Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2961 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Open Beta
10. Re: Dirty Bomb Open Beta Jun 2, 2015, 22:52 jacobvandy

You mean people actually played multiplayer in a Batman: Arkham game? That doesn't sound right to me. I think you can keep on saying ET:QW was the last one.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
30. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 18:42 jacobvandy

saluk wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 17:24:
I actually think this is going to make everybody more money in the long run. Easier refunds equals more impulse buys, which could very easily outweigh the money lost with handling the refunds.

People do refunds with chargebacks already too, so much better to have some control over the method of the refund and get the good will associated.

The only people who will make less money are the outright turds and the early access scams, which are exactly who we want to make less money.

Yup, I wonder if they default it to Steam wallet funds and most people won't realize they can change that... Valve wins again!

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
21. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 16:19 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:13:
Anyone else wondering how they are going to fund this game when they are giving away three games. each game cost at least 20 dollars. and there are 11580 backers. times that by 20 and that already over 230 thousand.

Seems like a lot of funding is going to get wasted on a free game promised.

Erm, you realize there's no way they're actually paying regular price for copies of games to give away? It costs them nothing to do so with their own game, and I doubt they're paying much in terms of actual dollars to GOG for Witcher keys, either, if at all.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
8. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:01 jacobvandy

LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted. Sometimes it takes five or ten hours to realize a game sucks or we just can't play it or that it is incomplete.

They had to cut it off somewhere... Two hours is also long enough to beat tons of games that are available there.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive
5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive Jun 2, 2015, 00:33 jacobvandy

WaltC wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 22:22:
I am all for a new Bard's Tale game--Bard's Tale IV sounds fine--but I have to ask--where's Fargo been for the last 20-25 years, eh? I could have used the fourth installment in the series a long time ago. It was actually due a couple of decades back, IIRC. We ought to be hitting around Bard's Tale VIII or so at this time...;) Better late than never, of course--but I have to wonder at the lack of judgement many of these game devs and/or publishers seem to have in terms of knowing their markets and what kinds of games their paying audiences want to see.

I think with many of these guys the problem is they are too close to the forest to see the proverbial tree--I mean, look at Chris Taylor's obvious confusion as to what people like/want to see. (I feel bad for the guy and hope he's getting along under his new boss.) It's like when a Kickstarter makes it and does amazing things--it's like the developers are dumbfounded and can't really understand it because they'd written these types of games off long ago for some unfathomable reasons. So here's Brian back with another Bard's Tale--only 15-20 years late, that is. Go figure...(Talk about "missed opportunities!)

The developers have been wanting to make these games for just about as long as you've been waiting... It's the publishers who have shot it down time and time again, so they are the ones who deserve your criticism. Hence why the rise of Kickstarter and crowd-funding in general has resulted in the return of so many classic franchises and genres. Did you think it was just a coincidence?

And beyond that, Brian Fargo did not have the rights to the Bard's Tale IP until just recently. Another issue you can take up with a big publisher, Electronic Arts, which has been sitting on it for decades. The last game they made in this vein, 2004's The Bard's Tale by inXile, only loosely borrowed its themes and could not use any of the same story or characters (however, it seems the title was no longer trademarked, heh).

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hatred
15. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hatred Jun 1, 2015, 23:46 jacobvandy

If the top several "most helpful" entries are anything to go by, I'd say a majority of them are meaningless joke reviews. Which is a pretty big problem with Steam community reviews in general. At least Amazon moderates their user opinions to the point of requiring you say things about the actual product.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hatred
5. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hatred Jun 1, 2015, 20:33 jacobvandy

Except that it's just too buggy and poorly designed to be worth playing at all, from what I've read. RPS says the controller is unusable and KBM is barely serviceable... When have you ever heard that about a twin-stick shooter?  

News Comments > XCOM 2 Announced
6. Re: XCOM 2 Announced Jun 1, 2015, 17:41 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 17:24:
From a continuity standpoint, not sure how they will explain away my squad of utter badasses seemingly eradicating several alien species with relative ease in the first game and expansion.

This is being discussed everywhere, but the best answer I've seen is this: That whole game was based on one mothership arriving, one little invasion force, and it took all the developed nations across this planet pooling their resources into an elite fighting force to defeat that... All the aliens had to do was come back with more. It probably only took 2 or 3 motherships, but for the sake of your ego, let's call it 100, and you fought valiantly.

Runner-up explanation: they made all those failed Classic Iron-man campaigns into canon. XD

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
22. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 14:27 jacobvandy

Yes! That's the other point I forgot to mention, is I also never haggled and even refused payment sometimes. After the first few times trying to haggle and getting like, 2 gold extra... I never bothered again. I'm sure it's more lucrative later on, but by then I was already rich and didn't care.

I do remember how scant things were in the beginning, but you're fine as long as you're doing side quests and earning weapon/armor upgrades that way, for free. You should never be truly broke when there's so much loot just waiting for you out there.

20. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 14:00 jacobvandy

By the time I was level 20, I had 30k gold... At that point I stopped giving a fuck about spending anything, was crafting Witcher gear and upgrading alchemy items like crazy just buying whatever materials I needed, re-allocating skill points a bunch of times to try different builds (re-spec potions cost 1000g each), and I never paid much attention to where I was selling items, either. Still ended at level 35 with 40k.  

17. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 13:10 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 12:31:
Ok, small peeve and I'll crawl back in my hole....

If the cutscenes were "pre-rendered" then there wouldn't be any performance issues... it would basically just be playing a video file at that point. This would deliver a better product IMO... but pre-rendered scenes aren't used anymore because of storage limits.

Most likely TW3 cutscenes are either frame-locked at 30FPS (DA:I and others have done this recently), or simply enabling too many unwanted eye-candy features when they are running. TW2 had options for cutscene rendering separate from the game itself, would be nice to see those return.

Yes, in-game cutscenes are locked to 30fps by default, and they enable ubersampling for higher-detail on close shots of characters.

But I had no problems with those. My issue was with what pre-rendered cinematic videos they do have, which are used in scenes that I can only guess were deemed too complex to be reliably rendered in real-time on most machines... They're really awful. Between the compression artifacts and a framerate of what must be in the 15-20 range that causes animations to look stiff and choppy, they really detract from a viewing experience that is otherwise really crisp and buttery smooth. And this during key points in the story, when an epic battle or other climax is happening!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. XCOM 2 in November Jun 1, 2015, 12:38 jacobvandy

Where's the announcement, Blue??

http://xcom.com

The aliens won the war, they created Advent. Now you have to liberate Earth.

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
22. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 12:36 jacobvandy

Frijoles wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 12:27:
Drayth wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 11:31:
I'm using one. It's one of those things that once you move to it you're never going to want to go back to using a non-adaptive synch monitor. But then again I always played with vsync on before.. if you always play with vysnc off I guess it's going to be the same experience, minus the tearing.

Does it fuck with your mouse? I leave vsync off because of how it screws the mouse up and makes me want to punch something. Wouldn't mind getting rid of tearing, but not if my mouse feels like I'm dragging it through mud.

The whole point of G-sync (and moving the sync operations from GPU software to monitor hardware) is it's not supposed to introduce any input lag. But I haven't tried it myself.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 17:10 jacobvandy

Finally finished Witcher 3 last night, after 120 hours or so. It was awesome, AND I got a surprisingly good and fulfilling ending without even really trying! Except for (SPOILERS) Radovid still being alive because I didn't follow through the assassination subplot and him winning the war and hunting down and exterminating all nonhumans and remaining mages/witches/herbalists, but who cares! Seeing Ciri become a witcher and set off on her own adventures with a brand new silver sword you give her made it all worth it. (/SPOILERS)

Now I count down the days to an expansion...

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 16:05 jacobvandy

You don't deserve a refund simply because you do not like a game. No matter how exorbitantly negative your views on it are.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns PvP Beta Next Week
3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns PvP Beta Next Week May 30, 2015, 14:25 jacobvandy

Jonjonz wrote on May 30, 2015, 07:18:
Nobody does hype like GW2's PR department. But, role-playing in PvP? Some one in their marketing droids seem confused on that mix.

They said "role-based play," which is what you might say to describe having classes in so many other games. It's a valid distinction to make against the current sPVP gameplay.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
9. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 29, 2015, 23:16 jacobvandy

Nut wrote on May 29, 2015, 22:17:
Disclaimer: I have no idea how these things work.

However, it seems like:

1] Publisher and developer falsely promote game with mockup advertising

2] Developer subcontracts out development

3] Only publisher and not developer is left legally culpable for false advertising

4] ???

I get that this is a civil case, but these settlements where certain parties yet not others are magically exonerated via settlement, against any logical argument of guilt of the various parties as a whole, makes me facepalm.

It was the decision of the plaintiffs (the guys suing SEGA) to let Gearbox off the hook. They were not "magically exonerated," they were just putting up a fight. Sounds like the plaintiffs weren't willing to put up with that much hassle to make a point (and they didn't have sufficient evidence against Gearbox, otherwise they wouldn't have let them go). So now they're just going for whatever money they can get from the party left holding the bag.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale in Spring?
11. Re: Steam Summer Sale in Spring? May 29, 2015, 22:04 jacobvandy

clint wrote on May 29, 2015, 20:56:
a small petty nitpick but i wish they had another name than 'summer' sale since alot of the world will not be entering summer in june.

They've been having hemisphere-neutral events for a few years now. For example, this is from Holiday '13

3. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 29, 2015, 18:19 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on May 29, 2015, 17:59:
Wasn't there recently news that you could get some kind of refund from a lump sum of cash?

The article touches on that, apparently nothing was finalized. And now that it's no longer a class action, that's off the table completely. It was ruled that you can't just say everyone who bought the game deserves a refund, it'd have to be limited to people who can reasonably attest to having been misled. Can't say I disagree.

So, if SEGA settles, they'll only be paying the two guys who filed the suit. Something tells me they won't be splitting $1.25 million, either.

News Comments > Overwatch Video
5. Re: Overwatch Video May 29, 2015, 12:50 jacobvandy

I need to hear that bitch's death sigh every 10 seconds like I need a hole in the head!  

2961 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo