Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2357 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
5. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 17, 2013, 12:50 jacobvandy

At least they realized that Dead Island needed a reboot. Mulligan!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
52. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 17, 2013, 02:04 jacobvandy

Apparently they sold 20,000 copies of DayZ in the first hour it was available. Hopefully that instant $850k-$1 million (depending on exactly how many people had gone for the $95 Supporter Edition on the BI website, which was utterly crushed by the demand this afternoon) gives development the shot in the arm it needs.  

8. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:27 jacobvandy

There was never really a punishment, it just made you look like a bandit instead of a civilian if you "murdered" enough people. But "murders" are only kills against other survivors (as opposed to bandits), and the population was never, ever neatly divided into player-killers and co-operators, so being a bandit for defending yourself against other survivors trying to kill you didn't mean much. And most people seek after the lootable clothing that camouflages you anyway, so even if you were a bandit, nobody could tell if you were wearing a soldier's uniform or ghillie suit that overrides the default skin.  

4. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:42 jacobvandy

Sadly, an all-caps message like that at the top of the store page is pretty much a requirement now, what with all the morons ignorant of what Early Access means or even that the game they just bought is a part of the program at all.

I was surprised by the price, based on previous statements made about following the Minecraft model and what the price of the finished product would be. Unlike a lot of other games, there are legitimate reasons to ask WTF is up with that here. Ultimately comes down to that they're charging it just because they can, most likely.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 02:04 jacobvandy

I just looked again and now Dragon Age is there... So I'm thoroughly confused, lol.  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 00:23 jacobvandy

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

Now that I'm looking at it, I don't see Dragon Age on there anywhere? Wasteland 2 is #3 and it goes on down the rest as shown in the post except with CS:GO at the end. Weird.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 21:30 jacobvandy

Domgrief wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 21:02:
If backers got steam keys to play the beta, maybe Valve's report shows all key registrations/activations, and not just transactions through the Steam storefront.

Though if that was true, there'd be a spike every time a steam-key-in-a-box AAA title (activision, zenimax, etc.) was released to brick-and-mortar stores.

Nope... How many times must it be explained that these Top 10 lists are based on weekly revenue flowing through Steam? They saw no revenue from keys handed out to people that pledged to a Kickstarter or paid directly via PayPal and saw fulfillment from Humble Bundle. These are all purchases made this week, on Steam.

Don't ask how or why that works, developers getting Steam keys in bulk for their game they sold elsewhere. I don't know. Maybe it's negotiated as a couple extra points for Valve on their Steam contract, or maybe it's included as a service for everyone who publishes there. Either way, it doesn't mesh with the tracking of total revenue, i.e. what people paid at check-out (such as $59.99 for Wasteland 2 early access).

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:48.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 19:14 jacobvandy

I'll be surprised if Wasteland 2 is more than $29.99 at launch. $39.99 will probably be the digital deluxe with the soundtrack and other extras.  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 14:36 jacobvandy

Yeah, it's just a different strategy. One that is basically forced upon them by the decision to incentivize higher tiers of KS pledges with alpha and/or beta access.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
43. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 15, 2013, 00:35 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 00:09:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 21:29:
Bitcoins are not infinite, the most that will ever exist is 21 million.

They can be infinitely fractured... it's already happened with the high 1 bitcoin price, at this point most transactions are 0.01 or 0.001

A fair point, but that's where the transaction fee comes in. You're not going to see the decimal point move much farther than that because the minimum fee to ensure your transaction actually goes through is 0.0001 BTC. Obviously it won't make sense to pay that when trying to send 0.000000001.

(Normally the transaction fee is optional, to speed up the confirmations and ensure it "goes through." Many different factors can affect whether or not the network might reject a transaction, including the age of the coin your sliver came from, how small the sliver actually is, whether it's lots of different little slivers put together, etc. I don't know exactly how it works, but there is a lot of debate right now as to whether 0.0001 is a suitable fee for an increasingly large number of transactions or not.)

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
21. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 14, 2013, 23:09 jacobvandy

Also, That 70s Show was awesome even if you weren't born in that decade... 20 years old is not too young to have been around the appropriate age group when it was popular. Maybe you wouldn't have caught it as brand new episodes every week like I did, but it had pretty strong syndication too. And now Netflix is a great replacement for hundreds of DVD box-sets like that.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
33. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 14, 2013, 21:29 jacobvandy

Bitcoins are not infinite, the most that will ever exist is 21 million.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 14, 2013, 18:58 jacobvandy

Such an angry old man... Sorry your kid did such a bad job parenting their kid(s), apparently introducing them to video games with Killzone and Assassin's Creed. Anybody so young to be ignorant of Star Wars is definitely too young to play that stuff. Or they are old enough, and just lived under a rock (with internet access?) this whole time. I'm not sure which is the worse form of cultural retardation.  

News Comments > 7 Days to Die Early Access
5. Re: 7 Days to Die Early Access Dec 14, 2013, 11:26 jacobvandy

WyldKat wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 01:39:
It boggles my mind that they went with a "realistic" style for characters, zombies, vehicles, etc but opted for block voxels over smooth voxels... dafuq?!?

It was a budget constraint at first, I'm sure, as it's simply easier to do cubes. But they did hit their final stretch goal on Kickstarter for $500k, which includes smoothing the terrain. But like the $400k and $450k goals (NPCs, voice actors, character customization), that stuff is being saved for post-release updates rather than delaying the game.

As for the price, this is yet another example of a Kickstarted game showing up on early access where the alpha version costs more than the final game will in the spirit of fairness. You'll get it for $15 or less at launch...

It's still very early, but this game is already leaps and bounds above many others that get thrown up there on Steam EA, including that other more realistic Minecraft clone, Starforge. I picked that up last summer and it was utterly unplayable, and from what I've heard it still hasn't gotten much better. 7 Days to Die is at least functioning as a sandbox survival game and is receiving rapid content and polish updates.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2013, 22:41 jacobvandy

Yes, and that might apply if people were charging a subscription or pay-per-view fee for viewing those video game clips specifically. But they're not... watching the video is free. They're making money from advertisers piggy-backing on the exposure, which is arguably an entirely different situation. As already mentioned, it's the same thing as gaming news websites posting videos or screenshots (allowed under Fair Use) and then making money from selling advertisements based on the traffic driven to such content.

If you want to classify clips and streaming to NOT be Fair Use (I can certainly see how the latter shouldn't be, if you're broadcasting an entire playthrough of a single-player campaign or whatever), then do so. But until that slippery slope is stepped onto, or some other law is made or clarified, there's not really a legal reason to get pissy over "monetized" streams versus "non-monetized" ones. 95% of the internet is monetized in some way. Picking and choosing that you want a piece of this pie or that pie once they've gotten big enough to look good to you is bullshit.

Besides which, it makes no difference whether or not the random gamer guy is getting a share. If YouTube is making money from Skyrim videos, Bethesda should be mad about it, right? Regardless of whether it's one third party or multiple third parties getting together and doing it.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access Dec 13, 2013, 22:05 jacobvandy

You don't have to be playing the beta to provide feedback. Pledging the minimum on any game Kickstarter gets you access to their forums where they discuss ideas and put up polls, etc. Buying in late on Steam does the same, they just don't have the different tiers on there.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2013, 16:45 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 15:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 13:38:
The content owners got their money when the person recording/streaming BOUGHT THEIR GAME. (Or they got [much] more than the equivalent value in marketing if they gave a big name a free copy.) If somebody can get people to watch them play games and endure advertisements while they do it, good for them. This is corporate record label-type bullshit, wanting to get paid for doing nothing. Run your own channel or livestream and be entertaining enough to garner viewers if you want some of that advertising money. Because it is the opinion/personality aspect of it that makes it popular, not just showing video of the game.

Yes, but you don't own the game. It's their property. And if you're making money off it then you need their permission. Period. It's the law. It's cut and dry.

Lol, no it is not that cut and dry. Twitch wouldn't exist if streaming video games and selling ads over it was an illegal act. Money is not magically being created from showing video footage of a game; there is an aspect of the person presenting it in a way that is appealing to viewers, often due to his knowledge of or skill in the game. Then the platform he's using makes use of that traffic to sell advertisements, and to encourage such activity they share the profits with the person creating the content. It's an entirely new paradigm of entertainment media, and if you insist there are already laws on the books to govern it, I demand you show them to me. And that's assuming video game publishers even care to have it governed... The majority of them do not, in fact Microsoft and Sony have seen fit to build functionality into their new consoles that directly support this endeavor across all games to stream via Twitch or upload video clips to social media sites (including YouTube where profit can be made much easier than on Twitch).

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2013, 16:50.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2013, 13:38 jacobvandy

The content owners got their money when the person recording/streaming BOUGHT THEIR GAME. (Or they got [much] more than the equivalent value in marketing if they gave a big name a free copy.) If somebody can get people to watch them play games and endure advertisements while they do it, good for them. This is corporate record label-type bullshit, wanting to get paid for doing nothing. Run your own channel or livestream and be entertaining enough to garner viewers if you want some of that advertising money. Because it is the opinion/personality aspect of it that makes it popular, not just showing video of the game.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
6. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 00:21 jacobvandy

The $55 digital tier was the lowest amount for beta access in the Kickstarter. Ergo, the $15 base price + $40 beta add-on if you're getting in late. And they're going to do the same thing that Uber did with Planetary Annihilation when that was released on Early Access -- the price will be high to match what the early adopters paid, and Steam plebes everywhere will bitch about it. It's fair to the real fans, and quite effective in weeding out the idiots who really aren't fit for beta testing.  

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
34. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 14:20 jacobvandy

Yeah, I played it when it was 500 days. Felt like Majora's Mask, except you couldn't go back...  

2357 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo