Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2643 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
32. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 14:49 jacobvandy

It's not a 404, it states: 'This item is no longer for sale, but if you have purchased it, you will still have access to it.' Every single one.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2015, 13:37 jacobvandy

Nobody wears watches anymore, especially not people who have a phone in their pocket. You might as well tattoo "Apple 4 Life" on your forehead.  

23. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 13:31 jacobvandy

That's up to the contributors to work it out amongst themselves. Valve confirms it along with all of their contact info, etc. and it becomes a binding agreement before any money is paid out to anyone.  

21. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 13:14 jacobvandy

Fion wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 12:26:
So who gets what money when a new mod requires or is built upon others? When mods are free you can just thank those mod authors or ask permission and easily get it. It's a collaborative environment, mod making. But when money becomes involved it's a potential legal mess.

If they go about it the right way, all contributors get a share of that 25%. But they won't always go about it the right way.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
99. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 23:26 jacobvandy

jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:06:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:40:
jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:21:
First off, Steam taking 75% is just insane, insulting, indefensible, and I'm sure a lot of other in- words.

It's a good thing they're not taking 75% then, huh?

Perhaps I should have worded it differently? How about "the content creator only getting 25% is just insane..."

You knew what I meant...

Well, no, that's a different statement entirely. We don't know how much Valve is getting, just that Bethesda chose to give the modder the standard rate (established previous to this whole thing) of 25%.

92. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:40 jacobvandy

jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:21:
First off, Steam taking 75% is just insane, insulting, indefensible, and I'm sure a lot of other in- words.

It's a good thing they're not taking 75% then, huh?

51. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:03 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:51:
Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:36:
Wouldn't 99.99999% of all games prohibit a modder charging for his/her mods to begin with?

That's the big question. Hell even Blizzard went after UI mod makers who were charging money.

Third time I'm answering this, lol... BETHESDA IS IN ON IT. Any other game that supports selling mods through the Workshop will also involve the developer/publisher consenting to it and taking a cut of the proceeds. They even get the final say on what the price will be and how much the modder receives, as per the the Revenue Sharing terms:

If your Contribution is distributed for a fee (whether in-Application or via the Steam Workshop), you may be entitled to receive a portion of the Adjusted Gross Revenue (as defined below) that is collected for the Contribution. The percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that you are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application associated with the Workshop to which you have submitted your Contribution (“Publisher”), and will be described on the applicable Workshop page.

The Publisher will have the ultimate discretion to determine the suggested retail price for your Contribution. In the case of Contributions distributed directly via the Steam Workshop, Valve and/or the Publisher may choose to offer you price categories from which you can choose a suggested retail price for your Contribution.

27. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 15:33 jacobvandy

LurkerLito wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 15:05:
Not to mention the legality of selling an addon for a game you license but do not own or are technically not allowed to reverse engineer. Believe me the publisher will put a stop to this or put in a big hurdle for modders because there is no way the publishers will allow this without getting a cut and that is for certain.
Primalchrome wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 14:49:
- Publishers are probably going to go rabid with lawsuits if some modders start making serious cash. Most of them allow modding so long as it is not for profit.

Bethesda is getting their cut. Like I mentioned in my previous post, this wouldn't be happening if they didn't give the go-ahead. You really think Valve would just spring something like this on them without their consent? From the FAQ:

When an item is sold via the Steam Workshop, revenue is shared between Valve (for transaction costs, fraud, bandwidth & hosting costs, building & supporting the Steam platform), the game developer (for creation of the game and the game's universe, the marketing to build an audience, the included assets, and any included modding or editing tools), and the item creator (including any specified contributors).

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2015, 15:41.

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
13. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 14:26 jacobvandy

We obviously have different opinions on whether or not Fallout 3 was a worthy successor... But it wasn't completely out of left field.  

7. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 13:53 jacobvandy

Jesus. Midas Magic is $6, an added companion is $3, armor re-texture is $2, a survival mod that requires you eat/drink/sleep is $4... What do the guys over at the Nexus think of this? You're not gonna put your mod on a website for free when Steam lets you charge for it. What tiny fraction of people who use free mods will pay for them? Say goodbye to having hundreds of mods, if even the tiniest ones (like a weapon skin) cost 25 cents a piece.

Thanks for monetizing the mod scene Bethesda! They couldn't be doing this if you weren't taking a percentage.

10. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:41 jacobvandy

Oh, get over it already. If Codies sold off the IP to someone else known for their co-op action RPGs, this wouldn't be such a [lame] surprise.  

8. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:33 jacobvandy

Yeah, I don't get it. They say several times how "it's not Overlord 3" and "it's got none of the mechanics fans of the series would expect" and "we wanted to try something different and see where it takes us." Well, bugger off then! Don't be surprised if nobody likes it after you've used up the goodwill of a cult franchise to hype up your attempt at a co-op action RPG. This is like if Bethesda teased a new Fallout, and it turned out to be a multiplayer team shooter...  

News Comments > GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
14. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 22:21 jacobvandy

What else do you expect from outsourcing? If they can't do anything about it over the phone, I'm sure <random Indian call center> management doesn't want to spend an hour explaining as such to every single person on the line. They have support calls from 38 other Fortune 500 companies they have to get to! Haven't you seen South Park?  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
17. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 13:57 jacobvandy

I don't like the PCSS shadow crap. It's a neat idea, diffusing shadows the farther away they are from the source object, but it doesn't work properly everywhere. Even in their showcase screenshot, there's a tree on the far right that is still blurry at the base of the shadow. And I don't feel its an "improvement" to see that weird distinct border around more solid objects' shadows, like the lamp-post. It needs to blend a lot better to look natural, not just be blurred.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 21, 2015, 20:26 jacobvandy

A lot of that data isn't relevant to us, though. Unless you consider online games like Dungeon & Fighter, QQ Fantasy, and Xunxian from Chinese media conglomerate Tencent as a part of that 'embarrassment of riches.' They hold the number one spot at $7.2 billion, which is more than EA and Ubisoft put together. That report also includes Apple and Google, who produce no gaming products of their own, at spots #6-7 so... It's a really abstract picture of the industry.

The most interesting thing about what they show there (basically what Gamasutra copy-pasted from the research company's press release promoting their full report you have to buy), is that the creators of Candy Crush are raking in more cash than Nintendo and Ubisoft these days.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Early Access
7. Re: Killing Floor 2 Early Access Apr 21, 2015, 17:14 jacobvandy

I've played a few hours so far, leveling up my Commando class to 5 (the first ability choice). I really like the changes to the perk system and how you don't have to do the annoyingly specific things to rank up. Every kill gives you some XP now. The shooting is awesome, it's incredible to watch the persistent gore transform the map into a horror show (especially if you tweak how many bodies/parts stick around), and so far there are no obvious camping spots that make the waves retardedly easy to survive. No tech issues for me at all, I'm just mourning the removal of the trader NPC and having a harder time finding matches than I should. Servers are jam-packed, and matches seem to fill up faster than you can go from refreshing the browser to trying to join one. The 'quick-match' thing doesn't work for me at all.

jdreyer wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 17:06:
I own the original Killing Floor, but I couldn't get into it at all. And I say that as a huge L4D fan.

I wonder if this one does anything different? Certainly looks like they're taking some cues from L4D: I think I saw "tank" and "witch" zombies in that trailer.

Everything in the trailer was also in KF1, which has been around for 10 years now (L4D came out a few years later than the mod for UT). You saw a fleshpound, which is a bigass scary dude with spinning blades on his arms that walks slowly until you shoot him and piss him off. And the siren, which does a PBAoE armor-ignoring scream attack that also defuses grenades. They're nothing like the tank and witch... And a fun factoid, Left 4 Dead originally copied the siren, but the 'Screamer' didn't make it to full release.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2015, 17:27.

News Comments > Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen
18. Re: Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen Apr 21, 2015, 12:04 jacobvandy

InBlack wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 09:51:
Then again the kind of people posting on reddit, are more the tech savy type

Lolwut?

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access Next Month
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access Next Month Apr 21, 2015, 02:54 jacobvandy

CHESS! Why do they so often avoid saying what this game is when they promote it? They're giving the wrong idea with elaborate CGI teasers like this, which would be more appropriate for a WH40k version of Dead Space.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm in June
8. Re: Heroes of the Storm in June Apr 20, 2015, 22:55 jacobvandy

Lmao, should've known that would touch a fanboy nerve.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm in June
5. Re: Heroes of the Storm in June Apr 20, 2015, 22:03 jacobvandy

Tom wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 21:36:
Last hitting is just tiresome micromanagement IMO. Sure, it's highly skill based, but I'd bet it's more irritating than fun for most people. I give Blizzard credit for having the courage to dump it. (My perspective on this is purely LoL-based but I hear it's worse in DOTA2.)

This actually makes me a little more interested in trying the game. I played a little Dota 2 for the first time with a couple of experienced friends not too long ago, and they were teaching me how you do NOT attack creeps until the last second, which is incredibly counter-intuitive. It's tedious enough sitting around in a lane waiting for creeps to come to you (god forbid you push at the wrong time), so let's just avoid combat with them 90% of the time on top of that!

2643 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo