Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
4. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 11:12 panbient

Oh man I've wanted an open ended Mercenaries style mech campaign since MW2 Mercs way back in the day. Coupled with the gameplay style of the recent Shadowrun games and I'm pretty freaking stoked.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
33. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 15:24 panbient

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 15:12:
With that being said, I'm not convinced removing skills would really be a bad thing. If everything relies on your SPECIAL stats, and leveling provides you with one or a few perk point(s) each ding to progress through an expanded perk tree, all you've really done is remove the arbitrary requirement that you must have hacked 100 easy systems before you can hack medium ones, or used a pistol for 3 hours before you can use a rifle. Why should that matter if I rolled my character to be super intelligent and/or agile from the beginning?

I'll admit I haven't played F3 in years but I don't remember skill grind like that (or did they change it in NV?). Elder Scrolls? For sure. Jump everywhere to get super athletics etc. But from what I remember it was always just allocate more points until you've got a decent success chance in whatever skill. That's not grind just point allocation on level up (based on INT).

Though lock picking / hacking being tied to 25% increments with not even a 1% chance of success unless you had X minimum was lame.

News Comments > StarCraft II Turns Five
13. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 28, 2015, 14:54 panbient

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 13:55:

Couldnt disagree more, and i had a few thousand hours playing multiplayer ladder 1v1, 2v2 in SC1, people who focused on defense fromt he beginning already lost. The game was being dicated to them and controlled the entire way through. You watch any player with a modicum of skill and you will see that defensive play style beyond protecting your own workers was always a losing strategy

Fair enough (I only ever got competitive with the first Red Alert) but the defensive option was removed from even casual play in the sequel. I also seem to recall turtling as a Terran in the early game to focus on Battlecruisers or nukes being somewhat effective in the original (again casual). On the flipside it seemed that just building a bunker in SC2 was a waste of resources outside of the campaign.

Also 100% behind your assessment about SC2 / D3 and how they evolved or didn't.

10. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 28, 2015, 12:51 panbient

InBlack wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 02:23:
SC2 was just more of the same old SC formula, which is actually good. The reason none of us play it anymore or have the stomach for it is because we got burned out on SC1 and Brood War all those years ago, and it's not like we are getting any younger or our APM is getting any faster.

Gotta disagree with you there aside from the APM thing. In the original Starcraft a player who focused entirely on defense could hold their own against a player or AI who focused entirely on offense. There was an actual balance. This was removed with SC2. It simply was not possible to chose a defensive play style. You rushed (first) or you lost - period. I definitely wasn't burnt out from the original when I got the sequel, it's just too different of a MP game.

As for the campaign, it had potential but for the most part it was crap. Here's a specific mission tailored to a specific unit that has no other real value outside of this specific mission. While it's not uncommon to showcase new units in tailored missions when it counts for like 90% of the campaign it's pretty lame.

And the campaign was especially frustrating considering half the new units weren't even available in multiplayer either. The early impression was that players would be able to customize their available unit roster for greater variety in MP, but we all know how that turned out. I won't actually call it a bad game, but I'll never say it was better than the original. Prettier, but not better.

1. Re: StarCraft II Turns Five Jul 27, 2015, 19:27 panbient

Funny.

When Starcraft turned 5 I still played it on a regular basis. If not 3-4 times a week, sometimes alone vs. AI, sometimes with friends. Ahh... Big Game Hunters such a good map.

I bought SC2 at launch. I don't remember the last time I played it and when I did it was tower defense mods. The whole 'if you don't rush you lose' core mechanic really didn't do it for me.

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More
26. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:31 panbient

BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:00:

You must be new
All the videos (10 for the chairman & Around the verse etc) are paid voluntarily from people that subscribe for an extra 10$ or 20$ per month. And all the promotional stuff are from there.

They did this so people will not complain, that they used their money for Promotions video ads etc...

That's like when a person refuses to use their 'fun' money to pay the bills because it's been earmarked for different purposes, then wondering why people are irritated when they choose to keep having fun instead of getting to work to pay down those bills because they're only using the fun money and it's meant for fun, not bills.

Is there any proof the money and resources are being used that way? Aside from them pinkie swearing it totally for really real is? Even with its own separate budget it still seems like an inefficient use of resources.

Especially if they're planning on a big thing at Gamescon. Why not just announce a temporary radio silence for the next month so they could focus? Derek Smart's concerns would have likely been put on hold pending results but instead they made it into a spectacle. It's a great way to keep your name in the press. Not so sure about delivering a product though.

14. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 11:50 panbient

BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:18:
These damage control statements and videos are actually more worrying than the people causing them.

Soon trolls will ask for CIG to stop giving free coffee to the programmers because "it's their money"

All depends on how many other people are dealing with the camera work / video editing that has to happen to produce one of these clips. Then the costs involved with having (likely) high salaried individuals sitting in front of a camera for the perception of 'openness'. You're fooling yourself if you honestly think that clip is being open and isn't carefully structured to reinforce a specific narrative. I understand the community wanted it this way, that's fine, doesn't mean I (and likely many others) will ever think it's an efficient use of resources.

Free coffee for the people who are actually working towards finishing the product? No one in their right mind will ever complain. Spending any amount of resources to make a video about it though? Yeah that's a totally valid complaint.

3. Re: On Shooter Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 10:05 panbient

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 09:51:
“Several years from now, when you are surrounded by your loved ones, and they ask you what did you do during the battle for Space Sims and PC games, you can look them in the eye and say; I helped make Star Citizen.”

Does the man wedgie himself?

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
106. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 19:09 panbient

Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:45:
Actually, they do have oversight. The same kind of oversight in fact.
Microsoft invested $90 Million in Halo MMO before cancelling it.

How does a publisher enforce its position? By not sending more funds unless results are shown.

Exactly the same thing happens with crowdfunding.

The pressure is the same if not higher. Because not only do they have to convince the crowd but they also have to face the public pressure a developer under a publisher deal doesn't suffer.

There's one major difference that you're either forgetting or choosing to ignore in regards to publisher / developer relationships and it can be summed up in one word - contract. As in both sides negotiate while one side plans out a project before the other one agrees to finance it. And generally money gets tied to previously agreed upon milestone deliverables - deliverables, as in something that gets done and delivered. Not just 'working on it', actually 'getting it done'.

Also all that negotiating gets handled before anything starts. The plan is essentially finalized before the first chunk of money is released and the first chunk of money is normally only budgeted to get you to the first major milestone until you get to the last one and finish the product. Crowdfunding is pretty much (exactly) the opposite of that method where the product scope is only defined once the final budget is established and oversight is directly related to how open the developers chose to be.

Convenient that all the people who paid into SC did so as donations, no? Makes it easy for them to address concerns however and whenever they feel like - because they're the ones who decide what oversight to address.

105. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 18:58 panbient

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:18:
What's being developed now far exceeds what was originally promised in scale and fidelity.

So even YOU are acknowledging feature creep?

77. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 16:16 panbient

Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:58:
Is CIG any different from other AAA developers?

Yes. Yes they really are. Mainly because they have the budget but no publisher oversight. And while there's a substantial group of gamers who automatically believe that removing the suits from the equation will result in some kind of gaming utopia we're all seeing the results (or lack thereof).

I can't think of any dissenting comment I've read that didn't think the ideas were cool, or that standard delays would ruin things - what people are concerned with is their ability to realistically deliver what's been advertised.

Could they have made a great single player space opera? Probably (pretty freaking certain to be honest).
Could they have made a great multiplayer combat space shooter? Probably.
Could they have made a great persistent open universe game? Maybe.

Could they make it all and let you be anything all at the same time? Probably not.

47. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 14:00 panbient

Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:17:
You do understand that FPS, as referenced in the context of Star Citizen, is a "mechanic" and not it's genre, right?

Star Citizen is being developed as what amounts to a whole new genre: a First Person Experience

Citing 'first person' as a mechanic within a modern epic space game is like talking about fully 3d modeled characters in an open world game. Seems kind of foolish to specify right?

But not so back in the early 90s, specifying that the action in a game would happen in first person was a big selling point, a major feature. It's also the kind of thing a has-been surrounded by yes-men for the last decade or more would think needs to be specified to the public.

I mean really, did anyone honestly expect to not be flying around space in first person (much in the same way they did back in the day)? There is absolutely no real need for a shooter / on foot component to be attached to the product in order to feature first person perspective and gameplay.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr Revealed
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr Revealed Jul 15, 2015, 18:26 panbient

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 18:18:
So it's like Warhammer 40k Diablo style?

That would be awesome. So probably not. I'm guessing it'll be more like Space Marine in an open world setting.

News Comments > Op Ed
88. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 20:40 panbient

JohnnyRotten wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:20:

See my other post for my take on the crowdsourced private=public argument that DS is trying to make. The term "right" implies a legal (not moral or ethical) construct. So the kickstarter contract and whatever contract CIG offered for donations on their site would be applicable.

That's cool, thanks for the insight. Though I'm sure you can understand why it seems to many that they're taking advantage of both sides as well where they can present themselves as a charity case while operating as a private business.

Then again I suppose that's why there's more talk in regards to more regulations with crowdfunded endeavors.

News Comments > Op Ed
86. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 20:02 panbient

JohnnyRotten wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 19:45:
panbient wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 19:35:
Where he's no longer a backer he's no longer got the right to make the request as a concerned project supporter / investor / donator / sucker / whatever.

That's one of the straw men - no private individual has the inherent legal right to demand the PNL of a private company in and of itself, backer or no. How would you do that? Is there a standard form? Is there a disclosure time limit? A cost for gathering the information? In what form must the PNL disclosure take? At what level of detail? What information could be considered privileged? Must it be certified by board members?

Ludicrous.

Now the issue of his standing in general to file any sort of legal claim based on his now refunded original investment could be an interesting one. Not sure how he could show any kind of harm though.

I'm not disagreeing and I'm no lawyer or even close to a legal expert but doesn't that first situation fall into a bit of a gray area?

Where the language being used is that backers are providing donations doesn't it become kind of like a charity of sorts? Don't individuals have a right and ability to get a basic overview of how the money is being spent prior to making a donation to the United Way or Red Cross or whatever? It's nice to know if the money is mainly going to the needy or just back to more fundraising efforts, most don't care how much a receptionist is getting paid.

Either way I'm not invested, I just wanted an HD remake of Privateer. But I can't help but pay attention to how this plays out and the effect it will have on the industry in one way or another.

News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 19:35 panbient

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:37:
I think this should answer your question.
From forums.robertsspaceindustries.com
Hey guys!

I believe I can clarify this. We refunded Mr. Smart’s package because he was using Star Citizen as a platform to gain attention as part of a campaign to promote his ‘Line of Defense’ space game.

I do now want to stress that that is not to say you can get your money back by simply being as obnoxious as possible; we’re also able to ban accounts from the forums without requiring a refund. But sometimes we take a look at a user and decide that they’re so toxic or their intentions are so sinister that we simply don’t want them associated with Star Citizen.

I can understand their decision to not want an association with competitors / toxic people etc. And while Smart did refer to his own products throughout his articles they seemed more in terms of reinforcing the idea that he knew what he was talking about or at least had relevant experience.

I don't recall seeing any sort of development based concern that I hadn't already contemplated and commented about (aside from the legal stuff), same as plenty of other critical thinking / tech minded gamers. The difference being his voice has clout whether anyone likes it or not. Smart did step up back in the day and swung for far beyond the fences and did so with a twig instead of a baseball bat and a lot of us saw the result (some first hand). But at least he tried and seems to have owned up to the subsequent results. I think it's safe to say not many of us have even given serious contemplation to producing anything of that scope and complexity never mind actually trying. Anyone doing so even right now is quickly coming up with the same (sane) conclusion - nope, nope nope nope nope, NOOOOOooooope!

Having said all that I don't believe for a second this CIG justification for a refund has anything to do with a toxic personality and pretty much everything to do with a not at all subtle legal threat to make basic profit and loss accounting numbers public.

Where he's no longer a backer he's no longer got the right to make the request as a concerned project supporter / investor / donator / sucker / whatever.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 09:58 panbient

This reminds me... did nin get their refund? Or do you have to publish a 20 000 word complaint first?  

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
150. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 11, 2015, 10:23 panbient

bobbyric wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 21:13:

You say "of this scope" as if games like Arkham Knight or GTA or Assassin's Creed are not of the same scope. Sure they don't let you "visit planets" and all that crap, but under the hood those action games are @#!)@! huge, beyond the scope of anything Smart has ever done.

There's a big difference between being able to perform the same set of actions 1000 times over (like your examples) and being able to perform 1000 unique actions once (like the sims being discussed). That's the difference in scope most people are talking about.

Kind of like how there are more steps involved in just getting an airplane off the ground in a DCS title than there are stages in a HAWX game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 7, 2015, 16:36 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 14:17:
VR will be a niche tech, but a successful one. It won't be a flash in the pan, as many naysayers claim, but nor will it be ubiquitous as Zuckerberg opines.

I think it'll be about as successful as 3d tv.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
35. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 12:47 panbient

Zor wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:07:
It's a hard cover book of the entire publication, I believe. It's something they will put out once it's all done. I think they took pre-orders for it awhile back to gauge interest?

Ok that's actually pretty cool as a retrospective kind of thing. But at the same time considering everything else they've tried to do I wouldn't have been that surprised had they tried to revive monthly print media hahaha

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo