Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2371 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey 2 Cancelled
24. Re: Prey 2 Cancelled Oct 31, 2014, 14:50 jacobvandy

Along the lines of "but why???" I have heard an interesting theory about this being the result of a failed hostile takeover of Human Head. Basically would entail that they were given a pretty shitty contract to start working on this sequel, and without any support from the publisher of course failed to deliver anything of the "quality" that was demanded of them within X time-frame. So then they're given an ultimatum, either have their project canned and be left with nothing or they "make a deal with the devil" and sign over their souls (ownership of the studio) in exchange for more money and more time to finish it. Human Head declines, game is cancelled, Pete Hines tells us nothing.

I saw some links to older stuff talking about this very thing, and what are purported to be other examples of Zenimax/Bethesda pulling the same shit on other developers: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61569025&postcount=155

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2014, 14:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - NS2 Combat
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - NS2 Combat Oct 31, 2014, 14:41 jacobvandy

Erm, why does this keep getting called a MOBA?  

News Comments > Diablo III Bonus Weekend
7. Re: Diablo III Bonus Weekend Oct 31, 2014, 08:48 jacobvandy

I'm reminded of that famous scene from Private Parts... "People who hate him listen longer than those who like him!"  

News Comments > The Evil Within Demo
8. Re: The Evil Within Demo Oct 30, 2014, 18:54 jacobvandy

Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:26:
Yahtzee is the last person I would trust when it comes to giving an unbiased and fair review.

Your vehement disagreement and unabashed defense of the game comes off as no less biased, from where I'm sitting. Yahtzee isn't always correct, and he has his tastes, but he's known for brutal honesty more than making shit up.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway
3. Re: Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway Oct 29, 2014, 21:38 jacobvandy

I think that was inevitable considering it was put together by a separate dev team. But if you'd like to think of it as a standalone expansion, it does come with several new maps and content such as the return of Onos' devour (IIRC you can actually mash a button to struggle when you're stuck inside and cause damage now), with the promise of new stuff on the way. Stuff which they probably would have included at release if they weren't timing it for Halloween, which is when the original NS mod was released 11 years ago.  

News Comments > Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway
1. Re: Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway Oct 29, 2014, 20:18 jacobvandy

Good. I never understood how co_ maps were left out of the sequel... I love standard mode, too, but a large portion of the fun I had with NS was in combat. I think many others would agree, in fact I always had the impression combat servers were more popular.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Oct 28, 2014, 23:00 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 20:59:
So 2 Infinites equals 1 Transformers?

That's Activision, they never drop their prices. That's why that crappy two-year-old game is still $60 while last year's GOTY contender is down to $30.

News Comments > On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support
12. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 26, 2014, 16:26 jacobvandy

You don't need graphics horsepower for Civ, so the entire comparison is pretty laughable. 4k might mean something if that increased your viewable screen size, and to stack 8xAA on top of that is a waste. Turn off the god-awful DoF effect and I bet you'll get a bigger FPS boost than using Mantle...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 26, 2014, 16:16 jacobvandy

I'm enjoying it. But then, I enjoyed vanilla Civ V. Definitely a lot of room for improvement, but they're still masters of the genre.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
11. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 13:16 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:24:
Let's hope there'll be an SDK.. because if CIV5 was any indication there'll be ZERO fundamentally different mods for this.

I watched a pretty long (3 hour) complete let's play and the game seems to be absolutely dumbed down. You basically control your advancement per research and quests (based on buildings you build and units you kill) ONLY. And Unit modification is only a dumbed down CIV5 perk system with a 2-way or 3-way unit upgrade choice when it comes down to it.

But what really bothered me was how lazy everything looked. The factions are cookie cutter identical, gone are the different city styles from Alpha Centauri per race (now only per affinity), the Aliens are Starship Trooper style cannon fodder (actually, literally starship trooper style bugs) and the various factions don't even have any identity: You could call them AI 1 AI 2 AI 3 and you'd not notice a difference between them. You won't get a angry letter that you just destroyed half the planets aliens... and the win screen doesn't even have sodding stats.

game devs becoming lazy and this is so clearly a CIV5 mod (where the modders got the actual SDK) that it is sad. This is nothing a mod team couldn't have done if there'd be a decent CIV5 SDK

All I got from watching that complete playthrough (on second highest difficulty I might add) was that I want to watch starship troopers again ;p

Mmhmm, except judging a game like Civ on the first 3 hours is like judging a movie on its opening credits...

News Comments > Play Civilization V Free This Week
16. Re: Bah! Oct 21, 2014, 09:01 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 08:50:
Eh, I liked Civ 5 except for the late stages. In every Civ game I have to colonize the entire planet on the largest map size. Unfortunately the game engine is a real dog compared to all previous releases. Loading times extend into several minutes and turns take forever. They clearly designed it for shorter playthroughs and smaller maps. I have 16GB of RAM and this shouldn't be an issue. Except it is and it's a common one.

Unless I hear they significantly optimized Beyond Earth I'll wait for a sale.

More like they just didn't put enough thought into how much data crunch is required when you balloon up into the huge maps with 10+ civs. A faster CPU can shave off upwards of tens of seconds in AI-turn time, every turn. Which can easily translate to saving 30-60 minutes of waiting around in a playthrough. So don't say there aren't any games that benefit from that kind of upgrade!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
51. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 08:44 jacobvandy

If you liked Borderlands 2, you'll like TPS. And I don't mean "if you tolerated BL2," which I know is about the limit of the favor a few people around here have for the series. If you throw up in your mouth at the thought of playing through the story again on True Vault Hunter Mode or leveling an alt class, then you don't like it and probably shouldn't waste your money. Wait until it's on sale at a price you're comfortable paying in exchange for that one 15-20 hour playthrough.  

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
4. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 11:26 jacobvandy

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 11:20:
I'm redboxing this one for my 360 to see if it's worth a purchase. $60 seems steep for this game. Should have been $50, maybe $40.

You can buy that cheap or cheaper in some places already...

I'm enjoying the low grav and laser guns! Pew pew pew!

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
31. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 12:31 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:23:
Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:16:
Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:10:
I never understand the "you can use an unsupported fix" crowd excusing shoddy porting. Yes I can use a few console commands or make some config.ini changes, but "unsupported" means if it doesn't work or if screws your game up it's basically 'tough shit'. I like that the flexibility to utilize such things exists to be sure but I'm not too keen on the idea that developers are relying on it like they seem to be.

Leaving it in there usually means it probably won't mess your game up, though. It might, and they're not going to take the QA time to find out for sure, but it probably won't.

If it probably would, they just wouldn't include it because more headaches will come with including a gamebreaking option than in just not including it at all.

So yeah, it may screw things up, but the fact that they're including it means they're pretty certain it won't.
So is it just a matter of not having the time/resources to fully QA test it?

Or as already mentioned, a real smarmy designer refusing to allow it. For all we know, Bethesda is doing you a favor by enabling these debug commands to get around the limitations, and they have to call them that and say they're unsupported or else they wouldn't be included at all. But to consider that would be to interrupt the self-gratifying circle-jerk of hatred we have going on here...

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
7. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 10:13 jacobvandy

I have no issue with a developer making a SURVIVAL HORROR game that is targeting 30 fps and 2.35:1 for aesthetic purposes. They're giving you the option to bypass those choices yourself, yet you still bitch and moan?  

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
28. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 23:44 jacobvandy

I remember RPS saying they didn't get pre-release code, and they had no idea why. When asked directly, WB gave them the ol' "no comment." I bet they didn't bother approaching them with this nonsense because they knew they're the type to call them out on it.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 2, 2014, 20:24 jacobvandy

I am GLAD they are taking feedback from the beta and acting on it...  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 2, 2014, 08:00 jacobvandy

This Kickstarter report is based on the pledges from the first half of 2014 equaling about 1/4 of the total pledges from last year... I don't think you can reasonably assume that the activity is linear like that.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 23:56 jacobvandy

Yeah... It's only "decked out" compared to the average person's sub-$500 Facebook terminal.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 29, 2014, 23:42 jacobvandy

It'd make a good roguelike.  

2371 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo