Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 553 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
20. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 4, 2015, 10:14 panbient

El Pit wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 01:09:
To put it with the great Frank Zappa: The Torture Never Stops. Neither will the development of this game. One game to rule them all? Yeah, sure.

Great tune, but I think 'The Radio is Broken' really captures the whole SC phenomenon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: "Call Me"
2. Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: Sep 4, 2015, 10:10 panbient

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 09:34:
Mickey dont sell. Like Machete don't text.

Yeah I figure he's got a better chance of getting hired as a producer on a Monkey Island title than ever repurchasing the IP.

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
15. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 29, 2015, 09:23 panbient

harlock wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 18:32:
btw the whole Handsome Jack character made me want to track down the writer and punch him in the brain.. voice actor didnt help at either

EVERYTHING with Borderlands 2 made me want to slaughter the writer whenever the shooting stopped. I'm still amazed at what this franchise became after being built on some of the strongest co-op gameplay out there. Maybe it's because I played it on a console / couch situation and had an easier chance to enjoy that possibility. Surviving a tough boss battle with your friends a few feet away and hollering the whole time before overcoming the challenge is something that neither a voice in a headset nor creative writing / scripting can ever replicate.

I don't figure it'll be SMB bad, but I'm expecting somewhere between Double Dragon and Doom. Maybe if we're lucky it'll be on par with Tank Girl.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Released
20. Re: Satellite Reign Released Aug 28, 2015, 16:38 panbient

I just hope there's a political assassination in a parade mission like in the original Syndicate. I tried a variety of ways to beat it. Finally settled on recruiting a new agent, giving them some kind of big gun and parking them in the middle of the parade path. Once the traffic stopped he opened fire and the chain reaction took out the target (and pretty much everything else on screen).

All while my more experienced team members nonchalantly walked to the mission exit zone while whistling a jaunty tune over a job well done.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 12:40 panbient

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:23:
I. FUCKING. HATE. THAT. NAME.

Why the fuck can't they call the first one "Divinity: Original Sin" and the second one "Divinity 2: Second Coming" or something? Dumb.

I liked the suggestion from a pcgamesn writer when the sequel was first teased - Divinity: Derivative Sin.

News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
3. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 10:48 panbient

Did they really need to shoot that in front of garbage cans? Just, I don't know, trade places with the camera and shoot against the side of a building.

And how much did they pay for the big Trine poster that got dumped around 6 minutes in?

Seriously, while I did feel bad for these guys initially this is getting ridiculous.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2015, 09:15 panbient

I think there's something else to be said about how radio went from being the main source of media distribution to the public and being thoroughly replaced by TV (and becoming a main source of music distribution) by the time Springsteen started releasing singles.  

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
179. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 19:19 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 16:39:
Any court can have court marshals or the FTC or whatever send personnel to their many offices around the world and see that actual work is being done.
Which proves how utterly ridiculous this whole frivolous lawsuit is and I am baffled that someone self proclaimed intelligent and an expert in the field can argue otherwise.
That's Derek "Smart" for you right there.

Speaking of utterly ridiculous... the idea that a court would send out a Marshal to a video game studio. I know when you say Court Martial out loud it sounds the same, only it means something completely different (as in - it's a military court of law).

Maybe your thinking of the bailiff who is present in court in order to maintain order and security, or the sheriffs who are there when prisoners need to be transported. Also the FTC is an independent body that isn't directed by courts, hence being independent.

Google - helping people not sound utterly ridiculous since 1998.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
24. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 16:01 panbient

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 15:48:
-You probably can't beat that bear at the start that the guy talks to you about.

It depends on what you mean by 'at the start'.

If you're looking to fully clear the zone before moving on, then yeah you'll have difficulty as a solo fighter.

But... the next area is a town with sidequests to revisit that wildersness zone, and you can recruit a wizard in front of the Inn (or make NPCs). The blind spell is AoE and super awesome.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 10:19 panbient

And a 2.1 GB update on Steam even if you didn't get the expansion.

Will it ever reduce load times (mine averaged between 60-90 seconds)? I finished the base game like 2 weeks ago after logging 100 hours. I figure at least 10 of those were load screens.

Even with that gripe I totally plan on playing through it a 2nd time eventually.

146. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 09:58 panbient

descender wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 08:41:
This sounds suspiciously like another conversation I just had... What? You want facts?! Here, let me refer you back to something I wrote that has no verifiable source!

Seriously, you are not a reliable source of information in any way, linking to your own blog isn't proof that there is corruption in CIG. Unless you have any hard evidence this is just another frivolous lawsuit that will get laughed at by a judge.

I don't understand what you think you are accomplishing.

I do agree with your first part.

And I'm not a lawyer.

But... if it truly was a frivolous lawsuit couldn't / wouldn't CIG just start of with a classic Cease & Desist letter under threat of slander or libel charges? At which point wouldn't any continued action or words against them would be a chargeable offense?

Seems to me paying a lawyer to send a single letter would be a hell of a lot cheaper and less hassle than letting this play out in the press.

Maybe I read things wrong but it seems to me the potential lawsuit is predominantly about allowing any backer who requests a refund to be granted a refund due to the substantial changes and current challenges faced by the development process. That doesn't seem frivolous or unreasonable to me considering how much things have changed over the last 4 years.

Yes, I know they polled the 'community' and got back a resounding 'yes! keep expanding it!' - from the people that chose to (or were aware of) that poll. What about the backers who voted no? or who we unaware of the option and subsequent moving of the goalposts into the next timezone?

It's kind of like if someone in an office went around asking for money to get some pizza for lunch then realized they got WAY more money than they needed so they decide they'll get a chef to come in on some weekend -eventually- to prepare a massive buffet (which would include some pizza on the side). That might be a nicer option for some, but there are some other people involved who just wanted lunch today and that's what they paid for. Shouldn't they be allowed to get their money back?

112. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 21:26 panbient

Comet wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 20:17:
Regarding the 2014 release date. Did they ever assured backers that they would release in 2014? Answer is NO. That date was always a tentative date. And by the way. That expected date was for Squadron 42. Not SC MMO.

I think that's kind of the point for a lot of the unhappy people. This doesn't look like a new Wing Commander game anymore. And the part of the new and improved super duper vision that was going to be the new Wing Commander game (chopped up into episodes) doesn't seem like it'll be happening this year either.

Hell, go to the RSI site, enter 'Squadron 42' in the search box and tell me what you see. Because all I got back were a bunch of Star Marine status updates.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 23, 2015, 13:32 panbient

SMB might have been a horrible movie but something based on Fire Emblem done in the style of the Lord of the Rings films could be cool.

Or Zelda in the style of Willow.

Or Metroid a la Aliens! (ok I'm getting ridiculous)

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2015, 10:08 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 08:06:
For Steam which is not at the stock exchange, it makes no difference. But for developers and publishers selling on steam this makes a HUGE difference.

While that's definitely true, it's absolutely not Steam's responsibility. They're a distributor, not a publisher. If the developer or their publisher can't be bothered to research or don't care about the results before releasing another clone on the market it's on them, not Steam. And unlike past traditional distribution methods where physical shelf space was a valid concern, as a digital platform, it's irrelevant.

So if you want to release the 14th MOBA this quarter as if yous will be the one to finally cut away a substantial part of the LoL / DOTA2 market well... good luck with that. I would have invested the entire development budget in lottery tickets.

Really though, would you argue that iTunes should be telling musicians what style of music to create?

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 12:29 panbient

Awww man... you need 107 games in your Steam library to be part of the One Percent?

I only have 102. I feel like such a loser now hahaha

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 22, 2015, 10:10 panbient

nin wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 22:11:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 21:04:
So nin, did you play Wander?

I don't even recall it coming out. I just thought it was a good read from s different perspective most of us don't see.

It's definitely a good read, and something anyone thinking about getting into the industry should take a few minutes to enjoy. Personally I cringed the entire way through. Just the whole premise of someone being brought into development on an MMO without any experience in the industry and essentially became their sole tester... just

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! no no no no no no no ! NO! NOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"A lot of the other team members weren't from a game background"

As far as I can tell it's their first and only product. The link to the developer on the game site loops back to its own start page. The person listed in the article as the programmer is listed as the Press / Business Contact on the site.

A core team of no more than 10 people and only 3 full time? For an MMO?

I admit I'm harsh here, they deserve some recognition for being able to tough it out and manage to release something. But if it's so narrative heavy as implied throughout their website, then why did it actually need to be an MMO rather than an engrossing single player experience? I mean real objective justification as to why having all that extra technical framework was necessary for the narrative - not just because the lead decided they wanted to make an MMO.

They've apparently got more content and story planned. Why did they not implement that first rather than face the incredibly challenging technical difficulties involved in making an MMO? I can't answer that question and hindsight is always 20/20 but still, I cannot wrap my head around why anyone with a real clue on development would make that initial decision.

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
75. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 22, 2015, 09:41 panbient

Because I'm super duper bored this morning...

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 03:10:
Any game that's part way into development is a 'buggy unplayable mess of a demo'. It's still missing core functionality. Heck, try driving a car that's only two-thirds complete.

Like an engine + chassis but without a body? Sounds entirely drive-able, definitely not street legal, but totally drive-able, and likely the first 2 of 3 major elements to be addressed. In video game terms - the engine (again), and the fundamental mechanics of the various systems the product needs to support, and virtually nothing to look at. No bells, no whistles, nothing shiny or pretty yet, because it has no real big picture value if the underlying elements aren't solid. That's not to say it doesn't have value from a marketing / fund raising standpoint but that's a whole other can of worms.

What we do have, though, is evidence of much more substantial content coming - the social module, large maps, multi-crew and first-person combat. At the end of the year we should have a much better idea of where the project stands, as we'll have either had the social module, SM and AC2.0 or they'll be MIA.

And still nothing about Squadron 42, you know, the actual spiritual successor to Wing Commander that got so many people hyped in the very first place. And is there evidence or not, you completely flip flop between the start and the finish. Is there actual evidence coming or will it be MIA?

Don't forget, Half-Life 2 took five years to develop.

Don't forget, HL2, or GTA5, or Doom4 or whatever are being made by groups of people who've got a history of delivering. They're also not first attempts, and they're not trying to shoot for a target that no one has hit before and beyond the scope of anything else in the entire industry. Think about that. People who are essentially doing the same thing over again still have a hard time getting it right.

The scope of the project has expanded since the original pitch and now the only sensible comparison for development time is that of other AAA games and MMOs - they generally take at least fours years, usually five.

Again they're generally made by people who have a proven track record of delivering products. While I don't doubt the people hired by CIG have talent and ability Chris Roberts' own track record is a valid point of concern.

Doom 4 was announced back in 2007 - it's taken eight years and they haven't released anything more than a trailer.

Gee. I wonder if Id being absorbed by Zenimax / Bethesda had anything to do with the length of development. Oh! Development has been entirely restarted by Bethesda as of 2011.

We're all well aware of the delays. What matters is whether the end game is decent and that looks to be the case now more than ever. Go back and watch the original pitch then watch the Gamescom demo - the fidelity is far beyond what was originally shown.

Decent? DECENT?!?! Decent does not sound like a valid adjective for what has been routinely quoted as the Best Damn Space Sim Ever! Fidelity is worthless if the underlying framework can barely support it. It's like those douchebags who get a Ferrari body on top of a Honda Civic chassis. Sure it 'looks' like a Ferrari... but it's not a Ferrari.

29. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 13:08 panbient

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 12:58:

I can't remember where I read it, but it was estimated to be around $40-50 million for the music licenses. That undoubtedly has increased for the PC/PS4/Xbone versions since they have a lot more music.

Fair enough, sounds reasonable as well considering the amount of music. And if it did happen to come out of development budget rather than marketing budget then SC's current budget really isn't that far off either. Especially if most of the marketing budget comes from their monthly subscription revenue. Interesting.

21. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 12:01 panbient

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 11:21:

Wiki, GTA5 development costs 137 million plus 128 million for marketing.
The more you know... Everyone happy now?

And how much of either piece went to licensing music for all the radio stations?

Seriously though, I've always been curious about it.

As for SC well, rawr rawr rawr, grumble grumble. Another week another wiggle of the carrot, another crumb on the trail.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 20:13 panbient

Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 17:27:
Not sure what reality you guys are living in, but "video games" in the 80s was magical and evolutionary. We're talking TI99 and C64 time, when most people didn't even know what one of those were, let alone any "saturation", and BBs's and 75 baud modems were all the rage...

Talk about rewriting history... none of you must have been around then, hell 90% of those here on blues were likely not even born.

I'm from the 70s. I remember entering code by hand from C64 Type-In books to make my own games on the C64 my neighbors had across the road from where I grew up in the mid-80s. Yes, it was awesome for my lucky poor self who grew up in a house that couldn't afford an Atari never mind a computer. I remember trying to play the tapes we saved those programs on in my cassette player just to see what it would sound like (Autechre comes to mind).

Would you like to make more baseless judgements about me?

If you don't think there was a console crash (which counted for the bulk of the video game industry at the time) then do explain why they became dirt cheap and more or less disappeared from shelves until the NES came along? Sure, fans (usually kids) were happy to scoop up as many crappy Atari or Colecovision cartridges as they could find. I also remember kids getting really excited about collecting pieces of round cardboard when the powers that be started calling them Pogs. Hardly the best judges of quality.

The author tried to pin the crash on piracy rather than quality of product. The market in the late 90s became saturated and the quality offered by new consoles was comparable or outright better. Not unlike the invert of what happened in the 80s only this time the alternative was actually cheaper too. And not unlike what's happening now with indies with so many people deciding they're 'game developers' because they downloaded Unity and made something you can click around in and blaming harassment for the fact that they didn't actually make something noteworthy same as so many other clowns stuffing Steam to the gills.

Being called out for not just making, but asking money for yet another crappy sandbox/zombie/survival/roguelike/relationship-sim/therapy session/art project/whatever might hurt but it's not harassment when it's pointing out the obvious.

553 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo