Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2813 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Celebrates Patch With Buffs
1. Re: Diablo III Celebrates Patch With Buffs Jan 14, 2015, 19:13 jacobvandy

I found some kind of super loot goblin just a little while ago, which dropped 5 legendaries along with 2-3x the normal gold/gear/gems... I sure wish the double spawn thing was already in effect!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evolve 4th Monster; DLC; Season Pass Details
18. Re: Evolve 4th Monster; DLC; Season Pass Details Jan 13, 2015, 17:39 jacobvandy

Sounds like 2K is banking HARD on the hype behind the "next big MP experience from creators of Left 4 Dead."

I never was terribly interested, and all they're doing with each announcement like this is turning me off further. I'm practically inverted by this point.

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Announced
3. Re: Medieval Engineers Announced Jan 13, 2015, 13:33 jacobvandy

Will W wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 12:13:
I wonder how the Miner Wars MMO that many folks pre-orederd is coming.

Yeah... I'm not interested in giving these bastards any more money.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 13, 2015, 00:50 jacobvandy

Yeah, that was surprising. Disappointed it's only three songs, though, one from each of those bands. I figured if they were gonna make a comeback, it'd be some big blow-out.  

News Comments > Steam Trades Trade CAPTCHAs
1. Re: Steam Trades Trade CAPTCHAs Jan 11, 2015, 11:18 jacobvandy

There's not much point to the check-box version... You still have to type letters in at least half the time.  

News Comments > GOG.com Removes Installer Passwords
8. Re: GOG.com Removes Installer Passwords Jan 8, 2015, 15:53 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:36:
I'm confused. Why exactly did they put these passwords in to begin with? How is putting a password into something HELPING a Luddite (apparently we call them "less tech-savvy" now...) install a game?

The user never had anything to do with the password. The archives were "protected" so you couldn't simply extract them directly. The installer would unlock them and put everything where it needed to go automatically. Said games probably don't work without registry keys, etc. in place, so they did it to eliminate some user error and save themselves some support hassle.

Lol, triple ninja'd...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 20:52 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 15:36:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 15:02:
They're approaching 3 million copies sold, as per their website:

Right, so all those times on Steam's top 10, a healthy 3 million. But there are still many more people than not on the sidelines still, me included. It seems it could be on the list all year and be talking about 4 million sold next year.

They just celebrated their one-year anniversary of standalone release on Steam EA, so probably more than 4 million by this time next year. :p

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Teaser?
5. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Teaser? Jan 4, 2015, 15:29 jacobvandy

It's not like he's creating a new engine or even very many more assets. It's really just some different configurations. Each game is only one scenario with multiple different things that can happen.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 15:02 jacobvandy

They're approaching 3 million copies sold, as per their website:

http://www.dayz.com/

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
13. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated] Jan 3, 2015, 15:14 jacobvandy

Steam doesn't give a fuck whether people are playing games or not, and rightly so. They want people logged on and being part of the greater community. That's 8.5 million people who can at any time be talking to each other, browsing the store, posting on forums, sharing pictures and videos, buying/selling/trading virtual items, etc. That is the value of their service that keeps it growing and ahead of the competition.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 1, 2015, 12:29 jacobvandy

JayDeath wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 11:41:
I never understood all the hate for AvP 2010. I had a lot of fun with the campaigns and it's still is one of the prettiest games out there.

I remember reviewing it when it came out, having been somewhat familiar with the original but not really a huge fan of the franchise or anything. Solid game, not amazing, and just a bit short. But that wasn't enough for a lot of people who held some really high expectations, and so then when the multiplayer never took off on top of that, it fell to the wayside pretty quickly.

News Comments > Diablo III Season One End Nears
2. Re: Diablo III Season One End Nears Dec 30, 2014, 19:36 jacobvandy

Yeah... It's frankly been going on way too long, for my taste. That's going to make five months total!  

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
21. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 12:56 jacobvandy

The funny thing is, it's probably gonna end up being a pretty shitty game. As in, not very entertaining. But all this "controversy" is making a lot of people throw money at their screen, when they otherwise would never have known it existed. Good job, everyone!  

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
3. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 12:27 jacobvandy

It is a non-issue for most people. A hard-coded password generated by the installer, which the user does not interact with at all, is hardly DRM. Here is a more pertinent response to that from GOG staff:

The Installer is designed mostly for reliability and ease of use for any user. And it's intentionally designed as it is.

Mind you - if you are using the supported installation mode, you don't have to enter the password anywhere. Nor is it in any way dependent on username, or hardware, or anything else. It's more or less hardcoded into the installer (I see you guys already figured out how), as much as the decompression algorithm. You can still use the installer exactly as you could since the beginning of GOG, and install your games wherever, whenever, and however many times you want. It doesn't detect where was it downloaded from either. That hasn't changed at all.

News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
5. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 29, 2014, 22:28 jacobvandy

The game is not running *on* the oscilloscope. It's reading an audio stream with specially-crafted frequencies that create those shapes on the screen. The game is actually being played on a laptop, generating the data-laden audio in real-time, which is then fed to the oscilloscope as a [poorly] mirrored display. That's why he's able to provide a demo you can view on your own 'scope, an audio file you download and pipe into it.

I'm pretty sure there are graphing calculator versions of Doom, Quake, etc. already out there, though. :p

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 29, 2014, 15:41 jacobvandy

I can't say I really like Netflix turning into their own production company, as I'd rather they invest more in licensing more and better stuff for longer terms... But then I also can't blame them for investing in themselves, creating content that is probably cheaper than licensing blockbusters, yet still drives a bunch of subs and won't expire.

I'm curious how their own talk show will work, though.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2014, 18:19 jacobvandy

Yeah... This nonsense about "separate services" still being tied to cable providers needs to end already. I went to look up that new FX app, which offers every episode of the Simpsons for "free" streaming, but it requires you have cable service that includes the actual FX channel(s). And I'm sure they still show you ads during the stream. Not surprised at all so many people pirate TV shows these days.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Hackers Just Released a Huge Cache of Passwords and Credit Card Information. Dec 28, 2014, 18:15 jacobvandy

No, they didn't. It's an attention-grabbing hoax by some idiots, not a new breach. They got all of that info from previous smaller leaks that are up to several years old, aggregating it from documents that are publicly available if you know where to look. Amazon and Microsoft have already issued statements denying any recent attacks.  

News Comments > Boxing Day Legal Briefs
1. Re: Boxing Day Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2014, 12:51 jacobvandy

That's what happens when you release digital alongside theaters.  

News Comments > Diablo III Experience Bonus
8. Re: Diablo III Experience Bonus Dec 26, 2014, 00:13 jacobvandy

I'll disagree with you there. You get 5-10 legs per hour, at least, so unless you're really re-rolling stats like crazy trying to perfect a lot of jewelry, you're gonna have tons of souls piling up on an end-game character. I pick up whites and blues now, since they're the limiter for crafting or rolling stats, respectively. Yellow mats are thrown at you like crazy in drops and rewards now, so I don't even bother with those items.  

2813 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo