Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 590 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 28, 2015, 14:30 panbient
Devinoch wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 13:44:
It actually really really is. If you've ever played with someone on the peak level of difficulty, they sometimes had trouble playing with less skilled people because the scroll wasn't individualized, and they couldn't get the tempo to match what they needed to be playing. I played at hard for most of my tenure in the game, but we had two guys who braved Expert now and then, and they absolutely needed the faster scroll when we were playing hard stuff and had a rookie on drums or bass.

I guess it depends on the person because for myself, as someone who played on expert for the entirety of RB3 I never actually noticed. You still had the same amount of notes coming at you.

Maybe it's because I played drums and you still end up beat matching the song? Or was it somehow a non-issue with online play?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 28, 2015, 10:33 panbient
nin wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 10:02:
Rock Band 4's First Major Update Detailed, Here's What It Adds.

Even better!!! Variable scroll speed!

Somehow that's apparently a higher demand than something like online play.

As much as I liked the previous iterations on the game it just seems that the closer RB4 gets to launch the lamer it seems. I don't want to hate on Harmonix but I can't really hide my disappointment either. I really hope the casual market buys into it because otherwise I think the franchise is toast.

As for keyboards I understand your disappointment, but would indirect support cut it (as in using the keyboard as a controller for guitar or bass parts)? I could see that possibly happening if they ever support the midi pro adapter but not going back to authoring an extra specific instrument, especially when the bulk of the content is guitar-centric.
News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
16. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 11:20 panbient
Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 01:10:
When I see words like "streamlined" and "consistent with industry practice" these sound like nomenclature euphemisms.

Those seem like pretty legit practices when you're trying to maximize the efficiency of multiple locations. It makes sense that once you bring in a new leader they're going to see different priorities. Especially in a situation that seemed to have grown so quickly during its early days.

Eventually there needs to be people involved near the top that put development as a higher priority than playing along with the community. While public engagement is a nice endeavor, it's not at all efficient development. Once that shift near the top happens it makes all sorts of sense to see reorganization and elimination of redundancies.

No offense to anyone involved or to anyone who recently lost their job but a community manager doesn't really add to the actual development of the product.

As for changing TOS well... yeah that happens. Here's Adobe's section about exactly that -

1.5 Additional Terms. Some Services or Software are also subject to the additional terms below (the “Additional Terms”). Any content that we provide to you (such as Software, SDK, samples, etc.) are licensed, not sold, to you, and may be subject to Additional Terms. New Additional Terms may be added from time to time.
News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
30. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 13:14 panbient
Bosanac wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 12:42:
Have you not seen this letter where Derek got owned to hell and back due to his bullshit attempt to gather press for another of his failed projects by dissing on SC?

Seriously, you people are beyond idiots if you think of derek smart in any kind of positive way.

Funny I just posted about this letter on another site right now. I'll just go ahead and repeat -

Why would their own lawyer spend the better part of 3 pages complaining about Derek Smart's character rather than simply and directly addressing the 3 points within the initial communication?

Both sides are loving the free press.
News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
50. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 21:18 panbient
Kosumo wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 18:02:
To turn this round, should publishers get a cut of the money that some actors make from attending 'cons' and paid for signings?

Why would they? It's a mutually beneficial experience for both sides. Both the actor and product get exposure with the actor having the bonus opportunity to establish further industry contacts and potential work.

While the royalty thing is definitely contentious I don't see an issue with a group of marginalized employees / contractors negotiating a better deal and they'll definitely get a better deal through a union or some other form of collective bargaining than they will individually.

They're also pretty clear in their statement that they're only looking for residuals once a product sells more than 2 million copies. For the most part that only affects the bigger players in the industry who, I think, can afford to pay more than the minimum (EA / Ubi / Acti-Blizz etc.)

Maybe this should be a wake up call to the industry as a whole that the traditional - if you don't like it we can replace you like that *snaps fingers* - response is bullshit (even if naive kids fresh out of school are still willing to be exploited so they can tell their friends they work in the gaAAaaamess industry).

Who knows, maybe both sides will manage to reach a reasonable compromise.
News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
9. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 10:30 panbient
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 09:59:
I will never understand why "artists" feel they're entitled to work once and get paid forever because of it. The world would grind to a halt if everyone worked the same way. These guys are already vastly overpaid for what they do and it's still not enough. Oh well, when they're replaced with non-union actors, or better still, software, they'll regret their unmitigated selfishness.

If you create something and you get a cut of the profit and people keep buying it for decades should you not continue to profit?

They're also mainly looking at AAA Ubi / EA etc blockbusters as the titles that should offer residuals (after 2 million sales). It's a pretty safe assumption that a title that sells like that is going to have professional voice actors.
News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 22:26 panbient
Kosumo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:56:
And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

What? Please please please explain to me how to make those claims on my next tax assessment. That would be freaking awesome... so long as it's not tax evasion or some kind of fraud. Kind of like how some people kind of blur that line by claiming their personal vehicle is a mandatory corporate expense or something.

Because the idea that somehow spending more money reduces the tax you pay on your income doesn't really make sense to my poor mind (since your amount of income doesn't change whether you save it or spend it). Generally speaking there are limits to the amount of charitable contributions etc that can be claimed as taxable deductions.
News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 20:26 panbient
Task wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:55:
Citation please.

For which part? The space game angle where most major publishers don't seem to want to touch the genre? I suppose 'kill the genre' is a bit extreme but at the same time if this fails it's going to hurt it a lot (and it's not exactly thriving compared to other gaming genres).

Or do you mean the pay to win? Because that thing is firmly rooted in mobile gaming and absolutely not going away anytime soon. And so long as it's profitable on one side people will try making it work on the other.
News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 19:40 panbient
Julio wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:17:
Looking forward to RSI crashing and burning. Too bad for the space sim genre, but at least this might put an end to this kind of pay-to-win gaming.

As already stated it'll kill the space sim genre (which sucks for all of us who really just wanted a HD Privateer / Freespace / Freelancer style game).

But an end to pay to win gaming? Not even close. At all.
News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
11. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 19, 2015, 12:25 panbient
This news reminds me that I still haven't figured out how to take off with my A-10  
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: AVG Sep 18, 2015, 15:45 panbient
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:34:
If anyone is still using AVG (and I can't fathom why, as it's terrible bloatware), get rid of it QUICK.

What do you recommend as an alternative?
News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races
7. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races Sep 16, 2015, 22:13 panbient
Eirikrautha wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 21:05:
So, they are going to recreate the best part of the best movie for us: the podracing from Episode One. What a great idea!

Do I even need a sarcasm tag?

Uhh... that videogame was actually super freaking awesome back in the day. Especially on a LAN.

I'm totally in line with Flak for a HD re-release.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 12:30 panbient
Dexter wrote on Sep 15, 2015, 12:12:
It seems like a strange business decision to abandon a group which spent the most money on hardware to play Rock Band, especially since they probably bought more than their fair share of DLC as well.

Yes and no, it's a very niche group of players after all, and the money spent on better hardware didn't provide any return to Harmonix either (they made 0 cents off the $2500 I spent on a Roland e-kit).

But I totally agree that anyone who would have invested in better gear would have likely been buying DLC on a semi-regular basis.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 11:50 panbient
Count me as another Rock Band fan who's passing on the new title.

Online play was a definite factor in keeping my interest up for a long time. One thing to note with the 'existing song library' thing is that it doesn't support exporting the RB3 disc content 'yet'. The new setlist is also kind of lame, I can only think of 4, maybe 5 tracks off the top of my head that I'd buy as DLC. Also disappointed that even with MadCatz making the hardware there's no support for the midi pro adapter either.

And while Harmonix has been crappy at patching their product (PS3 has persistent crashing issues when connected regardless of whether or not you're actually playing online) they have been clear in calling RB4 a platform and implying future development. Though I think most of it is based on hope that it'll hit like it's 2008 again and that people are really into the party angle.

Speaking of party gaming has anyone here submitted a clip to be part of the Rock Band Road Crew thing?
News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 14, 2015, 20:04 panbient
A priest accused of murdering of an altar boy in 1910?

So you say "no, I didn't" then roll credits?

Pretty sure they'd get way more traction with the 'you performed an exorcism on an altar boy that has disappeared and only you can figure out what really happened' angle that they use further in their description.

The gameplay teaser is pretty, but boring. Oh look, a highly detailed hallway. And it changes from colour to black and white once you get to the end with more details popping up! Good thing it's been years since I played FEAR I guess. Though I'll admit it's kind of cool / freaky that they use my real name on the tombstones that pop up all over the place. Then again David isn't exactly uncommon (heck I'm sure I'm not the only one that posts here).

It looks like any number of hidden object / adventure games only with actual 3d navigation. Also a bit concerning that they claim to have made a bunch of other mobile games but I can't seem to find anything about them besides this one project. I'll be surprised if they even hit half of their target.
News Comments > Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans
5. Re: Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans Sep 8, 2015, 17:56 panbient
Rhett wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 17:20:
Ooooh, sweet. I really wanted to get into this on consoles but it had so many issues that come with Japan-developed games. Weird fonts, silly menus, black bars across the screen at all times... I hope it's improved for PC.

There was none of that when I played through it on PS3. At least not by the time Dark Arisen was included as part of the package.

Also the game is freaking great. Never did finish the expansion part (psn+ version expired before I got back into it).
News Comments > Laborious Metaverse
17. Re: Laborious Metaverse Sep 8, 2015, 09:37 panbient
Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 09:07:
What's wrong with Youtube game videos? Plenty of funny and informative stuff up there. There are some games I don't want spoilers for but other things like Dark Souls/etc its fun to watch the kinds of builds and antics others get up to.

Agreed, all I hear when people complain about stuff like this is the new version of -

I don't understand why kids today are listening to that garbage instead of real rock and roll! Back in my day we played gee-tar the way the real gee-tar heroes told us to play. None of this new-fangled dub wub wub shtup crap! You can't play air gee-tar to that! How could anyone think that garbage is cool! Go back to listening to what I listened to back when TV was telling me I was cool and get the hell off my lawn!
News Comments > Evening Interviews
20. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 4, 2015, 10:14 panbient
El Pit wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 01:09:
To put it with the great Frank Zappa: The Torture Never Stops. Neither will the development of this game. One game to rule them all? Yeah, sure.

Great tune, but I think 'The Radio is Broken' really captures the whole SC phenomenon.
News Comments > Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: "Call Me"
2. Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: Sep 4, 2015, 10:10 panbient
InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 09:34:
Mickey dont sell. Like Machete don't text.

Yeah I figure he's got a better chance of getting hired as a producer on a Monkey Island title than ever repurchasing the IP.
News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
15. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 29, 2015, 09:23 panbient
harlock wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 18:32:
btw the whole Handsome Jack character made me want to track down the writer and punch him in the brain.. voice actor didnt help at either

EVERYTHING with Borderlands 2 made me want to slaughter the writer whenever the shooting stopped. I'm still amazed at what this franchise became after being built on some of the strongest co-op gameplay out there. Maybe it's because I played it on a console / couch situation and had an easier chance to enjoy that possibility. Surviving a tough boss battle with your friends a few feet away and hollering the whole time before overcoming the challenge is something that neither a voice in a headset nor creative writing / scripting can ever replicate.

I don't figure it'll be SMB bad, but I'm expecting somewhere between Double Dragon and Doom. Maybe if we're lucky it'll be on par with Tank Girl.
590 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo