Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2214 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
6. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 3, 2014, 20:03 jacobvandy

I'm sorry... what? How is this optional, client-side fix supposed to help things?

Probably 3/4 of the players are going to be completely oblivious and NOT use it, for starters. But then if you do decide to use it, what exactly will it accomplish? Will you be transmitting your actions to the server and thus other players with less latency, so that they can more accurately keep track of you? Or are you pulling data from the server at a faster rate so that you can more accurately keep track of everyone else? You need to be doing both, for everybody, to actually fix gameplay issues. At least, I would think so.

Haven't they had broadband internet as a requirement for online action games for the past decade? Why are they designing "netcode" to accomodate people with less than 1 Mbit? They need to specify whether that's up or down, but either way, the point stands. At the very least, let it be a server-specific setting with filters in the browser, so you can avoid high latency environments where the 56kers or barebones DSL schmucks are hanging out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Announced
6. Re: Mortal Kombat X Announced Jun 2, 2014, 21:14 jacobvandy

That's just how fighting game characters are; their state of being is pass/fail, dependent on that health bar.  

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch
14. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 19:21 jacobvandy

harlock wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 17:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 15:54:
It's not an MMO.

have you even looked at the website?

"Survarium is a free2play MMOFPS game set in the near future."

It's marketing schlock, unless they've completely changed their design goals in the past year... Which I very much doubt. Just like the world's first "MMOFPS" Huxley, or Hellgate: London, or Battlefield Play4Free, or any number of other online-only shooters, it barely qualifies for the acronym, let alone follows traditional MMO philosophy. There is no persistent, open world, period. They've been clear about that the whole time. It is 100% session-based, whether you're waiting for matchmaking to hook you into a TDM for 20 minutes or you're doing Free Play mode that is just another iteration of the PVP survival sandbox, wherein the server restarts every couple hours and the only thing that carries over is your character. I'm a huge fan of STALKER, dude, I've done much more research into this game than glancing at the official site. I came away disappointed, is all I'm saying.

11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 15:54 jacobvandy

It's not an MMO.  

9. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 14:57 jacobvandy

I'm unimpressed with Survarium so far, but even if they do put out something worth playing in the F2P space, it definitely won't be a STALKER successor. It will have more in common with Hawken (session PVP) and DayZ (open "PVE" with PKing option).  

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Anti-Tease
1. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Anti-Tease Jun 2, 2014, 11:42 jacobvandy

Sounds like a free weekend to me. Maybe Steam isn't keen on those being announced ahead of time, so devs have to do weird shit like this trying to give their fans a heads up.  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
20. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:24 jacobvandy

Well, the government is virtually owned by China, in part. They're one of the largest single creditors of ours, at over a trillion bucks. It's like in Game of Thrones, who are the only people the Lannisters fear? The Iron Bank across the sea...

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 11:29.

4. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 11:16 jacobvandy

Which makes it all the more impressive that they've done here what many large publishers have neglected to do for their 4-7 year-old games...  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
11. Re: Saturday Interviews May 31, 2014, 14:22 jacobvandy

Yeah, I thought we had a clickbait section now?  

News Comments > Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month
7. Re: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month May 30, 2014, 19:06 jacobvandy

Now this I want. Screw Age of Whatever...  

News Comments > DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support
25. Re: DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support May 29, 2014, 15:17 jacobvandy

Going on two years of ignoring everything EA releases... CODifying Battlefield is most certainly not helping their case in my eyes. Any of these upcoming games will have to be super fucking amazing and flawless if they're going to win me back. It just sucks, because I used to love playing them, up to and including BF3.  

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Spearhead Earlier Early Access
2. Re: Interstellar Marines Spearhead Earlier Early Access May 29, 2014, 12:57 jacobvandy

No idea. I bought the Spearhead package 3-4 years ago (they were actually brilliantly ahead of the curve when it came to crowdfunding) when they were promising a super-immersive co-op Half-Life in space... Now all I can do is ignore this nonsense about a multiplayer shooter mode while simultaneously hoping it manages to keep them afloat long enough to actually deliver at least some of the campaign.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
57. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 12:53 jacobvandy

This still qualifies as news? Sounds like business as usual to me...  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Kill The Bad Guy
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kill The Bad Guy May 28, 2014, 18:30 jacobvandy

It's a puzzle game, you have to figure out how to kill the target based on his behavior, the environment, and the resources available to you.  

News Comments > Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY
38. Re: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY May 28, 2014, 17:48 jacobvandy

It seems to me that the contrived backstory is just an excuse to have low-tech weaponry (though WTF was that plasma rifle thing?) in an early 1900's setting. People love swords and bows and arrows and shit, but medieval has been done to death, and adding firearms to the mix is ALWAYS met with massive complaints from the aforementioned people who love swords and bows and arrows and shit...  

36. Re: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY May 28, 2014, 17:24 jacobvandy

MajorD wrote on May 28, 2014, 16:38:
As an interesting comparative:

1998 - Half-Life
2003 - Day of Defeat
2004 - Half-Life 2
2004 - Counter-Strike: Source (Co-Developed with Hidden Path Entertainment)
2005 - Day of Defeat: Source
2006 - Half-Life 2: Episode 1
2007 - Half-Life 2: Episode 2
2007 - Portal
2007 - Team Fortress 2
2008 - Left 4 Dead
2009 - Left 4 Dead 2

2011 - Portal 2
2012 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Co-Developed with Hidden Path Entertainment)
2013 - DOTA 2

But that is all people really care about, in terms of the comparison brought up here.

28. Re: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY May 28, 2014, 16:20 jacobvandy

Bethesda Game Studios' major releases:

2002 - Morrowind, Tribunal
2003 - Bloodmoon
2006 - Oblivion
2007 - Shivering Isles
2008 - Fallout 3
2011 - Skyrim
2012 - Dragonborn

That is nowhere near Valve status (as far as branching out away from core titles)... Entitled much?

23. Re: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY May 28, 2014, 16:06 jacobvandy

ITT: People still forgetting Bethesda is a fairly large publisher of many games from different studios that have nothing to do with Fallout or TES.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 27, 2014, 17:54 jacobvandy

ldonyo wrote on May 27, 2014, 14:44:
jacobvandy wrote on May 27, 2014, 14:29:
Any time a government agency tries to sell you a catch phrase like "Net Neutrality," it's really the opposite. See Patriot Act, Freedom of Information Act, etc.

Good thing the government didn't come up with Net Neutrality, isn't it?

You probably missed the post I made a minute or two before yours, but the government is already corrupting Net Neutrality. It doesn't matter that they didn't come up with the term, because the vast majority of the population hadn't heard of it until Obama starting spouting off about it during the last election cycle (and as mentioned, still wouldn't understand it if you tried to explain it to them). It's a government term now, and what they're currently doing is exactly what he/they meant by it.

In other words, if you were applying the old, truer definition of Net Neutrality when hearing that Obama was going to champion it, you were dead fucking wrong. Which is my point.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 27, 2014, 14:42 jacobvandy

Right, but then the FCC dug their tentacles into it and are turning it into something else entirely.  

2214 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo