Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bruno Beaudoin

Real Name Bruno Beaudoin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ItBurn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.blazingbitgames.com
Signed On Mar 8, 2011, 17:00
Total Comments 918 (Graduate)
User ID 56211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: Morning Screenshots Dec 11, 2013, 09:38 ItBurn

I think they forgot to add textures to that dinosaur thing in the ESO screenshots...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
19. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 18:28 ItBurn

What? I don't know what you guys have been smoking.

Star Citizen is made by a large team and a lot of them are veterans of the industry that have released top quality games in the past and know how things work. I don't even know why you dragged SC into this, get a better hobby than being negative about this particular random thing in the world.

This game is made by a handful of young indie devs. I saw the interview with the devs at the VGX yesterday and I wasn't filled with confidence that they had the required experience, money, talent and numbers. The amount of features that we saw in the (very scripted)video would be too much for a lot of AAA studios.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
9. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 15:26 ItBurn

Looks extremely cool, but it's way too big of a project for some indie devs.  

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
14. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 14:40 ItBurn

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 14:34:
saluk wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 14:24:
After trying to for a while, I just can't get behind these TRUE sandbox games. Let's throw a bunch of random objects in the bin, okay, have fun kids! No I'm not going to sit and draw some tiles around to make my house look pretty for 5 hours. But I see the appeal for others, and this looks like it pushes forward a bit more. It's been fun to watch some of the streams.

Yea I don't get that house stuff either. I make a big hole in the ground with an elevator and then each level has chests to store various types of loot. So 10 chests per level and have the following levels as examples: weapons, armour, resources, potions, etc

Well, if this is anything like Terraria, building your house isn't really the focus. It's about building a shelter to have peace and quiet while you explore the world and come back to store your loot. Terraria is about combat and exploration.

In minecraft though, building is a more important part. You're very vulnerable, so you need proper shelter. Also, stuff you build or caves you dig have a huge impact on gameplay and ease of movement. It's a lot more rewarding and fun to build because it really affects the gameplay. Also, you can build much more interesting things than in a 2D game...

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
8. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 12:05 ItBurn

I'd really like to play it, which means that I don't want to play the buggy, unbalanced and incomplete version of it... I'll wait for release.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
79. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 13:07 ItBurn

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:57:
The kickstarter finished at $2m, 4x what they asked for - what panbient said. Anyway, panbient says the game will probably be delayed and in response, you imply that it might well be delayed ... so why's he talking shit?

It seems illogical to criticise the people urging caution of having unrealistic expectations.

Wow, you didn't know? The kickstarter was started waaay after the actual crowdfunding started on the game's website. They got a lot more money from their site's kickstarter and also asked for more. The Kickstarter had a really low funding amount because they still wanted to get the money. Everyone had already pledged through the main site, so they were afraid not enough would be left for the kickstarter(my interpretation). Their initial crowdfunding run, including the kickstarter, got way more than 2 mil and their initial goal was also more than 2 mil.

Haven't you guys been paying any attention to this???

77. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:56 ItBurn

DG wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 12:38:
Confused about this - there's a lot of people really looking forward to this game but I can't fathom how it is possible to have $1,000 ships which can be both value for money and reasonably balanced for everyone else?

They aren't value for money. Well, they're pretty rare, so in a way it may be, but it's all about supporting the game.

74. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 11:37 ItBurn

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:30:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:19:
Their team is very close to the fans on the forums, in weekly videos, on their site and even in cons. They're making the game with us, this isn't an investor backed AAA game with all these rules are regulations. Stick around the community, there's amazing amounts of discussion between it and the devs.

None of this is good for actual product development. It's great for PR, not for actual development.

I disagree... People voice opinions, there's constant feedback, testing and bug reports done by the community and there's debate.

But yeah, it's PR. We basically are their bosses, so they need to cater to us and make us happy. In AAA development houses, there are videos, meetings and demos geared towards management all the time, so that the dev team can "sell" their ideas to the people who fund them. This is similar, but with us.

72. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 11:19 ItBurn

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 11:10:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 10:34:
Their original plan wasn't 2mil. Investors would have more than doubled that number. The crowdfunding was basically a way for investors to get confidence in the market. Now though, investors are no longer required.

Then why is the initial funding goal on the RSI site $2 million? How does the fact that initial investors provided more than expected negate the original target?

You're just making conclusions on a project that you aren't actually following. Their team is very close to the fans on the forums, in weekly videos, on their site and even in cons. They're making the game with us, this isn't an investor backed AAA game with all these rules are regulations. Stick around the community, there's amazing amounts of discussion between it and the devs.

68. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 10:34 ItBurn

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 10:27:
InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:52:
You are of course reffering to CR's statement that most of the funding goals were known well in advance and that the project management plan took all of that in account with regards to how the money will be allocated. In other words they were always planning to build this kind of game if they could secure the funding. Excuse me if some of us take that with a grain of salt.

Agreed. And for me this jives even less. If these stretch goals were already planned then what was the purpose of the original $2M product pitch? What would have happened if that's all the funding they could have secured? Would the product have simply evaporated due to the lack of funding for the bigger picture version? Why rely on the community to choose the latest features if they were already planned?

Again, I'm not calling this a scam. I do believe the intentions are pure. But every one of these announcements about more funding and new goals just sounds like another technical risk being added to the pile and increasing the chances for catastrophe. Regardless of the claims I don't get the feeling these stretch goals were actually planned ahead of time, they all sound like reactions to unexpected / unprecedented community support.

Basically it seems like this massive support has created a situation where RSI is now pitching how much they can attempt rather than how much they can accomplish. This is not necessarily negative, or a forecast for failure, just something that most people who've dealt with a creative industry have learned to be cautious about. Couple that with the fact that MS had to step in so that we still wouldn't be waiting for Freelancer today and you can probably understand why some of us older nerds are still on the fence about tossing our disposable income onto the money mountain.

Their original plan wasn't 2mil. Investors would have more than doubled that number. The crowdfunding was basically a way for investors to get confidence in the market. Now though, investors are no longer required.

Also, Chris has repeatedly adressed the feature creep concerns and also, the last bunch of stretch goals haven't added new features. Well they added more ships, but this is basically nothing and probably already planned.

You guys are just being negative. No one knows if this will be what we want, but the signs say hell yes. I think that the proper stance to take is being cautiously optimistic rather than your pessimistic stance.

66. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 10:25 ItBurn

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 10:21:
Read up on the development of Freelancer. I disagree about it being an amazing game, but thats beside the point. In short, Microsoft took CR off the Freelancer project because of 'development hell' problems.

I did, that's why I said what I said.

64. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 10:01 ItBurn

InBlack wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:52:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:21:
panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:17:
Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 23:52:
It's generally understood that there is not necessarily an inverse relationship between the amount of funding available for a project and the amount of time that project takes to advance.

That's why I specified the 'original' product concept. The difference being I'm seeing them expand the scope of their project rather than adding onto the original plan. Not necessarily a bad thing, just exponentially riskier.

Here's the issue from my perspective. Anyone worth supporting in a kickstarter / crowdfunding situation needs to have a clearly defined and achievable goal. Otherwise you are literally investing in hype. That core product concept needs to be solid and focused.

A year ago RSI started a pitch for what sounded like a small, focused, space game with great potential for expanding into absolute greatness. The community heard it too and supported them beyond their expectations. How is it the game they planned to make for $2 million can't be shown even as a beta when they've gotten well over 15 times more funding? And I don't mean some module either, I mean the original product they pitched last year, the one they said only needed $2 million to be made.

For me that's a major concern. It shows that RSI chose to expand their original vision rather than building on top of a focused core. The fact that their latest stretch 'goal' is all about letting the community decide leads me to believe they've run out of ideas and either don't want (or know) how to stop the seemingly out of control funding machine.

There's probably a good reason why no one else is trying to bite off as much as this company is trying to chew.

Your argument is built on wrong information.

You are of course reffering to CR's statement that most of the funding goals were known well in advance and that the project management plan took all of that in account with regards to how the money will be allocated. In other words they were always planning to build this kind of game if they could secure the funding. Excuse me if some of us take that with a grain of salt.

Even if what CR said is taken at face value (highly improbable that he expected this kind of feedback and scope) I highly doubt that a project of this scale and magnitude can be done in the timeframe promised by Digital Anvil.

Dont get me wrong, Im sure that CR means well. He also meant well when he started on Freelancer, look what happened there. George Brussard also meant well with Duke Nukem Forever...

What do you mean by what happened to Freelancer? We got an amazing game?

Chris wanted to make Freelancer better than Freelancer was. Even though it was already great. With Star Citizen, he can actually do what he wants. The plan is to keep improving the game constantly, even after it's released. So, we won't be seeing all the features in the first release, but we'll get there. This is in no way new info. It has been stated repeatedly by Chris.

62. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 09:28 ItBurn

MyRealName wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:25:
"Seems" is key in your statement; you're missing my point. I'm not saying space isn't exploration or only first person "trudging" is. They both are, and since the people voted that they wanted to explore first and foremost, as many forms of exploration as are possible should be included. We have done the "I'm a ship!" type of floating in black gliding up to things followed by "interacting" with them (by shooting them) for decades. It IS old, and boring, and it's time that developers step up and take the experience to the next level.

What is the point in going to new locations if you can't do anything one you get there? Who the heck wouldn't want to park their ship on a strange, unexplored planet and get out and do stuff?

Freelancer had pretty great exploration.

As for SC, they'll take cues from Freelancer and I've heard in one of the Wingman's Hangar episodes that you can discover derelict/empty ships and actually board them and find out what happened. I'm thinking fps battles with aliens or something.

60. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 09:21 ItBurn

panbient wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 09:17:
Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 23:52:
It's generally understood that there is not necessarily an inverse relationship between the amount of funding available for a project and the amount of time that project takes to advance.

That's why I specified the 'original' product concept. The difference being I'm seeing them expand the scope of their project rather than adding onto the original plan. Not necessarily a bad thing, just exponentially riskier.

Here's the issue from my perspective. Anyone worth supporting in a kickstarter / crowdfunding situation needs to have a clearly defined and achievable goal. Otherwise you are literally investing in hype. That core product concept needs to be solid and focused.

A year ago RSI started a pitch for what sounded like a small, focused, space game with great potential for expanding into absolute greatness. The community heard it too and supported them beyond their expectations. How is it the game they planned to make for $2 million can't be shown even as a beta when they've gotten well over 15 times more funding? And I don't mean some module either, I mean the original product they pitched last year, the one they said only needed $2 million to be made.

For me that's a major concern. It shows that RSI chose to expand their original vision rather than building on top of a focused core. The fact that their latest stretch 'goal' is all about letting the community decide leads me to believe they've run out of ideas and either don't want (or know) how to stop the seemingly out of control funding machine.

There's probably a good reason why no one else is trying to bite off as much as this company is trying to chew.

Your argument is built on wrong information.

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 23:33 ItBurn

Cabezone wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 20:52:
Procedurally generating worlds as complicated as a AAA title like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim would need some sort of advanced AI to make work. Otherwise you're limited to very simple graphics.

I personally think that procedurally generated worlds could look just as good as hand crafted ones. With today's tech, if someone actually took time to write a good algorithm, we could come up with amazing things. We could also use procedural tech to generate things like dynamic and complex quests and even unique npcs. Daggerfall tried, and it was a major achievement for the time. Now it looks kinda dumb, but things have advanced and it's my opinion that we could make it light years better.

Torchlight 2 has some pretty amazing procedurally generated levels. It boggles the mind sometimes.

I actually made a Morrowind mod that generated random cells back in the day. All I had was the shitty scripting system and it still turned out pretty good.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur
1. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 26, 2013, 21:14 ItBurn

I haven't played it, but from everything I read, it seems that Amalur is basically taking mmo tropes into a single player game... no thanks. MMO gameplay exists because of the limited possibilities of massively online tech, not because it's good.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
62. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 18:12 ItBurn

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:07:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 17:20:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Star Citizen is "everything" like Freelancer.

Squadron 42 sounds closer to what you want.
No, Freelancer was a crappy third-person casual space game with awkward cutscenes thrown in. SC goes back to the cockpit-centric style of Starlancer and Wing Commander, where you still have off-ship activities but flying is the core strength. S42 is definitely going to be interesting but I like the variety that SC is going to offer.

As I said, SC looks nothing like Freelancer.

Um... The sole fact that you're in or out of the cockpit doesn't make it a completely different game to me... But whatever. I do prefer "in cockpit"

58. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 17:20 ItBurn

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 17:16:
Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 16:26:
Chris Roberts has made one or two in his time ya know.
Exactly. Starlancer and the Wing Commander games (especially III, IV and Prophecy) defined the genre and given everything I've seen of SC it looks to be taking the right approach (i.e. nothing like Freelancer).

It's great to see a game like this receive so much support, especially given that the genre has been largely ignored by publishers. This game represents the best chance of reviving the genre, hence why it is the most successful crowdfunded game ever.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Star Citizen is "everything" like Freelancer.

Squadron 42 sounds closer to what you want.

53. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 16:12 ItBurn

Echelon Wind Warriors published by Bethesda. Anyone played that? It sure had flaws, but I loved the flight physics.  

918 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo