Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2301 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC
7. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 14:20 jacobvandy

LesCaster wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 13:11:
I bought the original when it first came out and within a week wound up giving it away to a friend of mine who was just starting out on guitar. I've been playing guitar (non-professionally) for over 30 years and I had no illusions that Rocksmith was going to teach me something new. However, I figured it would at least teach me some solos/riffs I wanted to learn in a fun, interactive way. My main disappointment came from the over-simplified versions of many of the songs. If your looking for note-for-note accurate renditions of your favorite songs, you won't find them here, and that's ultimately what ruined it for me. For someone just starting out, I could definitely see the value here. If you've been playing for more than a few years, I'd skip it, or at least try before you buy.

They've improved a lot in the accuracy department in the 2014 version (even upgraded the older songs/DLC), mainly because they just didn't have support for a lot of the techniques that they do now. They switched up the arrangements some, too, which is hit or miss. They have you choose "Lead" or "Rhythm" guitar as an overall game mode just like you can choose to play bass, which is a step down from just letting you pick the arrangement you wanted to play like before. And it's hard to say exactly without knowing what "over-simplifications" you're referring to, but I'm sure you're aware that tabs in general are up to the interpretation of the author. They've got plenty of pro musicians and advisers at this studio putting that stuff together. Even if I have to just take that on faith until I'm at the level where I can evaluate the accuracy myself, lol.

Are you certain that your perception of such wasn't down to the dynamic difficulty system? Like it wasn't showing you all the notes because you hadn't built up the level of mastery yet?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 12:33 jacobvandy

So now our FCC chairman has nipple flaps built in to his shirt? Great...  

News Comments > Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC
3. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 12:25 jacobvandy

Well obviously session mode will put out what you put in. It's basically a virtual studio where you can experiment with endless different tones and effects and back-up instruments to provide structure. A lot of people are saying that that's the main attraction of this new version. The rest of the game is all about honing techniques and building up proficiency by playing along with songs new and old. You play them note for note in their exact tuning (first game only had standard and drop-D, now they have like a dozen in total including E-flat, D-standard, or just slightly off standard), including bends and slides, vibrato, harmonics, and even tapping. There are no gimmicks here, it's an interactive UI for tabs that are as detailed and accurate as they could be.

I've been playing for a couple years, started with Rock Band 3 pro mode but that turned out to really be only a half-way point bridging music games and actual music. It was a real guitar that you could plug into an amp and play with, but the way they set up the technology with the game, you had to mute the strings and just send information on what you were fretting; it only listened for tone to see that you were actually plucking a string to go along with that. Rocksmith is completely different, and made it so much more fun and interesting. You actually play the instrument, and the game listens to make sure you're hitting the right notes at the right time. It requires your guitar be in tune, unlike RB3, and your playing is piped in with the song in real-time so that you can hear yourself as you go (I like to mix myself a little louder than the music), so you know more from the way it sounds that you messed up, than from actual UI feedback saying "MISS" or "LATE."

So yeah, it is best as a teaching tool, but how "seasoned" are you anyway? There are easy songs in the mix that are still enjoyable IMO, but unless you scoff at matching Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden, etc., there's something for you to do. They have DLCs from Megadeth, Judas Priest, Pearl Jam, Avenged Sevenfold, Skynyrd, and others that will surely test your skills. Lots of more intermediate songs in there that you might enjoy learning to play. Also the Guitarcade mini-games that are purely about practicing techniques.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers
3. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 15:59 jacobvandy

Yeah, they have to call it beta until Microsoft approves it. There is often little to no difference between beta drivers and the subsequent WHQL release.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 14:13 jacobvandy

NVIDIA dropped prices on the 780 and 770 today, to $499 and $329 respectively. As expected (though rather expeditiously), they've effectively neutralized AMD's new releases. So the 290X is 10% faster than the 780? Then you will pay 10% more. Identical bang for your buck, if you ignore that the thermal performance disparity is still there. Especially since they're not downgrading the cooler on the 780 despite the $150 cut.

Also, the 780 Ti will be coming out in a week, and will be sold for $699. They waited to see what the 290X would offer before announcing as such, so that price suggests it will be significantly faster. We shall see.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 27, 2013, 20:09 jacobvandy

On the surface it looks pretty good (if you like HBO), but the problem is that what they advertise is usually an introductory price that increases by 50% after 6 months, then fully doubles after a year... Some royal bullshit, that.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 27, 2013, 15:47 jacobvandy

Just about every 3D printer out there is a "gun factory." Governments everywhere are shitting their pants.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 14:24 jacobvandy

There's no way the PS4 renders 4k unless it's a spreadsheet. Or a slide-show, I guess... Maybe Minecraft.  

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
12. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Oct 25, 2013, 22:48 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 21:42:
Mark of the Ninja was released in Oct 2012.

How'd it win for Indie game of 2013?

Because what you and everyone else here is missing, is that they've defined their own year-long time period here. Like a fiscal year vs. calendar year, starting and ending in October. The games coming out in November and December will be included in next year's nominations.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
17. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 24, 2013, 16:58 jacobvandy

Okay, yeah, let's argue semantics then, since your head has been buried in the sand where the facts are concerned, lol. If the 290X is claiming "victory" over the 780 with a 9% increase, what exactly would you call a 34% increase? That's a bona fide generational gap in GPU performance, about the same as the difference between a GTX 780 and a GTX 680... It's really not an opinion to say that AMD is a generation behind, when they had to bring out their next line of products to match the performance of what NVIDIA released last time.

News Comments > 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced
11. Re: 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced Oct 24, 2013, 13:23 jacobvandy

BurntSoul wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 12:38:
From what I gather, I don't think this is focused on first person shooter gaming engines, Creston. That wheel has already been made. The only way I see it, you'd be able to control 10,000 interactive units in a game is through something like an RTS.

This is correct. You're not going to have 10,000 character/object models in a dude-bro shooter, because dude-bro's head would explode trying to figure out what to shoot at. No, Unreal will continue to be used for interactive corridors, while this one fits well for your next-gen RTS or large-scale RPG.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 13:14 jacobvandy

Rigs wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 10:53:
tl;dr - they aren't ahead but they aren't lagging behind either

How can you say that in response to the simple fact he stated? AMD released the 7970 in January, which beat the GTX 680. One month later, NVIDIA releases Titan and absolutely destroys the 7970, enabling them to command a huge price premium that many people have been paying. 8 months later, AMD releases the 290X (very annoying, by the way, that they're recycling numbers that GeForce used to use, in order to avoid recycling their own numbers), which only barely catches up to the Titan in performance. They price it accordingly, on par with what flagship cards have traditionally sold for when there is actual competition abound, but all NVIDIA has to do is issue price cuts and that advantage instantly dissolves. A 780 at the same price will be the more attractive option when you're considering the heat/noise/power that this 290X sucks down and puts out.

So next year, when NVIDIA releases the 800 series, they will again be waiting a while for AMD to respond. How long is up to them; they can release in the first quarter again, or rest on their laurels a bit because of this lead they have built up. One thing is clear, though... All of this breathing room has allowed them ample time to produce superior designs. They're continuing to push performance increases while also REDUCING relative power consumption and thus heat output. They expect the 800 series "Maxwell" parts to be even more energy efficient than 700 Series "Kepler." That's quite different from AMD, who is forced to sacrifice those things in order to boost performance enough to be competitive. For their sake, I hope Mantle does something great for them, because while they may have just won a battle, they're losing the war. I would hate to see their GPU department fall behind like they have in CPUs, because then the company as a whole would be in serious trouble.

News Comments > The Killing Floor Halloween Event
2. Re: The Killing Floor Halloween Event Oct 24, 2013, 12:35 jacobvandy

Well now that the Red Orchestra 2 expansion is out, maybe they've shifted over to the KF sequel. Or something else entirely, I dunno.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 00:46 jacobvandy

A good starter guitar is CHEAP, lol.

a) You don't know what a "good" guitar sounds like, so that doesn't matter
b) You're probably going to bang it up or slack on maintenance or otherwise wear on it faster when you're just starting out
c) You might decide you're just not as into learning as you thought you might have been after trying it a while

And so on. It's best not to spend a whole bunch of money right away, you can always buy something better later when you know what you're doing. I got a Squier Bullet Strat for $130 or so to go along with the original game when I got it almost a year ago, and even that is too expensive for a starter axe by some opinions I've seen. You might prefer a different body shape, though. Just remember to pick up a strap (the ones that come with cheap guitars always suck), a bunch of picks, and maybe a change of strings to go with it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 23, 2013, 14:45 jacobvandy

Fantastic game, it's so much sleeker and more functional than the original, which was already the premier interactive guitar-teaching tool in its own right. Session mode is amazing, as is Nonstop Play mode where you can build a playlist and let it run one after the other without touching any controls. They've improved the performance and latency tremendously, all of the tones and effects sound a lot better (on my same crappy guitar I was using with the last game), technique indicators within the note highway are a lot clearer and better defined, and there is virtually no loading time when you select a song to play. Having put a couple hundred hours into the last game, I can tell you that they must have had a focus group of big-time fans telling them everything that was wrong with it, and followed through with addressing it all. My only complaint right now is that the older DLC isn't showing up as playable yet, when it's supposed to be universally-supported across games like Rock Band DLC is/was. I imagine there will be a patch for that soon.

There is no arguing the $10 import fee, though. It's a completely optional service, for your convenience, so either pay it or don't. I have no problem with it simply because of how much enjoyment I've gotten out of the series so far, and paying an additional ~20 cents per song to put them into a vastly superior interface is very well worth it. You're wrong to think that Ubisoft has anything to do with it; it's a direct result of record companies' cartel-esque licensing requirements. Even so, people are still going apeshit over a measly ten bucks, reporting them to the BBB and the ASA and WTF else consumer-protection agencies they can think of because it wasn't mentioned that there would be a fee until the import DLC showed up on release day. Get a life, people...

I also want to mention that PC actually got a better licensing deal than Xbox. They're missing 8-10 major songs including Skynyrd, STP, and Franz Ferdinand, while we're only missing two songs from Cream and Clapton, plus a few of the "bonus" instrumentals you unlocked by progressing through the game. I will not miss Seth Chapla's Star Spangled Banner one bit, lol.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2013, 14:55.

News Comments > GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds
18. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 16:20 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 14:11:
...and people gave me grief for wondering why those who bought the game should get a refund...

They still shouldn't. GOG is being nice here, going above and beyond what anyone should be expected to do, and garnering some PR. Especially considering the aforementioned, that their version is DRM-free, so you can keep it even after you get your money back.

There's a big difference between that and being entitled to a refund...

News Comments > Path of Exile Launch This Week
15. Re: Path of Exile Launch This Week Oct 21, 2013, 23:28 jacobvandy

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing the new class and seeing what you can do with her. Giggity.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Launch This Week
13. Re: Path of Exile Launch This Week Oct 21, 2013, 22:46 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:49:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:44:
loomy wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:02:
this game is a clusterfuck. but it also feels more like diablo than diablo 3 does, so it's worth trying
Clusterfuck how, exactly? I haven't played in a while, but the beta was shaping up pretty nicely. Really just needed more content, which they seem to have added.

I agree, I've been playing it the past two weeks and its so much different then it was a year ago. As for the money. I see nothing that prevents anyone from playing this game from start to finish without spending one dime.

The only thing I see that may kill this game is that the devs allowed the player to go up to level 99. I'm not sure how much life you can get out of this game after leveling that far without any add-ons coming out. I would have thought the smart move here would be to limit the leveling up to around 70 then bring out add-ons giving players the ability to level up 10 more level per add-on.

You're not going to reach the max level (100) unless you spend months on-end grinding for extremely small amounts of XP. There are diminishing returns at the high end that make maxing out your character very difficult for everyone and only achievable by the most dedicated (and masochistic) of players. This is why just about every build you see online plans out to only level 80-85, because that is what is feasible to attain with what content is currently available. And even that is based upon an end-game, following completion of all story-related content through several difficulty levels, wherein you farm randomly-generated dungeons starting at around 70-75. I hear only a handful of people have reached 100 since the start of open beta, literally only 4 or 5, when they have several million registered accounts.

The replayability from this game comes with trying out the other classes, as well as building out each class in different ways. They're going to keep adding content on a consistent basis (small updates every two weeks with larger expansions every few months), so that should be more than enough to keep any ARPG fan satisfied (all completely FREE, no less). If your sole purpose in playing this game, is to reach the level cap with one character... Good luck, lol.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns
4. Re: TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns Oct 21, 2013, 18:03 jacobvandy

Of course it's bullshit, at this point they have no other choice but to spin it and find any flimsy excuse they possibly can to backtrack and try to save some face. You don't have to mention whether monetization is allowed, it's expressly implied in the game-maker/reviewer relationship. You give someone a free copy of your game, so that you get free promotion and they make money off of people reading/viewing their content. That's how it works. The vast majority of game reviewers are doing it to get paid, and the rest of them are wishing they could. No major publisher ever feels the need to spell that out in the documentation they send with press kits... It's always just "for your consideration" or something to that effect.

Even if Wild Games Studio is sincere in this apology and their reasoning for having the video pulled, they still look like complete asshats with no idea what they're doing in the industry.

News Comments > Day One: YouTube Takedown Incident
16. Re: Day One: YouTube Takedown Incident Oct 21, 2013, 13:37 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 12:08:
These guys blatantly stole assets from Killing Floor and decided to ignore Tripwire when privately confronted. They more than doubled their Kickstarter goal and still have to rip somebody's work.

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired... They didn't blatantly rip off Killing Floor, they bought the model legitimately from the Unity asset store. It says so, in plain language, on the Reddit thread you linked. It's not their fault whoever was selling it had stolen it from the KF SDK, and now they're having these legal threats piled on top of their full-tilt development cycle. For all we know, they haven't even had a chance to read their mail in the time since Tripwire tried to contact them directly, and/or they figured that since their game is still in an early alpha state, they have plenty of time to address the issue before open beta or release or whatever. But with the DMCA notice coming down a couple days ago, they're likely to get their butts in gear a little sooner than that.

Edit: Ah, further down the source material for the story (where an alleged, self-described gaming attorney comes out calling people dicks and boasting of his arsenal of dirty lawyer tricks on the Steam community forums), we have the response from the accused:

Ok everyone, Fun Pimp here, believe it or not, here is the deal;

It's not a lawsuit, nobody is getting sued. It was the zombie feral model(or Killing Floor Clot model). Fun Pimps have contacted this gentleman and are working to resolve this issue. Rest assured this has no bearing on the game, the model will be removed and the video will be recut. Simple fix to a very small and common problem due to Unity's lack of filtering of possibly copyrighted assets.

Now, please stop calling FP theives, it was an honest mistake. We got scammed on a model, don't assume we are theives just becuase someone we bought the model from stole it. We aren't here to scam anyone, we are here to make a really fun game and this model was just a small bump in the road.

I hope this quells some superstitions and arguments.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2013, 13:44.

2301 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo