Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2284 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Path of Exile Launch This Week
13. Re: Path of Exile Launch This Week Oct 21, 2013, 22:46 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:49:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:44:
loomy wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:02:
this game is a clusterfuck. but it also feels more like diablo than diablo 3 does, so it's worth trying
Clusterfuck how, exactly? I haven't played in a while, but the beta was shaping up pretty nicely. Really just needed more content, which they seem to have added.

I agree, I've been playing it the past two weeks and its so much different then it was a year ago. As for the money. I see nothing that prevents anyone from playing this game from start to finish without spending one dime.

The only thing I see that may kill this game is that the devs allowed the player to go up to level 99. I'm not sure how much life you can get out of this game after leveling that far without any add-ons coming out. I would have thought the smart move here would be to limit the leveling up to around 70 then bring out add-ons giving players the ability to level up 10 more level per add-on.

You're not going to reach the max level (100) unless you spend months on-end grinding for extremely small amounts of XP. There are diminishing returns at the high end that make maxing out your character very difficult for everyone and only achievable by the most dedicated (and masochistic) of players. This is why just about every build you see online plans out to only level 80-85, because that is what is feasible to attain with what content is currently available. And even that is based upon an end-game, following completion of all story-related content through several difficulty levels, wherein you farm randomly-generated dungeons starting at around 70-75. I hear only a handful of people have reached 100 since the start of open beta, literally only 4 or 5, when they have several million registered accounts.

The replayability from this game comes with trying out the other classes, as well as building out each class in different ways. They're going to keep adding content on a consistent basis (small updates every two weeks with larger expansions every few months), so that should be more than enough to keep any ARPG fan satisfied (all completely FREE, no less). If your sole purpose in playing this game, is to reach the level cap with one character... Good luck, lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns
4. Re: TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns Oct 21, 2013, 18:03 jacobvandy

Of course it's bullshit, at this point they have no other choice but to spin it and find any flimsy excuse they possibly can to backtrack and try to save some face. You don't have to mention whether monetization is allowed, it's expressly implied in the game-maker/reviewer relationship. You give someone a free copy of your game, so that you get free promotion and they make money off of people reading/viewing their content. That's how it works. The vast majority of game reviewers are doing it to get paid, and the rest of them are wishing they could. No major publisher ever feels the need to spell that out in the documentation they send with press kits... It's always just "for your consideration" or something to that effect.

Even if Wild Games Studio is sincere in this apology and their reasoning for having the video pulled, they still look like complete asshats with no idea what they're doing in the industry.

News Comments > Day One: YouTube Takedown Incident
16. Re: Day One: YouTube Takedown Incident Oct 21, 2013, 13:37 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 12:08:
These guys blatantly stole assets from Killing Floor and decided to ignore Tripwire when privately confronted. They more than doubled their Kickstarter goal and still have to rip somebody's work.

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired... They didn't blatantly rip off Killing Floor, they bought the model legitimately from the Unity asset store. It says so, in plain language, on the Reddit thread you linked. It's not their fault whoever was selling it had stolen it from the KF SDK, and now they're having these legal threats piled on top of their full-tilt development cycle. For all we know, they haven't even had a chance to read their mail in the time since Tripwire tried to contact them directly, and/or they figured that since their game is still in an early alpha state, they have plenty of time to address the issue before open beta or release or whatever. But with the DMCA notice coming down a couple days ago, they're likely to get their butts in gear a little sooner than that.

Edit: Ah, further down the source material for the story (where an alleged, self-described gaming attorney comes out calling people dicks and boasting of his arsenal of dirty lawyer tricks on the Steam community forums), we have the response from the accused:

Ok everyone, Fun Pimp here, believe it or not, here is the deal;

It's not a lawsuit, nobody is getting sued. It was the zombie feral model(or Killing Floor Clot model). Fun Pimps have contacted this gentleman and are working to resolve this issue. Rest assured this has no bearing on the game, the model will be removed and the video will be recut. Simple fix to a very small and common problem due to Unity's lack of filtering of possibly copyrighted assets.

Now, please stop calling FP theives, it was an honest mistake. We got scammed on a model, don't assume we are theives just becuase someone we bought the model from stole it. We aren't here to scam anyone, we are here to make a really fun game and this model was just a small bump in the road.

I hope this quells some superstitions and arguments.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2013, 13:44.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2013, 19:56 jacobvandy

Yeah, seems neat, but I don't think I'll be paying even $12 for what is basically a virtual Goosebumps choose-your-own-adventure book.  

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
10. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 20, 2013, 16:31 jacobvandy

Unless maybe they specifically promised some big, extravagant conclusion, you most certainly do not deserve a refund for an abrupt ending... You simply bought a shitty game, so learn your lesson and move on with your life. It happens every day, albeit with less click-mongering fanfare.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 11:05 jacobvandy

Sleep wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 08:23:
NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:37:
Graham wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:23:

They hit $20-million long ago, why keep pouring fake funding in?

Long ago? You mean just over 2 weeks ago?

Sorry, but crowdfunded stuff like this follows a particular funding pattern. You don't rake in a consistent million bucks a week just off random Internet donations months after your campaign begins.

Stats or you just making shit up? Internet analysis is hilarious. And conspiracy theorists are the icing on the nutcake.

You can go to kicktraq.com and view how most successful projects' (even Star Citizen's) graph of contributions per day looks like a valley, peaking at the opening and closing. Sometimes the first peak is a little later, if they launch quietly and later get picked up by news sites and etc. And when they go on to continue taking donations after that, they're not raking in 10% of their initial goal per day. To raise tens of millions of dollars in such a steady fashion, outside of the major crowdfunding avenues, is unprecedented, to say the least. It's only natural to be suspicious of something that so drastically breaks the mold.

And I'm sorry, but the "average pledge" doesn't mean anything in this case... It would be just as easy for them to do 10,000 fake $100 pledges in their system versus 10 $100,000 pledges or 1 $1,000,000 pledge. Kickstarter acts as an unbiased third-party that helps investigate such fraud, but when they're running their own website and handling all the money directly, they can easily make shit up.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2013, 20:29 jacobvandy

So they ported from the last-gen console version instead of next-gen? I suppose the money they saved in doing so will hedge their losses if/when sales suffer.  

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
6. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 16:43 jacobvandy

Edit: nevermind, the standalone module is specifically for that one ASUS screen.

That's a good point about Mantle, though... Maybe it'd be best to wait and see what games come out supporting that, to see if the advantage is enough to make AMD cards more attractive.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 16:50.

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
1. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 16:27 jacobvandy

Sounds good to me! I've always tolerated screen tearing in games with any sort of directly-controlled action because the lag caused by v-sync is a much larger problem. But if I can have the smoother picture without that, why not? I think I'm due for a new monitor before anything else (been on the same 26" 19x12 LCD for going on 7 years), so hopefully this tech is not too expensive.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 14:50 jacobvandy

Well, I guess if there's one premium that might actually go down instead of up with Obamacare, it'd be the one for your pet(s). Adding new mandatory taxes has a tendency to make people want to spend less on other, less important things, so pet insurers will probably need to adjust accordingly.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Character Creation Trailer
7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Character Creation Trailer Oct 18, 2013, 09:17 jacobvandy

Yeah, but you have issues if simply breathing at rest causes your arms to swing back and forth... It does look worse here though because they sped up the video.  

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
39. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 17, 2013, 19:45 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 16:43:
InBlack wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 10:47:
I remember the first time I was able to jump in a FPS game. I think it was Dark Forces. It was fucking amazing. Almost as cool as being able to look up and down. That was back in (checks wikipedia) 1995....

Fuck. Now I want to play Dark Forces....man that was a great game...

Eh it was ok, I think it being the first FPS in the ST universe made it more then it was... Now Outcast\Academy were sweet games, the whole FPS with jedi powers and lightsabers was done perfectly in those titles... damn I wish they would do another one like those.

Best part: putting in the console command to turn on dismemberment. You know, like should be happening when you put a lightsaber through... anything.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 23:52 jacobvandy

$99 for an Apple product? Those things counterfeit or what?  

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 37 More Games
3. Re: Steam Greenlights 37 More Games Oct 16, 2013, 20:10 jacobvandy

Black Mesa was greenlit more than a year ago, lol, it was in the very first batch of 10. There's no helping the fact that they just can't seem to get it done. The strangest part is they already released a lot of it, just not on Steam. I guess they're waiting until it's 100% finished, but we might have Half-Life 3 before then...  

News Comments > Borderlands 2: TK Baha's Bloody Harvest Next Week
4. Re: Borderlands 2: TK Baha's Bloody Harvest Next Week Oct 16, 2013, 18:51 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 13:38:
You know, when people said they wanted more DLC, I'm not sure this is what they had in mind...

I've also stopped with the daily kill challenge, as all they're doing is just sending you by every single boss in the game. Bosses that I've already killed 800 times before, and really have no desire to kill again for a mediocre orange drop.

Yes, I hope millions of other people feel the same, so I have a better chance of winning an actual prize. :p

News Comments > Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack
5. Re: Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack Oct 16, 2013, 14:23 jacobvandy

Well yes, the Earth map is already randomized, with the only constants being the shape and layout of the continents. This pack is a bunch of "zoomed in" real-world locations with more accuracy as to the form of the landmass. Granted, there's not much reason to buy map packs with all the free custom ones out there, but this really isn't much different from the other map DLCs they've put out previously.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 16, 2013, 01:37 jacobvandy

I gotta think they have a lot more than 50 people working on that, so it's more like 1-3 months. But still, it's a bizarre choice for a "fun fact" you use to promote your game.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014
20. Re: Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014 Oct 15, 2013, 16:33 jacobvandy

Yeah, they wait until the last minute (few weeks out) to announce the delay so their existing marketing campaign doesn't go completely to waste... Just keep on raking in the pre-orders on false pretenses, knowing most people won't cancel.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 15, 2013, 13:45 jacobvandy

They're all modern games on the list because Conan really can't and won't spend a bunch of time trying to get into a game, plus if it looks like shit, that's all he'd talk about. Amnesia is the best candidate here, IMO. Slender would be #2, but it relies too much on cheap startling tactics to have any effect on someone not playing by themselves, at night, in the dark, etc.

I'm not at all impressed by the trailers for Outlast. I remember seeing the longer gameplay one like a year ago, and it was predictable and boring as fuck. Though I imagine playing the game itself must be a whole lot better to merit all the hype around it lately?

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
53. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 13:37 jacobvandy

avianflu wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 09:23:
Some good points jacob, but from Steam's POV why bother with the potential legal hassle of an app that plays game ROMS -- that are still the legal property of game companies? There is nothing in it for Steam, but hassle.

i.e. SEGA sells emulations of their own games on Steam so they wouldnt be thrilled with Steam selling an indie gamer emulator.

Lol, it's time for you to RTFA, friend. It's not being sold on Steam, it's not even an app that you use to play ROMs. It's a batch of simple commands to streamline the process of adding these games to your own personal, local library.

2284 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo