Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2349 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2014, 16:19 jacobvandy

Goats screaming bloody murder to the tune of the GoT theme just blows that shitty AT&T parody away.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heartbleed Vulnerabilities
2. Re: Heartbleed Vulnerabilities Apr 11, 2014, 12:36 jacobvandy

You do what you need to do, but I'd rather our government not grow any more than it already has... It's not worth it just to relieve myself of some personal responsibility.  

News Comments > Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced
31. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 23:56:
I just...I mean...how does this fit at all with his "SWG players, welcome home" thing? Uh, Zombies....yeah, not seeing the connection.

Player-driven sandbox, where you can build your own town and go to war with other groups. He never said it had anything to do with Star Wars the property (futuristic, laser swords, etc.).

News Comments > Morning Patches
24. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:36 jacobvandy

It's fine to have that opinion, I can't prove the prevalence one way or the other. I never meant to imply that they make their balancing decisions purely on the basis of thwarting farmers, either, just that is is a side effect if not a contributing factor. We can agree to disagree on that. But my point is the scenario only exists now *because* you can't directly transfer gold anymore. Any game where a major goal is to amass wealth will have gold farmers, period.  

22. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:13 jacobvandy

21. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:08 jacobvandy

You're just not comprehending, are you? The mule account is an entirely separate account running on another machine. People have been doing that ever since the online RPG was invented. Some people have a half-dozen accounts running on as many machines at once (google multi-boxing) for themselves for fun! Let alone people trying to make a living off of farming. The host stays and has the customer connect to the game, once, and they both sit there while the mules come in and out dropping everything. If one person can pull that off so easily, just think of your average Chinese gold farming outfit with the personnel and the support roles all filled out and working together. It's not only possible, but highly probable in one of the most popular online games on the planet.

I had no idea you were so naive, but it really does explain the rest of our exchange, so thanks for enlightening me, I guess...

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2014, 20:14.

19. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:32 jacobvandy

Redmask wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:13:
Anyone can have an inventory full of rares and a lot of gold by simply playing.

Yep, they can. But people tend to take the path of least resistance, one of which happened to be running around and opening chests in certain areas. They were getting more items from that than killing monsters. I agree with Blizzard that that is a problem, even strictly regarding the design of gameplay balance, but you can't deny the dual-purpose to the reasoning.

Redmask wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:13:
Blizzard has removed all of the transport mechanisms from the game

Pay the farmer -> he adds you to his friends list -> join his game -> pick up all the shit being dropped on the ground from his mules. Sounds pretty simple to me, and more likely than dropping a few hundred bucks on a pimped out account. BTW I just thought of belts and jewelry doubling your capacity for wealth storage, so increase the scale of what I said accordingly, heh.

Rhialto wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:26:
Can we transfer gold from a player to another? I may have 105 millions to sell.

Not directly anymore, that's kind of the whole point of this conversation. I'm speaking of ways to indirectly transfer wealth in the game, which have not been halted by the sweeping changes made to the D3 economy with patch 2.0. And because it involves jumping through more hoops, the relative value of that wealth has increased.

16. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:10 jacobvandy

Lol, as you wish. Every 10 minutes when I'm teleporting back to town with an inventory full of rares, I turn them all to crafting mats, right? But selling to a vendor, that's 100-125k gold. Toss them over to an alt account with a maxed out storage vault and what, 15 character slots now full of mules, and you have nearly 3 million gold in goods that can be offloaded in a few minutes. The price of gold has gone up, with TRILLIONS being taken out of circulation with the AH shutting down and all of that being bound to accounts. New players with nothing, and more money than time to spend playing, could easily spend $5 for that truckload of rares that took someone an hour or two of farming to gather.

If I can think of this shit in 5 minutes as an example here, you can be damn sure people are doing that, and much, much more.

13. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 18:32 jacobvandy

I didn't say it affects you... But people can and do still make money off of their game, against their ToS. If they can put a dent in that by eliminating some outlying cases of "too rewarding for the effort" that also don't affect most players very much, then they do.

Also nin, forget that ruby, if you're up into at least the 30-40% critical chance range, an emerald will boost your damage more.

10. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 17:16 jacobvandy

That's just plain incorrect. They've hurt the farmers/botters, sure, but there are others ways of transferring wealth. All gems below marquise are not BoA. Found rares are not BoA and can be worth several thousand gold a piece to a vendor. Loads of people still buy and sell entire accounts, a practice which you can be sure will only grow with the introduction of ladders and other forms of competition. You can still group up with and mooch off of supremely-geared characters, whether legitimate or automated, a service that many people do pay for. Putting restrictions on an economy can stifle it for most players, but there's still that disproportionately active minority that always comes up with a way to carry on.

Blizzard making global policy to combat them is the same kind of thing as an ISP putting bandwidth caps on to retard the consumption of that small group of power users that puts the most strain on their infrastructure. They have no way to classify and segregate players into categories, so all the changes they make have to affect everybody.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours
17. Re: Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours Apr 10, 2014, 16:56 jacobvandy

Yeah, low for you, someone who's spent 40+ with an unfinished beta. 50 is for a normal playthrough. You might get 100+, replaying it and whatnot.  

23. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:54 jacobvandy

They're emulating DayZ, not WoW, so I doubt you're going to have any kind of class roles like that at all. Instead you have more natural and player-defined ones, like "you got the sniper rifle, Joe, sit up on that hill and watch out for shitheads while I run down to that warehouse." Which is really the kind of future you're asking for, but I guess they need to come up with some AI that can realize they're being picked off by a guy up on the hill and not the other guy who ran down and drew aggro.  

6. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 14:48 jacobvandy

Everyone doing it doesn't mean it's not lame, lol. Obviously Blizz doesn't like that kind of behavior, as has been the driving force behind almost all of their reward balancing changes (encouraging exploration over limited repetition). Not to mention, that's exactly how professional farmers and botters operate, and any dev would want to limit their effectiveness... It's just that now, with the digital age and being able to tweak the game on a daily basis with hotfixes and more significantly with bi-weekly-ish patches, they can and do something about it more often. Adventure mode and the rifts are all about providing rewards while switching up the tileset and monsters often. So that a) you actually see all the content they spent so much time and money creating and b) playing feels more fun and less like a grind.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours Apr 10, 2014, 13:55 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:15:
2 years is more than enough for a game of this size and caliber. As per usual this is typical Obsidian mismanagement again with production schedules. I'm sure they made a fuckton of money on South Park, so they should hire additional resources if needed to finish this. They're already 7 months over schedule. This is just one more reason I'm done with crowdsourcing. Schedules and time are very important in my books. So is keeping your word. If someone says they're going to do something by XYZ then the better do it or don't say it at all. Go tell your boss that whatever project he has you on you're going to delay it 6-12 months and see what his response is.

Good job ranting about a completely different developer than is involved here...

4. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 13:11 jacobvandy

Well of course, there are loads of reward incentives that go along with buying the expansion. Chief among them is the hailstorm of Marquise/Imperial gems that make all other socketables before them completely irrelevant. They gotta make their money, so pretty much all support from now on is going to be polishing RoS to the point where no D3 player could possibly think to himself "nah, I don't need that."

You have to admit, though, that those nerfs in particular are fairly justified. Chest runs are for pussies, and farming a guaranteed unique spawn over and over again is just lame. They're basically for legendary crafting mats now anyway (at 70), but if they notice a particular niche behavior resulting in ignoring the other 98% of the game's content, they're gonna squash it. They nerfed chests in RoS hard the first week, though there were so many that I wondered whether it was a bug in the placement.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2014, 13:41.

13. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 12:54 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 12:19:
Ugh... when is the zombie craze going to end? When is the multiplayer survival pk fest going to end? You would think people would be sick of both by now.

Even if you are in the mood for a zombie game, you probably aren't going to enjoy asshats burning down your structures 24 hours a day, for no reason other than to spam WTFLOLBBQ or whatever in chat.

So level up and unlock bricks to build with!

News Comments > Evening Patches
13. Re: Evening Patches Apr 9, 2014, 11:41 jacobvandy

If the problem is disconnections, then they're probably more interested in fixing that instead. Frankly, I doubt they even want to let you save your "progress" with the bounties. The bonus is there to encourage longer sessions, so why allow people to get the same benefits when playing in short bursts?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2014, 11:41 jacobvandy

Add to that the corporate-controlled media that does nothing to expose said corruption, and yeah, your democracy is pretty much dead. Sucks.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 9, 2014, 11:10 jacobvandy

Did you have a dirty Uncle Randy touch your hoo-hah as a child or something?  

News Comments > Evening Patches
11. Re: Evening Patches Apr 9, 2014, 10:53 jacobvandy

It's not progression, though... They're endlessly repeatable, randomly-generated side quests. You just happen to earn a bonus if you do at least 5 at once.  

2349 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo