Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2204 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 16:08 jacobvandy

I didn't touch anything EA put out in 2013... Hell even in '12, it was just ME3 and then Most Wanted (haven't played that much at all outside a couple short MP sessions, damned peer pressure). That's a rather somber thing to be able to say about one of the "big three" publishers.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
79. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 15:48 jacobvandy

I'm fairly sure they don't give a shit about expired snow globes at the moment... I know I wouldn't. I don't know why you would, either? I've got tons of crap cluttering my inventory, including coupons I didn't ask for and can't just get rid of, but it's not the end of the world.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 15:53.

68. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 06:08 jacobvandy

Luke wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 05:55:
And to think with a cd/dvd and no stupid online shit one could play his/her game with no problem...hmmm Clown

Games were not impacted at all. You can still get to your library, and even download things because the content servers are completely separate from the other stuff (not to mention redundant dozens of times over). Was even playing Payday 2, an online Steamworks game, with some buddies Thursday night.

48. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 19:08 jacobvandy

There should be a pair of orange vans filled with crowbar-wielding "independent contractors" heading over to meet those chuckle-heads tonight.  

News Comments > On Sale (1)
27. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 14:40 jacobvandy

Well, there are actually bots you can play with, they're just really awful.  

News Comments > On Sale (1)
23. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 14:13 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:07:
That sucks, for a lot of people. Personally I don't care, as I've been selling them as I get them. Odd that they changed it, but I suppose they want to be able to reuse them next year, whereas there is no point in reusing the Summer Sale cards.

It's pretty simple, actually. The summer sale cards were completely worthless after 3 days because tens of thousands of them flooded the market. This time around, they retained much more value for much longer (they were .80-1.00 the first day and a half) until finally settling at a price 3-4x higher (.16-.20) by the end of the promotion, which has meant exponentially more money for Valve and the participating game-makers from market fees. This was the result of:

a) the holiday sale badge being endlessly craftable, so a lot of people did it more than 5 times (max for summer sale badge) and the upper 1% of crazies did it dozens or even hundreds of times just for funsies

b) crafting the badge gave you a limited edition in-game item for a free-to-play game such as DOTA 2 or TF2, some of which were exceedingly rare and worth anywhere from $50-$500+ (more lucrative fees excepting the very rarest of things that were traded off-Steam for probably $1000s each via PayPal), giving people more reason to craft the badge many more times

c) of course the cards disappearing at the end of the sale; there are still tens of thousands of each summer sale card on the market and immeasurable additional ones clogging up inventories everywhere because they're worth only a penny (3 cents is minimum market price, including 1 cent Valve fee and 1 cent developer fee)

So they're geniuses, basically. Artificial scarcity combined with drastically increased demand meant they probably made more profit from the trading cards than the actual game sales...

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
32. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 13:57 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:09:
Steam has the right to remove a game from your library at any time, it's stated in the terms. we're only renting out games. it's been discussed in Blue's News comments sections on many occasions.

And you honestly believe they would exercise that right for no good reason? Every business everywhere "reserves the right" to do something like that, but they almost never do. Because they never need to under normal circumstances, and if they ever abused it they would catch too much shit.

You're entitled to your own opinion and the manner in which you choose how to spend your own money, but surely you understand how paranoid and irrational you come off?

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
28. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 21:47 jacobvandy

javajeff wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 20:48:
Steam is DRM. This means your account is locked to all your games at once. Two of your games cannot be running at the same time. With retail games, you can install each game on a different computer. The only way to do this with steam is to have a different Steam account for each game. Now this can change if that game sharing feature is enabled.

I've had a dozen games running at the same time... Not that anyone would really need to do that (I was seeing how many games would drop trading cards simultaneously), but it's possible. Not to mention, if you really wanted to, offline mode will accomplish what you want to do, even running the same game on two computers at the same time. I've done that, too, running benchmarks in Crysis or whatever on test systems.

Retail games still have DRM, with about the same amount of leniency as Steam offline mode. Both ways to install and play your games on multiple computers are equally against the terms of your license, BTW. Physical media doesn't preclude a ToS for a non-transferrable software license from applying to you. So you're just against someone actually enforcing it.

News Comments > GOG.com on DRM and Money-Back Guarantees
11. Re: GOG.com on DRM and Money-Back Guarantees Jan 1, 2014, 18:14 jacobvandy

wtf_man wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 17:04:
Another great example comes from our recent launch of our 30-day, money-back guarantee where, if a game bought on GOG.com ends up not working despite what we can do to help you, we'll refund you your money.

That's a great step in the right direction.

I'd like to see like a 1 hour demo of games... like Gaikai or similar service before you buy the game. Doing that on Gaikai actually got me to buy Saints Row the 3rd (I wasn't familiar with the franchise at the time... and swinging purple dildos, from screenshots in reviews, didn't exactly grab me).

That said, I have bought several games and found out I didn't like them... usually it had to do with controls or perspectives I just can't get used to. I try to do my homework before a game purchase, but sometimes I fuck up and impulse buy on a sale. Granted I didn't lose much money... but if I figure out within the first bit of the game that I don't like it... I'd rather not have wasted any cash on it at all.

This goes for all digital outlets... not just GOG.

Green Man Gaming used to base themselves on being able to sell back your games if you didn't want them anymore, like Gamestop for digital. But then they started selling Steamworks games cheaper than Steam with their vouchers and whatnot and exploded in popularity. Now there are very few games they sell that can actually be re-sold, because most of what they sell are Steam keys and of course they can't take those back once you've redeemed them. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is working on a streaming demo system, though.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
16. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 17:00 jacobvandy

Shhh, don't ruin this chance for everyone to jump to conclusions and hate on Steam some more!  

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
19. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Jan 1, 2014, 01:13 jacobvandy

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is probably just the PC version, but with that "new and improved" Lara face texture.  

News Comments > On Sale
23. Re: On Sale Jan 1, 2014, 01:10 jacobvandy

That sounds like a PITA, something you'd read on a forum somewhere from someone who randomly figured out one day that the accounts are connected. A tech support agent should have the power to actually fix your problem, not tell you to do some obscure work-around.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2013, 17:27 jacobvandy

Yeah, I don't know if that's a limitation of their current bundle system (like all they have is that choose-your-own thing) or if it's a deliberate strategy. You get zero discount if you take just one little game out of one of those packages.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2013, 16:41 jacobvandy

It's been a couple months since they went to beta and lowered the price to $60 (which is more than KS backers paid for the same access anyway), and they created a new Commander for the holidays that backers get for free, so I don't think anyone cares. I even went to check the PA forums and didn't see a single thread about the sale. Such a stark contrast to see people actually talking about the game, compared to the Steam forum being 95% full of people bitching about the price, in spite of the discount. "WTF only 33% off, is this an Activision game LAWL!"

On a somewhat related note, Grim Dawn alpha access was opened up to all backers for Christmas, even for people like me who only put in $18 for the base tier. It's pretty good already, and Act II is coming next month.

News Comments > Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record
53. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Dec 30, 2013, 22:02 jacobvandy

He's not pro-DRM, dingus, he listed it as a con. You're just excessively anti-, to the point of not seeing any logic in a trade-off.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 06:24 jacobvandy

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 21:11:
Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:26:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of those stats. 20m in sales overall feels right, as does $1.2 in total revenue, but only 1.5m in sales on the PC doesn't, given that it has been among the top Steam titles consistently for two years on a weekly basis. That would suggest Steam is doing a lot less business than I thought it was.

Unless those 1.5 million PC players are all doing nothing except downloading every single mod ever made from the nexus, there have to be a LOT more people to be affecting the nexus sites so much. Skyrim has basically forced them to invest $300K (and counting) into new hardware because the Skyrim site alone is murdering their entire infrastructure.

Also, for Steam to make 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and for Skyrim to be in the top 10 consistently for nearly two years, means a lot more people likely bought it than 90 million dollars' worth.

All in all, I'm going to say that the linked site pulled those numbers completely out of their ass in a desperate attempt to not have to admit that Skyrim on the PC outsold the console versions by a wide margin.

At the top of the article it states the source.

Statistic Verification
Source: Bethesda Game Studios, Steam, Zenimax
Research Date: 12.19.2013

Those aren't sources. Try to list the names of a couple authors and a newspaper as sources in a high school research paper and you'll get an F. But regardless, I bet all they did was find a few total sales figures from press releases and extrapolated to this month, and then got the concurrent users number from Steam (probably the only number on there that's real). Everything else was completely made up, especially the revenue and platform breakdown.

News Comments > Hello Games Flood Follow-up
20. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 18:33 jacobvandy

I'd have to agree, it's a lot of hot air behind them at the moment, provided by getting their teaser aired on cable TV during video gaming's only award show (so it's followed and reported on by everyone).  

News Comments > Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials
9. Re: Alan Wake Free Bonus Materials Dec 29, 2013, 17:01 jacobvandy

They didn't just do this, it's pretty much the bonus materials from GOG made available on Steam after some exclusivity period or whatever.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 16:24 jacobvandy

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:39:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 10:20:
WOOOHOOO!!! GO SKYRIM!

Can't beat that price. Best item no the sale all year.

The legs on Skyrim has been literally inconceivable (that word...). I would love to see the monthly sales numbers for that game since launch. I am so curious how many millions of copies they have sold.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here ya go. According to this they have sold over 20 million units, but only 14% of that has been on PC.

Not accurate at all. At best it represents retail only, when there have most certainly been millions sold on Steam. And Valve doesn't release those figures.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2013, 16:20 jacobvandy

Trine 2 for $2 is really good. Thought it was an error until I realized it's been more than 3 hours since it's been up like that.  

2204 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo