Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2958 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released
1. Re: The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released Aug 17, 2015, 17:50 jacobvandy

Well shit... I had started a new game a month or two ago and apparently forgot to make a manual save of my story finish game, so the autos and checkpoints were overwritten and now I can't do NG+. I'll probably wait a bit longer now, lol, since I'm not quite up to doing another playthrough so that I can do another playthrough yet.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 16:55 jacobvandy

There's always those moments immediately after you see your dog lick their own ass or whatever where you don't want their tongue anywhere near you, which is perfectly understandable, but in general no harm will come from a dog's mouth. It's a myth that their mouth is cleaner than a human's (some dog nuts love to spout that nonsense), but studies have shown they're not significantly "dirtier" than the typical human mouth, either. Plus most of the bacteria you'll find in either is non-transmittable between species, so you're probably not going to get sick from your dog licking you or vice versa.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
10. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 17, 2015, 16:41 jacobvandy

It's the spiritual successor, basically, since Techland lost the Dead Island IP after they and Deep Silver split up over creative differences or whatever BS. It is an improvement in just about every conceivable way, so now Deep Silver is struggling to compete, and I'm sure they're kicking themselves in the ass over it.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
7. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 17, 2015, 14:04 jacobvandy

Anti-modding developers don't release map-making tools, integrate Steam Workshop support, and run regular contests encouraging user-made content... These ones did and do. Get some perspective.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
25. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 16, 2015, 20:51 jacobvandy

Objectively, I don't think there's any reason to look a gift horse in the mouth here. Not only is the verbiage in the interview from January 2014 very non-committal (absolutely not a promise like Blue wrote), but the ignition of this powder keg comes from a community manager who tweeted the link to the official website announcing these mod tools... I don't think it's that big of a leap to think he may have simply spoken out of turn. It's not like he has the power to make that decision, and he may not even know what the dev team is still working on.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Game+ Mode Announced
10. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Game+ Mode Announced Aug 15, 2015, 03:53 jacobvandy

The first one did, not only because it was that good, but also because of the whole ghost vs. panther vs. rambo thing they did so well. As long as they're keeping that same central theme of supporting multiple distinct playstyles, this one will, too.  

News Comments > More Diablo III 2.3.0 Details
6. Re: More Diablo III 2.3.0 Details Aug 14, 2015, 21:50 jacobvandy

Yeah, set builds are always the new hotness, but they are also adding many, many new legendaries that enable or enhance builds, too. For example, one of the top Crusader builds depends entirely on a legendary shield added in Season 1, then a legendary sword greatly enhances that, and having the set to enable supersaiyan mode as much as possible isn't required but makes the build even better, etc.  

News Comments > Rocket League DLC Released
2. Re: Rocket League DLC Released Aug 14, 2015, 15:46 jacobvandy

We've talked about new map ideas in previous play sessions... a 4-team square arena would kick ass!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 13, 2015, 20:25 jacobvandy

Bucky wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 17:36:
The first setup question Shelter asked me was if I wanted to allow notifications. This alone blew my mind, as most games don't even allow you to turn them off, let alone ask you at the start!

I have a strict policy that requires me to uninstall any app that pushes notifications without my approval or ability to turn off. Bethesda will get money from me simply for asking the question.

I agree that it's good design and that they deserve credit for being upfront about it, but you should also know that ALL apps can have their notifications disabled on a system level. Go into your application settings and you'll find a check-box for it along with the update/uninstall/disable buttons for the app. I found this out back when I was fiddling with the Dying Light companion app, which had way too many notifications and no in-game option to disable them.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Celebrity Siege
1. Re: Rainbow Six Celebrity Siege Aug 13, 2015, 13:26 jacobvandy

Was I not informed that the definition of 'A-list' was changed?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 13, 2015, 13:20 jacobvandy

Woohoo!  

News Comments > Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode
19. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 18:41 jacobvandy

Fair enough. I sometimes compare it to 3D billiards. :p  

News Comments > Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode
17. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 16:59 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 14:48:
Verno wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 14:06:
Sigh. I feel like you're just interested in debunking any comparisons to soccer for some odd reason rather than Rocket League itself. I suggest you pick it up cheap in a Steam sale and decide for yourself on its merits.

People setup plays, pass and "control" the ball (as much as can be expected from an RC car) all the time. I'm not even terribly good at the game and its a lot of fun, I don't feel uncoordinated or any lack of control after getting through the learning phase either.

I own Rocket League and I'm disappointed with it because I wanted and expected vehicular soccer when I got vehicular pinball. The comparison didn't seem appropriate and I wanted to know if it was just my lack of skill or the nature of the game. It appears to be at least partially the later.

Soccer scaled down to be more frenetic and action-packed is still soccer. You have two goals, a ball, and teams of players who aren't allowed to carry the ball yet are tasked with putting it into the opposite goal... That's the definition of the game. You can also tackle other cars to interfere with their handling of the ball, which again, is very soccer. If you want to dribble, you have to slow down and not hit the ball so hard.

It sounds like you want the arenas to be 3-4x the size of what they are and for the speed of the cars to be halved, but that would be pretty boring, IMO. This game already has enough potential for tense 0-0 matches without that, though it hinges on people knowing what they're doing and playing defense when appropriate. Pro teams have a dedicated goalie that can block 80-90% of shots no matter how they come, thanks to the ability of the cars to jump and dive and bicycle, etc. Mastering that maneuverability is key to pulling off deliberate plays, as is being able to anticipate where the ball is going to be when it's bouncing around in three dimensions.

People only play it like pinball because that is the easiest thing to do, plus it's a hell of a lot of fun. There is plenty of room for a more calculating approach in the game, and when you're able to make your own opportunities rather than just wait for them, it will look like you get "lucky" all the time.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC Released
13. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC Released Aug 11, 2015, 23:01 jacobvandy

ledhead1969 wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 20:18:
Mac wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 18:51:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 18:42:
Mac wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 18:35:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 17:56:
Played a somewhat boring 68 hours, got too bored to complete it, never touched it again.

One could argue you got your monies worth???

Yeah I guess, but I was mostly forcing my way though it in the hopes it would become good. There were some points that were pretty good. Worth the money? Sure. Best use for the money(talking games here)? Probably not.

I know what you mean - I finished the story, and by the end I was pretty bored ... never killed a dragon through the game, and no great pull to go back and do so ... also, I'll wait until the DLC is on sale before even considering more - my backlog of games is big enough already!

I find it fascinating that you played the game to completion and didn't kill a single dragon.

Seriously! Hunting down the dragons was my favorite part of this game. Became a little tedious by the time I got to the last few, as I was overpowered and didn't get any use out of their loot by then, but still. The first one was epic, and the next half-dozen or so were the highlight of their respective zones.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 4 Preview
5. Re: Diablo III Season 4 Preview Aug 11, 2015, 22:40 jacobvandy

I spent the first month or so of this past season playing a Barb with the new Wrath of the Wastes set... It's really fucking awesome. Spin to win, high speed clearing with AOE that blankets the entire screen, plus capable of pushing GR50+ solo if you pair it with the 4-piece Immortal King set bonus that lets you be in berserker mode AND have those ancient allies with you the whole time. Strongest build I've ever played, even more so than the Maurader set for DH was before they nerfed it. (Sorry, "re-worked" it. :P) I don't even have fully optimized gear for it, either.

I'm wondering what cool new builds will be enabled with this new patch, season... Condemn Crusader was my Season 2.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 4 Preview
1. Re: Diablo III Season 4 Preview Aug 11, 2015, 20:15 jacobvandy

Repeating transmog rewards? Bah...

The more obvious interface for seasonal "objectives" looks good, though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 9, 2015, 15:13 jacobvandy

If you're holding off on Kaer Morhen because you think that might be the finale... It's not. :p  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Weekend Underway
5. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Weekend Underway Aug 8, 2015, 17:43 jacobvandy

Story mode for the dungeons? There's also "Exploration" mode after you beat them the first time that opens up new paths and objectives in more of an unguided, freeplay style that is supposed to be more challenging. I keep meaning to start working through those because it's a big chunk of AP I'm missing, but so far I've only done a handful of story dungeons.

Fractals have a configurable difficulty level, though, they're only easy if you set it to be that way. 0-10 is a cakewalk for a max level character (it does scale you up no matter what level you are, but I think having sub-80 gear hurts you), and then tiers 10-19 and 20-29 introduce more complicated boss mechanics, overall tougher enemies, and an increasingly deadly debuff called Agony that you counter with a special resistance you can only slot into Ascended equipment. Then 31-50 adds various unique debuffs you carry the entire time to screw with you, along with Agony becoming too deadly to survive without sufficient resistance. So it's basically impossible for you to have played one Fractal (or series of three, I expect), and write off the whole game mode as being too easy.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Weekend Underway
3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Weekend Underway Aug 8, 2015, 16:21 jacobvandy

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 15:35:
I had a lot of fun leveling in GW2, more than any other game by a long shot. However, I hit level cap and was immediately bored to tears. I saw everything while leveling and there was nothing to accomplish past that.

i left the game after 4'ish months in, never looked back. Recently reinstalled it and I had still near top tier gear (no biggie) but then I did some "vs-NPC's" in a PvP type environment while waiting for the W vs W vs W PvP map to open up for me. It was a cakewalk of spam. We ran over every NPC mob without anyone dying ever.

It feels like there's no challenge in this game at level cap.

What does Heart of Thorns bring to the game in terms of challenging content? I know, I am not looking for WoW/Rift/WS leveling raiding.. but at least to accomplish something of worth besides a jumping puzzle

You could try *not* rolling around with the zerg, if challenge is what you're looking for. It sounds like you were in the Edge of the Mists pseudo-WvW map, that place is 24/7 WXP farming; teams of different servers who are supposed to be fighting will ignore each other to roll over the PVE content there, pure grindage to rank up for extra skill points in WvW (which in itself is often plagued by groups of pussies that would rather break down doors and flip forts for Karma currency than actually engage in large-scale PvP combat, but that's another story).

Have you ever tried the dungeons? They're limited to 5-man groups at max, so no zerg spam there, and can be quite challenging if you're not geared to the moon and/or don't know all the little tricks and strategies.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 3 Ending This Month
3. Re: Diablo III Season 3 Ending This Month Aug 7, 2015, 19:30 jacobvandy

Hell yeah, can't wait!  

2958 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo