Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 909 (Graduate)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy Jun 27, 2013, 22:55 ItBurn

To me a rogue-like game has randomized levels and a "you die once and it's over" deal. That's it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy Jun 27, 2013, 21:21 ItBurn

Looks really fun. IS IT THOUGH!?  

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
72. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 09:59 ItBurn

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 09:57:
I don't care about any of this F2P MMO crap. The singleplayer portion needs to be good all by itself because that's all I'll ever play. From how little mention it gets in interviews and previews I highly doubt it will be anything but a glorified tutorial.

It'll be very solid. Do a minimum of research and you'll find the info you want.

70. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 09:41 ItBurn

Julio wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 09:35:
If this game isn't pay-to-win I don't know what is. Buying things that are not cosmetic in game is the definition of pay-to-win. The constant pay-to-win emails I'm getting from this game far exceed how many Neverwinter sends me (which is clearly a pay-to-win game).

Buying "insurance"
Buying "ships"
Buying "citizenship"
Buying "in-game money"

All of that is clearly pay-to-win. I'm not against it (though I'll never do it, it's a way of doing business), but let's be honest about this one.

Feel free to pay to win, but I'll shoot you down with my starter ship and for me it'll be free to win :p

51. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 00:37 ItBurn

And I thought I was a negative person... :p  

47. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 23:32 ItBurn

Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 23:30:
Dev, they address all of that regarding subscriptions very clearly.

Direct quote from the site:

"To that end, we want to make clear that there will NEVER be a subscription needed to play Star Citizen. Once you have backed you should not have to spend extra money to play the game. Similarly, Star Citizen will never be ‘pay to win,’ so we are not going to offer a subscription plan that gives some users special equipment or additional money or any kind of edge in combat. We feel strongly that everything that affects gameplay can be earned in game via your actions."

But that brings up that Pay2Win topic and it is obvious to me that the developers are using a pretty loose interpretation of the term. They are saying that as long as everything in the store can be earned in the game, it isn't Pay2Win. I think most players would agree that if you can buy ships, regardless of whether they are able to be earned in game, that moves you over into the Pay2Win category. As I stated below, I couldn't give a shit less if someone wants to pay not to play the game. I do understand however that some people dislike that a developer would say it isn't Pay2Win and then sell anything other than cosmetic things in the store.

The thing is thought that in this game, player skill is more important than ship parts. Also, all ships are useful for different purposes. A smaller ship may be able to take down a bigger, costlier ship because it's faster and harder to hit.

44. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 23:04 ItBurn

Dev wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 22:44:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 22:33:
Right. It's not F2P, not P2W, not MMO(depending on your definition) and has no subscription though :p
They have subscriptions available right now (despite the claims they never would offer any). They are supposed to be mostly news at the moment, but they don't actually say if you even get the game with them. Who knows how subscriptions will play out by the time its released.

Its P2W by definition if you are buying ships and not cosmetic stuff, even if its something you can earn in game. It might not be as extreme as things where the good stuff is ONLY avail if you pay money, but its there. Similar to EVE in that way, you can earn everything starting at the bottom, or just throw money in and start much higher up.

As for F2P, he's mentioned before that he wants EVERYONE to be able to play it, I guess its F2P more in the sense of guild wars rather than WoW. And who knows, it could change by the time the game is released. He may decide that everyone who has bought into it is only getting the ships/insurance and that its actually going to be free to everyone at release, then that would give a broader install base for microtransaction purchases. One of the big key things with F2P is to try and push microtransactions as hard as possible, and thats what I see happening. The same stuff I see when I play casual F2P games, I see happening with ships and insurance, etc here.

As for MMO, despite the denials of it being one, it has all the hallmarks. A large number of players. A permanent, persistent world on company servers (yes they are supposed to let people run their own servers, we'll see how much they do with that, especially since that would discourage microtransaction purchases). Etc.

Well we disagree on all points, but whatever. One thing though, there are no subscriptions. If there are it's definitely news to me. Where did you hear that?

Edit. I just saw the subscription stuff. It's kinda weird and like you said, it's unclear how that'll play out. But it's fully optional.

40. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 22:33 ItBurn

Dev wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 22:30:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 22:26:
They just passed 10m
No, they passed that LONG ago with the private funding. The private funding along was something like $10m as I recall. So really they are more like $20m.
Its the private funding that he's beholden to that I think is driving the whole F2P/P2W/MMO/subscription mix of weirdness. Like he's throwing everything in thats "hot" right now.

Anyway, like I said, I hope my doubts are false and everyone else is correct. Because I'd love for my KS pledge to work out just great and I'd love to have a game even half as good as Privateer or Wing Commander.

Right. It's not F2P, not P2W, not MMO(depending on your definition) and has no subscription though :p You guys are literally imagining all of that.

38. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 22:26 ItBurn

We obviously have no idea how this is going to turn out.
With that said, this is Chris Roberts. Wing Commander, Privateer, Freelancer. The sandbox mode is basically just like Freelancer. He has already done it, he knows what he's doing. Also, no other project has as much interaction with the fans. Constant updates. Look at the Wingman hangar show. It's the only project I ever kickstarted and that was because it had the most street cred. They are indeed constantly trying to get more pledges and more financing. They just passed 10m and are building their own mocap studio because of it. But you're obviously focusing on only these stories because there's a lot more media released by them that is about the game itself and where they're at.

31. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 21:47 ItBurn

Since when did it become a bad thing to have to play a game to progress in it Cutter? You play a rpg, you find loot and cash, you buy better loot, repeat. It's why we like those games...

Definition of freemium: "Freemium is a business model by which a proprietary product or service (typically a digital offering such as software, media, games or web services) is provided free of charge, but money (premium) is charged for advanced features, functionality, or virtual goods."

It is not freemium. Not free of charge. No advanced features that you can only get with money.

Buy the game or not, it doesn't really matter to me, but things aren't like you think.

20. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 19:41 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 19:37:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 19:11:
They're hosting a mmo-style server because it's awesome and profitable... No other reason. They'll continuously update the universe and add new things with the cash they earn this way. But if you want, you can host your own server and even do mods.
Of course, that's what they "say". You have to encourage projects that do stuff you want. You can continue paying 60$ for call of duty if you prefer.

What about paying for neither? I'm not. No idea why CoD would even be mentioned in a news post about a space sim.

I honestly just don't trust this enough to back it. I don't buy into the idea that the only way to make and maintain a good space sim is to go the F2P MMMO route. And the single player campaign sounds to me like it will be a series of missions and not an open world sandbox.

I'm fine with waiting until release and reviews come out.

What the hell are you talking about. It's not F2P. It's a 60$ game. No one has ever said that doing a worldwide server and microtransactions was the only way to do it. The only way to do it was to kickstart it, which is already done...

The single player campaign is a wing commander style series of missions, yes, but you can still play the sandbox game alone. There will be tons of things to do, but probably no main quest line.

Read my post and you'll know why CoD would be mentioned in a news post about a space sim :p

16. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 19:11 ItBurn

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 18:24:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 18:08:
The game also features a single player campaign.
You can also host your own server with no transactions at all.
Lots of reasons to support the game.

What Eraser said. What are the complete details on it? You get access to ALL the ships and goodies? Then why are they doing a freemium model?

They're hosting a mmo-style server because it's awesome and profitable... No other reason. They'll continuously update the universe and add new things with the cash they earn this way. But if you want, you can host your own server and even do mods.
Of course, that's what they "say". You have to encourage projects that do stuff you want. You can continue paying 60$ for call of duty if you prefer.

11. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 18:08 ItBurn

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 17:47:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 16:29:
I am almost investing in this game.

Quick, someone talk me out of it.

Easy watch this interview from E3...Chris Roberts E3 interview

Star Citizen may not be P2W but it sure sounds like they're setting it up to nickel and dime people to death, or in his own words...."pay for convenience". Don't have time to grind all the credits you need to buy an item in game? Just buy the credits and buy what you want! So yeah, this is just another "freemium" MMO.

The game also features a single player campaign.
You can also host your own server with no transactions at all.
Lots of reasons to support the game.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC & Preorder Bonus Plans
2. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC & Preorder Bonus Plans Jun 19, 2013, 09:43 ItBurn

Holy front page video batman  

News Comments > Gunpoint Sales Figures
4. Re: Gunpoint Sales Figures Jun 18, 2013, 23:05 ItBurn

I'm jealous  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month Jun 18, 2013, 18:11 ItBurn

Is it just me or was this completed way too quickly?  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 16, 2013, 12:15 ItBurn

PC gamer's best of e3: Best Action Game — The Evil Within  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Footage
8. Re: Shadow Warrior Footage Jun 15, 2013, 21:40 ItBurn

Better than expected.  

News Comments > Fez II Announced
10. Re: Fez II Announced Jun 13, 2013, 21:56 ItBurn

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 21:49:
I don't get it. He isn't any more annoying than CliffyB during Epic's Unreal Tournament days. Maybe you guys should lay off the twitter.

I actually hate both and have been not buying from both. So, I guess I'm ok?

News Comments > The Evil Within Trailer
1. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 13, 2013, 21:52 ItBurn

Oh boy, they're using the Rage engine... I hope they're using the extra memory for textures! I'm a guy who dislikes plain colored polygons. Can't say that I would call what I saw scary... It's as scary as god of war... Bit early to tell, but I was never a fan of the resident evil format.  

909 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo