Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2201 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
6. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 21, 2014, 17:40 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on May 21, 2014, 16:47:
At what point will this work across set-top boxes like Amazon Fire or Tivo? If somebody could plunk $100 on an Amazon Fire and use this, that would really put Steam Boxes out to pasture before they're even out of the womb.

You answered your own question.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
5. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 21, 2014, 17:39 jacobvandy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 21, 2014, 17:08:
noman wrote on May 21, 2014, 16:21:
It's a nice feature, but I wish Steam can finally add support for simultaneous logins of the account on different PCs on the same network. There's absolutely no reason that playing different games bought on a Steam account simultaneously in the same household should need any workarounds.

License restriction should be game-specific (at least on a home network), instead of covering the entire library.

Thankfully DRM-free options are showing up on more and more new releases.

Would there not be concerns for a tunneling program to route local network traffic elsewhere, or to spoof Steam into thinking distant computers are on a user's home network? I could see Valve not wanting to add that kind of feature simply for that possibility alone..

Yep. Unlike what some people like to believe, the account/library/subscription model is the way it is for many practical reasons, not merely to be an unnecessary inconvenience to the customer...

News Comments > Dark Souls Exploring GFWL Alternatives
4. Re: Dark Souls Exploring GFWL Alternatives May 20, 2014, 00:35 jacobvandy

Never played DS1 online, just used a crack. Yeah it takes away from some of the atmosphere, no ghosts or phantoms or messages, but it was hassle-free.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads
9. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads May 20, 2014, 00:34 jacobvandy

It's a 40+ gig download, I hear.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
48. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 14:02 jacobvandy

It takes 25 minutes to run across the map and meet up with your buddy, you really didn't even get to start playing!  

37. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 00:27 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 23:22:
Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2014, 19:18:
And you make this assumption based on... what, exactly? Your own personal distaste for the game? According to Steam's concurrent player stats, the highest concurrent player count for DayZ was 45,398. Today's peak was 30,001. While obviously a decrease (which is common among most games), the numbers still suggest a high level of retention for a game that's been out for months.

And you make that assumption based on what? 2 peak numbers? Those numbers are a pittance. And I said I'd like to see what the average hours played versus total sales are, not concurrent players today. And what does that even mean anyway if they were only online for 30 minutes? I know a metric shit ton of people who bought Minecraft because its popular and ended up feeling ripped off after an hour. You're confusing sales numbers with quality and longevity.

Lmao, yeah, being in the top 10 most active games on Steam is a pittance. I suppose you don't have a game there because it's not worth your time, right? There are only so many DayZ owners, if the majority of them played for 30 minutes and then quit for good, you would not have a chance in hell for 30,000 of them to randomly be playing at the same time.

BTW, according to Steam Charts, which has been tracking player counts every hour for every game since July 2012, DayZ has been played for a total of 13.2 million hours. That's an average of 6.5 hours per person who owns it. Hmm, it appears that's only the last 30 days, too... I'm gonna try to find somewhere that has a measure of the total number of hours played, all-time.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2014, 00:48.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 17:17 jacobvandy

Lmao,calling someone that just makes you sound even more like an out of touch old codger. It's not the best selling game on PC for months straight just for the sake of being popular... Compare Goat Simulator, an actual fad game with no substance to back it up. All of your internet in crowd bought it and joked about it, but it dropped off the radar almost immediately.  

6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 12:49 jacobvandy

And that's the rub, plain and simple. Early Access is honest, people don't care if it's unfinished, if it's worth playing they will buy it. Big publishers catch flak for inappropriately labeling their games as finished, polished. Their business model often depends entirely on suckering you in to that preorder or day one purchase, and leaving you out in the cold from then on... Participating in Early Access would be a big step forward for them, but it undermines that entire strategy of empty promises and big budget hype.  

News Comments > The Division Delayed
13. Re: The Division Delayed May 15, 2014, 23:31 jacobvandy

Er, it was one of the most highly-lauded showings at E3 last year... What I'm wondering, is whether this has anything to do with SOE bringing out H1Z1. I'm sure Ubi thought they would solidly trounce DayZ, but with additional, more mainstream competition in the genre (open world survival with free-form PVP), they may have decided to hold it back, polish it up more, and be able to respond directly to things SOE does in their game.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Announced
9. Re: Far Cry 4 Announced May 15, 2014, 14:12 jacobvandy

Ugh, already sick of this 5-platform support crap. New generation of consoles comes out, and we're still being held back by 10-year-old hardware. What's the deal?  

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Two - Birthday Bonuses
14. Re: Diablo III Turns Two - Birthday Bonuses May 15, 2014, 03:41 jacobvandy

Going on 4 legs and 3 plans in an hour, and the bonus only started up halfway through that. :p

Fuck the haters.

News Comments > DayZ Source Code Compromised?
6. Re: DayZ Source Code Compromised? May 14, 2014, 20:11 jacobvandy

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:26:
Who would steal the DayZ source code? Someone who wants to figure out how not to code? DayZ is a bug fest at best, a waste of time and money at worst. It makes Goat Simulator look like a shining example of game design.

Selling cheats for online games is a multi million dollar industry... If it helps them make better hacks, the source code can be very valuable.

News Comments > Capcom GameSpy Shutdown Update
5. Re: Capcom GameSpy Shutdown Update May 13, 2014, 07:14 jacobvandy

Yeah, that is a strikingly short list of games they're bothering to mention there...  

News Comments > GOG.com Spring Insomnia Sale
2. Re: GOG.com Spring Insomnia Sale May 12, 2014, 20:25 jacobvandy

Ain't nobody got time for that.  

News Comments > Darksiders "Not Dead"
15. Re: Darksiders May 12, 2014, 15:54 jacobvandy

It's a(nother) console genre... If you never liked those kinds of games, you won't like it just because you have it on PC. Especially if you try to use KBM.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 11, 2014, 20:16 jacobvandy

Task wrote on May 11, 2014, 19:21:
Wait, so the doom 3 super edition doesn't support mods? wth

Correct, its a port of the console version they released, complete with downgraded visuals. Well, to be fair they did improve some effects and assets but the textures are definitely worse, and the lighting much less moody and atmospheric. I.e. they eliminated the need for a flashlight with the BFG edition.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2014, 14:19 jacobvandy

Yeah, when I noticed that I thought it was pretty slick. It's a mechanic that is merciful as well as limiting of excess farming. You can reset the enemies spawn count if you want, though, with a rare item you burn at a bonfire. They'll be one degree more difficult, too, even bosses.  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition Preorders
10. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition Preorders May 10, 2014, 08:51 jacobvandy

Seriously, who doesn't have Prime? Do you still buy stuff in stores or some shit?  

News Comments > New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year
7. Re: New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year May 7, 2014, 14:12 jacobvandy

I'm thinking that, since it's news coming from the mobile game site, they were trying to distinguish this upcoming game from their existing title's free-to-play model. If it is F2P, I don't even know. But premium in the mobile app world generally means you pay a higher price (more than $1-2) and then don't have to deal with microtransactions and such.  

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
19. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 12:47 jacobvandy

Also, if you dig a little deeper, this guy is NOT the original developer of Towns. Those guys (a pair, I think) already stopped working on the game in the past, and this guy came in and agreed to develop it further in exchange for 15% of the net profits going forward. Since the game isn't selling, it's not enough money for him. So basically he's a dumbass for not looking before he leaped, but he's not the root of this game's problems.  

2201 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo