Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2809 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jun 23, 2015, 23:53 jacobvandy

A lot of cool stuff coming in D3 2.3! Torment 10 here I come!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
16. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 20:19 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 18:25:
Ceribaen wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 17:45:
Would it really hurt them that much to have three total SKUs?
1. Expansion plus Base game for 49.99
2. Expansion only for 39.99
3. Keep base game SKU active at 14.99

I've been mildly paying attention to this, but your #3. to me alludes to if I don't buy the expansion GW 2 the base game no longer works?

As for refunding people that bought it recently, that seems pretty fair.

Absolutely not. You aren't required to buy the expansion, you just won't have access to the new features.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Video
3. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Video Jun 23, 2015, 14:24 jacobvandy

He's holding the hilt of the sword up in front of his face at all times, that's what's off. =/

Do they really think you'll forget what you're holding if they don't do that? Or are they just wanking off that hard to the sword model they made? It's not that pretty.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 13:08 jacobvandy

briktal wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 12:55:
We wanted you to know that access to much of the content in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns requires access to Guild Wars 2.

Why does anyone need to know that information if there's no way to buy Heart of Thorns without also buying the base game?

That was back in January, when they were first telling people it wouldn't be a standalone expansion with its own discrete content, that it would instead require and build upon the base game. So either they hadn't yet decided they'd be including the base game with every expansion purchase, or they didn't consider that fact to be relevant to the announcement. I'm leaning toward the former because it makes more sense, but who knows.

These refunds should solve a lot of the complaints, though. And also announcing they've committed to that same release model for any future expansions (with all previous content being included) will at least prevent this from happening again.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 12:22 jacobvandy

They didn't adjust the price, but for people who already own the game, it boils down to this:

Owned the game before January 23, 2015 -> Get a free character slot for pre-ordering the expansion

Bought the game between January 23 and June 16 -> You can get a rebate for your purchase price to apply toward the expansion OR a total refund to close your account

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Release Announcement
4. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Release Announcement Jun 23, 2015, 11:27 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 11:04:
My PC is a year old and it's the min specs for this game. That's ridiculously unoptimized for AMD owners so it's a definite pass.

You may have bought whatever PC you have a year ago, but the GeForce GTX 660 and Radeon HD 7950 are both 3-year-old products.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 22, 2015, 20:27 jacobvandy

As far as I know Taxi cabs don't usually have guns, either, whether due to local laws or company policy against it. And they need them more because they deal with a lot of cash, lol, as has been pointed out. This is Uber being forced to conform to well-established guidelines of their industry, not them trying to screw over their drivers.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
24. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 20:23 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 18:59:
Fion wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 14:30:
There will be graphics mods on the PC version within a month that vastly out-strip the games base graphics anyway.

Sure. You'd think though with their coffers, that they would review major mods and focus on adding these types of things out of box.

They've being doing that type of thing with every release. For example, you needed a mod in Oblivion to make it so only the flower or fruit of a plant would disappear when you harvested it, instead of the whole thing. It's not a "major" mod, but it's something simple that makes a difference in central gameplay which they just may not have thought of. So it came standard in Skyrim. I'd love for them to take pointers from this excellent mod, which vastly improves visuals for little performance impact.

The issue with what you say, though, is the fact that they have to balance this stuff against their budgets. If they have a lot of small things they can do like that to improve the experience without costing them too much (not just time or money, but performance and data footprint, too), I'm sure they can and will do so as much as possible.

In the case of SMIM, the limitation would be taking up nearly another gigabyte for higher quality meshes, which could have meant the difference between needing another disc for Xbox 360 or not. Now that they have more leeway in that department, there's a better chance they can incorporate stuff like that into the base game. If not, maybe they'll expand on the idea of providing higher quality assets as free DLC.

I know a lot of mod users scoff at their high-res textures for Skyrim, but even that was pushing the performance budget for a lot of players. At some point you have to decide that something may not be worth putting together for a very small segment of your audience, the people with high-end hardware who have dozens of FPS to burn on ENB injectors and 8k textures everywhere.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition Jun 20, 2015, 15:16 jacobvandy

The biggest SoaSE fan I know, a prolific modder and pillar of that community, is now playing Star Ruler 2 instead. Ironclad would have to do something really amazing with a sequel to win people back after so long.  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jun 19, 2015, 18:14 jacobvandy

If I recall, in Dishonored you had that grace period between a guard spotting you and him being able to raise the alarm, which is how it should be. That he knew where exactly to find them shows no one suspected a thing until it was too late.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 18:06 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:11:
Yeah, Canada. Still it's $73 with the current rates. Rounding up like that isn't winning them any friends. Fuck those guys. Where's our regional pricing?

The exchange rate jumped in the past 6 months, maybe they're pricing on the assumption it'll get even worse by the time the game comes out?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 14:22 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:06:
Drayth wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 13:49:
They're claiming that the expansion is worth $50. The base game isn't a factor in the pricing, they're just throwing it in.

Edit: Not saying I agree with this. But hey, I haven't followed anything concerning this expansion. If it adds twice the content, and revises the game mechanics to make it feel like a fresh new game that's totally addictive, well ok....
(I'd be willing to bet that's not the case)

Which is fine if the base game had little to no cost attached to it on its own. However, it's still regularly ~$30 or more outside of the odd sale and that seems to be a lot of money to throw away and all the sudden become a freebie.

Either they're soaking new players now by the outside-of-sale price tag or old players later by claiming the base game is free but here's a $50 expansion for one, three-tiered zone which has no new dungeons (as of yet).

That's the crux of it, and I think most people who've voiced displeasure about this would agree. You have GW2 launching at $60 as a huge game with tons of content, and then an expansion with significantly less content being priced at $50.

If they want to essentially consider it a re-launch of the game and have only one SKU to make it easy for newcomers, that's fine. But there should be a discount for people who are upgrading that reflects how much we expected the expansion to cost compared to the base game (which most would peg at $30). That's all.

As it is, the expansion is overpriced. They'd be getting the same or worse reaction even if it didn't include the base game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
26. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 14:13 jacobvandy

gravity wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 12:51:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:28:
Apparently there's an existing controversy in the news about Apartheid flags replacing Confederate ones as a symbol of prejudice and discrimination in the more backward parts of America, brought to light by an association with the suspect in the supposedly racially-motivated shooting in Charleston a couple days ago. So it seems a fair bit of bad timing for Squeenix and the reveal of this game using that phrase as a slugline.

Not to be a "correction-jerk," but it's not 'supposedly racially motivated.' Matter-of fact, that's exactly what it was (admitted to it, and was hoping to incite a "civil war"), and it also is quite a thing here in the southern states to invoke apartheid of Zimbabwe/South Africa.

All said, I agree with the labeling of DX. It's exactly that, and I look forward to exploring the storyline.

I tend to use words like 'apparently' and 'supposedly' and 'allegedly' when referring to ANYTHING in the mainstream media. It's unwise to take everything you see there as plain fact, especially when you're dealing with sensationalist reporting of intangible things like motive and intentions.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 12:01 jacobvandy

I've had my 970 since November and never run into any issues where the "3.5GB" memory thing mattered at all. You know how the internet goes -- less than 5% of the people are kicking up dust, flapping their flightless wings, and crowing at the sky, while everyone else is too busy being contented to care. New games run great with near max settings, it's cool and quiet (silent when idle because the fan turns off), and it doesn't suck up power like an actual vacuum cleaner.  

7. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 10:28 jacobvandy

Apparently there's an existing controversy in the news about Apartheid flags replacing Confederate ones as a symbol of prejudice and discrimination in the more backward parts of America, brought to light by an association with the suspect in the supposedly racially-motivated shooting in Charleston a couple days ago. So it seems a fair bit of bad timing for Squeenix and the reveal of this game using that phrase as a slugline.  

News Comments > Evolve Hunting Season 2 Roll Out Starts Next Month
14. Re: Evolve Hunting Season 2 Roll Out Starts Next Month Jun 18, 2015, 21:51 jacobvandy

Steamcharts simply records the concurrent player counts and plots them on a graph... It is perfectly accurate to what Steam reports on a moment-to-moment basis.

When a game gradually slides from 27.4k concurrent players at launch down to around 700, it's on its last legs. Not dead yet, but in critical condition. When this 97% decline happens in less than 5 months, it's pretty safe to say it bombed.

20. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2015, 14:22 jacobvandy

I doubt they'll try it again so soon, but if that's translated correctly, he says "currently there are no plans." That's as good as a "no comment," no matter who's saying it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 17, 2015, 20:56 jacobvandy

They were able to pull off the talk show thing because they had a good host, however I definitely agree it dragged on in places. Some of those guests simply were not good speakers and should not have been given the time to ramble on. Show their trailer or let them demo a level of their game, sure, but even the AMD commercials were more entertaining than a handful of the others.

I'm also disappointed that NVIDIA was completely barred from participating. The Tripwire dev couldn't even mention them when talking about the new PhysX effects coming to Killing Floor 2... They let the head of Xbox come in to spew bullshit and offer nothing, but not the leading purveyor of gaming graphics that is actually relevant to the platform, arguably more so than the namesake sponsor? Shame on PC Gamer.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 13:17 jacobvandy

sauron wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 12:33:
I played a ton of this when it came out, but that was 3 years ago. How come it took so long for the first expansion? There was very little endgame, so the original playerbase has long since moved on.

This is the first proper expansion that is adding a whole new region, a new class, and specializations that can completely change all existing classes, yes. But for the first two years they constantly released new story content and unique seasonal events, including three new permanent zones, all for free. It's slowed down recently because they've been working on Heart of Thorns, but for a long time you could log-in almost every month and have something new to do. If you "moved on," you missed out on a lot.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
7. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 11:14 jacobvandy

Spektr wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 11:06:
Actually I am kinda puzzled by that way of announcing a new product.
Back in days not so far away expansions were promoted by telling people what they added to the game. Now they just mention what pre-purchase will bring to buyers?? Not very exciting..

They announced the expansion months ago, and have been releasing info about it on a [mostly] regular basis since then... Last night they revealed another major feature, Guild Halls, and opened up pre-orders.

2809 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo