Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 354 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 15:08 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:48:
I think this was the original one.

Wow... that's actually not the 'other' one I saw earlier.

yet another one

I found it by checking what other projects 'Abigail Radigan' started.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 13:25 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 09:39:
The recursiveness of this is messing with my mind.

I'm confused as well...

I think one of the links might have been intended to be the exact same KS pitch that only managed to get 8 backers before failing last November.

5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 13:19 panbient

If The League (the show) has taught me anything it's that any sort of virtual / fantasy sport group requires a loser trophy like the Sacko.

This KS does not mention anything even close to a Sacko.

It's like they can't decide if they want to do a fantasy league thing (which could be cool to dedicated e-sport fans) and making a new game specifically to promote their broadcasting premise.

And that 'risks and challenges' section. Just... wow...

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
18. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 13:07 panbient

I like how they only seem to have one actual programmer as part of the team. It gives me great confidence that the vision of the 3 concept artists, a fantasy writer, and the pro-gamer turned senior designer will come to life with no hassles at all.

With such a low funding target are they just shooting to make a AAA quality TC using an existing game's mod tools? Or is it just to prove market interest to secure more traditional funding?

And can anyone say...

TIBERIUM?

Because that's all I can think of when I read that premise.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 10:59 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 10:10:
panbient wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 10:04:
I won't deny being old, but did anyone else expect to see something about a punk band for that Killing Joke tribute link?

I didn't click the link, but that's what I assumed it was...

Yeah... no, Batman or more specifically Joker.

Also a heads-up for everyone -

GOG is giving out free games as part of their summer flash sales. Omerta: City of Gangsters (with 4 DLCs) is still free for about an hour (you'll need to scroll through the sale listings to find it).

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 10:04 panbient

I won't deny being old, but did anyone else expect to see something about a punk band for that Killing Joke tribute link?  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 14
3. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 14 Jun 19, 2014, 13:09 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:05:
Did they really need to build a full scale mockup of the Batmobile for Arkham Knight? I'd love to know what that cost.

But E3 is in LA. Why would they build a Batmobile when they could rent a movie prop?

Sure the average person probably can't rent anything more recent than the '89 Batmobile but I'm sure something could be arranged in the name of cross-promotion.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 13
5. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 13 Jun 19, 2014, 08:42 panbient

ViRGE wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 22:01:
It does us all a favor when unprofessional journalists are called out and sacked.

Agreed. But if that's really what he wanted to address in the article why is most of what he wrote about how he's a much more professional and mature journalist than Cartman?

I also wonder why it's such an issue with video game journalism.

There are bad journalists in every field. Do you ever hear highly-regarded reporters criticizing their peers because of their behavior at some award show after-party when they're trying to score a bunch of swag? Anyone besides Perez Hilton type trashy gossip 'reporters'?

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Countdown
8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Countdown Jun 17, 2014, 11:11 panbient

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 10:11:
Still a fun game after 6 years... Steam Workshop and FTP has done a LOT for the longevity of this game. You can joke about hats and the like, but if that's all you see, you haven't spent much time with it over the years.

Agreed. And as a player who only started after the game went F2P I have to say I found hats to be beneficial, especially early on. The hats make it easier to keep track of individual players, but for total noobs they were also indicative of some level of experience within another player (but not necessarily skill) and make it easier to figure out who to follow while you're learning the ropes.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 12:13 panbient

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:48:
How much more evidence of clear abuse of his power does he need to show?

Wouldn't a mayor's office need actual power before being able to abuse it though?

And that police chief 'resigned' so he could take up a job as a North America Regional Service Director for a global security company. From the sound of things, this Twitter issue isn't really a big deal, just the most recent.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140520/News/140529909

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 10:19 panbient

Gotta say I'm liking the charity drum-offs a lot more than I should. And while I realize it's for charity, my money is on Smith to kill it and play circles around Ulrich.

Now Jimmy Chamberlin vs. Chad Smith on the other hand would be something epic.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2014, 17:41 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 14:50:
panbient wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 13:59:
Do you support legislating the labeling of everything because stupid people refuse to accept that the contents of a coffee cup might be hot and they should be careful while handling it?

You should watch this documentary before spouting off about hot coffee. McD's spent a lot of money to try and portray this as a frivolous lawsuit, when a) they should never be serving coffee at 195 degrees, and b) they shouldn't have had cheap cups that explode on a mere 3 pounds of impact.

That's fair and all for a specific instance, but it doesn't change the fact that lawnmowers need to have stickers warning people against sticking their hands in the spinning blades. For real. Hot coffee is just the easiest go to example for the practice of idiot proofing the obvious.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2014, 13:59 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 13:20:
So if you buy a car and doesn't work, you're cool with that? Hey it's only 30 or 40 grand, whatevs right

If I'm in the market for a car I test drive it first. If the dealer doesn't let me test drive it I go to another one.

If I buy used and there's a knocking sound from under the hood I either call it out before buying or accept that there's a probable defect that I will need to address within my purchase. Then negotiate accordingly.

Then there's the esoteric issue of how does anyone define what is a reasonable expectation of working as intended for others? I think a lot of people blur the line between intended and expected. It only needs to function, whether or not I like how it functions is irrelevant. It also helps to deal with the current features of the product rather than the hype surrounding a pre-release prototype that no longer reflects the consumer model. Again, something else the video game side of thing tends to flip-flop on.

If a dealership keeps selling lemons people stop buying their cars. People stop buying from them. However with the video game industry, when a publisher keeps releasing lemons people keep lining up around the block on launch day. People keep buying from them.

Do you support legislating the labeling of everything because stupid people refuse to accept that the contents of a coffee cup might be hot and they should be careful while handling it?

Why should the industry change their methods when the consumers themselves make those methods profitable and successful?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2014, 12:33 panbient

ldonyo wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 11:37:
That should not be too much to ask.

I disagree. The industry offers a product to answer a demand. And that demand does not actually dictate a necessity to release flawless product.

What does seem like too much to ask is for more consumers to vote with their wallets. There's a good reason broken / unfinished games get released to the masses and it has way less to do with greedy CEOs / greedy publisher demands and a lot more to do with consumers who choose to support broken practices so they can brag about getting a product first like it matters.

Really though. Why should the big players in the industry change their methods if they're still profitable?

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 7, 2014, 10:53 panbient

That quiz was fun but weak. It's like they only knew most of 14 'classic' game titles.

Really though, does anyone actually remember Hogan's Alley from anywhere besides the back of the NES box?

News Comments > Why World of Darkness Went Dark
8. Re: Why World of Darkness Went Dark Jun 5, 2014, 12:10 panbient

Creston wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 11:15:
CCP obviously read George Broussard's "How To Make A Game 101" guide.

Dunno about that. It reads like pretty much every single article about the reality of video game development. Original management gets lucky, grows arrogant, developers suffer, arrogance fails to pay the bills, studio folds. Rinse and repeat.

News Comments > Steam FAQ Adds Early Access Caveat
10. Re: Steam FAQ Adds Early Access Caveat Jun 5, 2014, 09:18 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 23:49:
Because simply adding a disclaimer doesn't release you from responsibility. And the customer didn't pay you for the first few chapters they paid you for the entire product - which you failed to deliver and therefore owe them their money back. And the company that owns the mall should have done some due diligence to see if the tenet was reliable in the first place.

Obviously the simple solution is just don't do early access, but there is also the very real and legal concept of "good faith". In that consumers are entitled to a "reasonable expectation" that in paying someone for a product or service, it's going to be delivered on time and on budget.

Re-read my example.

"Customer agrees to pay me for the first few chapters".

That's all they are entitled too since that's all they can actually purchase since nothing else actually exists yet. If I keep writing and create more and release it to consumers, they're still NOT owed personal satisfaction from the product. Just whatever new content has been created.

I think the issue is there are too many young / naive gamers who are putting too much stock in the concept of 'good faith' and this misguided belief that indie development without the boogeyman of publisher suits will automatically result in awesome games like the ones we all dream about. Did that really work out in the music industry over the last few decades with the rise of its indie / home production scene?

I will never side with the irate consumer who didn't bother reading the fine print before spending their cash. NKD said it best, Early Access is a matter of investing in hope, not a guarantee.

News Comments > Steam FAQ Adds Early Access Caveat
4. Re: Steam FAQ Adds Early Access Caveat Jun 4, 2014, 23:00 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:13:
So Valve makes money regardless if they finish or not. That's not right. They should have to bear some responsibility for this.

Why?

If someone runs a mall and I want to open a store and I start telling people I'm going to offer a wicked awesome new book... eventually. But right now I can totally hook them up with the first few chapters and yes, part of that money goes back to the Mall (for rent etc.)

Customer agrees to pay me for the first few chapters.

Customer then gets upset that the first few chapters isn't an actual full book. Or, I 'finish' the book but the story doesn't play out the way the customer anticipated and is again upset.

Why is the mall on the hook?

The service is called 'Early Access' for crying out loud. How much more idiot proofing does Steam need to do? It's like a warning about 'hot contents' on a coffee.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
34. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:17 panbient

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:04:
Looking good.

Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2 Screenshot 3

What's up with those random looking polys around the edge of the UI (especially the stuff covering the Thrust Output)? The background planet looks really nice but I honestly can't tell if those shapes are supposed to be hull or wreckage.

SS3 looks kind of like what happens when you put a camera inside a 3d object and look outward. Again, background looks great, foreground... I'm at a loss, maybe it's due to the lack of motion.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
30. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:06 panbient

1badmf wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 09:27:
really? communication is your gripe? as far as i'm concerned they've communicated the state of the game far better than any previous developer. who else would've made daily posts about the bug list until release? they really can't do better than that unless you're such a needy personality that you have to be personally satisfied even at the expense of actual work they have to do.

a lot of people really love the idea of this game, but some of them have lost all perspective in regards to game development and only care about their personal fix.

It's the other way around for me. They're putting too much focus on being socially connected. No development studio needs to release daily updates (though I get the impression a lot of backers would flip at the loss of their personal fix).

But to me it's playing the highschool popularity game. I think most people watching from the sides would rather get clear and accurate communication than an abundance of well meaning daily comments that may or may not materialize. Daily updates don't actually help the development of any product, it draws resources away from development and just gives attention back to the people fronting the money. Quality over Quantity, right? Don't even get me started on the idea of a net-show to hype up the development (read up on the Firefall development to see how well using the PR bus to drive development works out).

Having said that it's nice that something is finally released. Though I find it concerning that someone with 32GB of RAM is complaining about performance issues.

354 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo