Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2958 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
15. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 6, 2015, 21:48 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 21:25:
If you skip dialogue and such in Skyrim, no detours, the "main" quest is apparently completable in 3-4 hours. I never completed it - so I have no idea if that's true (maybe some of you know), but that's what a lot of my personal friends that beat it say anyways.

Speculating here - but what if its the same structure. So maybe if you don't wander around and distract yourself, 5-10 hours to complete main in FO4 (FO3 is apparently 10-12)? Rest is distraction, building houses, and leveling all over like Skyrim (Skyrim also lets you play the game after the "main" part is done).

Basically Beth fills their game with "filler" to make up for short play time.

The "filler" is the game. You're missing the entire point of what they do if you truly believe that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
12. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 6, 2015, 20:29 jacobvandy

For comparison, they changed it so there's no level cap in Skyrim, either... But there comes a point where your skills are maxed out and you are unable to level anymore, unless you "prestige" a skill and raise it up again. I'd say there's a good chance you'll run into a similar soft cap in FO4, and by "no level cap" they just mean there's no arbitrary limit like 20 or 50 or 100.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Compete(TM)
2. Re: Blizzard's Compete(TM) Aug 5, 2015, 14:55 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 09:54:
Maybe, maybe not. There are tons of these for Warcraft expansions which turn out to be duds.

What, trademarks for e-sports web apps?

News Comments > The Crew: Wild Run Trailer
1. Re: The Crew: Wild Run Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 14:44 jacobvandy

The off-road stuff is some of the most fun in this game, so I might actually want to pick up a monster truck DLC.

BTW, does anyone know if they actually fixed the multiplayer? I tried to play with friends multiple times in the months following release, and there was always a problem with friend invites and the party system... Otherwise it may as well have been a completely single-player experience for me, the "MMO" elements are a waste.

News Comments > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Expansion
5. Re: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Expansion Aug 5, 2015, 12:57 jacobvandy

Lol, add mine to the list of near-grabbers this morning.  

News Comments > Diablo III 2.3 Preview
13. Re: Diablo III 2.3 Preview Aug 5, 2015, 04:35 jacobvandy

I'm honestly surprised they're not saving this patch's contents for a paid expansion... Makes me wonder what else they have in store.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser Aug 3, 2015, 19:25 jacobvandy

Well, they did say "no space battles," but if you ever played any Rogue Squadron games you know there is plenty of room for aerial action planetside.  

News Comments > The Witcher III Patch Notes
4. Re: The Witcher III Patch Notes Jul 31, 2015, 20:25 jacobvandy

That's the case with myself and a lot of other people who only started getting into the Witcher with the second game... It's a little jarring to have Yen be this hugely important character, and then expect me to feel bad about hooking up with Triss when I had no idea she even existed, lol. On the forums it seems people who read the books are all "Team Yen" and the majority of people who've just played the games (and probably missed Witcher 1) are "Team Triss."

Oh, and protip: don't try to have your cake and eat it, too.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Event Next Weekend
2. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Event Next Weekend Jul 31, 2015, 17:53 jacobvandy

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've gone 6+ months without playing, friends of mine have gone more than a year, and nobody has been banned just for that.  

News Comments > ZOMBI Announced
5. Re: ZOMBI Announced Jul 30, 2015, 22:20 jacobvandy

It has great reviews... But soon we find out if that means it's great in general, or just great for the Wii-U.  

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
12. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Jul 30, 2015, 18:09 jacobvandy

CythrawL wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 16:51:
Oh, what sad times are these when passing gamers wont pay $20 for a well crafted fun game..

Amen, brother. The matches last only 5 minutes, but I dare anyone to try and stop after only one, two, or twenty once you're rolling with a good team or private match full of friends. Hours of joy and adrenaline roll by, making the cost of a cheap date seem almost too good of a deal.

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
6. Re: Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans Jul 30, 2015, 15:38 jacobvandy

Alamar wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 14:52:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 13:27:
LOL they didn't sell 5 million units they have had their game downloaded 5 million times... it's a free game this month on PSN!

While true, if they're getting money from Sony for being part of PS+, which I can't imagine they're not, it's still a sale, and no different than all the other companies boasting about their huge sales as a result of sub $1 profit per sale from bundles ; )

Exactly. It's free to subscribers (which means you are paying somewhere), but that doesn't mean the devs are giving them away.

Seeing the success, though, they might be wishing they hadn't done that lol... I'm guessing Sony says "we'll pay you $XXX to let us offer your game for free for a month" and these guys agree thinking they'd only see like 10k downloads. Then it becomes a smash hit and suddenly 2-3 million copies were "sold" for that same flat rate, so it's really more of a sub 1 cent profit per copy.

Of course, it may also be the case that Sony pays out a per-download rate for PS+ "free" games, but that sounds too good to be true.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 30, 2015, 13:02 jacobvandy

Because it was hand painted and textured that way, which you could also do to your store-bought one. Though I guess the type of plastic you use to print things with might also make a difference.  

News Comments > Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed
5. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 28, 2015, 19:43 jacobvandy

This patch can't come soon enough for me... The last couple 2.x's have been pretty decent, but the Cube, the removal of grift trials, and Torment X are all game-changers. Plus a new zone! This is stuff they'd be justified charging for, but they're not.

The Pyro wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 19:15:
Still haven't tried PoE because the F2P aspect turns me off... I want to try Diablo 3 but Blizzard almost never puts their stuff on sale. I'd drop $20 on it easily, but I'm not curious enough for $40.

Sorry, but it being F2P is not among the valid reasons to not want to play Path of Exile. There are no restrictions, no gameplay-altering boosts for sale or daily login rewards to enforce addiction. You have more storage tabs and character slots to start with than Diablo 3, with the ability to purchase more if you want. Literally everything else is cosmetic. It shouldn't even be called F2P because it doesn't fit in that genre at all... It's just free. A huge, well-made, free game.

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
35. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 16:25 jacobvandy

panbient wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 15:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 15:12:
With that being said, I'm not convinced removing skills would really be a bad thing. If everything relies on your SPECIAL stats, and leveling provides you with one or a few perk point(s) each ding to progress through an expanded perk tree, all you've really done is remove the arbitrary requirement that you must have hacked 100 easy systems before you can hack medium ones, or used a pistol for 3 hours before you can use a rifle. Why should that matter if I rolled my character to be super intelligent and/or agile from the beginning?

I'll admit I haven't played F3 in years but I don't remember skill grind like that (or did they change it in NV?). Elder Scrolls? For sure. Jump everywhere to get super athletics etc. But from what I remember it was always just allocate more points until you've got a decent success chance in whatever skill. That's not grind just point allocation on level up (based on INT).

Though lock picking / hacking being tied to 25% increments with not even a 1% chance of success unless you had X minimum was lame.

Not directly grind like in TES, no, but the gating is effectively the same. You're stuck on whatever threshold until you put in enough time to get past it. But thank you for reminding me about another thing, INT affecting how many skill points you got made that a near-mandatory stat to crank up, which is a bad influence on character creation. Also, that's another tidbit of evidence for the absence of skills in FO4 -- the description for INT when they were showing that screen of the Pip-boy didn't mention them.

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
30. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 15:12 jacobvandy

ItBurn wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 14:54:
Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 14:48:
harlock wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 13:46:
it looks like a few steps removed from F3, which was already mediocre at best..

so, fuck it i guess.. probly still play it at some point, but i doubt it will be very good

the pre-made character is pretty much the only thing you need to know, not to mention no skills (a disturbing trend in AAA rpgs these days), and very limited dialogs .. its the complete death of everything "fallout"

Wait they took out the skill system and chargen?

Yeah, these are lies. There are skills and char gen. I saw the char gen myself in a video. I didn't see the skill screen, but of course there will be skills.

There's actually more evidence to there not being skills anymore, such as the absence of a 'Skills' tab in the Pip-boy menu and things like 'Science' being represented with tiered 1-5 requirements for crafting (the theory being you take a Science perk now, potentially multiple times). They stated at QuakeCon that perk requirements are tied to SPECIAL stats instead of levels, meaning creating a character with a high INT or whatever will open up advanced perks of that type from the start; as far as I know, skills were never mentioned in that discussion.

With that being said, I'm not convinced removing skills would really be a bad thing. If everything relies on your SPECIAL stats, and leveling provides you with one or a few perk point(s) each ding to progress through an expanded perk tree, all you've really done is remove the arbitrary requirement that you must have hacked 100 easy systems before you can hack medium ones, or used a pistol for 3 hours before you can use a rifle. Why should that matter if I rolled my character to be super intelligent and/or agile from the beginning?

"But Fallout is supposed to have skill grind!" is not a good argument... In fact it was the skill grind that allowed you to become more or less a jack of all trades eventually, whereas having things tied to SPECIAL stats will preclude you from doing so (assuming they don't let you max all of those out). Objectively, it should be BETTER for role-playing in this role-playing game.

News Comments > Mount & Blade Sells 6M; Sequel Showing at Gamescom
2. Re: Mount & Blade Sells 6M; Sequel Showing at Gamescom Jul 27, 2015, 20:47 jacobvandy

ShakyJake wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 19:15:
I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I loved Warband but the lack of news on this sequel ever since it was announced so long ago has been worrying.

Why worry? They said they're working on a sequel, they've blogged about different aspects of it several times, what's wrong with them keeping to themselves for a while? Not everyone is interested in dealing with all the bullshit that comes with an open development process. I'm curious where the expectation of transparency comes from.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2015, 19:15 jacobvandy

Since the way they worded it is misleading... it's Ouya's CEO departing, not Razer's. And if they only bought the software, they [wisely] are not having anything to do with the hardware. Technically, whatever remains of Ouya is not even on the hook for anything to do with the Kickstarter, so tough luck for anyone who still hasn't gotten what they wanted out of that. You made it happen, folks! But it still flopped. Spilled milk and all that.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jul 27, 2015, 12:21 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 10:29:
Since we know valve takes 30% we can extrapolate total size of the gaming market on steam.

End result: $2.4bn

That puts things into perspective...

Selling games through the store is not the only way they make money, though. The first line of the article states that DOTA 2, CS:GO, and TF2 alone are responsible for over $400m of that, and it goes on to $1.5 billion being the estimate for total Steam revenue in 2014. The $730M figure comes from using those two rough guesses to calculate an even rougher one.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2015, 12:28.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2015, 12:12 jacobvandy

So... I found out last night that Netflix is showing ads now. It was for one of their new original shows, played when simply trying to access the page for one of their other ones (i.e. not when actually trying to view any episodes). What the fuck.  

2958 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo