Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 298 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 19, 2013, 06:51 panbient

Yeah it sucks and all but at the same time it was inevitable. On the plus side, all the pre-RB3 DLC is still 50% off.

They also keep teasing new artists who have never been featured. I'm really hoping they've got a major coup for the finale like Pink Floyd as opposed to something from one of the developer's friend's cousin's band.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
13. Re: etc., etc. Feb 14, 2013, 06:49 panbient

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:39:

Funny how my installation only shows 6.2GB installed. I guess the other 13.8GB just vanished in to thin air?

Or you know, having enough HD space to download the install package, enough space to then extract it, and enough overhead to be able to install it smoothly. It's not like Steam compresses their install packs much, if anything it's just archived for the convenience of only having to download a single file.

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow
30. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 17:02 panbient

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
I think best atmosphere ever made in a game, but I found the game itself to always be a bit clunky. It was in many ways a step back from the original System Shock,

This.

SS2 was super awesome until you left the ships and entered The Many at which point it felt like Half Life / Xen all over again. Although stepping -out- of The Many and into the SS2 endgame stands as one of the absolute greatest videogame moments I've ever experienced.

Now if only we could get a proper updated version of the original System Shock, then I'd honestly be satisfied.

And no enemy in SS2 creeped me out quite the same as the Cortex Reavers in the original.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 8, 2013, 22:38 panbient

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:18:
Skies of Arcadia is great, I just replayed it recently!

I really wanted to like this game back in the day, but when the average load time for combat was longer than the actual battle coupled with how often you ran into hostilities I wrote it off as 'the loading screen game' and I went back to Rush 2049 or Phantasy Star Online.

I also still have my Dreamcast hooked up next to my PS3. Very VERY upset when I recently opened the case for Rush 2049 only to find it empty

Bangai-O and Ikaruga are must plays for anyone who still has the machine.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
18. Re: Evening Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 17:22 panbient

Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 12:31:
I hear this a lot but it's not really as bad as people seem to think. Firstly, compatibility testing is typically outsourced to professional testing groups. This is done a few times throughout development. It's not like the devs are constantly testing every possible hardware combination in existence.

Secondly, console games have to go through certification, which is just as much hassle as ensuring compatibility on a wide range of PC hardware.If EA wants Dead Space to sell more PC units, they need to put effort into the ports. It's that simple.

QA might not be 'that' bad but it's not 'that' simple either. Every build you send to a testing firm for compatibility testing costs both time and money. Deadlines for launch? Better hope that build is super solid.

Assuming console certification is just a much hassle as pc hardware combinations is folly to me. A developer would have a list of the criteria the console manufacturer is going to test against and their expectations for each point of contention. If a developer is having hassles getting certified it's likely because they're trying to slip sub-par work to the marketplace, not because this PS3 has a different sound chip than that PS3.

While I agree with your final line in theory, the reality is EA wants to launch all platforms on the same day. I don't think they care -at all- to sell more PC units than any console, they just want to be able to offer the product to as many platforms as possible as quickly as possible. Quite frankly the PC market is not nearly as substantial as its proponents like to claim (and I do prefer gaming on my pc too), but the numbers don't lie, look at Dead Space 2's sales - 1.3 million on the 360, 1.23 million on PS3, and 260 000 on PC. source - http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dead+space+2

If you don't like it, Tumbler said it best - vote with your wallet.

@Verno - look at the numbers, a $20 increase on the title for a premium pc version with bells and whistles wouldn't amount to squat. If you want the developers to cater to the pc crowd, then the pc market need to generate 5 times more sales, or increase the price by 5 fold. Don't know about you, but I certainly would not pay $250 for a pc game just so I can get smoother mouse and keyboard support and higher rez textures.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
6. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 16:38 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 16:08:
Is there something that causes people who work in video games which drives them to alcohol?

Yup. The customers.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
10. Re: Evening Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 07:01 panbient

DangerDog wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 03:48:
They develop these games using unreal engine on a PC, who are they kidding trying to make it seem like it's a monumental task to create a PC port of the game.

Go work a port project then tell me how simple it is to just convert a product.

Just because it's built on a pc doesn't mean it's inherently created for a pc release. It is NOT just a matter a flipping an option when creating a final build to fart out a pc version at the same time as a console version.

The biggest hassle and setback with creating for the pc is the quality assurance. It's a WHOLE LOT easier to confirm operational stability and marketable quality on a closed console (where it can technically be done with just 3-4 machines) than it is for an open platform like the pc (where it HAS to be done on at least 3-4 different operating systems - twice for x32 and x64, and that's not even touching ALL the hardware possibilities).

To demand or expect extra content or higher quality assets absolutely requires the pc market to generate greater revenue than the console market. That's ultimately what it boils down to. How would it make any sense for the developer to funnel loads of money and resources into features only a small minority of paying customers will even notice let alone take full advantage of?

Though I have to say it's quite sad that something like the ability to remap keyboard keys has become a contentious issue in game development. Fighting for credit for something that has/had been standard for decades is just WTF

News Comments > SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition
13. Re: SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition Jan 26, 2013, 09:03 panbient

Whiskers wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 21:55:
If Relic is allowed to keep their Warhammer 40k license then Sega now holds all Warhammer licenses I think. Creative Assembly was just given the rights to do a Warhammer fantasy game.

Pretty sure the license goes back to Games Workshop and become open to negotiation. Considering Sega already acquired the rights to make a WH Fantasy Battle recently and the successful working relationship Relic had with GW I can't see reacquiring the 40k license to be a huge challenge.

Really curious about the Homeworld IP. Heard quite a few different claims over the last few days. Most concerning is that it's still somehow owned by Vivendi though that also deals with legalese semantics like 'right to use' the IP vs. 'ownership of' the IP as spoken (or misspoken) by a PR person years ago. So who really knows?

News Comments > Ex-Relic Boss Joins Activision
8. Re: Ex-Relic Boss Joins Activision Jan 23, 2013, 17:09 panbient

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:00:
Sega publishes the Total War games and they also published Universe at War, they are no stranger to RTS games.

There's also the fact that they secured the rights to Warhammer Fantasy Battle not too long ago while Relic still had the rights to Warhammer 40k. So...

Total War: Warhammer 40k? YES PLEASE!!!

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic
25. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic Jan 22, 2013, 17:21 panbient

Never cared about the CGI, always cared about the underlying game mechanics.

After the original SC2 and it's 'totally not linear' campaign packed with scripted mission after scripted mission to teach you how to use a bunch of new units that you only ever use in that specific mission and don't even show up in MP; I'll be waiting until it's out and properly reviewed before spending any cash.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Gear Up Weekend
14. Re: Borderlands 2 Gear Up Weekend Jan 12, 2013, 16:46 panbient

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 15:47:
BTW, that code is for the PC version.
I think there's diff codes for the PS3 and xbox. Maybe thats why the diff reports? Anyway check the gearbox link for the other platforms.

Dang, I feel silly now. Please don't hate me for playing this one on ps3 hahaha

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Gear Up Weekend
11. Re: Borderlands 2 Gear Up Weekend Jan 12, 2013, 09:15 panbient

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 07:18:
Reminder:
gearbox gave out a shift code for 5 gold keys, it still works, as of this posting, I just tested it:
K3K33-3W9JT-6XJJT-TB3JB-HWZZF
Source:
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/983/awards-and-celebrations

I found it from here, which looks to be a list of all live shift codes:
http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key

I just tested that code a minute ago and it's expired

1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 8, 2013, 06:40 panbient

Finished or not, will it make me forget Bad Day LA?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2013, 08:14 panbient

Not sure how many readers still play Rock Band but this thread (and the related discussion thread) -

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233201

...really makes it seem like DLC is going to stop or significantly slow down in the Spring.

9. Re: etc., etc. Jan 5, 2013, 11:37 panbient

I went with Wilson as well. His comment might not have been the actual worse PR thing of the year but being the figurehead for one of the biggest launches of the year for one of the biggest companies in the industry, I would have expected Blizzard and its executives to be wiser in their communication. I didn't hate D3, but I also only know one person who kept playing after July (and I work at a small game studio).

Titov's attitude on the other hand, that's exactly the kind of arrogance I expect out of a small studio that managed to make itself look like it was on the verge of something huge. At least it seems like someone in the company got him to understand that he needed to disconnect his ego from the situation if he wanted his communication to start appearing remotely professional

News Comments > The Old Republic Roadmap Includes Same Gender Romance Plans
12. Re: The Old Republic Roadmap Includes Same Gender Romance Plans Jan 2, 2013, 18:45 panbient

entr0py wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 18:29:
I'm guessing none of you played Dragon Age or Mass Effect or you'd have a better idea of what to expect from Bioware romance options.

Both 'sex' options I got in Mass Effect basically involved my character going about his business trying to save the galaxy and having a female character essentially throw herself at me. In ME2 I screwed up and lost Miranda's trust prior to the final mission, didn't stop her from popping up between cutscenes to say "Hey there, we got some time to kill before this final conflict... wanna give it a go ;)" with pretty much those exact words.

You can call it added depth if you want, but it's only ever seemed hokey and shoehorned in my experience.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2012, 07:01 panbient

Jerykk wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 01:47:
Adult males are the target audience of hardcore games because they are the largest demographic for such games.

But which came first? The demographic demanding that style of sexist game or the sexist game that demanded an audience and lucked out?

I remember when Quake was -the- hardcore game, how could that game be successful without boobs? The demographic was fine with the products released that lacked overt sexism. So why the shift?

I also think comparing film and games is like comparing apples to twinkies. While there is sexism within Bond films they aren't sexist, they are capable of providing entertainment for both genders without forcing anyone to adopt a particular behaviour. You never have to grow a thicker skin to deal with verbal abuse from other moviegoers.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2012, 06:47 panbient

That legal warning about unauthorized lending is a default disclaimer used by certain major labels. I remember laughing the first time I read it on Soundgarden's Superunknown album... back in 1994, then I lent it to a classmate. This is not something any specific band is warning about, this is not a new warning from a label or the RIAA, though it might seem new for people who've never looked at fine print before.  

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 17:35 panbient

Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 17:12:
Unless the male gaming demographic suddenly becomes overtaken by women gamers, that isn't going to change.

Depending on what facet of the industry you look at it already happened, especially on the casual side of the fence (where most titles are either gender neutral or feature characters who are less sexualized). The games might not be as 'real' as true hardcore gamers expect but billions of dollars in revenue is still billions of dollars going into the gaming industry.

We might want to start actually catering rather than pandering to that demographic.

News Comments > The War Z Trademark Issue
18. Re: The War Z Trademark Issue Dec 25, 2012, 12:25 panbient

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 08:52:
http://i.imgur.com/rmaZv.jpg

Wow, that's pretty unbelievable.

... because replacing text within a white box in photoshop is unbelievable?

I'm not saying Hammerpoint is a class act but come on, or has Titov crossed the line and gone full-on Paul Christoforo?

298 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo