Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2865 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 19:19 jacobvandy

ASeven wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 16:11:
With the Hulk Hogan trial case drawing closer, Gawker, and its affiliate Kotaku, may be soon bankrupted out of existence and not a single tear will be shed for these assholes.

It'd be some pretty beautiful irony if desperately reaching for notoriety -- just like they do on a daily basis with their myriad digital tabloids -- is what ultimately destroys them.

Expect more gory details on that whole fiasco to finally come out in the next few months... Gawker doing what they did and having to pay for it is just icing on the cake. This trial is going to expose the douchebag who actually stole the tape and gave it to them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Alpha Signups
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Alpha Signups Jun 26, 2015, 15:34 jacobvandy

Yeah, all the gaming news sites are getting this wrong.

You can't just go there and sign up, people were getting invitations based on being on their newsletter mailing list or some such. It seems that if you were not selected by them already, you are not eligible to submit an application for the closed alpha.

News Comments > Bombshell E3 Trailer; Game Playable at QuakeCon
4. Re: Bombshell E3 Trailer; Game Playable at QuakeCon Jun 26, 2015, 14:01 jacobvandy

Rigs wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 13:02:
fawker wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:56:
meh

+1

Wasn't this originally a Duke game they were doing and they just changed it a little? I seem to remember reading something like that earlier...

=-Rigs-=

That does sound familiar. They should have just pitch-corrected Duke Nukem lines for their heroine, it'd probably turn out better. Rotfl

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 12:51 jacobvandy

ldonyo wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:06:
Pre-orders and day 1 sales are not remotely similar. Pre-orders are from people that decided they're going to get a game on the first day and are willing to pay for it in advance of that game's release, sometimes over a year in advance. These pre-orders mean that a publisher can count that money before the game ever ships and gives them no incentive to make sure the game is playable on release day.

Pre-orders from retailers are not charged until you get your product, and pre-ordering on Steam is self-refundable until the moment it unlocks. So counting on that money and calling it a day is hardly prudent. Even after that, a game that was so egregiously broken on release was still refunded en masse by Steam, since BEFORE they implemented the 2-hour refund-for-any-reason policy. I believe that graduates the notion from "not prudent" to downright foolhardy.

To say a high volume of pre-orders gives them some extra breathing room, taking a little of the pressure off making sure everything is absolutely perfect for release, has some merit. But to say it absolves them of any further obligation, seriously? Avoiding the shit-storm that ensues upon releasing an even moderately ill-received product alone is PLENTY of incentive to remain on course and follow through.

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
24. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 12:33 jacobvandy

Simon Says wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 12:24:
Bullshit, quick search for a pirated version turned out positive. Its already cracked. And I'm not surprised.

And you tried it yourself to confirm it works flawlessly? The presence of game files on torrent site isn't proof that it's been cracked. Groups try to be "first," even if they have to tell you to wait for a crack to be able to play it. The same thing happened with GTA V.

22. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 12:24 jacobvandy

Kajetan wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:59:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:21:
A month of no piracy for a new release is worth a fortune to publishers, that's why it's the hot new thing.
There is no proof at all, that the non-availability of a copy has a positive effect on sales. Nor the opposite. Denuvo is just a tool to convince shareholders that you will do anything to protect your business. It doesnt really matter if a DRM system works or not. Its all about sending a message to the shareholders.

Theres a lot of evidence, that piracy has only a very minor influence on sales, be it positve or negatve.

Btw. ...

Lords of the Fallen is registered, according to Steamspy, to roughly 200k accounts. With Denuvo.
The special Edition of Dark Souls 2, the same number. Without Denuvo. Dark Souls 2, Vanilla Edition. 1 mio. Without Denuvo.
Dark Souls 1, nearly 2 mio. Without Denuvo.

There are other factors, which determine the commercial success of a game. DRM or no DRM isnt one of them.

*GASP*

You mean to say that a crappy knock-off of Dark Souls sold fewer copies than the real deal? You're right, the DRM really doesn't matter! Rolleyes

14. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 11:21 jacobvandy

You don't just crack Denuvo once and it's never a problem again. The way it's designed means the implementation for each game has to be cracked individually, and it usually takes about a month. A month of no piracy for a new release is worth a fortune to publishers, that's why it's the hot new thing.  

News Comments > Portal Stories: Mel Released
10. Re: Portal Stories: Mel Released Jun 25, 2015, 23:15 jacobvandy

fds wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 16:45:
Okay, so this is a “community made” mod, with the developer marked as Prism Studios, not something officially done by Valve themselves. Reading Blue's original story didn't make that clear to me.

If Valve had made it, it wouldn't be called a mod.

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
29. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 25, 2015, 20:20 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 17:39:
Kajetan wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 17:10:
saluk wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 14:05:
Sadly the result may be, let's just not release on pc at all because it's too easy for people to get refunds.
No, it wont be.

Only the worst of the worst releases risk being a commercial failure because of too much refunds. And thats exactly the business practice we dont want to see anymore on the PC. Anyone else ... when your game is not a complete desaster, you dont have to fear refunds. In fact, people are now being able to take more risks. In the end, with refunds people will spend MORE than without. It is a proven policy in other industry sectors, it will be in the games industry.

Well, lets actually be honest here. Let be really, really clear: A HUGE PART OF THIS FIASCO is the typical PC community cry-baby motherfucking whining. "I want a great looking game to run great on my 2+ years old rig!". Let it be known that the game is gorgeous -- is this mentioned anywhere? The amount of detail is crazy amazing. People with a killer GPU and SSD run this game smoothly too (me too I expect if I redownload it). So is it really such a fiasco? Lets get our feet on the ground and chew on it for a minute... Because, fuck me, the game is gorgeous.

In the days before refunds, this would've been a period of whining.. then a patch.. then everybody happy. Today it's people going crazy, a company getting hit so hard it falls to its knees, and a patch that makes everybody happy except for the company who's rep is raped.

I just don't like this.

They literally recommended 2-year-old hardware for this game, the GeForce GTX 760. Isn't looking great and running great what "Recommended System Requirements" are supposed to represent? Even people with better hardware than that are/were still having issues.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 25, 2015, 20:04 jacobvandy

Parias wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 17:50:
Cool, glad multiplayer has been a consideration at least. I know focus for Fallout should be on the singleplayer experience with the limited time and resources they have, but with the diverse skill trees I've had a lot of dreams about one day doing co-op play in these games.

I wonder whatever happened to that multiplayer mod someone was making for Skyrim?

The most progress has actually been made by a new mod someone's been putting together for the last few weeks. Still buggy and unwieldy as hell, but he got an entity in the game that is mirroring the movements of someone else also playing it.

News Comments > Dying Light XP Boost & Free DLC Plans
1. Re: Dying Light XP Boost & Free DLC Plans Jun 25, 2015, 14:29 jacobvandy

I heard this is them poking fun at Destiny somehow, but I don't get it. Did Bungie ask people to take selfies with some other beverage?  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
22. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 12:20 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 11:53:
It doesn't have to be "that bad" for this kind of a reaction now that Steam has a refund system. Too long businesses were shipping broken games, maybe people are finally tired of paying good money to beta test shit. Then again, with the proliferation of early access... maybe not.

The difference being, Early Access games plainly warn you that the game is in a rough state of active development... People VOLUNTEER to alpha/beta test those games. That's a far cry from a AAA studio releasing v1.0 of something that is still so buggy as to be unplayable.

News Comments > People Can Fly Returns
13. Re: People Can Fly Returns Jun 24, 2015, 19:46 jacobvandy

They do hold the rights to Bulletstorm, which is weird, but a sequel could definitely still happen. I second the motion to de-GWFL the first game in the meantime.  

News Comments > Diablo III Kanai's Cube Revealed
16. Re: Diablo III Kanai's Cube Revealed Jun 24, 2015, 18:56 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 18:06:
Hopefully Grim Dawn ends up being great when it's finally finished in 2020 or so. :o

Act 3 was just released, and they're looking at Act 4 coming with the full release before the end of the year... It's taken longer than they anticipated, sure, but the scope of the game has also about tripled compared to what they pitched in the Kickstarter. Five years isn't bad at all when the first half of that was only a handful of ex-Titan Quest devs working in their spare time, dwindling down to the one main guy before finally getting the funds they needed to make it happen. It's already a very good game, and has been since it was made available through Early Access.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
18. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 11:17 jacobvandy

Here's the inevitable, SHOCKING interview with a Rocksteady developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBngocx0DhI  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2015, 23:54 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 22:38:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 22:06:
I gotta admit my inner child squeed when seeing that pip-boy edition. Fortunately or unfortunately my outer adult saw that price tag and sent the child to bed without dinner.

It's neat, but how often are you really going to use it, right?

Not at all. I'm going to use the app on my phone but keep the pip-boy in a display case on a shelf!

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jun 23, 2015, 23:53 jacobvandy

A lot of cool stuff coming in D3 2.3! Torment 10 here I come!  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
16. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 20:19 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 18:25:
Ceribaen wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 17:45:
Would it really hurt them that much to have three total SKUs?
1. Expansion plus Base game for 49.99
2. Expansion only for 39.99
3. Keep base game SKU active at 14.99

I've been mildly paying attention to this, but your #3. to me alludes to if I don't buy the expansion GW 2 the base game no longer works?

As for refunding people that bought it recently, that seems pretty fair.

Absolutely not. You aren't required to buy the expansion, you just won't have access to the new features.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Video
3. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Video Jun 23, 2015, 14:24 jacobvandy

He's holding the hilt of the sword up in front of his face at all times, that's what's off. =/

Do they really think you'll forget what you're holding if they don't do that? Or are they just wanking off that hard to the sword model they made? It's not that pretty.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
5. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 13:08 jacobvandy

briktal wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 12:55:
We wanted you to know that access to much of the content in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns requires access to Guild Wars 2.

Why does anyone need to know that information if there's no way to buy Heart of Thorns without also buying the base game?

That was back in January, when they were first telling people it wouldn't be a standalone expansion with its own discrete content, that it would instead require and build upon the base game. So either they hadn't yet decided they'd be including the base game with every expansion purchase, or they didn't consider that fact to be relevant to the announcement. I'm leaning toward the former because it makes more sense, but who knows.

These refunds should solve a lot of the complaints, though. And also announcing they've committed to that same release model for any future expansions (with all previous content being included) will at least prevent this from happening again.

2865 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo