Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2013, 20:29 jacobvandy

So they ported from the last-gen console version instead of next-gen? I suppose the money they saved in doing so will hedge their losses if/when sales suffer.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
6. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 16:43 jacobvandy

Edit: nevermind, the standalone module is specifically for that one ASUS screen.

That's a good point about Mantle, though... Maybe it'd be best to wait and see what games come out supporting that, to see if the advantage is enough to make AMD cards more attractive.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 16:50.

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
1. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 16:27 jacobvandy

Sounds good to me! I've always tolerated screen tearing in games with any sort of directly-controlled action because the lag caused by v-sync is a much larger problem. But if I can have the smoother picture without that, why not? I think I'm due for a new monitor before anything else (been on the same 26" 19x12 LCD for going on 7 years), so hopefully this tech is not too expensive.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 14:50 jacobvandy

Well, I guess if there's one premium that might actually go down instead of up with Obamacare, it'd be the one for your pet(s). Adding new mandatory taxes has a tendency to make people want to spend less on other, less important things, so pet insurers will probably need to adjust accordingly.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Character Creation Trailer
7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Character Creation Trailer Oct 18, 2013, 09:17 jacobvandy

Yeah, but you have issues if simply breathing at rest causes your arms to swing back and forth... It does look worse here though because they sped up the video.  

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
39. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 17, 2013, 19:45 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 16:43:
InBlack wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 10:47:
I remember the first time I was able to jump in a FPS game. I think it was Dark Forces. It was fucking amazing. Almost as cool as being able to look up and down. That was back in (checks wikipedia) 1995....

Fuck. Now I want to play Dark Forces....man that was a great game...

Eh it was ok, I think it being the first FPS in the ST universe made it more then it was... Now Outcast\Academy were sweet games, the whole FPS with jedi powers and lightsabers was done perfectly in those titles... damn I wish they would do another one like those.

Best part: putting in the console command to turn on dismemberment. You know, like should be happening when you put a lightsaber through... anything.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 23:52 jacobvandy

$99 for an Apple product? Those things counterfeit or what?  

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 37 More Games
3. Re: Steam Greenlights 37 More Games Oct 16, 2013, 20:10 jacobvandy

Black Mesa was greenlit more than a year ago, lol, it was in the very first batch of 10. There's no helping the fact that they just can't seem to get it done. The strangest part is they already released a lot of it, just not on Steam. I guess they're waiting until it's 100% finished, but we might have Half-Life 3 before then...  

News Comments > Borderlands 2: TK Baha's Bloody Harvest Next Week
4. Re: Borderlands 2: TK Baha's Bloody Harvest Next Week Oct 16, 2013, 18:51 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 13:38:
You know, when people said they wanted more DLC, I'm not sure this is what they had in mind...

I've also stopped with the daily kill challenge, as all they're doing is just sending you by every single boss in the game. Bosses that I've already killed 800 times before, and really have no desire to kill again for a mediocre orange drop.

Yes, I hope millions of other people feel the same, so I have a better chance of winning an actual prize. :p

News Comments > Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack
5. Re: Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack Oct 16, 2013, 14:23 jacobvandy

Well yes, the Earth map is already randomized, with the only constants being the shape and layout of the continents. This pack is a bunch of "zoomed in" real-world locations with more accuracy as to the form of the landmass. Granted, there's not much reason to buy map packs with all the free custom ones out there, but this really isn't much different from the other map DLCs they've put out previously.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 16, 2013, 01:37 jacobvandy

I gotta think they have a lot more than 50 people working on that, so it's more like 1-3 months. But still, it's a bizarre choice for a "fun fact" you use to promote your game.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014
20. Re: Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014 Oct 15, 2013, 16:33 jacobvandy

Yeah, they wait until the last minute (few weeks out) to announce the delay so their existing marketing campaign doesn't go completely to waste... Just keep on raking in the pre-orders on false pretenses, knowing most people won't cancel.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 15, 2013, 13:45 jacobvandy

They're all modern games on the list because Conan really can't and won't spend a bunch of time trying to get into a game, plus if it looks like shit, that's all he'd talk about. Amnesia is the best candidate here, IMO. Slender would be #2, but it relies too much on cheap startling tactics to have any effect on someone not playing by themselves, at night, in the dark, etc.

I'm not at all impressed by the trailers for Outlast. I remember seeing the longer gameplay one like a year ago, and it was predictable and boring as fuck. Though I imagine playing the game itself must be a whole lot better to merit all the hype around it lately?

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
53. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 13:37 jacobvandy

avianflu wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 09:23:
Some good points jacob, but from Steam's POV why bother with the potential legal hassle of an app that plays game ROMS -- that are still the legal property of game companies? There is nothing in it for Steam, but hassle.

i.e. SEGA sells emulations of their own games on Steam so they wouldnt be thrilled with Steam selling an indie gamer emulator.

Lol, it's time for you to RTFA, friend. It's not being sold on Steam, it's not even an app that you use to play ROMs. It's a batch of simple commands to streamline the process of adding these games to your own personal, local library.

News Comments > WARFACE Goes Live Next Week
6. Re: WARFACE Goes Live Next Week Oct 15, 2013, 13:19 jacobvandy

FREEFACE  

News Comments > AR/VR Headset Kickstarter
6. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 00:13 jacobvandy

Because it's a gimmick? At least as far as its application for gaming. The best use I can think of for this kind of thing at the moment is to visualize effects for a physical board or card game, like D&D. Crank up the nerd factor by about 37 points with everyone sitting around a grid-ruled posterboard with these contraptions on their face, lol.

If you took it as far as playing an actual interactive game, controlling a character or units, etc. on your desk or living room floor or whatever, you'd get bored as soon as the novelty wore off because our homes do not ordinarily make for good level design... You'd have to be projecting little backgrounds and layouts, too, and at that point, why not just play a real game with normal 3D glasses?

Whatever image is coming out of these miniature projectors will most certainly look like crap, to boot. I don't doubt it'll require certain surfaces and lighting conditions, etc. for the best experience. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me. Completely unappealing compared to something like the Oculus Rift or even Omni treadmill.

48. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 14:08 jacobvandy

avianflu wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 13:43:
i seriously doubt the Steam execs will allow it for long.

Allow what? Adding non-Steam games or applications to your library as simple shortcuts? Because if you disallow this, you have to disallow it all. The reason they allowed that in the first place is to increase the amount of time people stay logged in to Steam and with the overlay running, thereby increasing their usage of Steam features. What possible reason could they have for going back on that? What is their liability? How would you even know that people are truly even playing what it says they are, since you can name shortcuts anything? (I've seen people troll their friends with "Now Playing Grand Theft Auto V" or whatever other yet-unreleased title they want.)

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2013, 14:14.

31. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 21:26 jacobvandy

What does their opinion have to do with the law? And why are you omitting parts of the text anyway? They state themselves that their classification of game copying devices is based upon their potential usage, including distributing copies of the game:

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

And for the downloading of ROMs, they specifically mention the exception of archival copying:

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

If you own an N64 game cartridge and play it enough, eventually it's going to wear out; either the contacts are going to degrade to the point where it can't make a connection with the console, or the battery dies and prevents saving any data, etc. It only makes sense to back it up before that happens so you can keep playing.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2013, 21:38.

29. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 21:17 jacobvandy

Actually, Ice is only downloading and installing a set of emulators from a third-party site, at your behest. Ice is nothing but a batch of commands that does something you might be to lazy to do yourself.

And despite how often it's brought up, I don't think anyone here has argued that downloading ROMs is legal... What's legal is backing up the ROMs yourself.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 13, 2013, 18:06 jacobvandy

So you want a big fat mutant of a console with both PS3 and PS4 innards stuffed in there (not to mention a mark-up of ~50%)? Because that's what it would take to include backward-compatibility this time. Of all the gaps between generations, the one where they go x86 is making that feature particularly infeasible...  

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo