Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 417 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Nov 29, 2014, 16:51 panbient

I'm disappointed there was no mention of the Pac-Man and Galaga DX remakes. Those a perfect examples of how you modernize a truly retro game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon
2. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon Nov 26, 2014, 13:56 panbient

... and not a single frame of gameplay.

Wonderful trailer. Simply wonderful.

I saw some early reviews that called it Panzer Corps in the 40k universe. It's not for people interested in flashy effects and eye candy.

Personally I'm intrigued but I'm also going to be waiting for a bigger sale and reviews more substantial than first impressions. It does seem to have the potential for a significant amount of depth beneath it's 'simple' graphics.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed
47. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 24, 2014, 16:16 panbient

Flatline wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 15:47:
Has Warren Spector put anything good out since Deus Ex?

And when was the last time Chris Roberts put out something good?

Freelancer didn't see the light of day until he was removed from the project. So... Starlancer? Or 3 months before Deus Ex back in 2000 (and now I feel old).

41. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 24, 2014, 08:26 panbient

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 06:08:
One thing that we can safely say is that CR has no intention of merely following the rest of the industry. This is a game that is going to be different, for better or worse.

I'm just going to quote Warren Spector's 7 big questions to ask about designing a game right now -

Warren 'Deus Ex' Spector wrote:

1. What are we trying to do? What’s the core idea?

2. What’s the potential? Why do this game over all the others we could do?

3. What are the development challenges? Really hard stuff is fine — impossible or unfundable? Not so good…

4. Has anyone done this before? If so, what can we learn from them? If not, what does that tell us?

5. How well-suited to games is the idea? There are some things we’re just not good at and shouldn’t even attempt. A love story, for example!

6. What’s the player fantasy and does that lead to good player goals? If the fantasy and the goals aren’t there, it’s a bad idea.

7. What does the player do? What are the “verbs” of the game?

From my perspective it seems 'everything and anything' is the answer to 4 of those questions (and that's not a good answer). It lacks focus and definition. And really consider question #4, especially the last bit.

Again, like I said in the last massive E:D thread, it seems too many gamers are thinking with their hearts and not enough with their heads. It's not necessarily wrong but operating on feel rather than analysis tends to result in less than ideal outcomes.

I just wanted a game that played like Privateer and looked like X3 and I know I'm not the only one. It doesn't have to accurately simulate much of anything so long as it's fun and both SC and E:D seem to be avoiding that core KIS rule of making something fun - Keep It Simple!

11. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 13:50 panbient

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 11:04:
Make the SPACE COMBAT SIMULATOR first, THEN make the fucking FPS module.

I misread that as a Space COWBOY simulator and got hyped for a gangster of love module. Now I'm sad again.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 13:47 panbient

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 12:10:
"They've gone to plaid!"

So... no update until next Tuesday?

News Comments > Goat Simulator MMO Update Released
8. Re: Goat Simulator MMO Update Released Nov 22, 2014, 10:35 panbient

Is that 2nd class a typo or is a legit 'Rouge' class? I'm assuming the special power would be blushing or applying makeup - lipstick on a pig / mascara on a goat etc.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Blood Sport- The Ultimate in Immersive Gaming by Brand & Grotesque — Kickstarter Nov 20, 2014, 16:52 panbient

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 15:22:
Blood Sport... the day everybody realized Kickstarter had finally jumped the shark.

While donating blood is good, this sort of device will only lead to some horrible mishap, either via somebody getting a blood borne disease via unclean needles, or some idiot passing out from blood loss, etc.

I'm sure they would have it regulated to not remove more than would normally be drawn from donating blood in the first place. Same as maintaining clean equipment and would likely be administered by a nurse.

It doesn't seem like something intended for private use since they mention taking it on tour to gaming events and maintaining a professional staff (like a nurse) in their Goal section.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
100. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:59 panbient

I think the bigger issue here is that a lot of gamers chose to think with their hearts instead of their heads and wanted to believe that the removal of corporate suits would result in some kind of gaming utopia.

Especially when a lot of these high minded (and likely very well intended) nostalgia projects came to light. People can scream fraud all they want, but how many reacted with SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! at initial announcements? When something looks too good to be true after all...

I don't know what stings more, realizing that the suits weren't necessarily all bad, or that the developers aren't really any better at delivering than the publishers.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: GTA 5 PC's expanded soundtrack revealed… Nov 18, 2014, 11:59 panbient

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:
panbient wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:32:
jimnms wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:48:
It will just be unexpanded in a few years when they lose the license to the music and rip it out of your digital copy.

One of the few advantages of getting it on a console. They can't tear away what's on a disc.

I was going to post something similar, but on second thought, they could always just release a patch basically says "ignore these tracks", so that they're skipped.

I suppose that's true, then again I'm still a generation behind and still not eager to upgrade.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: GTA 5 PC's expanded soundtrack revealed… Nov 18, 2014, 10:32 panbient

jimnms wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:48:
It will just be unexpanded in a few years when they lose the license to the music and rip it out of your digital copy.

One of the few advantages of getting it on a console. They can't tear away what's on a disc. Harmonix / Rock Band already set that precedent with a lot of older DLC no longer being available for purchase due to expired licenses but the tracks remain playable (and apparently still downloadable) for users who purchased them back in the day.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
270. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 21:27 panbient

This thread is like a car crash you can't look away from, only instead of feeling horror I only feel dumber.

Entertained, but still dumber.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
158. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:19 panbient

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...

PENIS!!!!

Considering the amount of name calling and hysterics in this thread it seems appropriate.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse Prime
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse Prime Nov 16, 2014, 18:19 panbient

Zyrxil wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:58:
Apparently worse than the original in every single way. Even though it's supposed to be a visual upgrade/remake, it is essentially a Vita->PC port. See comments here.

It's also free for PSN+ members this month. Just be aware that there's the potential for a hard lock on certain PS3s if you patch the game before going through the initial setup after launching it for the first time.

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
48. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 15, 2014, 07:58 panbient

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:14:
Time to move on to the next feature on the 264 pages long list. Landing gear animations, than helmet HUD bad breath indicator, than the digital hair comb for the backers at 63mill

Virtual LIQUOR CABINETS!!! So you can DUI in space!

I'm not even kidding, I just saw the RSI email.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $61M
17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $61M Nov 13, 2014, 09:55 panbient

WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 09:19:
You can stick an antenna out of your window and pick up at least one television station that you don't have to pay to receive--strictly because of advertising.

What decade are you in?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 09:51 panbient

Well geez Ars.... maybe, just maybe video games are not the same as every other type of entertainment media out there regardless of the efforts of some to homogenize every aspect of the entertainment industry into a interactive digital product they want to market as a 'video game'.

I mean really, if you eliminate the concept of progression through a video game all you really have is a collection of digital assets.

News Comments > Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale
9. Re: Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale Nov 13, 2014, 08:17 panbient

Anyone know if it's possible to trade / gift GOG titles now?

I already own The Witcher 2 and I'm not interested in that movie but I don't mind clicking a 'stamp' every 16 hours to hook someone up with a bunch of awesome. I know I could just download the files and pass a thumb drive around my circle of friends but I'd rather keep it on the up and up.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Randal's Monday
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Randal's Monday Nov 12, 2014, 17:24 panbient

Wish it were Sunday.  

News Comments > Sun Sets on Dawngate
13. Re: Sun Sets on Dawngate Nov 5, 2014, 06:46 panbient

Seventyfive wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 19:42:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 19:40:
MOBA's are on the decline. EA got in a bit late to the party.

"Riot Games earned $624 million from League of Legends last year, and that was only good enough for second place on the top-ten free-to-play earnings list. In 2014, however, it's shot to number one, and is poised to be the first to break $1 billion in microtransaction revenues." -PC Gamer

Dead eh?

Just remember there's a huge difference between earnings / revenue and actual profit.

417 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo