Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced
10. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced Sep 3, 2013, 15:07 jacobvandy

This won't be AAA, but with Streum On making it, I'm quite interested. Almost guaranteed to be better than Space Marine, at least in the areas that really count. Part of the reason is that I think it'll likely be PC-only.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gearbox Livestream Subscription Plus Bonuses
14. Re: Gearbox Livestream Subscription Plus Bonuses Sep 3, 2013, 14:21 jacobvandy

Oh dang, BL2 DLC still isn't up. Maybe it's been delayed? Might still show up a little later today, though.  

5. Re: Gearbox Livestream Subscription Plus Bonuses Sep 3, 2013, 09:37 jacobvandy

Yeah, can't do that because $5 DLCs aren't put up for preorder that often, lol.  

3. Re: Gearbox Livestream Subscription Plus Bonuses Sep 3, 2013, 09:28 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 09:11:
huh? Guess I will just wait until someone posts it somewhere?

Also, no Vault Hunter Pack 2 to be bought anywhere today?!

New releases on the Steam store generally don't appear until at least 10AM pacific time, sometimes later. Midnight eastern releases for major titles are the exception to this rule (but also really nice when I can play a game at 9 o'clock the night before here on the west coast!).

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
29. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 09:15 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 07:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 06:42:
This game can still be good in it's own right. Even if someone is slapping the Homeworld name on it arbitrarily..

I don't believe everything is as black and white as Pitchford being involved makes it shit. Is he directly involved in development? Or this just in a business capacity?

According to people who donated to Hardware's development they were informed about this over a month ago and offered refunds because the "new publisher" is demanding major changes in the game's direction. So yeah, Pitchford (or at least a Gearbox rep) is directly involved now.

We do know they are dropping the f2p model. What worries me is if they didn't have the resources to complete the game and had to sign on with fucking Gearbox what is going on inside the studio? I'm glad I didn't donate.

If they're dropping F2P, it is pretty goddamn obvious why they wouldn't have the resources they need to finish it... Almost all F2P games open up the microtransactions and/or "Founder's Packs" mid-development. Gearbox offers to provide all of that (and more), so they don't have to go that route.

In any case, everyone is reading WAY too much into Pitchford's press release one-liner. For all intents and purposes, that is his personal opinion of the game and how he would envision doing it if he were at the helm. It is in no way some official statement of analytical fact that can be interpreted to prove anything one way or another.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
13. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 2, 2013, 12:50 jacobvandy

It's definitely bullshit on the part of ISPs. "Heya folks, please buy our super keen 50-300 Mbps internet service! But if you use it for more than browsing Facebook really fast or watching the occasional cute kitten video on YouTube, WE WILL DESTROY YOU!"

They make enough money off of the vast majority of customers barely using their available bandwidth, to be able to tolerate the remaining few taking better advantage of it (in this case, it's 45 people out of 5.8 million subscribers using more than 10% of their total pipe...). But all they see is money they *could* have had if only those more active users would back it down a notch... If they truly can't afford to offer unlimited service at those speeds, then maybe they -- oh, I dunno -- shouldn't offer it?

And don't you love the irony of the so-called "business package?" As if paying a little more per month for the same usage at the same location would suddenly NOT "impair service performance for other users" in that area.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2013, 13:00.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 22:33 jacobvandy

I'm pretty sure they were forced to do IV as soon as possible while THQ was circling the drain, and then when it was too late, they already had a release ready that Deep Silver went ahead and packaged up and shipped out. Now with the extra time and money, Enter the Dominatrix should offer a significant amount of new and varied content. Hopefully.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2013, 23:53.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 13:51 jacobvandy

Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:35:
I like the idea behind "You Need a Budget" (so far as I understand it). I probably could have used accounting software designed specifically for people living barely above hand-to-mouth when I was younger. All of my actual "accounting" could probably have been taken care of on a 10 line spreadsheet, so I just kept it in my head. It worked out in the end, but I was at any given time and at best a couple unexpected thousand dollars away from being completely screwed.

The problem with keeping it all in your head is that you don't pay attention to all the money you spend, outside of bills and other necessities. So long as you have $XXX on hand at the end of the month, you think you're good. Putting it down on [virtual] paper makes you more accountable, gives you a more tangible feeling of progress (paying off debt, saving, etc.), and helps you keep track of mid- and long-term goals. You could argue that those things are still helpful even for people who are "too rich to need a budget."

For instance, it's easier to stay strong during a Steam sale if you have a total spending figure that you've budgeted for, as opposed to general knowledge of how much money (or credit) you have available. You might arrive at such a figure by putting aside a little bit of extra money you have leftover every month into a "Steam Sale" fund, so that you don't end up eating nothing but ramen noodles in July or December/January. :p

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
3. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 15:12 jacobvandy

Whether it's paying to win or not is irrelevant; since when does anybody launch their cash shop before the game even exists? I really hope the sad, strange little cult of followers here are beginning to realize how blatantly they're being exploited...  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Level Caps Explained
17. Re: Borderlands 2 Level Caps Explained Aug 31, 2013, 02:32 jacobvandy

Derp... So there was actually a sizeable patch released on Wednesday the 28th, wasn't reported here despite this other news about the upcoming DLC release... And they nerfed the legendary loot midgets, LOL. They're no longer guaranteed to drop E-tech and the orange drop rate was reduced. I found this out after going back to try another run after talking about it today, then checking the forums to find out about said patch after I got jack shit from four midgets.

They also nerfed another exploit that I wasn't aware of, but which people apparently loved to do a lot, allowing you to freely re-enter the treasure room at the end of the Pirate's Booty DLC. Finally, they introduced a hacked item detector, which automatically deletes any modded weapons, etc. that people have been using save editors to create out of thin air. So people are PISSED, but on the bright side they fixed some things like the Warrior obscuring loot drops with his corpse (he now falls off the edge of the map after dying) and BNK-3R glitching out during his death animation, along with adding yet more inventory upgrades to Crazy Earl's eridium shop.

Full patch notes here.

13. Re: Borderlands 2 Level Caps Explained Aug 30, 2013, 15:35 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 13:21:
You have to do something to get top-range gear, because otherwise, just based off the weighted drop rates and averaging it out, it'd take thousands and thousands of hours to get a decent supply.

How would the creature slaughterdome speed up the loot run?

Because that new location inside the preserve gives you a save/spawn point about 2-3 minutes away from the midgets, saving you the other 4-6 minutes of running from the start of the level.

10. Re: Borderlands 2 Level Caps Explained Aug 30, 2013, 12:38 jacobvandy

I learned a couple months ago that the way 95% of "legitimate" legendaries (i.e. not modding or cheating to boost drop rates) are found is exploiting guaranteed Loot Midget spawns. It's in the Wildlife Preserve, and when you have a specific side quest active to find the slag research recordings, this room with four cardboard boxes in it will have a midget jump out of each one. In UVHM, they're guaranteed to drop at least an E-tech artifact (there's a wide variety and they're all really good) and in my experience maybe around a 15-20% chance to drop any legendary in the game. Takes about 5-10 minutes to run through and I averaged one orange every other trip. It's actually a lot shorter if you have the creature slaughterdome DLC, but I didn't feel like buying that just to make the farming run easier (at least not at full price :p).  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds Aug 29, 2013, 22:51 jacobvandy

Well, it's kind of meant to stir your interest in the army, but they really don't have any qualifications for enlisting, lol. As long as you pass their physical requirements, you're in AFAIK.

Now, once they perfect the combat robot, they will definitely be looking at your scores in the game to see if you can join the 21st "Fat and Lazy" Remote Control Division.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Aug 29, 2013, 00:19 jacobvandy

Lol, how the hell do you figure that? Anyone born in the mid- to late-'80s grew up watching the cartoon and trilogy of films at the height of TMNT popularity. If anything, their fans now have a bunch of their own money to spend on things, as opposed to having to beg their parents for action figures and etc.

The only problem is that their (whoever owns it) attempts to revive the IP in the past 5-10 years have not been doing any favors for the franchise's legacy... The new "hipper" cartoon is just bizarre, and I have no interest whatsoever in the reboot movie. They should have just sold it to Disney, and let them give it the Pixar and/or Marvel treatment.

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 100 Titles
6. Re: Steam Greenlights 100 Titles Aug 28, 2013, 22:42 jacobvandy

Just glancing through the list, there are a few stand-outs, but also a lot that just reek of crap. Such is the problem with opening the floodgates. If they're going to continue in this fashion, I think they should have a separate section of the store for Greenlit titles, like Xbox Live Indie Games.

Also, anyone else notice Shadow of the Eternals made it? LOL. Just goes to show you the kind of oversight [not] happening here...

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Video
3. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 28, 2013, 22:22 jacobvandy

a sign of strange times for the game industry when you are creating marketing materials exclusively for people who have already bought the game.

Just because dev diaries have become en vogue for promoting your game, does not mean all dev diaries are "marketing material." They're giving backers privileged, behind-the-scenes insight into development in return for them paying to make it possible... If anyone were interested in seeing these videos, they should have paid in.

With that said, it's just hosted on YouTube anyway, so you could probably find it if you really wanted.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 28, 2013, 14:08 jacobvandy

The guys are all about fun and games, casual gay pedophilia, etc... It's just that the women over there are 4th- or 5th-class citizens. Anyone with the sense to get the hell out (even to eastern Europe :p) is certainly going to be quite happy he did.  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned
20. Re: Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned Aug 27, 2013, 22:33 jacobvandy

That may be the most pointless video ever posted here, BTW. To think I let 1080p buffer for a while... for that!  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned
15. Re: Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned Aug 27, 2013, 19:42 jacobvandy

necrosis wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 17:53:
NKD wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 12:41:
Ubi has already been doing very good PC ports for some time. Nothing new here.
Only as long as you ignore that their PC ports come out MONTHS after the console versions.

The new Splinter Cell was same-day, Assassin's Creed III was a few weeks later, Call of Juarez Gunslinger was same day, Far Cry 3 was same-day, Blood Dragon was same-day, last Ghost Recon was one month later, Driver: SF was two weeks later, From Dust was three weeks later, AC: Revelations was two weeks later... The last release even remotely close to your pointless hyperbole is CoJ: The Cartel at two months delayed, but were you really itching to play that one? You have to go all the way back to AC: Brotherhood to get to the last release that made it to PC 4 months after it did consoles. But that was also the time they decided to start getting rid of always-on DRM, so I think we can still call that a "very good port."

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned?
11. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned? Aug 27, 2013, 14:17 jacobvandy

I'm sure they planned to allow 5 or maybe even 10 extra levels, but PLAYERS always want more, more, more... At least they're attempting something more creative with overpower thing.  

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo