Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2211 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
12. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:41 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:28:
Precisely, which is why it is just about the most useless feature Steam has ever rolled out. I don't need something like this to share a game with my kid because I can just log into my account and let him play any game I have with no bullshit "cannot be shared" issues. There are zero technical reasons I shouldn't be able to play a game while sharing out my library and allowing a friend on an entirely different machine to play an entirely different game simultaneously. Its no different than me coughing up the discs of a game I'm no longer playing so that he can have a run at it like we all did in the old days. Or does no one remember the days when we had that much control over our games?

That "control" was technically illegal... Remember all the DRM solutions that involved limiting activations? You were never authorized to transfer the software license (you never owned the software itself) to another person, so they were coming up with ways to limit that behavior in a manner that wouldn't piss off people too much. Now with digital distribution and subscription accounts, they can prevent it entirely. The "good old days" of copying floppies and passing around CDs is gone, get over it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
5. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 13:54 jacobvandy

If you're not playing a Steam game of yours (ex: I got sucked into Minecraft again lately, been playing almost nothing else for two weeks), someone else [whom you trust] can. That's the benefit... If you don't see the value in that, it wasn't made for you. It's essentially legitimizing sharing your credentials, which they know people often do; so when you give your login info to someone else (as mentioned, can be indirectly now by simply logging in on their computer), they can still be logged in to their account when they play your games. It is NOT meant to be a way for you to simply glom some free games off of other people whenever you want.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2014, 14:00.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Next Month
10. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Next Month Feb 28, 2014, 20:23 jacobvandy

Bumpy wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 18:52:
This will mark one of (if not the first?) major AAA kickstarter game to completion.

Will be interesting to see how much content and quality the game will have.

I wouldn't call this AAA at all. Wasteland, Torment, and Eternity far surpass its budget, and those are barely able to be considered borderline AAA.

News Comments > Saga Heroes Kickstarter
1. Re: Saga Heroes Kickstarter Feb 27, 2014, 13:05 jacobvandy

They better double that amount if they're going to survive being sued by those Candy Crush fucks.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2014, 14:06 jacobvandy

That man is a ticking time bomb. It's one thing to subsist purely on different kinds of pizza because you can absolutely get a decent variety of nutrition from the toppings, but nothing but cheese pizza? How do you not shit bricks every day of your life and then die when it finally plugs you up for good?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2014, 13:49 jacobvandy

Here's another key for the ESO beta: 9HA673GMGXNMHRRMHWG7  

News Comments > Steam Video Capture Utility
13. Re: Steam Video Capture Utility Feb 24, 2014, 21:08 jacobvandy

Title should read "liteCam Video Capture Utility Released on Steam." As it is now definitely implies the Steam client had a feature added. I can see no reason why they even have the word 'Steam' in their product description, it's not like it's integrated in any way, is it?  

News Comments > Dean Hall Leaving Bohemia and DayZ Later This Year
18. Re: Dean Hall Leaving Bohemia and DayZ Later This Year Feb 24, 2014, 13:09 jacobvandy

Sounds like Notch to me. Becoming bored with your passion project as soon as its successful enough to open up opportunities you thought you'd never have. DayZ will be fine, though; Rocket may have been the visionary for the project, but as far as I know he's spent more time managing, doing PR, and mo-capping zombie animations than actually programming anything. In other words, he isn't really needed for development.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 12:31 jacobvandy

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:00:
Edit: I wonder if that CoD Ghost is actual sales or whoever downloaded the game during the free weekend counts as sales

The list is based on revenue...

News Comments > Garry's Mod & Rust Have Each Earned > $30M
9. Re: Garry's Mod & Rust Have Each Earned > $30M Feb 22, 2014, 23:47 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 15:28:
Wow, how the fuck has Rust already made 30 million in alpha stage? Mind boggling. I can almost understand Garry's mod earning those kind of numbers, but even that is impressive.

I assume that those are the gross numbers, not the developers' actual take home pay? Still, nice income.

Anyway, all of these multiplayer survival games are just devolving into PK fests. That probably shows something about human psychology, but mostly it's just making me glad I've almost entirely avoided this recent game trend.

His specifying what percentage of the gross they get for each game leads me to believe that is what Garry is being paid cash, not what the game is making on Steam.

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
6. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 13:03 jacobvandy

Well remember that story yesterday, with Tim being so very excited about porting the game and future point-and-clicks to tablets and shit? He's got dollar signs in his eyes, and that's all about pleasing the as-yet untapped touch-screen masses, not nostalgic PC gamer backers.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 21, 2014, 21:47 jacobvandy

True, but watch them let Comcast buy out Time Warner, instead...  

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Hollow Lullaby" Trailer
9. Re: Dark Souls II Feb 21, 2014, 16:34 jacobvandy

You might spend 10 hours kind of floundering at the beginning when you don't know what you're doing, but then you make a new character (because you realize you screwed up your progression or just want a different starting point) and can beat the game in 30-40 hours. Pretty average, time-wise, for an RPG.  

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
13. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 21:04 jacobvandy

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 20:45:
None of this would be needed if it weren't for steam DRM and the lack of people being able to run their own game servers. People could just ban IP's/votekick cheaters, go to other servers/use third party anti cheat that modders developed.

None of what you just said makes any sense. How does Steam as DRM relate to hackers at all, aside from VAC bans being account-wide? The majority of games still have people running their own servers... VAC is meant to prevent people from causing issues in your server to begin with (after they've been caught elsewhere), so you don't have to go to the trouble of kicking or banning them yourself. It's a global blacklist that you don't have to worry about maintaining yourself, how is that not a plus? Finally, games CAN and DO use additional third-party anti-cheats alongside VAC.

News Comments > Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing
11. Re: Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing Feb 11, 2014, 22:07 jacobvandy

I'm sure they're thrilled at the reception, but how miffed would you be if you were them and this did better than Sanctum 2?  

News Comments > Broforce Beta Sales; Steam Early Access Next Month
4. Re: Broforce Beta Sales; Steam Early Access Next Month Feb 11, 2014, 20:28 jacobvandy

Not starving enough; pixel art is cheaper!  

News Comments > Thief Trailer
12. Re: Thief Trailer Feb 11, 2014, 14:31 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 13:20:
Flatline wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 13:12:
Yawn. Another super corrupt snidely whiplash evil bad guy.

Why not break the trend and make him a genuinely good person trying to do a needed job in a city overrun with crime? Don't team up with Garrett, don't have a sudden twist, but have the balls to introduce a guy who is clearly an antagonist but is not a villain.

When your main character is a thief, you often have to go above and beyond to make it clear he's not the bad guy and not just some dick taking shit from other people.

What's wrong with playing a bad guy, though? I don't get why fluffy mainstream game writers are still staying away from anti-heroes, despite the insane popularity of shows like Breaking Bad.

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
16. Re: Adam Orth Feb 10, 2014, 21:53 jacobvandy

Sugarman wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 20:42:
"Office Space" is all I could think of after seeing this.

Tom Smykowski
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Heh, I remember using that clip among a couple others from the movie as the basis for an oral report on communication styles in my group speech class back in college. Others included condescending jerkwad Lumberg and cool, confident [hypnotized] Peter. Everybody loved our presentation.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
22. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 13:55 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:18:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:47:
GW2 isn't free-to-play, it just doesn't have a sub.

Right, but since we are talking about MMOs that start with a sub and then go free to play (and all of them require you to fork over 60 bucks to start with), the comparison is apt. Not many truly free to play MMOs really gain traction over here for whatever reason.

It's even more fun when you buy ESO on the Failbox. 60 bucks purchase price, 15 bucks subscription, 50 bucks a year for live AND content hidden behind paywalls. KACHINGALING.

But going free-to-play for an MMO ambitious enough to try for subscriptions first is itself fundamentally different philosophically than one designed to sustain itself on F2P from the start. On top of the pressure from investors and shareholders to make as much as or more money than they would/could have from subs, they then have to wrestle with the early adopters who paid for that box and how to compensate them in some way compared to the influx of new people enjoying all of that for free. That is responsible for the largest pay walls that any of them (SWTOR, LOTRO, STO, and others) have to offer -- the concept of a "premium" account. It's optional, but they try their damnedest to make it appealing, and the best way to do that is offer real advantages that the free-loaders don't get.

The only thing allowing ArenaNet to offer what they do with GW2 is the box price. Without that, there's no telling what sorts of nonsense they'd have in their cash shop to try and gouge people with (they're already pretty silly with a lot of that stuff IMO). Whether or not a game is worth paying a subscription over, the one thing you cannot reasonably argue is that it is the most fair form of long-term monetization there is. Everybody pays the same and gets the same.

P.S. I still contend that the Imperial race for TESO is not content... I saw the racial "abilities," and calling them that is quite a stretch. They're no more significant than they are in Skyrim, which is to say hardly at all. Your choice of race is your choice of appearance and alliance, and that's pretty much it. Anyone can play any race in any alliance if they pre-order, but after launch that's all the Imperial race will be good for, is having your generic caucasian aesthetic no matter which of the three factions you choose. If that's content, then a unique armor skin you paid 800 gems for in GW2 is content.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
17. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 12:47 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 11:14:
Task wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 10:35:
I'm sick of the F2P model in games, I really am, I hope it dies out completely in the game industry.

Yeah, because it really sucked when I felt like playing GW2 again after 15 months, logged back in and everything was there. I picked right up where I'd left off, all without paying a dime.

Just because most MMOs make a mess of either being F2P or going F2P doesn't mean the model somehow doesn't work if done well.

GW2 isn't free-to-play, it just doesn't have a sub. Still have to plunk down $40 just to get in the door (was $60 for a looong time), and then they supplement that with the cash shop that includes legit gold buying/selling. Big difference, the model in general is referred to as buy-to-play, compared to anything with a subscription being pay-to-play.

Unfortunately we're not likely at all to see a big-budget MMO doing proper (i.e. well-received and -liked) F2P because there's too much pressure to earn that investment back ASAP. You'll only ever see Path of Exile-type fairness to and faith in players from the little guys.

2211 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo