Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2961 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Aug 23, 2015, 15:13 jacobvandy

Retired wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 15:01:
Witcher 3 is 29.99 at GMG, can probably use another code with it....

The 20% voucher does not apply for The Witcher 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 23, 2015, 13:28 jacobvandy

Go to http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/ (you have to be logged in) for some more deals, including Guild Wars 2 for $20. This is not quite as cheap as it has been in the past, but this is a rare opportunity to buy the base game by itself since the official site switched over to the all-inclusive expansion.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 22, 2015, 23:40 jacobvandy

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 22:24:
If you insist on using North Korea on a CD, at least block those urls on a firewall and use one of these (or all of these):

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

But then again, if you don't mind being data-mined for everything you're worth and have no fear of microsoft blocking any software or hardware you have at their leisure, then just do it.

Where is the quoted text from, out of curiosity?

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 23:15 jacobvandy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 22:04:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 19:43:

On a side note, most of the PC's the major brands sell don't come with a dedicated graphics card nor a power supply that can support one, hence a lot of people either need some expensive upgrades or a better PC to play the better games.

I think you mean people are getting ripped off with the 'major pre-built pc's' and if they built them, themselves or had someone do it for them they could pay an equal price and get more out of their money. Especially when you look at R*'s recent sales numbers on the PC, which is somewhere in the range of 5.5m units if I remember right. That either means everyone is buying 3 copies, or there are more people out there then they realize.

Something that this analysis misses, is other services like Origin or Humble, R*'s thingy. Especially titles that are only released on a particular distribution platform. Those alone make the analysis lacking in terms of 'what people are buying and looking at.'

I think he underscores pretty clearly exactly what he's analyzing:

Because if youíre developing a downloadable game for Steam youíre not even fighting for 135M of its active users, youíre fighting for the attention of 1.3 million gamers that are actually buying lots of games.

The title of his website, and the focus of all of his blogging... it's Steam. He's talking specifically about Steam. His guesstimates are shaky enough without them being stretched to encompass all of PC gaming.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 21:47 jacobvandy

Genesys wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:21:
mag wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 19:15:
NKD wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 18:04:
Really puts Steam in perspective. Only around 1.3 million Steam users buy a significant number of games, and to be a member of the top 20%, you only need to own four games.

80-90% of Steam users may as well not exist for how little they participate in the PC gaming market. I never would have guessed those numbers.
Yeah this is again an eye opener... it still baffles the mind why Steam didn't make this public themselves.
It baffles you as to why Steam would keep it private that less than 1/5 of its userbase actually buys games? They want people to think they have 10M customers.
I'm probably missing something somewhere... Manually totaling the Peak counts of the top 100 games on Steam's stats page gives me ~2.7M users. Are most of these people playing the only Steam game they own? Does that make sense?

And holy cow DOTA 2 has a lot of active players.

That's what Steam Spy is claiming, yes. Or a large portion of them, anyway. For most people who play Dota 2 or CS:GO or TF2, it is probably so that that is the only game they play. Or maybe they dabble in a couple other of the most popular titles.

However, totaling together peak counts is not a good way to estimate anything. You are liable to be counting the same person multiple times, playing one game at its peak period, another game at another peak period, etc.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 20:29 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 18:35:
panbient wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 12:29:
Awww man... you need 107 games in your Steam library to be part of the One Percent?

I only have 102. I feel like such a loser now hahaha

Only 107?! Pfft. Try getting three times that number and then we'll talk!

.33%ers unite!

Would have to see his data to extrapolate further, but I'm sure it's an exponential curve rather than linear, so tripling what qualifies you for the top 1% likely puts you in the top 0.1%. So then when someone like me has double the number you do, we're talking probably 0.01%.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 21, 2015, 02:11 jacobvandy

Isn't it a bit premature to make that declaration, though? It's not even in theatres yet...  

News Comments > NVIDIA Streaming Game Sharing Revealed
1. Re: NVIDIA Streaming Game Sharing Revealed Aug 20, 2015, 18:49 jacobvandy

This is a pretty killer feature if it really does what it says on the tin... But I also see some problems with it, mainly how are publishers gonna feel about multiplayer gaming on one copy via a third-party app? Are NVIDIA gonna have to pay them off to allow it, or will some games simply block their software from interacting? If it's the former, would that mean you're going to have to subscribe to a premium GeForce Experience package in order to be able to use the Game Sharing feature?

Obviously they (developer/publisher) made a decision to allow local sharing of a game by including same-screen multiplayer modes, but is the ability to stretch that from an in-person experience to anywhere there's internet going to change the way they consider the opportunity cost of those features?

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2015, 18:59.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro Aug 20, 2015, 18:45 jacobvandy

Damn, torch for warrior? So with longbow Guardian, staff Ranger, shield Mesmer, greatsword Necro, warhorn Ele, and the all-but-confirmed hammer Engie, that leaves us with only a few possibilities left for the Thief elite spec: axe, mace, scepter, focus, rifle

I'm still hoping for a sniper!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2015, 21:06 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 21:00:
So, like a buck for each of the 40 million victims and 27 million for the lawyers? Is that about right?

Actually it doesn't sound like customers are getting anything at all out of this deal, just the banks who issued the cards. Which makes sense, as while it may be a pain in the ass for the consumer who has their card stolen, a decent bank will take care of you and make sure you're not held responsible for fraudulent charges. They, however, do have to eat those fraudulent charges if they don't end up catching and suing the fraud committer for damages.

A class action lawsuit against Target by those customers who had their private data leaked would be a whole other deal.

News Comments > Bob Was Hungry Released
3. Re: Bob Was Hungry Released Aug 19, 2015, 20:49 jacobvandy

Precision platformer on a cell phone? Good fucking luck playing that, lol.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
6. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS Aug 19, 2015, 15:22 jacobvandy

I got it for free, woohoo! I might try it today.  

News Comments > Trove Attracts 1M Users
3. Re: Trove Attracts 1M Users Aug 18, 2015, 18:26 jacobvandy

I'm still holding out hope for Cube World because there were a lot more and substantial things planned for that game that Trion will never be able to pull off in the MMO, but Trove has been scratching that itch for me lately.

They need to get off their asses and channel this success into improving the server infrastructure, though, as it's been really shitty the whole time since it launched on Steam a month ago. From consistent hour-long queues at the beginning to spontaneous all-day downtimes and sky-high pings at certain peak periods... Now they will force you into cross-region servers to handle overflow in the one you want to play in, because they figure "playing" with nigh-unbearable lag is better than waiting in a queue.

News Comments > (Old) Leaked DOOM Footage
17. Re: (Old) Leaked DOOM Footage Aug 18, 2015, 14:37 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 13:09:
I saw a link for a "Ten best butts in video games" during this video, and clicking that link provided me infinitely more enjoyment than that Doom 'game' ever would have.

Agreed!

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Aug 18, 2015, 13:49 jacobvandy

I've already gotten a good 50 hours of fun out of Starbound, way back when it first released in beta. I pre-ordered it during the pretty hugely successful crowdfunding campaign they ran on their website. I've been meaning to go back and see what's changed (if nothing else, they've added a ton of new items and biomes), but any further enjoyment is pretty much gravy. It's a great value at $15 no matter how you slice it, provided you like this type of game.  

News Comments > SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10
24. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 18, 2015, 03:14 jacobvandy

InBlack wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 03:03:
It doesn't matter if its happening or not. The EULA grants Microsoft carte-blanche to do whatever the fuck it wants now, or in PERPETUITY. Do you understand that word perpetuity? Don't you give a shit that Microsoft can use, sell or even give away every single piece of data you will ever input into your Windows X (or future version of their OS) licenced PC? That doesn't bother you even a little bit?

Microsoft doesn't have the power to make law by writing things into their EULA (yet). If they are found to be egregiously violating people's privacy to the point of breaking state or federal laws, there will be plenty of people lining up to take them to court over it. Maybe you should get started now, if you're so convinced.

Frode wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 03:11:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 20:00:
They cannot stop you from running pirated copies of any software, because there is no possible way for them to discern the legitimate from the illegitimate, presuming the crack actually works.
As you said in the previous paragraph, cracks are made to fool the game/application, not the operating system. While the cracked application or game could not detect it has been modified, Windows certainly could.

Could it? How so? The OS only knows about an application what the application provides, right? Which means that in order for the OS to know better than the app itself, Microsoft would have to gather and maintain a database of information among the largest in existence (do you realize how many games and applications there are? and how many different versions of each one there have been?), then create a sub-system of Windows that cross-checks every bit on your machine against this database, and for what? To be the piracy police? Maybe they *could* do that, but why in the hell would they? This is taking tin-foil hatting to the next level, holy shit...

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2015, 03:47.

News Comments > The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released
7. Re: The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released Aug 18, 2015, 00:34 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 00:26:
Ludomancer wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 20:33:
Did you mean "drought"?

A draught of good games sounds like there are some out there right now, and I would like you to tell me where.

Drought, I mean! The one you get by lack of rain xP

As a Californian, I am offended by your casual usage of the term.

News Comments > Mad Max Branching Trailer
7. Re: Mad Max Branching Trailer Aug 18, 2015, 00:29 jacobvandy

Oh, what a sad commentary on the state of today's games, when marketing pizzazz is mistaken for a gameplay mechanic. Thanks Obama!  

21. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 17, 2015, 23:51 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 20:55:
So stop lying for them already.

Try reading the service agreement yourself, rather than parroting whatever sensationalist clickbait bullshit you take at face value. What you quoted is speculative fear-mongering, not fact. They're taking that one little phrase out of context and rubbing their nipples while the page views from people googling "windows 10 spyware" are rolling in. There's nothing in the passage that states they're monitoring all software you have installed for the purpose of preventing the use of what they deem to be counterfeit:

b. Sometimes youíll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates are subject to these Terms unless other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. Microsoft isnít obligated to make any updates available and we donít guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software.

"Services," btw, refer to their own products, a listing of which I already posted in a previous comment. So they automatically update THEIR software, which may stop your pirated copy from working or brick your modded console or straight-up ban you from their service if they decide you deserve it, and you're shit out of luck. That is not at all out of the ordinary for ANY software or hardware EULA, and insisting it is just proves you're blindly jumping on the Win 10 hate bandwagon.

11. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 17, 2015, 20:00 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 19:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 18:07:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 17:58:
Meanwhile, Microsoft scans your Windows 10 system for pirated games so you can't use a cracked version of the .exe to make it work.

Absolutely false.

I don't know about being absolutely false, I don't think anyone knows for certain what MS is doing with the data they're accumulating on scanning peoples files on their computer, there is a lot of FUD around the Windows spying on people but there's also enough evidence to believe it's more than possible they're at the very least doing statistical reporting on piracy. The only software they effectively prevent you from running are pirated copies of their own software like Office if they're detected on the system.

The way cracks work -- the way they have to work in order to do what they do -- is to fool the game or application itself that the .exe or license is legitimate and/or remove the legitimacy check altogether. Microsoft products are not immune to this treatment, in fact I'm sure you could find pirated copies of just about every product on that list I linked previously that work perfectly well on Windows 10. They cannot stop you from running pirated copies of any software, because there is no possible way for them to discern the legitimate from the illegitimate, presuming the crack actually works.

What the oh-so-scary passage in their terms of service actually says, is that they cannot be held responsible for illegitimate software that ceases functioning as a result of any automatic updates they may push out. They don't run a scan of every system and see a read-out of the 'All Programs' lists with illegitimate software highlighted in red, then push a button to send a signal that zaps it out of existence... What they may do, however, is push an update for Office, and if you were using an unlicensed copy, your crack would have also be updated in order to work again.

2961 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo