff like "You're not going to have 50 systems to adventure in" and "I'm actually expecting people to make up their own action story arc". I guess people were more concerned with whether or not they'd all have the same gravity within the big ships.

At this point it sounds like it's just going to be a hollow collection of modules that you can interact (and hopefully have fun) with... because no one has ever had to deal with griefers in an online environment before. Nope, no siree, especially not when there's so much open potential (ie: very little planned activity).

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2015, 17:28 panbient

Task wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 09:58:
FPS/RTS/RPG combine all the things! I'm assuming they have other sources of income - for 6+ studio to operate off 12,500 would be quite a feat.

Well they do state having worked on the game for the last 3 years so yeah probably other money involved

Though it's an interesting way to wrap up development. From the sounds of things it's essentially done and this whole KS thing is more about what sort of extra polish / features people want on top of the base game.

News Comments > Square Enix Open to Anachronox Pitches Now; Tomb Raider Eventually
3. Re: Square Enix Open to Anachronox Pitches Now; Tomb Raider Eventually Aug 10, 2015, 19:25 panbient

killer_roach wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 18:47:
saluk wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 17:44:
Come on Tom Hall get your pitch together!

Damn, beat me to it. (I know he'd rather buy the IP outright, but if Squeenix is willing to take a pitch seriously...)

Absolutely agreed. I don't want to hear about it if he's not going to be involved.

Seriously though, who else could dance like Sly Boots?

News Comments > Journey of the Light Steam Refunds
12. Re: Journey of the Light Stean Refunds Aug 7, 2015, 11:21 panbient

Task wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 10:14:
Would anyone like to hedge bets how long the DS game is going to last on Steam?

Why wouldn't it? If you go into a DS game expecting the modern AAA hand holding 'mechanics' rather than complex (bordering on convoluted) systems of interaction that's on you, kind of like expecting something like Europa Universalis to play like Age of Empires. His games won't change the industry but they offer something to a niche group.

Considering all the times people on this site have screamed about fraud when a crowdfunded project went a little sideways this would be an appropriate time to go that direction. The excuses from the developer are weak.

The first 'patch' broke the progress of the game? Ok, shit happens, where's the hotfix?
Oh, the other levels don't load because of a naming issue. Rename the files and... hotfix.
Users have tried renaming the files to get them to load. They don't.
Developer blamed a patch but didn't release a fix.
Developer went onto twitter to post a pic of a bloodshot eye and claimed illness to justify the situation. And that picture is either a stock image or the developer isn't old enough to drive yet.

The whole thing is a mess.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month
23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month Aug 6, 2015, 09:28 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 20:13:

To me yes, the loading screens are the worst part.

Why did you have to bring back that memory..

You're able to remember anything else from the game?

Seriously though, Pillars of Eternity is what I play when I feel like gaming on a handheld device. Especially once the action moved into cities and the pacing of the 'action' became load screen, short walk, load screen, quest trigger (single combat or conversation), load screen, short walk, pick another area on the world map, and watch the load screens some more.

I like everything else about it but those load times really just suck the wind out of the sails though.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2015, 10:12.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 4, 2015, 08:56 panbient

nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 20:38:
I'm still pissed they're dropping keyboards, to the point that I'm leaning towards not buying it...

I hear you there. Seems Harmonix is banking on the casual karaoke party angle for its entire success. I suppose it does make sense to focus your product, just sucks for those of us who played it more than casually once the new product honeymoon phase ended.

I was originally planning on buying a new console for this launch. Then it was just a pre-order at first and a console during the inevitable holiday deals. Now it's I'll wait and see what sort of post-launch plan they offer before deciding.

Mainly how and when will online play work?
How smoothly will legacy content import (and exactly how much will carry over)?
Will they ever support the madcatz midi adapter for pro gear?

I'm really glad to know they're hard at work trying to make sure the stage kit will function though. Gotta have smoke and lights going right?

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Aug 2, 2015, 15:20 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 14:35:
Also, are there patches out there that "fix" what's overly consoly about this game?

Even on a console it's yucky. I got it for free on psn+ along with Dishonored a while ago and finally got around to trying them recently. I gave Thief an honest go first, but by chapter 3 it still sucked.

Then I tried Dishonored and, well, I got the game I was expecting to play in the first place.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
4. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 11:12 panbient

Oh man I've wanted an open ended Mercenaries style mech campaign since MW2 Mercs way back in the day. Coupled with the gameplay style of the recent Shadowrun games and I'm pretty freaking stoked.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
33. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 15:24 panbient

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 15:12:
With that being said, I'm not convinced removing skills would really be a bad thing. If everything relies on your SPECIAL stats, and leveling provides you with one or a few perk point(s) each ding to progress through an expanded perk tree, all you've really done is remove the arbitrary requirement that you must have hacked 100 easy systems before you can hack medium ones, or used a pistol for 3 hours before you can use a rifle. Why should that matter if I rolled my character to be super intelligent and/or agile from the beginning?

I'll admit I haven't played F3 in years but I don't remember skill grind like that (or did they change it in NV?). Elder Scrolls? For sure. Jump everywhere to get super athletics etc. But from what I remember it was always just allocate more points until you've got a decent success chance in whatever skill. That's not grind just point allocation on level up (based on INT).

Though lock picking / hacking being tied to 25% increments with not even a 1% chance of success unless you had X minimum was lame.

News Comments > StarCraft II Turns Five
13. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 28, 2015, 14:54 panbient

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 13:55:

Couldnt disagree more, and i had a few thousand hours playing multiplayer ladder 1v1, 2v2 in SC1, people who focused on defense fromt he beginning already lost. The game was being dicated to them and controlled the entire way through. You watch any player with a modicum of skill and you will see that defensive play style beyond protecting your own workers was always a losing strategy

Fair enough (I only ever got competitive with the first Red Alert) but the defensive option was removed from even casual play in the sequel. I also seem to recall turtling as a Terran in the early game to focus on Battlecruisers or nukes being somewhat effective in the original (again casual). On the flipside it seemed that just building a bunker in SC2 was a waste of resources outside of the campaign.

Also 100% behind your assessment about SC2 / D3 and how they evolved or didn't.

10. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 28, 2015, 12:51 panbient

InBlack wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 02:23:
SC2 was just more of the same old SC formula, which is actually good. The reason none of us play it anymore or have the stomach for it is because we got burned out on SC1 and Brood War all those years ago, and it's not like we are getting any younger or our APM is getting any faster.

Gotta disagree with you there aside from the APM thing. In the original Starcraft a player who focused entirely on defense could hold their own against a player or AI who focused entirely on offense. There was an actual balance. This was removed with SC2. It simply was not possible to chose a defensive play style. You rushed (first) or you lost - period. I definitely wasn't burnt out from the original when I got the sequel, it's just too different of a MP game.

As for the campaign, it had potential but for the most part it was crap. Here's a specific mission tailored to a specific unit that has no other real value outside of this specific mission. While it's not uncommon to showcase new units in tailored missions when it counts for like 90% of the campaign it's pretty lame.

And the campaign was especially frustrating considering half the new units weren't even available in multiplayer either. The early impression was that players would be able to customize their available unit roster for greater variety in MP, but we all know how that turned out. I won't actually call it a bad game, but I'll never say it was better than the original. Prettier, but not better.

1. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 27, 2015, 19:27 panbient

Funny.

When Starcraft turned 5 I still played it on a regular basis. If not 3-4 times a week, sometimes alone vs. AI, sometimes with friends. Ahh... Big Game Hunters such a good map.

I bought SC2 at launch. I don't remember the last time I played it and when I did it was tower defense mods. The whole 'if you don't rush you lose' core mechanic really didn't do it for me.

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More
26. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:31 panbient

BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:00:

You must be new
All the videos (10 for the chairman & Around the verse etc) are paid voluntarily from people that subscribe for an extra 10$ or 20$ per month. And all the promotional stuff are from there.

They did this so people will not complain, that they used their money for Promotions video ads etc...

That's like when a person refuses to use their 'fun' money to pay the bills because it's been earmarked for different purposes, then wondering why people are irritated when they choose to keep having fun instead of getting to work to pay down those bills because they're only using the fun money and it's meant for fun, not bills.

Is there any proof the money and resources are being used that way? Aside from them pinkie swearing it totally for really real is? Even with its own separate budget it still seems like an inefficient use of resources.

Especially if they're planning on a big thing at Gamescon. Why not just announce a temporary radio silence for the next month so they could focus? Derek Smart's concerns would have likely been put on hold pending results but instead they made it into a spectacle. It's a great way to keep your name in the press. Not so sure about delivering a product though.

14. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 11:50 panbient

BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:18:
These damage control statements and videos are actually more worrying than the people causing them.

Soon trolls will ask for CIG to stop giving free coffee to the programmers because "it's their money"

All depends on how many other people are dealing with the camera work / video editing that has to happen to produce one of these clips. Then the costs involved with having (likely) high salaried individuals sitting in front of a camera for the perception of 'openness'. You're fooling yourself if you honestly think that clip is being open and isn't carefully structured to reinforce a specific narrative. I understand the community wanted it this way, that's fine, doesn't mean I (and likely many others) will ever think it's an efficient use of resources.

Free coffee for the people who are actually working towards finishing the product? No one in their right mind will ever complain. Spending any amount of resources to make a video about it though? Yeah that's a totally valid complaint.

3. Re: On Shooter Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 10:05 panbient

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 09:51:
“Several years from now, when you are surrounded by your loved ones, and they ask you what did you do during the battle for Space Sims and PC games, you can look them in the eye and say; I helped make Star Citizen.”

Does the man wedgie himself?

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
106. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 19:09 panbient

Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:45:
Actually, they do have oversight. The same kind of oversight in fact.
Microsoft invested $90 Million in Halo MMO before cancelling it.

How does a publisher enforce its position? By not sending more funds unless results are shown.

Exactly the same thing happens with crowdfunding.

The pressure is the same if not higher. Because not only do they have to convince the crowd but they also have to face the public pressure a developer under a publisher deal doesn't suffer.

There's one major difference that you're either forgetting or choosing to ignore in regards to publisher / developer relationships and it can be summed up in one word - contract. As in both sides negotiate while one side plans out a project before the other one agrees to finance it. And generally money gets tied to previously agreed upon milestone deliverables - deliverables, as in something that gets done and delivered. Not just 'working on it', actually 'getting it done'.

Also all that negotiating gets handled before anything starts. The plan is essentially finalized before the first chunk of money is released and the first chunk of money is normally only budgeted to get you to the first major milestone until you get to the last one and finish the product. Crowdfunding is pretty much (exactly) the opposite of that method where the product scope is only defined once the final budget is established and oversight is directly related to how open the developers chose to be.

Convenient that all the people who paid into SC did so as donations, no? Makes it easy for them to address concerns however and whenever they feel like - because they're the ones who decide what oversight to address.

105. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 18:58 panbient

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:18:
What's being developed now far exceeds what was originally promised in scale and fidelity.

So even YOU are acknowledging feature creep?

77. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 16:16 panbient

Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:58:
Is CIG any different from other AAA developers?

Yes. Yes they really are. Mainly because they have the budget but no publisher oversight. And while there's a substantial group of gamers who automatically believe that removing the suits from the equation will result in some kind of gaming utopia we're all seeing the results (or lack thereof).

I can't think of any dissenting comment I've read that didn't think the ideas were cool, or that standard delays would ruin things - what people are concerned with is their ability to realistically deliver what's been advertised.

Could they have made a great single player space opera? Probably (pretty freaking certain to be honest).
Could they have made a great multiplayer combat space shooter? Probably.
Could they have made a great persistent open universe game? Maybe.

Could they make it all and let you be anything all at the same time? Probably not.

47. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 14:00 panbient

Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:17:
You do understand that FPS, as referenced in the context of Star Citizen, is a "mechanic" and not it's genre, right?

Star Citizen is being developed as what amounts to a whole new genre: a First Person Experience

Citing 'first person' as a mechanic within a modern epic space game is like talking about fully 3d modeled characters in an open world game. Seems kind of foolish to specify right?

But not so back in the early 90s, specifying that the action in a game would happen in first person was a big selling point, a major feature. It's also the kind of thing a has-been surrounded by yes-men for the last decade or more would think needs to be specified to the public.

I mean really, did anyone honestly expect to not be flying around space in first person (much in the same way they did back in the day)? There is absolutely no real need for a shooter / on foot component to be attached to the product in order to feature first person perspective and gameplay.

551 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo