Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
2. Re: StarCraft II Patched Jul 30, 2013, 00:18 jacobvandy

Doesn't mean jack if you can't use those added zoom levels WHILE ACTUALLY PLAYING.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 01:05 jacobvandy

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the new Shadowrun: why the hell can't I right-click on anything!? Mac was the lead platform, I guess.

And yeah, Citadels is Stronghold 3's under-developed, fetus-like twin, chopped off and discarded as nothing more but a tumor.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
27. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 18:27 jacobvandy

I generally don't care too much about the personality of game developers -- if the game is good, I play it and enjoy it -- but this idiot is a prime example of what's wrong with the information age. Internet celebrities make me sick, just considering they somehow managed to accumulate fame and wealth far beyond what they truly deserve. It doesn't matter if FEZ was the greatest game ever made, if that greasy-haired punk showed up to pitch it somewhere and ran his mouth like that to anybody in person, he'd be out on his ass and living in a refrigerator box. That people still act this way in a GLOBAL public forum, so unabashed despite an absence of anonymity, shows that we are well and truly fucked as a society.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2013, 13:44 jacobvandy

Yup, just like that one journalist who "crashed his luxury car into a tree and exploded Michael Bay-style" a few weeks back. Riiiiight...  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 03:51 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:10:
kunic wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 22:54:
nin wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 22:34:
Report: OS overhead takes up 3.5GB of PS4ís 8GB of RAM.
I'm guessing at least a chunk of that is the video recording for sharing, a feature I doubt I'll use much...

I think you'd be surprised. You never know when a really cool or funny moment will crop up that you'd be able to then capture and upload for everyone to see.

I think that would involve me actually being decent at said game, as opposed to (my normal play skill of) shooting all around the enemy before finally snagging an accidental nut shot...

Don't have to be good at a game to catch unique or interesting stuff. Weird bugs or behavior are way more compelling than just playing a game decently.

News Comments > Shadows of the Eternals Kickstarter Returns
7. Re: Shadows of the Eternals Kickstarter Returns Jul 25, 2013, 17:43 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 16:35:
While I won't touch anything with Dyack involved, I hope this succeeds as an example that you can successfully do single player games on KS. Just so tired of all of the MP only KSs.

Que? I've backed over a dozen KS games that are most certainly not MP only. That includes several of the big, multi-million-dollar ones. Torment, Eternity, and I believe Wasteland 2, are all single-player only, in fact.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details
10. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details Jul 25, 2013, 14:45 jacobvandy

MrRadicalEd wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 14:08:
woah woah woah...

so I can change loadouts on my phone..... while I'm dead.... but.. I can just do it in game... while I'm dead? mmmm I don't think I'm within the intended market audience for this one.

If I'm reading it correctly, you can change your loadout on your phone even while you're alive. It won't change until you respawn probably, but still. And hopefully you can change servers on your phone while you're still in another one, which would be a much better feature.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Saints Row IV
26. Re: Gone Gold - Saints Row IV Jul 25, 2013, 00:22 jacobvandy

No need to project your homoerotic fantasies on me, pal, I was just relaying the information they've shared about the game and its development. Information that it seemed you were lacking, based on your stated viewpoint on the matter. I can lead a jackass to water, but I can't help it if he uses it as a toilet rather than a drinking fountain...

The only fact you have is that they're still going to use the name "Enter the Dominatrix" for a DLC. Everything else is wild speculation on your part. Paranoid delusion, even. I don't see any need to get all upset over what a game's content does or does not consist of before it's even released. If you're so worried about it being a worthless "reskin," as if all they've done is updated player rosters and some environment textures, then don't buy it sight-unseen. Or does common sense not compute, either?

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2013, 00:30.

15. Re: Gone Gold - Saints Row IV Jul 24, 2013, 19:41 jacobvandy

They also still have to get the thumbs-up from Microsoft/Sony QA, don't they? Which is a whole boondoggle in and of itself. Unless they do that before it's "gold," I'm not sure.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 17:44 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:57:
Also, so refreshing that 90% of the game videos show the DLC as being in the main game......in fact, lots of the videos don't even show ANYTHING outside of the Matrix stuff....

That's because it's not DLC, most of the main game IS the "Matrix stuff"... From the Wiki:

Five years after the events of the "Save Shaundi" ending in Saints Row: The Third, the leader of the Third Street Saints is elected President of the United States. It's not long before an alien invasion occurs and the Protagonist and the Saints are kidnapped by aliens known as the Zin and their leader Zinyak, The Player is transported to a virtual version of Steelport where The Player can use super powers to fight against the Zin empire.

The core idea of Enter the Dominatrix became the basis of SR4, but combined with everything else they wanted to put into the sequel, there wasn't enough room (or time, I guess) to include everything they were going to do with that standalone expansion to SR3. So, that leftover stuff will be released as DLC for the new game. A little confusing, perhaps, but hopefully clears up your major misconception.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
11. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 02:23 jacobvandy

Dev wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 01:02:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 23:04:
The point of Greenlight was to offer some measure of exposure to Steam's userbase for anyone that tossed their hat in the ring.
Let's be clear here. As much as I like greenlight that was only a side benefit.
The purpose of it was to offload some of the not fun workload from valve employees.
Valve as much says so in their press release for greenlight.

ďMaking the call to publish or not publish a title isnít fun
[...]
we realized an opportunity to enlist the community's help as we review certain titles

Same thing that they did with portal 2. Ever notice those trailers for the editor that "jokingly" talked about making customers do all the work? Well it was jokingly said, but valve was serious about it.

I don't object to the end result though, more quality community work and participation.

That may have been the reason/motivation for Valve to put it together, but that doesn't change the actual primary function of the system. Why do indies want to be released on Steam? Exposure, so they can become rich and famous... Greenlight is a way to do that without having to vet them and actually publish them. Get enough positive exposure and Valve will see the opportunity for a business relationship. People use their Greenlight page as an advertisement to drive sales through their website or other stores like Desura long before they actually get released on Steam, if they ever do.

7. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 23, 2013, 23:04 jacobvandy

ViRGE wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 22:33:
I won't rehash the RPS comments verbatim, but I'd encourage you to go read them. Among other things only a small number of games have made it through Greenlight (66 in the last year, which is nothing for the number of games in the system), and there's the problem that Greenlight doesn't sufficiently differentiate between completed (and near-complete) games, and games that are still in the concept stage. Games are being greenlit on concept alone, instead of focusing on the quality of what's actually finished.

Good games that were previously getting published are now languishing, buried under the piles of crap that sit in Greenlight and coupled with Valve's much slower approval process for Greenlight. With the exception of a handful of games that Valve initially passed on pre-Greenlight that have now made it through, Greenlight has made things worse for indies.

Well, we know that there have been at least 10x that many indie games released on Steam in the past year, so obviously a lot are still getting through without it. UnEpic, Rogue Legacy, Gunpoint, Kerbal, and those are just some I'm remembering from the past couple months. Edit: yeah, what Reagle said, in his own way, lol.

The cold, harsh reality is, there's enough indie crap on the store already that was considered "good," or at least good enough to be released, but it's not the only factor. There's the issue of devaluing presence on the Steam store, because of sheer volume of releases and not being able to promote them all. Don't you think indie devs would be bitching about that, too, if Steam released too many games and they ended up flopping because they were lost in the shuffle?

The point of Greenlight was to offer some measure of exposure to Steam's userbase for anyone that tossed their hat in the ring. They tried to put at least some semblance of qualification in place with the monetary fee, but everyone insisted that was unfair, so a lot of the "languishing under piles of crap" is THEIR OWN FAULT. I'd even go so far as to say a majority of the stuff on there right now would not have been submitted if it weren't free. God forbid a serious aspiring game developer scrounge up $100 (that went straight to charity) in exchange for having as many projects as he wants be considered for release on the biggest PC game platform in the world...

4. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 23, 2013, 22:23 jacobvandy

Mightn't that indicates waving them through to the store so easily before was a mistake? If Greenlight had existed back then, they probably would have had to go through it, instead. "Published" or "unpublished," the good games always get noticed and float to the top of the heap anyway, so I don't see the problem. Only hurt egos...  

News Comments > StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter
10. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 17:28 jacobvandy

Draugr wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 17:18:
MindStalker3 wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 15:31:
Narf2029 wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:54:
I couldn't bring myself to put $3 down for it. I don't need photorealistic graphics but I am so over the "retro" style, the blocky style, and whatever else. Indie is not an excuse to make things that look like shit.

Honestly, when your talking about a fully destructible/buildable world, blocky is about the only way to go. I couldn't imagine the system requirements if the graphics were high end.

Starforge doesn't look too bad.

Yeah, but can you do anything to the terrain? Doesn't look like it. All I saw deformed in their main trailer thing were trees and blocks that they put in place themselves.

Well, I read the FAQ and they talk about "digging endless tunnels," but it'd probably be useful to show that stuff up front...

News Comments > StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter
6. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 15:41 jacobvandy

I'll pick this one up when it's on Steam.  

News Comments > Capcom Announcing 13 New Games Next Week
6. Re: Capcom Announcing 13 New Games Next Week Jul 23, 2013, 15:38 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 11:44:
"...brand new online, smartphone, and social game titles"

Wow. They really know what their customers want. NOT.

Don't kid yourself... The majority of their [potential] customers DO want this stuff. Of course we'd rather see AAA PC games from them, but for a fraction of the cost they can make as much or more money from a casual and/or mobile dealie.

News Comments > Enter the Dominatrix Now SR4 DLC Due in October
3. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Now SR4 DLC Due in October Jul 22, 2013, 20:26 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 20:05:
hopefully will be nothing like that horrible Enter the Matrix game from way back.

Enter the Matrix was definitely suffered from being rushed to release, but it was still extremely cool for trying some new things with melee combat and being the first and only true movie tie-in game ever. The movie studio produced all the cutscenes and you watched them in near DVD quality, so it was basically an hour's worth of scenes that would have otherwise gone into an extended cut of Reloaded. Which would be why it came on like 8 CDs or so, lol.

News Comments > Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited
22. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 20:09 jacobvandy

I saw some additional information from the auction on PCG, saying Uber Ent. is the back-up bidder on TA. I bet they would love to change up Planetary Annihilation a bit and just call it a straight sequel.

Also, Stardock did bid on Master of Orion, just not as much as Wargaming.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 15:45 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 15:28:
So for anyone who bought the Sega Genesis Mega Pack like I did earlier this month for 4.99, the 5th pack in Steam is on sale for 3.75, so you can now link all the games into Steam (it is just en emulator).

cheers!

Yeah I noticed that when I got the pack from Amazon and it all installed in the same folder, showing up in the parent program... Pretty sweet setup.

News Comments > Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year?
9. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 13:41 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:25:
Instead of selling 500,000 copies, a developer sells 50,000 that just get recycled over and over again for eternity. You don't see this with console games because there's an inconvenience factor and the most convenient way has an annoying middle man that takes most the money. (Gamestop, most commonly)

But unlike used game sales at GameStop, every transaction on the Steam Community Marketplace gives 10% to the developer of the game involved. So even if only 10% of potential sales actually happened in the store (I doubt that), each one being passed around a few dozen times over the life of the game, could result in the same or greater amount of revenue. I'd be interested to see results from a test run or two of that kind of tradeability, though it would probably have to be Valve themselves allowing a mid-range release like Ricochet 2 or something to be resold amongst users first.

I don't think you can make assumptions like "cheap from players or expensive from publisher," though. Unlike the existing virtual doo-dads that have no value except what the market will bear, a copy of a digital game that just released for $50 is almost guaranteed to be resold for pretty darn close to that. You'll still have people undercutting each other to get a faster sale, but only a [charitable] moron would put a brand new game up there for $20. It's like buying physical copies of brand new games on eBay; people get them however they get them, and sell them just under retail because it sells fast and the buyer gets a better deal.

Besides which, reselling is only for the average so-so, run-through-once-and-done type of game. You're not going to have people buying and then turning around and selling the next Elder Scrolls or GTA or etc. in the first week, unless it turns out they tried it and genuinely didn't like it. Publishers will still spend millions encouraging pre-orders, and they'll still get their first-day or -week sales spikes. Some people might buy the new COD or Battlefield for the single-player campaign, play through in a day or two, and then sell it, but the majority will be holding on to their copies for multiplayer.

And you can't ignore the fact that the ability to resell will make people a LOT more willing to buy and try games they otherwise wouldn't. Which brings me back to the original point, that giving it a life of "used" game sales on the community marketplace very well could generate more money for the developer/publisher based on the royalties from swapping owners over and over again, than the smaller base of full-price purchasers at first and then the larger base of $5 or under people later on.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2013, 14:07.

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo