Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2302 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 22:23 jacobvandy

My favorite bit was when someone asked him if he gets sick of all the HL3 jokes. He said no, that it comes with the territory, and that "every 3 joke is one less fat joke, so bonus."  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dodge Wars Announced
4. Re: Dodge Wars Announced Jan 15, 2014, 22:05 jacobvandy

Super Dodge Ball was awesome. But this... this is a kid-friendly third-person shooter. I'd rather fire up an emulator for some 2D eye-popping ball-to-face action.  

News Comments > LeapDrive Online Announced
3. Re: LeapDrive Online Announced Jan 15, 2014, 21:01 jacobvandy

That basically just means it's made in Flash or Java, and thus is capable of easily running in a browser. Unity is a web-based engine...

There are tons of Flash- and Java-based games on Steam, but they don't run through a browser when you buy it standalone. Minecraft is web-based, also.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2014, 21:07.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access
11. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online Steam Early Access Jan 14, 2014, 19:52 jacobvandy

Because Massive(tm) amounts of people play it, man! Or will, I guess (Survarium), and it's multiplayer, so yeah... There.  

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
11. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 12:26 jacobvandy

Jraptor59 wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 11:22:
I guess we are solidly in the era of paying $30 for beta access (they say the beta period still has a year to go before the game is ready).

I want this company to survive and do well, but this should cost about $15. As long as people pay for alpha/beta/ideas for games that don't exist, we will be trapped in that ideal.

We have transitioned from the gamer who was exotic/cutting edge/elite (the early days of gaming, where you built your P/C and games pushed the envelope for computer design) to the console generation.

I think it is a "dumber" generation that seems to accept almost anything pushed out there, from buggy games to insane prices, to 8 year old hardware. They don't realize they have real power to shape the face of gaming based on how they spend their money.

You're conveniently omitting the fact that, for every DayZ or other chart-topping Early Access game, there are dozens of pieces of shit that nobody is buying. There is still a filter, it's just a wider range of things it's being applied to. People buy DayZ because it's already compelling and entertaining, same with 7 Days to Die and Starbound and Grim Dawn and all the other good ones. And this isn't happening on consoles, so your entire pretentious argument is invalid. People have already shaped the face of PC gaming by saying "YES, we are willing to pay to play your game early (so long as it's good) and participate in development by providing feedback along the way." Just because you don't like it, that doesn't mean it isn't the new cutting edge of the industry.

As for the reasons they have to finish the game after selling a million copies of an alpha... Maybe they don't have any obligation -- and I'm not even sure how upset people would be about it unless they're one of the group that basically just pre-orders it and waits for it to be finished -- but if they were to just stop development now, it would be a massive breach of trust and scruples in general, and they wouldn't be able to sell anything to this audience ever again. It would also have a ripple effect on all other similar projects in the business model. But they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, as an industry on the whole, because the crowd-funding/early access model is an enormous boon to them as developers. Do you really think they'd want to fuck it up and have to go back to sucking the corporate publisher teet, begging for the chance to make a game they want to make? AAA indie is the best thing to happen to PC gaming in years...

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2014, 12:34.

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
2. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 14, 2014, 10:14 jacobvandy

The mod jumped the shark when Rocket left, and all those community jerkoffs kept adding new stuff regardless of all the bugs and glitches they introduced along the way... There are some good ideas, sure, but they never test them for compatibility or even functionality. Like the zombies hitting you inside vehicles -- yeah, it totally makes sense that you can suddenly start bleeding because you drove past a zed at 60 km/h, and there is a random chance just being within 5 meters of him that that will happen. Just thank your diety of choice you didn't roll a fucking dismount, which kills you at that speed.

Then the mod is still chock full of hacker pricks, private servers included. And I've been spoiled by the standalone's interface improvments, don't think I could go back to the old inventory now.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
30. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 12:50 jacobvandy

MxxCon wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 12:32:
Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 09:27:
What a clusterfuck EA made of this game. Offline mode is a good start but doesn't really fix the game being designed around smaller city sizes due to underpinning online functionality where none was necessary.
Actually, if you've seen some of the offline hacks a while ago, you'd see that people managed to build outside of the city borders. Essentially the whole region is one giant city.

If EA won't allow that from the start, I imagine proper offline support will allow hacks to do that.

Forcing it won't help... Who knows what kind of chaos will ensue, if the simulation already broke down with the small towns.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
25. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 11:52 jacobvandy

Hmm, I guess I get what you were going for now, but that's still not a baptism, lol. "Faith healing?"

And on-topic: I'm still not interested. The always-online shit was relatively far down the list of things that turned out wrong with this game. Unless they chuck it in a Humble Origin Bundle 2 with some other games later this year, I won't be getting it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 18:03 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 17:41:
It wasn't enough for Valve to dump their vetting process onto the community with Greenlight but now they're actively pushing unfinished software (that may never be finished) onto their users? Are they really that hard up these days?

No, but they'd be stupid not to take advantage of this trend. Steam EA is their answer to the popularity of Kickstarter and other forms of crowd-funding. They wouldn't be doing it if the consumer demand wasn't there. You can't pretend the people have no choice in the matter.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
6. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 11, 2014, 22:46 jacobvandy

Yeah, first time I loaded up that alpha, I could have sworn I was playing just a texture-less SupCom.  

News Comments > The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress
8. Re: The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress Jan 11, 2014, 21:43 jacobvandy

Kickstarter should have no such thing. If they're clear in describing what purpose they have on KS and what goals they hope to achieve with the money raised, it's 100% on each backer to know what he's getting into. What next, do you want projects that fail to not ever be able to have a second chance? Should projects that aren't just ideas starting from scratch not be able to use the platform for shot-in-the-arm fundraising like FTL, Grim Dawn, and countless others?

In this case, they disclose that it's their second Kickstarter, and obviously enough people are fine with that because they're already 50% above their goal. They're still more or less in line with their original schedule, barring a small delay to properly address an issue with memory usage they discovered in closed alpha testing (which has been going on all throughout 2013). It says they're raising more money to gauge interest in additional features their community has asked for, which were not a part of their initial release plans. The game would be going into its beta test cycle within the next few months regardless of whether or not they got this extra money to make sure some of those added features were completed by then (as opposed to being worked on later).

News Comments > The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress
4. Re: The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress Jan 11, 2014, 15:59 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 15:02:
That doesn't look half bad, but isn't it pretty much guaranteed that any Kickstartered MMO is going to fail? How will they possibly get enough funding to pay for the servers/bandwidth etc, let alone the art/sound assets?

I notice this kickstarter was only for 50k... right. All that said, pretty interesting video, although they did keep repeating the same few video sequences over and over.

Will not contribute, will buy a lottery ticket if this game actually makes it to release.

So you're assuming it wouldn't be popular enough for them to make enough money to cover the expenses? Well for the same reason, they wouldn't need very much money to support the smaller playerbase, would they? And anyway, it doesn't look like this is one of those projects that doesn't exist in any form yet, and they're asking for the money to start from scratch, it's more of a shot in the arm thing. In fact, this is their second Kickstarter, after they raised $53k last year, and they already have $75k pledged with 15 days to go. But even before that first one last summer, they already had a prototype made that they were showing footage of. I totally missed it then, but it went on to impress a lot of people at PAX, so I'm pretty sure I'll pitch in this time around. Could be something to replace what FireFall has failed to achieve, for me.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2014, 16:11.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
3. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 11, 2014, 15:31 jacobvandy

I'd be more excited about Survarium if it actually was an MMO, but it's not. It's session-based with lobbies and whatnot. They even say in that interview that rounds last only 15 minutes to an hour.  

News Comments > On SimCity Modding
11. Re: On SimCity Modding Jan 11, 2014, 00:29 jacobvandy

Frijoles wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 21:53:
Clever Caviar wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 18:10:
I find EA's attitude towards gamers...astonishing. Truly they view any and all as just peons they can do what they wish with.

Considering people still buy their shit, they'd be right. They release broken games loaded with DLC and still people throw money at them time after time. Why would they give a fuck what the peons think?

Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 sold horribly... To the point where those franchises may now be dead, or at least under consideration to be seriously reworked. Don't know how many they've sold total, but in their first months it was 200k and 600k, respectively. Even Sim City sold better than that as a PC exclusive, and the Tomb Raider reboot was a "failure" at 1 million sold in the first 48 hours. They like to say they topped the sales charts, but really, what else came out in February last year?

Oh yeah, and then they canned FIFA Manager because nobody was buying that shit, either.

News Comments > 2K Czech Restructures
5. Re: 2K Czech Restructures Jan 10, 2014, 13:43 jacobvandy

The studio is dead, its remains scattered to the wind.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Deadly 30
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Deadly 30 Jan 9, 2014, 21:53 jacobvandy

A lot of people are drawing those kinds of conclusions and getting upset that they'd have to pay money for what they used to play for free. I have no problem with a developer of a quality Flash game getting paid. Same kind of idiotic shitstorms have been swirling about the PC release of Kingdom Rush. That one actually was a free game that is still available on some places, and has been sold for iOS and Android for $1-3, so when they come out with a rebuilt version using Unity for release on Steam at $10, it's the biggest rip-off in history. Nevermind the fact that the mobile-targeted microtransactions were removed and formerly paid-DLC integrated, and that they stopped updating the free web version with features and content years ago... People can be such twats.  

News Comments > Outrise Revealed
9. Re: Outrise Revealed Jan 9, 2014, 21:47 jacobvandy

It's probably not a coincidence that they start pushing this after Turtle Rock gets a Game Informer cover about their upcoming game that is almost exactly the same concept.  

News Comments > First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer
2. Re: First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer Jan 9, 2014, 14:08 jacobvandy

Well, now Valve can hire these guys and make Portal 3! Don't know how well the re-sizing objects to create platforms and such will mesh if you already have a portal gun, but re-sizing portals and the things that go through them seems like a natural progression. If they haven't already thought of that, I mean.  

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
11. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 8, 2014, 23:57 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 23:39:
Wait, didn't GOG go bust a couple of years ago?

Congratulations guys. Treating your customers with respect, what an innovative business model.

Good Old Games went bust, now they're just Gog.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 15:30 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:39:
Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:08:
Why would I even want to install SteamOS if its just for games?

I wonder if any of these HW offerings if they are going to have an option to have Windows Installed instead. Some of these designs are interesting and some may like to own them as a Windows variant.

It's a regular PC, with a hard drive... Of course you can install Windows.

2302 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo