Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2356 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2014, 13:01 jacobvandy

1badmf wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 10:31:
man there are way too many shill bids on ebay. they really oughta punish those bidders that never intended to pay for that NWC cart; i think like the top 30 bids were way over what it should've been worth. i tried to sell a car on ebay once; listed it 3 times and every time the winner backed out. makes no sense to me why people do this, and it happens way too often to be just bad luck. clearly these idiots bid never intending to pay.

They've always warned that bidding was like a legal contract, but the only thing they can or have been willing to do to back that up is ban you, right? Pretty empty threat. Maybe they should make it so the maximum amount you can bid is directly proportional to your reputation, so shitheads with throwaway accounts can't do exactly what happened to that poor guy selling the NES cart. Then of course you might have more convoluted processes for shitheads creating throwaway accounts (fabricating/buying rep), but that's easier to track and police, at least.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GeForce Beta Drivers
4. Re: GeForce Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2014, 06:11 jacobvandy

GeForce Experience is not the driver, it's optional bloatware. If it doesn't work for you, or you had it configured incorrectly, just remove it.  

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
13. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 27, 2014, 23:27 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:17:
Source has evolved but the last few Source engine games I've played stick out due to their dated graphics and interface. It's a solid, fast, and reliable engine and some really good games such as The Stanley Parable use it to good effect, but it doesn't look as pretty or feel as modern as games like Crysis 3 - which isn't entirely a bad thing, Source's dated menu is a lot nicer than Crysis's nonsense.

Maybe it would be nicer if it was used in a big budget game but I can't remember the last time such a game used the Source engine. Perhaps that says it all.

Titanfall is using Source. They've said they will consider opening it up for modding... They should just put it on the Workshop and allow for custom maps and such, that will make it a big hit on PC.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2014, 23:39.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots
8. Re: Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots Jan 27, 2014, 22:19 jacobvandy

Ehh, how are you supposed to circle-strafe effectively with touch controls? Good luck with that!  

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
8. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 27, 2014, 21:22 jacobvandy

According to the comments, this isn't the first time CBOAT (as they call him) has provided such a leak. If it is just a fan mod of the level, though, I hope they upload it to Workshop.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
81. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 14:18 jacobvandy

Except for the rest of the Top 10 games by concurrent players on Steam all being pretty old, including Civ, Skyrim, etc. I had to go down pretty far to find some that came out as recently as those examples. :p

And if other devs want to follow suit, they are free to do so. However it will be their own asses hung out to dry if their game isn't good enough to sell what they were expecting. Anyone setting themselves up to fail like that probably weren't able to make a good game anyway.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2014, 14:26.

76. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 12:20 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 06:53:
Just because people are willing to throw their money around for incomplete games doesn't automatically make it a good thing. Oh the irony with all the complaints from people buying buggy incomplete games, and now it's considered a valid business model to do just that.

As usual, some people can only see things in black & white. No way in hell something can have both positives and negatives and changes ever be made to improve the system. /sacrasm

But hey, why am I surprised when asshats insult someone from expressing their opinion about wanting a refund for a game they didn't like (that is technically a preorder and should be allowed). Nope, people need to tell him how wrong he is for having his own opinion. Fucktards.

You're just the pot calling the kettle black... A game being buggy or incomplete doesn't mean it's automatically impossible to enjoy playing it. More PC gamers enjoy playing DayZ RIGHT NOW, despite the bugs and missing features, than they enjoy playing Assassin's Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghost, Payday 2, and many other new "finished and bug-free" games. I'm sorry that scares you, but it's the way it is. There are plenty of bad games on Early Access -- I've even regretfully bit on one or two and can only hope they eventually get better -- but to bring up my original point at the beginning of this thread, those games are not the ones you see topping the charts.

News Comments > The Repopulation Funded
3. Re: The Repopulation Funded Jan 27, 2014, 12:02 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:06:
This game is an open PVE/PVP type game right? I donít care for PVP. it detracts from the game when you constantly have to worry about some asshole player killing just for kicks.

Only hardcore servers (i.e. PVP servers in other MMOs) will have faction killing anywhere/everywhere. But even then, there will be different levels of NPC security depending on the zone, like in EVE. Normal servers will require you enter PVP-specific zones or toggle PVP mode on.

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 06:12 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 00:15:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 22:25:
Ubisoft and BiS aren't even remotely comparable.

I never compared Ubisoft to BIS. They are both however established companies. When it comes to BIS and DayZ, they sold a shit ton of Arma 2 based on the DayZ mod alone, that they never would have sold otherwise. From what I recall, the sales figures are more than easily enough to have funded both Arma 3 and the stand alone DayZ without them having to do Early Access and bleed more money from people.

BIS originally had stated that the DayZ stand-alone alpha would be released by the end of 2012. This was stated in Septemeber 2012. It took them over an entire year for them to release that alpha and get to the point where they are now, which is still nowhere even remotely complete and they still say it will be at least another year before they even get to beta. Meanwhile, they are taking peoples money, despite having raked it in from the massively increased sales of Arma 2. It's fucking ridiculous.

To clarify, my reference to Ubisoft was regarding the established Might and Magic series game that was put on Steam as Early Access. Granted (from what I read) it was released in a much more finished state than most Early Access games. But this doesn't make it any better. If they want people to QA their games, hire people, hire a third party QA company...don't charge people full price and call it a pre-order.

It's one thing to have a pre-order and grant beta access with a few weeks or a month before release...it's entirely something else to charge people $30-$50 (or more in some cases) when a game isn't even feature complete and is a year or more from release.

That's funny, I was pretty sure that people are giving their money to play these games (often throwing it at the screen). But when you disagree with the business model, suddenly it's the evil developers taking it by force, against their will...

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 15:19 jacobvandy

Learn the definition of 'objective.' You can say you're personally sick and tired of the same old games, but that doesn't mean the game is actually, factually bad.

And Bats... DayZ is already very playable. It's virtually impossible for all the loot on the map to be gone because the servers restart so often. (And that is a temporary solution until they work out the respawning, same with zombies.) You treading the same paths as most other people on a full server should just be a lesson to not do that. Find more out of the way locations, i.e. not the coastline cities. You giving up and throwing a tantrum after one short session says more about you, the SUBJECT, than the game, the OBJECT.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 11:31 jacobvandy

Objectively bad games do not top the Steam best sellers for weeks on end... So go ahead and keep on with your meaningless hate, but don't tire yourself out too soon; there's no telling how long it'll be on this list.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 25, 2014, 20:30 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 14:07:
Titanfall must not be selling vety well.....got a 25% coupon from GMG.

GMG-specific promotions have nothing to do with what the publisher is or isn't getting. GMG is giving up a portion of their per unit profit to try and drum up large volumes of sales... That's pretty much their entire strategy in selling Steam keys.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jan 24, 2014, 21:20 jacobvandy

Buy Gaming News Site Comment Simulator 2015 to have that conversation.  

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Funded
19. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Funded Jan 24, 2014, 13:52 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 13:49:
If they actually manage the more fluid, immersive First Person Sword like that video, I'm totally sold. No other game comes close to true FPSword.

I've wanted something like that in a game for 10+ years. Elder Scrolls is 'ok' but its not real enough first person sword for me, neither is warband, or that chivalry game with clunky animations. I've always wanted to play the likes of Warcraft in First Person Elf mode, fighting with daggers realistically rather than sitting back in third person hitting your enemy with a thousand cuts.

They could improve on it, sure, but you're not going to get what you want without dual Wii-motes with Motion+ or similar. There are limitations to what you can reliably control with KB/M.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Funded
17. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Funded Jan 24, 2014, 13:42 jacobvandy

Yeah, keep in mind everybody that they're doing this episodic... AFAIK they had one big map of around 9km^2 (the size of Oblivion or so), but they're splitting it into three parts and selling them separately. Each with one main city and surrounding countryside. They claim Act I will be a full game, but afterward they hope to add the new areas and quests following that release.

Please note that we cannot guarantee developing these Acts; while it is our best intention to do so at this moment, circumstances beyond our control may force us to alter our plans.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2014, 13:50.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
13. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jan 23, 2014, 23:26 jacobvandy

Acleacius wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 22:42:
Looks pretty cool, hopefully it will play decently on a PC, since I don't play console action games. I've never played any of the ass creed games. Iirc, from back in the day, they were console ports, with some craptastic ubi drm.

Only one AC game ever had the dreaded Ubi DRM, and that was only temporary. They do almost require a gamepad, but then so does any game of that genre. They're still great games, best played on PC.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
3. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jan 23, 2014, 18:50 jacobvandy

It is very Assassin's Creed, but if they're making a bigger, better, more responsive open world with an RPG slant, count me in!  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 23, 2014, 13:54 jacobvandy

Wasn't really an argument, just pointing out something you said I thought was dumb. But you saying so and then going on to make that awful analogy is somewhat ironic.

Actually being able to fail is one of the best qualities of XCOM, IMO. But if you can't handle that level of consequence in your gameplay, then you should stop playing Ironman... You have the ability to keep a save file that allows you skip replaying anything you don't want to. You voluntarily torturing yourself does not make for a valid complaint against the game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 23, 2014, 13:03 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:53:
Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 11:05:
Skyrim's Stormcloak/Imperial choice is about as meaningful as plot driven AAA games get and that's fairly pathetic.

And I'm 100% ok with this.

Skyrim is a 60-120 hour game. I don't want to make a choice in hour 8 that I regret.

The Elder Scrolls games are action/adventure games with RPG elements. At their length, this works great for me. I absolutely love that I can see everything in one playthrough. I also love games where I can't, but I prefer those to be significantly shorter so that I can replay them. Replayability is somewhat lost on me once a game breaks the 30 or 40 hour range. (Which is also a flaw I think the new X-COM had - it's nearly impossible to do a game in under 20 hours at best. I could do the original X-COM in under half that, then replay it trying new things. Plus, you can fail the new X-COM due to some cheapness at hour 16 or 17, in an Ironman game, which seems like a huge investment to throw away.)

So you're not having fun while playing? You just implied your time is wasted unless you win (XCOM), or you finish in some other manner that you prefer over another (Skyrim).

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated "M"
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated Jan 23, 2014, 12:49 jacobvandy

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:47:
I find it even more annoying when the server is named Christian clan or some such nonsense. I guess that they are killing for Jesus or something. That's what Jesus would have wanted is for his followers to virtually kill people when their not worshiping. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too. I true Christian has no business playing such violent games and to think otherwise would certainly be considered a sin in their own religion. It makes me laugh every time.

YES, that's the best. "We love this violent and profane game but if you use bad words in chat we will ban you." They would run a DayZ server and kick anyone who dared use the built-in middle-finger gesture.

2356 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo