Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch
12. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 17:42 jacobvandy

Only reason I can think of to make a sequel instead of updating, is to not do F2P anymore.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2013, 22:19 jacobvandy

So uh, not sure how long this will last, it's gotta be some kind of error... You can buy a digital download of Metro: Last Light for $0.01 from BestBuy.com right now. The description mentions it being free with the purchase of certain graphics cards, so I guess it's supposed to be a special bundle thing. But clearly, it's not working as intended, lol. My order went through and it says I should get a code within 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours in some cases, so we'll see what happens.  

News Comments > Civilization V: Brave New World Demo
5. Re: Civilization V: Brave New World Demo Jul 11, 2013, 19:45 jacobvandy

If it says falling, that simply means they're generating more culture than you are tourism (for that civ). And yeah, as I said, there are modifiers, but it should say what they are if you hover over the percentage that represents the effect those modifiers are having on your output. There is definitely micromanagement involved, but that's an improvement IMO... Before all you did was pump out wonders and great people, so it was a really lazy way to win compared to something like conquest or even science. Play Ghandi and turtle yourself with 2-3 cities and you were golden, lol.

Speaking of micromanagement, something you may not have noticed is how you can change the way your great works are displayed in the various buildings and wonders. Any spot that allows you to store more than one of the same type of work will let you have a "theme bonus" based on whatever criteria it shows. AFAIK it does not automatically group them together appropriately unless it can do so while filling empty spots. So if you shuffle some things around, you might be able to get a few +1s or +2s to tourism for free. Biggest I saw was +3 from a wonder like Broadway if you can put three great works of music in from the same civ and the same era. With that sort of thing in mind, part of your strategy might be to hold on to some great people and then spend them all at once, so you can get several things from the same era. Or not, since other theme bonuses ask for ones of different eras, etc.

News Comments > Civilization V: Brave New World Demo
3. Re: Civilization V: Brave New World Demo Jul 11, 2013, 16:16 jacobvandy

PropheT wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 15:52:
I can't believe how much stuff this expansion added to the game...or how much longer it takes me to finish one since I got it :p

Really enjoying it, but the tourism vs. culture thing seems confusing on just what exactly is influencing the progress you make toward victory with it.

In terms of a cultural victory, Tourism is your offense and Culture is your defense. Both of them contribute to a total score that accumulates throughout the entire match. When you generate a high enough Tourism score with another nation (there are modifiers that effect the rate for each other civ) that it overcomes their own Culture score, you are influential over them and they will say to you "Our people are buying your blue jeans and listening to your pop music... I worry the rest of the world will fall under the influence of your culture" blah blah blah.

You have to do that for all other players/AI in order to achieve a cultural victory. Not sure if it's just that or if you have to do something else, like before where you had to build a wonder. It's really easy to check your progress with the culture panel, it's up in the top right corner next to diplomacy. It shows you your score with each nation vs. their culture score, whether the ratio is rising or falling, etc. So it's sort of like the old cultural domination strategy of Civ IV, except it affects everyone globally.

My first victory with the expansion was diplomatic, which was actually really easy to do by just allying with as many city-states as possible, because they all get a vote in the world congress that you control. Once you get to the modern age and the congress becomes the United Nations, all you do is get a majority of votes to become the world leader and win.

Also, I didn't get to use them yet, but... Nanotechnology unlocks a new infantry unit that sounds like an upgrade to paratroopers: the XCOM Squad! The description leads me to believe they can be deployed anywhere in the world, so I really want to play a research-focused military game and try them out.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 16:22.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2013, 20:08 jacobvandy

Whereas I've just been saying "maybe next Tuesday" or "maybe Thursday" about when the Summer Sale starts, there's actually some decent clues pointing at tomorrow being the big day. Namely that the mid-week deals are ending at 10AM pacific instead of the usual 4PM, and that there are no new releases scheduled until the 23rd. I hadn't realized before, but apparently there are never any new releases during big Steam sales.

So hide yo wallet!

News Comments > Firefall Open Beta
11. Re: Firefall Open Beta Jul 9, 2013, 23:09 jacobvandy

They've added quite a bit of content in the past few months, but it is very much still in development. Red 5 likes to say that their definition of beta is nothing like anyone else's (which I'm afraid will cause them problems with public perception now that it's freely available without an invite/key), because they've yet to implement a ton of stuff they have planned and are still open to making big changes based on feedback. This isn't an open beta like GW2 or NWO or any other game has done where it's basically feature complete and just in need of load, bug, and balance testing... So if you come into it with the expectation of playing a finished and fleshed out game, you will be disappointed. I.e. right now there is next to no story-driven "campaign" and only the most basic components of the dynamic, territory-driven warfront against the Chosen are present.

With that said, it's still a ton of fun IMO. It is the best free-to-play game I've ever played for sure, if only because of their no-nonsense approach as far as monetization and the sheer amount of risk they've been taking trying to create something truly unique as far as an MMO/FPS/RPG. Or rather, mashing those genres up like they never have been before. The thing that really drew me in at first was the tight, real-time FPS combat (as they say, it's tuned for competitive PVP) in the open-world MMO setting. They've still got a ways to go, but it's shaping up quite nicely. Preventing power creep with a durability system that results in permanent item breakage, free and player-driven economy, open world PVP down the road, etc.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2013, 23:14.

News Comments > Titanfall Preorders Reveal $60 Price
24. Re: Titanfall Preorders Reveal $60 Price Jul 9, 2013, 14:45 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 13:02:
Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:57:
$60 for a MP only game? L u l z!

Diablo 3 was $60? (It was Online only as well...)

Online only != multiplayer only

I don't think you'll be able to play Titanfall solo. If you could, that ought to be a big selling point for them to mention in all these previews and such.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2013, 14:38 jacobvandy

That site is INCREDIBLY inaccurate, as you should expect from any site that tries to estimate total playtime. It says you should beat Skyrim in 31 hours, and GTA: San Andreas in 34, for fuck's sake! Averaging Steam users' playtime would be a much better metric to go by, than some third-party willy.

I have dozens upon dozens of games it says it couldn't find a number for, and so plugs in some bizarre "average time" of 10.84 hrs for a "main story" and 24.84 hrs for "completion" on every single one... That list includes Civilization IV and V, both of which I've played for hundreds of hours (so far), so how many other games would probably be more than 11/25 hours?

Overall pretty worthless except as another arbitrary metric to compare with others, like all of those "how much is my Steam library worth" or even "how many games haven't I played" measures.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2013, 14:50.

News Comments > GTA5 Gameplay Trailer Tomorrow
28. Re: GTA5 Gameplay Trailer Tomorrow Jul 8, 2013, 19:38 jacobvandy

dubfanatic wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 18:27:
Bully was a new series that eventually came out on PC, although it was two years after the initial release and the port was atrocious. L.A. Noire is another new IP that was released on PC. I don't know why RDR never came out on PC, but it's not because Rockstar doesn't port new franchises to PC.

nin already got it; Red Dead isn't a new IP, the first game came out for Xbox/PS2 like 10 years ago. Only Xbox/PS2. There was never a reasonable expectation for a sequel to come out on PC. Just like there was no reasonable expectation for Bully or L.A. Noire. All of those examples are very unlike the GTA situation, with its history of releases seeing PC versions come out like clockwork 6-8 months later.

Funny how easily people forget that they do the SAME EXACT THING every time, keeping quiet on the PC version until after the console release... GTA IV released April '08 on consoles and the PC version wasn't announced until August. Another example for Vice city: it was October for the initial release, February for PC announcement, and then May for PC release. We're not exactly living on a prayer here, it's a very clear pattern that's only meant to fool the ignorant masses. And sucker those who can't wait into buying two copies.

News Comments > GTA5 Gameplay Trailer Tomorrow
16. Re: GTA5 Gameplay Trailer Tomorrow Jul 8, 2013, 17:18 jacobvandy

The RDR comparison is completely illogical... That series was NEVER on PC to begin with. It would have been nice to see it ported, but it's a completely different scenario. I.e., GTA was born on PC, and we've had a decade full of releases that consistently release on the platform with the small concession of timed console exclusivity. Which I don't blame them for, by the way, because GTA III never would have happened without Sony's support.  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Engine Features
10. Re: Watch_Dogs Engine Features Jul 7, 2013, 04:54 jacobvandy

You might have a leg to stand on if you used the term "average PC" instead of "highest-end," but as it is you're out of your goddamned mind. You realize a single GeForce Titan has almost triple the graphics processing power of the PS4, right? You're making a huge assumption by saying two-thirds of that power is "wasted" on the system running Windows. I'd be interested to hear how you think it works out that way. And if you really want to go to extremes, you could have three of those in a single machine... I'd love to see the PS4 play Crysis 3 maxed out at 5760x1200 and 8X MSAA without issues.

Really, though, if what you're claiming could happen does, in fact, happen, it won't be because a PC can't "pull it off." It will be because the developers chose to do a shitty port.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2013, 05:00.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
31. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 03:14 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 01:53:
Just saying, projects like these should be flagged as a different kind of "risk" than projects where the developers CLEARLY have a clue what they are doing (Project Eternity comes to mind..)

Why? So you don't have to read anything about what you're donating your money to? Maybe you shouldn't even bother with Kickstarter, just wait to see what pans out and makes it to a Steam release...

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
26. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 00:48 jacobvandy

The moment Kickstarter is required to offer any more oversight than they do now, is the moment they shut it all down. That's asking too much from their business model. They have thousands of projects across hundreds of categories and subcategories. Even if they could hire all the people to do it (maybe they'd have to takes 20-30% of each total funding amount rather than 5% or whatever they do now), what makes you think they would do a good job? It's already been discussed here, that even different genres of video games involve VASTLY different models of design and execution. But let's say they could pull that off... Why would folks like Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone put up with PAYING some douchebag to tell them what to do? You're asking Kickstarter to become a publisher of everything. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? The entire point of the system is to cut out the middle-man, and at the first sniff of real-world hurdles, you're wanting to bring out the Elmer's and stick him back in...  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2013, 14:52 jacobvandy

Gmail spam filter caught it, but whenever you have something you think might be phishy, just hover over the link to see where it's really going to take you (down in the status bar). https://secure.ubi.com is legit, while http://accountservices.ubisoftcom.tk etc. are not. The fake ones I usually see are even longer and more convoluted than that, all in the domain name.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 2, 2013, 14:40 jacobvandy

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 11:58:
No PC plans yet makes HULK MAD!

They didn't say that. They said they "have nothing to share at this time." I.e. console exclusivity deal(s) preclude them from announcing a PC version. Of course I'm inferring from the past half-dozen or however many releases that have gone exactly this way...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 18:17 jacobvandy

It kind of is, though. I got in late last summer and saved $12 off a $52 bill because for three days that month, I wasn't on the computer or watching TV, running the stove or A/C, etc. between 2 and 7 pm. It costs $0.70 per kw/h at those times, but if you use one kw/h or less for those 5 hours, you're not paying any more AND you get credit on your statement. So yeah, it can be a little annoying when it's super hot, but all you do is take a nap or read a book (with a fan blasting you in the face) or go out and do something in the afternoon a few days every month, and you save money the rest of the time.

I don't know if the savings scale to your average usage or if it's a flat credit like that (looking through my old statements, they don't show you exactly how they calculate it), so I guess if you're scoffing at my $50/mo bill, it may not necessarily appeal to you. Still worth looking into. If you try it out one summer and get screwed somehow (don't save money i.e. didn't try hard enough to reduce usage on Smart Days), they will refund you the difference of what it would have been if you just paid the standard rate all summer.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2013, 18:22.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 17:20 jacobvandy

115 on Tuesday... If PG&E calls another Smart Rate day for then, I'm gonna be pissed (had one Friday, and another is tomorrow).  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 17:52 jacobvandy

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 17:02:
Julio wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 15:54:
The challenge will be getting internet providers to sell new technology, especially for us stuck in a virtual monopoly ISP situation enforced by the government.
What monopoly? In America there are plenty of choices (though they all pretty much suck balls)

In my area there is AT&T, or if you don't want to live in 2002 with DSL maxing out at 6 Mbps, there is Comcast. Because they have a monopoly on higher speeds, AT&T is not allowed to offer their 10-30 Mbps services here. I'm swimming in choices!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 14:58 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 09:45:
Microsoft And Time Warner Strike TV Deal For Xbox 360.

Aaand another...So I turn on my tv, and turn on my console...so I can watch tv through my console? Insert "yo dawg, I heard you like..." joke here.

It is weird, but I guess there are cases where your console is not hooked up to your TV, or you want to be able to access your cable TV programming away from home (just take your console with you). Wouldn't appeal to me, necessarily, and definitely not make me want an Xbox, but I can see how others might think differently. The only thing I would want from cable companies at this point is an option to subscribe to a handful of channels that I actually want for a fraction of the price of even the basic package...

News Comments > Diablo III Bans
12. Re: Diablo III Bans Jun 28, 2013, 00:43 jacobvandy

Weaseal wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 23:21:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 22:52:
I essentially bought myself out of enjoying the game.

Try hardcore. It was fun, again. It's different. You'll die, you know this. Your gold and stash carry over, though, so it often becomes easier over time.

Wow, so it's only the items your character has equipped when he dies that are lost? I was under the impression that every character was a clean slate, including gold and crafting and stash, all of that... My monk is level 32 or so now, and I've had a lot of fun starting him from scratch in a vacuum. I guess that explains why prices are so high on the HC auction house, it's still got that wealth creep, combined with the extra emphasis on having the best stuff because it keeps you alive. That's not very hardcore at all.

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo