Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2204 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
11. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 8, 2014, 23:57 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 23:39:
Wait, didn't GOG go bust a couple of years ago?

Congratulations guys. Treating your customers with respect, what an innovative business model.

Good Old Games went bust, now they're just Gog.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 15:30 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:39:
Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:08:
Why would I even want to install SteamOS if its just for games?

I wonder if any of these HW offerings if they are going to have an option to have Windows Installed instead. Some of these designs are interesting and some may like to own them as a Windows variant.

It's a regular PC, with a hard drive... Of course you can install Windows.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 and Other Steam Games Revealed?
1. Re: Killing Floor 2 and Other Steam Games Revealed? Jan 8, 2014, 13:46 jacobvandy

Interesting web glitch, if legit. But I'm pretty sure we all knew Killing Floor 2 was coming. On top of that, it was spotted in the Steam database 9 months ago.  

News Comments > EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns
12. Re: EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns Jan 8, 2014, 13:43 jacobvandy

Anybody with a couple hundred bucks can sue anyone for anything.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
26. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:06 jacobvandy

I was surprised, too, but apparently the newest Sound Blaster cards are really good.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
12. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:08 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:46:
How many degrees of freedom (is that the phrase?) does it have?

The latest TrackIR has all 6; rotating on all three axis and moving on all 3. In games that supported it, you could move (as well as just rotate) your viewpoint to look around an obstacle.

Yeah, it's six now. They basically added a TrackIR setup on the outside... Kind of disappointing, but surely the easiest and cheapest way to implement it.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
41. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 06:20 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:23:

Valve has already said there won't be any exclusives, even if they did try to do HL3 as an exclusive people would play HL3 and then ditch the OS and go back to Windows.

I don't see this as a reason to ditch Windows as a desktop OS and have no interest in PC gaming in the living room.

I'd disagree. wasn't it the case when HL2 required Steam that everybody chose Steam to eventually be the dominant/leading platform for digital distribution? if HL3 was exclusive to SteamOS it could be adopted as a main platform for gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made HL3/L4D3 exclusive to Steam Machine/SteamOS. history can repeat itself. they may say there won't be exclusives but things can always change. the only way for mass adoption is for exclusivity rights, and that's what Microsoft is trying to do with Xbox One for digital TV shows and movies.

Half-Life 2 was not the reason Steam took off. Counter-Strike 1.6 and later CS:Source had a bigger impact on early adoption than that, but all we did was bitch about the increased system resource usage and the fact that the friends list (only added feature Steam had to start with) was down 75% of the time. The only other digital distributor around at the time was Stardock, but they weren't creating a service that people were actually encouraged to use daily. That's where Steam stood alone, as a platform, not just a store. Valve then sealed the deal with Steamworks, allowing for the easy integration of said online service features including matchmaking and achievements that had the nifty side effect of making any game that used it require Steam. I remember BioShock being the first game I bought digitally aside from the Valve pack, and 650+ games later, I'm still waiting for HL3.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 06:29.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 6, 2014, 21:59 jacobvandy

Hammerfight is a brilliant experiment in having actual physical control over your avatar in a game. That's a new paradigm I'm very much looking forward to. I backed Sui Generis on Kickstarter because of it, check that out if you want to see real physics-based movement and combat in an ARPG. It's going to take developers some time to figure out how to program accurate physical interactions down to the detail that will be required, but it makes such a huge difference in believability of movement. And when one underlying system almost completely eliminates the need for rigging up canned animations, I'm sure they'll think that's worth it, too. I guess maybe not the animators, but eh, time to get some new skills!  

News Comments > DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014
9. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 21:56 jacobvandy

Highlander wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 21:02:
Another year before beta is available? HAHAHA 875,000 suckers. The zombie craze will be long over by then.

He says, presuming a "craze" is what makes this game popular while also purporting to have the authority to proclaim when the interests of others must shift.

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
20. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 16:37 jacobvandy

harlock wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:44:
It's $400 if you were to buy just the GTX 760 and i3-4330 yourself, so you can decide whether the rest of the package is worth $300.
no

oem parts do not cost the same as aftermarket parts, even though you may want to compare them that way - but from a hardware standpoint its just not the same thing

they are manufactured and regulated differently, and that is why they cost less

Yeah, no shit... That makes zero difference to the end user, though. You either buy the parts individually from Newegg or wherever, or you buy them from an assembler like CyberPower. If you have a source for OEM parts where you can buy them at the same price they pay before they sell them to regular people, good for you, but you have no business calling it a crappy deal if there is no way to get a better price for the same exact thing in the actual consumer market.

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
27. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:18 jacobvandy

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:15:
Fuck them. Bought Tomb Raider Survival Edition for the PC at full price. One of the few games I bought for full price in the last year. And now this ass rape for PC gamers again. Guess how many more Tomb Raiders I will ever buy at full price again dear Square Enix? Yup. You got it. You assholes.

If them deciding not to re-sell you the same game for full price feels like ass rape to you, you must live a pretty irritated life.

News Comments > Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects
6. Re: Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects Jan 6, 2014, 12:54 jacobvandy

Yakubs wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:53:
Someone call me when they start making actual games.

Oooh, BURN!

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
5. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 12:44 jacobvandy

It's $400 if you were to buy just the GTX 760 and i3-4330 yourself, so you can decide whether the rest of the package is worth $300. The AMD one is the better deal, but weaker performance. That includes the controller, too, have they said how much that's going to cost? I wouldn't be surprised at $69-99 separately.

The value here over building your own is the build quality. Do you really want to spend a bunch of time and effort and probably more money trying to fit all that stuff into the space of a VCR while keeping it cool and quiet? Shit, some people might not even know what size that is... Probably two blu-ray players on top of each other.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 12:52.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
26. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 6, 2014, 01:07 jacobvandy

Are you sure you haven't had a stroke recently? Because you're incoherent as hell.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 00:03 jacobvandy

I picked it up during the sale, too, and haven't had any issues. AFAIK it uses peer-to-peer hosting, so you might just need someone who doesn't have shitty internet to handle that role. Like my one friend, his DSL modem overloads when he refreshes a big enough server list (jokes about DDoSing himself), so if he hosted the Payday 2 session, we'd probably lag like hell.  

24. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 23:59 jacobvandy

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 22:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 22:46:
There would be many less games that way. Like Digital Sales aren't deep enough? We don't have a big enough library as is? We need to all copy for friends?

I don't buy it, 90% of all games and game devs are shitty. They whine incessantly about their bs on the net.

Think back to when we were kids renting games from mom and pop video stores during the NES era, we rented and finished a whole host of games for $5 without the developers seeing hardly any money at all. We only bought our favorite games because games were so expensive and 90% of games we played were crap (and hence we rented games).

Developers have always had an insane view of their worth and the worth of their games. Most modern games have little replayability. Are incredibly short and loaded with either cut-scenes, filler or dumbed down gameplay.

We haven't had a civilization, or alpha centauri kind of game in a long ass time. I write off cinematic games completely because their emotional highs don't come intrinsically from playing the game but from overwhelming the player with expensive hollywood audio/visuals and conveyor belting the player along rather linear paths like in FF13 and Call of duty.

Now there's nothing wrong with linear cinema fest games, but we've moved along way away from a game being a game with videogame like things like say smash TV where there was lots of imagination and creativity to "just another action movie first person/third person shooter". They are one shot games, you play them and then they collect dust. They have no real long term value.

Great speech there, pal, but that has nothing to do with why you should be able to freely and easily pirate games. Don't like a game, or type of game, then don't buy it. If other people do, and there's enough of that happening, they're going to continue to make them like that. They don't care what you think.

News Comments > December Steam Survey
5. Re: December Steam Survey Jan 5, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

Plenty of newer desktop PCs have integrated graphics, especially since it's standard on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge.  

10. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 14:14 jacobvandy

It's half-baked because it's beta... You have to opt-in to the Steam client beta program to even get the update, and then you have to be chosen as a participant to have the ability to use it. This is not an official feature of Steam, probably a majority of users still don't even know it exists.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 5, 2014, 07:12 jacobvandy

They might count them unofficially, but I don't see why that would have to be disclosed on the Form 990 if they never possessed it in any form. What comprises the $1.17 million is mostly what they vaguely describe as "cost," which is $13k for each of several dozen of hospitals; I'm assuming that's the purchase of some items to send there, but I don't know if the cost of shipping is included in that. Only a few hospitals were actually given cash grants in amounts ranging from $30-40k.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 4, 2014, 19:39 jacobvandy

Screw some rating, look at the IRS tax forms yourself on GuideStar.org.

I see in 2012 they brought in $4.44 million, disbursed $1.17 million as gifts to hospitals, and incurred $343k of expenses (including $110k to anonymous organizations in Asia and the Middle East). Another curious tidbit is the fact their fundraiser(s) lost them $33k, despite $290k in resulting contributions. The president, secretary, and treasurer (I guess the founders, only principals listed) take no salary, though. I'm just wondering what they do with the other two-thirds of the money they had. Could be interesting to look at the 2013 form when it's posted.

2204 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo