Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 579 (Apprentice)
User ID 56226
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 8, 2015, 19:58 panbient
Well... if anyone ever wanted an HD remake of an old school message board flame war these last few weeks are pretty much as good as it's going to get.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
18. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 13:06 panbient
siapnar wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 12:15:
Meanwhile the actual developers of the game get peanuts in comparison

If anyone involved in the game industry deserves some form of protection it's the actual developers.

That's not to say the voice actors concerns aren't legitimate. But it's like getting insurance for the paint job instead of the actual car.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2015, 20:35 panbient
Julio wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 17:59:
I won't be downloading the free copy of Broken Age just on principle. Too bad PS+ isn't getting good games vs garbage like that.

I've actually let my subscription lapse and have no intention of renewing again until they start increasing the quality. Also not a big fan of the variable time limit on some of the higher profile games either.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2015, 16:25 panbient
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 15:52:
weirdly, most reviews make no mention of this omission

It's really not that weird if you think about it.

(hint: $$$$$)

Or that Harmonix has been quite open about the fact that it wouldn't be an option at launch and at this point the reviewers see it as a non-issue. I think it's a safe bet that most early adopters of RB4 have played one of the earlier titles and have informed themselves. The 4 biggest points that were made about it early on were
- DLC carry over
- 'platform' longevity
- No Pro-Instruments / keyboards
- No Online play

I understand it affects some people, it affects me too, but they obviously see the server traffic - if it was that popular would I really have kept running into the same players on a semi-regular basis? I think it's a case where the people who played online used it a lot, but not many actually did. They also seem to be pushing the core experience this time around as a more social / in-person party game where online play isn't essential.

They've also made it clear that online play is not off the table and could likely return in the future. That might be why the reviews are just dealing with the actual current functionality and not commenting on unresolved features.

The real question is will the initial launch provide enough success to justify continued development of the 'platform'.

Also poking around their forums today it seems that there's some unofficial functionality on the PS4 for the Midi-Pro-Adapter for drummers. I also saw a clip of someone using an RB3 keyboard through a bunch of other wi-fi controllers to get some drum functionality but no actual keyboard gameplay. While the catalog for keys based music is limited (and likely never being fully ported) it might make for an alternative controller for guitar / bass at some point down the road.
News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
25. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 2, 2015, 23:41 panbient
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 23:34:
panbient wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 23:24:
Quboid wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 23:18:

Who's General Custard anyway?

He's obviously Colonel Mustard's brother.
The Swedish Chef had something to do with it.

Well yeah... their MOM!
News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
22. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 2, 2015, 23:24 panbient
Quboid wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 23:18:

Who's General Custard anyway?

He's obviously Colonel Mustard's brother.
News Comments > Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up
31. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 13:43 panbient
NewMaxx wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 13:04:

I cannot agree more and have experienced similar situations. It's not specific to programmers though, it's anyone working in development (artists, designers, QA / testers, etc). The only people who never have to stay in the office after 5 are executives, but they'll tell you they're permanently connected (because they can't actually let go of their phones).

Having said that I'm not sure if unionizing is necessarily the best solution. I could see that harming the smaller independent segment of the industry quite a bit. In my experience proper HR that didn't have to answer to the company owner would go a long way in addressing a lot of the issues. Though I suppose there's not much difference in a 3rd party regulatory agency and a union.

Also actual design planning. Oh my god. Documentation (before development begins) and Documenting (as development is happening) are not the same thing! Dismissing a spreadsheet packed with organizable data because it's not as visually appealing as a gliffy image of a monstrous spiderweb does not make for more effective development!

And anyone who actually plans for crunch time as part of development is doing it wrong! That's not to say it won't happen, even with a perfect plan something will go sideways eventually but if you've already earmarked a few weeks as 'crunch' then your plan is already flawed from the onset.
News Comments > Burnout "Spiritual Successor" Revealed
5. Re: Burnout Oct 2, 2015, 11:16 panbient
I am SO happy they're talking about parts 2,3, or 4 and not Paradise.

I played all 3 of those a ridiculous amount, Paradise just never cut it for me. Frankly I'm not a fan of open world racing games, especially for Burnout. It just never felt right to me.

Having to chose between a successor between parts 3 and 4 is just a brutal thought exercise.
News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
25. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 09:52 panbient
I'm starting to think this is the most elaborate 'augmented reality' game ever. The whole point seems to be to keep the ball spinning, not to ever release a wheel. The people who pay get to keep being part of something bigger and better than the observers on the sidelines. Would it still be arguably fraudulent if they started calling it an AR game?

I also agree with Harlock's assessment that a lot of us are too close to the mark. One of my best friends is an old school gamer who still works in the industry (not AAA), calls Star Control 2 his ultimate game ever, loves space, and any sort of game (board, card, etc), and had no idea of SC even existing until I brought it up earlier this summer. There are just so many other entertainment options out there.
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 28, 2015, 14:30 panbient
Devinoch wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 13:44:
It actually really really is. If you've ever played with someone on the peak level of difficulty, they sometimes had trouble playing with less skilled people because the scroll wasn't individualized, and they couldn't get the tempo to match what they needed to be playing. I played at hard for most of my tenure in the game, but we had two guys who braved Expert now and then, and they absolutely needed the faster scroll when we were playing hard stuff and had a rookie on drums or bass.

I guess it depends on the person because for myself, as someone who played on expert for the entirety of RB3 I never actually noticed. You still had the same amount of notes coming at you.

Maybe it's because I played drums and you still end up beat matching the song? Or was it somehow a non-issue with online play?
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 28, 2015, 10:33 panbient
nin wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 10:02:
Rock Band 4's First Major Update Detailed, Here's What It Adds.

Even better!!! Variable scroll speed!

Somehow that's apparently a higher demand than something like online play.

As much as I liked the previous iterations on the game it just seems that the closer RB4 gets to launch the lamer it seems. I don't want to hate on Harmonix but I can't really hide my disappointment either. I really hope the casual market buys into it because otherwise I think the franchise is toast.

As for keyboards I understand your disappointment, but would indirect support cut it (as in using the keyboard as a controller for guitar or bass parts)? I could see that possibly happening if they ever support the midi pro adapter but not going back to authoring an extra specific instrument, especially when the bulk of the content is guitar-centric.
News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
16. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 11:20 panbient
Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 01:10:
When I see words like "streamlined" and "consistent with industry practice" these sound like nomenclature euphemisms.

Those seem like pretty legit practices when you're trying to maximize the efficiency of multiple locations. It makes sense that once you bring in a new leader they're going to see different priorities. Especially in a situation that seemed to have grown so quickly during its early days.

Eventually there needs to be people involved near the top that put development as a higher priority than playing along with the community. While public engagement is a nice endeavor, it's not at all efficient development. Once that shift near the top happens it makes all sorts of sense to see reorganization and elimination of redundancies.

No offense to anyone involved or to anyone who recently lost their job but a community manager doesn't really add to the actual development of the product.

As for changing TOS well... yeah that happens. Here's Adobe's section about exactly that -

1.5 Additional Terms. Some Services or Software are also subject to the additional terms below (the “Additional Terms”). Any content that we provide to you (such as Software, SDK, samples, etc.) are licensed, not sold, to you, and may be subject to Additional Terms. New Additional Terms may be added from time to time.
News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
30. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 13:14 panbient
Bosanac wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 12:42:
Have you not seen this letter where Derek got owned to hell and back due to his bullshit attempt to gather press for another of his failed projects by dissing on SC?

Seriously, you people are beyond idiots if you think of derek smart in any kind of positive way.

Funny I just posted about this letter on another site right now. I'll just go ahead and repeat -

Why would their own lawyer spend the better part of 3 pages complaining about Derek Smart's character rather than simply and directly addressing the 3 points within the initial communication?

Both sides are loving the free press.
News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
50. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 21:18 panbient
Kosumo wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 18:02:
To turn this round, should publishers get a cut of the money that some actors make from attending 'cons' and paid for signings?

Why would they? It's a mutually beneficial experience for both sides. Both the actor and product get exposure with the actor having the bonus opportunity to establish further industry contacts and potential work.

While the royalty thing is definitely contentious I don't see an issue with a group of marginalized employees / contractors negotiating a better deal and they'll definitely get a better deal through a union or some other form of collective bargaining than they will individually.

They're also pretty clear in their statement that they're only looking for residuals once a product sells more than 2 million copies. For the most part that only affects the bigger players in the industry who, I think, can afford to pay more than the minimum (EA / Ubi / Acti-Blizz etc.)

Maybe this should be a wake up call to the industry as a whole that the traditional - if you don't like it we can replace you like that *snaps fingers* - response is bullshit (even if naive kids fresh out of school are still willing to be exploited so they can tell their friends they work in the gaAAaaamess industry).

Who knows, maybe both sides will manage to reach a reasonable compromise.
News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
9. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 10:30 panbient
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 09:59:
I will never understand why "artists" feel they're entitled to work once and get paid forever because of it. The world would grind to a halt if everyone worked the same way. These guys are already vastly overpaid for what they do and it's still not enough. Oh well, when they're replaced with non-union actors, or better still, software, they'll regret their unmitigated selfishness.

If you create something and you get a cut of the profit and people keep buying it for decades should you not continue to profit?

They're also mainly looking at AAA Ubi / EA etc blockbusters as the titles that should offer residuals (after 2 million sales). It's a pretty safe assumption that a title that sells like that is going to have professional voice actors.
News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 22:26 panbient
Kosumo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:56:
And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

What? Please please please explain to me how to make those claims on my next tax assessment. That would be freaking awesome... so long as it's not tax evasion or some kind of fraud. Kind of like how some people kind of blur that line by claiming their personal vehicle is a mandatory corporate expense or something.

Because the idea that somehow spending more money reduces the tax you pay on your income doesn't really make sense to my poor mind (since your amount of income doesn't change whether you save it or spend it). Generally speaking there are limits to the amount of charitable contributions etc that can be claimed as taxable deductions.
News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 20:26 panbient
Task wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:55:
Citation please.

For which part? The space game angle where most major publishers don't seem to want to touch the genre? I suppose 'kill the genre' is a bit extreme but at the same time if this fails it's going to hurt it a lot (and it's not exactly thriving compared to other gaming genres).

Or do you mean the pay to win? Because that thing is firmly rooted in mobile gaming and absolutely not going away anytime soon. And so long as it's profitable on one side people will try making it work on the other.
News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 19:40 panbient
Julio wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:17:
Looking forward to RSI crashing and burning. Too bad for the space sim genre, but at least this might put an end to this kind of pay-to-win gaming.

As already stated it'll kill the space sim genre (which sucks for all of us who really just wanted a HD Privateer / Freespace / Freelancer style game).

But an end to pay to win gaming? Not even close. At all.
News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
11. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 19, 2015, 12:25 panbient
This news reminds me that I still haven't figured out how to take off with my A-10  
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: AVG Sep 18, 2015, 15:45 panbient
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:34:
If anyone is still using AVG (and I can't fathom why, as it's terrible bloatware), get rid of it QUICK.

What do you recommend as an alternative?
579 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo