Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2370 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2014, 11:39 jacobvandy

C'mon, Blue, those beans were going to be a) ground up and b) doused in boiling water anyway, so provided there was no nasty mess on the floor to ruin the flavor, it would have been fine to drink that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
10. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 11:48 jacobvandy

You're right about it not being much trouble to release for XP if you already support last-gen consoles, but XP being called a "huge install base" is laughable. It's 6% of PC gamers according to Steam.  

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 13:45 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 13:29:
They offer the Crusader in the character select which is surprising considering the expansion doesn't land til the 25th, seems almost a bit misleading to have an "Upgrade" option sitting there in place of the ok button. Just in case anyone else thought if they upgraded now they could play one, you can't

Yeah, that's messed up, lol. I fired up the game after having pre-ordered RoS, patching up and upgrading to the B.net launcher... Saw the Crusader there and got excited for a second, but nope. That along with already seeing all the other options and skills that will be activated by the expansion in three weeks, it's just a little cruel.

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
30. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:27 jacobvandy

BitWraith wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 10:54:
The interesting part of this announcement is how much further behind it's going to put the new console generation graphically.

Are you sure about that? I guess we'd need to know more about the GPUs inside the consoles, but for example, Mantle supports AMD chips as old as the HD 7000 series, which existed in 2011, with a simple driver update. That's because of their Nintendo GameCube architecture that is shared across all of their products since then. Provided this isn't an overnight development, as I doubt it is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone and PS4 can receive DX12 support via some extensive firmware update. And if they can't, there's nothing stopping them from releasing a refresh in a couple of years with new GPUs. It wouldn't be the first time a console had some segregation in hardware requirements between games.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 5, 2014, 21:35 jacobvandy

No. A follow-up would be she got hired someplace else, or announced she's writing a tell-all book, something.

That tweet, is literally nothing. The very definition of un-newsworthy.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 5, 2014, 18:30 jacobvandy

I am baffled by what passes as "news" these days. A tweet confirming the pope successfully moved his bowels this morning would be more interesting.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 18:25 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:16:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:12:
"A high-protein diet during middle age makes you nearly twice as likely to die"

Great opening line there, "highly-lauded science journal." I stopped reading immediately. Rolleyes

It's an interesting article. The problem with studying high meat, low-meat, and vegetarian diets in modern times is that health conscious people typically take on other healthy habits like doing more exercise, avoiding drugs and alcohol, eating more whole and organic foods, etc. so it's difficult to suss out what benefits are high-protein (meat) related vs. related to the myriad of other habits such people have. By studying ancient people, there was no heath movement back then, so it's easier to do an apples to apples comparison.

My point was more toward that statement making no sense when everybody is 100% likely to die to begin with. How do you not proof-read the first sentence?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:12 jacobvandy

"A high-protein diet during middle age makes you nearly twice as likely to die"

Great opening line there, "highly-lauded science journal." I stopped reading immediately. Rolleyes

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 20:20 jacobvandy

That's what the whole discussion is about though... Buy-to-play games' prices going down, somehow caused by the ability for developers to choose their own price. Regardless, I vehemently disagree that PC gamers would ever put up with a fraction of the mobile market-type bullshit antics you imply they might. Not on Steam, anyway. Windows app store, maybe, but not Steam.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 19:46 jacobvandy

I would venture to guess that Valve has a bare minimum price point at which any dev conducting a sale in that manner is allowed to charge, whereby the entirety will go to Valve. 25 cents or 50 cents or a dollar, whatever. So technically they could give it away for free, but the price will not be zero. So even if hell freezes over and the games become insanely cheap across the board (moreso than they already periodically are), they can still prevent abuse and/or keep the lights on.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 16:30 jacobvandy

GMG has been handing out coupons for this game like candy the past few months, so if you paid more than $45 you ought to kick yourself. I just spent 90 minutes doing the tutorial section and exploring, and loved it.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 4, 2014, 16:27 jacobvandy

Barely started playing Stick of Truth, but I'm loving it so far. As a fan of the show, even exploring the first tutorial area was great to see how closely general gameplay resembles the show and all the SP personality and gags they've crammed in to the environment and menus. Combat is pretty fun, too.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2014, 14:10 jacobvandy

Wizard being the best at farming bar-none is a balance issue, not a loot system issue.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2014, 13:25 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 10:15:
I've been loving loot 2.0 but been absolutely hating the Bind on Account system Blizzard have decided to approach to regulate the loot and trade system.

Loot 2.0 means when I play my Wizard, all those sweet, upgraded legendary items which Blizzard has been giving out handjobs about will spawn with Intelligence as their primary role regardless of the item that drops. Now, while the stats it will role are great for that class, it pretty much makes grinding loot for your Barbarian while on your Wizard useless. On top of that, if you solo play, you're stuck with the item and all you can do is shard it if it's not up to snuff which you currently wear. This is with nearly all legendary items, regardless of level. I crafted a level 52 Fist Weapon and it was account bound.

I have a lot more fiery brimstone since starting again.

I'd say throwing in a bind on account system to replace the auction house is only a minor gain on going back to a bartering system especially when rare items seem to be less than ideal compared to bound legendary items.

Well, that's kind of the point... You shouldn't have to grind and grind on a high-level, already geared character in order to get useful items for your alt(s). That's a big part of what was broken about the system before, and drove people to the AH.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 00:12 jacobvandy

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 21:51:
Everytime I see someone parrot "consolitis" I want to punch a kitten. It makes no sense at all. -itis means inflammation, so what exactly does consolitis mean? Inflammation of the console? Is the console swollen? Sensitive to touch? Is it displaying any signs of pain?

That may be the technical/medical definition, but the rest of civilization has been using it to mean simply 'disease' for eons. The specific alternate definition of using it to denote imaginary afflictions can be found in any dictionary you read. Consolitis specifically is a widely-used term these days, so you really have no say in the matter. You saying that is basically like someone saying that every time they see someone write 'everytime' without a space makes them want to fly off the handle. Chill out, meng...

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
15. Re: NSA head floats idea: What if we only gathered terrorist communications? Mar 2, 2014, 00:30 jacobvandy

The official definition of 'terrorist' is so loose that it could be applied to anybody, so... They already do that.  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Mar 1, 2014, 18:31 jacobvandy

Losing your gear is the point of the game, actually. When you're all kitted out is when you get bored and decide to do stupid stuff. Starting over re-invigorates the entire experience. It's actually quite rogue-like.

This is aside from the fact that you are probably just really unfortunate in terms of being affected by bugs or other database mishaps. I've never had my stuff disappear randomly, only once when they wiped everything purposely.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
17. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 17:59 jacobvandy

Caladell wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 17:46:
LarryLaffer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:42:
I personally will find this extremely useful. I have four children who all have different games on their four different accounts on our main computer. Now if I feel like it I can play their games, which I couldn't before. How people see this is not being useful is beyond me.

--Laffman

You could have before, just by logging into their accounts on your computer.
Which is what my son is doing now. We got him a worms game on my wife's account, because his computer couldn't run it. Now, she got a new computer, so he got hers. When he wants to play that game, he just logs into her account.
The only benefit I see is having separate saves/achievements. Kinda hit or miss whether games have profiles/save slots built it. So for those that don't, the sharing is kinda cool. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Family sharing doesn't require logging in as another person. That's the point. All these millions of dollars and years of events targeting building the Steam Community, Valve certainly doesn't want you to have to do that. You maintaining your online presence is almost as important to them as buying and playing games. Plus it's just all-around easier for the user. You don't have to give little Johnny unfettered access to your account to let him play a few games you have that would be appropriate for him. I hope you don't have credit card info saved on your wife's account...

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2014, 17:53 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 15:07:
Tracking you on a cell is useless because you can disable GPS and location caching. And a phone is usually in a pocket or on a table so the camera and mic don't do you much good. Point being is everyone needs a phone anyway, no one needs a Spybox. And between the Spybox and the PS4 the safer choice is blatantly obvious. This sounds like a paid puff piece to defend MS.

Ticking the checkbox to disable GPS on your phone does not actually disable the GPS. It just stops it being used for certain frivolous features like maps showing your exact location as you move, etc. It's a power saving setting, nothing more. The data is still available, and still used by some apps, but even if it weren't, cell tower triangulation is accurate enough to track your location down to less than a square mile.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
12. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:41 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:28:
Precisely, which is why it is just about the most useless feature Steam has ever rolled out. I don't need something like this to share a game with my kid because I can just log into my account and let him play any game I have with no bullshit "cannot be shared" issues. There are zero technical reasons I shouldn't be able to play a game while sharing out my library and allowing a friend on an entirely different machine to play an entirely different game simultaneously. Its no different than me coughing up the discs of a game I'm no longer playing so that he can have a run at it like we all did in the old days. Or does no one remember the days when we had that much control over our games?

That "control" was technically illegal... Remember all the DRM solutions that involved limiting activations? You were never authorized to transfer the software license (you never owned the software itself) to another person, so they were coming up with ways to limit that behavior in a manner that wouldn't piss off people too much. Now with digital distribution and subscription accounts, they can prevent it entirely. The "good old days" of copying floppies and passing around CDs is gone, get over it.

2370 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo