Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 926 (Graduate)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Game Announced
10. Re: OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Game Announced Aug 13, 2014, 21:43 ItBurn

Ok, so they're making a Left4Dead clone, but with zombies?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
5. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 10:20 ItBurn

PC in a year.  

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Gameplay Trailer
6. Re: Dead Island 2 Gameplay Trailer Aug 11, 2014, 14:21 ItBurn

What I like about zombie games is the dark atmosphere. This looks more like a comedy... I'm much more excited for Dying Light.  

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs
6. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs Aug 7, 2014, 12:05 ItBurn

This game is the opposite of a PC game.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
7. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 10:26 ItBurn

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 10:19:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 10:08:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 09:43:
I kind of lost interest in this project and the amount of money it collected.
It is awesome to show off the power of PC gamers when it comes to funding to shove it in the console companies face, but at the same time I really wish he would focus on making the game instead of all the other crap he does, like those web tv things and commercials and new ship designs etc.
Sure the new ships are awesome but until you have a game to play those in it is kinda ass backwards to work on those imo.
Just like you have to build a house from the foundation up not from the roof down.

Hmm. When you make a game, a lot of things are being made a the same time. They don't just make a single ship and then move on to creating gameplay... Everything happens at the same time. As for the movies and stuff, that's a completely different source of funding. It's being funded by the subscribers who shell some money each month.
I guess it wasn't obvious from my comment.
I was talking about time management, and effort being put into the game itself rather than the fluff.
They don't even know if the CryEngine will be able to handle all the shit they want to pour into this game but hey they have 2 gazillion space ships designed and modeled already.
Sure design some ships say 5-6 or whatever but have a stable base game running before add more stuff into it.
These guys go the opposite direction. They have a working toilet and doorknob in your space ship but will the CryEngine handle the scale of this game? Who cares. Let's make another pretty commercial movie for a new ship.

Ok. Well, the modelers aren't going to just stand there and do nothing all day. I'm guessing that making the ships that people paid for is a good investment of their time. Making the engine work is more of the work of programmers. I wouldn't worry about the Cryengine being able to handle it. That's why you hire programmers, so that they can do their job and develop things so that they work...

Like I said, the commercials are a side thing that don't drain resources from the main game. I mean it's a video, not 3d modeling or programming.

To reiterate, they aren't only working on doorknobs, it's just that that's easy to do and show right now.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
4. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 10:08 ItBurn

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 09:43:
I kind of lost interest in this project and the amount of money it collected.
It is awesome to show off the power of PC gamers when it comes to funding to shove it in the console companies face, but at the same time I really wish he would focus on making the game instead of all the other crap he does, like those web tv things and commercials and new ship designs etc.
Sure the new ships are awesome but until you have a game to play those in it is kinda ass backwards to work on those imo.
Just like you have to build a house from the foundation up not from the roof down.

Hmm. When you make a game, a lot of things are being made a the same time. They don't just make a single ship and then move on to creating gameplay... Everything happens at the same time. As for the movies and stuff, that's a completely different source of funding. It's being funded by the subscribers who shell some money each month.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced
17. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced Aug 1, 2014, 15:48 ItBurn

Redmask wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 15:42:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 14:42:
Well while they're hyping the shit out of the "coming eventually" patch 2.1 for D3, I can't be bothered to play that until then. It's nice to have another, different ARPG to play when you get bored of one of 'em...

I agree, Grim Dawn is fantastic

What's up with that game? When is it coming out? Seems like it's been in development for 10 years.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced
10. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced Aug 1, 2014, 14:33 ItBurn

Now that D3 is a bit better, it's pretty hard to go back to PoE... PoE's gameplay is terrible(not talking about the systems)... It's about a million times more satisfying to kill things in D3...  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:44 ItBurn

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:37:
commonperson wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 11:05:
... the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha. ...

The CryEngine might not be robust enough to manage multiplayer space combat as intended. For example:

When you fire your lasers you drain ship energy. This energy drain impacts your engines and speed. This ship speed reduction is not modeled correctly (at all?) in the positional prediction algorithms which keep your local client ship in sync with the remote server ship.

As you can modify your energy usage on the fly, faster than the client-server can accommodate, this results in positional mismatching and all the artifacts that brings to the client.

Can this be fixed? CryTek is having difficulties and is probably in no position to assist any more than they are.

That's an incredibly simple/common problem for multiplayer games. You need to sync objects on every client. The multiplayer programmers will do their job and make it work... If you're going to go crazy about every small bug they're having, it's going to be a long development! But maybe the problem is deeper than you make it seem?

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 13:45 ItBurn

ChomskyGuy wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:35:
Addressing some Elite: Dangerous misconceptions here:

• Elite: Dangerous doesn't play like EVE

• Elite: Dangerous does have goals, missions/quests with injected events and procedural story arcs.

• See more in this FAQ: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

Also Elite will have

I like what I read, but there's NO WAY they can deliver all that in Q4 2014... Not without huge sacrifices... I haven't really been following this project, but I do know how long it takes to make a good game.

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 11:01 ItBurn

In multiplayer, Freelancer has no main quest and no goals. I loved it.  

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 10:31 ItBurn

commonperson wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 10:24:
    ItBurn wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 10:05:
    You really aren't helping me like it by using EVE online... Most boring game ever... At least eve has a ton of things to do and accomplish. I've played a lot of freeform sandboxes that I loved and some of then that I found boring. No need for a main quest line, but there has to be a reason to play... I'm definitely interested, but I'm scared it won't hold my attention or there won't be a game in there.

Think of it more like Privateer with the story lifted out of it. The only comparison to EVE is the same kind of comparison that could be made to all economy based games. You can mine, trade, and run contracts. The gameplay itself is straight up space sim. I'm struggling getting my reflexes back it's been so long since I've used a joystick the old twitch is rusty.

It's really quite immersive, I'm using a G13 pad with my left hand to control systems and vertical and horizontal thrust as well as speed and a joystick with my right hand to control pitch, yaw, and weapons. Still trying to find the magic combination (may even spring for a fancy joystick/throttle combo for it). Unlike Star Citizen (which I'm also a backer of) there's complete control over your controller scheme easily in game so it gives you a lot of flexibility.

I was able to be "captivated" by Eve online(even if it sucked) and Freelancer, but couldn't keep interested in the X games or Evochron mercenary. I'm not entirely sure what the magical recipe is.

Star Citizen will have remappable controls pretty soon, if it's not there already. I'm not questioning myself about SC because the guy worked on Freelancer and has continually said that it would be similar.

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 ItBurn

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 09:57:
    No the next release "gamma?" will be feature complete.
    Beta will have different phases, Alpha had 3, where they will add new features in and get the game ready for release later this year.
    Ones the game hits gamma stage there won't be anymore character wipes either.

It is an open world game so no story line. If you do not enjoy taking on missions, mine goods then sell them for profit or trade and figure out trade routes for max profit while fending off pirates, than this game is probably not for you.
    Think of it as EVE Online in first person view.

I haven't had much time to play lately, but I am looking forward to get back into it.

You really aren't helping me like it by using EVE online... Most boring game ever... At least eve has a ton of things to do and accomplish. I've played a lot of freeform sandboxes that I loved and some of then that I found boring. No need for a main quest line, but there has to be a reason to play... I'm definitely interested, but I'm scared it won't hold my attention or there won't be a game in there.

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 09:49 ItBurn

Already beta? Betas are supposedly feature complete. Sounds to me like the game will be light on features... Or not? I love sandbox games, but I get tired fast when there aren't enough things to do or if there aren't incentives to play.  

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
    45. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 22, 2014, 00:00 ItBurn

Redmask wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 23:19:
    ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:46:
    You guys would find gems in a turd.

Says the guy posting 20 times in a thread about a game he supposedly hates.

38. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 19:48 ItBurn

siapnar wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 19:22:
    ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:46:
    The story is uninteresting and convoluted and while it may attempt to make players think more deeply about what they're doing, it ultimately falls flat because of the game's flaws. The gameplay is awful and the fact that you stop playing only means that it's a terrible game.

Guys, thread's over. This fella's opinion is paramount.
    Grovel, motherfuckers

Thanks

36. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 18:46 ItBurn

Asmo wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:35:
    And ultimately, you do have a choice. You could choose to stop playing the game. Quitting the game and refusing to play it would be the equivalent of the main character pulling his side arm and shooting himself or falling down catatonic, rather than push further and risk doing more terrible things. Even the act of refusing the play the game fits it's modeling of human psychology. And that's why it's brilliant.

The amount of BS has reached critical. The story is uninteresting and convoluted and while it may attempt to make players think more deeply about what they're doing, it ultimately falls flat because of the game's flaws. The gameplay is awful and the fact that you stop playing only means that it's a terrible game.

29. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 15:54 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 15:51:
    ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 15:02:
    The Witcher games already do this. You make a bunch of calls which you think are the right ones, but you really have no idea. And then you reap the consequences and sometimes they really really suck. I killed a whole village of people because of one of my choices and Geralt kept on going and the story took into consideration my choices. You make the decision if you're a good or bad guy and it's really hard to tell at points. Even games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fallout 3 do this successfully to some extent, or at least better than Spec Ops. The difference is that spec ops tried to make you feel specifically like an asshole. At least the Witcher games aren't as terrible as Spec Ops, so let's encourage them instead.

Very good points.

I haven't actually played The Witcher much. I own both but never got into either, that style of combat doesn't appeal. It's hard to say but it felt clunky and lacked the immediacy that I prefer. I know it's absolutely not, but it felt like a bad port at times. I haven't played Dragon Age. That sort of organic choice and morality is the best way to do it IMHO. I should revisit The Witcher 2.

Morality is an important aspect to games with choice, either explicit choices like Mass Effect or The Witcher (as I understand it) or open games like Skyrim or Fallout (which do have explicit choices but unlike Mass Effect also have lots of so-called emergent gameplay choices like random murdering or nicking stuff while the shop keeper has a basket over his head). Even in games without morality systems in them, this affects my choices - if there's choice, there's morality and if there isn't choice, Spec Ops, there isn't morality. I much prefer games without actual morality systems - consequences should be natural and whether a choice is morally good or bad should be left to the player. The world doesn't pop up "+5 Good" and neither should a game, rather NPCs should judge my decisions based on their beliefs, needs, and understanding. I typically play as good characters, but systems like Mass Effect's makes me feel that I have to max it out so morality becomes one choice early in the game: good or bad.

Mass Effect is a great example of branching story lines, bar the ending which basically chucked all your decisions - and basic logic - out the window. This is a large part of why Mass Effect are great games and Spec Ops: The Line is little more than a curiosity - they attempted to have their cake and eat it with regards to morality and linearity. Considering whether the player was the bad guy was an interesting take but if it was trying to make a moral statement, it failed hard.

If you want to try another take on branching story telling, check out Alpha Protocol. It was the Fallout New Vegas team's previous project, it's not nearly as polished as Mass Effect but there are some similarities.

I loved Alpha Protocol!

The Witcher games are hard to get into for sure. Once you get it going though, you can't put it down. The payoff at the end is absolutely worth it. If you want a hint, if you're getting bored, forget all the side quests and just progress.

26. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 15:02 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:54:
    To its credit, I felt that it was more about him obsessing about "Am I a bad person?" rather than the game repeatedly telling us that he is.

With regards to the phosphorous scene (which I guess is now beyond spoiler tags) - this demonstrates the difficulty in developing plot-driven interactive content. That scene would have been vastly more powerful if it had been my mistake, rather than my character's, but I can't think of any way to implement that as the entire rest of the game hinges on this mistake. That games make us identify with the lead character to some extent is an amazing story telling innovation but we don't really know how to use it yet. Books, films, etc don't have any problem with the reader disagreeing with a decision because we don't feel like any decision is being made *for us*.

I think this is what I like about Spec Ops: The Line. It tried something different and by and large it failed. But it tried, and the next time someone tries to make a game that tries something different, they'll have a little bit more idea about what works and what doesn't. It's a brave new world and I'm not referring to the Civ 5 expansion pack which, being open-ended, takes a whole other approach to interactive story telling.

The Witcher games already do this. You make a bunch of calls which you think are the right ones, but you really have no idea. And then you reap the consequences and sometimes they really really suck. I killed a whole village of people because of one of my choices and Geralt kept on going and the story took into consideration my choices. You make the decision if you're a good or bad guy and it's really hard to tell at points. Even games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fallout 3 do this successfully to some extent, or at least better than Spec Ops. The difference is that spec ops tried to make you feel specifically like an asshole. At least the Witcher games aren't as terrible as Spec Ops, so let's encourage them instead.

22. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 14:09 ItBurn

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:06:
    I was aware that you could scare away the people in the village. I just shot over their heads until they ran away.

I "got" the phosphorous scene; what I didn't like was how the developers kept going out of their way to point out how rotten your character was. They could have been more subtle.

I wouldn't have used phosphorous. That was stupid. He didn't even stop to think about other options or anything. I thought that the character was a stupid asshole and having to "be" him really took me out of the game.

926 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo