Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2054 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Police Quest-Inspired Kickstarter Cancelled
3. Re: Police Quest-Inspired Kickstarter Cancelled Aug 6, 2013, 17:27 jacobvandy

People simply don't know or don't care about Police Quest anymore... Definitely not $500,000 sight-unseen's worth.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2013, 17:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 Clues?
26. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 14:26 jacobvandy

MindStalker3 wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:03:
Numinar wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:20:
Stiff competition that you would need a mighty nice design doc/bucket load of technical goodies (Fully destructible everything and next-gen dynamic AI!) to want to take them on with.

Why would you really WANT fully destructible everything in a story based single player? It really ruins the ability to tell a story if you can go everywhere and do anything. GTA quasi pulls it off, but its a different beast entirely. Yes, multiple paths, but fully destructible means open world

That's not true at all. You could easily have enough destructibility, to the point where it merits the description "fully-destructible," without it being open world. You would have to use some unbreakable rock or whatever enveloping the borders of a linear-ish level, but it's doable. Red Faction: Armageddon did it, though only to about 20% of the potential (badly needed terrain deformation).

News Comments > Command & Conquer Trailer
11. Re: Command & Conquer Trailer Aug 6, 2013, 09:23 jacobvandy

As long as there is a decent variety of [large] maps, along with no bullshit restrictions to unit availability or etc., and I can play with 5+ AI in skirmish mode, I'll be happy. The way I see it, is it's easy to avoid the "pay-to-win" stuff, if I'm not trying to win over other players! But if AI get such advantages...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 5, 2013, 13:48 jacobvandy

Orogogus wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 12:56:
Well, yes and no. Steam sales themselves only account for a few weeks, but people here often buy from GMG, GG, etc. It looks like it's been possible to get Steam-unlockable copies for less than list price about 60-70% of those 90 weeks all told

Even if we knew that key redemption from external sources were included in the Top 10 list by REVENUE for Valve/Steam (I've always assumed they aren't, because I don't think they see significant royalties from stuff like that, and even if they did it would be complicated to calculate and include with the rest), that doesn't change the fact that the game has stayed in those top spots. Whether you have a lower unit count with higher price or higher unit count with lower price, the level of REVENUE remains the same: redonkulous.

Beamer wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 13:07:
A couple more zeroes? So you think that the #10 game sold 10,000 copies last week? It doesn't even come out for 4 weeks... If XCOM The Bureau sold 10,000 preorders last week then it's guaranteed to be one of Steam's biggest games for the year. 10,000 @ $50 is 500,000. A sequel would be guaranteed if week 1 preorder sales on 1 platform were $500,000.

Lol, dream on. I'm sure they spent more than half a million merely promoting the fact that pre-orders are available now. 10,000 copies is not a lot for a AAA title pre-sale launch; the numbers for the remaining weeks will dwindle greatly, so it's doubtful it'll make the Top 10 again until it's actually released and they see another spike, if even then. And anyway, the publisher only sees what, 50-60% of that? 2K is looking for millions sold, not tens of thousands... Unless you're prescribing to an aforementioned paradigm that PC represents as little as 5% of their business, and are extrapolating that the game will be a huge success if it's selling only that amount on Steam.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 4, 2013, 23:13 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 20:52:
We have no clue what any of this means. That XCOM is #10. Did it sell 10 copies? 100?

The new X-COM is #10? Craziness.

Add a couple more zeroes to that and I'd say you're in the ballpark. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume hundreds of thousands of people spend millions of dollars per week on Steam ($10 average for a small fraction of the userbase buying on a regular basis might even be a bit low), so this Top 10 is no joke. Even last on the list, I reckon that'd be upwards of half a million in revenue (so almost 10k copies for a full-priced pre-order, 10x that for a cheap indie or slashed price around $5). Depending on the week, of course, taking into account seasonal fluctuations and any active promotions. The top few slots have got to be up into the seven-figures range, especially if it's a new, big release like a Civ V expansion (or Skyrim two years later, lawl).

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2013, 23:18.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 4, 2013, 07:18 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:37:
I once had something stolen from my apartment. It was something saleable, so I immediately started watching Craigslist. Sure enough a couple days later, it showed up on CL. So I contacted the guy posing as a buyer, met him, and confirmed the serial number. I told the guy I had to go withdraw the cash to buy it. Then I called the cops, met the guy, and when he brought it out, they jumped out of the bushes and nabbed him.

+1 internets for you, sir.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 4, 2013, 07:14 jacobvandy

Gas Bandit wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 13:48:
"How Scary Can An Old-School Programmer Could Be?"

About as scary as that grammar, I guess.

That's on Blue, not the article. They do use both variants throughout, though (can & could), so I can sort of understand the mix-up.

News Comments > DayZ Public Alpha Status Report
7. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 4, 2013, 00:26 jacobvandy

I'll admit I'm just as disillusioned with the wait as many others, but calling into question that it "deserves" standalone status is pretty silly. The mere fact that they ripped out the entire network infrastructure that was so incompatible with this style of game and built it up again from scratch is more than enough reason for that.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 1, 2013, 13:59 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 10:22:
Ok.... let me bring in Matlock logic.

1. So you say the AI is based off gathering data from other drivers on the net.
2. What if those drivers are worse than the AI you could program or under your standards? Could it be possible then that the AI is 600% more stupid?
3. Can you not just take drivers from your office and have them race and capture their capabilities and put them into Forza as your AI, that way you won't have to program the complex routines to capturing others on the net and bringing them into game? And random issues with just taking random anonymous net drivers? Doesn't this have the chance of going terribly wrong?
4. Couldn't you hire professional drivers to ensure better AI then random internet drivers on the net or in your office?

I'll just have to see this one to believe it. Like the Milo Mega Scanner... just swipe a paper in front of kinect... the Xbox will bring it in instantly and Milo can read anything from it. Amazing!

I mean if a 360 has the processing power to do that the One has to be able to handle racing AI.

I'm also not convinced that local HW isn't more capable of better AI. It's the humans that need to program that in, which they tell me simply is very difficult to do and I think ROI is the issue not power. So just having more processing power doesn't make programming said AI easier.

"Better AI" doesn't just mean BETTER drivers that are more challenging, it means more realistic drivers that have dynamic strategies and actually make mistakes sometimes, too. So you have a huge pool of crappy players, great players, and many more in between. You need data from all of them to create a more realistic pool of AI drivers for your game in this way. There are difficulty settings, campaign difficulty progression, drivers that always end up last no matter what because their daddy bought them into the league, etc...

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
9. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Jul 31, 2013, 13:47 jacobvandy

w00tie wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 13:27:
Splash Damage eh?
Will this be as forgettable as Brink?

If you're bringing it up, was it really that forgettable?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
23. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 13:45 jacobvandy

It's obviously not a fully-produced promotional piece. More like some random developer put it together in his spare time using a clip of her voice he got off the internet. They thought it was cool/funny enough to just release it (not even sure if they'd necessarily need her permission), but overlooked the fact that gamers are a bunch of knee-jerking toads and would over-analyze the graffix and get their panties in a wad over nothing.  

News Comments > Take-Two Q1 Results
5. Re: Take-Two Q1 Results Jul 31, 2013, 13:38 jacobvandy

I figure it's because the costs of things like GTA V development are piling up right now, in between major releases, and then once it comes out they're rolling in dough again. You see that "impairment" related to a title in development totaling $29.6 million? Yeah...

Fluctuations are normal for them, but they're still on the plus side for the past year. That and the nearly 2/3 of a billion cash they're sitting on, tells me they're alright.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
11. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 02:45 jacobvandy

Yeah, with at least 3 pairs of earplugs in...  

News Comments > Bully Re-TMed
1. Re: Bully Re-TMed Jul 30, 2013, 21:35 jacobvandy

... Or they just don't want anyone else making a game with the same name?  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
19. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 14:37 jacobvandy

As crappy as this DLC might seem, just remember... It's better than multiplayer map packs! (BioShock 2)  

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
4. Re: StarCraft II Patched Jul 30, 2013, 09:22 jacobvandy

Everything they're teasing is a bunch of improvements to the replay mode, and in the video he mentions something like "observers wanted to be able to zoom out to see more of the action." I guess we have to wait and see the patch notes to find out for sure, but it sounds to me like it's just for replay/spectator mode.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
2. Re: StarCraft II Patched Jul 30, 2013, 00:18 jacobvandy

Doesn't mean jack if you can't use those added zoom levels WHILE ACTUALLY PLAYING.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 01:05 jacobvandy

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the new Shadowrun: why the hell can't I right-click on anything!? Mac was the lead platform, I guess.

And yeah, Citadels is Stronghold 3's under-developed, fetus-like twin, chopped off and discarded as nothing more but a tumor.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
27. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 18:27 jacobvandy

I generally don't care too much about the personality of game developers -- if the game is good, I play it and enjoy it -- but this idiot is a prime example of what's wrong with the information age. Internet celebrities make me sick, just considering they somehow managed to accumulate fame and wealth far beyond what they truly deserve. It doesn't matter if FEZ was the greatest game ever made, if that greasy-haired punk showed up to pitch it somewhere and ran his mouth like that to anybody in person, he'd be out on his ass and living in a refrigerator box. That people still act this way in a GLOBAL public forum, so unabashed despite an absence of anonymity, shows that we are well and truly fucked as a society.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2013, 13:44 jacobvandy

Yup, just like that one journalist who "crashed his luxury car into a tree and exploded Michael Bay-style" a few weeks back. Riiiiight...  

2054 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo