Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2423 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 1, 2015, 12:29 jacobvandy

JayDeath wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 11:41:
I never understood all the hate for AvP 2010. I had a lot of fun with the campaigns and it's still is one of the prettiest games out there.

I remember reviewing it when it came out, having been somewhat familiar with the original but not really a huge fan of the franchise or anything. Solid game, not amazing, and just a bit short. But that wasn't enough for a lot of people who held some really high expectations, and so then when the multiplayer never took off on top of that, it fell to the wayside pretty quickly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Season One End Nears
2. Re: Diablo III Season One End Nears Dec 30, 2014, 19:36 jacobvandy

Yeah... It's frankly been going on way too long, for my taste. That's going to make five months total!  

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
21. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 12:56 jacobvandy

The funny thing is, it's probably gonna end up being a pretty shitty game. As in, not very entertaining. But all this "controversy" is making a lot of people throw money at their screen, when they otherwise would never have known it existed. Good job, everyone!  

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
3. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 12:27 jacobvandy

It is a non-issue for most people. A hard-coded password generated by the installer, which the user does not interact with at all, is hardly DRM. Here is a more pertinent response to that from GOG staff:

The Installer is designed mostly for reliability and ease of use for any user. And it's intentionally designed as it is.

Mind you - if you are using the supported installation mode, you don't have to enter the password anywhere. Nor is it in any way dependent on username, or hardware, or anything else. It's more or less hardcoded into the installer (I see you guys already figured out how), as much as the decompression algorithm. You can still use the installer exactly as you could since the beginning of GOG, and install your games wherever, whenever, and however many times you want. It doesn't detect where was it downloaded from either. That hasn't changed at all.

News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
5. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 29, 2014, 22:28 jacobvandy

The game is not running *on* the oscilloscope. It's reading an audio stream with specially-crafted frequencies that create those shapes on the screen. The game is actually being played on a laptop, generating the data-laden audio in real-time, which is then fed to the oscilloscope as a [poorly] mirrored display. That's why he's able to provide a demo you can view on your own 'scope, an audio file you download and pipe into it.

I'm pretty sure there are graphing calculator versions of Doom, Quake, etc. already out there, though. :p

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 29, 2014, 15:41 jacobvandy

I can't say I really like Netflix turning into their own production company, as I'd rather they invest more in licensing more and better stuff for longer terms... But then I also can't blame them for investing in themselves, creating content that is probably cheaper than licensing blockbusters, yet still drives a bunch of subs and won't expire.

I'm curious how their own talk show will work, though.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2014, 18:19 jacobvandy

Yeah... This nonsense about "separate services" still being tied to cable providers needs to end already. I went to look up that new FX app, which offers every episode of the Simpsons for "free" streaming, but it requires you have cable service that includes the actual FX channel(s). And I'm sure they still show you ads during the stream. Not surprised at all so many people pirate TV shows these days.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Hackers Just Released a Huge Cache of Passwords and Credit Card Information. Dec 28, 2014, 18:15 jacobvandy

No, they didn't. It's an attention-grabbing hoax by some idiots, not a new breach. They got all of that info from previous smaller leaks that are up to several years old, aggregating it from documents that are publicly available if you know where to look. Amazon and Microsoft have already issued statements denying any recent attacks.  

News Comments > Boxing Day Legal Briefs
1. Re: Boxing Day Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2014, 12:51 jacobvandy

That's what happens when you release digital alongside theaters.  

News Comments > Diablo III Experience Bonus
8. Re: Diablo III Experience Bonus Dec 26, 2014, 00:13 jacobvandy

I'll disagree with you there. You get 5-10 legs per hour, at least, so unless you're really re-rolling stats like crazy trying to perfect a lot of jewelry, you're gonna have tons of souls piling up on an end-game character. I pick up whites and blues now, since they're the limiter for crafting or rolling stats, respectively. Yellow mats are thrown at you like crazy in drops and rewards now, so I don't even bother with those items.  

News Comments > Dark Souls DSfix DMCA SNAFU
5. Re: Dark Souls DSfix DMCA SNAFU Dec 23, 2014, 12:43 jacobvandy

This is the problem with DMCA takedowns... They're outsourced to third parties that don't even know what they're trying to enforce.  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Mannpower Mode Beta
4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Mannpower Mode Beta Dec 23, 2014, 11:43 jacobvandy

So find a server that is properly managed by active admins... It's not that hard.  

News Comments > GSC Game World Back in Business
6. Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 19:26 jacobvandy

Redux is my favorite mod, as well. It's an extreme realism/difficulty mod that was also adapted for Call of Pripyat. Although the crazy, over-the-top, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink mods were fun in their own right.  

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
26. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 20, 2014, 12:09 jacobvandy

When you have to disable game-modes less than a month after launch because they were splitting the playerbase to the point where wait times for matches were unbearable... You've got major issues. They carried that match-making shit over from MW2+ Call of Duty because they "pioneered" it, but they forgot to consider that it only worked (mostly) there because of the sheer volume of people playing... You can't make assumptions like that for a brand new IP.  

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Video Diary
2. Re: Killing Floor 2 Video Diary Dec 19, 2014, 17:11 jacobvandy

Agreed! Anxiously awaiting this by now. Hopefully Part 2 actually talks about perks; I've heard they're addressing overt grindy-ness, but I'm wondering how it's going to work, exactly.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
2. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Dec 18, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

Was hoping this would cut down on driver crashes with The Crew... No such luck.  

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
5. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 14:07 jacobvandy

Still waiting to be able to load a damn store page...  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
19. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 18, 2014, 03:55 jacobvandy

Lorcin wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 00:17:
Rockstar had my money. Can I put my ps3 bluray into my pc and it validates the fact I already bought this game?

No? Waiting for sale

They know you played the game because of RSSC. They're just not in the business of giving you multiple copies of the same game for the price of one.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 12, 2014, 21:12 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 20:21:
One unexpected surprise for me with the PS4\GTA was the speaker in the controller. The extra dimension added with that speaker is bloody marvelous and R* did a great job utilizing it. Anyone who's playing GTA on the X1 is missing out.

Another Nintendo innovation copied the next generation.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Resumes
6. Re: Steam Holiday Auction Resumes Dec 12, 2014, 21:07 jacobvandy

The value of a booster pack has always been the chance for foil(s).  

2423 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo