Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 931 (Graduate)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
38. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 19:48 ItBurn

siapnar wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 19:22:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:46:
The story is uninteresting and convoluted and while it may attempt to make players think more deeply about what they're doing, it ultimately falls flat because of the game's flaws. The gameplay is awful and the fact that you stop playing only means that it's a terrible game.

You guys would find gems in a turd.
Guys, thread's over. This fella's opinion is paramount.
Grovel, motherfuckers

Thanks

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 18:46 ItBurn

Asmo wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:35:
And ultimately, you do have a choice. You could choose to stop playing the game. Quitting the game and refusing to play it would be the equivalent of the main character pulling his side arm and shooting himself or falling down catatonic, rather than push further and risk doing more terrible things. Even the act of refusing the play the game fits it's modeling of human psychology. And that's why it's brilliant.

The amount of BS has reached critical. The story is uninteresting and convoluted and while it may attempt to make players think more deeply about what they're doing, it ultimately falls flat because of the game's flaws. The gameplay is awful and the fact that you stop playing only means that it's a terrible game.

You guys would find gems in a turd.

29. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 15:54 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 15:51:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 15:02:
The Witcher games already do this. You make a bunch of calls which you think are the right ones, but you really have no idea. And then you reap the consequences and sometimes they really really suck. I killed a whole village of people because of one of my choices and Geralt kept on going and the story took into consideration my choices. You make the decision if you're a good or bad guy and it's really hard to tell at points. Even games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fallout 3 do this successfully to some extent, or at least better than Spec Ops. The difference is that spec ops tried to make you feel specifically like an asshole. At least the Witcher games aren't as terrible as Spec Ops, so let's encourage them instead.

Very good points.

I haven't actually played The Witcher much. I own both but never got into either, that style of combat doesn't appeal. It's hard to say but it felt clunky and lacked the immediacy that I prefer. I know it's absolutely not, but it felt like a bad port at times. I haven't played Dragon Age. That sort of organic choice and morality is the best way to do it IMHO. I should revisit The Witcher 2.

Morality is an important aspect to games with choice, either explicit choices like Mass Effect or The Witcher (as I understand it) or open games like Skyrim or Fallout (which do have explicit choices but unlike Mass Effect also have lots of so-called emergent gameplay choices like random murdering or nicking stuff while the shop keeper has a basket over his head). Even in games without morality systems in them, this affects my choices - if there's choice, there's morality and if there isn't choice, Spec Ops, there isn't morality. I much prefer games without actual morality systems - consequences should be natural and whether a choice is morally good or bad should be left to the player. The world doesn't pop up "+5 Good" and neither should a game, rather NPCs should judge my decisions based on their beliefs, needs, and understanding. I typically play as good characters, but systems like Mass Effect's makes me feel that I have to max it out so morality becomes one choice early in the game: good or bad.

Mass Effect is a great example of branching story lines, bar the ending which basically chucked all your decisions - and basic logic - out the window. This is a large part of why Mass Effect are great games and Spec Ops: The Line is little more than a curiosity - they attempted to have their cake and eat it with regards to morality and linearity. Considering whether the player was the bad guy was an interesting take but if it was trying to make a moral statement, it failed hard.

If you want to try another take on branching story telling, check out Alpha Protocol. It was the Fallout New Vegas team's previous project, it's not nearly as polished as Mass Effect but there are some similarities.

I loved Alpha Protocol!

The Witcher games are hard to get into for sure. Once you get it going though, you can't put it down. The payoff at the end is absolutely worth it. If you want a hint, if you're getting bored, forget all the side quests and just progress.

26. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 15:02 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:54:
To its credit, I felt that it was more about him obsessing about "Am I a bad person?" rather than the game repeatedly telling us that he is.

With regards to the phosphorous scene (which I guess is now beyond spoiler tags) - this demonstrates the difficulty in developing plot-driven interactive content. That scene would have been vastly more powerful if it had been my mistake, rather than my character's, but I can't think of any way to implement that as the entire rest of the game hinges on this mistake. That games make us identify with the lead character to some extent is an amazing story telling innovation but we don't really know how to use it yet. Books, films, etc don't have any problem with the reader disagreeing with a decision because we don't feel like any decision is being made *for us*.

I think this is what I like about Spec Ops: The Line. It tried something different and by and large it failed. But it tried, and the next time someone tries to make a game that tries something different, they'll have a little bit more idea about what works and what doesn't. It's a brave new world and I'm not referring to the Civ 5 expansion pack which, being open-ended, takes a whole other approach to interactive story telling.

The Witcher games already do this. You make a bunch of calls which you think are the right ones, but you really have no idea. And then you reap the consequences and sometimes they really really suck. I killed a whole village of people because of one of my choices and Geralt kept on going and the story took into consideration my choices. You make the decision if you're a good or bad guy and it's really hard to tell at points. Even games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fallout 3 do this successfully to some extent, or at least better than Spec Ops. The difference is that spec ops tried to make you feel specifically like an asshole. At least the Witcher games aren't as terrible as Spec Ops, so let's encourage them instead.

22. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 14:09 ItBurn

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:06:
I was aware that you could scare away the people in the village. I just shot over their heads until they ran away.

I "got" the phosphorous scene; what I didn't like was how the developers kept going out of their way to point out how rotten your character was. They could have been more subtle.

I wouldn't have used phosphorous. That was stupid. He didn't even stop to think about other options or anything. I thought that the character was a stupid asshole and having to "be" him really took me out of the game.

13. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 ItBurn

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:39:
"The game won't continue until you kill all those civilians!"

(Kills civilians)

"You're a bad, bad man for killing those civilians! Don't you feel ashamed?"

Yeah, and it's especially bad since killing the civilians makes no sense and there's other solutions. The main character is a psychopath from the start.

11. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:32 ItBurn

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:21:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:08:
Games are supposed to be fun.

Oh look, I was exactly right about you.

No, they are not "supposed to be fun." They are an artistic medium like any other. Many books, movies, and other media often are fun, but if they always had to be, they would be woefully incomplete tools for the expression of nuanced ideas.

Games' obsession with fun is a poison that stunts the industry's growth. It prevents huge slices of the human experience from being competently told. The developers of The Line choose to break with that, doing nothing new to the shooter formula because to actually understand the protagonist's perspective, the slaughter of hundreds of faceless enemies should FEEL like a grind.

Fun is important. It's a good reason to buy things. If you think EVERYTHING should have it, grow up.

Yeah, no. The devs wanted to make a fun game with a good story that would make players think. I know it sounds cool to think that they'd make it feel like a grind on purpose, but it's just not the case. They simply failed.

Should all games be fun? That's an interesting concept, and I agree that art doesn't need to be fun. But video games has the word "game" in it and it's very closely linked to fun. Do we need games that suck is another discussion I'd rather not get into...

I just don't think that Spec Ops is what you're talking about. I watched an indie movie a year ago and it left me incredibly pissed off at what happened. Just angry. It was a negative emotion, but still, it didn't feel like I wasted my time. Spec Ops absolutely wasted my time, and if they really tried to make a "grind", the devs actually lied to me with a different message and took my money.

8. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:08 ItBurn

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:03:
Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 10:36:
terribly overhyped story that was nowhere near as interesting as (some)people made it out to be

Yeah, there's just so many military shooters out there that use a mind-bogglingly unreliable narrator to explore the loss of sanity inherent in following violence as a career path.

People like you are why it's taken so long for AAAs to grow up, and why most of them are still schlock even after the fact. It's the reason real literary meat is usually relegated to pretentious indie junk with awful graphics. Play The Line again and pay attention this time. This isn't a matter of taste; you aren't giving it due credit, and that's offensive.

The gameplay was uninteresting because it was unimportant. It was medium, not message. People who complain about it and mention the plot as an afterthought are dense.

Hey buddy, this is a game. Games are supposed to be fun. This wasn't fun. It was torture. It's no use trying to make a message if people stop playing after a couple of hours. If you want my opinion, their delivery of this message is a fail also.

7. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:05 ItBurn

I HATE this game. The gameplay is horrible in every way. It hurt to play. World is static. Sand physics is BS scripted stuff. Shooting feels bad. Repetitive isn't a strong enough word to describe the combat. No other gameplay to speak of. Walk from point A to B in a linear fashion and listen to the next confusing dialogue piece where they drop random names of people and agencies. Cue in scripted sequence where you're forced to commit a war crime.

I know some people loved this game, and I don't usually question tastes, but people who like this game are WRONG :p

News Comments > Morning Previews
10. Re: Morning Previews Jul 18, 2014, 17:22 ItBurn

siapnar wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 17:18:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:22:
Oh, everything looks great at medium to long distance, but everything also looks like shit at close range. To me, it takes me out of the game immediately. There's exceptions like your weapons, hands and npcs. That would be too obvious. I mean the starting town store, just at the start of the game, everything looks beyond horrible.
I agree the first town's indoor areas had some pretty awful texture compression.

Still, it obviously depends on the person, but I found RAGE overall to be a very beautiful game with interesting art direction. The combat is pretty satisfying, too (on foot - vehicular sucks hard).

One thing that stands out for me though is the lack of dynamic lighting since almost all of the environment lighting is baked in. Interesting technique, but flawed.

I really hated the foot combat. Enemies are bullet sponges. I mean, it takes several headshots to kill a guy with no helmet... It would have been way more satisfying if they would have died easier. But that's not the rage engine, it's the game.

One other thing that sucked about rage is that there were invisible walls EVERYWHERE. Like, oh there's an inch of trash in front of you, you can't go there... There were open areas for driving, but those were insanely barren. I'm guessing large detailed areas are a limitation of the engine.

I mean, I look at Skyrim with it's detailed textures, huge detailed areas with no invisible walls and great graphics and I wonder what the hell's good about the rage engine...

7. Re: Morning Previews Jul 18, 2014, 16:22 ItBurn

siapnar wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:13:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 15:15:
Edit 2: I f-ing hate the rage engine. Duke nukem 3d has better textures. I hope the game is next gen only, that way MAYBE we'll get decent textures... wow
Yea... I dunno what version you're playing, but RAGE looks awesome on my machine.
Sure, some secondary textures look a bit low res, but last night as I was entering Subway Town for the 20th time during my single (and belated, I might add) playthrough, I couldn't help but think how incredible it looked.
I find myself stopping to take in the scenery a lot in RAGE

Oh, everything looks great at medium to long distance, but everything also looks like shit at close range. To me, it takes me out of the game immediately. There's exceptions like your weapons, hands and npcs. That would be too obvious. I mean the starting town store, just at the start of the game, everything looks beyond horrible.

5. Re: Morning Previews Jul 18, 2014, 15:15 ItBurn

Fletch wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 10:39:
Weapon wheel? Mortal Kombat finishing moves? Action button quicktime BS? Losing interest fast.

Same. I especially disliked the fact that it's linear. Add all these things together and you get another Call of Duty style game. That's pretty damn far from what I'd like a Doom game to be.

I'll just wait and see.

Edit: I think what I want is the Brutal Doom mod, but in a modern engine.
Edit 2: I f-ing hate the rage engine. Duke nukem 3d has better textures. I hope the game is next gen only, that way MAYBE we'll get decent textures... wow

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2014, 15:22.

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
5. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 19:18 ItBurn

Cliffy has angered me and many others by bashing PC gaming many times. Also, I'm not a fan of his games.  

News Comments > More Crytek Rumors
6. Re: More Crytek Rumors Jun 24, 2014, 14:40 ItBurn

The company that made the amazing Farcry 1 is long dead.

I just hope that the shut down won't affect Star Citizen too much...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2014, 17:50 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 17:25:
There is nothing wrong with the concept of Early Access. Developers who use it correctly can make much better choices about what to include in their games based on community feedback. They also tend to have more dedicated testers since these people own the game, and many will want a hand in seeing it become the best it can be.

Here is a great example of Early Access done right.

I bought it and I think I made a decent investment.

Thanks for that link. I've been wanting to know more about this game.

As for early access, I think that it's great, but I think that people invest in so many bad projects that obviously will never be good. People aren't informed enough. They'll end up getting burned and will stop spending money on the projects that might actually be good.

Or maybe not. Maybe people know this and we'll end up with a few great games... I'm absolutely a fan of paying to help with development of a game because right now, it's the ONLY way to get good games. I'm so tired of the recycled console crap with palette swaps and a different story.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Trailer
9. Re: Alien Isolation Trailer Jun 11, 2014, 00:22 ItBurn

I refuse to watch this. I'm absolutely picking this up and want a fresh experience. I watched the first trailer and reading all these positive comments is enough.  

News Comments > H1Z1 "My Evil Ways" E3 Trailer
17. Re: H1Z1 Jun 10, 2014, 00:32 ItBurn

Wow that looked terrible.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Trailer
2. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Trailer Jun 10, 2014, 00:28 ItBurn

Every time I see that title I quickly read "Rise of the triad". Bethesda would sue for that.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2014, 19:37 ItBurn

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 19:31:
Thanks for the feedback. I do like FPS alot. I think I will get it!

You may want to watch this first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFK2n27OUu4

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
26. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 21:35 ItBurn

Flatline wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 21:29:
Mordhaus wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 20:01:
After flying my hornet in AC, I asked for a refund of my kickstarter. The flight model is not what they promised, you hit the spacebar and basically can just turret in space. It was supposed to be a ww2/star wars style dogfight flight model, but it's the complete opposite.

I rather regret hearing that. At least Freespace 2 is open source now and has been upgraded pretty well.

I don't know what exactly is the complaint here. Yes you can stop in space and turn around. Isn't that expected? That will also get you killed really fast.

931 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo