Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 590 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 11:34 panbient
I have to say it's super refreshing to hear someone like Cliffy B shoot down tax credit programs. Not like so many film and TV producers in my part of Canada screaming about the 'death of their industry' and how 'devastated' they are to have to move to a larger urban center like Montreal or Toronto to pursue what they want to do (and face real competition) rather than doing what a completely broke province needs.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
24. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 21:01 panbient
Slick wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 20:32:
lol, i'm only half joking, you gotta admit that it's pretty funny reading this thread that are all being mostly negative towards these devs for making something that doesn't "fit in" with current gaming tropes.

then every other thread is getting mad at games that only try to fit in with current gaming tropes. it's lose-lose.

and has one of you PLAYED this fucking game? no.

You're right, I didn't play it. But from the look of things, while it might not fit with modern mainstream tropes, it totally looks like a casual point and click / hidden object 'adventure' style game from anywhere in the last decade with a slight twist - a genre marketed at bored housewives before the iPad became their platform of choice. Only these devs deviated from the formula enough to alienate the housewives but stuck with a genre that hasn't resonated with the mainstream masses in decades. 4000 sales is disappointing that's for sure but did they honestly expect this to be a blockbuster?
News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:45 panbient
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:29:
But... WHY even mention that in the article?

It's pretty clear in the update that it's because the article was being dragged into the GG mess through twitter. Ignoring it would have made him seem complicit, addressing it makes his stance clear.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2015, 11:17 panbient
Is the dog doing a handstand or is that just a weird angle? Both are acceptable but a handstand / front-paw-stand would be super duper hahaha  
News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
21. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 12:09 panbient
HorrorScope wrote on May 28, 2015, 11:58:
Yeah, well it runs gaming 4 pc's of mine over here for years. If you want to splurge go to $50. It doesn't need a +$100 psu I can assure you.

I will admit that the nice cloth bag with a drawstring that came with my Corsair PSU is pretty nice. No idea why any manufacturer thought I'd need a cloth bag for a PSU but still a nice accessory hahaha

And while it would have likely been a $80-$100 piece I definitely bought it on a 1/2 off sale (same as pretty much every piece of hardware ever unless it's an emergency replacement).
News Comments > Borderlands Drop Rate Increases
6. Re: Borderlands Drop Rate Increases May 27, 2015, 11:50 panbient
eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2015, 10:41:
That's like Diablo 3 just randomly dropping legendaries on you after you entered a code. Where is the FUN in that?

Did anyone actually get legendaries by using golden keys? Best I ever saw were purples and only very rarely worth equipping.
News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
13. Re: CDPR: May 27, 2015, 11:46 panbient
Cutter wrote on May 27, 2015, 11:02:
3 years on and nothing to show does not bode well. Sounds like a vision problem.

Or maybe the more or less constant gripes about how The Witcher 3 didn't live up to E3 2013 previews has them rethinking their PR strategy.
News Comments > Need for Speed Reboot This Autumn
5. Re: Need for Speed Reboot This Autumn May 21, 2015, 13:20 panbient
ForgedReality wrote on May 21, 2015, 12:54:
High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed). That's the only way they'll make another good Need For Speed.

I'd be super happy just getting HD 'remasters' of those classics. I still have my discs somewhere but last time I tried Porsche Unleashed I couldn't go farther than the main menu. I'd also much rather see a focus on a collection of great race tracks than any sort of open world shenanigan or any sort of focus on 'urban car culture'.

When I played NFS I wanted to race like a maniac (aka arcade style), not drive around looking for events. Unfortunately this doesn't seem like it'll scratch that itch.
News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 15, 2015, 19:52 panbient
Nothing really stand out for a first 6 song reveal but I might just be jaded. And more Spin Doctors? Why? Ugh.

There's a related video about what bands the developers would like to see in the game. The reaction (blushing / nervous hand shaking etc.) by one of the execs when he starts talking about Pink Floyd has me wondering if they're going to have a major announcement for E3. He basically looked like a little kid straining to keep a secret.
News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch
10. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch May 9, 2015, 13:20 panbient
How are the load times?

I got fed up of having to constantly sit at a load screen while exploring Defiance Bay... or resting at the stronghold (though the patch notes make it seem like the triple load action to reach the room has been circumvented).
News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
9. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 10:50 panbient
Task wrote on May 7, 2015, 10:33:
panbient wrote on May 7, 2015, 10:25:
... Lexicanum straight through to the end.

A trick with Lexicanum at the end ->

Nice. Though at the same time the 'normal' result was quite appropriate as well. Just a little bit of extra personal incentive rather than just being told how to feel about the final battle.

But now I'm also curious as to whether or not I could have changed things if I had anyone other than Lex with level 10 electronics...
News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
7. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 10:25 panbient
Precision targeting? Do I aim for the eyes or aim for the crotch... decisions, decisions hahaha

As for difficulty I guess it's all relative. I had a hard time at the start and more or less breezed through the later half of the game. I also really like the extra characters, seems everyone has their own set of favourites. I ran with Vulture's Cry, Ralphy (by far my favourite), and Lexicanum straight through to the end.
News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. May 5, 2015, 16:08 panbient
Squirmer wrote on May 4, 2015, 22:19:
Sounds like id's idea was not to charge people for mods, but the company itself would pay mod makers based on how attention their work got. Probably wouldn't pay them very much, but it's something.

Instead they just hired them. I'd say Zoid got his money's worth after making the original CTF mod, same with Robert Duffy after making QERadiant and I'm sure I'm missing at least another community person who got hired on.

As for the rest I think the biggest issue is that mods were free for the longest time because developers were protective of their technology. It was fine for users to fool around with it, but if they wanted to sell something they had to get a commercial license.

It also raises the question of quality and control. Does it go through any sort of QA / vetting process before being sold? We all saw the mess on Steam when free mods were being scooped up and then sold as a bundle with nothing going back to the actual creators. How does that get controlled?
News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 4, 2015, 15:44 panbient
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 4, 2015, 15:27:

Maybe the anxiety aspect is why so many pro gamers take anti-anxiety and adhd "medications" like adderall to improve their game and maintain focus. Legal speed.

Except the anxiety aspect is not at all specific to pro-gaming. ANY professional role that has a competitive element is going to be prone to anxiety. Seems to me one of the most common aspects of pro-athletes regardless of specific sport is their ability to stay cool under pressure.

What baffled me most from that article was the fact that he's apparently getting paid between $60 and $100k a year yet still 'needs' to share an apartment with 5 others...
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 15, 2015, 09:06 panbient
nin wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 08:53:
Sticking w/ Rock Band anyway...

That's actually what's going to make me get a PS4 hahaha
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 15, 2015, 08:57 panbient
MindStalker3 wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 07:47:
As others said, why are there only 3 grey buttons in the tab bar? 3 buttons? Meh

There are 6 buttons, arranged in two rows of 3 - white and black.

The grey ones on the bar are to designate which ones to hit (left, middle, right) then based on the colour of the note on the chart either the top or bottom (or both?) buttons are pressed.

I can see how it might actually feel more natural - if for example you had to press both left buttons then the top right button could actually feel like a power chord.

But that trailer is gross 3 minutes of douchebaggery for 30 seconds of footage. I'm also not a fan of the FPS on a stage presentation at all. And being planned to launch of tablets and mobiles at the same time is another red flag.

Also noteworthy is the complete lack of any information about the existing GH back catalog and previously owned DLC (which is likely worthless now considering the new interface). GHTV is interesting but unproven, and still doesn't add value to my old GH content.

Unlike Rock Band 4 who's big selling point is the fact that you get to keep growing your collection rather than starting over.
5. Re: etc., etc. Apr 7, 2015, 11:30 panbient
peteham wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 09:52:
Still, I wonder how many of the comments I've seen regarding poor writing come from people interacting with backer NPCs without knowing what they are.

That's definitely fair. I also fell into that camp when I first started playing the game as well, though I didn't think the quality was bad, just that some content felt a bit out of place. For the most part the NPCs seem to have been edited / proofed to fit within the world. But big picture, it's a really innovative way to include the community and enrich the game world.

Memorials on the other hand are all over the place in regards to writing quality and content.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 7, 2015, 09:48 panbient
peteham wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 09:40:
So... These are the best NPCs? Good grief.

Still going to wait for another patch or two before diving in. And possibly a backer NPC removal mod.

It's an article on Something Awful...

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
33. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 2, 2015, 09:13 panbient
yonder wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 01:56:
I'm honestly curious as to your history with QA and software development cuz... well... yes. Yes it IS that bad. This should have never made it anywhere near release. But nothing will ever touch Pool of Radiance and their "uninstalling this game may erase your OS" bug. NOTHING will touch that.

Technically I've worked as a QA, tester, and designer and higher-ups had tried to push me into being a QA manager before I completely burned out. No, it is not that bad. Yes, it is entirely within reason that something like this made it through to release (obviously depending on when it was introduced).

Technically speaking this is -not- a game breaker. The game still loads, runs, functions, story triggers still launch and the player is still technically able to proceed through the product. Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter it is not a game breaker. If double clicking on an item crashed to the desktop or locked you in the inventory screen or otherwise impeded your ability to progress etc. then it would be an actual game breaker. This is just a major inconvenience.

Coming up to release the focus on QA would have most likely been revolving around story triggers and blockers. Making sure that particular events triggered when they were supposed to and that skipping ahead through side quests didn't break main quest progression. Most of that would be done using debug tools rather than paying a tester to actually sit there and play through the entire content as well, it's just not feasible with a product of this scope.

And balance issues would not be getting addressed in the final QA passes prior to launch, that would come along in a future patch - same as text issues and other polish. There's only a finite amount of testing time and priorities need to be established, and like it or not, technical functionality trumps pretty much everything in the final pre-launch crunch.
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 1, 2015, 20:42 panbient
The only way I can see a new Guitar Hero game not bombing is if they actually renegotiated all their licensing deals and somehow manage to copy Rock Band's ability to carry over the bulk of their previously existing content.

Most people who liked the genre enjoyed both franchises, and personally I preferred the GH set lists. But when Rock Band 4 can potentially have a solid 300+ song library right out of the gate simply by having owned the previous iterations, Guitar Hero (seven? ...seventeen?) needs to offer better than just whatever is on disc.
590 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo