Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
29. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 10:47 panbient

Zor wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:01:
The "information" that comes from the community team is accessible to everyone with exception of the monthly magazine. That is eventually going to be available to everyone in physical form, though.

Are you saying they're planning on publishing a paper magazine? Like the print medium that's been disappearing over recent years?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
91. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 6, 2015, 20:39 panbient

dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:21:
panbient wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:07:
dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 19:43:

This one guy, went completely over-the-top with his complaint. You have to read it to believe it.

Well... I think we know the real name of the dude who started that Pyramid Scheme thread on the CIG forums now hahaha.

Wait! was that him? I didn't even make the connection, since his complaint had a lot more detail. It just looked to me that it was a copy and paste job, with new bits added. So it probably isn't him (he's banned now btw, he was previously on probation)

Yeah I was just guessing too but there are a few passages that are super close. Not sure if it's really a copy / paste job so much as a first draft on the forums / final draft for the feds (mixed in with all the other copy paste supporting arguments and examples).

Not at all surprised that he got banned either, I found it kind of funny that most of the people who agreed or supported his perspective ended up being put on probation as well hahaha

87. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 6, 2015, 20:07 panbient

dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 19:43:

This one guy, went completely over-the-top with his complaint. You have to read it to believe it.

Well... I think we know the real name of the dude who started that Pyramid Scheme thread on the CIG forums now hahaha.

29. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 12:06 panbient

Dacron wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:58:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that...

FPS delayed indefinitely

But then there's this - new German office

Where this new office is apparently creating content for the FPS and SQ42 campaign. At this point I don't think anyone has any clear view as to just what's really going on - Chris Roberts included.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 15:43 panbient

As someone who tried downloading Battlecruiser on a 56.6 modem back in the day this was a very interesting read (never did get it to run).

Ultimately these designers seem like racehorses to me, they have great potential and ability. But just like racehorses, they need a jockey to win the race, and in some cases blinders and other equipment to keep them focused on the goal. Unfortunately in these cases they started running full tilt before anyone could start to narrow the focus into an achievable target. And while they might be the strongest and fastest horse in the field, they're not actually running in the race anymore.

And there's no trophy for just running wild. It was one thing when Derek Smart was doing it with his own resources, this is a whole other potential mess.

News Comments > Independent Consolidation
4. Re: Independent Consolidation Jul 4, 2015, 12:46 panbient

As much as I hope RB4 is a success I still remain cautiously optimistic and haven't pre-ordered - yet. 30 extra tunes is a nice incentive though.

And I'm one of 'those' players, with all the major disc content, and over 250 DLC, and the Mad Catz midi adapter, and a pro quality e-drum kit that makes the ION look like, well, a kid's toy.

And while it's nice that legacy content will carry over including most DLC, it's not perfect. Harmonix still hasn't confirmed that RB3 disc content will be transferable, and DLC seems to be a case by case basis. It's also nice that they're planning on supporting old peripherals, but I find it odd that the Mad Catz midi adapter hasn't been confirmed especially since they're the ones supplying the gear now.

But most baffling of all is no online play at launch. Just WTF? That's not to say it might not happen eventually, but still worrying.

At least people can still use the stage kit for lights and smoke effects though...

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update
8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update Jul 4, 2015, 09:10 panbient

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 02:21:
TF2 was still kind of fun the last time I played it, I dont doubt it's still pretty great. Im not going back though, found it a little bit douchy that I had to grind to get drops to set the loadouts I wanted for the characters I wanted to play. Douchy, because I paid full price for this game when it came out with the Orange Box (and purchased two copies as gifts for RL friends) & I hate grinding in FPS games. Hope there is none of that shit in Overwatch, will be trying that out for laughs...

What gear are you looking for? Odds are I have a dupe you can have should you change your mind, unless you're looking for Stranges etc.

I agree that it's annoying to have to grind, but from what I recall (after trading my entire backpack for Defense Grid a long while ago) it didn't seem to take that long to get it all back. In some cases I was getting 3-4 items between rounds / deaths.

The only reason I stopped playing recently is because I've had to change my living arrangements and don't have a desk at the moment. FPS gaming on a TV while balancing the keyboard on your lap and the mouse on the arm of your chair just doesn't cut it hahaha

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Jul 2, 2015, 08:53 panbient

Still waiting on my dream update of seeing how much time is left in a map from the server select screen in the main menu.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 1, 2015, 16:21 panbient

Task wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 13:56:
do not bail out anymore banks, let them sink and survive as Iceland has. Iceland did those things and has recovered positively - regaining sovereignty and putting banks in their place which have been causing economic hardships everywhere.

Iceland is an exception. They're also tiny in comparison to the majority of industrialized nations. And they also had to deal with substantial inflation and economic hardships after letting their banks fail before kind of getting back on their feet. Unless you consider losing 90% of their national stock value essentially overnight and having their GDP decline / stall for about 3 years, the value of their dollar losing 1/3rd of its value, and inflation over 15% to be good things.

I also seem to remember something about a $1B bailout after they let their old system fall apart... oh wait, it was $5.1B... and guess who it came from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
20. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 20:53 panbient

Kajetan wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:11:
Finally the "right" remake

Exactly. THIS is the Battlezone news I wanted to hear

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 11:01 panbient

Wasn't the op-ed about how Steam should just stop selling product for a week / month / whatever so the writer could deal with their backlog also on kotaku?

Is being a wanker a requirement to be a writer at that site?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 24, 2015, 09:13 panbient

If Nintendo really knew what its fans wanted they wouldn't have put their money on Federation Force first. It's probably not a bad game, but it could have easily been a Starfox title, or Kirby, or Pikmin, or any of their other IPs. Calling it a Metroid game without announcing an actual Metroid game first was a mistake. Comparing this to Zelda: Wind Waker is foolish. WW was still a Zelda game, sure the visual style was different but it was still a Zelda game at its core. This is not.

They say they know what the fans want? And they know when to make announcements... The right time to announce Federation Force was right after the big Metroid reveal as a companion handheld game. Or are they trying to convert the nerd rage into free press?

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 23, 2015, 10:56 panbient

LittleMe wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 10:44:
Steam needs a way to sort games by date purchased. Please.

This is a great suggestion. On the other hand that 'article' is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 11:34 panbient

I have to say it's super refreshing to hear someone like Cliffy B shoot down tax credit programs. Not like so many film and TV producers in my part of Canada screaming about the 'death of their industry' and how 'devastated' they are to have to move to a larger urban center like Montreal or Toronto to pursue what they want to do (and face real competition) rather than doing what a completely broke province needs.  

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
24. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 21:01 panbient

Slick wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 20:32:
lol, i'm only half joking, you gotta admit that it's pretty funny reading this thread that are all being mostly negative towards these devs for making something that doesn't "fit in" with current gaming tropes.

then every other thread is getting mad at games that only try to fit in with current gaming tropes. it's lose-lose.

and has one of you PLAYED this fucking game? no.

You're right, I didn't play it. But from the look of things, while it might not fit with modern mainstream tropes, it totally looks like a casual point and click / hidden object 'adventure' style game from anywhere in the last decade with a slight twist - a genre marketed at bored housewives before the iPad became their platform of choice. Only these devs deviated from the formula enough to alienate the housewives but stuck with a genre that hasn't resonated with the mainstream masses in decades. 4000 sales is disappointing that's for sure but did they honestly expect this to be a blockbuster?

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:45 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:29:
But... WHY even mention that in the article?

It's pretty clear in the update that it's because the article was being dragged into the GG mess through twitter. Ignoring it would have made him seem complicit, addressing it makes his stance clear.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2015, 11:17 panbient

Is the dog doing a handstand or is that just a weird angle? Both are acceptable but a handstand / front-paw-stand would be super duper hahaha  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
21. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 12:09 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on May 28, 2015, 11:58:
Yeah, well it runs gaming 4 pc's of mine over here for years. If you want to splurge go to $50. It doesn't need a +$100 psu I can assure you.

I will admit that the nice cloth bag with a drawstring that came with my Corsair PSU is pretty nice. No idea why any manufacturer thought I'd need a cloth bag for a PSU but still a nice accessory hahaha

And while it would have likely been a $80-$100 piece I definitely bought it on a 1/2 off sale (same as pretty much every piece of hardware ever unless it's an emergency replacement).

News Comments > Borderlands Drop Rate Increases
6. Re: Borderlands Drop Rate Increases May 27, 2015, 11:50 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2015, 10:41:
That's like Diablo 3 just randomly dropping legendaries on you after you entered a code. Where is the FUN in that?

Did anyone actually get legendaries by using golden keys? Best I ever saw were purples and only very rarely worth equipping.

News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
13. Re: CDPR: May 27, 2015, 11:46 panbient

Cutter wrote on May 27, 2015, 11:02:
3 years on and nothing to show does not bode well. Sounds like a vision problem.

Or maybe the more or less constant gripes about how The Witcher 3 didn't live up to E3 2013 previews has them rethinking their PR strategy.

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo