Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2301 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Reviews Open Beta
14. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 14:43 jacobvandy

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:26:
Pffft steam is doing this because many good games are getting shit reviews and many bad games are getting good ones.

Shadow warrior, without a doubt was one of the best FPS games of the last decade and it's sitting at fucking 73 on metacritic. This is just what we get when a generation of gamers is raised on halo and CoD/BF military wanking.

How the fuck anyone with any hint of what makes a good FPS can give Shadow warrior 2013 a fucking 74 (aka bad game) is pretty braindead.

Metacritic is fundamentally broken because they include people who are just fucking incompetent at game reviewing. You can see it in the user scores.

The User score for shadow warrior is higher then the MC rating.

In general, a 74 is an average game. Nothing special, but not a waste of money, either. I'm not sure what more you could ask for when talking about a rehashed old-school FPS? And that's assuming the already flawed method of using a 1-100 scale like they do in schools where anything under 60 is failing. Not everybody does that, either, which is the biggest problem with MetaCritic mashing them all up and even converting ratings out of 5 stars, etc. If a bunch of reviewers go by the philosophy that school grading is retarded because more than half the numbers are only degrees of how much it fucking sucks, and say 50 is average, it totally clashes with those rating everything that is decent 75+.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M
33. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 22:50 jacobvandy

Denthor wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 19:46:

With that budget how much of it was licensing (music etc)? How much was for big name V/A? How much for technical complications of memory management with parallel development (PS3/Xbox)?

I get your point tho, i'm skeptical as well - but big budget games *waste* so much money on seemingly frivolous stuff that doesn't really impact the game play a great deal rather it impacts their ability to market the game.

Time will tell i guess and like you i am hopeful they can pull it off.

Not a whole lot, lol... GTA V has the worst, most obscure soundtrack of all the games except maybe the one(s) where they produced much of the music themselves. And there are no big name voice actors in it at all. It's not like San Andreas where they had Sam Jackson as a major character. Looking at Wikipedia, the only person I vaguely recognize is the guy who used to play the little fat kid in Nickelodeon's The Adventures of Pete & Pete. No, the money for GTA V went to #1 marketing and #2 art production/modeling for the largest open world environment ever.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Next Year
3. Re: Raven's Cry next Year Nov 23, 2013, 20:25 jacobvandy

Yeah, skip the Guitar Hero minigame this time, and put that work into making the actual game better.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 12:19 jacobvandy

The Matrix lawsuit thing is a lie. In fact, that propaganda website is only re-posting an article from about 10 years ago that itself was proven false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/matrix.asp

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 19, 2013, 16:51 jacobvandy

Once it hit the mainstream, it became overrun by speculators and other slick suits manipulating it to make a quick buck. In part because that's just capitalism and people taking advantage of it, but there's probably also an aspect of government entities from around the world fucking with it just to ensure it fails as an actual currency.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 19, 2013, 12:39 jacobvandy

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre... 3 summers ago I dabbled in mining on a couple machines and earned 6 or 7 BTC... Then when I decided I didn't want to just eat the twice-normal power bill that month, I sold them for around $15 each to cover it and get a little profit on top. Needless to say, been feeling a little down lately, lol.  

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
20. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 12:46 jacobvandy

Apparently you can tell this is/was console trash the moment you start up the game, because the UI is 100% made for controllers and low resolutions. It's really bad, like you have to click on something on the main menu once to select it, and then again to actually make it go. And text is about 5 pixels tall on a 1080p monitor...  

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
46. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 01:47 jacobvandy

Asmo wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 22:21:
Flak wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:12:
Fallout 3, while technically a mess to say the least, is one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory. If they can get the writing and characters improved, Fallout 4 could be a killer title.

Lets hope Bethesda has learned from their previous shortcomings.

My Fallout 3 experience:

Played through, game save was corrupted and unrecoverable right outside the final showdown.

My Fallout NV experience:

Played through, game corrupted at the zombie rocket mission (about 60 hours through, I had a lot of mods...), crashing and unrecoverable on top of Hoover Damn near the final fight.

I don't care what the f#ck they do, they need to fix the bugs first and foremost. I never had a problem with Skyrim so here's hoping, but being such a huge FO fan, those two games were soul killing, particularly since the whole experience leading to that point was so damn good...

You waive any right to complain about bugs when you use mods.

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
15. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 16:25 jacobvandy

More people use the Workshop than the Nexus, pretty much by default... And it's a lot easier than using a third-party mod manager.  

News Comments > DayZ Gameplay Trailer
23. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:21 jacobvandy

Not much point in releasing gameplay footage at this time, because all you do is stir up the previous 20 comments in this thread... 90% of the work they've been doing is behind the scenes, something you'd have to get a feel for by playing yourself. Because it's true, the game does look outwardly as if very little has changed in the past 18 months. I'm not sure Rocket realizes this, having such intimate knowledge of the mechanics that no average spectator does. He and his pep squad love to counter comments like these with "You have no idea dood, it's a totally different game!" It's just hard to show that right now.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2013, 13:42 jacobvandy

FWIW, one of the changes they've made lately to Steam downloads is the option to launch a game WITHOUT updating. You've had the ability to disable automatic updates to games for a long time, but when you went to play it you'd have to update it anyway... But not anymore. This literally happened like 3 days ago, for the beta client.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage
21. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage Nov 14, 2013, 18:25 jacobvandy

I'm not sure Frostbite is capable of a huge, open world. We love to bitch about the shortcomings of Gamebryo, but they're trade-offs that apparently had to be made for such a large and detailed seamless environment. Bethesda is surely working on a next-gen game in either Fallout 4 or TES VI, and hopefully that includes a brand new engine that can offer Frostbite-like fidelity in a truly open world. The timing is right for another overhaul similar to that between Morrowind and Oblivion.  

News Comments > World of Warplanes Takes Off
10. Re: World of Warplanes Takes Off Nov 13, 2013, 14:38 jacobvandy

I've always played the arcade mode with friends, but War Thunder does have more realistic modes where the handling and characteristics are supposedly closer to reality. The "historical sim" mode or whatever it's called, the highest difficulty, also requires you take off at the start and land at the end IIRC.

But yeah, getting knocked out fucking sucks. I realize it was a very real danger of having bullets shot at you through canvas or sheet metal or whatever was separating you from big blue, it just doesn't make for fun gameplay and should not be a part of the arcade mode at all. Nothing's worse than deploying one of your best planes, ready to kick some ass, and being immediately knocked out before you even get to fire a shot.

News Comments > New 7 Days to Die Alpha
9. Re: New 7 Days to Die Alpha Nov 12, 2013, 20:23 jacobvandy

Yeah, with the overlap between Kickstarter and Steam Early Access, the paradigm is shifting... More projects are maintaining fairness for early backers and charging MORE for earlier access and less for the finl version. If you don't want to pay that much, just wait. I'm glad I got the preorder on their website before the KS, $15 for the game with alpha access. :p  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 11, 2013, 22:33 jacobvandy

It's been pretty much inevitable ever since they started handling distribution for numerous indie games, and then even more so once they started with the weekly sales that meant they were ALWAYS selling something even when a Bundle wasn't going on. Another place to get discounted Steam keys is cool, and the charity angle might be enough of a hook to keep them in that business (of having a proper store) for a good while.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 18:48 jacobvandy

Yeah man, X Rebirth is THIS week. Looking forward to it big time.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 10, 2013, 16:43 jacobvandy

You don't HAVE to blow up a car to kill the person(s) inside... It's just a lot easier to lay into the bigger target for a while, than try to get a headshot. I love using the remote explosive charges to get rid of pursuing cops, so much easier than shitty analog-stick drive-by shooting. Big reason why I'm waiting for the PC version before I bother with Online.  

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
15. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 9, 2013, 17:56 jacobvandy

MonkeySpank wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 17:29:
$137k a day is no small change, even for Blizzard.

Uh, yeah, it is. Even if you assume that maintenance figure hasn't changed with about 1/3 reduction in subs since then (it definitely has, with all the server mergers and other downscaling), they still make $15 x 7,600,000 / 30 = $3.8 million PER DAY of every month. You can assume significantly less money per sub based on special deals or what their specific definition of "subscriber" is, say $10/mo, and it's still $2.53 million a day...

PropheT wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 17:50:
Wow doesn't have a cash shop. I think they might sell boosters in China or Korea or something like that, but the NA servers don't have anything like that.

Lolwut? Of course they do, it's called Battle.net. They sell pets, mounts, cosmetics, account services, etc. I will give you that you can't really call them micro-transactions, though, because most of that shit runs between $10-25 per item. Ridonkulous.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2013, 18:01.

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
4. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 9, 2013, 12:30 jacobvandy

They wouldn't simply drop the subscriptions in going F2P... Nobody does, not even the ones on the brink of shutting down. What you do is make up a list of new or existing features to offer exclusively to those who continue to pay, while also allowing anyone and everyone else to come in a play for free with the option of upgrading to a subscription. All the while, you inundate everyone with microtransactions that maybe 10-15% of the players bite on.

The only reason they wouldn't go F2P is because of the stigma that comes along with that -- mainly that F2P games are relatively crappy and/or they have something so wrong with them that they couldn't get enough people to pay for it anymore and thus had to start giving it away for free. Well, and I guess some people are just terribly addicted and only pay for it because they have to, when a slightly watered-down free version would suit them just as well. So Actiblizz doesn't think that the advantages (tons of new players, hooking new subs, and selling more microtrans.) necessarily outweigh the negatives yet. It will almost certainly happen one day.

News Comments > AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances
10. Re: AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances Nov 8, 2013, 13:45 jacobvandy

If the fan speed is contributing to the performance variances, then ambient room temperature is affecting it as well. They're obviously targeting a maximum thermal threshold of 95 degrees C or whatever it is, meaning that the GPU is going to be throttled when it begins to exceed that level. If the room is colder, or hotter, the GPU is going to be throttled at different levels, if at all. Similarly, the fan speed being even slightly too low or too high is going to affect the core temperature significantly.

This only reinforces the fact that AMD is having some pretty severe thermal issues with their latest products. If you have to dial back the performance of your graphics card to prevent it from melting itself into a giant hunk of abstract paperweight, it might be time to go back to the drawing board... Who knows what kind of performance they could be offering if they actually gave a crap about efficiency? The least they could do is come up with an integrated liquid cooling solution or something, because adding an extra $50-75 on top of the price in exchange for better temps and apparently better performance would surely be worth it? But I guess they're leaving that up to the third-party guys.

2301 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo