Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2302 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access Dec 13, 2013, 22:05 jacobvandy

You don't have to be playing the beta to provide feedback. Pledging the minimum on any game Kickstarter gets you access to their forums where they discuss ideas and put up polls, etc. Buying in late on Steam does the same, they just don't have the different tiers on there.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2013, 16:45 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 15:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 13:38:
The content owners got their money when the person recording/streaming BOUGHT THEIR GAME. (Or they got [much] more than the equivalent value in marketing if they gave a big name a free copy.) If somebody can get people to watch them play games and endure advertisements while they do it, good for them. This is corporate record label-type bullshit, wanting to get paid for doing nothing. Run your own channel or livestream and be entertaining enough to garner viewers if you want some of that advertising money. Because it is the opinion/personality aspect of it that makes it popular, not just showing video of the game.

Yes, but you don't own the game. It's their property. And if you're making money off it then you need their permission. Period. It's the law. It's cut and dry.

Lol, no it is not that cut and dry. Twitch wouldn't exist if streaming video games and selling ads over it was an illegal act. Money is not magically being created from showing video footage of a game; there is an aspect of the person presenting it in a way that is appealing to viewers, often due to his knowledge of or skill in the game. Then the platform he's using makes use of that traffic to sell advertisements, and to encourage such activity they share the profits with the person creating the content. It's an entirely new paradigm of entertainment media, and if you insist there are already laws on the books to govern it, I demand you show them to me. And that's assuming video game publishers even care to have it governed... The majority of them do not, in fact Microsoft and Sony have seen fit to build functionality into their new consoles that directly support this endeavor across all games to stream via Twitch or upload video clips to social media sites (including YouTube where profit can be made much easier than on Twitch).

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2013, 16:50.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2013, 13:38 jacobvandy

The content owners got their money when the person recording/streaming BOUGHT THEIR GAME. (Or they got [much] more than the equivalent value in marketing if they gave a big name a free copy.) If somebody can get people to watch them play games and endure advertisements while they do it, good for them. This is corporate record label-type bullshit, wanting to get paid for doing nothing. Run your own channel or livestream and be entertaining enough to garner viewers if you want some of that advertising money. Because it is the opinion/personality aspect of it that makes it popular, not just showing video of the game.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
6. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 00:21 jacobvandy

The $55 digital tier was the lowest amount for beta access in the Kickstarter. Ergo, the $15 base price + $40 beta add-on if you're getting in late. And they're going to do the same thing that Uber did with Planetary Annihilation when that was released on Early Access -- the price will be high to match what the early adopters paid, and Steam plebes everywhere will bitch about it. It's fair to the real fans, and quite effective in weeding out the idiots who really aren't fit for beta testing.  

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
34. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 14:20 jacobvandy

Yeah, I played it when it was 500 days. Felt like Majora's Mask, except you couldn't go back...  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in April
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:19 jacobvandy

Desalus wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:08:
Gadzooks wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 11:49:
For those looking for elder scrolls gameplay with multiplayer... keep looking.

For those looking for elder scrolls themes, lore, and visuals, with pretty modern mmorpg gameplay, give this game a try.

I can't help but wonder how many people will buy this game thinking it is Skyrim Online. Oh how disappointed they will be.

I really wish Bethesda the best of luck with this game, and they will really be needing it with the monthly subscription fee. I expect to see a successful release and then a flood of players leaving the game in disappointment and because of the subscription fee. It will probably be fairly similar to the rise and fall of the SWTOR MMO subscription numbers.

Bethesda has little to nothing to do with this. It's being created by "Zenimax Online Studios," which is led by a former Mythic designer.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in April
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 11:59 jacobvandy

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 11:46:
I hate mmos, but I LOOOOOOVE Elder Scrolls. I'll play it, but I expect to grow tired of it very soon.

There's a tragedy here though. They designed a ton of provinces in a very short time. This mean that they'll be very generic. They won't have the absolute love that Morrowind and Skyrim got for example. This means that the next single player Elder Scroll games' creative liberties will be severly limited...

There's already proof of that, let me dig something up.

Edit: Can't find the image, but basically, the lore describes an Elven city as being amazingly bright and alien, but in ESO it looks like a generic brick fort...

You're out of your mind if you really think that. As if Todd Howard is gonna go "well Zenimax already did Elswyr and it looks like X, so that's what we have to make TES VII look like, even though it's shit." No possible way. This is a barely authorized spinoff game forced by a parent company... I would be hard pressed to consider any of it canon.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Art?
8. Re: Alien: Isolation Art? Dec 9, 2013, 23:57 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 23:19:
I'll add they've pissed in the soup so much it's no longer soup.

Lol, reminds me of that episode of Scrubs. "I believe the ratio has shifted that way, yes..."

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Art?
5. Re: Alien: Isolation Art? Dec 9, 2013, 21:58 jacobvandy

That's Creative Assembly's logo on there, BTW. You know, if it's real.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
40. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 00:18 jacobvandy

It's an MMO. It makes sense for this game because if they put all their effort into an awesome, endless universe to explore, they ain't got time to fill it with stuff to do. SO, they put in the framework for people to do stuff together. They'd probably admit themselves that if you tried to play alone, you'd be bored out of your mind.  

News Comments > Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age
4. Re: Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age Dec 8, 2013, 21:24 jacobvandy

Yeah... Having backed this as a project that was not pitched as aiming to waste money on include celebrity voice-overs, I'm somewhat concerned.  

News Comments > Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands
6. Re: Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands Dec 8, 2013, 15:27 jacobvandy

You grossly underestimate the success of the Borderlands franchise if you think they felt the sting of Aliens' failure at all. Like a mosquito trying to bite a rhinoceros, that. At least monetarily.  

News Comments > Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax
18. Re: Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax Dec 7, 2013, 17:35 jacobvandy

They didn't deny it sooner because it was free hype for a property they own. More people are more excited for Fallout 4 because of it, than people are upset and angry that it was fake. Not even fake, really, just somewhat misleading. It's kind of the outdated, cold, corporate analogue to Valve supporting the Black Mesa mod. The whole "we do not comment on rumors" thing just doesn't fly anymore. You don't have to issue a press statement to magazines or take the time to do an interview with one of the top web sites anymore... It takes 10 seconds to shoot out a tweet.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 5, 2013, 23:05 jacobvandy

Yeah, the lowest tier with beta access was the $55 digital deluxe edition thing. I went with the $50 physical box, so no beta access, but I'd rather have a cloth map and old-school manual. Besides, this is one of those games where I think I'd rather skip the rough early version and keep myself fresh to enjoy the proper release.  

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
20. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 19:23 jacobvandy

It's a 1.5GB download, but it requires 3GB of space.  

15. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 14:43 jacobvandy

Overpriced? You're insane. Unless someone just doesn't get it and hates the game, there's no way you spend less than 30 hours in something like this. Many people get a lot more out of it, like how I played Terraria for 200+ hours over multiple playthroughs since it came out. By every measure, Starbound promises much more content than that, and a more cohesive world-hopping experience to boot (including areas that are more difficult than the one you start in).  

1. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 09:02 jacobvandy

I had to jimmy a simple yet bizarre fix to get the thing to finally launch (no idea how someone could have figured out that it was a directory structure issue, nor how that only affects certain people), but the game is already pretty awesome. It plays like a very heavily modded version of Terraria, so obviously only fans of that title need apply.  

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
29. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 12:37 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 12:18:
Noooooooooo! Really??

I told you everyone was celebrating too early when they announced they were killing GfmfWL. They're just replacing it with XboxLive/Threshold, which'll be just as shit on the PC.

The difference now will be that, hopefully, publishers will be less likely to get in bed with Microsoft after the GFWL disaster. Especially now that Steamworks has really taken off and offers a very strong alternative that was just barely functional 6 or so years ago when MS was tooting their horn and promising massive PC marketing campaigns and all that nonsense (remember the kiosks? lol).

Another good thing to come from this -- Microsoft is going to have to try a whole lot harder if their goal is indeed to compete in the PC gaming online service arena. Either that, or pay a lot more in bribes...

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
20. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 15:22 jacobvandy

Axis wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 14:37:
The cooldown timer is 20 seconds, they implemented it to stop the servers getting overloaded with requests as some had it auto-oos which is against the tos anyway.

I barely use the oos command unless I'm forced to target a mob like a boss, once you figure out it's the mob targeting that causes most desyncs you'll almost never need to /oos.

If their servers had enough hamsters, that wouldn't be an issue and/or we wouldn't need /oos. And I'm not sure you realize how ridiculous it is to suggest people don't click on monsters in an ARPG...

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
17. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 14:28 jacobvandy

Their issue with desync stems from how costly the network code is, bandwidth wise, on a fundamental level. In dictating that the entirety of gameplay must be simulated on the server to validate the fast-paced and tactical action as it plays out on the client, there is very little room for error or latency. Certain actions end up waiting for several hundred milliseconds for a response from the server, while others simply fall out of sync and they cannot afford to resync every client as often as it would take to eliminate [most of] the byproduct lag. They were having issues with 50k players merely being online at the same time at launch... Hell, they even put a cooldown timer on the /oos command (to force resync) that only a fraction of the players know about, let alone use on a regular basis. They cannot and will not change the code in a way that sacrifices the responsiveness of combat -- which I have to respect -- but unless they start seriously upgrading their server infrastructure, the problem will continue to persist and drive people off. It's a tough pill to swallow both for them and their dumber hardcore fans that insist it's a problem with your internet connection and not the game, but them's the breaks.

Other than that though, fantastic game.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2013, 14:42.

2302 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo