Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 355 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
95. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 09:18 panbient

Parias wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 21:14:
We'll have to see how the gameplay mechanics end up coming together.

I'm sorry but this line right here... this is terrifying. A full year of crowd sourcing and an order of magnitude more money than the next nearest endeavor and the game mechanics are still being fleshed out?

Yikes...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 12:20 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 12:10:
I guess you failed to read the rest of my post showing the mass amounts of people putting thousands into this game.

Wow. You really just don't get it. This has nothing to do with the fact that they can get backing or that the average forum poster has purchased a couple of ships.

It's go everything to do with the fact that they keep getting more and more backing for what is essentially at this point still hype and hope. Just because people are investing doesn't mean there's substance just hope.

9. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 11:55 panbient

El Pit wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 11:27:
There's no big company working on a good Privateer/Wing Commander/Freelancer/Starlancer game, so that's why hopes are high and wallets are open for Star Citizen. Let's see whether the Roberts brothers can deliver.

That's what's most concerning to me. I've wanted a great Privateer game for going on 20 years. Still have my copy of Starlancer. Loved Freelancer aside from that stupid forced race event. Just for clarity I don't think this is a scam, I just think expectations are becoming questionable.

Realistically people have provided this company with a substantially larger budget than what most entrepreneurs get to start a completely new business, not just producing a single product. It's concerning because a lot of people seem to be running full tilt with hype and hope and while the Roberts brothers have had a good track record, it's been a long time since they released something major. I can't think of any other product that even attempted the current scope of the existing design.

Then there's the fact that they keep expanding the scope of the design and production of the product. It's not necessarily a bad thing but when do they plan on getting out of design phase feature creep and start focusing on production? At this point they've been pulling in money for over a year and constantly expanding expectations. It's a great way to keep a production company in business, but where's the finish line?

I REEEAAAALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYY hope this works out. I would absolutely love a great modern Privateer style game. But there's always that old adage about how trying to please everyone never pleases anyone, right?

1. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 11:20 panbient

When something sounds too good to be true...  

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Nov 25, 2013, 12:02 panbient

Pigeon wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 08:50:
Hopefully Sony will avoid that pitfall, but it sounds like they're going to give it a try with GT6. This has soured me on the notion of buying a PS4.

Why would a game coming out for PS3 sour you on the idea of getting a PS4?

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 15:54 panbient

Redmask wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 13:30:
Ignoring it and hoping for the best isn't working, there are enough children with their parents credit card who impulse purchase everything they can for achievements and other knickknacks that companies throw at them.

Don't blame the publisher for bad parenting.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2013, 09:35 panbient

There's no press like bad press. How much extra attention has GoldieBlox gotten since this mess with the Beastie Boys started? Their marketing person deserves a raise.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 09:20 panbient

Hmm... what happens when you launch a new game console that features full priced AAA games at retail then asks for microtransactions at home?

My guess is you sell substantially less consoles than any competitor that doesn't follow that same broken logic in regards to the market.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions?
22. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions? Sep 24, 2013, 06:57 panbient

When I'm playing the game and I have $9387 in my character's account and I drive by and notice the golf course for sale for $150 000 000... I'd be tempted to spend $10 of real world money for the easy purchase, especially if it's after a few glasses of whiskey.  

News Comments > Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter
1. Re: Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter Sep 14, 2013, 11:12 panbient

Everything about this pitch sounds rooted in idealism with no regards to the pragmatic reality of larger scale software development. Especially the constant flow of BS about needing backers to make decisions about the base aspects of the product.

Concept art? Need backers to help make the choice... for concept art...

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 06:43 panbient

osage no onna wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 02:18:

That sounds really defeatist somehow. "We're probably going to fail anyway so why try so hard". If you're just throwing something half-baked out there with the hope that it'll somehow do so well that you can evolve it into a proper quality game, it likely won't. Just make the best thing you can and try to have some faith in it.

Edit: Kotaku's link-baiting attempt at controversy worked again, but I have an adblocker so the last laugh's on them Smug

That sounds like almost word for word like the former VP of my company and the current lead designer on our 'first' attempt at a F2P product (even though it's our 2nd - just this one got released first). The worst attitude is that 'analytics' and 'data tracking' will provide the necessary direction for the design of the product so he doesn't actually have to finish cooking his half-baked ideas.

His entire design documentation in regards to updating a feature - "The clothing store needs to be redesigned." That's it, that's all, that's the entirety of the design document in regards to that feature. I suppose I could get fired and sued for posting this, then again they pay me less than some entry level call center positions too, so... whatever.

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
55. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 09:57 panbient

shihonage wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 23:12:
id has been dead since Romero left, really.

If there was ever a video game collaboration proving the classic "more than the sum of its parts" adage it's Carmack and Romero.

What -really- happened to make it so they'd never work together again?

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2013, 07:07 panbient

"Asking the people who make our games to hold their breath, submerge themselves in this environment, only to judge them for gasping when they come back up for air is too much for anyone. We do it anyway, and then we continue when they walk away."

The best part of this is when it's being done to you by your employer / producer / manager. It's not like there aren't hundreds of fresh graduates desperate for the chance to be exploited in my current job... right?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 24, 2013, 18:00 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:01:
Fuck Rogers

I cannot begin to count the amount of times I've heard this sentiment expressed over the years.

News Comments > Désilets Sues Ubisoft
10. Re: Désilets Sues Ubisoft Jun 9, 2013, 08:54 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 18:22:
this is cute move on Ubisoft's part because they haven't cancelled the game, only suspended it - indefinitely - so it's not technically not a breach of contract.

Not denying the veracity of this claim or idea, but anyone who's thinking this is any sort of new kind of horrible on Ubisoft's part should look at the music industry and how it handled its talent in decades past. This is (unfortunately) not any sort of exceptional behaviour within the larger entertainment industry and actually kind of routine.

Everything I read about this situation has me thinking it's stemming from a hothead who didn't read the fine print in his first contracts. Especially the move to force Ubisoft to accept whatever he delivered as as 'acceptable prototype' and remove the clause to terminate him on a failure to deliver? How does that even work? How can ANYONE presume to tell their employers to just accept whatever they deliver and remove any possible contractual repercussions should the deliverable not match the employers expectations?

In regular terms it reads like, 'Fuck you boss! This is good enough and you're going to like it and you can't say anything back to me!'. Why would you keep that person on staff or return the materials they created while contracted to perform work for your business?

News Comments > New Diablo III Game Director
25. Re: New Diablo III Game Director Jun 6, 2013, 06:39 panbient

How about less announcements about announcements. Less hot air and hype about what they hope for the future and long term goals of their money printing prototype. And more reports about the actual direct changes they're making to the product so it sucks less.

I don't care about about their future focus and their hope for tomorrow. Tell me what you did yesterday that would make me want to play the game today or STFU, tomorrow is irrelevant.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 4, 2013, 18:11 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 16:20:
Harmonix's next project is Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved.

Damn, why so much hate on the Youtube video?

You mean besides the fact that it's got exactly 0 frames of actual gameplay?

Or maybe the fact that it's a single console exclusive?

Or maybe they're replacing the orchestral music of the original with generic pop tripe?

Or maybe the fact that their last games appealed to a broad selection of music fans as opposed to whatever group is supposed to find interpretive dancing in front of a kinect to trigger random samples and synth filters cool? How well did WiiMusic do?

All said and done I spent the better part of about $6000 on my Rock Band setup over the years (drums are expensive). But this Fantasia thing? After that trailer? Not another dime.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2013, 08:34 panbient

This article was written by a whiny would-be worker who doesn't seem to fully understand the concept of temporary work and thought his first contract in the game industry would instantly catapult him to his dream job. You know how most job posting will require 2-3 years of industry experience prior to consideration? Contract work counts as experience toward that requirement.

50 resumes in 5 months is 2-3 resumes a week. That's not how you get a job. This sounds like a rant from some teenager getting their first real job (then again the picture of a divorced 30-something playing BF3 until he decided his rank was high enough to get an industry job doesn't paint a prettier picture). Being shocked and dismayed that the permanent employees only superficially associate with temp workers (who by their very nature are all likely going to be gone in a few months) is like being amazed that standing in the rain gets you wet.

Age does not equal experience. If you honestly thought you were worth hiring as a full time employee you should have politely demanded more than the $11/hour they'd offer to high school kids. It's not rude to recognize and reflect your worth back to your potential employer.

I don't know how temp agencies work in the States but in Canada they charge the employer about 50% more than what the employee is paid. If you're going through a temp agency and you want a raise, it's between the individual and the agency, not between the individual and the company who made a deal with the agency.

So here's what really happened - you worked on the biggest title of 2012. You can honestly put that on your resume - that line alone would get you noticed and considered. But then you also wrote a 2000 word shit smear that makes you look bratty and entitled and got it published by a bunch of major industry sites which will likely always be one of the top Google hits any future HR person sees whenever you apply for another industry job.

Well played, Sir. Well played. Go make me a burger.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 22, 2013, 19:12 panbient

I know they'd never post it but I'd really REALLY like to know what the Diablo 3 retention rate was after the launch week / 1st month / quarter. Has it started going up again yet?  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. May 8, 2013, 18:13 panbient

At least the 'modern' gamer trying SS2 for the first time called himself spoiled 4 times within 7 paragraphs.

I still haven't experience a gaming moment as awesome as stepping out of The Many and back onto Citadel Station since that fateful day back in early 2000.

Now if only the original System Shock could get an HD facelift while keeping everything else intact.

355 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo