Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 364 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 18:36 panbient

Axis wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 13:24:
In my world DLC never had a "way" or "promise" to begin with. Horse armor was a load of horse shit right off the wagon... but content starved consilites bought it anyway.

Here's where your anti-console bias proves flawed.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Both console games. Both with thousands of dollars of potential DLC available for the market. All of it worthwhile.

No one 'had' to buy extra songs, but, for between $0.99 and $1.99 per track you could increase your potential game from 60-80 songs to well over 1000. DLC kept a simple game that should have faded into karaoke novelty going for years, with enough variety to satisfy pretty much anyone who wasn't just looking to be pissed off at the world.

Funny how both the console sides of Activision and EA were the ones behind that great DLC situation starting not too long after that whole Horse Armor shenanigan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 10, 2014, 20:05 panbient

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 18:54:
I've actually kinda missed rock band, ever so slightly...

I've only recently stopped playing it on a weekly basis. But I also invested in a real e-drum kit for it as well (plus hundreds of DLC tracks). Pro mode was a great addition, but the extra pieces necessary were hard to find (or online only) then the fact that ALL players needed to have pro versions of DLC tracks (which cost an extra $1) made it problematic for online play.

I still hope they manage to pull some kind of deal to carry over old tracks into a new product but I doubt it.

Also pretty sure those comments originated at like PAX or something. I know I've read them before.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2014, 18:51 panbient

The insecurity that presents itself following these type of articles is amazing. And it blows my mind that a lot of them are made by technically functional adults.

These people do realize cooties aren't real right?

RIGHT?

Time for a music analogy.

A metalhead doesn't need to like pop music. But a metalhead who wants to talk about music as a whole cannot ignore pop music if he wants to be taken seriously while discussing the industry as a whole.

News Comments > Star Citizen Monthly Report
18. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 17:33 panbient

McTurbo wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 16:32:
For one of the few times ever players are in the heart of the development cycle of a game. a game being developed by the maker/studio and funded by the players not a publishing house that demands more than their share of profits or demands that you get the game out before its finished.

It's a really nice idea. But in the back of my mind this is the only thing I really expect as a final result - The Homer

I mean, really, it has everything as made by an everyman without the influence of the evil suits!

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: Gay games Jul 1, 2014, 17:28 panbient

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 14:38:
If Doom mentioned in the .txt that Doom Guy was gay, or if Gordon had a poster of John Stamos in his locker, the games probably wouldn't have sold as well.

Bullshit. Had they addressed the homosexuality as you describe it - as a passive detail about the character, as opposed to making it a focal point a la Bioware, I doubt many would have even noticed.

Would HL have really been less of a game if Gordon had that poster in the initial prep area? Absolutely not, it would have been a detail texture in the background of a scene. Had Valve made sure to brow beat the audience into recognizing the homosexuality (again like Bioware does), then... yeah the game would have had to change so they could shoe-horn some event to showcase it.

News Comments > Summer Sales Ending
51. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 19:30 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:45:
Friends don't let friends read Quinn! Or Axis!

Thanks for the heads up hahaha

Also for your 3DS comment from earlier. I strongly recommend the last Zelda game, especially if you liked it on the SNES back in the day. Fire Emblem is freaking awesome too. And if you like old school grindy RPGs the Etrian Odyssey series is ace (AND you get to draw the maps on the touch screen )

48. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 18:19 panbient

Quinn wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 09:41:
panbient wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 03:40:
Slightly nicer graphics have never made a game better, just prettier.

Wrong. Just wrong. It does make a game better because prettier graphics are better for immersion, which still is the #1 reason I play games.

So why does your personal preference make my opinion invalid or somehow incorrect? You play games for 'immersion', fine, I play them for distraction.

Would you tell people who prefer music based on the interplay between the instruments that they're 'wrong. just wrong' because you prefer latching onto the vocal hook?

36. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 03:40 panbient

The only games I paid for during these sales were The Witcher Enhanced Edition and Port Royale 2. Both paid for entirely with trading cards and TF2 drops.

As for the whole 'what PCs do better' shenanigan going on. From my perspective, especially back in the day, what set the PC apart was its ability to run simulations and more complex game systems. Graphics and story have always been subjective and it seems to me that story in games really got its start as a feature with 8-bit RPGs like the original Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star, then really came into their own during the SNES era when the whole point of the games was pretty much to tell a story.

Even now what really sets the PC apart in my eyes are things like the DCS series or the high end racing sims. Those are the type of games that ONLY the PC can handle properly. Not because of what they look like or what stories they tell but because of the complexity of the systems operating just below the surface.

Slightly nicer graphics have never made a game better, just prettier.

News Comments > Dawn of War Swaps GameSpy for Steam
6. Re: Dawn of War Swaps Steam for GameSpy Jun 27, 2014, 10:39 panbient

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 09:33:
I enjoyed the hell out of DOW2 too (when it worked).

Just noticed that they posted something about a beta release on the community page for DOW2 last night. Might be worth looking into.

I'm just wondering if they'll ever fix the Retribution achievements. Kind of annoying to play through the campaign (and its foolishly long final battle) only to find out Steam lost connection at some point during the entire process and you'll never get the achievement.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Why game discovery is vital introducing Games We Care About Jun 25, 2014, 15:29 panbient

NamecaF wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 03:24:
It's honestly like looking for a needle in an ocean of pure excrement.

And the exact same thing can be said about every single other facet of the entertainment industry as the ability (and technology) to create became commonplace for the masses. Books, Radio, TV, Music, Film, it all 'went to shit' once creating within the medium became available to the masses.

Except, it didn't. Finding a hidden needle is not something you do by looking, it's something you do by feeling. But you need to be willing to immerse yourself in the poo to get the gold.

Note that you haven't actually said what you liked. Only what you don't. Maybe that's why you (implied) have such a hard time finding something 'good'.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 15:08 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:48:
I think this was the original one.

Wow... that's actually not the 'other' one I saw earlier.

yet another one

I found it by checking what other projects 'Abigail Radigan' started.

6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 13:25 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 09:39:
The recursiveness of this is messing with my mind.

I'm confused as well...

I think one of the links might have been intended to be the exact same KS pitch that only managed to get 8 backers before failing last November.

5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 25, 2014, 13:19 panbient

If The League (the show) has taught me anything it's that any sort of virtual / fantasy sport group requires a loser trophy like the Sacko.

This KS does not mention anything even close to a Sacko.

It's like they can't decide if they want to do a fantasy league thing (which could be cool to dedicated e-sport fans) and making a new game specifically to promote their broadcasting premise.

And that 'risks and challenges' section. Just... wow...

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
18. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 13:07 panbient

I like how they only seem to have one actual programmer as part of the team. It gives me great confidence that the vision of the 3 concept artists, a fantasy writer, and the pro-gamer turned senior designer will come to life with no hassles at all.

With such a low funding target are they just shooting to make a AAA quality TC using an existing game's mod tools? Or is it just to prove market interest to secure more traditional funding?

And can anyone say...

TIBERIUM?

Because that's all I can think of when I read that premise.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 10:59 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 10:10:
panbient wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 10:04:
I won't deny being old, but did anyone else expect to see something about a punk band for that Killing Joke tribute link?

I didn't click the link, but that's what I assumed it was...

Yeah... no, Batman or more specifically Joker.

Also a heads-up for everyone -

GOG is giving out free games as part of their summer flash sales. Omerta: City of Gangsters (with 4 DLCs) is still free for about an hour (you'll need to scroll through the sale listings to find it).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 10:04 panbient

I won't deny being old, but did anyone else expect to see something about a punk band for that Killing Joke tribute link?  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 14
3. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 14 Jun 19, 2014, 13:09 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:05:
Did they really need to build a full scale mockup of the Batmobile for Arkham Knight? I'd love to know what that cost.

But E3 is in LA. Why would they build a Batmobile when they could rent a movie prop?

Sure the average person probably can't rent anything more recent than the '89 Batmobile but I'm sure something could be arranged in the name of cross-promotion.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 13
5. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 13 Jun 19, 2014, 08:42 panbient

ViRGE wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 22:01:
It does us all a favor when unprofessional journalists are called out and sacked.

Agreed. But if that's really what he wanted to address in the article why is most of what he wrote about how he's a much more professional and mature journalist than Cartman?

I also wonder why it's such an issue with video game journalism.

There are bad journalists in every field. Do you ever hear highly-regarded reporters criticizing their peers because of their behavior at some award show after-party when they're trying to score a bunch of swag? Anyone besides Perez Hilton type trashy gossip 'reporters'?

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Countdown
8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Countdown Jun 17, 2014, 11:11 panbient

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 10:11:
Still a fun game after 6 years... Steam Workshop and FTP has done a LOT for the longevity of this game. You can joke about hats and the like, but if that's all you see, you haven't spent much time with it over the years.

Agreed. And as a player who only started after the game went F2P I have to say I found hats to be beneficial, especially early on. The hats make it easier to keep track of individual players, but for total noobs they were also indicative of some level of experience within another player (but not necessarily skill) and make it easier to figure out who to follow while you're learning the ropes.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 12:13 panbient

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:48:
How much more evidence of clear abuse of his power does he need to show?

Wouldn't a mayor's office need actual power before being able to abuse it though?

And that police chief 'resigned' so he could take up a job as a North America Regional Service Director for a global security company. From the sound of things, this Twitter issue isn't really a big deal, just the most recent.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140520/News/140529909

364 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo