Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2261 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 9, 2014, 13:19 jacobvandy

Yeah... Switching between RTS and RTS or MOBA and MOBA or even RTS and MOBA isn't exactly like switching from basketball to baseball... Let me know when one of those guys is just as good in an FPS.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
10. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 11:29 jacobvandy

Well, think about it, who knows what Sierra is and what it represents? The older nerds, who are throwing [tens of] millions of dollars at indie developers for the mere PROMISE of a new old-school game... This is the first step in Activision engaging and pursuing that demographic. If nothing else, they're finally starting to realize that you can fleece the younger and naive for only so much, and so long. They have this brand and these properties they've been sitting on, but now that they believe they're coming back into style, they're dusting them off and trotting them out along the runway.  

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs
30. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs Aug 7, 2014, 18:38 jacobvandy

Deep Silver is a distributor here, for physical copies. Crytek doesn't need them for digital.  

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
9. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 13:28 jacobvandy

Lol, I like that it has the tag "pixel graphics" on the Steam page...  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 4, 2014, 00:02 jacobvandy

Don't worry, it's just the gradual, inevitable breakdown of society... People regularly call 911 because they aren't satisfied with their service at fast food restaurants, etc.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
16. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 00:16 jacobvandy

I think the regular price will be $29-39.  

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced
11. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced Aug 1, 2014, 14:42 jacobvandy

Well while they're hyping the shit out of the "coming eventually" patch 2.1 for D3, I can't be bothered to play that until then. It's nice to have another, different ARPG to play when you get bored of one of 'em...  

News Comments > Timesplitters: Rewind Still Ticking
3. Re: Timesplitters: Rewind Still Ticking Jul 31, 2014, 16:05 jacobvandy

As far as I know, it was because they don't have the rights to the name... They can't make money from it at all, it has to be completely free.  

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 31, 2014, 11:12 jacobvandy

BitWraith wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:35:
There are some real wackos at conventions. We've been going to Dragon*Con for 10 years, and it is the most "adult atmosphere" of them all. There is some perverted shit that goes down there.

I don't know how women put up with men.

And surprise, surprise, at least one of the founders of that con was busted for touching kids... IIRC, he was under a restraining order from an underage girl, but just couldn't help himself. And he was what, in his 50s?

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
1. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 jacobvandy

Interesting. Crytek was really excited about making this game, weren't they? Shows how desperate they are/were that they had to part with it...  

News Comments > Firefall Launches
13. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:40 jacobvandy

Frijoles wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:40:
Why do you play shooters?

For hats!

There actually are quite a few hats in this game, so...

10. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:01 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 23:06:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:40:
I'd LOVE to hear any arguments about how being able to buy gear other people have found and put up for sale with real money (via Red beans -> Credits -> gear) makes it "pay to win." That gives you no advantage over people who are actually earning that loot, and you still have to put in the dozens of hours of playtime to progress your frame from 1-40 to be able to use that uber gear... Which honestly does not even give you that huge of an advantage over the crappiest quality junk you can cheaply craft in terms of sheer power, and then still relies on your skill to actually be able to use the thing.

There's your argument. "Not a huge advantage" implies some advantage.

Um, no... I was referring to the high-quality "uber gear," the blues and the purples, compared to white standard-quality stuff. That goes regardless of your method of obtaining them. Indirectly paying real money for it does nothing to give you an advantage over not doing so, but saving you the time and trouble. That is not pay to win... To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.

Asmodai wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 23:40:
JV is slightly wrong though, you can convert red beans to credits per the method I described (RB for crystite, crystite for credits).

You misunderstand me. Maybe I could have stated a little more clearly that red beans are DIRECTLY converted to credits. You'd be wasting a lot of value by trying to turn red beans into crystite, lol, as the only way I can think of is by buying slot machine tokens and getting like a few hundred Cy (literally the reward for killing a handful of enemies) as the base, guaranteed prize. The main reason I can surmise for them creating this buffer currency (credits, the only thing used in the marketplace), is to maintain that "you gotta earn it" value for crystite, which is required for all crafting. They don't let you purchase crystite in any worthwhile manner.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 00:15.

6. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 22:40 jacobvandy

Actually no, you cannot create crystite out of thin air, that is what has to be earned by playing. Red beans (and everything else on the player marketplace) are traded in credits. Credits are ONLY created by converting crystite. So any currency you tie up in player-to-player transactions is stuck there. So it's slightly different than say, GW2, due to the buffer between in-game currency and premium currency.

I'd LOVE to hear any arguments about how being able to buy gear other people have found and put up for sale with real money (via Red beans -> Credits -> gear) makes it "pay to win." That gives you no advantage over people who are actually earning that loot, and you still have to put in the dozens of hours of playtime to progress your frame from 1-40 to be able to use that uber gear... Which honestly does not even give you that huge of an advantage over the crappiest quality junk you can cheaply craft in terms of sheer power, and then still relies on your skill to actually be able to use the thing.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:39:
What's the main mechanic here? Questing? loot? Because if it's loot, then it having an AH is a major turn off. D3 dropped it for a reason.

Now if it ain't loot, how is the gameplay? What is long-term motivation in this? (Trailer tells nothing)

Loot is nice, but as I said it's the same old "vastly increased cost for tiny measure of better efficiency" end-game progression that you see in other MMOs. If you're a good FPS player, you can kill things with shitty gear just fine. It's really fun just as an actual MMOFPS for the PVE, in my opinion, which includes an end-game open world area that is being progressively expanded with player contributions toward "the war effort." Existing raid bosses and etc. there have not been uncovered yet, and more will be on the way. They also have this vast open-world PVP area where you compete for territory and resources, if that's more your thing.

Say what you will about the surrounding features, but they really did an awesome job with the core gameplay of shooting things with guns, that you don't need a standard MMO "main mechanic" to hinge on. Why do you play shooters? That's why you play Firefall, and it's fun enough to put at least some time into. I mean... It's free.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2014, 22:51.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 12:20 jacobvandy

Yup, I see an 860 [Ti] in my future... Will be perfect timing with GTA V, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn if that's something they're going to be promoting the stuff around.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jul 26, 2014, 21:23 jacobvandy

Well, I say that because I couldn't seem to do it at all in AC4. He definitely was very grabby, but that's what I mean about dumbing it down, they took out that element of manual input. I hated tapping the drop button several times to go down the side of a building... No game, I would rather tell YOU when he grabs the fucking ledge!  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jul 26, 2014, 20:04 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 17:46:
The combat and traversal in AC never required any skill. I've played all of them and it's always been "hold-two-buttons to automatically run, climb, jump, hop, swing, etc" and "hold block and press counter to automatically kill enemies." In terms of combat, the series has actually improved slightly with each iteration. In the first game, you could literally hold block and press counter to kill every single enemy in the game. In the sequels, they added enemy types that required a slightly different tactics.

Am I crazy, or do I remember being able to climb a little higher and faster in older games, which let you use a jump and grab technique that is no longer possible? Also seemed to be easier to grab ledges when you're falling in the past, which opened up more opportunities for quicker descent. It seems in their effort to make the motion more fluid and foolproof, they've removed player ability/ingenuity from the equation.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2014, 19:03 jacobvandy

Meanwhile, the blackest black and the marijuana leaf are the only skins that ever get used. Such unique!  

News Comments > Steam Controller Redesigned?
11. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 20:13 jacobvandy

Well, the way I see it, this isn't gonna replace an Xbox controller for the games I already use that for... I guess I can see why they wanted to include a stick, but it's unnecessary unless this is gonna be the only gamepad you own.  

News Comments > EA Financials
7. Re: EA Financials Jul 23, 2014, 00:20 jacobvandy

They broke even this year, basically... All that revenue and they gained $4 million in cash flow, after a $248 million LOSS in cash last year. That's what they mean by "increase of $252 million," lmao.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Defenders Eternity [Updated]
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Defenders Eternity [Updated] Jul 22, 2014, 19:31 jacobvandy

Yeah... It clearly stated "SINGLE-PLAYER" earlier today when I bought it. Which I only did because they boasted several new features for this game that I love and offered a 70% discount for owners of the original. Then I launched the thing, created a separate account and tolerated a superfluous OVERLAY for their shitty social network that I'll never use, only to be immediately thrown into a public lobby with like 25 people jumping around. Then all the textures were blurry blobs of shit, which I later realized to be due to the game dynamically streaming all assets as you need them... I'm content in the fact that fans have been complaining to them all day about it already, so they should be ironing out the kinks soon enough.  

2261 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo