Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2352 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 jacobvandy

Most games are not worth full price, period. And still others that are, may not necessarily interest me enough to buy them right away. Elder Scrolls, GTA, Civilization, and a few other series are among those that I buy instantly without hesitation. There's just so much stuff to play these days, including quality free-to-plays or indies that start out really cheap, that it doesn't make sense to throw money away on more expensive games by buying them as soon as they release. (Christ, I still haven't played Arkham City, bought that full price because I really liked Asylum, then got distracted...) What happens is you wait until the game is at a price that is fair to you, which is better than them not getting a sale at all.

Pigeon wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 11:57:
If just half of the players who buy the game during a 50%-off sale would have bought the game at full price if that was their only option, we'd already have a wash. What fraction of sale-waiting players fall into this category? I suspect way more than half. The picture gets even worse for 75%-off sales.

And I suspect way less than half. I don't think its so much a matter of, 'if I only wait a few weeks I can get it for %50 less', and more a matter of buying at a perceived fair/good value. I see games that looks fun frequently, but they're not worth $60 to me. Its not even a matter of a game budget, i.e. I only have $60 to spend on games. I think people are more likely to buy 4 games for $30 each than 1 for $60.

He's an idiot. It's been proven time and time again that sales increase exponentially at lower prices. Getting the most return is now a matter of finding the butter zone of the specific curve for your game. Is it at 50%, 66%, or 75% of your original price?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Updated
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Updated Jan 21, 2014, 12:22 jacobvandy

I'm still waiting for the update that adds new skills. They're supposed to be enabling every class to use every kind of weapon, and possibly adding more weapon types.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month
4. Re: Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month Jan 21, 2014, 12:16 jacobvandy

Yeah.. WTF. They could have at least bumped up the texture quality if they didn't want to remake models and whatnot. It seems the only difference between this and the original PC port is that they enhanced the UI and added Steamworks. Capcom is really playing with fire here, as they already have somewhat of a reputation for nickel-and-diming customers; now they charge you $20 for the patch that removes GFWL from RE4!

Okay, so RE4 didn't have online features, but this is still pretty crappy.

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
44. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 15:40 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 14:19:
Getting info from public companies is pretty easy but Valve is a private entity doesn't disclose any of it's earnings for anything other than a few vague references. How do they know what CS and TF2 are earning?

It's actually not that hard to extrapolate TF2 revenue, especially given the figures they released earlier this month. More than 90% of all TF2 content is made by community members, and they earn 25% of the revenue for their item selling. $400,000 was paid out to those creators in the first week of this year, so multiply by four and you get $1.6+ million in revenue in one week. It's a rough estimate, to be sure, especially since royalties are only paid out for direct sales; I don't think they share the money from selling keys used to open random loot crates or earned as a percentage of items traded on the market, etc. But what these guys have here is in the ballpark, including guess-timations as to what those other factors contribute.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 17:35 jacobvandy

I agree it's up to the buyer to know what he's getting. This trend has proven, though, that a lot of people spending money on Steam are fucking morons. Go to any discussion board for an Early Access title and you'll see at least a couple of threads with people demanding a refund because they thought they were buying a finished game. Then there are others bitching about the game being buggy or not working for them at all and demanding it be removed from Steam, etc.

They could maybe add another confirmation layer/warning at checkout to remind you again of what you're buying, are you sure you want to do this because it is an EA game (or also Early Access, zing), yadda yadda yadda. Some developers take advantage of the store page descriptions to reiterate what they're offering (like you see with DayZ), but no matter what they are all still clearly labeled as Early Access right at the top. If you somehow miss it or ignore it, it's your own damn fault.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 18, 2014, 21:13 jacobvandy

He wouldn't have to after you buy him new ones, lol.  

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
12. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 18:57 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 18:08:
i7 quad? As if an i5 quad wouldn't cut it?

It obviously does cut it according to the minimum requirement... But they recommend the i7, and why wouldn't you?

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
18. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 21:44 jacobvandy

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 21:22:
jimnms wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 19:07:
Neither of those used it as DRM though...

You've obviously never reinstalled Windows and then attempted to continue with a save from before the reinstall.

I've only played two games that made use of GFWL (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Grand Theft Auto IV) and lost all progress in both of them thanks to GFWL. I haven't played either game since that happened.

Fuck GFWL.

Since when does you failing to back up save files qualify something as DRM? That happens with games from GOG, too... Too bad they weren't using Steam Cloud. :p

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free Weekend
13. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

It's already #5 on the top sellers, so whether or not the free weekend helps, a sale is a sale is a sale. I reckon the people who would play the whole thing for free in a weekend and then not buy it are the kind of people who would just as soon pirate it, anyway. It's got to be meant more to hook those who will take the opportunity to try it out to see if they like it, when they otherwise might not have bothered.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer
14. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 16, 2014, 02:39 jacobvandy

After I saw this trailer, I went to go pre-order and... No physical PC copy available anywhere that I can find. I want that metal case.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 22:23 jacobvandy

My favorite bit was when someone asked him if he gets sick of all the HL3 jokes. He said no, that it comes with the territory, and that "every 3 joke is one less fat joke, so bonus."  

News Comments > Dodge Wars Announced
4. Re: Dodge Wars Announced Jan 15, 2014, 22:05 jacobvandy

Super Dodge Ball was awesome. But this... this is a kid-friendly third-person shooter. I'd rather fire up an emulator for some 2D eye-popping ball-to-face action.  

News Comments > LeapDrive Online Announced
3. Re: LeapDrive Online Announced Jan 15, 2014, 21:01 jacobvandy

That basically just means it's made in Flash or Java, and thus is capable of easily running in a browser. Unity is a web-based engine...

There are tons of Flash- and Java-based games on Steam, but they don't run through a browser when you buy it standalone. Minecraft is web-based, also.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2014, 21:07.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access
11. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:52 jacobvandy

Because Massive(tm) amounts of people play it, man! Or will, I guess (Survarium), and it's multiplayer, so yeah... There.  

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
11. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 12:26 jacobvandy

Jraptor59 wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 11:22:
I guess we are solidly in the era of paying $30 for beta access (they say the beta period still has a year to go before the game is ready).

I want this company to survive and do well, but this should cost about $15. As long as people pay for alpha/beta/ideas for games that don't exist, we will be trapped in that ideal.

We have transitioned from the gamer who was exotic/cutting edge/elite (the early days of gaming, where you built your P/C and games pushed the envelope for computer design) to the console generation.

I think it is a "dumber" generation that seems to accept almost anything pushed out there, from buggy games to insane prices, to 8 year old hardware. They don't realize they have real power to shape the face of gaming based on how they spend their money.

You're conveniently omitting the fact that, for every DayZ or other chart-topping Early Access game, there are dozens of pieces of shit that nobody is buying. There is still a filter, it's just a wider range of things it's being applied to. People buy DayZ because it's already compelling and entertaining, same with 7 Days to Die and Starbound and Grim Dawn and all the other good ones. And this isn't happening on consoles, so your entire pretentious argument is invalid. People have already shaped the face of PC gaming by saying "YES, we are willing to pay to play your game early (so long as it's good) and participate in development by providing feedback along the way." Just because you don't like it, that doesn't mean it isn't the new cutting edge of the industry.

As for the reasons they have to finish the game after selling a million copies of an alpha... Maybe they don't have any obligation -- and I'm not even sure how upset people would be about it unless they're one of the group that basically just pre-orders it and waits for it to be finished -- but if they were to just stop development now, it would be a massive breach of trust and scruples in general, and they wouldn't be able to sell anything to this audience ever again. It would also have a ripple effect on all other similar projects in the business model. But they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, as an industry on the whole, because the crowd-funding/early access model is an enormous boon to them as developers. Do you really think they'd want to fuck it up and have to go back to sucking the corporate publisher teet, begging for the chance to make a game they want to make? AAA indie is the best thing to happen to PC gaming in years...

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2014, 12:34.

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
2. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 10:14 jacobvandy

The mod jumped the shark when Rocket left, and all those community jerkoffs kept adding new stuff regardless of all the bugs and glitches they introduced along the way... There are some good ideas, sure, but they never test them for compatibility or even functionality. Like the zombies hitting you inside vehicles -- yeah, it totally makes sense that you can suddenly start bleeding because you drove past a zed at 60 km/h, and there is a random chance just being within 5 meters of him that that will happen. Just thank your diety of choice you didn't roll a fucking dismount, which kills you at that speed.

Then the mod is still chock full of hacker pricks, private servers included. And I've been spoiled by the standalone's interface improvments, don't think I could go back to the old inventory now.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
30. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 12:50 jacobvandy

MxxCon wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 12:32:
Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 09:27:
What a clusterfuck EA made of this game. Offline mode is a good start but doesn't really fix the game being designed around smaller city sizes due to underpinning online functionality where none was necessary.
Actually, if you've seen some of the offline hacks a while ago, you'd see that people managed to build outside of the city borders. Essentially the whole region is one giant city.

If EA won't allow that from the start, I imagine proper offline support will allow hacks to do that.

Forcing it won't help... Who knows what kind of chaos will ensue, if the simulation already broke down with the small towns.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
25. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 11:52 jacobvandy

Hmm, I guess I get what you were going for now, but that's still not a baptism, lol. "Faith healing?"

And on-topic: I'm still not interested. The always-online shit was relatively far down the list of things that turned out wrong with this game. Unless they chuck it in a Humble Origin Bundle 2 with some other games later this year, I won't be getting it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 18:03 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 17:41:
It wasn't enough for Valve to dump their vetting process onto the community with Greenlight but now they're actively pushing unfinished software (that may never be finished) onto their users? Are they really that hard up these days?

No, but they'd be stupid not to take advantage of this trend. Steam EA is their answer to the popularity of Kickstarter and other forms of crowd-funding. They wouldn't be doing it if the consumer demand wasn't there. You can't pretend the people have no choice in the matter.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
6. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 11, 2014, 22:46 jacobvandy

Yeah, first time I loaded up that alpha, I could have sworn I was playing just a texture-less SupCom.  

2352 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo