Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3139 (Veteran)
User ID 56195
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
12. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 3, 2015, 13:14 jacobvandy
LittleMe wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 12:16:
There's no proof yet these are PC ultra settings.

This. C'mon, people, it's a Steamworks game. Maybe a retail copy did make it into the wild, but it requires authentication and decryption before it works, possibly even the download of additional crucial files that weren't included on disc to prevent this very thing from happening...

If it is actually a PC version, some are saying it could be a review copy, we don't know what they're doing with the release day patch, either. We all know "going gold" doesn't mean shit anymore. I remember getting an early copy of Mafia 2 for review and it had a literally game-breaking glitch that prevented me from completing it until they sent me a custom patch, lol.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2015, 13:21.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Torment Next Year
18. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 15:50 jacobvandy
Lol, I can see you're having some difficulty, CJ... it's not really so simple as you might think it is. Your super conservative estimate only works when you know how much money you're going to get. The only concrete figure of that type is the base fundraising goal. Anything beyond that is welcomed, but it changes the plan... you can't plan for stretch goals definitely being reached before the campaign starts unless you have a crystal ball. Most rational backers know this, and adjust their expectations accordingly.  
News Comments > Torment Next Year
9. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 13:22 jacobvandy
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 13:07:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 12:33:
Does anyone actually believe the ETAs for any given Kickstarter, especially after stretch goals are added? Games get delayed all the time. Usually, these delays occur before release dates are announced but with KS, you don't have that luxury.

I want to believe in the dates because I want to believe that serious, reputable people with actual brains and a campaign plan as well as a project schedule are coming up with the dates (including all eventualities like the possibility of stretch goals and possible delays).

But I have learned that this is way too much to expect from most devs. Most devs are neither serious nor do they seem to have any kind of plan other than extort money from people.
They are only looking for a quick buck and dangling unrealistic dates to bait and switch the backers, conning them into backing by giving the illusion that the game is not that far away when in reality they fully well know that their dates are completely unrealistic.

And that is why I'm done with crowdfunding for the most part. For example, Obsidian, CIG or inXile: Never again in my whole life (well, I got WL2 as part of my PoE backer level so technically I never gave inX any money in the first place).
They all had their chance to prove they are better than publishers. They're not. End of story - for me.

On the other side of the coin, I say GOOD FOR THEM being able to dictate their own schedule, rather than be forced by a publisher to meet a deadline. Game development is a creative, iterative process, it's impossible to just insert discrete variables into a formula and determine an appropriate release date before you even get started. That's what big publishers do and we've seen the kind of disasters that can result from it... If you don't trust the team behind the project to get it done on their own terms, then don't fund it, fine, but to insist they should try to emulate the very corporations who have proverbially butt-fucked many of these guys is just idiotic.
News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Footage
20. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Footage Nov 2, 2015, 12:56 jacobvandy
I haven't seen the video(s), but from some of the reactions, whoever was recording hasn't reached any "dreary" areas yet. Bethesda has shown a bunch of different environments, including a major one that is your stereotypically devastated, covered in dense nuclear fog wasteland. People bitched to NO END about previous games being completely covered by that sort of atmosphere, so they took that criticism to heart and gave us a variety this time...  
News Comments > Yet Another New Steam Record
4. Re: Yet Another New Steam Record Nov 2, 2015, 12:38 jacobvandy
It's not click bait if you can read the whole story without clicking... You only clicked because you had to open your mouth.  
News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
22. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 20:35 jacobvandy
Does anyone know if Valve has mentioned lately what their active account number has reached? They went from 75 million in January 2014 to 100 million the following September to 125 million in February of this year... If that kind of growth has even kept steady (more likely to have increased pace, IMO), we'd be at least 150 million by now. This jump in concurrent logins could just be a coincidental blip in the bigger picture of that keeping up with how big the overall user base is becoming.  
News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2015, 13:47 jacobvandy
We're into the single digits people! 9 more days...  
News Comments > Amazon's Black Ops III Midnight Deliveries
5. Re: Amazon's Black Ops III Midnight Deliveries Oct 31, 2015, 20:47 jacobvandy
Are these delivered by drone? What kind of killstreak do you need to call them in?  
News Comments > Valve's VSync Experiments
14. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 13:08 jacobvandy
Sorry (not sorry), but you have no experience with skilled FPS gameplay if you've never felt input lag from Vsync... Or maybe the one FPS game you've ever played happened to handle it better, because some of them do. Somewhat ironically in the face of this news from Valve, I've felt their Source engine games are fine with Vsync on.

It's not limited to that genre, though, I've kept Vsync off in RTS games or anything else where mouse precision is a factor because of this problem. I don't like the cursor being sluggish.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2015, 13:13.
News Comments > Steam Security Tips
8. Re: Steam Security Tips Oct 30, 2015, 20:25 jacobvandy
Yeah, seriously... Most places where you use a credit card are gonna want your phone number anyway, it's not a big deal. If you're worried about telemarketers annoying you (very doubtful when we're talking about Steam, but whatever), this isn't the old days, you can silence a ringer or block numbers with a couple of swipes.  
News Comments > Borderlands 2 & Pre-Sequel Patch Plans
5. Re: Borderlands 2 & Pre-Sequel Patch Plans Oct 29, 2015, 14:14 jacobvandy
Well, a big problem with the perception of crappy loot in these games is that they don't explain that killing bosses (or some other unique enemies) is the way to get your legendaries. They're all assigned a certain item or a pool of items, and the chance for them to drop one is so high that you're usually going to get 1 or 2 oranges after killing them only a handful of times. Then you have the raid bosses, which I believe are guaranteed to drop at least one legendary every time...

Finding legendaries as random loot from garden variety enemies and chests is more of an occasional supplement to that than the primary way in which you're supposed to get them. They can't buff it so high as to consistently reward you with the best loot in the game for doing the most mundane crap, because that undermines the existence of the more challenging content.

It's a pretty moot point by now anyway, not only because these games are getting on in years, but with all the DLC releases adding new currencies and vendors that sell the best stuff in the game, legendaries aren't that big of a deal anymore.
News Comments > Old Arkham Knight Reviews Flagged as "Pre-Release"
16. Re: Old Arkham Knight Reviews Flagged as Oct 28, 2015, 22:18 jacobvandy
Yep, I'm also seeing the proper release date and an absence of the aforementioned review labels.  
News Comments > DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games
15. Re: DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games Oct 28, 2015, 13:38 jacobvandy
Meh, if you read the fine print, or even the summary from the EFF website, you'll find that the Librarian of Congress (whoever the hell that is) ruled in all his/her wisdom that this doesn't apply to retired MMOs or games which are still playable in offline modes. So no resurrecting Star Wars Galaxies, and no creating your own servers for games like Battlefield 1942 or BF2, which are still playable with bots or via LAN.

So still a step in the right direction, I guess, but not nearly the victory the EFF was hoping for. Their primary intent with the video games petition was specifically to reserve the right for people to restore their own online services to games where multiplayer components have been disabled by the developer/publisher, and that was denied.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Preload Plans
1. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 26, 2015, 19:10 jacobvandy
Having to wait an extra 12-15 hours to play is the worst part of buying physical...  
News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 25, 2015, 14:10 jacobvandy
The CS:GO playerbase exploded in the past 18 months (concurrent players are 3-4x what they were June '14), so what you're seeing is likely the great increase in the exponential effect of word of mouth. Popular games get more popular, and I would guess that a decent chunk of these people buying it are brand new Steam users, too. It's been many years since the platform was just a few million Valve fans who all own CS...  
News Comments > Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans
4. Re: Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans Oct 23, 2015, 23:45 jacobvandy
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 23:08:
It doesn't matter what they call it. It'll just be "Double Fine fucks over their customers part IV."

Pretty much this. Schafer and co. proved quickly that they are now entirely undeserving of the old-school gamer cred Double Fine was built upon... I'm not going anywhere near anything else they ever do.
News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Launches
15. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Launches Oct 23, 2015, 13:11 jacobvandy
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 13:00:
Gaming Law:
If you buy early, expect to pay more. If you wait, expect to pay less.

That said, there are still ways companies can do things that don't pass the smell test, this could be one. We get the $ value, but there is still things that can happen that aren't quite right. Perhaps that happened here.

What kills me on going back to mmo's after a long time off them... I feel lost and helplessly behind even in a sideways progression game like GW2. Because there are always secrets(tm).

The solution is to play by yourself, that way you aren't comparing anything to anyone else. Thankfully, the vast majority of stuff to do in GW2 can be done solo.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Luck Video
15. Re: Fallout 4 Luck Video Oct 21, 2015, 19:18 jacobvandy
The Pyro wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 18:05:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 16:04:
I still can't get over the system requirements on the AMD side of things. I fully expect to see either a giant nVidia logo or 'Fuck you, AMD' splash on the loading screen before the menu.

The system requirements look steep. Recommended processor is a Core i7 4790? That's basically the fastest consumer processor on the market now, right?

I want to try the game but I'm afraid I'll need a new PC to enjoy it properly. I've been squeaking by for too long...

Not quite, and it's been made completely obsolete by the new 6th Gen i7 chip that just came out. Recommended means for the best experience, though, so it'll run fine on less. With that said, considering they finally made the move to native 64-bit (one of the good things that trickle down from the new generation of consoles), a good CPU will hopefully boost performance significantly.
News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransaction Tweak
13. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransaction Tweak Oct 21, 2015, 16:37 jacobvandy
Razumen wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 16:01:
It's just a fun game, honestly these micro-transactions are BS, but the DLC was fine, the new guns weren't more powerful than the rest, just unique, and they had regular sales at 75% off or more.

You make it sound like they're constantly doing dick moves.

Selling you a DLC pack of weapon mods, then making you grind missions endlessly to *maybe* unlock the mod you want isn't a dick move? They did that repeatedly, but now the way they've done microtransactions (which, btw, they had promised before they'd NEVER HAVE) is a big enough dick move to count for about 50 instances of that sort of thing. They nerfed weapons and put stats to improve those weapons back to where they were before on the skins you can *maybe* get out of the pay-to-open safes...

And you're just plain wrong about all weapons being equal. Maybe a year or two ago with the first couple of weapon packs that was still true, but ask any veteran player and they'll tell you the power creep is real. Though now I'm also hearing that weapon balance in general is completely out of whack with this latest update. Some that weren't fucked to rely on paid stat increases in order to remain viable are now stupidly overpowered, so when you get your pay-to-win stat increase they're even more so.

It's a joke, dude, check how many people with hundreds or even 1,000+ hours played have been calling them out on their shit through negative Steam reviews, since they're being censored on the forums and community group. My opinion is that they were already on thin ice with the way they handled monetization before, but now it's devolved into a complete piece of overpriced garbage that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, regardless of it being a decently fun game at one point.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2015, 16:07 jacobvandy
shihonage wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 15:22:
This last season they had an episode where they tried to legitimize incest. Without a joke. For real.

I don't recall the exact episode, but the show in general has a lot of dry satire... You probably just missed the joke.
3139 Comments. 157 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo