Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 354 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:43 panbient

Funny how in my last development job in the game industry the regular harassment actually came FROM the top ranked woman on the staff.

Yes I realize that's anecdotal and yes I realize there's a much bigger problem in the industry. But the harassment can definitely cut both ways.

Wait... holy shit... one of the sections in this 'article' is basing itself on youtube comments to draw a conclusion of a problem in the gaming industry. Youtube comments... hahahahahahahahahaha what the shit hahahahahahaha

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All
5. Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All Jul 23, 2014, 18:28 panbient

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 18:03:
Kythlyn wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 17:57:
This is EA... right?

Yeah, this is actually a nice gesture.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
24. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 19:19 panbient

ASeven wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 16:13:
They just posted a new update apologizing for their last update. Holy shit this is getting better and better.

It makes me wonder what kind of letter the Forbes lawyers sent them this morning.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
17. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 21, 2014, 18:50 panbient

Julio wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 05:49:
Wonder if the 35k two week artist is related to anyone that ran the kickstarter...

Doubt it. Non-competition clauses are pretty much standard in contracts with any sort of creative industry. Winterkewl apparently didn't think they needed it, this is exactly why. Their best (likely) talent got scooped by a bigger player who knew how to play the game. Had anyone running Winterkewl ever even seen a professional contract before?

Something else that isn't really clear. Did the artist only start working on the project after getting paid? Or had they been working on it on the side for weeks / months leading up to the KS funding? It doesn't completely justify their actions but is still something to consider.

And that whole $35k lump sum. Just... WTF? There's a reason most people aren't paid in lump sums like that, and it's taxes. As in, most people don't know how much of that to save for the end of the fiscal year, and you WILL get dinged hard. To the tune of multiple thousands of dollars, generally speaking the rule is save a third (or even half) for taxes, so like $12-17 000.

It's like they said, it was inexperience (and idealism) on the part of the manager that resulted in messed up situations.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 21, 2014, 18:29 panbient

LittleMe wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:06:
Yes.

Well to me it isn't about privacy. It's a human rights issue as well as the illegality and unaccountability of what they've done. Not only the vast amount of other people's money they've spent, but that their infrastructure is exactly what tyrants to use to brutally oppress innocent people. We should not tolerate their actions. They should be exposed to the light of scrutiny and criticism.

Do you mean the government or Snowden? It seems to me both are sitting on the private and personal information of the population to promote their own agenda and to further their own personal goals.

If all he really cared about was exposing the truth and destroying the system he would have just made everything public. But no, it's another Robin Hood shenanigan like Assange. They're manipulating the release of their information to better the chances of becoming the new version of what they purport to hate.

I don't get the impression Snowden hates the NSA so much as he's upset that he's not more influential within it. If you want to blow the whistle, grab onto it and blow until you can't breathe anymore. Instead all they seem to be doing is licking the tip for attention.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Bringing Prodigy Back From The Dead Jul 20, 2014, 17:32 panbient

djinn wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 13:53:
With magic people, voodoo people?

I was hoping it would be about that fire starter, that twisted fire starter, yeaaaahhh.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 20, 2014, 17:28 panbient

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:46:
Scam. He's lying. Who the hell just gives someone 35 grand without any sort of specific contract?

An idiot idealist who was likely raised with the 'if you really truly believe in yourself you can do anything' mantra firmly planted in their head. He even acknowledges his inexperience in the excuse.

Then there's the fact that they didn't even have a main programmer hired prior to starting development (because having someone plan out the functionality and implementation of the technical systems -isn't- fundamental?).

It's what you get when you lead a business project with 'the feels' instead of calculated thoughts.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 19, 2014, 19:12 panbient

I wonder more about why Snowden and his team are so hung up on this drip drop method of releasing information and trying to keep his name in the press.

Like that whole 'they look at nudie pics in the office' release from last week. To my ears that sounds like scraping the bottom of the barrel. By keeping his name in the press for these kind of 'reveals' makes him seem like the conspiracy equivalent to a Kardashian.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 19, 2014, 19:07 panbient

I think it's interesting that Harmonix's priority section at the end of that survey starts with DLC and Legacy releases before current-gen. Might Rock Band 4 be a digital only release?

Heck I bought $20 worth of more DLC last night just for giggles.

News Comments > The International Tourney on TV
5. Re: The International Tourney on TV Jul 17, 2014, 18:46 panbient

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 18:01:
Why would a prize pool have anything to do with ESPN picking it up?

Because they're not interested in existing esport viewers. Those people and the MOBA fans will already be watching. Where this is also mostly on ESPNs online service the 'cut the cord' (cable tv) market is pretty much irrelevant.

What's going to get the attention of the random person visiting the ESPN3 site over the weekend? A blurb about a video game tournament or a blurb about a video game tournament worth $10 000 000+?

What about all the semi-casual / 2-3 franchise only players out there? The ones who only play the newest version of a sports franchise like Madden or MLB, NHL etc. They're still gamers, they still have an interest in gaming to an extent, but likely don't follow or keep aware of what MOBAs are really about. Those sports centric gamers are likely to be quite familiar with ESPN already, so the potential for crossover increases.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 18:36 panbient

Axis wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 13:24:
In my world DLC never had a "way" or "promise" to begin with. Horse armor was a load of horse shit right off the wagon... but content starved consilites bought it anyway.

Here's where your anti-console bias proves flawed.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Both console games. Both with thousands of dollars of potential DLC available for the market. All of it worthwhile.

No one 'had' to buy extra songs, but, for between $0.99 and $1.99 per track you could increase your potential game from 60-80 songs to well over 1000. DLC kept a simple game that should have faded into karaoke novelty going for years, with enough variety to satisfy pretty much anyone who wasn't just looking to be pissed off at the world.

Funny how both the console sides of Activision and EA were the ones behind that great DLC situation starting not too long after that whole Horse Armor shenanigan.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 10, 2014, 20:05 panbient

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 18:54:
I've actually kinda missed rock band, ever so slightly...

I've only recently stopped playing it on a weekly basis. But I also invested in a real e-drum kit for it as well (plus hundreds of DLC tracks). Pro mode was a great addition, but the extra pieces necessary were hard to find (or online only) then the fact that ALL players needed to have pro versions of DLC tracks (which cost an extra $1) made it problematic for online play.

I still hope they manage to pull some kind of deal to carry over old tracks into a new product but I doubt it.

Also pretty sure those comments originated at like PAX or something. I know I've read them before.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2014, 18:51 panbient

The insecurity that presents itself following these type of articles is amazing. And it blows my mind that a lot of them are made by technically functional adults.

These people do realize cooties aren't real right?

RIGHT?

Time for a music analogy.

A metalhead doesn't need to like pop music. But a metalhead who wants to talk about music as a whole cannot ignore pop music if he wants to be taken seriously while discussing the industry as a whole.

News Comments > Star Citizen Monthly Report
18. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 17:33 panbient

McTurbo wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 16:32:
For one of the few times ever players are in the heart of the development cycle of a game. a game being developed by the maker/studio and funded by the players not a publishing house that demands more than their share of profits or demands that you get the game out before its finished.

It's a really nice idea. But in the back of my mind this is the only thing I really expect as a final result - The Homer

I mean, really, it has everything as made by an everyman without the influence of the evil suits!

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: Gay games Jul 1, 2014, 17:28 panbient

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 14:38:
If Doom mentioned in the .txt that Doom Guy was gay, or if Gordon had a poster of John Stamos in his locker, the games probably wouldn't have sold as well.

Bullshit. Had they addressed the homosexuality as you describe it - as a passive detail about the character, as opposed to making it a focal point a la Bioware, I doubt many would have even noticed.

Would HL have really been less of a game if Gordon had that poster in the initial prep area? Absolutely not, it would have been a detail texture in the background of a scene. Had Valve made sure to brow beat the audience into recognizing the homosexuality (again like Bioware does), then... yeah the game would have had to change so they could shoe-horn some event to showcase it.

News Comments > Summer Sales Ending
51. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 19:30 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:45:
Friends don't let friends read Quinn! Or Axis!

Thanks for the heads up hahaha

Also for your 3DS comment from earlier. I strongly recommend the last Zelda game, especially if you liked it on the SNES back in the day. Fire Emblem is freaking awesome too. And if you like old school grindy RPGs the Etrian Odyssey series is ace (AND you get to draw the maps on the touch screen )

48. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 18:19 panbient

Quinn wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 09:41:
panbient wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 03:40:
Slightly nicer graphics have never made a game better, just prettier.

Wrong. Just wrong. It does make a game better because prettier graphics are better for immersion, which still is the #1 reason I play games.

So why does your personal preference make my opinion invalid or somehow incorrect? You play games for 'immersion', fine, I play them for distraction.

Would you tell people who prefer music based on the interplay between the instruments that they're 'wrong. just wrong' because you prefer latching onto the vocal hook?

36. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 03:40 panbient

The only games I paid for during these sales were The Witcher Enhanced Edition and Port Royale 2. Both paid for entirely with trading cards and TF2 drops.

As for the whole 'what PCs do better' shenanigan going on. From my perspective, especially back in the day, what set the PC apart was its ability to run simulations and more complex game systems. Graphics and story have always been subjective and it seems to me that story in games really got its start as a feature with 8-bit RPGs like the original Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star, then really came into their own during the SNES era when the whole point of the games was pretty much to tell a story.

Even now what really sets the PC apart in my eyes are things like the DCS series or the high end racing sims. Those are the type of games that ONLY the PC can handle properly. Not because of what they look like or what stories they tell but because of the complexity of the systems operating just below the surface.

Slightly nicer graphics have never made a game better, just prettier.

News Comments > Dawn of War Swaps GameSpy for Steam
6. Re: Dawn of War Swaps Steam for GameSpy Jun 27, 2014, 10:39 panbient

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 09:33:
I enjoyed the hell out of DOW2 too (when it worked).

Just noticed that they posted something about a beta release on the community page for DOW2 last night. Might be worth looking into.

I'm just wondering if they'll ever fix the Retribution achievements. Kind of annoying to play through the campaign (and its foolishly long final battle) only to find out Steam lost connection at some point during the entire process and you'll never get the achievement.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Why game discovery is vital introducing Games We Care About Jun 25, 2014, 15:29 panbient

NamecaF wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 03:24:
It's honestly like looking for a needle in an ocean of pure excrement.

And the exact same thing can be said about every single other facet of the entertainment industry as the ability (and technology) to create became commonplace for the masses. Books, Radio, TV, Music, Film, it all 'went to shit' once creating within the medium became available to the masses.

Except, it didn't. Finding a hidden needle is not something you do by looking, it's something you do by feeling. But you need to be willing to immerse yourself in the poo to get the gold.

Note that you haven't actually said what you liked. Only what you don't. Maybe that's why you (implied) have such a hard time finding something 'good'.

354 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo