Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2285 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
5. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 15:14 jacobvandy

I'd say good riddance, but you know it won't stick.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Gold Bonus
3. Re: Diablo III Gold Bonus Aug 21, 2014, 19:52 jacobvandy

I see nothing wrong with them encouraging ladder participation... But I agree, a gold find weekend is pretty lame. I guarantee they won't see nearly the influx of players they do with XP or drop rate buff events.  

News Comments > Dishonored Free Weekend
3. Re: Dishonored Free Weekend Aug 21, 2014, 19:46 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 19:22:
Are there people that don't own this yet?

Tens of millions of Steam users? It really isn't that popular of a game.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released
10. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released Aug 21, 2014, 14:27 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 14:09:
I would gladly watch their trailer, but they seem to think that forcing me to watch a fucking commercial of some bint rubbing ointment on a baby is a good way for me to spend my time.

Fuck you, whichever shitty video outfit this video got linked from.

GameTrailers has definitely gone downhill since Spike bought them out, but my god, man, you need yourself some adblock. I see zero commercials in front of flash videos, no matter where they're from.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released
6. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released Aug 21, 2014, 11:54 jacobvandy

They add legendaries with most smaller content updates, too, AFAIK. Like a handful every month. Unless they stopped doing that recently...  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 03:10 jacobvandy

Seriously, Cutter? You're the most cynical motherfucker around here, and you're gonna take the numbers they decide to polish up and feed you on their spiffy web site? I look at the real numbers, which they are required by law to file with the IRS every year in accordance with their status as a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity organization. They are meticulously itemized and are a matter of public record, and several watchdog sites will post them online for free (I use GuideStar.org). Not sure if you need to create an account to view this, but here's a direct link to their most recent Form 990 filing.

Long story short, they have no standards to adhere to in the reports you were looking at. They can move the numbers around and call them whatever they want. There's no hiding how much money they waste in the IRS reports... 65% of the money they took in during FY'12 did not go to the cause, which is finding a cure for ALS and/or helping out people who suffer from it. It was even worse the year before, at 77% wasted, and in that period the amount in salaries was larger than they paid out in grants! So when you give $100, only a fraction of it is actually helping anybody -- the rest is going into the pockets of these people who are making a living off of your kindness. They don't want a cure, because then they'd be out of the job.

3. Re: Into the Black Aug 20, 2014, 21:50 jacobvandy

http://www.alsa.org/, which is the primary organization advocating this cause (as opposed to the smaller, regional chapters I mentioned previously) and is generally linked with videos such as the Foo Fighters one above. If they didn't come up with it, they've sure as hell jumped all over it because it's prominent on their site home page. This challenge is directly responsible for a surge of tens of millions of dollars in donations in the past few weeks... And we won't know for sure how it's spent until 2016, but all signs are pointing to it being just another flavor of the month feel-good scam (remember Haiti? none of that money went to people in need) that very few people truly care about.  

1. Re: Into the Black Aug 20, 2014, 20:54 jacobvandy

It's bizarre how this ice bucket shit took off... But what doesn't surprise me, is how much of a fucking scam this charity is (there are several ALSA chapters all over the country, not all of them are as bad as this main one in DC that is running this campaign). Their most recent financial docs indicate they pay out nearly as much in salaries and other benefits ($5,138,716) as they contribute to actual ALS research ($6,846,097). I'm sorry, but you should not have ten full-time people making six figures (and who knows how many others off the record), PLUS offer pensions and expense accounts and all that crap, and still be able to call yourself a non-profit, tax-exempt organization...

The other half of their costs, which totaled $106k more than they took in last year, include $2.76 million to a marketing firm for "fundraising counsel," $1.69 million in "management fees," $1.17 million in travel expenses, and $498k in occupancy (AKA fancy fucking office building(s)).

I really don't mind celebrities and Joe Schmoes all over YouTube deciding to rally behind a cause and raise money and all that, but do some simple research and make sure you're supporting an ACTUAL charity, not a multi-million dollar business masquerading as one. It's really just another sickening reminder of how much monkey-see, monkey-do bullshit goes on in our country -- not just in social media, where you expect people to be asshats, but the "real" professional news media. Ugh.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2014, 21:02.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha
8. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 21:18 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:49:
This is interesting. Not sure a major studio has ever let the public play test this early before.

The code has been available to anyone with an UE4 license/sub for weeks, and some have been compiling it and putting it up for download anyway. This is just them saying "Welp, might as well give everyone a place to talk about it and make sure they have a direct source for the latest builds." This is a side effect of them deciding to effectively crowd-source development of the game, not really a radical move to offer free early, early, early access to a full-on AAA production.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 18, 2014, 22:34 jacobvandy

And anyway, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people participating in such "beta tests" are only interested in getting to play the game earlier, not actually providing feedback... I'll be skipping it, too, though. Not really into beta testing story-based RPGs.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 21:26 jacobvandy

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 19:43:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 16:21:
Even if that's so, he's promoting the practice, raising money around it, and using their copyrighted materials to do so.

Bad argument, its a tool to run something, its not the material itself.

Nintendo's brand names, and box art? Those are copyrighted materials being used without permission... He's going to have to be a lot more generic in his descriptions and examples if he's going to completely avoid legal trouble, but oh, dang! How is he going to invoke the nostalgia-fueled *ka-ching* effect he's relying on without those key words and images?

Lucky for him, apparently only the copyright or trademark holder can file a complaint about such shenanigans to Kickstarter. So if Nintendo isn't aware by now, it'll probably go by unnoticed and they'll get their money.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2014, 21:33.

3. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 16:21 jacobvandy

Even if that's so, he's promoting the practice, raising money around it, and using their copyrighted materials to do so.  

1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 11:02 jacobvandy

Calling it "retro gaming" doesn't absolve you from the fact you're building an OS around emulators and ROMs... If Nintendo catches wind of this, I'm sure he can expect a strongly-worded letter from their lawyers.  

News Comments > Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free
5. Re: Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free Aug 15, 2014, 11:52 jacobvandy

Or, by mandating the free play time occurs simultaneously for everybody, you have a weekend that is guaranteed to be chock full of player activity, which is pretty important for a multiplayer title...  

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Aug 14, 2014, 23:07 jacobvandy

Well, I'm more glad about additional library management features than I am annoyed that issue persists, so... Along with the slight facelift and increased performance, I'm calling this one a win.  

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer Aug 14, 2014, 07:22 jacobvandy

Can't wait to run and jump around to see those little robot claws waving in the air in front of me!  

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault Announced
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault Announced Aug 13, 2014, 19:14 jacobvandy

I couldn't get into COH2 (the campaign), because the cold mechanics annoyed me... Also bad checkpoint saving just exacerbated the previous problem.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2014, 17:54 jacobvandy

Does the sports franchise care when corporations buy out their stadium seating in bulk, leaving little more revenue to be made up by the average fan?  

News Comments > Steam TV and Film Support Hints?
8. Re: Steam TV and Film Support Hints? Aug 12, 2014, 17:25 jacobvandy

These are app types being added into the Steam database code. Alongside things we already have available in the store (or as subscriptions alongside other purchases) like games, tools, applications, demos, etc., there are now films, tv series, and music. So looks like it's more than just supporting delivery of content through a clientside portal, these are gonna be products they're offering. Possibly.  

News Comments > First Diablo III Paragon 1000 Livestream
10. Re: First Diablo III Paragon 1000 Livestream Aug 12, 2014, 13:12 jacobvandy

No new paragon portrait for 1000? What the fuck, lol. People have been complaining about how little difference there is between every 10 levels, you should have something amazing for 1000... If it were a topless Leah, you'd have at least a few dozen people hitting that level by now.  

2285 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo