Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2215 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Trailer
12. Re: Thief Trailer Feb 11, 2014, 14:31 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 13:20:
Flatline wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 13:12:
Yawn. Another super corrupt snidely whiplash evil bad guy.

Why not break the trend and make him a genuinely good person trying to do a needed job in a city overrun with crime? Don't team up with Garrett, don't have a sudden twist, but have the balls to introduce a guy who is clearly an antagonist but is not a villain.

When your main character is a thief, you often have to go above and beyond to make it clear he's not the bad guy and not just some dick taking shit from other people.

What's wrong with playing a bad guy, though? I don't get why fluffy mainstream game writers are still staying away from anti-heroes, despite the insane popularity of shows like Breaking Bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
16. Re: Adam Orth Feb 10, 2014, 21:53 jacobvandy

Sugarman wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 20:42:
"Office Space" is all I could think of after seeing this.

Tom Smykowski
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Heh, I remember using that clip among a couple others from the movie as the basis for an oral report on communication styles in my group speech class back in college. Others included condescending jerkwad Lumberg and cool, confident [hypnotized] Peter. Everybody loved our presentation.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
22. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 13:55 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:18:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:47:
GW2 isn't free-to-play, it just doesn't have a sub.

Right, but since we are talking about MMOs that start with a sub and then go free to play (and all of them require you to fork over 60 bucks to start with), the comparison is apt. Not many truly free to play MMOs really gain traction over here for whatever reason.

It's even more fun when you buy ESO on the Failbox. 60 bucks purchase price, 15 bucks subscription, 50 bucks a year for live AND content hidden behind paywalls. KACHINGALING.

But going free-to-play for an MMO ambitious enough to try for subscriptions first is itself fundamentally different philosophically than one designed to sustain itself on F2P from the start. On top of the pressure from investors and shareholders to make as much as or more money than they would/could have from subs, they then have to wrestle with the early adopters who paid for that box and how to compensate them in some way compared to the influx of new people enjoying all of that for free. That is responsible for the largest pay walls that any of them (SWTOR, LOTRO, STO, and others) have to offer -- the concept of a "premium" account. It's optional, but they try their damnedest to make it appealing, and the best way to do that is offer real advantages that the free-loaders don't get.

The only thing allowing ArenaNet to offer what they do with GW2 is the box price. Without that, there's no telling what sorts of nonsense they'd have in their cash shop to try and gouge people with (they're already pretty silly with a lot of that stuff IMO). Whether or not a game is worth paying a subscription over, the one thing you cannot reasonably argue is that it is the most fair form of long-term monetization there is. Everybody pays the same and gets the same.

P.S. I still contend that the Imperial race for TESO is not content... I saw the racial "abilities," and calling them that is quite a stretch. They're no more significant than they are in Skyrim, which is to say hardly at all. Your choice of race is your choice of appearance and alliance, and that's pretty much it. Anyone can play any race in any alliance if they pre-order, but after launch that's all the Imperial race will be good for, is having your generic caucasian aesthetic no matter which of the three factions you choose. If that's content, then a unique armor skin you paid 800 gems for in GW2 is content.

17. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 12:47 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 11:14:
Task wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 10:35:
I'm sick of the F2P model in games, I really am, I hope it dies out completely in the game industry.

Yeah, because it really sucked when I felt like playing GW2 again after 15 months, logged back in and everything was there. I picked right up where I'd left off, all without paying a dime.

Just because most MMOs make a mess of either being F2P or going F2P doesn't mean the model somehow doesn't work if done well.

GW2 isn't free-to-play, it just doesn't have a sub. Still have to plunk down $40 just to get in the door (was $60 for a looong time), and then they supplement that with the cash shop that includes legit gold buying/selling. Big difference, the model in general is referred to as buy-to-play, compared to anything with a subscription being pay-to-play.

Unfortunately we're not likely at all to see a big-budget MMO doing proper (i.e. well-received and -liked) F2P because there's too much pressure to earn that investment back ASAP. You'll only ever see Path of Exile-type fairness to and faith in players from the little guys.

3. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 10:12 jacobvandy

Yeah, don't bother if you're looking for solo adventuring. Just made me want to play Skyrim again.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 22:52 jacobvandy

The reason DayZ doesn't have much in the way ofzombies going on right now is they're still working out object optimizations. Right now they would have to cut down the amount of loot on the ground in order to have more zombies, but that would just make things worse because they don't have item respawning working yet. They've talked about their plans to put in a lot more zombies than the mod, including giant roaming packs, as well as different types. They already have military zombies that are tougher than normal ones, for example.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
27. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 18:50 jacobvandy

I've also heard it might be causing him to attract unwanted attention from the authorities. He is based out of Vietnam, after all...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 17:43 jacobvandy

Yeah the bump in sales from pre-order happens immediately, then it slows to a trickle until release. Thief isn't even on the front page rotator right now.  

News Comments > Steam Adds Discoverability Options
4. Re: Steam Adds Discoverability Options Feb 7, 2014, 19:34 jacobvandy

AFAIK, if you're seeing Payday 2 announcements in your Activity feed, that means you joined their community group. If you don't want to see them, then quit the group.  

News Comments > 7 Days to Die Facelift; Sale
2. Re: 7 Days to Die Facelift; Sale Feb 7, 2014, 18:46 jacobvandy

It's been in the Top 10 on Steam several times already before this sale, which means The Fun Pimps are already richer than all of us wasting time here. Keep on livin' under your rock or buried in the sand or wherever you like to stay out of touch. Pimp  

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
12. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 7, 2014, 16:49 jacobvandy

NKD wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 16:29:
How would reselling "used" digital licenses work anyway? I don't really see that being a very profitable business model unless someone is taking a nice healthy cut.

It wouldn't.

Re-selling physical copies only works because a third party can take possession of the games and their self-contained licenses, paying the original owner so much less than it's worth on the open market that they can turn around and make a profit off of it while still selling cheaper than new. Digital is non-transferrable except at the discretion of the license provider. Steam has no incentive to give refunds (except in the form of goodwill under very specific and extreme circumstances), nor trade-ins when the license you've "used" has no inherent value whatsoever.

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced
9. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced Feb 7, 2014, 13:48 jacobvandy

Agreed, this can't come soon enough. SPAZ is one of the best indies ever made IMO.  

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Closed
30. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 16:04 jacobvandy

More players is not inherently better. In fact 64 is too much in a lot of Battlefield maps. If they think 6v6 works best with the way they've designed the game, you could at least wait to try it out before you start bashing it for no reason. If every player in Battlefield had their own 2-story robot that could also act autonomously, it'd be a huge clusterfuck; gameplay and network connectivity both would be completely unmanageable. They would have zero destructibility at the very least.  

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
8. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Feb 6, 2014, 01:35 jacobvandy

Greenlight doesn't mean they are releasing, just that they can release if/when they're ready.  

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
11. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 5, 2014, 23:32 jacobvandy

fatguy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 22:31:
What was pay to win about it? Like I said the starter mech everyone gets was one of the best.

Consumables that can only be bought with real money. Not the worst P2W stuff out there, but enough to rub people the wrong way. They add gameplay advantage on top of your normal mech ability loadout.

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
3. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 5, 2014, 18:55 jacobvandy

Don't mind the bitter MechWarrior fans, they've been through enough.  

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
27. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:23 jacobvandy

Don't know what to tell you boss, aside from stop buying Ubisoft games if it bothers you so much. I couldn't tell you what games are listed in my Uplay library, because I don't even go there in the client. I just click the X to close it after I'm done playing whatever game launched it.  

25. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 15:14 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:10:
I would agree except that at least two of the games I have on Origin were pulled into Origin from Steam (they still had to be downloaded in Origin, obviously). Ubisoft is the publisher of these games and they could easily pull the games from Steam into UPlay and allow me to play them directly from UPlay if they wanted to. There is zero reason I should need to run two digital distribution clients to play a single game. It's just laziness/cheapness on Ubisoft's part.

That's completely different, as Origin is giving you additional licensed copies of those games as a courtesy (and trying to get you away from using Steam). They are not just taking the Steam requirement out of your Steam games, because they can't. I guess you could complain about Ubisoft not doing the same charitable thing, but that's a bit petty...

Acleacius wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:12:
I do have mine set to Offline, it still forces me to log into uplay. Then the pcrap even pops up a prompt, every time I quit the game, to tell me thanks for playing.

I was referring to the online/social features of Far Cry 3, not Uplay itself.

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
4. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

They're smaller custom maps with specific objectives and scripting that challenge you to play in a specific way. Basically the gameplay equivalent of an RTS campaign mission.  

22. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 14:56 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:33:
I hate that it sees your Ubisoft games in Steam and then launches Steam to play those games. Just let me pull it into UPlay and launch it from there if you must but don't launch an entirely different digital distribution platform so that I can play your game. All that does is make your less robust application look pointless. I shouldn't have to be running Steam and UPlay to run a game.

If you bought the game on Steam, or redeemed key you bought somewhere else on Steam, then Steam is the DRM requirement for running that game. There's no way around that, except buying the game straight from Ubisoft instead.

2215 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo