Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2369 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 21, 2013, 23:50 jacobvandy

I've been using the same old free Winamp for like 7 years... Once they added Flac support, there's absolutely nothing else in an update I could possibly want or need. Classic skin, enable Windows hotkeys so the four keyboard buttons work, done.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
19. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 20, 2013, 19:34 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 14:37:
Free trade, people, free trade! But of course not for the pariahs, the regular consumers. They can go and suck it!

Dear publisher, developers, Valve: If you do this, then this means that you actively refuse to allow me access to a game. You won't sell it to me, and now I can't even get it gifted. I have hundreds of games on Steam, but if you do this, than it is YOU who forces me into warez. Yes, YOU! You're sitting in the US and could tell OZ, German, and other governments to go and fxxk themselves, but instead you bow to those self-procalimed godfathers of morale and tell the consumers, YOUR consumers to pxxs off. And you know what? You do this, and I will do it and pxxs off. With my money. That you don't want. It's up to you, it's your choice. At least give me the chance to ask some people here and elsewhere to gift me games that you refuse to sell to me directly, but if you even refuse to do this, if you dare to stick a yellow star or whatever on me, then I'll be gone. And I WILL play those games, but without paying you, the developers, the publishers. Because you don't want to sell. Your mistake, not mine. I can solve this problem by taking all of you out of the equation. Decided wisely.

Sorry for the drama, but this pixxes me off HUGE TIME!

You are so misguided in your anger, it's bordering on comical. You don't think Steam wants your money? This isn't their decision, it's the publisher calling the shots in deciding how their product is distributed. Cross-region second-hand markets that exploit price differences are highly offensive to the people who own the properties, and should probably be illegal outright. This is just them closing that loophole. And did you ever think it might even be the politicians in your country pressuring Valve and/or the publishers to not allow the indirect sale of outlawed media? Maybe you should find a new place to live, if you're not allowed to buy what you want there... You're all about free trade, so why the hell are you living in a place that doesn't allow it? Take some time to think about what you're saying before you say it.

News Comments > Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern
11. Re: Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern Dec 20, 2013, 19:22 jacobvandy

Yeah... Warframe is nothing but instanced missions, very similar to Mass Effect 3 multiplayer except that you're the aggressor rather than the defender. The only thing they really have in common is the concept of cybernetic armor bestowing your abilities.  

News Comments > Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern
3. Re: Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern Dec 20, 2013, 11:57 jacobvandy

I have mixed feelings about this... I had been a huge proponent of the game since I started playing early last year, sunk about $150 of support into it since then, but I haven't touched it in six months now. They finally released a new class, but it was very unimaginative and the only reason it was fun to play for a while is it was something new. Then they came out and announced they were abandoning the idea of the huge open world, in favor of simply a lot more little instances that you teleport to... Crafting and progression were a big mess since they overhauled it, but the gameplay remained really fun. The dynamic missions were a great addition, but they seemed stuck in a rut of overthinking core mechanics and wanting to re-do them all the time rather than focusing on polish and adding more content.

Kern was a great guy, he was always on the forums talking with people, etc. But I can't say I blame them for the mutiny. They've been hemorrhaging players lately, and somebody has to take the fall. However, there's an argument to be made for him being the savior of the project when it almost fell to the wayside several years ago, and championing the virtues of avoiding pay-to-win and gating content. Him leaving could be very bad for the game. Or it could be very good. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
9. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2013, 00:27 jacobvandy

Enemy Within will almost surely have a better discount during a daily and/or flash sale. What you see now is its somewhat less impressive 'throughout the event' price. Standard wait and see, monitor your wishlist to see if/when things go on daily deals protocol applies. If not, and you still want it, then buy it on the last day. Still two more weeks to see and bitch about, guys!  

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
15. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 22:39 jacobvandy

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:35:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:32:
My decision to buy or not buy will depend on more clarification of exactly what new features will or will not be a part of the free patch versus what requires purchasing the expansion. To be fair, though, we already know that it's a good deal more than just "one class and one act" for that $40.

If the PTR is accurate, then the new loot system and balancing are primarily what you get if you don't upgrade. Adventure mode, loot runs, the new act, the new class, the new crafter, and all of that are exclusive to the expansion. The new loot system is great though: when something drops it's a source of excitement rather than a drudge.

Yeah, I've read some player impressions. The problem is that there is no recent official statement, and some of what is being said conflicts with what they said in the past. Can't tell whether what they're seeing now on the PTR is exactly what the patch will be, or if they were only looking for feedback on the new loot and nothing else.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
11. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 22:32 jacobvandy

You don't have to buy the expansion to get the new loot system. BUT, you will have to buy the expansion to unlock the new crafting vendor, and her functions in adding or re-rolling stats on items is an integral part of the balance of the new loot system...

My decision to buy or not buy will depend on more clarification of exactly what new features will or will not be a part of the free patch versus what requires purchasing the expansion. To be fair, though, we already know that it's a good deal more than just "one class and one act" for that $40.

News Comments > DayZ Character Wipes
6. Re: DayZ Character Wipes Dec 19, 2013, 18:43 jacobvandy

A buddy and I were playing nice yesterday, teamed up with some other players we came across randomly. There's obviously an uneasiness on both sides, especially when guns are involved, but we got along for half an hour or so running around and looting. Made our way to Zelenogorsk, and we had just finished looting the new miitaru barracks there and the grocery store. Found a water well and decided to drink and fill our bottles... I guess the one guy still with us saw an opportunity with our guards down (weapons unequipped) and crouched right next to each other, and POW POW POW blew us away, lol.

On the bright side, bullet trauma often ruins most of what otherwise would be lootable on a person, so I doubt he got away with much. But that kind of betrayal from a guy who was literally 30 seconds before chatting away with us... It's the kind of thing that turns you to the shoot first, ask no questions mentality.

News Comments > DayZ Sales Soar
20. Re: DayZ Sales Soar Dec 18, 2013, 12:55 jacobvandy

It's always been meant as a survival game, and the zombie apocalypse is pretty much just an excuse for the environment to be what it is. They cranked up the difficulty with the standalone so much, just in terms of basic scavenging and sustaining yourself, that people's attitudes have drastically changed (at least for now). You're much less likely to risk going around guns a-blazing because of how hard you've worked to keep yourself alive long enough to find some weapons and ammo. So more complicated and realistic survival mechanics (like needing to purify water and sterilize medical supplies, test your blood to make sure that transfusion will help rather than hurt) combined with a larger and more dynamic zombie threat (not implemented yet, in fact the zombies have been toned down just to test out the other stuff) will make this much less of a deathmatch game compared to before. Basic crafting is already in, but that will be expanded greatly all the way up to building fortifications and digging out underground bunkers and shit...

The planned features list is fucking bananas, and to expect everything to be ready for the first alpha release is naive and shortsighted, to say the least. Opening it up to the general public is just the next stage of testing performance, basic gameplay mechanics, entity spawning behavior, controls, graphics, etc.

News Comments > DayZ Sales Soar
2. Re: DayZ Sales Soar Dec 17, 2013, 20:10 jacobvandy

There are not 142k people online. That's probably how many unique people have made characters or whatever. They use Steamworks now, so you can track online concurrency with 100% accuracy at a glance. Peak so far has been 34,000, currently at 22k in between Garry's Mod and Counter-Strike 1.6.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Alpha for Backers
8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Alpha for Backers Dec 17, 2013, 13:28 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 11:10:
Well, I backed W2 but I'm regretting it now. Anyone who sells beta spots are assholes in my book. It's a tool to create a better product, not a marketing gimmick. At least that's how it should be. Larian is actually concerned about putting out a good game. InXile seems to be all about marketing. And Obsidian is pissing me off too. At this point Larian is the only one I'd back on another KS going forward.

They DID sell alpha and beta access during the Kickstarter... They recently decided to give it to everyone because of delays they've had. I'm not sure if people got refunds or other compensation, but either way I'm sure they caught shit for it. $135 was the minimum tier for alpha access, or you could add-on for $50 to any other tier.

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed
12. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 13:25 jacobvandy

This is probably the new X-wing vs. TIE everyone was asking for, so you can take it or leave it.  

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
5. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 17, 2013, 12:50 jacobvandy

At least they realized that Dead Island needed a reboot. Mulligan!  

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
52. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 17, 2013, 02:04 jacobvandy

Apparently they sold 20,000 copies of DayZ in the first hour it was available. Hopefully that instant $850k-$1 million (depending on exactly how many people had gone for the $95 Supporter Edition on the BI website, which was utterly crushed by the demand this afternoon) gives development the shot in the arm it needs.  

8. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:27 jacobvandy

There was never really a punishment, it just made you look like a bandit instead of a civilian if you "murdered" enough people. But "murders" are only kills against other survivors (as opposed to bandits), and the population was never, ever neatly divided into player-killers and co-operators, so being a bandit for defending yourself against other survivors trying to kill you didn't mean much. And most people seek after the lootable clothing that camouflages you anyway, so even if you were a bandit, nobody could tell if you were wearing a soldier's uniform or ghillie suit that overrides the default skin.  

4. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:42 jacobvandy

Sadly, an all-caps message like that at the top of the store page is pretty much a requirement now, what with all the morons ignorant of what Early Access means or even that the game they just bought is a part of the program at all.

I was surprised by the price, based on previous statements made about following the Minecraft model and what the price of the finished product would be. Unlike a lot of other games, there are legitimate reasons to ask WTF is up with that here. Ultimately comes down to that they're charging it just because they can, most likely.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 02:04 jacobvandy

I just looked again and now Dragon Age is there... So I'm thoroughly confused, lol.  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 00:23 jacobvandy

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

Now that I'm looking at it, I don't see Dragon Age on there anywhere? Wasteland 2 is #3 and it goes on down the rest as shown in the post except with CS:GO at the end. Weird.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 21:30 jacobvandy

Domgrief wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 21:02:
If backers got steam keys to play the beta, maybe Valve's report shows all key registrations/activations, and not just transactions through the Steam storefront.

Though if that was true, there'd be a spike every time a steam-key-in-a-box AAA title (activision, zenimax, etc.) was released to brick-and-mortar stores.

Nope... How many times must it be explained that these Top 10 lists are based on weekly revenue flowing through Steam? They saw no revenue from keys handed out to people that pledged to a Kickstarter or paid directly via PayPal and saw fulfillment from Humble Bundle. These are all purchases made this week, on Steam.

Don't ask how or why that works, developers getting Steam keys in bulk for their game they sold elsewhere. I don't know. Maybe it's negotiated as a couple extra points for Valve on their Steam contract, or maybe it's included as a service for everyone who publishes there. Either way, it doesn't mesh with the tracking of total revenue, i.e. what people paid at check-out (such as $59.99 for Wasteland 2 early access).

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:48.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 19:14 jacobvandy

I'll be surprised if Wasteland 2 is more than $29.99 at launch. $39.99 will probably be the digital deluxe with the soundtrack and other extras.  

2369 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo