Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2352 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age
4. Re: Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age Dec 8, 2013, 21:24 jacobvandy

Yeah... Having backed this as a project that was not pitched as aiming to waste money on include celebrity voice-overs, I'm somewhat concerned.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands
6. Re: Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands Dec 8, 2013, 15:27 jacobvandy

You grossly underestimate the success of the Borderlands franchise if you think they felt the sting of Aliens' failure at all. Like a mosquito trying to bite a rhinoceros, that. At least monetarily.  

News Comments > Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax
18. Re: Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax Dec 7, 2013, 17:35 jacobvandy

They didn't deny it sooner because it was free hype for a property they own. More people are more excited for Fallout 4 because of it, than people are upset and angry that it was fake. Not even fake, really, just somewhat misleading. It's kind of the outdated, cold, corporate analogue to Valve supporting the Black Mesa mod. The whole "we do not comment on rumors" thing just doesn't fly anymore. You don't have to issue a press statement to magazines or take the time to do an interview with one of the top web sites anymore... It takes 10 seconds to shoot out a tweet.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 5, 2013, 23:05 jacobvandy

Yeah, the lowest tier with beta access was the $55 digital deluxe edition thing. I went with the $50 physical box, so no beta access, but I'd rather have a cloth map and old-school manual. Besides, this is one of those games where I think I'd rather skip the rough early version and keep myself fresh to enjoy the proper release.  

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
20. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 19:23 jacobvandy

It's a 1.5GB download, but it requires 3GB of space.  

15. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 14:43 jacobvandy

Overpriced? You're insane. Unless someone just doesn't get it and hates the game, there's no way you spend less than 30 hours in something like this. Many people get a lot more out of it, like how I played Terraria for 200+ hours over multiple playthroughs since it came out. By every measure, Starbound promises much more content than that, and a more cohesive world-hopping experience to boot (including areas that are more difficult than the one you start in).  

1. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 09:02 jacobvandy

I had to jimmy a simple yet bizarre fix to get the thing to finally launch (no idea how someone could have figured out that it was a directory structure issue, nor how that only affects certain people), but the game is already pretty awesome. It plays like a very heavily modded version of Terraria, so obviously only fans of that title need apply.  

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
29. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 12:37 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 12:18:
Noooooooooo! Really??

I told you everyone was celebrating too early when they announced they were killing GfmfWL. They're just replacing it with XboxLive/Threshold, which'll be just as shit on the PC.

The difference now will be that, hopefully, publishers will be less likely to get in bed with Microsoft after the GFWL disaster. Especially now that Steamworks has really taken off and offers a very strong alternative that was just barely functional 6 or so years ago when MS was tooting their horn and promising massive PC marketing campaigns and all that nonsense (remember the kiosks? lol).

Another good thing to come from this -- Microsoft is going to have to try a whole lot harder if their goal is indeed to compete in the PC gaming online service arena. Either that, or pay a lot more in bribes...

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
20. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 15:22 jacobvandy

Axis wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 14:37:
The cooldown timer is 20 seconds, they implemented it to stop the servers getting overloaded with requests as some had it auto-oos which is against the tos anyway.

I barely use the oos command unless I'm forced to target a mob like a boss, once you figure out it's the mob targeting that causes most desyncs you'll almost never need to /oos.

If their servers had enough hamsters, that wouldn't be an issue and/or we wouldn't need /oos. And I'm not sure you realize how ridiculous it is to suggest people don't click on monsters in an ARPG...

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
17. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 14:28 jacobvandy

Their issue with desync stems from how costly the network code is, bandwidth wise, on a fundamental level. In dictating that the entirety of gameplay must be simulated on the server to validate the fast-paced and tactical action as it plays out on the client, there is very little room for error or latency. Certain actions end up waiting for several hundred milliseconds for a response from the server, while others simply fall out of sync and they cannot afford to resync every client as often as it would take to eliminate [most of] the byproduct lag. They were having issues with 50k players merely being online at the same time at launch... Hell, they even put a cooldown timer on the /oos command (to force resync) that only a fraction of the players know about, let alone use on a regular basis. They cannot and will not change the code in a way that sacrifices the responsiveness of combat -- which I have to respect -- but unless they start seriously upgrading their server infrastructure, the problem will continue to persist and drive people off. It's a tough pill to swallow both for them and their dumber hardcore fans that insist it's a problem with your internet connection and not the game, but them's the breaks.

Other than that though, fantastic game.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2013, 14:42.

News Comments > Survivor 2299: "Nuclear winter has come"
5. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 11:33 jacobvandy

Well that confirms its Fallout... Now to find out if it's official or not.  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
20. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 17:23 jacobvandy

Yeah, "lanes" = MOBA. I would welcome a Warhammer 40k tower defense, but sadly...  

News Comments > Starbound Beta This Week
4. Re: RE: Follow up Dec 1, 2013, 21:15 jacobvandy

UConnBBall wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 19:48:
It was a full minute of FTL ride to a star. Took forever and that was a standout youtube video they placed on their website. Was looking forward to it but I am too old to be waiting for load screens now a days.

I haven't seen it so I'm not sure how they have it set up exactly, but that sounds like they're generating a new world at that point. A large map in Terraria takes about the same time to create the first time, but then you spend dozens of hours exploring it with minimal load upon starting up the game, so... It's the price you pay for literally infinite game space to explore.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 17:53 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:44:
"Skyrim was developed for the XBox first and foremost", really? What, because the UI was so retarded? You simply cannot claim that. Apart from the inv system, the game is an absolute jewel from the PC gamer point of view, since vanilla day one. Great visuals, great performance, great gameplay. Trust me, Skyrim is one of the few games out there that was built for the PC the moment the first brainstorm session marked it's conception.

The gameplay works, but it was plainly designed on a fundamental level for a gamepad (the whole left-hand, right-hand concept for example). Did they ever even fix the inability to rebind certain keys? You don't hardcode keys in a PC version of anything... And don't forget the severe memory limitations built in to the engine we've suffered since Oblivion that are the main reason the draw distance is such crap.

News Comments > Open-World Star Wars Game Clues
15. Re: Open-World Star Wars Game Clues Nov 30, 2013, 17:13 jacobvandy

Skyrim with lightsabers would sell millions.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
25. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 14:15 jacobvandy

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:53:
Most homes don't even have a pc anymore.

Way to talk out of your ass there, Johnson. The US Census reported in 2011 (latest year data is available) that 75.6% of households have at least one personal computer. If you're purporting that more than 1/3 of those households have gotten rid of it in favor of a tablet or some junk within the past two years, I might have to ask what exactly it is that you're smoking...

News Comments > Black Friday Metaverse
14. Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2013, 23:12 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 13:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 11:52:
it would be worth a very swift $10 million today."

I don't understand a damn thing about bitcoins, but who exactly would he sell it too? Who is going to buy these things when they're floating on the largest bubble ever seen by humanity? It's not as if they're traded on NASDAQ and you can always sell. You actually need someone willing to pay the money.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to offload them all at once. In fact, it'd be pretty stupid to do so, because you'd be driving your own price down. That's why the value has been fluctuating so wildly, people trading in high quantities. Just keep an eye on it and drop one or two hundred at a time, max.

News Comments > GeForce 331.93 Beta Drivers
6. Re: GeForce 331.93 Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2013, 15:18 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 13:16:
This new beta driver... ensures maximum performance and system stability across all titles

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that one.

Well 'maximum' is a relative term. They don't guarantee it's flawless, just that it's as good as it gets right now.

News Comments > State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay?
7. Re: State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay? Nov 29, 2013, 15:15 jacobvandy

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 15:01:
The inventory/item management interface is clunky - clearly this originated as a console game.

Brilliant deduction! :p It was an XBLA blockbuster last summer and is being ported to PC by popular demand. That's why it's early access; the game itself was already finished.

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Nov 28, 2013, 18:14 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 18:12:
Decided to not buy Skyrim, had that Sleeping Dogs and Dead Island in my cart. Then I thought, I got 5 PC games yet to play and probably that many untouched PS3 games and not to mention I'm pretty much only playing GTA right now... and I'm thinking of buying more games?

C'mon man, there's always room for more!

2352 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo