Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 391 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:16 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:51:
Sony should be worst company in America, except that they're a Japanese company.

Why? Genuinely curious here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
19. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 panbient

Now that they've 'fixed' the auction house what are the odds of cross platform MP? I know Blizzard has said no in the past but they also said the AH was an integral part of the product...

I'd really rather just play it on my PS3 while most of my friends are attached to their PC characters. I just prefer the subtle distinction of actually moving my character rather than clicking on where I want it to go. At the same time I suppose gamepad support for the PC version would work too.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Mar 17, 2014, 11:03 panbient

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 17:31:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 16:43:
I challenge anyone to show me a single example of a videogame movie that didn't suck.

People seemed to like the first Mortal Kombat, though I never saw it. I liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I'll vouch for the first MK movie. Don't go in there expecting high-brow cinema but as far as rainy Saturday afternoon action flicks go, it's great.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 15:13 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:10:
If you can make games... and you are making $15 an hour. Be like Gary, he has now made two games at more than 30 million in revenue each. If you can make games why settle for money a waitress can make more at? You have a mad skill. You are skilled labor.

Congratulations on getting really lucky.

This bit reads like the same crap my aunts throw at me when they wonder why I didn't invent facebook or google because I could make HTML pages back in the day... Garry got VERY lucky. Why didn't you make Flappy Bird?

By 'business development' do you mean middle management or actually entrepreneurship and starting your own company? In which case not everyone has access to the venture capital to get a business started nor are there always the available talent pools to staff the endeavor. Same as not everyone has the stomach or political acumen necessary for middle management.

You also don't seem to want to consider the fact that the developer asking for $100k a year will be reminded that they can easily be replaced by 3 juniors for 10k less than their desired salary who will be willing to put the overtime crunch necessary to accomplish the same results. How many developers working beneath you are making 6 figure salaries?

I will agree that it feels exploitative and like you're living a very bad joke. It's probably why I've quit it again. The industry is only getting busier, not better.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 11:28 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:40:
Can't speak for the Mexican's. But then I hope those not making 100K are getting profit sharing then. 50k avg? Then we can bring in all the extra cost beyond salaries.

Man I WISH I had managed to work in whatever magical dreamland of development you envision. The average is closer to $30-40k / year. Especially for unproven / fresh talent. Which is EASY to find when there are so many people desperate for legitimate 'industry experience'.

Really though... 100k / year as an average for a video game developer? WOW... just wow.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2014, 12:25 panbient

That ebay listing for the bomber has been removed. Did anyone happen to see what the asking price was? Just curious.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
22. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:19 panbient

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 13:54:
There is also this thing called reality. Not every game can be Uncharted, GTA or Call of Duty, and not every game can sell like it. Any publisher that pretends their game is going to soar to such heights, history of the franchise be damned (and Tomb Raider had never sold more than ~4 million copies), are a bunch of delusional fucking morons that, again, have no fucking clue what they are doing.

But they properly cloned Uncharted for the latest game and offered it on all platforms. And the original apparently sold like 7 million copies back in the 90s. So, how were the expectations that flawed?

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
16. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 12:43 panbient

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:28:
In other words: Nobody at Square Enix knows what the FUCK they are doing.

Really? Because it sounds to me more like a situation where CD is only comparing its current sales to its past sales and S-E is comparing them to the industry rather than their personal history. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to make calls for celebration when you're only comparing yourself to your past rather than your current peers.

That's not to say 6 million sales is anything to scoff at or that the initial 3 million in the first week were anything short of extraordinary. But how does it compare to something like the last Uncharted game?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 31, 2014, 08:31 panbient

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 20:48:
I like how you can trade in any PS3 but only certain 360's, MS sure doesn't wan't those old bricks they sold you.

Payday 2 free this month!?

Yup.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/30/playstation-plus-february-preview/

Oh wow... I just finally started getting into the original Payday and finally cleared up enough space on my PS3 to get Dragon's Dogma downloaded. Now the sequel is free AND Metro Last Light now too? (and all of a whopping 2gb of free space)

So... is there any point in keeping the original Payday?

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: SiN Jan 31, 2014, 08:24 panbient

jimnms wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 01:44:
I loved SiN back in the day. I have it on Steam, but I don't know if it has the expansion pack. I think it came with the pre-order of the SiN Episodes. I thought it was available by itself on Steam, but I don't see it. SiN Episode one was good, it sucks that they didn't continue it. Someone should remake the original SiN in Source like Black Mesa did for Half-Life (except don't take 10 fucking years).

I got my Steam copy of the original with the Episode as well. Don't remember needing to pre-order though, seems to me the original was a 'bonus'. Maybe it's because I bought a retail copy?

Though I remember getting stuck in the bank and not being able to access the computer to unlock the vault or something. Either way, my progress was blocked really early on. Didn't have this hassle on the non-Steam version I played through even longer ago.

A remake would be awesome though. SiN was definitely a better game than the reputation it got after the early launch to beat Half-Life onto the shelf. It won't make you forget HL but it was way better than Duke3d.

News Comments > Blizzard Layoff Rumor Addressed
3. Re: Blizzard Layoff Rumor Addressed Jan 25, 2014, 17:19 panbient

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 17:04:
One person is "not writing on the wall."

No... but relocating 10-15 people from a division certainly IS some sort of writing on the wall. Especially where it's described as a "major portion" of the team. That seems pretty indicative of a coming office shutdown.

News Comments > Close Combat: Cross of Iron Multiplayer Campaign Support Ending
1. Re: Close Combat: Cross of Iron Multiplayer Campaign Support Ending Jan 23, 2014, 17:40 panbient

I remember liking the Close Combat games WAY back in the day. Had no idea they were still making newer versions though. Probably a reason why the MP was generally dormant.

Seriously though, why no Steam availability?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 22, 2014, 18:16 panbient

Re: Cracked

That article is kind of worthless. It states that only 'some' virus checks can detect an infection but doesn't actually bother specifying which ones? Instead just asking visitors to avoid the site? Are softpedia / Barracuda Labs owned by MAD Magazine or something?

Better question... who still uses Internet Explorer? and the 32 bit version at that...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 panbient

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 09:55:
Pretty silly, you can disable it on the PC already with some forum dudes hacked wrapper. It serves no purpose unless you have the camera, let people disable it already.

A piece of black electrical tape works perfectly as well, but it would be nice if it was an actual option.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access
14. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 20:26 panbient

Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 19:57:
if you aren't going to pay to compete then don't bother.

Thanks for saving me download time.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Onslaught: Play as Mike Myers
7. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Onslaught: Play as Mike Myers Jan 14, 2014, 11:12 panbient

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 18:06:
Damn, I was envisioning players running around dressed like and sounding like Wayne, Austin Powers, Dr Evil, Dieter, etc. Oh well.

You shot me! Excellent. Party on!

Offer a Garth skin and it would be the first CoD I ever purchase (especially if you land on your keys when you crawl - hehe). Party on indeed!

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
8. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 9, 2014, 21:09 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 19:40:
Diablo 1 kicked ass because it was dark and gritty. Torchlight is too bright and cute. And Tit Quest wasn't that good but the expansion was.

Diablo 1 kicked ass despite being super dark and gritty. The 2nd area is almost entirely black and dark brown with either invisible monsters, brown demons, or grey goatmen. And that lasts for 25% of the game.

I played through it again last month for the first time in years and what struck me most was how narrow the scope and variety of the loot was compared to later games (regular white items, blue magic, and gold uniques). What's really amazing though is that I never felt the need for more types. The game wasn't just about collecting gear for your character. It was about creating a character capable of beating Diablo. Once. Then it was over, THE END. Start a new character, and see what kind of hero you can come up with given the variety of random drops.

Like others have said, the original focus was the action with the loot and RPG stuff tacked on to support it. That's what all the others got wrong (except D2 of course).

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
1. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 8, 2014, 17:46 panbient

Whether or not anyone from GOG reads this comment... thanks for a great 5 years of service for those classics. It's VERY appreciated  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
25. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 5, 2014, 10:06 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 22:36:
GTA Toronto would be nice... GTA: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

The more I think about it the better it gets. Feature downtown Toronto, Windsor, Detroit. Cross border smuggling over the great lakes by small plane or boat. Could even set it in the 80s with a young Trevor.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 17:00 panbient

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 16:08:
They should do Toronto, GTA in the GTA

The only real question now is... would Rob Ford be the protagonist or the antagonist? hehehe

391 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo