Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2201 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > L4D2 Still Free For Now
7. Re: L4D2 Still Free For Now Dec 27, 2013, 06:20 jacobvandy

Yeah, and thanks to those whiny bitches heralding Valve as the new Activision milking yearly titles, they've probably taken even longer than they wanted to to release sequels. Assholes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Live-Action Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Live-Action Trailer Dec 26, 2013, 13:46 jacobvandy

Not to mention, Hyperion (Jack's company) are the ones who invented the New-U cloning/respawn system, so...  

News Comments > On Sale
46. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2013, 11:44 jacobvandy

Yeah, I'm still buying things, but definitely not $20+ for one game or add-on unless I know for sure I'll be playing it immediately. DayZ is the most expensive single item I've bought in a while.  

News Comments > New Year's Eve with Batman
5. Re: New Year's Eve with Batman Dec 24, 2013, 14:40 jacobvandy

I wouldn't be surprised to see this made an annual franchise like Assassin's Creed, COD, and Battlefield.  

News Comments > DayZ Week One Recap
14. Re: DayZ Week One Recap Dec 24, 2013, 14:18 jacobvandy

If you weren't a hardcore fan of the mod, don't bother with the standalone for a good long while. It has the potential to be a much better experience, but it's so early right now that missing features and lag are a much greater threat to enjoyment than the PVPers. Number one priority IMO should be to prevent server-hopping; what people do is find a good area to loot (usually a military base, they added a lot of small ones all over the map) and then keep bouncing around to different servers to load up on gear. It's been made even easier now than in the mod because the loot is persistent, spawned when the server starts, as opposed to triggered at a distance from players when they approach a location. The result is that everyone has tons of weaponry and with so few zombies around at the moment, they have to find something else to shoot -> it's gonna be you!

I have not encountered any hackers, though. Obviously every game this popular will draw that scumbag element, but it's definitely not near as rampant as it used to be in the mod. They've neutered the power of the client to do anything crazy like it could before (teleporting, spawning items, etc.) so it'll probably be limited to your standard fare aimbotting or maybe invincibility. But now with Steamworks they have the added benefit of VAC securing those sorts of things and the deterrent in the risk of your Steam account being impacted, as opposed to just your CD key being banned, if/when you're caught.

News Comments > Festivus Consolidation
14. Re: Festivus Consolidation Dec 24, 2013, 06:12 jacobvandy

Redmask wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 22:46:
Nintendo is in deep doodie, the 3DS can't make money as fast as the Wii U wastes it.

Actually it does, they've posted profits all year... And they have $4.4 billion in cash (among 3x that in total assets) as of the last quarter. They're fine.

News Comments > Festivus Metaverse
10. Re: Festivus Metaverse Dec 24, 2013, 04:42 jacobvandy

Yeah, I never see ads in front of internet videos. Even on network websites, when they're supposedly trying to play 5 ads throughout a 22-minute program, it just goes black for a couple seconds and continues playing the show.  

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 22:35 jacobvandy

If you have none of the DLCs, buying the Legendary edition is cheaper than getting them individually.

Also, if something was going to finally knock DayZ from #1 during this sale, it had to be Skyrim, lol.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 20:24 jacobvandy

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 19:45:
I finally got around to trying DayZ and after about 20 minutes I couldn't stand it any more (big fan of the mod though). They should rename it to DrinkZ. You can't go 5 freaking minutes without your character crying about needing a drink and continuing to bug you about it every minute or so. With a game that uses a true 24 hour clock, you would think that a character could go more than 5 minutes without needing a drink. Take a drink and not 5 minutes later, "I feel like taking a drink". I said screw this crap and quit the game. Maybe they'll wise up and fix it. And I don't care if it's early alpha, it's dumb that someone programmed it to be so frequent. It's not a bug, it's by design and needs to be changed.

You spawn hungry and thirsty (about 30% of capacity, when it starts warning you). It no longer completely satisfies your hunger or thirst when you drink one soda or eat one piece of food... You need to keep going until your stomach is full, and then you can go for a couple hours of play time without seeing any such messages. They did it this way because being well fed allows you to replenish your own blood levels and, I believe, better stave off sickness. It's not just an empty "realism" annoyance mechanic anymore.

Your problem was that you were floating around that 30% warning marker the whole time, so whenever you dipped below the threshold you'd take one drink, go back above it but just barely, and then a little while later dip below it again. I'll grant you that they need to adjust the messages to better communicate when you're just barely eating and drinking enough to not be in danger of passing out, but if you'd spend two minutes to wise up yourself, you could have learned all of what I just told you. Because it was figured out and posted everywhere less than two hours after the alpha was released.

What I do after spawning is find the nearest water well spigot, there's at least one in most towns, and then drink repeatedly from it. It takes 10 seconds and you'll never see any messages about being thirsty again if you drink the occasional soda as you find them lying around.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 16:51 jacobvandy

I trust this guy more, he didn't like War Z much but he played it a lot and says emphatically that Nether is very, very similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CIoELgaIA

If nothing else, you can get 15 minutes of gameplay footage and discussion of issues it has. Skip to the last couple minutes for a quicker wrap-up of his impressions.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 15:08 jacobvandy

That's not the mod on the Steam stats, it shows up as ARMA 2: OA, though most people don't launch it through Steam anyway. The mod, that is; the standalone game uses Steamworks.

Like they used to show stats for the mod, the official website is where they list how many unique players there are: http://www.dayzgame.com/

BTW, Nether is (apparently, so I've heard) just a re-skinned The War Z AKA Infestation: Survivor Stories. That company is just full of lazy, exploitative assholes, trying to copy-cat the copy-cats. If they're not the same people, that is. Then it's just business as usual for those crooks.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2013, 15:29.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:01 jacobvandy

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:17:
peteham wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 12:14:
Haven't bought a single game yet this sale. Figured I'd pick up Deponia yesterday, but nope, "you already own this game".. Alrighty, then! I think I may have finally done it: I've bought everything.
If I work hard and live to be a hundred, I may get around to playing about 1 in 4.
Lol, I haven't tried to re-buy a game but I know what you mean... this sale is actually really bad, DayZ has not been knocked off the top. DayZ is not that good FFS, so the sale must be that bad.

I bought CS:GO from Green Man Gaming... I don't know why

I don't know if they've been releasing updated figures on exact sales, but at least 380k people have bought DayZ so far (that's how many have played it). At $30 a pop, that's approacing $12 million in revenue... I think any other game on Steam would be hard pressed to reach that level, even during the holiday sale. Try to fathom how many copies of CS:GO would have to sell at $3.75 to beat that.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 21, 2013, 23:50 jacobvandy

I've been using the same old free Winamp for like 7 years... Once they added Flac support, there's absolutely nothing else in an update I could possibly want or need. Classic skin, enable Windows hotkeys so the four keyboard buttons work, done.  

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
19. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 20, 2013, 19:34 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 14:37:
Free trade, people, free trade! But of course not for the pariahs, the regular consumers. They can go and suck it!

Dear publisher, developers, Valve: If you do this, then this means that you actively refuse to allow me access to a game. You won't sell it to me, and now I can't even get it gifted. I have hundreds of games on Steam, but if you do this, than it is YOU who forces me into warez. Yes, YOU! You're sitting in the US and could tell OZ, German, and other governments to go and fxxk themselves, but instead you bow to those self-procalimed godfathers of morale and tell the consumers, YOUR consumers to pxxs off. And you know what? You do this, and I will do it and pxxs off. With my money. That you don't want. It's up to you, it's your choice. At least give me the chance to ask some people here and elsewhere to gift me games that you refuse to sell to me directly, but if you even refuse to do this, if you dare to stick a yellow star or whatever on me, then I'll be gone. And I WILL play those games, but without paying you, the developers, the publishers. Because you don't want to sell. Your mistake, not mine. I can solve this problem by taking all of you out of the equation. Decided wisely.

Sorry for the drama, but this pixxes me off HUGE TIME!

You are so misguided in your anger, it's bordering on comical. You don't think Steam wants your money? This isn't their decision, it's the publisher calling the shots in deciding how their product is distributed. Cross-region second-hand markets that exploit price differences are highly offensive to the people who own the properties, and should probably be illegal outright. This is just them closing that loophole. And did you ever think it might even be the politicians in your country pressuring Valve and/or the publishers to not allow the indirect sale of outlawed media? Maybe you should find a new place to live, if you're not allowed to buy what you want there... You're all about free trade, so why the hell are you living in a place that doesn't allow it? Take some time to think about what you're saying before you say it.

News Comments > Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern
11. Re: Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern Dec 20, 2013, 19:22 jacobvandy

Yeah... Warframe is nothing but instanced missions, very similar to Mass Effect 3 multiplayer except that you're the aggressor rather than the defender. The only thing they really have in common is the concept of cybernetic armor bestowing your abilities.  

News Comments > Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern
3. Re: Red 5 Removes CEO Mark Kern Dec 20, 2013, 11:57 jacobvandy

I have mixed feelings about this... I had been a huge proponent of the game since I started playing early last year, sunk about $150 of support into it since then, but I haven't touched it in six months now. They finally released a new class, but it was very unimaginative and the only reason it was fun to play for a while is it was something new. Then they came out and announced they were abandoning the idea of the huge open world, in favor of simply a lot more little instances that you teleport to... Crafting and progression were a big mess since they overhauled it, but the gameplay remained really fun. The dynamic missions were a great addition, but they seemed stuck in a rut of overthinking core mechanics and wanting to re-do them all the time rather than focusing on polish and adding more content.

Kern was a great guy, he was always on the forums talking with people, etc. But I can't say I blame them for the mutiny. They've been hemorrhaging players lately, and somebody has to take the fall. However, there's an argument to be made for him being the savior of the project when it almost fell to the wayside several years ago, and championing the virtues of avoiding pay-to-win and gating content. Him leaving could be very bad for the game. Or it could be very good. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
9. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2013, 00:27 jacobvandy

Enemy Within will almost surely have a better discount during a daily and/or flash sale. What you see now is its somewhat less impressive 'throughout the event' price. Standard wait and see, monitor your wishlist to see if/when things go on daily deals protocol applies. If not, and you still want it, then buy it on the last day. Still two more weeks to see and bitch about, guys!  

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
15. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 22:39 jacobvandy

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:35:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:32:
My decision to buy or not buy will depend on more clarification of exactly what new features will or will not be a part of the free patch versus what requires purchasing the expansion. To be fair, though, we already know that it's a good deal more than just "one class and one act" for that $40.

If the PTR is accurate, then the new loot system and balancing are primarily what you get if you don't upgrade. Adventure mode, loot runs, the new act, the new class, the new crafter, and all of that are exclusive to the expansion. The new loot system is great though: when something drops it's a source of excitement rather than a drudge.

Yeah, I've read some player impressions. The problem is that there is no recent official statement, and some of what is being said conflicts with what they said in the past. Can't tell whether what they're seeing now on the PTR is exactly what the patch will be, or if they were only looking for feedback on the new loot and nothing else.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
11. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 22:32 jacobvandy

You don't have to buy the expansion to get the new loot system. BUT, you will have to buy the expansion to unlock the new crafting vendor, and her functions in adding or re-rolling stats on items is an integral part of the balance of the new loot system...

My decision to buy or not buy will depend on more clarification of exactly what new features will or will not be a part of the free patch versus what requires purchasing the expansion. To be fair, though, we already know that it's a good deal more than just "one class and one act" for that $40.

News Comments > DayZ Character Wipes
6. Re: DayZ Character Wipes Dec 19, 2013, 18:43 jacobvandy

A buddy and I were playing nice yesterday, teamed up with some other players we came across randomly. There's obviously an uneasiness on both sides, especially when guns are involved, but we got along for half an hour or so running around and looting. Made our way to Zelenogorsk, and we had just finished looting the new miitaru barracks there and the grocery store. Found a water well and decided to drink and fill our bottles... I guess the one guy still with us saw an opportunity with our guards down (weapons unequipped) and crouched right next to each other, and POW POW POW blew us away, lol.

On the bright side, bullet trauma often ruins most of what otherwise would be lootable on a person, so I doubt he got away with much. But that kind of betrayal from a guy who was literally 30 seconds before chatting away with us... It's the kind of thing that turns you to the shoot first, ask no questions mentality.

2201 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo