Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NoBS

Real Name NoBS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 10, 2011, 01:40
Total Comments 39 (Suspect)
User ID 56214

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"
30. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 17:19 NoBS

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 17:00:
DON'T BUY anything ON ORIGIN
As I pointed out below, that won't solve the problem as this agreement applies to more than just the EA store/Origin. It applies to any game regardless of where you purchased it which uses EA online services or uses an EA account including console games.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 17:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 17:03 NoBS

Dev wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 16:44:
The account "may" be deleted, but the stuff in it WILL get deleted. In other words, they will leave you your account login so you can repurchase stuff that they deleted for inactivity.
No. You misunderstand what "entitlements" are. Entitlements are NOT game content according to the agreement. "Content" is the game software and media files. "Entitlements" are licensed rights granted, awarded, provided and/or purchased by you to access and/or use online or off-line elements or features of EA Services and/or products.

Yeah but nowhere in the content section does it say you pay for any of it.
That is because some of the "content" is user-generated content (UGC) which is free. That section covers both and whether the user paid for the content is irrelevant to the definition of content in the agreement.

Again, its clear that entitlements is licenses you purchase, and content is every single other thing in existence on origin.
It should be clear that entitlements are usage rights to certain features of EA games not the complete content of a game. However the agreement is deliberately nebulous so that EA could bend it to its favor in applying it when needed.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 17:24.

23. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 16:40 NoBS

Dev wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 16:20:
If you actually read the agreement, content is more stuff that isn't licensed, but where EA wants to claim copyright to.
I did read the agreement. "Content" includes the actual game software and media from EA. "Entitlements" are just usage rights to certain features or elements. User generated content (UGC) is not the only "content" in the agreement. Whether the removal of "entitlements" for inactivity affects the usage of the core game content is debatable especially given that "your Account may be cancelled for non-use" but not definitely.

15. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 16:18 NoBS

Krovven wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 16:08:
Doesn't Steam EULA and pretty much everyones EULA basically state the same thing? That you could lose everything at any time for no reason?
Yes. The only real difference between EA's agreement and others like Steam's is that EA's is more specific in defining what triggers that termination. Inactivity is a new one although if you actually read the agreement, that clause only applies to "entitlements" and not "content" as "content" is noticeably absent in that particular term but present before and after in the same section.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 16:24.

11. This is not just about Origin. Aug 3, 2011, 16:11 NoBS

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 15:35:
I will never spend a goddamned DIME on that shitty ass store.
That agreement applies to more than just the EA store/Origin. It applies to any game which uses EA online services or uses an EA account. So, even if you buy your game from Amazon, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate, or Steam, you are still subject to that agreement in addition to those other services terms of use such as the Steam Subscriber Agreement. Even XBOX and Playstation games from EA are included as you can see from the reference to the XBL and PSN terms of service.

The title of this article is therefore misleading. It's not just about Origin nor does the referenced part of the agreement only apply to Origin accounts. This agreement is a catch-all that applies to every EA game which uses EA's online service. See "These Terms of Service and all supplemental terms...govern your use of any online or mobile product or service to which you have access ("EA Services") offered by Electronic Arts...for PC, game system or mobile device." So, the only way not to be subject to it is to not purchase or use any of EA's games which have online features.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 16:29.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: EA Origin Sale Jul 30, 2011, 09:23 NoBS

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 07:05:
BF2142 isn't in the list for everyone
The EA sale I posted is only valid in the U.S. and Canada according to the fine print which isn't really much of a surprise given that the dollar sign ($4.99) is in the description of the sale in big letters at that URL.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2011, 09:31.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 30, 2011, 03:43 NoBS

Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 23:55:
This is a hardware sale more than a software sale but EVGA will be selling the GTX460 for $89 tomorrow. http://www.evga.com/deals
That link now redirects to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130573&Tpk=01G-P3-1452-TR which is a GTS 450 not a 460. The $89.99 price is also after a rebate card so the price is $109.99 at purchase with free shipping.

That's not a bad deal on a 450 Fermi card especially given that its heavily overclocked out of the box, but it's not a great deal. The 450 prices will drop even more once the 550's ramp up to replace them since the 550 is basically a 450 with a sizably faster clock.

News Comments > On Sale
3. EA Origin Sale Jul 29, 2011, 23:51 NoBS

The EA store Origin is having a sale on a bunch of older EA games for $5 through Sunday.

See http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbpage.summersale?sourceid=origin1103

BF2142 is in the list, and I don't think you can get it for download anywhere else.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2011, 03:38.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:23 NoBS

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 16:17:
Yup, Valve is just dying to sell this to your neighbor, your mother in law, the IRS agent working your account and your fairy godmother.
What Valve may or may not want to do with this information is irrelevant. The fact is that once the information is gathered and stored, it can be disseminated or put to all sorts of uses whether intended or not. Just ask Sony or Epsilon about that.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 16:29.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:12 NoBS

The negative opinions about older men and video games expressed on that television program are unfortunately quite common especially among older adults and women. That demographic includes many people in positions of power such as court judges and business executives. Of course sensational news stories such as this one certainly add fuel to the notion that men in their thirties, fourties, and older who play video games are twisted or nefarious deviants who are just waiting to go on a killing spree or molest a child.

That is exactly why I don't want my video game playing habits tracked and stored by services such as Steam. Having someone find out that I have spent tens of thousands of hours playing video games in which the player wantonly kills, robs, and dismembers is not something which would be well received by many especially in a divorce or child custody case or at a job interview. Yet that information from Steam and its ilk is just a subpoena or a hacker attack away. In some cases that information can even be viewed by anyone. See http://steamcommunity.com/id/Faptastic_/games for an example.

I know from plenty of firsthand experience that the types of video games you play or even just fact that you play video games at all given your age (especially if you don't have children) are seen as a reflection of your personality, character, and stability. Obviously I don't agree with such a perception, but it's an unfortunate reality amongst a significant percentage of the population, and it certainly can negatively impact your life if you are an older adult who plays such video games. That's why anonymous gameplay is not too much to ask, and being able to completely opt-out of any tracking should be available from every game service including Steam.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 17:27.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 10, 2011, 17:33 NoBS

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 16:48:
According to the forums, it is intentional because people were gifting it to people who bought BC2 retail and then they were unable to use it because you need BC2 digital.
The problem is not that their game is BC2 retail. The problem is Steam. On Steam you can't just buy DLC for a game like you can at other digital distributors. If the Steam account that buys or receives the DLC doesn't have the base game, the DLC can't be used and even the product key can't be accessed, which is all that is needed to use the BC2 Vietnam with retail or other digital releases anyway.

Steam's Vietnam DLC key is the same as any other version, and it will work with the retail release. The problem is that you can't get a key without the base game in the account since it only shows up on the base game's tab.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2011, 17:40.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit
50. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 17:13 NoBS

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:39:
If your Steam account ever gets unauthorized charges you'll be happy they can do this.
No, I wouldn't because my word that the charges are unauthorized should be all that is required as proof. And that is all that credit card companies require. This tracking just gives Valve a tool to use to dispute that the charges weren't unauthorized. That doesn't help the customer. That helps Valve.

Plus the whole issue is moot because Valve will just permanently disable your Steam account if you dispute charges made to it and forbid that credit card from ever being used again on Steam via its policy. See https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9114-WGHM-0381

In the meantime, you can think that Valve has hired someone to sit there and watch every tiny thing you personally do on Steam.
Valve doesn't have to hire anyone to do it. The Steam software does it for them.

47. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 17:05 NoBS

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:55:
You can't explain!
I can explain, but I choose not to get drawn into a long discussion with someone who obviously in the end isn't going to get it anyway. You can go update your Facebook page instead. Everyone needs to know who you are and what you are doing right now anyway.

You understand that your credit card company and HMO have about a billion more damning pieces of information than a hardware ID, right?
Yes, anything and everything should be allowed by any company because there is always some company which is worse. Valve also stated in the article that it had more than just a hardware ID.

Look, consumers should be able to play their games anonymously and left alone if they choose. There is absolutely no reason not to make any tracking on Steam completely optional. It's like saying there should be no opt-out of spam because the company can get your email address elsewhere or because unsolicited email can benefit you.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 17:25.

46. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 16:56 NoBS

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:45:
Steam's been open about hardware IDs since May. Even if you were unaware before it's impossible to be unaware now - every time you use a device with a new hardware ID it makes you authorize it via a code emailed to you.
That must be some optional feature as I've never had that happen. I thought if you opted out of Steam's hardware/software spyware survey, your information was not tracked and stored.

44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 16:53 NoBS

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:45:
Explain.
Seriously, explain how the customer is hurt here.
If I have to explain to you why a person's privacy is important, then you are exactly what is wrong with people today and why companies are allowed to get away with this crap.

Then again I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. This is the Facebook era afterall.

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 16:44 NoBS

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:40:
Their network, their rules.
Yes, fuck the customer because the corporate overlords' interest is more important than the customer's.

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 16:36 NoBS

briktal wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:23:
It was Steam.

From the news article...
Using a hardware ID number, Valve also determined that the computer used to access the game preview code did not match the computer used by the authorized GMC journalist, the complaint added, suggesting that the access was unauthorized and unknown by the journalist.

Valve said that it has more information about the allegedly-offending Steam account and the relevant hardware ID number

That right there is a good reason not to use Steam if you care about your privacy. So much for the notion that Steam is not spyware. That information should not be tracked by Valve in the first place especially for normal Steam accounts because there is no need for it but you know it is. Valve will be hit with a subpoena for this information in 3,2,1...

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 16:43.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned
15. Where have you been? Jul 6, 2011, 01:04 NoBS

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 22:43:
Since when have they released any official mod tools for Battlefield games anyway?
Since Battlefield 1942. Hell, even Codename Eagle had official mod tools. Both BF1942 and BF2 had plenty of official mod tools and tutorials from EA. You can still download these from the EA FTP sites.

By the way without a public release of the dedicated server files any mods would be useless. BF:BC2 doesn't have public server files and I don't expect BF3 to have them either.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 01:12.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 5, 2011, 00:01 NoBS

mag wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 18:49:
Mmm... $15 New Vegas... Maybe I'll finally buy it.
Best Buy has it on sale for $10.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: You can pay with a gift card. Jul 3, 2011, 12:17 NoBS

Ant wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 12:10:
I do NOT want to give my CC datas.
I don't see the problem since it is just going to be used for address verification and since it's only temporary if you remove the card from your account when finished. A debit card would probably also work. But, obviously it's your choice if you don't want to do it.

39 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo