Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2266 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 18:48 jacobvandy

Yeah man, X Rebirth is THIS week. Looking forward to it big time.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 10, 2013, 16:43 jacobvandy

You don't HAVE to blow up a car to kill the person(s) inside... It's just a lot easier to lay into the bigger target for a while, than try to get a headshot. I love using the remote explosive charges to get rid of pursuing cops, so much easier than shitty analog-stick drive-by shooting. Big reason why I'm waiting for the PC version before I bother with Online.  

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
15. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 9, 2013, 17:56 jacobvandy

MonkeySpank wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 17:29:
$137k a day is no small change, even for Blizzard.

Uh, yeah, it is. Even if you assume that maintenance figure hasn't changed with about 1/3 reduction in subs since then (it definitely has, with all the server mergers and other downscaling), they still make $15 x 7,600,000 / 30 = $3.8 million PER DAY of every month. You can assume significantly less money per sub based on special deals or what their specific definition of "subscriber" is, say $10/mo, and it's still $2.53 million a day...

PropheT wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 17:50:
Wow doesn't have a cash shop. I think they might sell boosters in China or Korea or something like that, but the NA servers don't have anything like that.

Lolwut? Of course they do, it's called Battle.net. They sell pets, mounts, cosmetics, account services, etc. I will give you that you can't really call them micro-transactions, though, because most of that shit runs between $10-25 per item. Ridonkulous.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2013, 18:01.

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
4. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 9, 2013, 12:30 jacobvandy

They wouldn't simply drop the subscriptions in going F2P... Nobody does, not even the ones on the brink of shutting down. What you do is make up a list of new or existing features to offer exclusively to those who continue to pay, while also allowing anyone and everyone else to come in a play for free with the option of upgrading to a subscription. All the while, you inundate everyone with microtransactions that maybe 10-15% of the players bite on.

The only reason they wouldn't go F2P is because of the stigma that comes along with that -- mainly that F2P games are relatively crappy and/or they have something so wrong with them that they couldn't get enough people to pay for it anymore and thus had to start giving it away for free. Well, and I guess some people are just terribly addicted and only pay for it because they have to, when a slightly watered-down free version would suit them just as well. So Actiblizz doesn't think that the advantages (tons of new players, hooking new subs, and selling more microtrans.) necessarily outweigh the negatives yet. It will almost certainly happen one day.

News Comments > AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances
10. Re: AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances Nov 8, 2013, 13:45 jacobvandy

If the fan speed is contributing to the performance variances, then ambient room temperature is affecting it as well. They're obviously targeting a maximum thermal threshold of 95 degrees C or whatever it is, meaning that the GPU is going to be throttled when it begins to exceed that level. If the room is colder, or hotter, the GPU is going to be throttled at different levels, if at all. Similarly, the fan speed being even slightly too low or too high is going to affect the core temperature significantly.

This only reinforces the fact that AMD is having some pretty severe thermal issues with their latest products. If you have to dial back the performance of your graphics card to prevent it from melting itself into a giant hunk of abstract paperweight, it might be time to go back to the drawing board... Who knows what kind of performance they could be offering if they actually gave a crap about efficiency? The least they could do is come up with an integrated liquid cooling solution or something, because adding an extra $50-75 on top of the price in exchange for better temps and apparently better performance would surely be worth it? But I guess they're leaving that up to the third-party guys.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 7, 2013, 13:47 jacobvandy

That's fine, you don't have to buy it. I won't, either. But I still think it's unreasonable to ask them to lower the price for no reason. It beats the R9 290X, and even the Titan (at least for gaming), so I'd say people who want the best of the best should be pretty happy they priced it $300 less than their previous flagship. They may not even have bothered releasing this model if it weren't for AMD pulling off what they just did. The 800 series is going to show up next quarter-ish regardless, so price adjustments will happen then.

Buying the highest of high end never has and never will be the most value-conscious thing to do. The 770 or the regular 780 are still your better options for that at this point, depending on your budget.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 7, 2013, 12:19 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 11:05:
IE also takes up multiple instances in your task manager, with no real way of knowing what any are. Chrome and FF only start one

No that's Chrome; I have like a dozen instances right now just looking at one tab. I launched IE for a minute and it had two.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
5. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 21:07 jacobvandy

It was in open, crowd-funded development for a while even before they went on Kickstarter and got a boost that way, but yeah the alpha has been out for a few months now. I'm fine with my base-level pledge getting me slightly early access to the final version after waiting a little longer, though. Path of Exile is keeping me plenty busy in the meantime.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
16. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 12:32 jacobvandy

So not only is that $1 billion in "sales" how many they've sent to retailers in time for release, it's also including next-gen versions for PS4 and Xbone... I.e. games you can't even buy yet. Pathetic.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Nov 6, 2013, 01:33 jacobvandy

It's not supposed to show up in his Humble account, it should be on his Steam account. They're acting as a proxy to activate the serial key directly with Steam on his behalf, as stated by their site's request for permissions on your account (a la Facebook) after you've signed in through them.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free DLC
7. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 5, 2013, 23:40 jacobvandy

Deep Silver consciously made the decision NOT to purchase the rights to Red Faction. Nordic Games picked it up, instead. But since they don't have any in-house developers, it's possible they could contract out the work to Volition, provided Deep Silver allows it.  

News Comments > Rambo: The Video Game Trailer
4. Re: Rambo: The Video Game Trailer Nov 5, 2013, 21:44 jacobvandy

Lol, not even. This is apparently an arcade guided-tour shooting range game.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 5, 2013, 21:27 jacobvandy

A lot of rosy language from Humble Bundle, painting this new gifting system as a service they're providing out of the kindness of their hearts... This is just part of their new system that redeems the keys directly to your Steam account, rather than handing the actual 15-digit key to you. You never see the key, you have to sign in to your Steam account on their site and it attaches it to your account automatically. The only difference with the gifting option is that your key is given a randomized alias so that you can give someone else a link, which they then have to use to sign in to their Humble account and Steam account to redeem it.

This is just a bunch of pointless hoops for the average supporter to jump through (including separate email validation of your Steam account if you don't usually sign in to it from a browser) so they can crack down further on those abusing the system, reselling the Steam keys and etc. I'm really torn on it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 5, 2013, 15:33 jacobvandy

Kosumo wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:53:
Why should SpectralMeat be able to get his money back? He brought it the day it was released, He's gotta learn to wait or else this will just happen again and again.

Re: The Dog

I've heard it dies on the mission "Shit hits the Fan" when the hovercraft stops so he can have a shit only to do so on a land mine and be blown up (along with his shit, which then hits the fan) Mad

That sounds preposterous on so many levels. The least of which being that a dog turd weighs far too little to set off a land mine...

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
25. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:46 jacobvandy

If you don't want Steam "bloat," switch to the already existing Small Mode. It becomes simply a list of your games with the options up top and uses 20-25MB of RAM. Compared to like Chrome, which has about 8 instances open for me and 30-80MB being used by each with only one damned tab open...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2013, 18:21 jacobvandy

Typical Hollywood nonsense in that Slow Mo Guys video. Prop grenades with small explosions set off remotely, and gasoline-fueled fireballs on the side of a concrete structure... But then, I wouldn't expect any less from an EA-sponsored production. There's no way corporate marketing and liability agents would let real explosives anywhere near those guys.  

News Comments > Next Car Game Kickstarter
11. Re: Next Car Game Kickstarter Nov 3, 2013, 09:11 jacobvandy

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 01:47:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 19:15:
Blur is the last original, AAA racing game I can think of and it sold poorly.

The reason Blur sold poorly was because it was rehash of mario kart with realistic cars. There was nothing really new or different to make it stand out.

It really deserved to fail because it brought nothing new. Most games rarely live up to their potential. I can see why this game has trouble getting a publisher, the old school derby car/beat-em up makes the game look ugly. I don't really dig old cars and this game is all about old cars.

There was plenty of space for a Mario Kart-esque title on PC, but it failed because they didn't put any effort into porting or supporting it. They wasted too much time and money on advertising to attack Nintendo.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 2, 2013, 17:21 jacobvandy

There are at least as many Minecraft fans as there are Blizzard fans, so...  

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
16. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 16:11 jacobvandy

It would take some getting used to, but being able to look around independently from aiming is the truest way to play an FPS. No more pressing a button to aim down the sights or through the scope, just tilt your head a bit to line up with it. No more pressing a button to awkwardly pop your whole body out around a corner, just move your head to peek to the side, above, or below objects...

Although for the best effect, you'd need a 6DOF motion control system to be able to move the gun freely enough so that you can shoot around corners or from behind cover, etc. That's something that needs to be integrated right alongside this for any game that is serious about going the VR route. We already have a couple of those on PC that didn't take off because they just don't mesh well with fixed-view games. No point in turning your gun sideways relative to your body when you're eyes are stuck looking straight ahead.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer
7. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer Nov 1, 2013, 02:37 jacobvandy

Pfft, why should I even click 'play' with a thumbnail like that?  

2266 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo