Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2293 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects
6. Re: Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects Jan 6, 2014, 12:54 jacobvandy

Yakubs wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:53:
Someone call me when they start making actual games.

Oooh, BURN!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
5. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 12:44 jacobvandy

It's $400 if you were to buy just the GTX 760 and i3-4330 yourself, so you can decide whether the rest of the package is worth $300. The AMD one is the better deal, but weaker performance. That includes the controller, too, have they said how much that's going to cost? I wouldn't be surprised at $69-99 separately.

The value here over building your own is the build quality. Do you really want to spend a bunch of time and effort and probably more money trying to fit all that stuff into the space of a VCR while keeping it cool and quiet? Shit, some people might not even know what size that is... Probably two blu-ray players on top of each other.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 12:52.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
26. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 6, 2014, 01:07 jacobvandy

Are you sure you haven't had a stroke recently? Because you're incoherent as hell.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 00:03 jacobvandy

I picked it up during the sale, too, and haven't had any issues. AFAIK it uses peer-to-peer hosting, so you might just need someone who doesn't have shitty internet to handle that role. Like my one friend, his DSL modem overloads when he refreshes a big enough server list (jokes about DDoSing himself), so if he hosted the Payday 2 session, we'd probably lag like hell.  

24. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 23:59 jacobvandy

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 22:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 22:46:
There would be many less games that way. Like Digital Sales aren't deep enough? We don't have a big enough library as is? We need to all copy for friends?

I don't buy it, 90% of all games and game devs are shitty. They whine incessantly about their bs on the net.

Think back to when we were kids renting games from mom and pop video stores during the NES era, we rented and finished a whole host of games for $5 without the developers seeing hardly any money at all. We only bought our favorite games because games were so expensive and 90% of games we played were crap (and hence we rented games).

Developers have always had an insane view of their worth and the worth of their games. Most modern games have little replayability. Are incredibly short and loaded with either cut-scenes, filler or dumbed down gameplay.

We haven't had a civilization, or alpha centauri kind of game in a long ass time. I write off cinematic games completely because their emotional highs don't come intrinsically from playing the game but from overwhelming the player with expensive hollywood audio/visuals and conveyor belting the player along rather linear paths like in FF13 and Call of duty.

Now there's nothing wrong with linear cinema fest games, but we've moved along way away from a game being a game with videogame like things like say smash TV where there was lots of imagination and creativity to "just another action movie first person/third person shooter". They are one shot games, you play them and then they collect dust. They have no real long term value.

Great speech there, pal, but that has nothing to do with why you should be able to freely and easily pirate games. Don't like a game, or type of game, then don't buy it. If other people do, and there's enough of that happening, they're going to continue to make them like that. They don't care what you think.

News Comments > December Steam Survey
5. Re: December Steam Survey Jan 5, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

Plenty of newer desktop PCs have integrated graphics, especially since it's standard on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge.  

10. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 14:14 jacobvandy

It's half-baked because it's beta... You have to opt-in to the Steam client beta program to even get the update, and then you have to be chosen as a participant to have the ability to use it. This is not an official feature of Steam, probably a majority of users still don't even know it exists.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 5, 2014, 07:12 jacobvandy

They might count them unofficially, but I don't see why that would have to be disclosed on the Form 990 if they never possessed it in any form. What comprises the $1.17 million is mostly what they vaguely describe as "cost," which is $13k for each of several dozen of hospitals; I'm assuming that's the purchase of some items to send there, but I don't know if the cost of shipping is included in that. Only a few hospitals were actually given cash grants in amounts ranging from $30-40k.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 4, 2014, 19:39 jacobvandy

Screw some rating, look at the IRS tax forms yourself on GuideStar.org.

I see in 2012 they brought in $4.44 million, disbursed $1.17 million as gifts to hospitals, and incurred $343k of expenses (including $110k to anonymous organizations in Asia and the Middle East). Another curious tidbit is the fact their fundraiser(s) lost them $33k, despite $290k in resulting contributions. The president, secretary, and treasurer (I guess the founders, only principals listed) take no salary, though. I'm just wondering what they do with the other two-thirds of the money they had. Could be interesting to look at the 2013 form when it's posted.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 16:08 jacobvandy

I didn't touch anything EA put out in 2013... Hell even in '12, it was just ME3 and then Most Wanted (haven't played that much at all outside a couple short MP sessions, damned peer pressure). That's a rather somber thing to be able to say about one of the "big three" publishers.  

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
79. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 15:48 jacobvandy

I'm fairly sure they don't give a shit about expired snow globes at the moment... I know I wouldn't. I don't know why you would, either? I've got tons of crap cluttering my inventory, including coupons I didn't ask for and can't just get rid of, but it's not the end of the world.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 15:53.

68. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 06:08 jacobvandy

Luke wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 05:55:
And to think with a cd/dvd and no stupid online shit one could play his/her game with no problem...hmmm Clown

Games were not impacted at all. You can still get to your library, and even download things because the content servers are completely separate from the other stuff (not to mention redundant dozens of times over). Was even playing Payday 2, an online Steamworks game, with some buddies Thursday night.

48. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 19:08 jacobvandy

There should be a pair of orange vans filled with crowbar-wielding "independent contractors" heading over to meet those chuckle-heads tonight.  

News Comments > On Sale (1)
27. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 14:40 jacobvandy

Well, there are actually bots you can play with, they're just really awful.  

News Comments > On Sale (1)
23. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 14:13 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:07:
That sucks, for a lot of people. Personally I don't care, as I've been selling them as I get them. Odd that they changed it, but I suppose they want to be able to reuse them next year, whereas there is no point in reusing the Summer Sale cards.

It's pretty simple, actually. The summer sale cards were completely worthless after 3 days because tens of thousands of them flooded the market. This time around, they retained much more value for much longer (they were .80-1.00 the first day and a half) until finally settling at a price 3-4x higher (.16-.20) by the end of the promotion, which has meant exponentially more money for Valve and the participating game-makers from market fees. This was the result of:

a) the holiday sale badge being endlessly craftable, so a lot of people did it more than 5 times (max for summer sale badge) and the upper 1% of crazies did it dozens or even hundreds of times just for funsies

b) crafting the badge gave you a limited edition in-game item for a free-to-play game such as DOTA 2 or TF2, some of which were exceedingly rare and worth anywhere from $50-$500+ (more lucrative fees excepting the very rarest of things that were traded off-Steam for probably $1000s each via PayPal), giving people more reason to craft the badge many more times

c) of course the cards disappearing at the end of the sale; there are still tens of thousands of each summer sale card on the market and immeasurable additional ones clogging up inventories everywhere because they're worth only a penny (3 cents is minimum market price, including 1 cent Valve fee and 1 cent developer fee)

So they're geniuses, basically. Artificial scarcity combined with drastically increased demand meant they probably made more profit from the trading cards than the actual game sales...

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
32. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 13:57 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:09:
Steam has the right to remove a game from your library at any time, it's stated in the terms. we're only renting out games. it's been discussed in Blue's News comments sections on many occasions.

And you honestly believe they would exercise that right for no good reason? Every business everywhere "reserves the right" to do something like that, but they almost never do. Because they never need to under normal circumstances, and if they ever abused it they would catch too much shit.

You're entitled to your own opinion and the manner in which you choose how to spend your own money, but surely you understand how paranoid and irrational you come off?

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
28. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 21:47 jacobvandy

javajeff wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 20:48:
Steam is DRM. This means your account is locked to all your games at once. Two of your games cannot be running at the same time. With retail games, you can install each game on a different computer. The only way to do this with steam is to have a different Steam account for each game. Now this can change if that game sharing feature is enabled.

I've had a dozen games running at the same time... Not that anyone would really need to do that (I was seeing how many games would drop trading cards simultaneously), but it's possible. Not to mention, if you really wanted to, offline mode will accomplish what you want to do, even running the same game on two computers at the same time. I've done that, too, running benchmarks in Crysis or whatever on test systems.

Retail games still have DRM, with about the same amount of leniency as Steam offline mode. Both ways to install and play your games on multiple computers are equally against the terms of your license, BTW. Physical media doesn't preclude a ToS for a non-transferrable software license from applying to you. So you're just against someone actually enforcing it.

News Comments > GOG.com on DRM and Money-Back Guarantees
11. Re: GOG.com on DRM and Money-Back Guarantees Jan 1, 2014, 18:14 jacobvandy

wtf_man wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 17:04:
Another great example comes from our recent launch of our 30-day, money-back guarantee where, if a game bought on GOG.com ends up not working despite what we can do to help you, we'll refund you your money.

That's a great step in the right direction.

I'd like to see like a 1 hour demo of games... like Gaikai or similar service before you buy the game. Doing that on Gaikai actually got me to buy Saints Row the 3rd (I wasn't familiar with the franchise at the time... and swinging purple dildos, from screenshots in reviews, didn't exactly grab me).

That said, I have bought several games and found out I didn't like them... usually it had to do with controls or perspectives I just can't get used to. I try to do my homework before a game purchase, but sometimes I fuck up and impulse buy on a sale. Granted I didn't lose much money... but if I figure out within the first bit of the game that I don't like it... I'd rather not have wasted any cash on it at all.

This goes for all digital outlets... not just GOG.

Green Man Gaming used to base themselves on being able to sell back your games if you didn't want them anymore, like Gamestop for digital. But then they started selling Steamworks games cheaper than Steam with their vouchers and whatnot and exploded in popularity. Now there are very few games they sell that can actually be re-sold, because most of what they sell are Steam keys and of course they can't take those back once you've redeemed them. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is working on a streaming demo system, though.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
16. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 17:00 jacobvandy

Shhh, don't ruin this chance for everyone to jump to conclusions and hate on Steam some more!  

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
19. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Jan 1, 2014, 01:13 jacobvandy

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is probably just the PC version, but with that "new and improved" Lara face texture.  

2293 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo