Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2247 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Apr 8, 2014, 18:44 jacobvandy

Loving those buffs! Also the crafting/mats fixes...

I was playing around with a Reflect/Thorns build with my Crusader yesterday (plus a cool Leg. hammer effect that makes mobs explode for 450% of my Life on Kill in 20 yards when they die) and did end up critting myself for 5+ million damage a few times, lol. Pretty sure that had to do with the bastard fat goat mage guys in the Tower of the Damned and the shields they cast, though. The dervishes in Act 2 do something similar with projectiles, especially the key-warden there. I'm not aware of any glitch with Blessed Shield, as I use that as my main wrath spender and I've not had any mishaps against any other mobs than the aforementioned. Still, exercising caution with any kind of retaliatory effects in HC mode is always a good idea.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2014, 13:00 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 12:31:
If the NSA wants to spy on you there are far more easier and better ways to do it than kinect. All the gamers bitching about it have an iphone, a PC , ipad, facebook ,Instagram Twitter etc, a drivers license and social security number...stfu already.

True but out of all of those only the Kinect potentially gives them a realtime videostream of what goes on in your home (though I have heard rumors that there are hacks to remotely activate and monitor your webcam). Data snapshots are one thing; call me paranoid but realtime video monitoring is a little too Orewellian for me.

Not for nothin'... Those aren't rumors. Real people in certain programming/engineering circles don't keep tape over their camera lenses because of "rumors."

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Specs
2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Specs Apr 8, 2014, 12:55 jacobvandy

Expecting it to look and run the same as last-gen Assassin's Creed then? I'm thinking this is going to be the norm for big multi-platform titles going forward, so might as well get used to it. Mid-range GTX 500 series as the minimum sounds about right when we're already knee-deep in the 700 series and with the 800s right around the corner...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 11:30 jacobvandy

Honestly I didn't even notice. I watched the last episode(s) when they aired and that was it, so I guess I forgot the pretty boy. So really it's no big deal, you know Daario is the only exotic rascal there and the new guy fits the part well enough to not make a difference.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 7, 2014, 12:28 jacobvandy

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the people who actually engineered the 360 hardware or at least have access to detailed specs can create an emulator that is a hell of a lot more efficient than your average Joe Schmoe homebrewer. Those things are always a crapshoot because of how much guesswork and troubleshooting is involved; eliminate much of that and you won't have near the performance or compatibility issues.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 7, 2014, 12:21 jacobvandy

They get a 3/10 on that Simpsons intro for not making things blocky enough, but creeper Moe bumped it up to a 6 or 7.  

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
45. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 7, 2014, 12:04 jacobvandy

Also remember that the South Park game was in production for a good while at THQ, before they imploded and Ubisoft came to buy it up. They had no feature integration for Uplay and luckily weren't mandated to crowbar it in there during that last year or so of development.

Quinn wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 08:44:
GTX680 so I'm in the clear. Don't care about the other specs -- as long as the rest of your rig is only sligtly above average, nothing will bottleneck your GPU.

I wouldn't say that... If it's anything like GTA simulation-wise, then it will be very heavily CPU dependent. Back when GTA IV came out, I had a GTX 275 and Core 2 Duo E6600. When I got another 275 for SLI, I gained only 5-10 FPS. But when I upgraded to a Core i7 920, my FPS doubled compared to what it was originally. The CPU was holding back my GPU capability, despite being the most popular gaming chip of a few years previous and heavily overclocked as to be performing identically to the then $1000 Extreme Edition variant.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2014, 12:12.

32. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 7, 2014, 02:26 jacobvandy

No, he's going up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo mode, which all Core i5s and i7s use by default. It's basically built-in super safe overclocking, and if you wanted to disable Turbo mode and just make it run that speed at all times, you could. It's not uncommon for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge chips to effortlessly OC by a full extra GHz, though.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

Slashman wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 00:52:
What exactly are you talking about? They made Sanctum and Sanctum 2. Sanctum 1 was successful enough to fund development of the sequel which has a 77 on Metacritic and was released on console as well.

A game doesn't need CoD numbers to be a success if it is profitable for the studio making it.

I like Sanctum, I like that they were able to make a sequel, but how can you say that it's not underwhelming when that franchise pales in comparison to a spontaneous spoof... Sanctum sold 300k in its first year, peaking at 1300 concurrent players the first week and 4400 players the first time it went on sale later that year. They haven't released sales figures for the sequel yet, but they sure slashed the prices quick after peaking at 2400 concurrent players on release day, eventually leading to a breakthrough last January when they sold the game and DLC for 85% off where they peaked at 14000 players (and a lot of that was because of the free weekend). But even that is barely a blip on the Steam radar. Goat fucking Simulator, on the other hand, already peaked at 10,000 and sold enough to be the #1 top seller for the week. Neither Sanctum game ever made the top 10, not even the sequel on the aforementioned biggest weekend it ever had. Estimates based on global rankings on the in-game leaderboards put copies sold at more than 128k the first day.

So yeah, Sanctum 1/2 may not have been total failures, but I didn't say that. I just implied they did pretty shitty, because that's the truth. They were received decently by critics and a small fanbase, but I guarantee you they didn't live up to Coffee Stain's expectations. Maybe they'll put this goat money into making Sanctum 3 a better game? Though I have to think they're really re-evaluating their methods as developers when the games they pour months or years of blood, sweat, and tears into get outshined in every measure by a 3-month, effortless joke.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 22:34 jacobvandy

Well the popularity may have been a happy accident for them, but Goat Simulator is absolutely a product of overblown social media hype, and if you missed that you've kind of been under a rock lately. Couple guys at the studio fool around for a month learning Unreal Engine and spoofing the simulator genre, and share the ludicrous result on YouTube to become a viral sensation. They get loads of people asking them to make it a full game, so they take a few months to add on to it (but also preserving many of the wacky bugs and glitches that made it so entertaining), and cash in on April Fools' Day. I'm glad it worked out for them, I guess, especially since their more serious attempts at game development have seen underwhelming success, but this is basically a PC version of Flappy Bird flash in the pan fad shit.  

7. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 6, 2014, 14:54 jacobvandy

It's always good to see system requirements on the rise. Everyone's been complaining that they haven't been pushing the envelope and thus haven't been giving us a reason to upgrade for years, and now they finally start to and we're gonna complain about the price of RAM? Sack up, fellas, this is what we live for!  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 6, 2014, 14:49 jacobvandy

It didn't "lose half its value," it was pumped up over the holidays and stayed at or above $1000 for barely 2-3 months. The smart people then cashed out and burst that bubble, but now it is still worth double what it was this time last year. Which itself was right after it first started to take off, following spending the entire year of 2012 gently rising between $3 and $15... The gambling idiots are the ones sweating daily/weekly/monthly price fluctuations and losing money because they have no idea what they're doing. It's like a stock market with zero barrier to entry, so of course it's full of 90% small-time morons.  

News Comments > DayZ Plans
3. Re: DayZ Plans Apr 5, 2014, 13:46 jacobvandy

Unfortunately, that would require they implement an actual melee system, as opposed to simulating a short range bullet being fired at a single point every time you swing... So if it ever happens, it might take them 'til 2020.  

News Comments > Age of Mythology Extended Edition Next Month
10. Re: Age of Mythology Extended Edition Next Month Apr 3, 2014, 13:23 jacobvandy

Regular price is $30, lawl...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 11:39 jacobvandy

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 10:50:
I like how they used the wrong "it's." I guess the game budget doesn't provide for a proofreader.

Nope, 'cause they spend that money on some nerd from Games Workshop who reads through and makes sure they use terms like "telly-porta" correctly.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
35. Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:59 jacobvandy

Yeah... I don't think anyone asked you, Chris.  

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access
40. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 06:19 jacobvandy

Early Access is hardly synonymous with crowd-funding... Unlike Kickstarter or other project sites, it's not just a donation, you're actually making a purchase. You get something in return immediately along with entitlements to future updates. There are no as-yet non-existent games on Steam Early Access; if you don't like what's currently on offer, or you're not interested in supporting further development, you don't buy it. Just like any traditional release of the past umpteen years. Only unlike traditional releases, the digital age allows [usually independent] developers to be much more transparent in their everyday activities and in some cases even borderline collaborative with their target audience. I don't get how anyone could possibly be against that.  

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access
5. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 16:50 jacobvandy

Milking what? Their game's release? The people buying now don't have to buy again later, it's a pre-order... Only difference versus non-EA releases is they get to play now.  

News Comments > Runic Cofounders Leaving
4. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 27, 2014, 11:31 jacobvandy

Blah blah blah... If you liked working a small indie studio environment, maybe you shouldn't have sold out? But I guess he'd rather have his cake and eat it, too.  

News Comments > $100 Wolfenstein: The New Order CE Has Statue, No Game
11. Re: $100 Wolfenstein: The New Order CE Has Statue, No Game Mar 26, 2014, 23:20 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 22:21:
Panzerfaust?

Now THAT would be a CE goodie worth getting excited about, even if it fired potatoes or something.

2247 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo