Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 916 (Graduate)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 12, 2013, 11:46 ItBurn

Wow, duck tales is truly a love it or hate it game. No reviews between 80 and 60.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
73. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 12, 2013, 10:13 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:47:
Pyremes wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 04:12:
I believe there was enemy leveling based on your combat rank, which rises as you kill things (and is not tied to how powerful your ship is). If you sit around idle for a long time (say, leave your computer on overnight so that your autotraders can make you your fortune), the combat rank drops.

And that only makes a difference in "Kill" missions. You can be a total newb or Elite Plus Plus Plus in combat rank, and there will still be roughly the same kinds of enemies in a hardcore pirate sector. And that pirate M4 is still just an M4. It didn't somehow magically transform in a MurderDeathFortress like it would in Freelancer.

I think that you're wrong about freelancer. Areas had a static level of difficulty and missions had a difficulty level, so you knew how hard it was going to be. I don't think there was any scaling at all. I played the game a LOT.

News Comments > Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding
2. Re: Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding Aug 11, 2013, 13:41 ItBurn

Why would people go with indiegogo instead of Kickstarter? Kickstarter is a lot more popular.  

66. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 ItBurn

InBlack wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 10:01:
I think Chris Roberts just shat himself. But then again, he already has your cash so....

Why would he "shit" himself? The only thing "better" about X is the fact that you'll be able to build stuff. Everything about Star Citizen looks better. Or do you mean that X is farther along the development line and that's a reason for one to shit himself?

58. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 9, 2013, 00:01 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 23:59:
I hope this one has good writing and interesting side-missions. I'm not a big fan of generic, template-based missions like "Go to [insert random sector here] and kill [insert random enemies here]." Quality > quantity.

I agree with you that these missions get boring fast in basically all games ever, but I think that a random mission system can be done right and produce very entertaining and always surprising missions. You know, if you REALLY put effort in your random mission generator.

56. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 23:47 ItBurn

I was pretty sure about the enemy leveling thing... I'm gonna look into it.

As for freelancer, it may have had some enemy auto-leveling, but if it did, it was minor. There were DEFINITELY areas that you would get your ass handed to you. That happened a lot actually.

And no, I did love many sandbox games. But they all had something that kept me playing that I just couldn't find in X.

Edit: All the ones I loved had something to keep me playing. There are other sandbox games that I couldn't get into for the same reason as X.

Edit2: For example, I f-ing loved Pirates of the Carribean by Akella, but I hated Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales. I loved original Stalker, but couldn't stand Clear Skies.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2013, 00:00.

47. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 18:51 ItBurn

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 18:49:
Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 18:39:
MajorD wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 17:57:
Sounds interesting and promising, but they could have done w/o the cel-shading IMO. I'll wait for reviews and some early LPs before pulling the trigger.

See my posts @ #13. Ego says it's not cell-shaded.

HTF do people figure it's cel-shaded?! They need to look at Borderlands, then look at this. Nothing even remotely similar. Cel-shading looks ass-tastic. This looks effing sweet.

I can't tell if it's cell shaded, but it's definitely a cartoony style with thick black lines contouring everything. Not saying it looks bad, but it's in no way realistic.

45. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 18:50 ItBurn

My problem isn't that it's too hard, it's that the mechanics were somewhat broken.

If you bought better weapons, the enemies became tougher. So there was no reason to buy better weapons or progress at all. You could spend the whole game with starter weapons and be fine.

Also, there was no actual exploration like in Freelancer. If you disagree, go play Freelancer and you'll see what I mean. It's not fun to just go from system to system when they're basically all the same, but with different goods in stations.

Finally, there's no reason to play the game as far as I could tell. You can progress and build things and stuff, but why? Maybe the latest X games had a meaningful story or some kind of main quest? I played X3 and it didn't, or was incredibly well hidden...

If ALL of these 3 things aren't different, I can't see myself enjoying this one either. Perhaps I could live with no main quest, but I'll get tired of the game waaaaay faster.

32. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 16:40 ItBurn

But does it have the critical flaws that made me stop playing all the others after a couple of hours?  

News Comments > Arma 3 Next Month
13. Re: Arma 3 Next Month Aug 8, 2013, 11:23 ItBurn

I love the idea of Arma, but I don't like the missions. I want a game like Hidden and Dangerous. It had awesome missions. Go to a village and kill enemies isn't a mission...  

News Comments > On Beat Hazard Ultra's Success
11. Re: On Beat Hazard Ultra's Success Aug 6, 2013, 10:13 ItBurn

Dev wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 23:12:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 22:06:
Jealous again
You could always try and make a game

I did. Failed commercialy.

News Comments > On Beat Hazard Ultra's Success
3. Re: On Beat Hazard Ultra's Success Aug 5, 2013, 22:06 ItBurn

Jealous again  

News Comments > Betrayer Announced
24. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 17:03 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 16:35:
Okay, honestly? Stop fooling around with this stuff and make Shogo II already.

Hellz no, Remake of Blood 1.

News Comments > Betrayer Announced
18. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 14:53 ItBurn

I didn't ask for this...  

News Comments > Lighting Tech Demo Video
12. Re: Lighting Tech Demo Video Aug 1, 2013, 13:58 ItBurn

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 09:15:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 00:55:
If by "currently" you mean games before Battlefield 3... Frostbite 2 was pretty damn revolutionary ^^

And this tech was developed for Frostbite 2.. which is why BF3 and BF4 look alike. BF3 is already using it.

Other than the constant and massive lens flares (which I don't really consider lighting tech. More like a sprite overlay), I don't see what's so revolutionary about the lighting in BF3.

The first thing you remember about BF3 is lensflare (which is a gameplay restriction, not a graphics restriction)? Not GI and AO playable on a 3.000.000 polygon map with destruction, terrain deformation and vehicles with correct physics and properly lit indoor/outdoor transitions?

Technical Frostbite 2 blew most engines out of the water when it came out, and one of the reasons was it's superb lighting system , sadly ruined by the stupid color filters and dust layers they lay over everything.

I was talking about the lighting only. Not all of Frostbite. The lighting was definitely "proper" as you put it, but I wasn't impressed by it. I didn't even notice it.

News Comments > New S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat MISERY Mod
3. Re: New S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat MISERY Mod Jul 31, 2013, 20:49 ItBurn

These mods are our only chance for a sequel or a comparable game... F-ing love these games. Well, except Clear Skies.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:35 ItBurn

I don't know, the Giant bomb quick look looked much better than you guys make it out to be.  

10. Re: Lighting Tech Demo Video Jul 31, 2013, 11:50 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:46:
I can't remember the last time I was impressed by an engine technology like this. There's plenty of impressive looking games around but at this point (and with certain other gaming platforms weighing us down), the returns on faster hardware and new APIs is minimal. The quality of the art direction and the art its self matters so much more, whether you're going for gritty realism or something more stylised.

Things like coloured lighting! Transparent water! Real-time shadows! Translucent glass! Particle systems! All of them were cool when they were introduced and built on for the first few years but it seems like a long time since there's been anything like that and I don't expect anything to come along.

Perhaps it's not diminishing returns on hardware power, but my age. Perhaps I'm too old and ambient occlusion actually is as awesome as Quake 3's curved surfaces.

Games that use proper high res dynamic lighting and shadows are extremely rare. This kind of stuff is impressive, but you seldom see it. The only games that have it that come to mind are Doom 3 and FEAR 1. I think some modern games have it, but the resolution of it is terrible. That's the kind of stuff that I'd find impressive.

7. Re: Lighting Tech Demo Video Jul 31, 2013, 10:00 ItBurn

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 00:55:
If by "currently" you mean games before Battlefield 3... Frostbite 2 was pretty damn revolutionary ^^

And this tech was developed for Frostbite 2.. which is why BF3 and BF4 look alike. BF3 is already using it.

Other than the constant and massive lens flares (which I don't really consider lighting tech. More like a sprite overlay), I don't see what's so revolutionary about the lighting in BF3.

4. Re: Lighting Tech Demo Video Jul 30, 2013, 20:11 ItBurn

I can't tell if it's good or not... I guess that's good? I can't say I've been blown away by the lighting or that it actually looked better than what we currently have... which is unimpressive...  

916 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo