Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2301 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 2, 2014, 17:21 jacobvandy

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:32:
DayZ are you sure? Rust has been on the top every time I have looked (every day)... how strange.

The top sellers list shown on the Steam front page is not the same as the weekly. It has some different, unknown criteria as to what exactly determines the rankings. Like if it is based on hourly sales, it's possible DayZ had some large bursts of sales that put it #1 on that list for short periods of time sporadically, but were enough to put it over the top overall, as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies
5. Re: Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies Feb 1, 2014, 03:13 jacobvandy

"We're not broke" is spin. Obviously they are, or they wouldn't need reorganization. That simple enough for you to understand?  

3. Re: Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies Feb 1, 2014, 02:56 jacobvandy

Let's not split hairs here, if they're broke, they're broke. Chapter 11 is still bankruptcy. If they're capable of so easily transitioning into a smaller but still functional company, why does their government need to get involved in that? Just sounds like PR spin to me.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 1, 2014, 00:15 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:05:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:03:
Blue, Quinto is starring in the movie, but the Hitman role is being played by Rupert Friend, from Homeland.

I liked Olyphant, too bad they didn't keep him on. He's such a badass.

But he looked terrible, and weird, without hair.
Plus I liked his character less than someone more proper.
Lastly, Hitman not being a success led his career to Justified, so it all works out as far as I'm concerned, haha.

Article says the last Hitman movie made $99 million on a budget of $24, so it actually did pretty good.

1. Re: Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies Jan 31, 2014, 20:31 jacobvandy

Tomato, tomato...  

News Comments > John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk
12. Re: John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk Jan 31, 2014, 18:17 jacobvandy

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 13:57:
Frankly I don't see the point to QuakeCon. There are no new Quake games, Quake Live recently had Mac and Linux support dropped, and Carmack isn't even with id anymore.

What is the point?

They still have Quake tournaments. It's a LAN party, not your usual ____Con. It wasn't until recently (probably when Bethesda bought them up, actually) that it started turning into a publisher-specific marketing bash.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2014 in July
8. Re: QuakeCon 2014 in July Jan 31, 2014, 00:10 jacobvandy

His lectures might be one of the more interesting things to do there, but it's hardly the only thing. Most people are there just to be there, to get together with people from all over the country in the LAN atmosphere. Everything else is just fluff.  

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Video
5. Re: Dark Souls 2 Video Jan 31, 2014, 00:07 jacobvandy

They announced today that you can and will be invaded, even while in the hollow/undead state. So if you wanna be a pussy, you have to be completely offline!  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison
23. Re: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison Jan 30, 2014, 20:20 jacobvandy

The new face might be alright if they bothered animating it. As it is, it's like putting a high-res mod on a Morrowind NPC. Stone-faced and emotion-less.  

News Comments > EA Salt Lake Layoffs
3. Re: EA Salt Lake Layoffs Jan 30, 2014, 20:07 jacobvandy

More like the ratio of potential profits to labor cost in mobile apps is exponentially higher than regular video games, and they're ditching some of their under-performing products at the same time. (Seriously, I have to think that even the average Joe Schmoe is getting sick of Sims 3 add-ons, especially after they announced the sequel.)  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 20:01 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 19:45:
Is the latest Splinter Cell, Blacklist, any good? I liked the first few Splinter Cell games very much and I'd welcome a return to that. When Ubisoft went off the rails with their DRM I ignored the series but it isn't used any more. I'm not keen on Uplay but I'm putting up with it for Far Cry 3 these days and it's not killing me.

Blacklist is actually really good. Out of the three playstyles that are distinctly supported (open assault, silent lethal, non-lethal/ghosting), they reward being stealthy the most and even force you into stealth a few times throughout. The plot is basically a season of 24 stretched into a couple weeks' time (if you know the show you'll recognize the villain!), but it serves well enough. I enjoyed it, and there's a lot of extra co-op stuff to do, too, if you're into that.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
52. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 16:26 jacobvandy

JSP wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 14:51:
In the same articles

Techreport
He was quick to add, however, that such an increase is a drop in the bucket compared to the total development cost of the entire game for all platforms, which might add up to something like $50 million.

Katsman believes Mantle's performance improvements make its implementation worthwhile even if only a fraction of users benefit. As he pointed out, developers already spend time writing support for features like Eyefinity and HD3D into their games, and those features have even smaller user bases

Fully optimizing an existing engine for Mantle seems to involve breaking and rewriting some chunks of that engine to take advantage of the new development model. But here again, Katsman believes the performance improvements make the effort worthwhile.

HardOCP article
As always, these benchmarks in no way represent real-world gameplay. They are all run at very low resolutions to try our best to remove the video card as a bottleneck. I will not hesitate to say that anyone spouting these types of framerate measurements as a true measuring tool in today’s climate is not servicing your needs or telling you the real truth.

Mmmhmm, now let's hear from developers who AREN'T being paid by AMD to implement it. And you're trying to put words in HardOCP's mouth by taking that out of context -- it doesn't change the results of the tests. That's how CPU tests are done, by minimizing the graphics-related variables as much as possible. AMD CPUs are simply slower than Intel's, it's a fact. Not just in gaming, but all applications; at best they come within spitting distance at video conversion, but everything else is no contest.

AMD themselves know and publicly state that their intent is not to be competing with Intel on the high end of desktop processors, because they simply cannot. They would bankrupt themselves in trying right now. But I guess since that part of the article (basically the entire Conclusion) doesn't serve you and your frail argument, you just ignore it...

35. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 13:23 jacobvandy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:05:
However, I imagine the actually gains will be less impressive than those mentioned.

Bingo. I'm assuming they do the same thing other publishers or AMD/NVIDIA themselves do, which is only report the most outstanding result of all their tests. Someone else nailed it on the head -- testing dual R9 290X GPUs at 1080p is not exactly a reasonable and representative configuration. Most people will probably be seeing the 15-25% increase shown in the other tests. And let's face it, the difference between 37 and 43 fps or 53 and 66 fps is virtually unnoticeable.

27. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 12:29 jacobvandy

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:03:
I have to assume that if Mantle really does improve performance so drastically, that Nvidia will have no choice but to add support for it to their cards or else risk having a mass exodus of people moving to AMD cards. The alternative is to create their own version of Mantle which seems silly to me. I don't expect corporations to do what seems logical to it's user base though.

I would certainly dump my Nvidia cards for AMD if they perform 40% better than they currently do while costing less. Seems like a no-brainer. I dumped Nvidia back when BF 1942 was still thriving because the ATI cards were superior (ATI 9700 Pro).

My hope is that this will give Nvidia a reason to lower the cost of their cards. As it is, they're out of control with their prices.

I've often wondered if card manufacturers are actually holding back performance in order to squeeze out more sales. It's certainly a possibility.

There's no reason to ditch anything if only a few games ever use Mantle. Without NVIDIA support a lot of devs just won't bother with it.

UHD wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:24:
Interesting that the most impressive gains were in the configuration that needed it the least: the $800 CPU paired with two high-end Radeons. That doesn't impress me as much as it's supposed to, I think.

Also reading that the reason for the 58% gain in the high-end system is because CrossFire is inefficient and the CPU can't feed the two GPUs fast enough. Wonder if that's the case with nVidia and SLI. Also, do the low-end improvements carry over to Intel CPUs? Try an Ivy or Sandy i3 or i5 with that Radeon 7970 and see if you get the same 14-25% improvements. I'm betting you don't.

More and more thinking Mantle is just AMD's solution to their poor CPU performance. Because making their CPUs better is expensive, but paying game developers to add a vendor-specific code path isn't.

But that's all just conjecture until someone independent of EA and AMD can perform their own testing.

These results are nowhere near the mind-blowing game-changer Mantle was hyped up to be. You're right in that the main reason high-end CF is seeing the largest boost is because they're finally able to get closer to twice the performance with twice the GPUs, thanks to these new optimizations. That's something NVIDIA was able to pull off with their architecture + drivers back when Fermi came out in the 400 series.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2014, 12:38.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed
12. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 30, 2014, 07:14 jacobvandy

When I made my first hardcore character, I didn't know I could share items between other HC toons or use any auction house... It felt good. Now with the latter happening (for real) with every character, that'll make me happy enough. Plus the loot changes and expanded crafting, of course.  

News Comments > ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic
27. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 29, 2014, 22:17 jacobvandy

Tumbler wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:37:
Eh, checking when this comes out, April 4...I suppose there is time to put this stuff out before launch. Kind of a bizarre launch time, after titanfall, infamous second son AND the dog fighter module in stars citizen? Heh, good luck!

This game does not compete with any of those any more than they compete with each other.

News Comments > PC GTA5 Preorders This Week?
5. Re: PC GTA5 Preorders This Week? Jan 29, 2014, 18:16 jacobvandy

Sold my PS3 copy for $40 instantly on eBay (probably could have gotten closer to $50, oh well) after I beat it, so it was practically a rental. I'm glad I held off with the GTA Online nonsense, too; hopefully they have the kinks worked out by the time the PC version hits and it'll actually be worthwhile.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 Preorders This Week?
2. Re: PC GTA5 Preorders This Week? Jan 29, 2014, 17:46 jacobvandy

An impending announcement would be right on schedule... Been four months since console release, putting the release in another four (late May, early June).  

News Comments > ESO Imperial Edition Outed
22. Re: ESO Imperial Edition Outed Jan 29, 2014, 17:39 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 17:18:
do they still have a text-to-speech engine for the NPC voices? that sounds so stupid...

That's obviously a placeholder.

Wetworks wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 16:09:
You've got to be kidding, a vanity pet doesn't do anything for you. A whole new race with racial abilities is a major part of the game.

And what are these abilities? +5 to speechcraft and a once-a-day power that boosts combat effectiveness by 5% for an hour? Because that's all the different races have ever offered in TES games. I don't even consider that discrete content, so to call it a "major part of the game" is just asinine. Playing an Imperial is just a different aesthetic, the most boring one of all IMO, so if you don't want that the digital Imperial edition is hardly worth the extra money.

News Comments > ESO Imperial Edition Outed
13. Re: ESO Imperial Edition Outed Jan 29, 2014, 15:18 jacobvandy

Rings of Mara are wedding rings, BTW. So to get that XP bonus you'll have to be secure enough in your sexuality to probably marry another dude. AKA threat of pay-to-win abated.  

2301 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo