Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2813 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
20. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2015, 14:22 jacobvandy

I doubt they'll try it again so soon, but if that's translated correctly, he says "currently there are no plans." That's as good as a "no comment," no matter who's saying it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 17, 2015, 20:56 jacobvandy

They were able to pull off the talk show thing because they had a good host, however I definitely agree it dragged on in places. Some of those guests simply were not good speakers and should not have been given the time to ramble on. Show their trailer or let them demo a level of their game, sure, but even the AMD commercials were more entertaining than a handful of the others.

I'm also disappointed that NVIDIA was completely barred from participating. The Tripwire dev couldn't even mention them when talking about the new PhysX effects coming to Killing Floor 2... They let the head of Xbox come in to spew bullshit and offer nothing, but not the leading purveyor of gaming graphics that is actually relevant to the platform, arguably more so than the namesake sponsor? Shame on PC Gamer.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 13:17 jacobvandy

sauron wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 12:33:
I played a ton of this when it came out, but that was 3 years ago. How come it took so long for the first expansion? There was very little endgame, so the original playerbase has long since moved on.

This is the first proper expansion that is adding a whole new region, a new class, and specializations that can completely change all existing classes, yes. But for the first two years they constantly released new story content and unique seasonal events, including three new permanent zones, all for free. It's slowed down recently because they've been working on Heart of Thorns, but for a long time you could log-in almost every month and have something new to do. If you "moved on," you missed out on a lot.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
7. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 11:14 jacobvandy

Spektr wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 11:06:
Actually I am kinda puzzled by that way of announcing a new product.
Back in days not so far away expansions were promoted by telling people what they added to the game. Now they just mention what pre-purchase will bring to buyers?? Not very exciting..

They announced the expansion months ago, and have been releasing info about it on a [mostly] regular basis since then... Last night they revealed another major feature, Guild Halls, and opened up pre-orders.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 15:16 jacobvandy

Good job spoiling everyone, brah.  

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
8. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 11:03 jacobvandy

Cram wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 09:29:
Grats to Yu Suzuki. $29 donation for a digital PC copy sounds ok.

I found Sony announcing his Kickstarter felt pretty weird, adding further questions regarding publishers involvement in Kickstarter campaigns.

Oh it was definitely very weird. If it means enough to them that they give him the advertising (worth a significant amount of money in itself), why can't they just check their couch cushions and give him the $2 million? You know they're gonna be happy to try to sell it and earn money on it if/when it's finished... This way they can double-dip, garnering the goodwill of "helping out the little guy" while also profiting from a game they were unwilling to risk their own funding on. It's just gross.

News Comments > Steam Passes 10M Concurrent Users
20. Re: Steam Passes 10M Concurrent Users Jun 16, 2015, 02:23 jacobvandy

If you're under Steam level 8, you don't get cards from playing the Monster Summer game.  

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced
11. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced Jun 15, 2015, 23:29 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:15:
Probably a cash-in. Already have the engine, tools and systems done. Just a matter of adding some new assets and VO.

Yup, and this is why I'm not concerned about it being done by someone else. Obsidian created the framework, so now Matt and Trey create more content and any monkey could plug it in, so to speak. :p

News Comments > The Division in March
5. Re: The Division in March Jun 15, 2015, 23:02 jacobvandy

This is the new gameplay from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0_3Ml9heY

You have to give them credit for depicting exactly what will happen in a game like this: DayZ-style cutthroat greed and betrayal. I think it says something about the online gaming community these days, when corporate marketing is made to use that aspect of gameplay to sell a game.

News Comments > For Honor Announced
4. Re: For Honor Announced Jun 15, 2015, 22:40 jacobvandy

The actual gameplay is two teams of four mowing down AI fluff like nothing, until they run into each other and button-mashing ensues. They showed players dueling fairly, but that would never happen online. People are far too impatient to sit through 30 seconds of taunting and parrying for one kill.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst in February
2. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst in February Jun 15, 2015, 17:46 jacobvandy

You mean that she used to be Asian?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2015, 17:18 jacobvandy

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 15:19:
If Bethsoft can get their Fallout 4 companion app working on both Android and iOS, why are Android users getting the shaft when it comes to Fallout Shelter?

Todd Howard made it clear they developed this for the iPhone, it's possibly been a side project of theirs since before any alternative even existed. However it's already confirmed that there will be an Android version. We just don't know when.

News Comments > Hololens Minecraft Announced
17. Re: Hololens Minecraft Announced Jun 15, 2015, 15:54 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 15:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:26:
Impressive? This kind of tech is going to make physical board games obsolete. You could play Civilization on your coffee table! Highlight of the MS show, as far as I'm concerned.

How many board games do you play on your PC currently?

On board game night, does everyone need their own hololens? Or will you pass one around?

Isn't part of the fun of board games to see your friend's faces? How will you do that with Hololens stuck to your mug?

Having a beer is a big part of playing board games with other adults. Would you wear your hololens after a few brews?

You quote me, yet still miss that I specifically said "this kind of tech?" Even if HoloLens turns out to be the Virtual Boy of interactive holography, it's a necessary step in that direction.

I didn't know this until I looked it up just now, but HoloLens actually has its own discrete computer hardware integrated into the headset, which is why it's as bulky as it is. But what if they are able to pare that down in the near future, or create a low-latency wireless link between a base station and powered eyewear that are no more burdensome or obtrusive than ordinary glasses? Would you still be making excuses, or would that be enough to make you start thinking of the possibilities?

6. Re: Hololens Minecraft Announced Jun 15, 2015, 14:37 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:13:
having to move around it instead of moving it around

That's a benefit of a hologram, you lazy-ass, not a limitation.

That it's a virtual manifestation of objects so that they take up 3D space in the real world is pretty much the whole point of it.

3. Re: Hololens Minecraft Announced Jun 15, 2015, 14:26 jacobvandy

Impressive? This kind of tech is going to make physical board games obsolete. You could play Civilization on your coffee table! Highlight of the MS show, as far as I'm concerned.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
58. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 03:56 jacobvandy

Pip-Boy Edition is available for pre-order now, it's $120. Reserved mine from Amazon already!  

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
25. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 15, 2015, 01:47 jacobvandy

Back during the paid mods thing, Bethesda mentioned less than 8% of Skyrim players have used mods at all, and that 20 million+ copies figure is from two years ago during E3 2013. So we know it's a significantly higher number now, just not how much higher.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
49. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:36 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:30:
Of much greater concern than visuals is the apparent lack of skills in the game. During the character creation, there were only attributes. No skills. Not sure if they just skipped the skills for the demo or if the skill system has been removed entirely, but given the changes to the dialogue system, I wouldn't be surprised if the skill system is a thing of the past.

Todd mentioned struggling to keep a lid on the new perks in the post-interview (in response to a fucking pointless Twitter question, "what perk do you wish you had in real life?"), so I'm sure they just left that stuff out.

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
13. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 01:34 jacobvandy

Yeah, the executive producer guy made it pretty clear in the post-interview that the finishing moves are meant for people who suck at shooting enough to let things get right up in their face, lol. Being able to basically insta-kill common enemies up close helps to preserve their admittedly noble goal of keeping the pace of gameplay flowing.

It's too bad they've relegated the chainsaw to fan-service gimmick by making it function the same way... They should've just let you cleave through common enemies more fluidly, without the canned animation, and then made it work like it did before on bigger enemies. That is, you get up in their face and drain health so long as you're grinding into them. Maybe have special kill strokes for the bigger guys only, for a satisfying end to a prolonged battle that has apparently left you with no ammo remaining.

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
10. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 01:19 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:21:
nin wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 23:58:
I'd give it a shot. Looks good, so far. Reminds me of Serious Sam, and that's not a bad thing.

Funny, I had the same thought with the speed and the number of enemies.

The trailer has way more enemies than the slower, more deliberate gameplay demo did, which I'm happy about. Nothing on Serious Sam scale, yet, but definitely more in the vein of the classic DOOM (with the difficulty up a notch or two).

2813 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo