Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for panbient

Real Name panbient   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname panbient
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description old school cranky pants gamer guy
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 18, 2011, 00:28
Total Comments 417 (Amateur)
User ID 56226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
134. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 21:57 panbient

Timmeh wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 19:33:
You guys are fucked in the head. Sorry but you are.

This past summer, some dude in my town got an assault rifle and a shotgun and walked through a suburban neighborhood allegedly shouting 'Bring me the cops!'

When the cops showed up he killed 3 of them and wounded two others before running away into the woods (he was caught the following evening).

He was also home schooled in a 'good and proper' Christian environment for the first 22 years of his life. Cause and effect right?

Who's to say who is really going to end up fucked in the head?

Certainly not me. Though you're free to keep on your self-righteous crusade as if it matters (it doesn't).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month
7. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 20:53 panbient

tskiller wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:44:
Umm, why do they need another kickstarter? Didn't they make any money from the first game?

But did they make enough money to cover the initial cost of developing the first game AND enough to make Dragonfall AND to make a whole other one?

Probably not.

Plus this allows fans to purchase at the level they want. I always did regret not investing in the initial game to force them to make Dr. Dave's Discount Doc-Wagon NPC (the discount only applies if you name your main character Dave).

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Suspended
26. Re: Steam Holiday Auction Suspended Dec 12, 2014, 17:22 panbient

BobBob wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:59:
It's like going to a dollar store to stock up on products just for the sake of buying them because 'they're only a dollar'. Better to save the money (or invest it) and get one or two quality games that will have a mental or emotional impact on your life.

Quality is all relative. I just picked up both System Shock 2 and Wizardy 8 for just over $1 each. While I've never played a Wizardy before I do know for a fact that SS2 had a massive mental and emotional impact on my life.

The first time I made it to the endgame area of SS2 (after I stopped freaking out in my chair) I got up and literally ran through my dorm trying to find anyone else who'd played the original to share in what I was seeing.

No one else had played it

News Comments > Borderlands: Remastered Edition Rating Spied
3. Re: Borderlands: Remastered Edition Rating Spied Dec 12, 2014, 14:41 panbient

That's fair. I suppose different strokes and all, I did enjoy the new characters quite a bit. I guess I just preferred the original.

And no I haven't tried the Pre-Sequel yet, I kind of burnt out on BL after part 2, never even finished half the DLC. It was super lame that it capped itself so far below where you character ended up after completing the main story that they felt like a worthless grind. And the 2nd playthrough scaled up so much that the initial run to Sanctuary was damn near impossible. Maybe it got addressed in a patch, but I haven't fired up the game in a long time.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 09:58 panbient

Pigeon wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 09:34:
I would have more respect for this article if the Author just said, 'hey maybe we shouldn't be glorifying violence to this extent, because X,Y and Z'.

I would have more respect for it if the author admitted to feeling guilty after choosing to attack prostitutes in game only because the possibility existed and he chose to act upon it.

This article says far more about the author than it does about the game and its developers.

News Comments > FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game
3. Re: FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game Dec 12, 2014, 09:42 panbient

Looks like they're trying to mimic the Star Wars X-Wing mini / table top game. Only they're not Fantasy Flight and are charging more for their core game (though it seems you'd get 1 extra ship to start).  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 09:31 panbient

InBlack wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 09:22:
First it was the music industry and channeling Satan through hard rock and heavy metal, now its this shit....

Just wait until they figure out how to play video games in reverse!

News Comments > Borderlands: Remastered Edition Rating Spied
1. Re: Borderlands: Remastered Edition Rating Spied Dec 12, 2014, 09:30 panbient

I'm far more interested in this than pretty much anything since the announcement of BL2.

Not that the gameplay of BL2 was bad, but the whole 'getting the band back together' story elements were painful even on the first playthrough.

Everything Brick and Mordecai said was just awful.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Underway; Holiday Sale Next Week
3. Re: Steam Holiday Auction  Underway; Holiday Sale Next Week Dec 11, 2014, 21:41 panbient

Funny.

I had just dumped pretty much all of my trading cards onto the market during the last sale and managed to bring my balance up from $1 to just over $4 (helps that I got a $0.90 Name Tag in TF2 the other night). It's a reflection of how much credit I've accumulated by 'selling' stuff that I got for free from games I'd still normally play.

Suffice it to say, I've since pulled my remaining trading cards from the marketplace... until the demand starts spiking. I'm thinking I'll post them again on Saturday night

I'm hoping to hit $7 by the time this event is done hahaha

News Comments > Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile
11. Re: Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile Dec 5, 2014, 11:16 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 10:43:
Quite so But maybe they saw the success of PoE and figure they could do either of these 3? Unlike PoE there is still room for more rpg's with the new DnD ruleset (exactly zero games use 4.0)

That's totally fair. It's a great time for old-school RPGs

I just can't think of another one that was as off the wall and unique as Anachronox. That cast of characters was incredible. Even the cursor had a justified existence within the game world.

7. Re: Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile Dec 5, 2014, 10:38 panbient

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 10:19:

Others, far better RPG's come to mind

Bard's Tale
Baldurs Gate
Icewind Dale

Aren't those the whole point behind Pillars of Eternity?

Plus BG was recently redone and ID has been announced for the same treatment.

2. Re: Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile Dec 5, 2014, 10:09 panbient

Please be HD Anachronox with the rest of the story.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
22. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 4, 2014, 08:15 panbient

InBlack wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 04:15:
Or are you one of those guys who goes, well fuck it she wore that short skirt the dirty whore had it coming to her....

There's a time and place for everything. Short skirts and titty shirts = club, not office, or at least not in an office where you expect to be treated and seen as a professional. No, it doesn't have to be some puritan outfit or a ultra modest suit. But seriously, I've seen strippers on cam sites charge money to get their shirts open that much. Really though, could she have chosen a tighter shirt?

I understand you want to defend the idea of personal expression free from judgement but it's impossible for that shirt to button above her breasts. Maybe you should actually LOOK at the ACTIONS instead of just reading about them, it'll save you 1000 words after all.

Situations like this will always remind me of an old manager. HE was against a dress code for the management level of the call center. HE wanted to be able to keep coming into work with Ugg boots and khakis and a giant t-shirt like all the cool hip-hop dudes. HE kept dropping lines about 'doing it / getting it done like a baws' but couldn't understand why no one took him seriously as a boss. He looked and acted like every entry level person tethered to a phone but expected special recognition on sight. I'm certain swapping out the oversized t-shirts for some button up shirts (and not even tucking them in) would have resulted in substantially more recognition. But no.... the ideal should never be compromised.

Non-verbal communication through wardrobe goes a long way, especially in the workplace. I was his subordinate and had to explain this to him - it was futile. He kept doing what he wanted and ignored what needed to happen to get the results he felt he deserved.

Like a brat.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 15:36 panbient

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:22:
Hahahahaha it will still be the same hooks and yaughts I predicted last year.

Dude... spell it with me - Y-A-C-H-T - yacht. For someone who keeps using the word you should really learn how to spell it correctly once and for all.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 13:20 panbient

I'm reminded of this quote from Civilization 4:

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

Only it's about fund raising in this case.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $65M
47. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Dec 1, 2014, 15:45 panbient

nin wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 08:57:
panbient wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 08:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 20:28:
- The Javelin destroyer sale at $2500 per ship.

Suddenly I really don't feel so bad about having spent the same amount of money on a drum kit to use in Rock Band 3. Plus I can still use it outside of the game too.

A hobbys a hobby. How much is a new set of golf clubs? Or a rifle for hunting? We gamers are no worse than anyone else.

That's fair and all but the big difference being you can do something else with those hobby items. I could disconnect my drums from my ps3 and take them into a jam room, or studio, or even onto a stage if I wanted to. I know people who spent $2-3000 on making custom rigs for racing games including an actual bucket seat from a sports car. They use it mainly for Gran Turismo (and on a 10-12 foot projection screen it's freaking INTENSE) but it can still be used for any other driving game on their console.

Those golf clubs can be used on any course, or to fight gophers in any backyard, or for home defense. That rifle can be used to hunt, target practice, skeet shooting, overthrowing a totalitarian government, whatever.

These $2500 spaceships can only be used in Star Citizen. It's an extra piece to a product that still only exists in bits and pieces - and that's it. They can't twist it into anything else. And like InBlack said, that's pretty fucked up, especially the fact that they sell out in seconds. I understand that it's other people's money, I understand they have the right to spend it how they like. Hell, I even understand Pay2Win, but there's not even a game to win yet.

So yeah, I just can't wrap my head around the behavior.

I fear the eventual (and inevitable) backlash.

As for the console game thing, I remember paying over $100 (Canadian) for Final Fantasy 3 when it came out on SNES, and pretty sure Doom64 ran for like $129 when it released.

34. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Dec 1, 2014, 08:13 panbient

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 20:28:
- The Javelin destroyer sale at $2500 per ship.

Suddenly I really don't feel so bad about having spent the same amount of money on a drum kit to use in Rock Band 3. Plus I can still use it outside of the game too.

On a similar note, has anyone ever looked at the possibility of releasing Lego kits based on these SC ships? At least that way you'd have something physically tangible for the money you've spent. And I'm willing to bet there would be huge crossover appeal.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Demo
6. Re: Defense Grid 2 Demo Dec 1, 2014, 08:02 panbient

Slashman wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 23:12:
I don't understand the decision to remove flying creatures. That was a head scratcher.

Personally I hated them and I'm glad to hear they're gone. For the most part it just forced the player to add a single fully upgraded Missile tower to the mix, maybe 2 on the last maps. There was no depth or strategy involved.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Demo
2. Re: Defense Grid 2 Demo Nov 30, 2014, 17:14 panbient

Overon wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 14:57:
I hate the mouse controls move the entire screen instead of moving the cursor, was this done for consoles or something? The graphics are low resolution. I gave it an honest shot. The best part of it is the AI banter.

That's how the original plays. And yes, it's also available on the xbox.

Does the AI talk about raspberries again?

6. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Nov 30, 2014, 14:08 panbient

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 13:57:

But.. They've introduced pets!!! Get excited and donate more!

The real question is can I keep a human as a pet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H833o5lnB2E

417 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo