Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
30. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 21:33 jacobvandy

Lol, now that is funny! Go ahead and add "profoundly influencing emotion" to your list of delusions... By now I can see that rational argument is lost on you, so by all means, carry on with your asininity.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 20:54 jacobvandy

ItBurn wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 20:37:
I'm all for voting with your wallet, but the other part doesn't make sense. Take the example of a political candidate. You may have voted for them, but that doesn't mean you can't complain about them.

And why would you complain about a politician? Because they do something you thought they wouldn't/shouldn't, or lie to you, etc. But if the politician does exactly what he said he would do, and you knew what that was when you voted for him, you have no right to complain. YOU are the one to blame, because if you disagreed with what he said he would do, you shouldn't have voted for him...

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:37 jacobvandy

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 20:13:
I've heard of people using the category feature on steam to make a games inbox of sorts, start at the top and give a game, say, 15 minutes. If it doesn't grab them, put it in the "nope" category and uninstall it with a clear conscience. Sounds too much like work for something that's supposed to be fun, though.

Yeah, but if you've grown your library to the point of needing categorization, you've pretty much brought that upon yourself, heh.

23. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 20:31 jacobvandy

ItBurn wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:34:
Your opinion has been noted.
I still believe that naming it a SEASON pass and not giving you everything that was released during a SEASON, is bullshit.

It's not the first time Gearbox has done what some may call false advertising. They were actually sued for the Alien fiasco. But in the season pass case, it's entirely within the law. Doesn't make it moral.

Many other games from several different publishers do such DLC bundles in the same way... That is, offering major ones at a pre-order discount, instead of giving you EVERYTHING they release for one low price. Your problem lies with your own perception of what a "season pass" should be, and that it does not match up with standard, clearly advertised, industry practice. The solution? Don't buy a damned season pass, or if you do, don't complain about getting exactly what you paid for.

6. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 17:31 jacobvandy

ItBurn wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 17:17:
This season pass bullshit is bullshit. I paid one price to get everything, but I don't get everything. None of the cosmetic DLCs, not all mission DLCs. Bullshit.

Yup, blame them for your own stupid assumption, that's the way to be!

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 16:24 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 15:56:
Yea for what you can get the whole Skyrim package for, 9.99 is to high for Dragonborn. Also waiting for 5.00.

And that is exactly the kind of flawed reasoning that makes people take a shit on Steam sales now, lol... It's not that they aren't reducing prices as much as they always have, it's that we've all been spoiled by deep discounts and don't appreciate them anymore. Can't you just accept that you get an amazing deal on the base game, and then a not as great but still pretty darn good one on a much newer, full-fledged expansion pack? C'mon, son.

4. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 16:11 jacobvandy

There's almost definitely gonna be a second season pass. Has any other game done that before? I can't think of any. I have to admit I wasn't expecting another level cap raise so soon, though. You're either going to have to save the UVHM DLC until after you're done with the campaign so that it scales to you or grind the hell out of this new randomized arena thing, in order to reach 72 under normal circumstances. I.e. not just using the save editor to bump yourself up, which is what I've done with a couple of characters to start on UVHM right away.  

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announcement Tomorrow
14. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announcement Tomorrow Jul 19, 2013, 14:20 jacobvandy

I don't know what grenade you got, but the bee shield is definitely from the base game. You may have found it while playing the Tina DLC (high enough tiers of enemies have a small chance to drop anything from the pool of oranges), but that's not something introduced by it and found exclusively there. Just like the pearls, those were added for UVHM and are spread across all content. It's certainly possible, though, that the level 50+ items are super powerful to the point of negating the usefulness of anything introduced previously. I haven't gotten around to starting that third consecutive playthrough yet.  

11. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announcement Tomorrow Jul 19, 2013, 13:05 jacobvandy

Lol, so you get lucky and call that easy loot? I put at least 100E in there and the best I got was a purple coach gun. Hit the rainbow money jackpot several times, though. My point is that they at least gave you real opportunity for loot in Scarlett. Like two dozen chests with almost half of them being uber unique ones with guaranteed high quality. Your RNG mileage obviously varies, as always. I saw lots of purples, even if only a couple were upgrades. I guess I could run through and hit those die chests several times hoping for high rolls, but they were not so satisfying in the actual playthrough of the campaign. "Oh finally, a chest!" Then you roll a goddamn 3 and get a couple whites...

You're crazy if you didn't think some of those Captain Scarlett were were at least usable, though. The electric-skull shotgun, acid-hawk SMG, and cannonball launcher were amazing and saw a ton of use at level 50 with my Commando. Chewed through many a Terramorphous and that first raid boss. Even the pistol was good, I just had purple revolver that was better. Many of the other ones were more situational or build-specific, but to call them all 'fucking terrible' makes me question your judgment as a player.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2013, 13:15.

9. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announcement Tomorrow Jul 19, 2013, 12:15 jacobvandy

Finally played through the main quest of Tiny Tina's last night, and the setting/writing/dialogue was definitely a breath of fresh air. Dragged on a bit in the second half though (especially once you went down in the tower dungeon) because the enemies just keep on spawning and spawning and spawning, sequentially after you defeat the two or three that exist in the room at one time. Andthose mini-boss enemies that start out a few levels higher than where you probably are, and THEN level up 3-4 times throughout the fight to become practically impossible to kill, are just plain fucking bullshit. Both of these reasons had me running through a few sections and ignoring everything else because it became too boring and/or frustrating. This was on TVHM, starting the DLC at level 35.

Also didn't get shit for loot, because of those stupid chests that roll a 20-sided die to determine the quality of items inside and lack of decent reward from killing major bosses. Yeah, sure, "loot-splosions" look pretty cool because they litter an entire arena with drops, but when there's only 1-2 blue/purples in there, it's ultimately unsatisfying. Maybe my good stuff got stuck in the floor or fell off the side and into the abyss (one happened on a bridge maybe 20 feet wide), or I'm just unlucky... Say what you will about Captain Scarlett, but at least that one showered you with unique loot throughout the DLC and gave you a proper treasure room after the end-boss.

Anyway, I'll be sure to check out the crapload of side quests available back in town, and I'm definitely looking forward to more DLC. If you hadn't heard, or didn't pay attention after beating it, the end of Tiny Tina's hinted really, really strongly that the Hyperion moon base was next up. Or at least in the works.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants
6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 19:49 jacobvandy

Uh, no... By definition, it is not pay-to-win if everyone is paying the same subscription and has the same access to the same buffs for no extra cost. That's just a design oversight and poor balance, if you can take a bunch of buffs from PVE and have an advantage in PVP. Most games don't allow that (I doubt WoW does anymore, though I can't be sure), because it's just not conducive to fair competition.

Pay-to-win would be giving you the option to spend real money on buffs or items which offer a competitive advantage over somebody who doesn't have them, especially if they cannot be attained any other way. I.e. exactly what they wanted to do with PS2, by letting you become invisible to radar or thermal vision, etc. It's viewed as a negative thing by the majority of people because the majority of people who play F2P games don't spend any money, either because they can't or they just don't want to. P2W elements foster the idea that spending money is strongly encouraged, if not mandatory, to a fair gameplay experience... A PVP-based game has little room for error in this regard. PS2 has a bad enough reputation with their cash shop as it has always existed, they don't need to be adding crap like this to make it worse.

News Comments > End of Nations Alpha Returns
3. Re: End of Nations Alpha Returns Jul 17, 2013, 23:06 jacobvandy

Rise of Nations is perhaps my favorite RTS game of all time, because it's a real-time Civ, basically. Unfortunately, I believe it's been in licensing hell for the past decade or so, which is why we've not seen anything new from the IP nor the older game(s) appearing on Steam or GOG or anywhere...  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2013, 22:47 jacobvandy

Yeah, Evoland says right on the tin that it's a short story of blah blah blah. Not terribly enticing even at $5, when someone could just read Wikipedia if they wanted to learn that stuff (without all the bad jokes).  

News Comments > 7 Days to Die Kickstarter
3. Re: 7 Days to Die Kickstarter Jul 17, 2013, 11:48 jacobvandy

In case anyone's wondering like I was, if you pre-ordered the game on their website any time in the past couple months, it's equivalent to the $35 tier with alpha and beta access.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming
6. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 02:54 jacobvandy

Obviously a lot of people like it, or else Twitch wouldn't be exploding in popularity... It's like gaming videos on YouTube, except a lot of it is happening live, so there's that aspect of interactivity. You might want to check out some gameplay of a title you don't own, or learn how to play [better] from people who know what they're doing. Games like Path of Exile that also have a component of high-level competition are very attractive to viewers. That's where the bulk of the traffic will be, as opposed to random dudes streaming everyday gameplay, which is what you're probably envisioning.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2013, 15:34 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:34:
Leper wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:41:
I was one of the people waiting for FEZ to go on sale or drop in price, but I imagine a lot of other people saw that it was on sale, looked at the reviews and decided it was worth it. So far, it's been a great game.

the reviews are sort of overrated... it's an okay game, not amazing

On Twitter, Fez creator Phil Fish described the numbers as "BANANERS" and "fuckin' NUTSO," ...

yeh, okay there bro. from the way this guy talks, it's no wonder his partner left him

I can't say I'd fault him for that reaction, even if he is a big douchenozzle... That's like half a million bucks, so even after Valve's cut and taxes, it's a hell of a haul for two days.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 06:24 jacobvandy

If you're referring to ones that say "Getaway Sale" at the bottom, that confused my friend, too; they're random. 10 different games are headlining 10 days of sales, and so they're the ones featured on the set of trading cards used to earn the summer sale badge. Those cards are earned for participating in the sale or crafting game badges. You don't get the Tomb Raider card for owning that game, or the Skyrim card for owning that one, but you do get some of their own set of cards for playing them (like you did with The Witcher 2).

All you do to earn your free card drops is have the game running, so some people just alt-tab at the main menu. I'm not sure whether it's a small chance you could get one every minute, or if it's every X amount of time, but it usually takes up to 2-3 hours, depending on how many cards are in the set. You get half the total number in the set, rounded up, but that might include a duplicate or two. And so, it is mandatory to either trade with friends or buy/sell on the market in order to complete a set and craft a game badge. Crafting a badge gets you XP to level up your Steam account, a random emoticon and profile background image associated with that game, and for now, a Getaway card. Before the sale, that last thing was a random coupon.

Basically, it's a pretty genius hybrid of gamification and "collect 'em all" syndrome to get people more involved with Steam and the games available there. Kind of like how in previous sales they encouraged buying games you don't necessarily want, in order to achieve some objective and get a reward of not very high value, except the trading cards thing is happening ALL THE TIME now, with sets constantly being added to more games (new sets will probably eventually be added to games that already have them, too)... Meanwhile Valve takes 5% of each of the zillions of transactions going on in the community market, heh. Developers get 10%.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 06:29.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 23:12 jacobvandy

Finally got to use the XCOM Squad added to Civ V with BNW... They're every bit as awesome as you would expect. They're an upgrade to the paratrooper, bit stronger than modern armor, and can airdrop up to 40 tiles away (half-way across the world on a large map). When you do that, you see the dropship zoom across the tile and the squad float down on jump jets, and then you blast fools in the face with plasma HMGs. May be the best cross-franchise cameo ever!  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 14, 2013, 19:38 jacobvandy

It better be the camera... I gotta say I'm with Cutter if it's anything else.  

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 15:56 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 15:06:
nin wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 13:09:
BL2 season pass for $10 is a nice deal for folks that don't have it. Only thing I've grabbed so far was Shock 2 for $2.50 this morning...

Also, I'll take any spare card you don't have that I need. Thanks!

Ugh, shoulda known that, I put all mine up for sale for a few pennies. (and sold all of them too, in like minutes. Crazy.)

Creston

Lol, you sure it wasn't a few seconds? Some cards are around 10-15 cents and others are around 20-25, I think it has to do with how many are in the set, or other random factors. But one thing I am sure of, is there are whackos out there with no life and/or a really nice bot setup, playing trading cards like the stock market and buying all the low-priced outliers like yours, then throwing them up at or just under market value. They be rollin' in copper swimming pools, I'm sure...

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo