Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 872 (Graduate)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month; Preorder Discount
1. Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month; Preorder Discount Aug 19, 2013, 22:42 ItBurn

I super-loved Amnesia, but I have no interest in this one... They need to get a hold of my interest...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
39. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 14:08 ItBurn

Orogogus wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:45:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:35:
The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.

Well, that's hard to say. While complaints about tacked on game modes are often true, Star Control I was a multiplayer skirmish game, and then SC2 came out of nowhere with a great single player RPG. Wolfenstein 3D was obviously ready to go multiplayer as soon as the technology got there, and people seem to have enjoyed System Shock 2's co-op well enough.

There have absolutely been hybrids where both modes were awesome(I'm thinking the build engine games), but I can't help to think of what "could" have been.

36. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:35 ItBurn

The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.  

News Comments > 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned
11. Re: 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned Aug 19, 2013, 11:47 ItBurn

LesCaster wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:42:
Dagnamit wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:20:
in other news, games that involve programming computers might only be fun for computer programmers...

Really?

So, games that involve warfare might only be fun to military personnel?
Games that involve racing might only be fun for race car drivers?
Games that involve city building might only be fun for civil engineers?

I'm noticing a problem with your assumptions.

I agree that programming-lite can be fun for everyone, but honestly, nowadays, having two different directions you can walk to is too complex for most gamers :p

20. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:24 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 11:09:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:51:
The X games are in no way mainstream... I'm not saying they're not profitable, but they're made for a small section of the hardcore gamer population... Sure, lots of people like them... All I said is that a lot of other sandbox games have that "spark" that X lacks, for me. If you don't like X, it doesn't mean you don't like sandbox games.

X3 has it's share of problems, but most of them are a result of engine limitations. There were simply things that the AI could not do that the player could and the fact the games were using the same engine since X-BTF really began to hinder them once Terran Conflict came out.

I just don't agree that the key to a great sandbox experience is hand-holding. Yes, the tutorial sucked. I freely admit it. And yes, some mechanics were downright odd. Still, the game had more options and ways to make it in the universe than any other game of it's type out there.

For a sandbox game to be good, doesn't mean you have to have a forced plot and unlocks tied exclusively to that plot. Which is what they are doing in Rebirth. It will still likely be a great game, but I'm not happy with a single ship that you can never change in appearance and a linear plot with a linear upgrade path for said ship.

I absolutely in no way ever said that good sandbox games need hand holding!!! You misunderstood.

15. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 11:01 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:59:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:51:
The X games are in no way mainstream... I'm not saying they're not profitable, but they're made for a small section of the hardcore gamer population... Sure, lots of people like them... All I said is that a lot of other sandbox games have that "spark" that X lacks, for me. If you don't like X, it doesn't mean you don't like sandbox games.

I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that if you personally don't like the X games, that doesn't mean that

A) Most people don't like them
B) There are no incentives to play it.

I fully understand that it's not a game for everyone. It doesn't hold your hand (though apparently Rebirth is going to do a much better job of introducing everything through story missions), everything is basically activated right from the start (with the one exception of Khaak capital ships, but that's solely because the AI can't kill them, and they didn't want all their sectors being wiped out by the Khaak right at the bat), and it does basically say "Here's a massive universe. Do what you want," which can be pretty overwhelming.

But that's due to personal preference, not really any fundamental flaw with the game itself. Egosoft means it when they say "we make a universe. You get to decide what you want to do it." Lots of people love that, others don't.

I think the X series genuinely qualifies as a "sandbox", rather than most open-world games where things are still structured to an extent.

I agree with everything, BUT, I do think that most people don't like them :p

6. Re: 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned Aug 19, 2013, 10:57 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:55:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:51:
That sucks, I was looking forward to it. What does he mean by "small games"? It's not like that was going to be AAA. Sounds like it didn't turn out like he wanted and he got basically depressed and decided never to attempt something challenging ever again... Hope I'm reading this wrong :p I haven't actually watched the thing.

Didn't this game involve hundreds of planets to explore?
That's not all that "small."

I doubt that what he meant was "small game worlds"...

12. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 10:51 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 10:39:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:55:
The X games have never been engaging to me, and most people either. It's hard to put the finger on why that is. I think it might be the lack of direction and incentives.

Yeah, that's not the way it is for "most people", seeing as how Egosoft sells several million copies of each iteration. And those millions of people have no problem with X not being engaging, or with your perceived "lack of incentives."

InBlack wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:58:
Thats not the point, the point being that the games in question had some of the worst unintuitive design and were user unfriendly and buggy to boot. You didnt even have the chance to 'sandbox' before being lost in all the intricate crap the games bombarded you with.

Yeah, again, not really. You absolutely have every chance to "sandbox" before you get bombarded with crap. The universe is actually moving without you, so this "crap" you are referring to is just things happening inside the universe. It doesn't just spawn a few stations and ships just as you happen to come across them. That's kind of the whole big selling point of the X series.

As for buggy, sure. X3 especially was terrible at launch, but their day 1 patch fixed the most egregious problems. Most open-world games of this scale tend to have issues with them.

6. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 09:55 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:30:
nin wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:23:
Techie714 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:18:
I always wanted to get into the X games but every time I booted up I was like "Ok what the hell do I do now?"

Exactly.

I always thought that the point of sandbox games was that you do whatever the hell you felt like doing. There is no 'right way' to start. Why does that scare people? You're supposed to discover stuff.

Trust me, there are engaging sandbox games and ones that aren't. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl was great / STALKER: Clear Skies sucked. Pirates of the Carribean was great / Age of pirates - Carribean tales sucked. Etc... The X games have never been engaging to me, and most people either. It's hard to put the finger on why that is. I think it might be the lack of direction and incentives.

1. Re: 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned Aug 19, 2013, 09:51 ItBurn

That sucks, I was looking forward to it. What does he mean by "small games"? It's not like that was going to be AAA. Sounds like it didn't turn out like he wanted and he got basically depressed and decided never to attempt something challenging ever again... Hope I'm reading this wrong :p I haven't actually watched the thing.  

News Comments > Hero of the Kingdom and Demo Released
3. Re: Hero of the Kingdom and Demo Released Aug 18, 2013, 15:27 ItBurn

It's a clicking simulator.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Steam Preloads
1. Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 16, 2013, 21:53 ItBurn

I know it's just a glorified DLC, but I'd love to play it.  

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
14. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 19:27 ItBurn

PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:24:
So we had Dead Island which was extraordinarily rough but nonetheless fun, Riptide which took forever to release while bringing nothing new whatsoever to Dead Island, that medieval demon game with assets straight from Dead Island, and now this one which looks... remarkably like Dead Island.

Keep broadening those horizons, Techland.

What surprise me is how they can do all this with the money from Dead Island. Did it really sell that well?

News Comments > GTA Online Trailer
43. Re: GTA Online Trailer Aug 15, 2013, 22:54 ItBurn

I'll play it on PC when it's released. I don't want to play the 2008 version of GTA V...  

News Comments > Diablo Tease
3. Re: Diablo Tease Aug 14, 2013, 10:50 ItBurn

Xero wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 10:35:
InBlack wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 10:07:
Less cartoon, more horror, less pandering, more gameplay, less bullshit, more skill trees and Im back. Otherwise Blizzard fuck off back to WoWlalalcandyland....assholes.

YES! If Blizz can pull a 180 spin on the game and pull it out of the grave it's so deeply sunk into, it may call me back. I want, more gore! More darkness! No more cheese filled story with horrid acting, and please, remove the damn auction house! All we wanted was D2 with updated graphics practically! Was that so much to ask for???!!

Good for someone else to ask for skill trees. If they add that, or something that feels like it, in, I'm sold.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Confirmed?
3. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 08:49 ItBurn

That would be ultra badass. I wouldn't be surprised either, seeing the massive spam on every Rockstar post about a PC version.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 12, 2013, 11:46 ItBurn

Wow, duck tales is truly a love it or hate it game. No reviews between 80 and 60.  

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
73. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 12, 2013, 10:13 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:47:
Pyremes wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 04:12:
I believe there was enemy leveling based on your combat rank, which rises as you kill things (and is not tied to how powerful your ship is). If you sit around idle for a long time (say, leave your computer on overnight so that your autotraders can make you your fortune), the combat rank drops.

And that only makes a difference in "Kill" missions. You can be a total newb or Elite Plus Plus Plus in combat rank, and there will still be roughly the same kinds of enemies in a hardcore pirate sector. And that pirate M4 is still just an M4. It didn't somehow magically transform in a MurderDeathFortress like it would in Freelancer.

I think that you're wrong about freelancer. Areas had a static level of difficulty and missions had a difficulty level, so you knew how hard it was going to be. I don't think there was any scaling at all. I played the game a LOT.

News Comments > Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding
2. Re: Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding Aug 11, 2013, 13:41 ItBurn

Why would people go with indiegogo instead of Kickstarter? Kickstarter is a lot more popular.  

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
66. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 ItBurn

InBlack wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 10:01:
I think Chris Roberts just shat himself. But then again, he already has your cash so....

Why would he "shit" himself? The only thing "better" about X is the fact that you'll be able to build stuff. Everything about Star Citizen looks better. Or do you mean that X is farther along the development line and that's a reason for one to shit himself?

872 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo